Speaker 1: You're listening to another mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mumma Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gadigul people of the Eor nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and torres Rate Islander cultures.
Speaker 1: Hi, it's Anal's Todd here from This Glorious Mess, introducing Hot Pod Summer, one hundred hours of curated listening across the Mummamere network, just for you to escape the chaos and enjoy with the kids at home and the weather warming up. We've got episodes of Parents Anonymous to share. Parents Anonymous is part game show, part church confessional. You share your deepest parenting shame, and myself and Stacey Hicks rate you, but the worst parenting wins the most points, so really you can't lose. And if you want more, there's a link in the show Enjoy Parents Anonymous. Welcome to This Glorious Mess. I'm Annealie Todd, single parent, self confessed hot mess and happily learning on the job that is parenting.
Speaker 3: And I'm Stacy Hicks. I'm the deputy editor at Mumma Mia, and I'm much more alive and much less filled. It's not than I was last time.
Speaker 1: So it's looking good, which selfishly, I am very grateful.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry for putting you through that. Thanks for putting up with me. This is our favorite time of week where you let out all of your parenting confessions in our very silly version of group therapy.
Speaker 1: This is Parents Anonymous, where you share your story and get the guilt off your chest. And it's just a way to release the shame and the guilt. And I've got some shame and guilt to release for you, sweet Stacy. And then we give you points based on our very serious and very scientific grading system, which is.
Speaker 3: Really not scientific at all. We just grade you how we're feeling at the time.
Speaker 1: It's a vibe check and we're all in this together.
Speaker 3: So first off, every episode we confess something that we've done, just to make sure it's a safe space. We're not sitting up on our high horse. No, So what's yours this week?
Speaker 1: It's dangerous not giving single parents a good name.
Speaker 3: Oh and I am.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's like, oh, that single mum's house, you know, it's giving that so I had some friends over, and the children had their friends over. And I have a little rooftop, little private, very chic, very secret life of us rooftop nice for some, I know, thank you so much, tiny townhouse, but the rooftop is the selling point. And so the children were on the rooftop and this is three stories high, and there's a little ledge all the way around a rooftop, as one would suspect and need given it three stories high. And I was downstairs working on the ground level, and one of the children ran outside and looked up and started conversing with a child where there is no rooftop but just another landing of just a flat piece of metal that is not part of the enclosed rooftop. So I ran up and the kids had jumped over the edge of the balcony and were just running around free range, three stories in the sky with no barricade, and I died and screamed. I had to actually send a little group chat message to my friend saying, please, can you talk to your children about not climbing over the rooftop barrier and running around in open space three stories high. I did tell them off. Full disclosure.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they do things that you don't think it's necessary to tell them is not a good idea, and then they just do it anyway. So I feel like this isn't on you.
Speaker 1: I blame YouTube game show giving jackass. That's what it's giving exactly, And I would like to blame external influencers that are not myself. It's fine, but I did endanger the lives of other people's to it, not my own. My kids knew not to do it. It's just sett of humble brag in there. Yes, the genius kids didn't do it because they're probably scared of the wrath of me. But the other people's children did put their lives in danger and it was a little bit scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a little bit scary, but nothing bad happened, so we're okay.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Well, my little confession this week look not one of my best parenting performances. But my daughter thinks sleep is for the week, and so she does this fun little thing sometimes, particularly when mummies stayed up and scrolled on TikTok for too long, those are the nights she chooses. She somehow knows to then wake up from about one until about four.
Speaker 1: That is so annoying.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 1: She's not self sufficient. It's not like she's off playing tea sets on her own.
Speaker 3: She's she's three, and it's all about that Mummy needs to be in with her doing whatever she's decided acting or like no not well one minute yes and one minute no. She just decides on the vibe. But it got to about the two hour mark and I was just sick of it, and she won't let me leave the room. So I made up the excuse, mummy's just got a wee. I'm just gonna wea. I'll be right back. But instead I went an ate grated cheese straight from the packet in the lounge room because I was at that point.
Speaker 1: You mean, my sustenance at that time.
Speaker 3: I did. I did. I was not prepared to be up for two hours into three hours in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: So that's what I did.
Speaker 3: Maybe shnak, yeah, look could have been worse. It's fine. Could have been a vodka.
Speaker 1: Well what I felt like, that's probably what I would have done, ye little medicinal red.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that would have been nice. Avoided that, So I'm gonna take it as a wind.
Speaker 1: Compared to me and endangering the lives of minus yours is a very minor. Mine's quite pathetic now, but anyway, moving on now, this show doesn't exist without your guilty confessions, and as you can hear, we express ours. Sometimes they're worse than others. I was pretty bad this week. I'll step up my game next week. Thank you so much to do something more danger I will do something horrible, do better, and by better I mean worse. But we would love you to leave us a voice note, or if you want to be fully anonymous, you can email us and we'll even read them out for you, so it will not be your voice. We will not use your name. No one will ever know it's you. Thank you, and keep sharing because they bring us so much joy in our otherwise bleak lives they do. All the links and how you can send us your stories are in the show notes for all your confession options, and on today's show, the three new confessions that we have not heard yed are called Babies, home Improvement Right, Actual Emergency Services, requiet, Oh this is new, and home Alone. I do love that movie. An All right, let's go.
Speaker 3: My son has just started what feels like a deep obsession with the inside of cupboards. He calls to anything with a door and tries to open it to either get in or pull everything out. It's way earlier than I thought this stuff would happen, and feel completely underprepared, and also like a parent who has not childproofed anything, literally nothing. It's like I blinked, and now he's crawling. So I got a handyman to install a bunch of child safety devices on cupboards, doors, and drawers. They are so good that I cannot even get into them. So now I don't latch them up and I just leave them open, so I may as well have not got them in the first place. So embarrassing. Ah. Look, I never did the childproofing thing for this exact reason, because when I went to other people's houses that had kids, I was one of the last ones in my group to have kids. I would have that thing of being like, sorry, how do I open our fridge or how do I open your cupboard? I really think it's more just you know, you move the knifes up high and everything else. It's a learning exercise for them.
Speaker 1: It is one of the most annoying phases one hundred percent the cupboard phase and also they jam their fingers in the cupboard. Yeah, it's not even about the mess or the danger, it's just annoying. Do you know what I did for this age and stage? And this is for me, who's quite useless. I think this is quite level. I had one cupboard that was all just plastic tupperware kid's plates, and that was the lowest and that was the one that they had the access to. That was the pulling out things cupboard. And it was always messy, disorganized. It always was covered in like dog hair or human hair because it was all over the ground. And then it was shoved in at the end of the day. And that was the things cupboard. And that's how I got through that phase.
Speaker 3: That was one of our activities that got us through, you know, in the depths where you're counting down to the next nap, when they're in that thinking.
Speaker 1: More until like four o'clock.
Speaker 3: Wine that too, but when you're like, okay, we've got forty five minutes left on this wake window, which I was such a psycho with that stuff. But then I would be like, what else can we do? And one of the things I would let her do. Granted I had my baby in lockdown. So spare thought for me was that she would play in the tupperwar draw for about it. So you've just got to let them play with these things, to be honest, that's the stuff they like more than toys. So really this is a cost saving exercise for you. The fact that you can't get these cupboards closed is going to benefit you in the long run. Couse, he lives times. Just entertain them with a.
Speaker 1: Little any weight or two, it's fine. I'd like to bring up that back in our day, or more accurately for your day. No, our parent no, I had little baby closy things that I sort of stuck around and then never used. As well, our parents didn't use them, and we managed to survive. I think as long as there's like no access to harmful chemicals or steak knives, yeah you're winning. It's everything else is kind of like whatever, Yeah, it's fine, So what are we rating this one? Then it's very mild, it's very inoffensive. I think points come off for the wasted money of the handyman, because you could have just popped off to Bunnings and stuck them on yourself and then knock those and that would have been cheaper.
Speaker 3: Look, that part's embarrassing. I'm not gonna lie to it is. But you're among friends. I do this too.
Speaker 1: That was that was an unnecessary outsourced cost. Yeah, I think I'm going to give them six little cups of poison out of ten.
Speaker 3: I ended up just doing a big old baby gate that was so ugly, but a retractable one though, that went across.
Speaker 1: Our trip over every time that you walked in and out. I did, accai.
Speaker 3: I'm a very tall person and stepped over at one time and tripped over onto the floor and winded myself. So I'm giving you eight baby gates out of ten.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on the next one, Stace, what have we got actual emergency services required? I am the worst parent in the world.
Speaker 3: I could give you a close run.
Speaker 1: Few months we've all thought that obviously, Oh I leave my baby in the car when I pick up my toddler from daycare. Oh god, it's too hard to wrangle them both, and it's a two minute in and out. But this time I locked them in the car, and then I was the mom having the full blown meltdown in the car park, had to get an emergency locksmith. And now I don't leave my baby in the car. Ever, does she mean.
Speaker 3: She locked them both in the car? Somehow that's less bad yes, than just a baby than just the Somehow, I don't know. Somehow endangering both your children is less bad for the optics with the other daycare parents because it doesn't look like you left your baby alone. You just it was a little miss.
Speaker 1: It looked more like an accident than if you just locked the baby. Then they would know that that was intentional.
Speaker 3: Look, I can see why you do this, because getting a baby in and out of a car.
Speaker 1: Seat is the most annoying thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why we don't have the ones like in America where they swivel and so you can just get them in and out really easily.
Speaker 1: You've got to bend over and crunch it out, and they cry, and then.
Speaker 3: When you've got a toddler who's checking a tantrum when you're on the way out. I totally understand why you've done it. And it is literally a quick in and out.
Speaker 1: Although I would like to state legally that it is illegal to leave your baby in a car, so just I just want illegal.
Speaker 3: To jaywalk too. But we're all doing it.
Speaker 1: We're not recommending that you leave baby vocating animals, you know as well, just a little cheeky caveat Okay, all right, legalities you with the rules today.
Speaker 3: Yes, not advocating for it. But everyone does it.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone's done it at least once. Yes, definitely yes see see. But I think that this was a good learning This was a learning tool for this person because now they don't do it anymore. That's why I'm an advocate for public shame, because when we have moments of public shame, which I'm assuming this was a pretty big one. Yeah, then we don't do it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, how I'm done. They're obviously fine, You're obviously a great mum. You snapped into actually did the right thing. So we're giving you seven car keys out of ten.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you because this is pretty bad. So it's like we're rating it as so we're rating it really high or really low because it's pretty bad. Okay, okay. And for the fact that you told us about it, Yeah, I love you for telling us. And the fact that the daycare people will definitely would have been judging you.
Speaker 3: They would have been a group chat going around.
Speaker 1: And the early educators as well as the other parents could have very much been judging this. So for that, I'm going to give you nine and a half locksmiths. Love that. Now it's a biggie.
Speaker 3: Confession. Three home alone, I leave my Oh, we've got a theme this week. I leave my son alone a lot. H. I don't mean in the I'm going to the gym. Catch you laid away. Here's the thing. He's four months old. Oh, he's at the point where he's awake for twelve hours a day.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong. When the kid smiles and all laughs, I swoon with butterflies. But I don't understand how parents can do the whole. I stimulate my baby all day long. Most of the time, I'm the last thing he's interested in. He wants to look at the fish tank, he wants to play with his toys, swipe at the floppy giraffe on his play mat, or watch his mobile. So during the day I spend what is probably a bad parent amount of time leaving him alone. He'll be crawling around on his mat, chewing on toys, staring at various objects in the room, or babbling to himself while I play a video game. Browsing Internet or do chores. People tell me that I need to interact with him, but I venture that I only get accumulative two hours a day of direct back and forth interaction with him.
Speaker 1: How is a four month old crawling around?
Speaker 3: He must just be like rolling around. Oh that's awful, to be honest. I think when my daughter was little, I had this thing of thinking that you had to be there and be their full source of entertainment. But they actually don't care. They're new to the world, so everything is like the best. Like if they see a cloud day made, they say, a little leaf on the ground, awesome. They've never seen any of these things before, Like they actually enjoy all of that stuff. You're still there in the house. Life is their YouTube exactly. I was a little bit worried when you said you leave him alone a lot. I thought you met you were popping out to the shop, So you're not. You're there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, supervisions recommended.
Speaker 3: And it's only going to get harder from here, Like the baby is going to need you more and more as the baby starts to get more mobile. But while they're a little crawling, rolling potato.
Speaker 1: Hang on common Also, can we circle back to it. Why is a four month awake for twelve hours a day. They should be I've just been a while, but their mean to sleep quite a bit during the day.
Speaker 3: Well maybe that's because you had babies that slept, But my baby was only awake for about this amount of time as well, so all day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't sleep during the time.
Speaker 3: I guess she's not factoring in naps.
Speaker 1: Twelve hours or is that the total awake time of the twenty for hour period.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This just doesn't feel like it's enough sleep.
Speaker 3: I think she's meaning sleeps at night, but this is about the amount during the day with your little naps that time.
Speaker 1: The baby sounds very resilient, very advanced.
Speaker 3: The baby doesn't care, thinks that you and him are the same person at the moment anyway, And do you know what this speaks to is a very advanced secure attachment style, which is not what my baby's had. It was very anxious or disorganized, which is the worst style of attachment.
Speaker 1: And they needed me all the time. So this is actually great, and I think just keep nurturing that self sufficient, secure attachment where you're not really needed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, It's a win. This kid will be so happy to entertain themselves. They're used to it, so self supering.
Speaker 1: Fine, they'll be successful in life, they'll be good at relationships, not too needy.
Speaker 3: As long as you're not popping out to the nail salon supervision, you're a great parent within earshot, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or the little monitor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine, so fine, Yeah fine, So what are we giving it? Look? I think it's pretty harmless. I think this person's actually giving themselves a hard time for something that doesn't need it.
Speaker 1: There's a saying, and it's no good parent ever has wondered if they're a bad parent? Yes? Is that? Did I say that the right way?
Speaker 3: Wait? Wait, no, that's wrong.
Speaker 1: Wait there's a say, it's a really good me.
Speaker 3: If you were a good parent, you would ask yourself if you're a bad parent, Like a bad parent just doesn't care.
Speaker 1: A bad parent doesn't care.
Speaker 3: I don't think we've nailed it, but you get.
Speaker 1: The viet The sentiment's there.
Speaker 3: If you're worrying about whether you're a good enough parent, then you are one exactly that was better.
Speaker 1: Yes, kind of you nailed it, and you're nailing it and you're fine because the fact that you care means that you're a good parent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are we giving to this one?
Speaker 1: My awarding system this week has been for the worst person, So I think that this one's fine. So I'm just gonna throw like a cheeky five and a half supervision points out of ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is absolutely fine. And I don't think that this one is very bad on the scale because babies are boring. Babies are They're really no so fun but so far so boring.
Speaker 1: For about eight months, they're quite actually enjoyable. Yeah they're viby, but a four month old is a worm. They're boring and so enjoy it while they're not needy.
Speaker 3: Just leave them on that little playmate, they'll be happy as larry. So I'll give you six playmates out of ten?
Speaker 1: Are we declaring the winner this week?
Speaker 3: So first we had the baby with the failed baby proofing.
Speaker 1: Fine, fine, Fine.
Speaker 3: Then next we had the baby in the car.
Speaker 1: Leaving the baby in the car the daycare early educators and parents at pick up.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 1: I love the chaos of that, I really do. And it's really illegal. So like such a stickler for the rules, but today is illegal, Stacey. So I feel like because home alone, like just not really interacting as much of the four month old. Yeah, the best. Worst was definitely locking a baby at a toddler in a car, having to involve the emergency services. Yeah, it's just a unanimous obvious clip. You well done, to you, well done. We don't advocate for children, I'm dogs.
Speaker 3: If you've got a confession, we'd love to hear from you. Please send us your secret shame. All the details are in our show. Yes see you next time, You next time.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for something else to listen to, Mama Miya is officially presenting one hundred hours of summer listens, from meaningful conversations to incredible stories, fashion, beauty, and more. There's a link in the show notes