Speaker 1: Parents, friends, committees. Welcome to Parenting out Loud, where we bring you the news, the trends, the culture and what parents are actually thinking about. And they're thinking about Mother's Day most likely, and we will get to that a little bit today. I'm Monic Bowley, I'm Amelia Lester, and I'm Stacy Hicks. Coming up on today's show.
Speaker 2: If you can't decide what's surname to give your child of Melbourne couples just outsourced it to a game and I kind of love it.
Speaker 3: The school holiday dilemma and the rule that has parents blindsided.
Speaker 1: And do you ever feel a bit sad on Mother's Day? There's a very surprising origin story which might explain why. But very first, before we get into anything, I spy with my little eye. Someone's mother is in our Instagram comments.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course it's mine. Wasn't that the most classic mum common you've ever seen?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 1: Like, So we put this post up of like getting to know us three. It's pinned to the top of our Instagram page and it's just like, here's Stacy she likes. She's a type AI mum. This is what she likes. And the first comment was Stacy's mom just being like, oh, I love this. I was so good, great mummy, did.
Speaker 4: You see that?
Speaker 3: Lena Dunham posted the text that her mom sent her during the met gala. Went to the met gala on Monday night and her mom sent these texts saying.
Speaker 5: You look lovely, dear, but you need to do a little bit more smiling.
Speaker 4: You're so a precy when you smile.
Speaker 2: Well, good on, my mum. Ly for the for the blind enthusiasm about all of us.
Speaker 3: But look, in case you missed it, the devil Wes prior to is fine. The movie is fine. That's all I'm going to say about Okay, but they did make one really interesting choice relates to parenting, which is that Andy Sachs, played by Anne Halfaway, who is once again pursuing her magazine dreams twenty years after the first movie, she does not have children. Now, this should not be groundbreaking for a woman in her early forties to be depicted on screen without children, But.
Speaker 1: Nice pun there, Amelia, nice pun, nice heavy groundbreaking.
Speaker 3: It turns out that Anne Hathaway had a hand in this. The plot thickens. Here's Mama MEA's very own Laura Brodnick, interviewing her insult, was.
Speaker 1: There a particular request that you put in that you wanted for your characters in order to do this?
Speaker 4: Equel?
Speaker 1: I Mine was a big one.
Speaker 6: Oh, it was really big because Eleen Rush McKenna, who came up with this unbelievable story that we all signed up for, we all reacted to so positively. She had originated Andy's backstory as being different. She thought that Andy had stayed in New York and had a family, and I thought that Andy had gone out in the world and had adventures and had you actually done that yet? And we had a long conversation about it, and she went off and side of that, and she decided that she was also interested in Andy having had adventures and having not taken that step in her life yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what she's saying is the writer wrote her as having children, and Anne Hathaways said, no, I'm going to be childless by choice. That's that's wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So did this occur to you while you were watching?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved when we got to her And it wasn't that classic trope of like messy haired woman like flinging bananas at her kids as she runs out the door to her big job. You know, like we see that, we see that so much, and I really loved that it was just no, that's not what she's doing. And I feel like it's much more of a reflection of what you see now. We see women where they say it might happen, it might not, or I might want to, I might not at that time of their life. And so I love that we kind of saw both streams. We see one character who's had children and is, you know, juggling that busy job, and one that didn't. And it's not a major plot point that she didn't.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's very matter of fact.
Speaker 3: In fact, there's one scene where she's catching up with Emily Blunt's character, her former colleague, and she says, I'm not married, never found the right person. And my kids are at a doctor's office on eighty fifth Street. They're frozen eggs right now, but I like to think of them as my little ones, Shavn and Esther. Yeah, and I love that it was so matter of fact. Mon's I don't think you've seen the movie yet, but why do we have to be celebrating this like such a rare occurrence. Why is it still so rare?
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 1: Hollywood loves the whole working mum trope? Don't they the you can have it all trope? So it's kind of forward thinking, I guess, more reflective for what's really happening. It's kind of disappointing though, that they didn't go the full way with it. Do you think they put the frozen egg scene in there, just like I don't know, in case there's a Devil west Prata three where she is the harry mother.
Speaker 3: Maybe, although I think the reason they put the frozen eggs scene in is because that's very true to life for that particular millieure of kind of women who have done very well in their careers did not consciously choose career over children. And I'm so so glad by the way that we're doing away with that narrative too, because I don't think I know any woman who would actually say I chose my career over having a family, or I chose my family over having a career. That's not how life works. You don't choose things in that way. So I love that it seems more like life just happened to her and the way her life happened is that she had all these adventures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not a woe is me. It was just, yeah, that's the situation for me right now, and we move on. And I just wanted to focus on all the dresses and I got to do that, which was great. Another thing that you might have missed this week was a video that went pretty viral about one of our favorite topics on this show, BLUEI. I mean, mostly we've spoken about Blue's hot dad. This is a little bit of a different take. Obviously, it's not being hyperbolic to say that Blue's the biggest show in the world, like it's in one hundred and ten countries, watched by millions and millions of kids and mostly their parents probably around the world. So it would be safe to assume that Blue is a bit of a cash cow or a cash dog as it were for the ABC.
Speaker 4: Did you just come up with cash?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'll see myself out. But this video that got published by Charlie Gearside. He's the co founder of a tech startup called Eucalyptus, and he was talking about the deal that the ABC did at the time with Joe Bram when they commissioned this show, and he called it, and I quote, one of the all time shittest deals in history, which is not very complimentary. So basically what happened is when ABC commissioned the show, they did it in conjunction with the BBC, so the UK's public broadcaster, and as part of that deal, BBC paid thirty percent of the production costs. But in that deal they got all the global rights, all of the merchandising rights to Blue E and that is now worth an estimated one billion to two point five billion dollars a year.
Speaker 3: I think we have about seven hundred and fifty million dollars worth of blue merchandise in our apartment.
Speaker 2: As do I, including a drawer full of bluey toothbrushes for reasons unclear to me, there must have been a deal at some point where I bought about twenty of them. And basically the headline that everyone saw from this story is the ABC stuffed up. This would have been a great amount of money to bring into the Australian television industry and you know what an embarrassment that is, to the point where the ABC Managing director, Hugh Marx even spoke at a conference this week and he kind of addressed it and said, yeah, like, in hindsight, that would have been great. It would have changed a lot of people's lives. So is the ABC getting anything from.
Speaker 4: The fact that Bluey is the world's most.
Speaker 2: Probably yeah, they get the Australian rights to the show, but most of that is going overseas.
Speaker 5: But Mon's when I brought this up with you.
Speaker 2: You had a lot of big feelings and there is a lot of this story that Peple are kind of missing with the headline.
Speaker 1: So this is not a new story, and every time I hear it, I think, oh, there's a lot of nuance and complication that's being missed here. And I want just the idea that the ABC botched a deal that was worth billions is a little bit like saying, oh, you should have bought Apple shares in the eighties. Like it's technically true, but it just doesn't take into account how most TV gets made. I want to say, I do need to say I don't have visibility on this particular deal. What I'm going to say is like broad sweeping statements. Okay, because you worked at the ABC, right mans, I worked there for a long time. I worked there in peak Bluey mania, co commissions happen all the time, right, It's really normal for someone to make your TV show and share the costs around because rights are really expensive and no single person wants to like hold all the right. It just costs too much and takes too much risk on right. And the ABC is a public broadcaster, it's not really there to make like huge commercial bets. Do you remember when we had ABC shops, when we did do merchandise, when we did do kind of like bananas and pajama stuff, that all got shut down. So the ABC are probably not set up now to do these huge global distribution deals and merchandising deals, whereas the BBC are. The BBC have Top Here, they have Pepper Pig, they have all these shows that they just know. The BBC machine knows how to push this stuff out.
Speaker 3: And also what you're saying is that that's not even the ABC's mandate, right. It's mandate is not to make a lot of money from merchandise. It's mandate is to provide Australians with Australian content, quality Australian content. And Louis Is certainly.
Speaker 1: That they do have a commercial arm, but it's small and it's kind of not their their central focus. I just feel like, you know, you could argue part of the success of Blue globally is because the BBC did exactly what they were brought on to do. They got to push it everywhere. Merchandise is shit out of it, and so it's kind of like the system is imperfect, but it worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as much as we can say, you know, it is such a shame, of course, in hindsight that that money doesn't come into Australia and give those jobs people in Australian TV. Like, it's also a shame I didn't get the Lotto numbers last week. Like it's fine sight, as you said, it's something that you realize after the fact, and the fact that they did this with minimal risk and we do have a show that Australia is so proud of that is kind of ours regardless of that is a great thing.
Speaker 4: Don't cry that it's over smart.
Speaker 1: Well, so, yeah, the money does come into Australia, right, some of it does. We talked previously on a few episodes ago about this state of Australian TV. This is the great blue hope of Australian TV is Bluey because this is a Brisbane made production. It's hiring production stuff, it's hiring animators, it's all of that stuff. All of that money is coming into Australia. Can I tell you both something about Mother's Day that will completely change how you think about it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 5: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I know this weekend there'll be lots of cups of tea in bed and cards and maybe flowers and hugs. And there's always that pressure to perform Mother's Day on social media, which I hate, but that's not everyone. And I feel like whenever Mother's Day comes up, it can feel really fraught because not everyone has that kind of like hallmark relationship with their mum or their own children, and it's not always a joyful day for people. Sometimes it's quite a loaded one, which is exactly why I wanted to bring you something that I found this week, because it turns out that Mother's Day didn't start as this wholesome celebration at all. It actually started as a campaign for the women that everyone had forgotten.
Speaker 5: Oh see, that's nice. This is what it is still is.
Speaker 3: I just assumed it was a hallmark thing like yeah back and made up Poliday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're telling me it actually has a history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. The history is amazing, So very quick history lesson. It started in the US after the Civil War. There was this really big wave of women who had lost sons, husbands, and brothers at war. So all the women and mothers came together for this day of peace. And then in the early nineteen hundred a woman named Anna Jarvis. Her mother, Anne Jarvis was you know, with woman who would just get women together, support mothers in her community, support grieving mothers. Anyway, this Anne Jervis, she died and so Anna lobbied really hard and said, I think we should have a day to honor my mother and honor all these women. And her mother died on the second Sunday in May, and so she lobbied really hard and took it all the way to the White House, and the President said, you know what, great, let's do it. Let's make it official. So the second Sunday in May is going to be Mother's Day. And so that's the version that spread locally. But here's the part that most Australians don't know. Mother's Day in Australia wasn't started by a brand. It was started by a woman who walked into a hospital and saw something that completely broke her heart. Her name was Janet Hayden, and she was visiting a friend at the Newington State Hospital and she noticed something that was really shocking to her. There were elderly women and mothers who had been completely forgotten, and a lot of them had lost family in World War One. Some had no family left at all, some had never been able to have families. These were just invisible women. And she thought, who is making these women feel like they matter? So she got together local businesses and the public and she said, could you just donate something nice for these women, just like a soap or a toal conpowder or some fruit. And then she went to primary schools and asked the kids to sew little linen bags, little handmade parcels, the original analog bag, and then she just delivered them to these women who had been forgotten. So it didn't start Mother's Day, didn't begin with flowers and brunches and slippers and declarations of love. It began as this small act of community for the most invisible, most forgotten women.
Speaker 3: And I think that that key word you use there as community, because mothers say put so much much pressure on the nuclear family unit to celebrate it in the correct way. But what it started as was a community wide celebration and acknowledgment of the labor of women who were looking after children, and I feel like that's being completely missed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think what you said about the nuclear family, that's the part that does feel like pressure, because especially when you're someone who has their mother but you also have children yourself, You've got the pressure of your nuclear family of the children that you have, like will that live up to your expectations of what you're imagining in your head for that day, But you also have your own mother who's then wanting you to.
Speaker 5: Be with them.
Speaker 2: Potentially you have a mother in law, so then you're trying to do something there. So it actually becomes this day of like splitting yourself amongst people, and it's kind of like your birthday in that you feel a bit melancholy and a bit sad, and you don't quite know why, like people are expressing their love for you, but yet it doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that I've been noticing this year is that in my kids' school and in their sporting activities, it's inevitably women who are the volunteers organizing stuff in both these cases, and they have been sending out notes saying, Okay, we've got this Mother's Day event. Mothers, please don't sign up to volunteer. We actually need people who are not mothers to volunteer for the Mother's Day stall. But it's really hard to find volunteers because guests who does most of the volunteering in a school community, it's the mom's Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like this redirection, like I love this redirection of that this is how it started, because it does kind of give you permission mentally to lower the bar.
Speaker 5: A bit on the day.
Speaker 2: Like it's like with any big day like that, with a Christmas or with a big holiday, you have a version of how you think it might be and a version of what it ends up being, and often they don't align.
Speaker 3: Mons does it change how you think about celebrating this day?
Speaker 4: To know this history does.
Speaker 1: And the other tidbit I loved was that the woman that started it in the US, remember the woman that lobbied the president for it, Anna Jarvis. She saw what it became, she saw the hallmarkification of it, and it drove her mad, and she spent the rest of her life lobbying trying to stop Mother's Day Oh, because she didn't like Yeah, because it had gone so far away from what she wanted it to be. And I just thought, that's fascinating and I get that. I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the real message from you telling that story is that I just want to rock up at a nursing.
Speaker 5: Home now and go and have a time with someone who's alone.
Speaker 4: Yes, they'd love it.
Speaker 1: Stacy. One of the joys of this show. One of your roles on this show is to bring us the trends of the Internet, the things you've seen on TikTok, what families are doing, what parents are doing. What have you found this week?
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw this video this week that made me chuckle so much because a Melbourne couple decided that instead of choosing their babies last name. You know, they're very forward thinking and they're like, well, it's not a given that it's going to be the husband's last name. They made their two families, their two extended families, battle it out in a series of games to decide which last name the baby would get.
Speaker 5: Take a listen to this clip.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the first and last ever Shiffiley verse Fleming Family Olympics, where we will be competing for one grand prize. The winning family will determine the name of our future children. Fleming's win, the children will take Fleming. If the Shiffiles win, the children will take Shiffley.
Speaker 1: It's so, what what? And what is a family Olympics?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: What game?
Speaker 2: They did a planking competition. They did a human wheelbarrow race, you know when you like hold the person's ankles.
Speaker 5: They did an easter egg hunt.
Speaker 2: Must have been done around Easter time and they've only just shared it now. They did so many tasks and then at the end they're like, it's neck and neck. So we're going to a round robin of rock paper scissors.
Speaker 4: So who won the Schiffie One?
Speaker 5: Is the wife's name?
Speaker 2: The wife's last names, Cheffiley's bragging rights, my favorite sh my favorite.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be spelling that for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 5: They really are.
Speaker 2: They should have gone with Fleming. But my favorite thing in the comments was someone saying, I love that when someone asks this kid why they've got their mum's last name, they'll be able to say, oh, because dad chose scissors. Like that he lost him the rock paper scissors.
Speaker 5: But I just thought that was pay And I love that. That's cool.
Speaker 2: We don't just take the last name as a given. Now it's not that important anymore.
Speaker 3: And it's also taking it to the next level beyond hyphenation. Yes, now it's like you've got to earn that last time. Yeah, Yeah, absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: That is so ballsy to do something like that. That's the kind of thing you do that becomes the family story for the next one hundred years.
Speaker 5: That is cool.
Speaker 3: When my kids started at big school, I was at the same time planning a visit to see if family and friends in the US over the winter holidays, because that's where my partner is from. And I happened to mention this trip was coming up to another mom at the school, and what she said shocked me. She said, she goes, it's not a given that you're going to get that time off. You know, the principal has to approve the kids leave during term time. And I just thought, what is this country I have moved to where I can't yank my children from school whenever I please when the airfares A Yeah, but what an outright So in the end, we were granted to leave. And that's because I bowed blood, sweat and years into the essay, I wrote to the principle about the cultural reasons why my children had to go and visit America.
Speaker 1: Can did they ask you to do that? Or did you do that on bim?
Speaker 3: But I was told by other other parents at the school that I needed to lay out my reasons and they couldn't be like they have to see Aunt Greca. It was like much more like they need to learn about the They need to culturally immerse in the in the land of their father and learn all about diet and Dr Pepper and a great American invention.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to see the doctor leave in the end.
Speaker 3: But it turns out it's not just me that faced this issue. In fact, you know, in the nineties, I feel like we were writing letters in it, like our parents are writing letters in our lunch boxes saying I'm taking the kids out of school for a trip. And well, we didn't go on any international trips, but that's what other people told me happened.
Speaker 4: And now it's just.
Speaker 3: Become much more of a high bar for granting the kids leave. Now there are really good reasons for this. There are also actually good reasons for why it maybe shouldn't be so difficult to pull the kids from school, and we're going to get into that, but I am just curious about whether the two of you have ever encountered this stacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm not at the school age just yet. But I had a friend say to me that with her daughter, they were told, well, that will just be an unexplained absence on your daughter's record, And I was imagining her at her first job interview and the interviewer going, oh, well, you went to Fiji for two weeks in year four, so I just don't think you're going to be able to commit to this role.
Speaker 4: Like I was, like, what record are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I remember when you were in school, we certainly we had this fear of it would go on our permanent record.
Speaker 4: Things going on our permanent record. Yeah, like the trip to Fiji. You don't want that on the path.
Speaker 2: And now I laugh about that because I'm like, no one asks even your UAI from year twelve, let alone how much you were there.
Speaker 5: So it feels really unusual that this would be.
Speaker 4: A pee on's have you run up against this or heard about it?
Speaker 1: I haven't. No, I just assumed to eat because they're your own children, right, you can make decisions in their best interests, might include going overseas. I I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let me run you through the fact that there are policies in different states. So the New South Wales Education Department has a list of justified exemptions. This is stuff like health concerns. You're competing in the Olympics. You have a religious holiday that's on their list of justified exemptions, but it can be unjustified, as you were saying, Stacey, in Victoria, you need to get the principal's approval and you need to obtain a student learning absence plan, which sounds so serious Victoria, like, that's quite impressive. In Queensland, for instance, the Catholic schools do allow holidays as a reasonable excuse for Queensland same. So I guess it's different in different states. But let me lay out very quickly the like pros and cons of this, because you might not necessarily have.
Speaker 4: Thought these three.
Speaker 3: You might have had the instinctive response I had before I looked into it.
Speaker 4: So on the side of actually, it should be kind.
Speaker 3: Of difficult to pull kids out of school, you have school principles who I guess kind of know what.
Speaker 4: They're talking about when it comes to kids' education.
Speaker 3: The Australian Primary Principles Association has talked about this in various press stories and they make the point that every day at school matters, Like there's this sense of like, oh, it doesn't matter if they have like a couple of days off at the end of term two. In fact, the teachers have thought through every single day of learning, so to mislearning is a really big deal. It's also disrespectful to the teachers who did the planning. It's disruptive to the classroom. On the flip side, we live in a multicultural society. We also live really far away from the rest of the world. So for people who all jokes aside, do have family in other countries, and a lot of kids in Australian schools do. In order to make that trip, which is also very expensive, you want to be able to spend time with family and friends in other countries and build up those connections to your heritage and to your culture and to where your extended family comes from. So it does feel a little punitive or a little bit like not recognizing the fact that we live in such a multi ethnic and diverse community.
Speaker 2: But this does feel also like a bit more of a millennial problem that it has been for other generations, because, like you said, like when you grew up, didn't really go on holidays much, and I was. I was fortunate enough to get to go on holidays, but they were usually at Christmas time when there was that bigger break, we went to Dubbo and that yeah, Dubbos great as well. And there was this article in The Atlantic I've thought about a lot since I saw it, and it was called the New Millennial Parenting Anxiety, and it was about how we all came of age when flights became more accessible and housing became less accessible. So you're kind of looking at the fact that you probably won't pass down well, you're definitely probably not going to pass down multiple properties to your children. They're not going to inherit that from you. So what fut in the age? Oh, well, lucky you, I should have invested in blood. But that there that they're not going to get those things. So parents are looking around and going, well, what enrichment can we give them, What memories can we give them, what exp speriences?
Speaker 5: Can we give them.
Speaker 2: And travel is one of those things, and it's also probably a little bit of a post COVID effect as well, of like we lost those years. Now we want to take our kids with us and try and see the world and explore. And it kind of goes beyond what you said about going to see family, which I think is really important, and into just should we go backpack around Europe or should we go travel around Australia.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting that you say it's a post COVID thing too, because in researching the story, I discovered that the we've all probably.
Speaker 4: Heard that attendance rates have gone down.
Speaker 3: In schools, They've really gone down in schools between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty four. I was just shocked at the figures, at the precipitous decline in attendance rates. And I'm really connected to that, that sense that we have to seize experiences even if they're happening during the school term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wonder whether that's a good excuse for this thing of trying to stick to the school holidays is because then it may bleed out for teachers and for the educators that then it bleeds out from oh, we're just going for a week to Bali to then just oh, well, I wouldn't be bothered sending them, and then that is that does have a knock on effect like that, as you said, and get harder and harder as they get older.
Speaker 1: It might also be like one of those you know, every workplace you've ever worked in has a whole stack of policies right just sitting in a draw somewhere and they never really used. They're just there in case you need them. It might be one of those things where most teachers are pretty reasonable, most schools are pretty reasonable about holiday requests, but there will be one family, two families that take the piss and so the policy is there so that families can't have a valley holiday every term or whatever it's going to be like it does it? Maybe it's just there to keep those that one percent accountable. I don't know, but I also kind of yeah, the thought I had. The major thought I had is like, in the spectrum of what schools are worried about, parents taking their kids on a holiday is probably pretty low down on the list of worries that school had.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you say that, Mom's because at the start of the year, we went to an orientation evening at my kids' school. I should mention it's a public school, maybe that's relevant, But the main message they wanted to convey to everyone at this primary school orientation was that concept of everyday matters. And it's clearly connected to the decline in attendance rates. So I do think schools are having to work a bit harder these days at getting the message across that you can't just skip school willy nilly, even if it is for a culturally enriching trip somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I also think the stuff like this that is kind of quite restricting to families is meaning that we are saying a big increase in homeschooling and free schooling now. And I get so many people on my algorithm it must know that I like daydream about traveling the world full time that are doing that now where they're traveling around Australia full time with their children because they kind of don't want to be low into that school term system.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, seriously, can like, are you serious? Yes, it's want to be locked into a school term system. It's like a legal requirement that you send your children to school in a term, you sign up for a term, you go for the term, Like, can we just for a minute talk about the message that it sends to your child to go, you know what, fuck school, We're just going to go to Europe. Like sure, if you spend your life saving up, if you've got family over there, if it is going to be a culturally enriching experience, then yes. But that's why we need these learning plans. That's why schools need to know about it and go, yeah, we approve it, because a school is a commitment, Like you can't just you can't just sign up for something and then just go and you feel like it okay there.
Speaker 3: It's also really giving main character energy, which is that millennial parents often do.
Speaker 2: It is but I kind of love these people as such a rule follower. I kind of admire these people when they're like, well, the school system doesn't really work for me in the sense of how it is now, and I'm going to do this thing. And there's a creator.
Speaker 5: That came up in my feet.
Speaker 2: I didn't even follow her and got this post from her about the fact she's pulled her kids out of school for three months. Her and she's single, mum, and she's moved with her two children to the Greek Islands to do world schooling, which is like essentially where you travel but still maintain their education because they're in this world schooling system in Syros.
Speaker 5: I mean it looks beautiful.
Speaker 1: Why did she do that? Why does she say she.
Speaker 2: Felt like for her son it was wearing him down, that the school system was already wearing him down, and that she wanted to try something new. And a lot of it is these people who are like digital nomads where they can work anywhere in the world now, so they kind of go and travel in that system, out of a structure and a system that many other children are in and throw them into a completely new one. Yes, but I think there's so much to be said there for what that could do for resilience, for you know, social skills, of having to build those skills with different kids from around the world. I do I really want to go to take me to mign That is.
Speaker 5: What it is.
Speaker 1: It also could be incredibly destabilizing. You know who knows it's yeah, you know what it speaks to. It speaks to the individualization of parenting. Now we parent for what suits us. We parent for the way that you know, we center ourselves sometimes in the decisions that we make, and it also speaks to the kind of like professionalism or the intensity of parenting, where now instead of school saying you know what, I figure around Australia for six months, like should we right to no?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: This decision's going to impact your child's long term outcomes. Like that just feels like a really big prevalent thing now with raising kids. Okay, time for the part of the show where we bring you the things that we're trying or things that we've seen and loved or felt big things about. Stacy, what have you got this week?
Speaker 2: I never use this show normally to recommend things from Mom and Me are the site, because I'm the editor of the site and it feels like it's hard to be impartial and I would probably just recomon and fifty articles to you every week. But there is one that we ran this week that will really stay with me for a long time. And these types of stories pop up every now and again and I just kind of will carry them with me always. And this week on May eighth was do It for Dolly Day, so you might have seen this.
Speaker 5: I think it's in its eighth year.
Speaker 2: This year it's the National Day of Action, and parents Kate and Tick Everett, they do it to honor their daughter Dolly. She passed away by taking her own life after a period of horrible.
Speaker 5: Bullying and online bullying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely tragic, and I think when these stories come about, you kind of distance yourself a little bit in terms of thinking, oh that you know, that's that horrific thing over there, but that won't believe it won't happen to me, That won't happen to my kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: But we actually spoke to a woman this week named Carlie Campbell, and she shared the story of her daughter Bella Rose, who was in year three, so eight years old, when she started getting bullied at school.
Speaker 5: Horrific.
Speaker 2: She was tied up and left in a bin by students in her class and her mum, Carly, is so incredible. She's fourteen now and she is doing much better. But a lot of that actually was to do with this Do It for Dolly campaign. She used their Dolly's Dream bullying support line. I wanted to make sure I got the name right, so essentially kids can dial thirteen Dolly at any time call this line and speak to someone for support. So while she was confiding in her mum and professional, she also had this to kind of get her through this horrific period. And her mom said, like, she probably wouldn't be here now if she didn't have things like that, and she's doing really well all things considered. But I just thought it was such an important cause, such an important resource that kids will have, and you know, when you have little kids, you kind of think about this stuff being with like seventeen eighteen year olds, and to hear that it was an eight year old, just yeah, really.
Speaker 5: Hit me in the guts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That really important.
Speaker 2: So I would love if everyone read that'd support that cause. And the phone number is thirteen thirteen Dolly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm so glad to know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just will add if that has brought anything up for you, please go to our show notes for some very helpful resources and or make sure we put the link to Dolly's Dream Bullying support line there too. Yah. Okay, I've got a hot tip for any one that hasn't organized a Mother's Day gift, and it's going to cost you nothing, just a little bit of time. I saw it on an Instagram called parental Path and I'm sad I only saw it now. I wish i'd seen a few years ago. But dads or partners or other mums, here's what you do. You grab your phone, just use your camera, you grab your kid. Film each kid separately. Okay, this is quite key because you'll get better answers. And then you just ask them a few questions about their mum. Keep it really simple and just let them talk and don't interrupt them. And for little kids it's questions like what's Mum's favorite food, what makes mum happy, what makes mum angry? What does mum always say? Things like this? You know, what do you love about mum? And then for older kids you can ask them questions like what's something mum does that no one notices? Or you know, what's your favorite thing to do with mum? Don't coash them and don't over correct them. There's no wrong answers. And then you just record it and then you can either stitch the clips together or just send them as it is. And the premise really is this that your kids won't always sound like they do now. Oh, and their voices, their voices. Yeah, their voices are only little for a window and then it's gone. And you know, one day they have the chubby cheeks and the lisp, and then it's gone. Their faces thin out and their answers change. So do it now. It'll take five minutes. And I hope my husband's listening to this.
Speaker 4: That is a beautiful idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, love that.
Speaker 3: It also makes me a little sad, so I need to bring something more lighthearted. I guess that's the word that use. It's a TV show called caper Crew. We were talking at the start of the show about ABC shows and what makes them hits, and I reckon that they've got another big one on their hands with this show, caper Crew. I probably describe it as the Investigators if it was directed by Wes Anderson.
Speaker 4: Does that help feel cool? It's from the creator of.
Speaker 3: Hardball, which is another great ABC show, and it's said in a town called Woodspring. It has two twelve year olds as the main characters. It's actually quite high concept for a children's show. I don't want to get too much away, but basically, there's a grandmother involved who may or may not be a seasoned criminal. That's all I can say, and what I love about it, in addition to the quirky, gentle humor and the interesting cast, is that we spend a lot of time with this grandmother. And it occurred to me how often in on TV in general, but certainly in kids shows, do you get to see interesting, vibrant, fully formed older women.
Speaker 1: As never I'm not in kids shows, they're always they're always like homely grandmothers or witches. I wish.
Speaker 3: I actually can't remember another kids show that that provides such a full fledged depiction of an older woman.
Speaker 1: And I is it animated or is it actually?
Speaker 4: It's actually it's actually acted.
Speaker 3: And the creators said that they didn't want to make a kids show so much as a family show, and I think that's right. It's very much a show that you can sit down and enjoy with your kids. The script, as I say, it's quite it's quite ambitious what they've set out to do plot wise, but I think they really landed the plane. And I really enjoyed watching the first season. I hope there'll be more on ABC. I view with my kids.
Speaker 1: Do you need some caper crea metch because it doesn't sound like it's going to take off.
Speaker 2: I got to say enough, I wouldn't mind some caper months could make you someone a cricket. She'll make you a little jacket with caper crew on the bat.
Speaker 1: That is so hurtful that you think I've got a cricket, do you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Of course I want one. I can't afford one. Of course I want one.
Speaker 5: Yeh see, I've had you pegged.
Speaker 1: Correct such a mom sledge you did.
Speaker 2: It's not because my best friend has one and she makes me excellent stuff all the time, and I wish I had the patience for it.
Speaker 4: I think is a cricket mum?
Speaker 5: Cry Card?
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought it was cry Cart until about twelve months ago.
Speaker 5: Cricket but yeah, they're really cool.
Speaker 1: I knowedge at all. I just think the other Facebook group I mean, yes, the cricket mums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classic overachieving trope to want a cricket.
Speaker 5: So I thought you would have.
Speaker 1: Love to all the cricket mums. That's all we have time for this week on Parenting Out Loud. Have a great week. We will be back in this speed next Saturday mornings. The MMAMEA acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast