Speaker 1: I'm like not a woo woo kind of person, but I really truly believe that the universe has got a plan, because there's no way I should be here.
Speaker 2: There's no way I should have made it.
Speaker 3: Amy Shark has spent almost twenty years making music. Long before the ARIA awards, the number one albums and sold out tours, there were years of day jobs, cover gigs, unanswered demos, and wondering whether it was finally time to give up. When a door changed everything, it looked like the fairytale ending, but success brought its own challenges. After years of relentless touring, writing, promoting, and always being on, Amy found herself completely burnt out. Now with her fourth album, Soft Pop, she says she's fallen in love with making music again. In this conversation, Amy talks about growing up on the Gold Coast, losing her precious grandmother, fame versus reality, being married to her manager, and what it took to find her way back to the thing she'd loved since she was a little girl.
Speaker 2: This is Amy Shark. Where have you been today? Amy?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 2: Oh, where haven't I been?
Speaker 1: I've been?
Speaker 2: What you're doing? What do you do on a day like today?
Speaker 1: Well, today was just I mean, this last month has just been pumped full of talking about this.
Speaker 2: Record, your new album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think like now it's so people have so much happening that it's not it's hard to get eyes on your project no matter who you are or what you're doing, Like, it doesn't matter even if you're a big dog like in the States or whatever. It's like you have to just like if it's something you want eyes on and you're proud of, I feel like you have to go so much more extra now, right, is exhausting, But it's also that's why you have to make sure you love what you've created and what you're talking about well, because also I think you're so much a part of the landscape in Australia. Amy Shark, by the way, welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We just ripped into it. That's right.
Speaker 3: We were talking before about trying to make a splash. Yes, you want your projects to be brought to the attention of people, but there also is I think a tendency in Australia. Maybe it's around the world, but it seems to be an Australian thing that if you're a part of the landscape which you have been, and it feels that you have been longer than I think you actually have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Adoor is Adoor was ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ten years ago this month, and I would say it feels longer because it feels so familiar and like it's just been a part of like so many people's soundtracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. I feel two things.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was yesterday because obviously it was such a pivotal time in my life, and I, for some reason, can remember my old life so well. But then but then when I look at it, it feels like an eternity. It feels like I've just done this my whole life. So it's a real split feeling.
Speaker 3: When you say you remember your old life here, what part of your old life do you remember, like childhood or working more mean, yeah, we like ba before a door is what we call it.
Speaker 1: Just pedestrian life in nine to five job, get home, have dinner, do the same thing the next day, talk to the girls at work, have things booked in the calendar, like a holiday.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what I mean, Like where there was a normalitine Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember it very well, and I think it's the one thing I miss a lot, Like.
Speaker 3: But you were striving then to get somewhere with your music, which I imagine is you want people to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean.
Speaker 1: I everything could stop tomorrow, and for me to have an audience was all I wanted, Like.
Speaker 3: To think I was.
Speaker 1: So addicted to it back then, for nobody like eleven people on MySpace, and then to think that, oh no, no matter what I do now, for the rest of my career, I will have I will have a pocket of people interested in what I do. And that's incredible feeling. But sometimes that feeling it's not enough to carry you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get I have been through that.
Speaker 1: I went through that at the beginning of my career where I was like, Okay, I've done that, so now I want to do this. I've played this, so now I want bigger and I've done this, so now I want bigger And then and then you fall apart, and then you I just randomly, just one day so freaking grateful for the life you have. And it's I don't know, it's funny. It's just like you have to really go through it and you never can predict what's going to happen to you, and you never can predict how you're going to be mentally through the whole, you know, adventure of being an artist.
Speaker 3: Correct, and especially because I was thinking about you, You don't have the insulation of being in a band.
Speaker 2: There's not like other pillars that you can lean on.
Speaker 3: All of the grind comes and all of the artistry comes from you. Yes, like that takes a big engine. Yeah, did you always have the big engine? Like when you were little? When you were when you were little, where did you first recognize that you had that?
Speaker 2: Uh? I think it was a lot of my grandparents.
Speaker 1: Like I had three NaN's, you know, I had my mom's mom, my dad's mom, and then my stepdad's mom, and they were all so encouraging and like I was a bit of a character, hey, because like I loved acting and I loved movies and I could remember scripts like that, you know, and I could do voices and I would I don't know, And also spend a lot of time on my own growing up because mom dad had to work, and.
Speaker 2: Your parents were really young when they had you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like nineteen, right, and they didn't want me just living with my nan because I think my mom thought she would never give me back if I just stayed with her. So I was in kindy like as a baby. So I've been forced to like be a people person since I was like born, you know, like be around people and read rooms and reading.
Speaker 2: Situations and yeah, like just yeah, so yeah, do.
Speaker 3: You think that was innate in you or do you think it's something that you developed through circumstance.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't know. I think I know my mom definitely isn't.
Speaker 1: She's just like not a confident person, Like she can't even handle what I do for a job. Like my dad, from what I know, can and from what I remember, is quite confident person. So probably from him, but yeah, probably also just just.
Speaker 3: Being a lone ranger and just like working it out on my own.
Speaker 1: I think that if this has got to happen, I'm going to have to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was talking to someone the other day about playing guitar and they're like, oh, like, you know, getting lessons or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like I did get lessons, but not many.
Speaker 1: But if it really was up to me to get good at guitar because I didn't have parents being like go and practice your guitar. It was more like I don't know why you're wasting your time on guitar, like go and read or go and like you know, learn something. And but you had that drive. Yeah, yeah, I was just addicted to playing guitar. Who was musical in your family? No one, none of the nana's no my my name used to like sing like badly, I think, just to make us laugh. But like Oper was this winny that was your mom's yes, mom. Yeah, and she kind of showed me all the classics, like all the like Rogers and Hammerstein and like Singing in the Rain and h Yeah, I learned a lot just from the movies she would show me as a kid.
Speaker 3: And then along the way that has informed a lot of your music, which is really interesting. The duet that you did with Keith Urban, the Love Songs one so beautiful and so almost otherworldly of another time. Yeah, that's intrigued.
Speaker 1: I can think mister Sharon for some of those chords. Yeah, and he knows that classics. Yeah right, he's really into that as well. Yeah, he just knows how to make that sound.
Speaker 3: But so when you were little and so you're growing up you're on the gold host. What was your family structure like because your dad wasn't around or he left when you were pretty little. Yeah, it's so I did not know this about you, by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it was like it actually was me and my dad at the start, and the timing like the it's it's such a hard thing to work out. But basically I was with my dad and my name his mom. She was so young when they had me, so and mom wasn't in the best way and like so yeah, so I was living with my dad and then he got remarried blah blah blah, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of stuff that family get into.
Speaker 1: But and then my mom we went up having to go to court side like a lawyer at the age of like nine really, and then I went and lived with my mom and my stepdad and but but through all that time I was spending a lot of time with my nan as well with Winnie.
Speaker 2: So she was like your norse.
Speaker 1: She's yeah, just the pillar through the whole, through my whole life. Thank God for that, I know. Yeah, yeah, I know, so I I see it as lucky now. I used to think, oh, man, like I really bombed out with my situation sometimes, you know, when you're looking your wounds.
Speaker 2: But I'm so lucky that I had her. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then when you so, at what point did music become like your other constant? It was it was high school.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. Yeah, I was pretty late to it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I was in an era where if you didn't sound like Mariah Carey or you know, like I went to primary school with Ricky Lee, yeah, and high school. But she was a year above me. So when I heard her voice, I was like, I don't sound like that. I cannot sound like that. Did she sing at school?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So you heard her yeah, and it was like it was like whoa man? Like it was.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, so like at a school concert or yeah, like you just do the musicals and stuff like that. And for me, I was just like, man, imagine having a voice like that. And then and in my young little head, I was like, oh, I wasn't born with that, like you know, even people when I watch them play guitar.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I'm not.
Speaker 1: It's funny because in my head I still to this day believe you're born with a voice. I don't think you can. Actually, I don't know if you could actually learn that.
Speaker 3: I am so happy to hear you say that, because a lot of singers say anyone can.
Speaker 1: Say anyone can play guitar, you can practice your ass off and you can become a shredder, right, But I don't believe that with singing.
Speaker 3: I think you are born with something. But your voice has not been a shortcoming of yours.
Speaker 1: I just have learned to work with what I have, right, Like it's just more of a medium for me. My voice is like I don't get me wrong, Like I know how to convey an emotion now and I know how to use it, but I'm not like a you know, I can't do it kinds of runs and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I just work with what I have. But even so, I remember once again the Keith Urban song. How different your voice sounded in that? Yeah, it sounded like to me as a punter. I was working commercial radio, so I've heard a lot of your voice sounded really different. Yeah, that was ed. Ed made me go right up and I really didn't want to. And how do you do that? Like, what's that process?
Speaker 1: Well, I go to my comfort zone, which was card in the moment, and it's like what about like card in the mall.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, and then just I can do it totally fine now because I've done it like a million times on tour. But at the start I was like I can't do that, and he's like, can you just did it?
Speaker 4: So just do it?
Speaker 2: Do it again.
Speaker 1: And then it's so funny now that it's just like, yeah, I can actually get there perfectly fine now.
Speaker 3: So it's crazy and Amy Shark, what did that teach you? Yeah, but it's still within my talents, you know what I mean, Like, it's still I can get there, but I don't you know what I mean. It's not gonna I'm never just gonna sound like Guy Sebastian or Rikili or just now boy you know what I mean, or Delta. It's like that though that style isn't isn't me, which is why I was so lucky that I got into alternative music, because if I didn't listen to Silverchair and put that together like in a minute, yeah, it doesn't tell it and you realize then yeah, there was a moment where you went, oh, I can do what exists in me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I just was hearing things on the radio and song I liked. I was like, this is cool, Like I love the sound of this, and even alanas I was like, well that's a different voice. And I think that subconsciously was like a bit of a yeah. The penny kind of dropped like oh okay, maybe yeah. I don't know, there's different voices out there.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, though, because a lot of people grow up and have a dream or want to do something. But I think there's something in the person that goes, I'm going to do this. What was the moment for you where you went this is the thing for me?
Speaker 2: Can you remember? Like is that a critical defining moment?
Speaker 1: Do you know what It's weird is I never felt that I just loved writing songs. I don't think I ever because I always had jobs, because I never I didn't grow up with parents going you can do whatever you want. Believe in yourself, you can do it, go reach for the stars. It was like, hey, I don't know what you're thinking, but you need to get either get a job or go to you. So it wasn't in my blood to think that big.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't, you know.
Speaker 1: So I was always I was always focused on where my money is going to come from to pay bill to survive. You know, I was just being I've always been a realist, Like I've always been, like, you know, not not much of a dreamer. Obviously the dreams were there, but it was like pretty suppressed. All I knew was I love this. I love what I'm doing right now in my bedroom making this sound and challenging myself and like and coming out with weird and wacky words that go with this guitar, right, and then carry a feeling, Yeah, that carry a feeling. And then I had I was in this girl band, and I love the feeling of this band.
Speaker 2: Like it was just like loud and we punky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was super punky.
Speaker 1: And and it was just like the most purest fun I don't believe that. Like we joked around like, oh, we're the big spand in the world, but I don't think anyone cared to be. I don't think any of us really were like, oh, it's like we'll get this done and then we've got to get a manager. Like we just honestly really loved the sound of our own ship, just like this is so sick. It wasn't until I met Shane that he was like you, You're like really good, Like you should I don't know, you should book some gigs or something like, And like.
Speaker 3: Where did you meet him?
Speaker 1: He was in our friend group, ah with the girl band group or like we kind of yeah, he was Gold Coast boy as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah he was.
Speaker 1: He was dating my friend's older sister, which we really don't have to hang on.
Speaker 2: Is it going to be an Amy Sharks game.
Speaker 1: I've already I've already three albums four albums out of this story, so it's okay.
Speaker 3: And then you, but there was obvious see connection and he saw something that's interesting because aside from an attraction to you, he saw the music in you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah it really was. Yeah, before you really even recognized it as a vital force in yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took someone like him, you know, I was three years older. It was like this, you know, cool dude, had great taste in music and had a car and like and everyone loves Shane. Yeah yeah, and to have someone like him at the time listen to this CD I must have given to him or he got somehow and be like, oh no, I like it. I think this is a good song. You know, I can't believe you wrote this, like you know, what do you mean you wrote wrote this? Like he even he was like what, So that's all I really needed to be like, oh, okay, maybe I'll keep going like because that that obviously, that's a nice feeling. Anyone would love that feeling, Yeah, of someone saying something is good.
Speaker 3: You're listening to no filter more with Amy Shark in just a moment. It's very hard to when you've done something artistically to present it to someone else, like it's a very exposing Yeah, it's it's a form of nudity.
Speaker 2: It's soul nudity.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. And to have someone go, oh my god, you're naked and beautiful is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and that was necessary like that for me to keep going because like I like.
Speaker 2: I remember putting our band on at home.
Speaker 1: I just and I don't blame her because it was just a different time and you know, my mom was like obviously trying to work, and you know, but I just remember her coming home like, oh, turn that off.
Speaker 2: You know, god, what is that?
Speaker 1: And I and if she only knew just how.
Speaker 3: Much I remember that, And.
Speaker 1: But you know, God, I look back now, and I'm like, people are just going through it and to have kids and to do you know, so you know, God knows what she was probably going through that day and not much more than a child herself. Really, yeah exactly, but that's full on. Yeah yeah, going through chat with my dad and just like whatever. So but but yeah, so you really remember the people that are like interested, Well, Shane was more than interested.
Speaker 3: Yes, very I mean and you married him.
Speaker 2: How long after you meet him?
Speaker 3: Ah? It was it was probably like seven years or something after I can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're friends for a while. And then were you working together then? Were you doing the n Real video? Making the video?
Speaker 1: Okay about I had so many lives because you also know Jack Lawrence, my mate from that Yes drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know he was working on a footy ground as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah JK, yeah JK.
Speaker 3: He used to do something yeah and yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah I remember him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, and he was always like all these when you when we first started playing your song ador, he was always like I always knew it.
Speaker 2: There was always something about that.
Speaker 1: He helped me a lot at different radio, like just trying to plug it. And yeah, so many people did, like I have some people in my life that I've worked with that. You know, I've had so many different jobs and they've all come to like my gigs over the years, you know, and there might be like ten there or whatever like's it was never anything amazing.
Speaker 2: It was just like a little EP launch or.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to gig it at the NVY Hotel or so, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 2: Always around the Gold Coast, a few in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and it's just it's so funny to me because there would be so many people around Australia that are like, oh, yeah, I remember that girl, she was under a different name, or yeah, I remember that girl I worked with her like HMB or I remember that girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I reckon. There's just so many people like that. It makes me laugh. At what point did it change for you?
Speaker 3: So you're doing these you're playing for the love of it, little gigs, yeah, whatever you can get people that are happy to you know, interrupt their countermeal or not while you're strumming away whatever.
Speaker 2: At what point did did.
Speaker 3: Did you ignite?
Speaker 1: I think it was when I won a Queensland Music Award. That was the first time I feel like I'd ever been seen like I was like, what, Yeah, I wrote a song called Golden Fleece and which is funny because it didn't even have a chorus. It was like a pretty strange song, but it won pop. It won Best Pop and I just was so shocked because I was like, I hadn't had a leg in anywhere, like no one had, and to win that, I was like, oh wow. And then and then I remember Triple J played like gave a song of mine called Spitzong Girls one spin, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, wow, I've fully made it. Now did you.
Speaker 3: Know before they played it that they were going to play it? How did it happen or did it as I was driving?
Speaker 1: And then I don't know how it happened back then because it was just on unearthed, but I did someone Oh no, that's right, that's right. I was playing a gig, like a crappy one and I was driving home from Brisbane and Shane called me, he goes quick put on Triple J. They're playing swits on Girls and I caught like the end of it.
Speaker 2: So I had an old car. I was screwing around with a shit bomb of a thing. Yeah. I loved it, but it was what is it again? Like ninety seven point. It was awesome. It was a really cool time. And then you had.
Speaker 3: Was it you found yourself in kind of a trough? Was it a trough of self doubt just before a door? Was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you were in a Yeah, I think like I had a glimmer of.
Speaker 1: Hope and so so then I just kept writing.
Speaker 2: You know, I just kept writing songs.
Speaker 1: And I'd met this guy at UNI who was like producing me, like for free. So I was always trying to, you know, work it and find someone who could do some free recordings for me. And then I started working with Brad who's now my MD, and I used to pay him in beer, which is great for me because I ended up drinking half it with him.
Speaker 3: What I was doing a Bachelor of Digital Video Media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I dropped out, so don't ask me anything about it.
Speaker 2: I know nothing.
Speaker 1: Even then I spent more time at the UNI bar, so yeah, and then yeah, I guess I just I still just kept doing it. And it wasn't until it wasn't until I hit thirty or thirty was approaching, and then I had written I had written a door, and well I had to get a government grant.
Speaker 2: There was all this.
Speaker 1: I don't know, God, there was so many things. If he really sat down and went through it all, it's just like pages of bullshit. But I once I did it, I remember I had I had one contact over in the States who was like a publisher or something, and he liked the demo of it. And then when I got it back from m Phases, I sent it to him and he said, ah, no, it's not It's not what I thought it would be. So I was like, oh my god, Oh there that there that goes. And I really remember going to bed that night thinking, Okay, I need to I need to like look at where I'm going maybe with the Titans, and try and work on what my job position is there. And like you know, when you just start thinking about like I need to yeah, or maybe yeah, we should buy it. Maybe we should buy a sandwich shop, Shane, or maybe we should buy a bakery, or I don't know, like what are we going to do because music isn't happening And I'd had so many things leading up to that point that were also signs to me to give up. So yeah, and then like and I'm really I'm like not a woo woo kind of person. But I really truly believe that the universe has like got a plan, because there's no way I should be here.
Speaker 3: There's no way I should have made it. Okay, So what happened? What happened when you were you're like contemplating different pathways.
Speaker 2: I just did it by itself. That's that's the beauty of art.
Speaker 1: You make something pure and good for the right reasons, it finds a way.
Speaker 2: Ware did it land first on Triple jown earth?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It was Triple J.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I saw you put up a post on a door's tenth birthday saying, you know how appreciative you were to Triple J. But then you took a job on Telly and basically that way done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know. I was just being cheeky, but yeah, I mean I guess, so I guess, like I don't really know how they work, but but they definitely were the reason that.
Speaker 2: I got anywhere for sure, Like you.
Speaker 3: Know, and then it exploded And it was one of those songs that a bit like gotcha really that different than anything else. And like I said, I was working in commercial radio, so you heard a lot. There was a lot of churn, and there was just wherever we were, whatever we were doing in the course of the show, when that song came on, you just kind of stop, or you'd be singing along. It was a very powerful little song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't see it either, like like you didn't know it was going to be that song. I mean, I hadn't had anything here, and I thought all my songs were great, so I was like, why would this song do any different? And I do a lot to m phases because I think he spent a lot more time on it than he was going to. Like obviously I had the song written and the guitar and everything was there, but that beat he put.
Speaker 2: On it, it.
Speaker 1: Just it gave it just another level of cool. And yeah, I just remember hearing it being so excited. But I was just excited to show my friends, like I just was. I still wasn't like, oh, this is gonna change my life, because you just don't know that.
Speaker 3: No, of course, but in retrospect, you know that, like you can say that that was that was the point of lift off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's why I'm such a believer in doing stuff that, like not really trying to do anything for anyone else or trying to like almost like cheat in the game of life, like you just can't.
Speaker 3: You just got to like do something for you.
Speaker 1: And I think it honestly has this beautiful way of doing what it will.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got to just the faith. Yeah, yeah, having that faith.
Speaker 3: But we also know there's a lot of artists that have had that faith. Yeah, and it hasn't happened. Yeah, So for it to happen, like you said, it takes an extraordinary confluence of events.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the universe knows when you've done your time, right, because I had done fifteen years. It's not like I, yeah lucky, So it's like I don't know, it was like a payment in some way. But then it's funny because like then you'll have I have these moments in this life where I'm like, careful what you wish for?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, which is what what do you have to be careful that you wish for more success?
Speaker 1: Or no? Just everything changes, right, everything, Like when you're on TV and when you are on radio and people think you're this superstar and think you're like a multi millionaire, and yes, everything changes and you see the ugliest sides of people rush. So there's that part that you're like, oh, if I could go back behind.
Speaker 3: The curtain again, that was nice, But you can't do that now, even in that ten years, which is a short amount of time, but things have changed so swiftly and irrevocably in music, yeah, in the arts generally, in lots of people's professions and jobs, so you can't be anonymous, no, and you have to be front facing, and particularly as well as a woman. There's a lot of emphasis on how you look, which is lucky that you look beautiful, you know, that's like ninety percent of the job done. But you seem so youthful at the time with your little top not that I think it's easy to forget that you were actually a grown up then, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think even though I wrote, you know, quite a passive, aggressive song about the music industry, and I said, Hi, I look at it now, and I'm like, thank god I was a full grown adult, because I just don't think I would have made the right decisions, and I think I would have been a bit more of a mess if I hadn't. I mean, I think everything happens for a reason. I really do, like and as angry as I was, as to how much time it took.
Speaker 2: I really wasn't ready until I was ready.
Speaker 1: And I guess the reason I've managed to squeeze so much in and capitalize so much in ten years is because I had all that training. You know, I played and you were ready, and yeah, I was ready. Like I've had guys yell stuff out. I can handle myself. I know what to do. Nothing really scares me. My hands are really strong from playing four hours a night every week, like, and singing all the time and so and having weird requests and just shit like that. You don't you think it's annoying at the time, and you're like, wow, that was just like a massive it's your training.
Speaker 3: It's your apprenticeship. Yeah what how was it, by the way, for your nan when you're when you had that massive breakthrough commercially?
Speaker 2: Ah shit, you know you loved it. The best thing about that woman was.
Speaker 1: She Fuck, I've been so good this whole month not getting upset about her.
Speaker 2: You just lost her, like, oh, you're a.
Speaker 1: No. But she I could talk to her about like she wouldn't care. She would she would love it, like she would love everything I did. But then she would know to ask about my plants and are you now? And there's a salon over at the fair Pacific Fair actually lived and I was thinking to you, and I think this jacket that I found And it was so nice to have someone who wasn't constantly talking about music or or oh can you take a photo for.
Speaker 2: My friend Bill down at the Blood.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like Nan just would talk to me about and she'd still call me and be like, there's a program on TV about the big prison that you said that you saw in the Alcatraz and I think you'd like and it was just like, yeah, it was just so nice, you know, and I get the only other people of you yeah, just yeah, exactly like and it just she just kept it real like. And she was kind of the only one for a while apart from my nieces and nephews who don't give a shit about charts or radio or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that's what I miss.
Speaker 1: I miss a lot of like just that leveler of not like as as proud as she was of me. And she really was so proud and like was just so blown away, especially when Idle happened to She loves she loved the Telly.
Speaker 2: You know, she's a brit So she'll sit there and watched her Telly and she loved me on that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she got to see like the you know, some really cool parts. Yeah yeah, which she would have always known about you, Yeah, because you were you, but also because of the way she loved you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the person that sees all of you and loves all of you is a remarkable person to have in your life. Yeah, and that is I understand. And that's a huge loss. Yeah, that's hard, and then you just have to be appreciative that you had them totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But you you were so close to her that when twenty twenty two Arias you were nominated for an aria, but you didn't go to the Arias No, because.
Speaker 1: You were were Yes, my auntie had been her Cara and she needed to go. She just needed a break, to be honest. She went back to the UK because that's where she was living. So, yeah, I was looking after Nan for like ten weeks or.
Speaker 3: Something and doing all her meds and it was how old was she then?
Speaker 2: Nineties? She would have been ninety.
Speaker 1: Five or six, ninety six maybe right, Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: It was tough.
Speaker 1: She was still with it, like you know, she would have moments but you could still have a cup of tea and watch you know, stuff and still talk to her and she would still you know, still such a fun hang.
Speaker 2: But it was. But it was hard because you know, body then is really what you know, well you both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a whole new respect for cares after that, because like you think, you think you could just sit her in a chair and then like go and do something, but then she gets up and you're like, or you should be up on a ladder like trying to water a plant. You're just like, oh god, woman, that was a really trying time, But I'm glad I did it, because yeah it was. It was awesome, like you know, experience and time we got to spend together.
Speaker 2: And some things you only get once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, And you always want to think that you honored that, which became such a foundational part of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also like no one would have taken care of her as good as I did, you know, I know that, Like I'm like it was the best and for the job, and I knew that.
Speaker 3: Well, love is the most effective way to make someone a beautiful servant, isn't it humbling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, all the times she would have she has done it for me, been that person that you know, crack the shits that mom and dad and go live with men for a while, you know.
Speaker 3: And then so speaking of servant and also master, your husband, who's your manager and my servant? Yes, and your servant and master. Like, that's a bizarre isn't it? Like your lover, your servant, your boss everything. Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is a lot. How does that work.
Speaker 3: Like? And what's the hierarchy in a For a little while, my husband was sort of working as my manager and it was terrible. It was just terrible. I couldn't I couldn't change in between the roles. And every time I had to talk to me about work, it would make me angry because I like to talk about work. Yeah, so how do you navigate that in a romantic relationship as well.
Speaker 1: We've we've definitely been through it, you know, and we've had practice before because we've worked together twice before I kind of was this, you know, I just was in and out of jobs and he's he's like got me two jobs in my life and one was the Titans, and before that was like an accounting job. Which I still don't know what I was doing, but he's just always looked out for me, and we're also just like like at the end of the day, is like my favorite person, and he makes me laugh more than anyone, and I.
Speaker 2: Think I make him laugh too.
Speaker 1: But like, as we've just learned a balance and it's definitely been no better roses. It's not in any marriage. So it's like, and I think we know that well. We don't get down if we're in a shitty spot or if we're you know, and we kind of like music definitely is tested tests every marriage, so does fame. Like it's like, but I think we've done really well considering how much we've actually gone through and the pressures and the you know, we are everywhere we go, like we kind of have to. I don't know, we're always kind of been watched, I guess like if we.
Speaker 2: Or you think you're not and you are, or vice versa, so find out afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, it's and then his life has changed as well, you know, all his friends, like he was known as Amy Shark's husband for a while.
Speaker 4: Yah knows, like he doesn't have as identity, that's right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So he's been on his own journey. I've been on mine.
Speaker 1: You know. Every now and then we go out of sync, but we always managed to check in. I think that's the key, is checking in with each other and like always growing together. I think we could have easily just grown apart during this even though you're working towards a common goal. Yeah, yeah, you could, yeah, yeah, but we've just always I think at the end of the day, I'm just like, if I don't talk to Shane, it's like not the same day. It's like, I don't know, there's no real secret. It's just he's my guy, so and I trust him, you know. I think that's the biggest thing is a lot of people just tell you what you want to hear in your life. And I've met some amazing people, but I think he will always like, you know, tell me how it is, and if you know, if he's if I've done something, I know, said something weird or gone off track on stage or whatever, he's just not scared to be like that.
Speaker 2: Just don't do that. Yeah, Like that wasn't the best. Lie what do you what? What? What? What what are you doing on stage?
Speaker 1: Just like I might have I might have drunk too much before, or I've like we had a slick show and I've switched it up on the line and he's like, you know, You're like, I don't know. I'm a widow, but like he just he's just got a good gauge on.
Speaker 3: Things, and I'm the same.
Speaker 1: I like if I if he does something, I'll pull him up. Like it's we don't we don't really wait for things to combust anymore.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 3: More from Amy Shark after the break within your relationship? Is Amy Shark almost like a third entity?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I I will say, maybe we do that for Amy Shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is weird. I get that.
Speaker 3: No, I get it because otherwise otherwise it would be very unbalanced. Yeah, but this way, it's almost like a three legged pillar. Yeah, a three legged stool, which is a more solid foundation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's like it's a business, you know, Yeah, but it is. It is a business, but it's.
Speaker 1: You know, takes a lot to I'm also an artist, and an artist are sensitive and weird and wacky.
Speaker 2: And yes, I don't do anything to do with business.
Speaker 1: I don't business Like I write an email once a year maybe, and that's just to say thank you to people or or write mixed notes to my producer or something like. I just don't do any of that. He just does so much. He's admin, He's everything. Yeah, I'm like, just write a song. What do you contribute?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like the clown at the front. Do you are you domestic? Yeah? I am actually okay, I actually really am. Like I love I Like it's so funny because I think I'd just be a good housewife. Sad sounds so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, like I love cooking. I love having a nice home.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: I think maybe when we first started like dating, seriously, like I lost my job and I made it my goal to like have the best in our ready for you know, I have candles and like, you know, just try and make it a really nice home life because that's all I could have a Martine. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm not bringing in any money. So yeah. And then now Amy Shark's an actor. Yeah, how's that crazy?
Speaker 3: So that was a part of Russell Crowe connection in your life, which Russell Crowe also led you to Ed Sheeran, or lead Sheeran to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's been like a seminal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been a really such a good friend, you know, and it's we both just check in with each other all the time. You'd be shooting something and send me these cool photos of these samurai swords and it's awesome, Like it's it's unbelievable that I can just have this friendship with Russell Crowe. But the coolest thing he did was though, will send me that script because I was happy to know did he know that you were that you wanted to? I had joked with him before about acting and I had he had said, you know, music was my first love before acting. I go, oh, well, yeah, acting was my first love before music. Yeah, right, So he had thirty odd foot of grunt. What did you have acting wise? Any?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 1: But I had a little agent on the Gold Coast and I did a couple of like little commercial things, and like I was like obsessed with drama at school and the theater and I loved it.
Speaker 2: I really loved it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think that was and just movies in general, you know, like I just watched so many movies. But yeah, it was just so random that that has come back into my life because you just it's two of the hardest jobs ever. And I remember saying that to my parents once about about being an actress or taking acting lessons or and then you know, getting into music. They're like Jesus the same, You've picked two of the hardest things.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, yes?
Speaker 3: And how was it so you play Russell Crowe's daughter daughter?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And is he an MMA like a a a fighter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, potentially, but yeah he was mainly a trainer and then I was an ex MMA fighter turned trainer.
Speaker 2: Really, so did you have to do a lot of physical Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to do it like a couple of weeks to look like I mean'd be good at that, actually good.
Speaker 2: I did taekwondo as a kid.
Speaker 1: I was actually one step away from my black belt, but I was Yeah, I know, if my friends were too important then so I didn't want to commit to what I had to do to get it. But anyway, I have that skill set somewhere, you know, when you learn something young, Yeah, just it stays. Yeah, like even tennis. I used to play tennis as a kid. I can still play, but yeah, it was I still had to, you know, learn the ways of MMA, and there's so many things I had to yell out and say it with confidence and get up in Dan's face and tell them to sprawl and like and.
Speaker 3: Do it twenty times. Yeah, exactly. And how was it? How was the how is the process of being an actor?
Speaker 2: I loved it?
Speaker 1: I really loved it, like I loved everything about it. Oh really, yeah, yeah it was. So do you think that's there'll be more?
Speaker 2: I hope. So it's not really something I've I can say.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like, I just think it's going to be one of those things where I might get an agent and see what comes of it. Again every Yeah, that's a lot to be with a lot more experience than me as well if it comes my way.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Did you sing with Russell? You've sung with Russell? Yeah? I have? Yeah, what did you see?
Speaker 1: He loves my song Psycho, right, and so he's he was touring doing a cover of it, and then oh.
Speaker 3: I actually saw the tour. I thought that was his last.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yes, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: So but then I was playing a festival called Groove in the Mood and I got him to come to the festival and see that song with me, which was awesome because like the whole crowd was just like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that lad J is here? Oh yeah, that's true. It was cool.
Speaker 3: I imagine one of the challenges of being an artist in twenty twenty six, a musical artist, is it it's probably quite removed from what you thought it was going to be when you wanted to be a singer songwriter because now there's socials and like you said, it's very front facing. You're on television, there's streamers. So how does your how does your day look? How much time does it leave for creativity? And what are you in the service of to be an artist?
Speaker 1: Exhausto just listening to that, Yeah, it's a lot of my life.
Speaker 2: It's funny, Kate, because.
Speaker 1: This particular album can pain. I'm in a different mindset, Like I'm loving it and I'm having so much fun with it, Like I'm not really caring about about any outcomes or anything. I'm just like posting because I'm so hyped about the record. But in saying that, there is there's just so much to do like that, like we were saying before about getting eyes on your project, there's a lot of projects out there, and it's not just music. There's like podcasts and there's a Netflix, and there's all these other things for people to.
Speaker 3: Do rather than listen to your album.
Speaker 1: So why we're here, I guess there's why we're I'm constantly, you know, doing anything I can because I believe in it, you know, I want people to know about it.
Speaker 2: And it's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 1: But but what I will say is musicians are working harder than they ever have in their life, and a lot is on our shoulders, you know, like like we are the first to play the charity event, and yeah, you know, like we are they We're supposed to have all the answers and we're supposed to show up online, but oh, don't do that because you're goofy.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Oh but then but then you've got to be seen online, but not too much online.
Speaker 3: And then and then there's AI, which is our whole conversation that is not on behalf of writers and any people who have any kind of artistic output doesn't seem to be part of a conversation at governmental level. So it comes from artists to try and fight this.
Speaker 1: That's it, the bots exactly like and I'm not I'm not a political artist.
Speaker 2: I never have been, Like I just like, you know, I like.
Speaker 1: Got my heart broken and decided to write a song about it, and now I'm an artist. It's like, I'm not a genius. I don't claim to be. I don't have answers. I'm just like, you know, so a lot there's a lot expected of artists in this world today. We're not supposed to do anything wrong ever, and it's like supposed to be these magical beings that have yeah, like I said, all the right answers, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just tough, like it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of work comes from you know, you can't just go to the studio and do a really rad album and put it out there and then be like, Okay, cool, I'll see you guys in a few months.
Speaker 3: When we go on tour, it's like it's freaking so much work. And you're also not getting money from the streamers. So then to make money that you might have once got with album sales or yeah CDs, you've got to do live shows. So that's a whole other Yeah you're a busy girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're all busy.
Speaker 1: I think like everyone in the arts is just doing what they can and that's why anytimes I was like, what advice do you have apart from like run, go be a banker.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, do you really love it? Would you do it for nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay? Cool? Will you'll be okay then?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because you may well be Yeah, because that's that's it. It's like you've got to be okay with that.
Speaker 1: You can't get up thinking I'm going to be famous, I'm going to get followers, I'm going to be rich because it's not the climate, it's not the time. It's the time for art always is. Art will always be neat endures as well, of course. I remember, Yeah, Tom's a Launch said this in an interview years ago. I was like sixteen, and I watched him, you know, talking about his band Blink, and he's like, art will always find a way.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, that's so cool. Like, you know, it's so true as well when you think about I mean, it's hard to think about.
Speaker 2: The future because if you look at.
Speaker 3: The past, you could never have predicted what would have led you to here. But if you have a vague shape about your future, what does it.
Speaker 2: Look like.
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 1: I'd love to just be in Hawaii with a beautiful man rubbing my feet with a Pina Kolada, Right, that looks like.
Speaker 2: The immediate future, you mean, like particular.
Speaker 3: Beautiful man just Hawaiian ukulele.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: No, I can see, you know what, I can see a pretty cool simple life.
Speaker 2: I'd love to live in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: I'd love to have like a batch and I'd love to just fish all day every day.
Speaker 3: And that's it. How close are you to that though?
Speaker 1: I mean potentially if I wanted it to happen sooner, it could happen obviously anytime I want it. But I'm still pretty hungry, you know. I still love what we're doing, and I love the hustle. And maybe I'm institutionalized because I've been hustling for twenty years and I still even when I got my record deal, I was like, okay, like so what's next. You know, it's only sort of now that I feel a little more relaxed, Like it's like I have not been relaxed for ten years.
Speaker 3: That's just been. But also because didn't you.
Speaker 2: Have the.
Speaker 3: Creative drought before this album where you yeah, ill atrophied or yeah something where you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely I wouldn't call it. I've read some things about writer's block. It wasn't really a writer's block. I just didn't write. I just couldn't be bothered writing. I just was just I think it just was what happens when you are fully exhausted from head to toe, mind, body, spirit, You just you know, you know what it's like. You never turn off. It's like and ever since idle people know my face now a lot. Yeah, so it's you know, a few things, a few things go wrong in your personal life. You're trying to you know, I was trying to be on tour. I did the movie, which was you know, a bit stressful and challenging but amazing, and then idle and going through things, and you're trying to always be on and thinking, and then you can't really go down the cafe or I'm never I'm never really fully relaxed because someone's like.
Speaker 3: Oh you're amy, or yeah, you know, when I get home and there's like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Jill and Ben who live in apartment whatever, and I want to talk to you about blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And then is that a work talk or is it something about someone's pushed a flower potter.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's always like whether I heard you on a podcast, right, I heard I saw you on TV talking about it.
Speaker 2: So what actually when did you start writing songs?
Speaker 1: And it's like you're constantly like if I'm ever in neutral, I'm forever just chucking it in fifth gear and just being like hey, you know, and I think because I never want someone's first interaction with me to be crap or or even you know, people just make up their mind so quick. So yeah, I always feel like I'm on guard and I think I just I just hit I just hit the wall. I just was like, I'm just no energy and I just don't even want to play guitar. I just don't want to do anything. So yeah, it took me a minute to just get back to loving it again.
Speaker 3: But was it Shane that kind of recognized what was going on with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shane, you I was off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like yeah, most people you know, who you live with knew. I was like, you know, going through something. And yes, So then he booked booked me to go and write recorded yeah Wales. Yeah that's where my producer lives. Yeah, so you had a month. I had a month to write that, to make songs, make as many songs as I can and yeah, and then get over there and record it, and it's the best thing I've ever done.
Speaker 3: Like I've never had no collaborator, collabse on the songwriting. It's you yeah, yeah, wow, how is that? It's kind of what I've always done.
Speaker 1: But I mixed it up with like I'll go to LA and I'll work with a producer and he'll play a beat and I'll be like, oh, yeah, cool, I'm thinking blah blahlah blah. Whereas this time I did have a clue, Like once I accepted the challenge and I started to get really disciplined, like not going on my phone and like just really knowing, Okay, I want to I want to go and do this, and I want to be excited on the plane, and I want my phone to be chockers full of amazing demos. You know. Yeah, I just got I just got really really focused, and I knew that if I could get if I could just get good songs, I knew Dan would just take them to the next level, you know. So it was it was really exciting once they started coming together, and I think Shane knew that it was a vicious cycle because I was writing, but writing would have made me happy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it is the monkey on your back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the first day sucked like it did.
Speaker 2: It was like only one day.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, quite yeah, I can't Yeah, Ebbs and clothes, Well, we're just actually a bit weird because the very first day, when I think about it, I didn't have the whole song.
Speaker 2: But the biggest dick was the first single.
Speaker 1: And I literally say first morning and months didn't think about you once got coffee on the way and that was me just literally going through what my day was like to try and get in the swing of songwriting again.
Speaker 2: And I ended up giving it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was something, Yeah, it was something, and it sounded cool. So yeah, it's funny. Just yeah, I'm like, wow, you can do anything you set your mind too, because I just can't believe that that happened.
Speaker 3: But that's kind of liberated you now, hasn't it. Yeah, and now you've got the momentum of the album. Mm hmm. A girlfriend and I just had an argument outside actually when I was listening before I came in to meet you, because she said it's a really sad album and I said, it's not a sad album.
Speaker 2: She said yeah, and she was so we're playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she thought it was really sad in about She goes, who are the breakups?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I can't know. It's the thing is I less my favorite thing to write about. And even though I am in a happy marriage, I borrow things all the time from my past my present. Might be a fight that we had recently. You could think it's about some something, but it's actually about a friend or like you know what I mean, Like I I borrow so many feelings and I borrow so many people, and I borrow like I just it's it will forever be a puzzle.
Speaker 3: To you guys.
Speaker 1: Only I know exactly word for word who everything is for which you.
Speaker 3: Don't want to say, but it takes the sexiness out.
Speaker 1: And also like that's my That's that's what keeps me alight, you know.
Speaker 2: That's like I love having that secret. I love it.
Speaker 1: I just I will never be an artist that will sit here and go, well, see that line there is because what happened was that person? Yeah, because that's just like not hot. So I just that's what I remember.
Speaker 3: You can tell Tyler Swift that poor.
Speaker 1: Thing, she can't I don't have someone with that much of a magnifying glass.
Speaker 3: It's massive as well. She loves that's good thing. Yeah exactly. Well she's smart about it as well. Yeah, she doesn't tell all. It's like poetry. Yeah, you know, speaking of Tayler Swift Bree, our producer was we were having a discussion yesterday about the silhouettes. Very interesting that a lot of the iconic female artists have had a silhouette that's very recognizable. Ariana Grande and the ponytail or you know, Beyonce like very and you were our Australian that had that with the top notch. Now at some point you can't have a top knot forever. I see that it's gone for now. But that was I'm going to say, the greatest top not Like your hair was always stunning.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: At what point is it a discussion where people say, hey Amy, is it a discussion?
Speaker 2: Hey Amy, you want to do something different with your hair? Do you?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Was it? It?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: I have I'm so lucky I don't have people really like my label would never say that to me.
Speaker 3: I sort of felt like it was time myself.
Speaker 1: I loved it for years before I yes, I for now people were like you did with your hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like, you know, but people don't know what they want.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Now people are writing where's the butt?
Speaker 1: You know, and and I it's kind of sad because like so many kids come to, you know, see me, and they got their hair done like me, and and it really was part of who.
Speaker 2: I was and who I am, you know, like and it was the silhouette.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you didn't set out to do that, but that became just your signature. Yeah, that you were so immediately recognizable. Yeah, it was really clever. Yeah, it was a brand accidentally clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really was accidental though, because I like I remember the day we were in New York and we had a big our first big meeting with a label over there and Republic and this guy Avery. People in the industry will know, this guy is like the big dog. He only came in for like ten seconds. I was just with his henchman and he was like, Amy, I love the record, like he'd heard a door. I love the record, Keep the Adidas, and I love the hair. Yeah, keep the hair, And that was it. Keep the hair, keep the adiittas he loves the record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So and what have you got today, You've got a didas, you've got a record, but you didn't keep the hair.
Speaker 2: It'll be back. You got to you gotta get rid of things for people to miss it.
Speaker 3: Actually, this is interesting because I do think there's a point at which familiarity breeds contempt. I think because you always bring and you always have since I first met you, and since the Australian public first met you, you bring.
Speaker 1: A real.
Speaker 3: Egalitarian sense of Australians with you. You got so many you know what I mean, Like you just you like an Aussie. Yeah, and you even what you said earlier about wanting people to have a nice first impression of you. But sometimes I think in showbies that can be taken for granted.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm yeah, oh yeah, yeah definitely.
Speaker 3: So I'm not saying I want you to disappear. Yeah, but in some ways it would serve us right if you disappeared, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I get, I get it. It's kind of like I say it all the time.
Speaker 1: I said, I said to someone the other day, they'll talk about my cover or got that fluffy album cover.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, but no one will appreciated it till I'm dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Well, Amy Shark, I'm saying we appreciate you.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you in life. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: This has been a really nice chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic too for you to share yourself with us. So thank you, Amy Shark. We love you, we adore you.
Speaker 2: Ah, look there she is. Poet. Didn't know it, never heard that never first time.
Speaker 3: One of the things that struck me about this encounter with Amy was how honest she is about success. We spend so much of our lives chasing the thing we think will make us happy. But as Amy discovered, getting everything you'd dreamed of doesn't necessarily make life simpler. Sometimes it makes it more complicated.
Speaker 2: What stayed with me wasn't just the story of her breakthrough.
Speaker 3: It was the story of finding her way back to music after almost walking away from it altogether. Amy's new album, Soft Pop, is out now. If you enjoy this episode, make sure you follow No Filter wherever you're listening and Mamma MEA subscribers get to hear it first. Every episode of No Filter drops two full days before regular listening exclusive for subscribers. Plus, you get access to subscriber exclusive episodes across the Mumma Mea Network. Tap the link in the show notes and become a Mumma Mea subscriber. Today, I'm your host, Kate Langbrook. Thank you for listening to No Filter.