Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm on a MIA podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women. You need a laugh if you remember using a pencil to manually wind a cassette tape back together.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, welcome you found your people. So who is on the sofa this week?
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Mary Cosas. I'm an actress rider.
Speaker 5: I'm Grace Bam Bam Lamb as Bruna Pepperoni you like to call me. I'm a fashion stylist.
Speaker 1: I'm Bruna Pepperoni or Pep Andrea as I'm more commonly known. I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Kath Mahoney or Mahoney as Grace Lamb likes to call me, and I'm a comedian.
Speaker 3: All right, wherever you're listening.
Speaker 2: I'm clench your jaw, now, clench your pelvic floor. Get ready to unleash. Okay, who's bursting at the seams?
Speaker 3: To start?
Speaker 6: Okay, first order of business today, I need to play something that came into our DMS because I think it's the best thing I have heard in ages.
Speaker 4: This is from Unleisha Jess.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I have a bit of a suggestion.
Speaker 7: My suggestion is that Kath should be the next Bachelorette. Not only would it be really good for her dating life, but we all agree, my girlfriends and I that Kath is one of the funniest women in Australia and would make for the best television.
Speaker 6: What do you think, Absolutely, you would be fantastic for many reasons. One, you're intelligent, to your heartfelt. Three you're not relying on your cleavage. So I think that that would be something that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that, Kath going on national TV to find love to be crushed?
Speaker 3: I mean, look to find love? What have we got to lose?
Speaker 2: We've got some context Channel Night. I guess we'd have good content.
Speaker 1: Else great content. I feel very optimistic about this plan. I love what Jess is suggesting.
Speaker 3: Do you think okay? I did okay? What do you think, Grace?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't watch TV, but if you're on I watch it?
Speaker 3: You would watch it? Wouldn't You could come? You be my stylist? Show would be? Would it be the Golden Bachelorette?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Well, I was a lady of a certain age. Those young peeps, look, I mean, why not?
Speaker 3: Why not? For the show for the good of the show.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, all right, Bruner, I mean you are your producer extraordinary?
Speaker 3: Would you put call in?
Speaker 1: I am one putting a call in?
Speaker 3: Really, let's go, cav go.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies. Something has been irritating me all week. But stay with me.
Speaker 3: I promise you. I'm not a bad mother.
Speaker 2: It's my son, My son, my beautiful son, really gave me the shits last week.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 3: He's been sick, home sick. Okay, we're gen X.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I grew up my brother and my sister in a household that, unless you legit had been hit by a car and had body parts protruding through his stomach like an alien, you were not getting the day off now, you know, chicken parks, mumps and a push. We were allowed to stay, but we were still sent to school spotty.
Speaker 3: I remember that with.
Speaker 2: All over the pox and so. So that's just how we've grown up. So I have no sympathy at all really for illness. Lewis was I will say he was sick in a cold and coughing sort of scenario. Nothing temperatary, you know, hospital esque, not dying, not dying dot com. So the first night that he wakes me up, and I'm in pair, eat menopause, hell with my sleep at the moment.
Speaker 3: So that sucked me right off the fact.
Speaker 2: That he woke me when I was asleep to tell me he couldn't go to stay. It's like three in the morning, So I shoved some neurofen. I just give him the tiet roll. I give him the tilet roll I can. Then hear noises that just sound like clearing the throat, blowing the nose like a trumpet. I thought, I'm gonna have to teach him that after the third trumpet blow, if no snot's coming out, let it happen.
Speaker 3: Nothing's going on. So that first morning gave him a bit more medicine.
Speaker 2: Realized I had like a chicken soup that I bought in the fridge for my lunch. I was like, right to tick, that'll suffice for him, fine, But I realized, like I gave him the one day off, and then I could see that we were going for a few days in a row and I just had zero sympathy.
Speaker 3: I pretty much have I reckon, I've got about an hour's.
Speaker 2: Worth of sympathy in me, and then it just it just really annoys me, to the point that you also then have to you have to do sympathy, you have to do the nurse stuff, you have to pretend to be an interested and then I work from home, so having anyone else in my space it's a little flat, was annoying. So that first day I was barely sympathetic. By the next day and the next day, so we had three days at home.
Speaker 3: I was awful, Like, I was so awful. I was just like, what do you mean. There's no food in the house.
Speaker 2: There's like toasts, there's you know, we can have chicken soup again. Anyway, it just really annoyed me, and I realized speaking to other gen X mums who got kids at school, I'm not the only one.
Speaker 1: I think probably the same time I had two thirteen year olds home. All of the said, funnily enough, it was the last week of school. It's very interesting that they didn't have the cold the whole week when they started their holidays. They're out and about on their holidays, and it's so funny you say that. So I try and appear empathetic, and I did a pretty good job for the first few days, and then at one point I went, oh, come on, mate, like stop putting it on, and he looked at me like I stabbed him, like I was the worst mother in the world for the lack of sympathy. But I had that same thought, like I went to school, come hell or high water. Yeah, is because we had less to do at home. We wanted to go to school.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I did notice one thing, like if any of my friends my girlfriends are.
Speaker 3: Sick, I would be the first to check in, Can I do something? Can I come over? Can I bring you bought food?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to make you food, But I have like genuine compassion for my friends, which just evaporated within twenty four hours. My own kin, Grace Mary.
Speaker 1: What are we in like Outlander?
Speaker 2: My own kin from my own lines.
Speaker 6: I also think we could add there's a couple of layers to this. I think when we're looking at men or boys that try to play the I'm a man, i'm a boy, I'm tough on this, on that, and then they can't handle like a running nose or a cough, and then they're they're really dragging that out.
Speaker 4: I think that there's something about certainly.
Speaker 6: I know with males, older males, when they say things like I've got a saw tummy, Oh my god, I'm like, what are you going to start saying mummy and words like that too. I just I just think that there's more more impatience around males that perhaps are sick than females. Also, sometimes you feel like it's a manipulation, don't you Like we look at it cynically a lot of the time, especially with kids, when they say that they're unwell, you're going, but are you.
Speaker 5: My line to my boys and my husband and my son is like, try giving birth. Shut up, try cutting our stomach, copen like I did. Shut up, That's what I do. But my mum was fierce. Like the only two times that I was allowed to stay home was during primary school because high school went to UK boarding school, so she can't control. In primary school, I only missed school two times. One time I basically told her I was sick. She didn't believe me until I threw up in front of her and she goes, oh, that's serious. Because my mom will bait me and say to me, why don't you watch TV? And if I say yes, that means I'm faking it, right, the second incident. Second incident was I had a fucking boil on my ass and I was kept saying to my mom, something's oozing out of my butt.
Speaker 3: She looked at it.
Speaker 5: She's just like a huge fucking boil. She took me to the doctor and they cut me open. Three people hold me down because the doctor, the pedutrician, did not use anesthetic, so he cut me open.
Speaker 3: Three people holding me down.
Speaker 1: I mean, grace is the case for white children should be believed exactly.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, my mom was holding me down my shoulder and then she found out I had knit at the same time. When it rains it paused.
Speaker 1: Three time.
Speaker 5: She'd let me stay at home and that was it. I don't remember getting sect that much. I just been kissing. These days are such woosies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 6: So something happened to a friend of mine this week and it's really got me thinking, if.
Speaker 4: Her husband is unwell, what do you need? What can I do for you? Let me go get that.
Speaker 6: So my friend she's unwell and the husband's great for about four hours first day, very very committed. After that, nothing, but she is bedridden for at least a week and cannot get up and do.
Speaker 1: What she normally confront him about the lack of continued love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think she was more disappointed than in any place to confront him. I think she was like, what is.
Speaker 1: Going on here?
Speaker 4: Why is this not happening? In return?
Speaker 6: And she was justified, like she literally couldn't get out of bed. So she's telling me this, and I'm feeling for a right because she takes great care of her husband and her children and her home and their life.
Speaker 4: She's that person.
Speaker 6: Her love language in her marriage is to be the caregiver.
Speaker 4: She just does it naturally.
Speaker 6: So I said to her, obviously, you've got different love languages. You know, that's your way of giving love, showing love.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's not his language. Would that be fair to say?
Speaker 3: I think so. I love I love love languages.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is your love language?
Speaker 2: Well, I went on a date last year and because everyone now on the date and you know, on the dating apps, talks about what their love.
Speaker 3: Language is, it's a thing. Yeah, it's a thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there's five love languages. First, one acts of service in the lawn, filling the color petrol, picking the kids up, words of affirmation, praise, I'm proud, of you.
Speaker 3: You're amazing.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you. Physical touch fairly self explanatory.
Speaker 2: Receiving gifts also love that and quality time like no phones, one on one.
Speaker 3: You know, however, you sort of roll.
Speaker 2: This guy said to me, what are your love languages? And I said all five. We had two more dates after that. His love language was acts of service, and I was a bit like, oh, that's really lovely, but I'm going to need you to tell me that this and blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's tricky.
Speaker 2: But I did have a partner who did a lot of big sort of gift stuff, spectacular stuff, and then kind of ghosted me and disappeared. So I am very sort of cautious of love bomb I think the.
Speaker 3: Kids call it love bombing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, so for me, it will probably the most important thing.
Speaker 3: No, it's not what it used to be. I mean, buy me great stuff, I think it is, which it's not for me, definitely not anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big fan of receiving gifts.
Speaker 6: I just feel like I don't need it, Like I love the idea year behind it, but I don't really need any more things, and I don't want someone, you know, having to go to that expense. But I'll always take thoughtfulness above everything. And if someone's just like thinking about you know what matters to me and just a simple something that requires effort.
Speaker 4: I find a lot more impressive and thoughtful.
Speaker 5: I say, take the gifts and say thank you.
Speaker 1: Can either receipt.
Speaker 3: So you'll love language, We know what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Gift giving is yes, yes, I am a big gift giver. As one of my love languages, I would say, so, what's the one where you tell people how you feel? That's not my love words of relation, acts of service. Yes, I would say, I'm very much that person. But can I just say what I like to risceive? Yes, language like certainly for me, the things when people remember things that are specific to me. I love it. And actually I have very clear memories. I remember really clearly. I had really bad morning sickness with the twins and my husband. The only thing I could eat with cinnamon donuts from this one particular place, and every day he would go and wait for their place to open until they made those cinnamon donuts. And I just remember, like I still think about that. That to me is love.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's like a very specific thing and I and you know he would do that for me today. But if he could remember exactly what I.
Speaker 3: Loved, you could just encourage him with the list. I think. Yeah, Grace, what about you? What's your love language?
Speaker 5: Everything? Yes, if I like you, I got order verhotypical ares. But at the same time, if you betray me your dad to me, yes, simple as that. Because I give so much and when someone's in trouble, I'm the first one to be there, and I'm kind of like Harveychai Tell from pop fiction. Yeah yeah, when people are in trouble, they call me, yeah, and I'm that straight away.
Speaker 3: What can I fix?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: But when people don't reciprocate, I don't understand why, because I I think when you're good to people, it doesn't mean that I'm asking for a return. I just thought they were on the same level of giving and taking. So when people don't give as much as I give, I'm like, oh, I misunderstood where our friendship or relationship.
Speaker 1: But I don't think you did misunderstand. I think that goes to how different people kind of think about love, Like I'm the same as you, Like I'm always shocked when people don't behave in the same way I do, or don't reciprocate in the same way I do it, or don't show up in the same way I do. But some people just aren't built like that. They show love in different ways, and it's interesting. So yeah, I'm trying not to get angry about it, but I've had many a conversation like I just don't understand and also don't expect people to change who they are. No, they don't inherently change.
Speaker 5: In my experience, I actually lower my expectation now. The only people that I give so much too is Jason, my husband, and my son. Yeah, and before I was so thin with everyone. Now I realize, oh, it doesn't work both ways sometimes with some people. So I'm just like, you know what, fuck you.
Speaker 2: So so grace husband, Jason? How does he shaw love out of those things?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know what I've done in my previous life to deserve him, because that guy is fucking amazing and I'm a lot I know, and he put up with a lot. But at the same time, I give him twenty four to seven entertainment. Hell, I'm just saying, he you know. On my fiftieth birthday. I mean, he's done so many things for me and vice versa. On my fiftieth birthday, he basically did a video of sixty of my closest friends and you know, people I love all around the world, and some of them he's never met. So he basically went down through my whole entire contact list, ask them, contact them to get to make me a video of like a few minutes whatever and stuff. It took him two months to and a half months. Yeah, and I couldn't believe he pulled it off because a lot of people he had, you know he hasn't met, ye, because I've got for all around the world. And when he sent me that video, I was just like, oh my god. There's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: And they're the things that people talk about doing but don't do because it is too much. Ever, my husband did a similar thing for me and it's something I still hold on to now. And I know how much effort went into that, how much time. That's significant.
Speaker 6: No, I love that well. Brunner is that person for our group. She's always the one that's organizing an event. Last year my birthday, she organized a weekend away for all the girls and the best bit was that, you know, we thought we'd peaked. We'd had breakfast that morning, we'd had a beautiful dinner that night, and then we went into this separate room and then they all went away. The cake arrived and I was like, where is everyone? And they all walked in with Effie wigs. It was hilarious, like it was just the best thing ever.
Speaker 4: Everyone looked ridiculous. We had such a laugh.
Speaker 6: But you're always the one that's doing the birthday videos, You're always the one that's organizing everything.
Speaker 4: I'm more the.
Speaker 6: Person, like I'm very good in every day scenarios. I'm the person that'll wash the dishes if I can. I'm the person that'll burnie your backyard prior to a party.
Speaker 4: I'll help you organize your house.
Speaker 3: You know, you pig.
Speaker 1: I'm a comport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your love language, acts of service.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It's very action.
Speaker 6: But I'm also very verbal. I'm the always the person giving a speech. So I'm I'm a big fan and this was one of the benefits of being, you know, a child whose father was dying. I don't delay expressing how I feel about someone. I don't wait for a eulogy. I don't wait for an important birthday. I give those speeches every chance I get. There isn't a single person that I love that doesn't know why I love them. And I'm also a fan of bespoke love. I'm not generic about it. You will know exactly why I love you, what it is about your character that I love, because the last thing I want is anyone to not get a sense of how magnificent they are, because I think that's the ultimate you know, love language.
Speaker 5: Yeah, marriage, some your text and maybe like the second month after we met, and I like this and this about you, And I said to Jason, my husband, I'm like, is she a fucking lesbian?
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 2: So you would powerwash somebody's driveway, Mary, But how do you like to accept love?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: I like.
Speaker 6: My husband's really good at drawing, so he'll do little notes and do really cute like little pictures like animations and stuff for me, and I've collected them over the years.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 6: I don't want I get embarrassed at the idea of a candle lit dinner.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh my god, that is so embarrassing. I'm gonna get dressed up.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'll do it, but not with any expectation that this is what romance should look like. I've found romance in the smallest things, not the biggest things, and I think most of us relate to that, right, I mean, I think we've all had I mean, I certainly have you know, the Five Pillars of Love. I've been in really good relationation ships, but physically it wasn't there. And that's just like, I mean, do we all not remember that feeling of like thinking every someone had everything and then physically you don't.
Speaker 1: Have a connection. Yeah, that's pretty kind of you know, I think that's pretty common and pretty jarring.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or it's physically there and there's there's no interest. I went out with such a great looking guy, I remember, and there was nothing, nothing exciting in the way that we you know, we had a great sense of humor, we laughed a lot, but there was no intellectual stimulation there.
Speaker 4: There was no thinking about anything outside.
Speaker 6: Of what was happening in that moment, you know, And as fun as it was, it was like an empty cab for me.
Speaker 4: So I didn't find that romantic or sexy.
Speaker 5: Speaking of romance guys, I watched Office Romance Oh Yeah on Netflix with Brat Gilstein and j Low and I loved it. Oh good really because it was so funny and I don't like two americanize shows. I love British sense of humor. Grew up in UK, and Brett Golsden does.
Speaker 4: It so well.
Speaker 5: He's he is amazing right, And it got me thinking how many office romances have we had? Because I had a few, and I love to hear your story, slag.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can't. I'm not sure I can use the word office unless film sets count. Yes, I definitely, I would say the majority of my romances, and I'm putting inverted commas there, I probably met through work in some way, having dated many an actor or a filmmaker or a writer. I mean, I'd say my office romance started early. I lost my virginity on a film set. The very first film set I turned in. I lost my virginity to an actor on a film set, so on physically on the set, but I was interning on a movie. I did lose my virgincy to the lead actor. I'm a very big fan of the office romance, and we're in business with my husband now, so that might tell you something.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, this is gold can I ask where on the set?
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 1: Physically on the set? I think I was in his apartment that he was staying at. Not he wasn't his home. He was filming off site, so to speak.
Speaker 3: Did he know that he was your first?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think he luxuriated in that fact. I certainly wasn't his.
Speaker 5: How did it even happen?
Speaker 1: Well, I was like, I mean I was just so confident and you know, fun, and you know, I was like interning on this movie and I was this, you know, gorgeous young thing.
Speaker 4: And did you think did you or did he pursue?
Speaker 1: I think both? I think definitely both. Yeah. I mean I think I got a little bit enamored because you know, he was at the time quite a well known Australian actor, no names, and but I became a bit enamored and he kind of entertained it for a bit. We definitely saw each other a bit afterwards, but he was dating many other women at the same time, so that was probably my first heartbreak.
Speaker 2: We're thinking about what you're going to wear every day going onto sat Was it awkward after on set?
Speaker 3: Were now done it?
Speaker 1: I don't think I thought it. I mean I just always look good back then. You know, I was like eighteen and fun and like just in the world, like having the time of my life.
Speaker 6: Bruno, I've seen you over the years. I mean I think, you know, you flirt with furniture. I mean, I think when you're in a good moody, you're very vivacious and very you know, life affirming and out there in all.
Speaker 4: The best ways. Did you flirt with him?
Speaker 6: Because I've seen you at times just make a decision or I really like that that and then turn to me and say, I'll see you in twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, yeah, and off you've got. Yeah. Yeah, I was a very good flirt. I mean, I say not so much anymore because I don't need but I was really I was very flirtatious, and I probably was, you know, had a bit of Dutch courage. I was probably you know, drinking a lot back then. But yeah, I was a really good flirt. I was unafraid. My best line you probably remember this, Mary. I would go up to guys and just say, Hi, I'm Bruner, I'm your future ex girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But you know what I loved about where your head was at.
Speaker 6: You weren't looking for love. You were looking for a good time. You weren't looking for approval. You were looking for a good time. You were looking to get off. You weren't looking to, you know, to get the attention. It was very almost you know now when you look back at it, it was almost like a male mentality. It wasn't that you were looking for approval. That's what I liked about how you went about it, because I.
Speaker 1: Was looking for more at times, and you know, had my heartbroken a few times. But I moved on very quickly. So who else has had an office ro now?
Speaker 6: The first professional acting job I got was for a theater company.
Speaker 4: I was a puppeteer for the first three years ago area. Yeah, puppets. Yeah, that's sexy stuff right there.
Speaker 6: And I got the job and there was a guy there who was not my style whatsoever. Here's the thing, ladies, Sometimes it's the ones you don't expect that are more fun than the obvious.
Speaker 4: You know, fantasy.
Speaker 6: So we had a great friendship, you know, like we're working together for maybe six months.
Speaker 1: What was his job, marry He was an actor as well. He was in the same it was also a puppeteer.
Speaker 3: He was a puppeteer.
Speaker 4: He was good with his hands. What can I say?
Speaker 6: It was texterrous. So you know, we didn't go public with it. We probably happened ten times and that was it.
Speaker 1: A puppeteering romance. Cath of you had any you worked in the music business, Have you ever had any office romance?
Speaker 3: I've had, yeah, few.
Speaker 2: I did have a funny on my first job from university where we were a publishers, so we would like review nightclubs. It was trade press, me travel the country for a free bar, et cetera. And there was a guy that used to do the lighting and a lot of these kind of nightclubs that we go to, and I really fancied him, and everyone I worked with knew that.
Speaker 3: And then we had like.
Speaker 2: A big kind of you know trade awards like night and he and I ended up like spending the night together.
Speaker 3: But all it was was tops only, Like so I.
Speaker 2: Kept my Charmy's on tops only, so just tops only. So I kept my Jarmy's on and he kept his boxes on. So it was a lot of kind of you know, like sex without sex.
Speaker 4: So when you were saying tops, you mean just your the shirt part.
Speaker 3: Of your es was off? Did you I had my pajama bottoms. My mark suspense is just the whole.
Speaker 2: Entire pajama was on, so everything was covered. And then I just got the shit taken out of me by the rest of the company. I went for this great company in Manchester. There was like twelve or thirteen of us, so I just kept going Tops Only.
Speaker 3: It was just Tops Only to everyone anyway.
Speaker 2: About eight months later I realized because we had no week, we had those phones, you know, like the old fashioned phones where the name.
Speaker 3: Would come up like internals.
Speaker 2: And about eight months later, when I sat at somebody else's desk, someone had called from my phone. I didn't realize, but they changed my name to tops Only. For eight months, whenever I called someone in the office, unbeknown to me, it was like tops Only. I think I was so worried about being like someone had a one light stand with somebody in our work environment. I pulled it right back so there was no hr and that that sort of Do.
Speaker 1: We think people are having office romances now? With like everywhere talk around it like, I feel like, you know, it's kind of taken the fun out of some of the romances, don't you so?
Speaker 5: Bruna on film set nowadays they must be so much more careful about you know, who's hooking up with who?
Speaker 1: Oh, No, we have to do like before any TV show. We have to do like an entire HR like workshop where they tell you all the rules, things you can and cannot say, things you can and cannot do like that, that shit is nailed down. And obviously I'm often, you know, in a position of leadership. So and obviously I'm married. Sorry, let's get to the most important fact. I wouldn't because I'm married. But even if I wasn't married, I would not have any kind of office romance.
Speaker 5: These what's the consequences well of the question.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's you know, I think, particularly in America, could get very litigious. You know, I think, you know, we live in that world. And look, I think where the power I balance has been abuse so many times, particularly in my business, that you have to be super careful or declare that you're in a relationship with someone, which is I think what people do now, they say, you know, they declare it to HR before they work together.
Speaker 4: I wanted to have an office romance.
Speaker 6: I was working at the Hilton, and it was a housemaid at the Hilton, and I wore a canary yellow uniform with a white hat, sexy with a bit of lace on the apron that matched the lace on the hat. And it was definitely on the lowest in the hierarchy were the housemaids.
Speaker 4: And if you want to lose.
Speaker 6: Weight quickly, I suggest you go be a housemaid and do eighteen.
Speaker 4: Rooms on your own and go in there and.
Speaker 6: See all of people's literally dirty business and have to clean it up. My god, And sometimes they'd be generous enough to leave some coins in the sheets as a tip.
Speaker 1: Did you have a crash on the manager or something?
Speaker 4: Mini bar manager? It was hot and.
Speaker 6: Literally I could hear him coming down the corridor with his drinks trolley and all the little alcohol bottles would hit up against each other, and then I would get all tingly in my downstairs and I would hope that he would like meet me in the Manchester cupboard and we could get some business on. He never made eye contact, the manager with a mullet.
Speaker 1: Guys, you know what, I've been thinking a lot about friendship and cutting off friendships. Recently, I had someone contact me on Instagram because they saw I was in the country that they lived in, and I'd been there a few times, and they'd reached out and I had not made contact because that was just someone that was kind of from my and I love them at that time, but I just didn't feel like, you know, I hadn't seen them in years. And I stayed in contact with the people I wanted to. But they called me on it, and they said, what happened? What did I do? Why did you suddenly kind of cut off contact with me? And I tried to be as honest as I could. I basically said, you know, my life's been very different for the last fifteen years. I went away, I moved all over the world. I had twins, I have Loopers.
Speaker 4: Loopers.
Speaker 1: A Sloopers is always a good one when in doubt, don't have much time. I'm too busy dealing with my Loopers, and I've got a husband and I'm busy. I'm juggling a lot of things. But the truth is I've just grown apart from that person. They were an amazing friend to me at a particular time in my life, but it wasn't necessarily someone that I wanted in my present.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and was it just like, oh, you know, it'd be great to stay in touch did it come from a positive place or were they guilting you up for not.
Speaker 1: How No, it was like full on accusation. It was very accusatory and very confronting.
Speaker 5: I think it's kind of weird when people ask you questions like that. I'm always like, it's not always about you, because life happens and different age, different friends, basically, right, So for this person to ask you, what did I do it? It's not about you, mate, for got's sake, But you do.
Speaker 1: Feel like I definitely I really feel guilty. And sometimes I'll look back at old photos of people that I was so close with and had this like there was such a part of a specific time my life, and I will always feel a little bit guilty. But I totally understand why they're not my life anymore. But I do feel guilty because they were an important part of my past.
Speaker 6: But it's not funny that you don't think like that about it. You wouldn't send that same message to that person. So I often think, though it's a specific type of personality trait, I don't like jealousy. I just think it's a game you can't win, you know, like, if you're going to be jealous I have lots of friends that I'm really really close to, and I love all of them. But if you can't play nice, if you have to make it about you all the time, that it's not going to work. Because we're so time poor, that often will be in a group and if you don't, if you have issue with people in that group, then then you won't be part of that group. So that's one thing I don't like. I don't like people that bring a problem to every situation that you have.
Speaker 4: I had someone I used to know very very well.
Speaker 6: Every time we'd be somewhere happy, they would come in with a problem and make it about them and it would just ruin kill the vibe. The thing was that person always had a problem. That's how that person got attention. So I think that you know, friendship particularly, I think because it lasts for so long. If you if you've got the right friends, you know, you need to be able to grow together and evolve together.
Speaker 4: If you're still trying to have the friendship.
Speaker 6: You had back when you were partying or you know, two or three decades ago, that's not going to be where it's at anymore. Because life, you know, takes us in different directions and in the opposite way. I've got friends, and I'd be curious if you guys do who I might see once every two years and it's like I saw them yesterday to beause there's not this expectation.
Speaker 1: You just kind of revert. And there are some friends who aren't proprietorial over you, right, like you're not proprietory love your friends. Like I was just telling Cath earlier that, like she met our really good friend Molly from the US, and I just saw Molly and she was like, I love Kath. We've been communicating. I have friends that would be jealous about that because they're so proprietory about like their group of friends. I do not roll like that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: That freaks me out when somebody measures friendship on I called you more, I texted you more. You know I haven't seen you. That just sort of gives me I just want to back away very quickly with the truck noise. That just freaks me out because then I just feel like the pressure. It's not friendship, you know, they want something in exchange for something for me. I've never kind of had a friendship breakup, but when my marriage ended, I did lose friends, yes, And that's really difficult because because you know, you also know that if you know, you've met your husband and he brings his friends, and then his friends get married, and then your friends with the wives and stuff, that when everything goes wrong, it is sort of their side and your side. But it is really difficult, you know, letting those people go. But you have to.
Speaker 5: I've cut up one of my closest, closest friends of thirty five years two years ago because we give each other so much. Then I found out from a mutual friend that he's been bitching about me for about a year, which I had no idea. Can you imagine. I flew him to Purf to visit us. I was always there and also vice further to be fair to him, but I was not expecting that. I was so shocked to the point that and then I found out some more information about him, which I wasn't happy about, and I thought, wow, and it kind of what my vision of how I see him.
Speaker 1: But did you confront him about it?
Speaker 5: I cut him cold.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how I roll was broken.
Speaker 5: Weirdly enough, not really, I mean, they don't call me Queen of China tone for nothing. I mean, if I cut you off, your dad to me, when you.
Speaker 3: Cut someone off, how do you do that cold?
Speaker 5: Literally block blod Actually, you know what, It's kind of scary sometimes that I'm able to do that. But at the same time, we've made up before, you know, we had a huge fight before, and I'm you know, made up with him. I apologize to him. I don't know, It's just one of those weird things that I and then I believe, you know what. I'm at that stage of my life. People come in and out of your life, and I accept that.
Speaker 4: Bernie. Do you ever feel like you've been cut off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had It's kind of all connected to work, but I've definitely had business with people that I've been very close to and years and years of what I thought was a real friendship and then nothing. And I definitely think about that. I'm always a bit battled when people like cut someone off cold that they've had really long term relationships with.
Speaker 2: I spoke to my therapist about this once when I was kind of in a place with the friendship where I was like, this is draining a bit bit, Like you know, you said, with your friend's it's draining, and sometimes as a solo mum and a solo person, you're just keeping yourself above water. And certain friends like energy vampires you call that, you know. Yeah, and I sort of I spoke to my therapist about what do I do? Should I say blah blah blah and you know, make a big statement.
Speaker 3: I'm not that person.
Speaker 2: I'm not very comfortable with confrontation, and she just sort of we did some you know, make we did some energy work to kind of cut it, and she said, you'll just stop reaching out. She'll just stop, you know, like it just it kind of ebbed and it was a bit like that, I can't catch up this time. Sorry, you know a few of them, yes, and then there's not a big moment that anyone needs to kind of, I guess heal from it, just subsided.
Speaker 1: I've definitely had big moments with people where I didn't speak to people for a couple of years. Really, yeah, come back together. Yeah, Like I'm all more, I'm not passive aggressive. I'd rather have the fight and kind of deal with the ramifications. Then, like, no one say anything, I'd rather have the fight. What about you, mah, I maybe.
Speaker 6: Avoid the fight because at some point you've got to understand that someone's not going to change. And there's nothing more disappointing than hoping someone's going to be able to see your point of view or change their ways or adapt, and so I find that really hard. Sometimes I want to be the person that wants to have the conversation. At the same time, I'm thinking, okay, so you have it, and then what, it's not going to change anything, So why I avoid it? So there's part of me that fantasizes being really you know, transparent, saying, hey, this doesn't sit right with me?
Speaker 4: What's that person going to do?
Speaker 1: Agree with me?
Speaker 4: So I don't know. I don't know what the best way is.
Speaker 6: But I also know that things have got to use by date, you know, like some things are just certain moments in time. Some people come in and play an important role at a certain point in your life, and you hopefully do it back for them, and then you all move on and if it was significant, next time you see each other, you know it's still there hopefully, and if it's not, then you move on.
Speaker 5: With any relationship, it's about trust, right and if the trust is gone for whatever reason, then to me it's not solid enough.
Speaker 1: It's gone Yeah, the emotional trust is very important. Yeah. I've been trying to get rid of Mary for thirty love it, and I cannot get rid of it no matter how hard I tried.
Speaker 3: All right, blast from the past.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to a time where there was no social media, before streaming, before anyone knew where you were until you told them. Okay, So I gave you guys some homework. I wanted you to bring a line from one of your favorite movies from the eighties or nineties. Okay, ladies, this is how it's going to work. You say it first, and however, whichever tone you want to bring it to the table, we will try and guess the movie, and then we'll put the headphone on and we will listen to the actor saying the line.
Speaker 3: How does that sound? That sounds good?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, ladies, let's see if you can guess where this line is from. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Speaker 2: I think she knows, yes, can is it Ferris Buhler's Yes, Yes, Dell's day Off.
Speaker 3: Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while.
Speaker 1: You could miss it.
Speaker 3: I got goosies.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 1: Talk about a movie that has has never dated, Like I rewatched that movie, My kids rewatch that movie. I mean, the core themes of just like living your life and taking the day off and lines, it's so relevant and resonant and like Matthew Broderick is like everything in that movie. Yes, I mean that is just like one of the great Like you just feel a when you hear that line.
Speaker 4: Yes, Kat, what about you?
Speaker 2: Well, look, if we were doing favorite movies, I would obviously hit you with a nobody puts baby in the corner. Yes, because that is too easy. Know the words and I'm sure you'll know. All right, guess where this is from. They're just noodles, Michael.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like that? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They just I know. I can't. I'm like thinking and thinking, is it back to the future?
Speaker 3: No, shall we hear it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: They're only noodles.
Speaker 8: Michael Blade Runner, eat Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael, Hot Michael, They're only noodles.
Speaker 1: I'm stumped.
Speaker 4: Only Hot Michael. I knew was in the Godfather al Pacino. What is it?
Speaker 3: The Lost Boys? Oh?
Speaker 4: Wait, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: One of my core memories, The Lost Boys, was that not like a massive.
Speaker 1: No I did. I'm sure I saw it, but I don't remember that line.
Speaker 2: I remember that's when so Lost Boys about vampires, Keifer Sutherland's Vampire Michael Jason Patrick.
Speaker 3: And the best soundtrack ever Doom.
Speaker 1: I've ever seen it.
Speaker 3: My god, The Lost Boys, we need to watch it together.
Speaker 1: Again is so good.
Speaker 4: It was huge.
Speaker 1: The Unleashed Retreat will do that. Oh my god, Mary, what have you got? Mine is so uninteresting compared to that? You know, does anyone remember this line?
Speaker 4: Well? Aren't I the popular one?
Speaker 1: Are you a woman or a man?
Speaker 4: I'm a man?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is it the Breakfast Club?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 6: The popular one?
Speaker 1: What is that film?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 3: Jim Carrey?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 6: It's ace Ventura when nature calls. The reason why I love that line is a.
Speaker 4: Number of reasons.
Speaker 6: He's obviously gone to see a tribal elder. He's gone into this in Africa, right, and he's gone.
Speaker 4: Into this tent and they said, if he likes you, he'll spit on you.
Speaker 6: And then he comes out and he's got like almost it's dripping from his face. Obviously the elder liked him because he had saliva dripping like stalek tights from his chin all over.
Speaker 1: His adventure of ped Detective.
Speaker 6: Don't know the second one, I like the Africa one, And he comes out he says, well, aren't I the popular one?
Speaker 4: And for me? Because Greeks spit on children and in order to stop the evil Eye, I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I'm not great.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, so you sped, not directly. You don't put flemer into the spit and then attach it to the person that you're trying to stop from.
Speaker 4: Getting the evil Eye. But I love that.
Speaker 6: I love Jim Carey when I was growing up, and he was so hilarious and Ace Ventura was one of the best characters ever.
Speaker 4: And I don't really watch that many comedies, but for some reason, Jim Carrey was just the ultimate nor Saw the nineties.
Speaker 1: I think it was the nineties quite as iconic as I expect from exactly.
Speaker 6: I didn't go romance, I didn't go nostalgic. I just went blatant comedy.
Speaker 3: Grace, what about you?
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm just going to act this up. I want to guess where this is from.
Speaker 1: Okay, Just when I thought I.
Speaker 3: Was out, they pulled me back in.
Speaker 4: I know, I know. This is The Godfather three.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, that is al Pacina in the Godfather's frame.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: I wish they'd pulled us out.
Speaker 6: Of watching that film because that was a disaster compared to the first two.
Speaker 2: Which one is Sail to My Little Friend Scarface, Yes.
Speaker 5: This one and Sophia Coppler. Yes, she wasn't very good as an a listen, let's have a listen.
Speaker 2: Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.
Speaker 5: So good.
Speaker 3: We knew it was you afraid of what a mixed bag Blockbusters Nights Together would be.
Speaker 1: Why do you love that one, Grace.
Speaker 5: Because I just I'm just hardcore. I love that kind of gangster movie, like Italian Mafioso. You know, it just goes well, it goes so well.
Speaker 4: She's very gangster.
Speaker 1: Very compliments.
Speaker 5: Have we done good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That is a nine out of ten for all three of you. And when we finished today, I'm going to make you watch Lost Boys and you were going to like Jason Patrick just as much as I did when I was Okay, right, well, that is all we have time for today. So if you've enjoyed the episode, don't spit on it would suggest share it with one of your girlfriends, Share it with one of your friends who might have loved was the Godfather?
Speaker 3: Three yeses exactly or not?
Speaker 2: It's just DMUs And if you can follow us, go to Spotify or Apple and hit the plus button. And that means that we appear in your feed every Tuesday.
Speaker 3: How good is that?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: And if you want to reach out to us, we do read all your dms at Unleashed dot show on Instagram. And if we ask you to record your message as a voice note, please do. When you might appear in the show, well, we'll be back next Tuesday, or like we like to say, ladies, see Tuesday until next time. Stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay unleashed.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: If you've ever walked into a room and forgotten why you were there, woken up at three am for absolutely no reason, or suddenly thought, hang on, is this my personality now or is it hormones?
Speaker 3: This is for you. Very Parry on Demand is here.
Speaker 2: This is Mumma MIA's Perimenopause series built especially for you. I've joined forces with Holly Wainwright Lee Campbell and our very own doctor Ginny Mansburg and twenty five Australia's leading women's health experts to talk everything menopause, brain fog, weight gain, sleep, rage, changing periods, HRT, libido, mood. There are more than twenty sessions, all completely on demand and bingeable, so you can watch them in your own home, in your own trackies with a cup of tea. Head to the link in our show notes now to get access for just fifty nine dollars. That's forty percent off, but only for a limited time. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on