Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by PayPal Small business boot Camp series. These are the yeays of our lives. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore the good, bad and ugly, The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Hello, Beautiful, Yeahborhood Back with another Years of Our Lives episode with the ultimate Bringer of Yay, our increasingly regular guest and foot as many of you know her. If you haven't listened to usked gasbag Away before, there's plenty to catch up on, as well as her very own episode where you can hear her amazing story. For this episode, we thought it's been really wonderful to be able to bring some escapism and some moments of yay to everyone a little bit away from all the conversations about the pandemic and the protests and vaccinations and all the other heavy things that have been clogging up at our news feeds. But this week I thought it would be nice to actually spend some time shedding some light on the silent pandemic, which has been the struggles faced by healthcare and frontline workers, which was actually sparked by a wonderful Yahborhood member who sent a message that I will read out in this episode, so it's a little bit more serious than usual. But of course then we finish up with plenty of gags and giggles when we get to Yahborhood watch with some very uplifting stories there, and then of course recommendations, with in between a call out for some nominations or nominations from you guys, as we're doing a little neighborhood care package send out for any care or frontline workers who you think deserve it and need it most. So a really nice, warm, fuzzy ending for today's episode. Hope you guys enjoy and of course, as always excuse our very random, tangential way of thinking. We always forget that way recording, but I think that's why I've come to love these episodes so much. Welcome back to Yays of our Lives, Bin Berlina or you.
Speaker 2: Recording, use me go through your quote book scrowling to find quote in the original.
Speaker 1: We have no quote of the Yah yet, guys, for this episode, but either one will come out during the episode, along with all the other random stuff that comes out of our brains when we sit down together, or it won't be. Because this is dedicated to the frontline workers and other healthcare workers who have been over the past eighteen months to two years holding up our society in ways that anyone who doesn't have a family member or friend in one of those positions probably can't even fathom. And and has just herself come off four night shifts and she's a physio, as you guys will know because she's this is not her first time on the show, but and she tell us about your role at the moment, which isn't actually a physio role, and has been on the front line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I feel like we say four as if it's this exitive run amount, even though nurses will do like tons back to back and the doctors will do so many.
Speaker 1: But I think it's just I think for it's your first time though, yeah, it's your first ever night shifts.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, I've never pulled an all nighter, so this was exhilarating. But it's is not a thing that physios would ever have to do. But I guess that's the landscape of healthcare at the minute, or the healthcare system, is that everyone's having to chip in as much as they possibly can to make sure things are running smoothly. So yeah, the current role is not a physio related role, but obviously it's within the hospital. Essentially, with the surge of COVID patients becoming positive and more people in the community with coronavirus, there's a lot more presenting to ED.
Speaker 3: And presenting to the hospital, And.
Speaker 2: Essentially it's a rather doesn't exist or hasn't existed before, but it's to help patients get home safely and in a timely manner, with enough support and follow up at home that don't necessarily have to be admitted. So, for example, we might come to ED not feeling great, but the doctors have assessed you and feel like you're okay to be at home or you're okay to go home with a condition that enough follow up support is organized, and so we're responsible for helping to LA's with the doctors to organize that and to organize how you can get out and also troubleshoot any things that could be flagged for you at home, for example, if you've got kids at home, people are pregnant, if there's some social issues at home that we can help support, or if we flag that you might need some financial crisis payment and just provide a lot of education. So I guess it's just helping the system move a little bit more smoothly from ED to help offload the whole hospital system, but also still make sure that patient carries paramount all the kind of priority at the same time. So the new role, I'm dealing with COVID positive patients in ED every day, and it does include night shares, which is new for us as an allied health team. But it's awesome. You get an insight into what nursing life is like and so what doctor's lives are like and what the hospital looks like and as a twenty full seven service, Like the hospital doesn't close. See, people will get sick and they'll see it and they still need to come. But yeah, it's really interesting to see how it's all evolved in a pandemic and how organizations have responded and how people have responded, and it seems like everyone's really proactive and working as a team rather than just trying to.
Speaker 3: Hold themselves up and get themselves through.
Speaker 2: Like this is very much to help the nurses in ED and the beds in ED and the hospital as a whole rather than just a physio department. It's not even physia related. So I put myself like my hand up and a pretend to do it, and yeah, it's been really fun. It's been kind of I don't have to deal with COVID positive patients face to face as much yet, but this role is obviously face to face with COVID positive patients. So it's what's interesting to see how to present and what it looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for your nerdy medical brain to actually understand how things work. But it's really interesting. You're explaining to me that this really came about because there are so many people presenting to emergency who probably don't need to be admitted all the way into the hospital, particularly at a time where those beds are, you know, probably more needed than they ever have been. And this whole idea was sparked from a message from someone in the neighborhood, Shane North, who is a nurse who's working as a frontline worker in emergency. She's working at one of the three designated COVID hospitals, and it set the loveliest message just saying how Cca has been a really lovely place of escapism to just have a little bit of joy, but it's also been really isolating for frontline works because just to feel alone and to not hear from other healthcare workers and know that they're all going through the relentless work that they've been going through. And I just thought, you know, I have really tried to create a space where you don't have to think about the pandemic and you can get lost in conversations. But I also thought she was so right, it would be really nice to just dedicate an episode to reminding everyone that there are people working overnight and twenty four hours. You know, the hospitals do have to stay open and the challenges are enormous. Like even in your role, you've been wearing full ppe and like not being able to breathe while you're working, and imagining the nurses who are doing that for you know, twelve hours at a time or longer. It's just interesting to just take a minute and stop and think about what has actually been happening. Like we're all having a really hard time in lockdown, and of course it's all relative and everyone's having challenges in their own way, but you just can't imagine what people on the front line have actually been going through. So thank you so much, Shane for the message I.
Speaker 3: Think I've had.
Speaker 2: I have so much respect for nurses. I think before the pandemic, when I even ever had.
Speaker 3: To do anything with nurses as a student, even so.
Speaker 2: I was like I was always like I just could never do your job because it's so hard. But I think sometimes it's about personal care and things like that, and sometimes that's what draws people off it.
Speaker 3: But I look at how.
Speaker 2: Much nurses work and it's in like, it's insane how much they do without complaint. Just they have so much patience for us as healthcare team and also patients and their families, and they're just always on night they go through the twenty four hour cycle of night work and then morning and then afternoon shifts and not they don't They just don't complain. They just do it and they just know that they needs to get done. And I think the resilience of nurses are the probably the most inspiring out of everyone. Like nurses. You know, everyone's wearing full PP at the minute pretty much probably probably wouldn't be seeing a hospital system at the minute without full PPE just because that's that's just what it looks like at the minute. That's how we can protect ourselves to then continue to care for you and the community and people that come in. Because you know, we had the big outbreak well it wasn't massive, but it was it had a big impact.
Speaker 3: Album recently where we had about four.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty staff furlough because of a few patients that we had positive And that's pretty much why we're in full peep and out just protects us. Yeah, I just couldn't. I could never be one because what they do is just I could never do it. I don't think I have the patience or the mental willpower to continue and that's not to say that nurses mental health though the greatest at the minute. I think they're really overworked and it's really hard to find refuge at the minute. Not just for nurses, but I've spoken to my some of my friends who I see it. One's an ICU doctor and even she was saying that doctors are feeling it too, in terms of the stuff that you would normally do, like get out, go for a walk, be active, see of friends that would normally balance out life being so quite stressful, we can't do so more, feeling like it's a cumulative effect of feeling this type of compounding like inability to have a balance work and life life situation.
Speaker 3: So it's it's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really tricky, but everyone's been so good, Like you go into the hospital and everyone's so supportive of each other. Like I said in the last time I went on, when the physia department had people had to be furloughed, everyone came together and did that body system to make sure care packages were sent out and within the hospital, everyone is so supportive of each other that it's, yeah, it's a really nice environment, Like we're here as physios and ots.
Speaker 3: Dan E.
Speaker 2: D doing a very social working kind of role, and then you know, everyone's just sacrificing a bit of time here and there to help other wards out or other teams out, just to make sure that everyone is able to just take breaks or whatever it is. It's a very very big team effort at the minute. Yeah, that's where we are today.
Speaker 1: Shane actually kind of called it out as a bit of a silent pandemic in itself, just the challenges that frontline workers and healthcare workers and everyone else who's working in that environment is really facing at the moment. And I just thought it was really nice that she wanted to reach out to other people in other hospitals or in other situations to say, you're not alone. And you know, the majority of time, people do really want a break from hearing about the pandemic, but then they also do want to feel heard, and they also want to do feel like people who aren't going through the exact same thing know what they're going through. So she sent this. I asked her, once I decided we were going to do an episode on it, if she wanted to contribute anything, and I thought I'd just read out her message, which was so sweet. She just said, I'd love to reiterate how much every single one of us doing this work is there because we love doing it and we care so much for the community and people. I honestly believe healthcare workers and frontliners are all put on this earth to have our hands in there helping each other to stay afloat. I wouldn't be who I am without the lessons I've learned in this job. All we wish for in return is a little understanding, respect, and compassion for the difficulties we face, because that can go such a long way. Also, I think it's so important that regardless of what is going on, people need to know we are going to treat every single human with the same level of care and the same good intentions, no matter your walk of life, your life decisions, your views on world problems, and your history. We are there to hold your hand when you're scared and reassure you that we'll do anything in our power to keep you well. And lastly, which is relevant to what you were saying and pretty much why this new role has been created for you, please save emergencies for proper emergencies. We're drowning and burnt out and understaffed and we only have so much agility and resilience to bring to the table, and we need to give our GPS and nurse on call services the credit they deserve. They are amazing and can prevent so many presentations, which at the end of the day can save a life, allowing us to prioritize and see those who really really need it as soon as possible. So I thought that was really nice of her to just like for me to even understand what she might be feeling, and what her colleague might be feeling, and what obviously people in the neighborhood might be feeling. I thought was really nice. And I also thought, based on your buddy system that you mentioned, so being furloughed means that you everyone who was exposed had to go home right and they couldn't work on the floors anymore, and they were basically in quarantine. And Andrew's hospitals set up like a buddy system where you would all check on each other. So I actually another doctor another medical work or a doctor Dana who I've mentioned quite a few times who runs Junior Doctor's Corner, which we'll hear from next week. She ran a yighborhood gift exchange in the CZA Facebook group just to get regular neighborhood people through the pandemic by pairing up strangers to send little gifts like Chris Kringle to each other, which we just sent off all our gifts last week and it was the loveliest exchange and just community connections. So I thought maybe we could do one for any healthcare workers or nurses or doctors or anyone working in hospitals in the yighborhood.
Speaker 2: I generally think people underestimate how these small gifts really make our days, particularly a nurse. To feel appreciated by the member of the community is a really big deal. I think, like even when a patient tells me how grateful they are that I've just been with them, it really makes your day and your week, and it reminds you of why you do the job. You know, it's hard sometimes when you look into the community and people are really liberal with how they take some of the restrictions, which.
Speaker 3: Is I get it. It's really hard. Like even me, I'm finding it hard.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got a bit of lockdown fatigue, and you know, people are protesting, and they're protesting for things they're really passionate about. And yeah, it's really hard to watch sometimes because you know that these things are just going to present or it's going to have adverse effects. But at the same time, we don't discriminate on who we treat, the job that we sign up on, the job that we agree to do in the trouble that we're passionate if the ab is to treat everyone that walks through that door with the same amount of patientcentive care and respect and passion, and that we would anyone despite why you've come in and how you've come in. So it's just hard to watch sometimes knowing that we're working really really hard around the clock to keep ourselves protected and also like our family is protected because obviously working with COVID positive patients, you're thinking about the implication of the family or the people that you live with, your friends, if you were to contract it through work, through having to work face to face with these people. And that's why there's so much PP is to protect us as much as possible to then protect our.
Speaker 3: Families and things like that as well. Yeah, we don't discriminate and who who treat when we walk through the door.
Speaker 2: So sometimes it's hard to watch a doctor I know have said has said the same thing. I think the reflection is pretty common throughout the whole of the healthcare system is that everyone's it's a little bit frustrating sometimes when you see big masses of people kind of flaunting rules because they can or because they feel like they can without realizing the effects that they have on the hospital system, and others.
Speaker 3: Kind of that are just trying really hard to keep it at day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think support from the community goes much further than people think that it does. Even just a simple message to say thanks is really it leads a really lasting impact because you can say thanks to each other within the healthcare system and that's really great. But to hear it from the outside, hear from the community, just it holds differently. Just you finally feel i think, appreciated by people that aren't in the job, which makes it even more special. So yeah, I think the gift idea is really really cute. Like we actually have your quote book in now gen Med office in the physia department.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a city. I'll take you. I'll take a photo of it.
Speaker 1: Andron sees the a ambassador Number one. We should get a commission on all the flipbooks later.
Speaker 3: All the.
Speaker 1: Commission of.
Speaker 3: Doing it that way.
Speaker 2: It's such a token of appreciation, but it's just like such a.
Speaker 3: Nice lit of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I would love to send some of them out, Like I was thinking that, you know, maybe anyone who's listening who has who is a healthcare worker, or who has someone in their family. One of the things that sometimes is difficult is like pairing people who really want to help or who want to put it together, like Dana was saying, put together a little care package, but they don't know who to send it to or and like you can't send on mass. Like it's really lovely when people nominate people who they know are having a really hard time, who would never ask, and who it's not about like getting stuff, it's just who would love the gesture of like something nice or someone reaching out just to care for them. And I think if anyone's listening, and you can think of anyone who you know who's really been doing it tough, who could use a little quote book or a face mask or you know, We've been putting together gift packs for ages and I haven't sent one out in a while, So I'd love to send some out to targeted people who have lovely stories. So just send us a d M or an email or put it in the Facebook group with your nominations, because I'd love to send out.
Speaker 2: Would be really cute. And what you could also do is you could write a really big card. And I think what you should also do is give them a hundred dollars each and maybe.
Speaker 1: A car, yes, and maybe a vehicle. I think so too.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, guys, guys, don't you worry.
Speaker 1: Did you also say nominations, because if you did, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I did it, But let's pretend that I did.
Speaker 1: I totally heard nominations.
Speaker 3: Because photoshops a thing, isn't it. You can photoshop this.
Speaker 1: I can photoshop your entire Yeah, I can deep fake this whole episode. Guys, Andrew's even here. You're just me talking to myself with an filter. Another neighborhood watch at that I spotted while I was thinking about this issue a lot more, and I think it was live Olivia Molly Rodgers, who's also a past CSI I guest, who was in our first live show, and it's just such an amazing woman and has since announced the release of her book, which I'll talk all about later, but I think Live shared this page Nurse Moroan, who's created this movement. It's a hashtag voice for Victorian Nurses. And I've only just started following her because I only saw the post a couple of days ago. That she's also been very passionately like singing the cause and being a voice for all the nurses who haven't really got a voice or who haven't been being seen or heard by everyone in the community. So go and have a look at her page. I'll share a link to her page in the show. Note she's fascinating it herself. She's a mental health advocate but has also had a prophilectic mystectomy. Like, she's got a really interesting story as well. Wow, yeah, as well as a very informative like it's look, it's really bright and colorful, and it's really because if you can see it, she's a pixel, so just look for a pixel out in the community. But she's really been amplifying nurses voices as well, and she shared a couple of articles from the media as well about it. So I think that's a really great educational platform, and I'm sure there's so many more. So anyone share them and I'll reshare them on the c z A page. I think it is really important to shout out the heroes of the of the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could give some anonymous gifts to some of the voice for verses posts.
Speaker 1: Some of the nurse voices for nurses voices. I think you said voice for voice, like who's voices voice for nurses for voices for voices? You mean like a choir voice voice nurse voice. Also, this is the way our brains work. So we're having a serious conversation about yeah, the frontline workers. And I named this chat and only if you've listened to our past couple of episodes we understand this. I named this conversation Bimbi fooded and AND's name she named herself in the conversation. I still couldn't move. I only just noticed it.
Speaker 3: Then, this is so ongoing. It's never going to get old.
Speaker 1: It's just never not funny. But no one even do you know what though, I got a couple of messages last time from people who were like, who have started Japanese and understood why it was just so hilarious to us. I was like, yes, someone gets.
Speaker 2: You know, if anyone's wanting katakana lessons on offering my services.
Speaker 1: I've got a creative agency, Voice for Voices, Voice Voice Voice. Follow my page at Voice Nurse, Voice Voice Nurse, Nurse Score Nurse because I wasn't the first one, so I have to have an underscore.
Speaker 2: The What I was trying to say was you should go through the hashtag nurse Voice Voice nurse and see and then some anomous.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea. You know the hashtag you can you.
Speaker 3: Can shout them out in some episodes.
Speaker 1: I think, oh wait, hold on, let's do it right now. Yeah, okay, okay, but what is the actual hashtag? This is your boy Voice Voice Nurse Nurse is a voice for nurses Voices? Is that actually what it is? I've just written boy Voice Nurse Nurse.
Speaker 3: Page.
Speaker 1: I've got California. Okay, that's not the right one.
Speaker 3: You're meant to be the well researched person.
Speaker 1: But you just told me the hashtag is voice Nurse Voice Voice Nurse, Voice for Noises.
Speaker 3: And it's all fart noises.
Speaker 1: You are all fart noises Voice for h There we go. Wait. Voice for Nurses has only got one hundred and five posts. I don't think that's the right one.
Speaker 3: You're the one that brought this up.
Speaker 1: No, you, This recording is proof that you just rot this. You just said you should. We'll figure what is the hashtag? Well, I don't know. This is your story?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, let's just backtrack about five minutes. You said, literally Rogers shared an amazing page.
Speaker 3: From a lady.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a that's an account then that I share? Okay, yeah, sorry, I get it now.
Speaker 3: This is literally our friendship.
Speaker 1: Boys four Victorian Nurses.
Speaker 2: I thought it was voice voice nurse nurse Victorian.
Speaker 1: Nurse voice noisee. Also, I got too keen to start this episode and just totally miss the fact that the main neighborhood watch very exciting event is that the Demons broke their fifty seven year drought and it was the most exciting Grand Final that I've watched in a really long time. What a game.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I was and was on her night shift and we were texting, like basically facetarving her the screen so she could keep ry, and she was already like.
Speaker 2: There for a ten hour work a night shift, and I decided that I'd get there two hours earlier, so I was there for way longer than I need to be so that I could watch it in the.
Speaker 3: Foyer of the waiting room when nobody was and.
Speaker 2: It was so close into halftime, and I was like, this is gonna be a great game. And then I went up to do handover for like five minutes and Sarah's like the robbers sixty seven points or what it was, Oh my god, the hell?
Speaker 3: But it was like I wanted the.
Speaker 2: Close game, but I wanted so much on Melbourne to win, just because it was such a I think you lock down, it's been you know, not it's hard, but it's been that would probably.
Speaker 3: Would rejoice so many people just like this, Yeah, even to non nmal supporters. I think it's just been such a good vibe, such a wholesome time.
Speaker 1: And it was so good that similar to the Olympics, like it's not the Grand Final that everyone wanted or that, you know, obviously not at the MCG is not the same. And my brother, what I mean, you know, I've seen him burst into tears maybe three times, and one was when we realized that we were enough goals up at three quarter time or in the fourth quarter. Sorry that it was like they couldn't come back, and he just lost it, like balling his eyes out, so thinking about people like him who have been following even through the really hard times when we were just at the bottom of the ladder, which was like only two years ago. So you know, knowing that he couldn't go and watch it, I think was really sad. But the fact that they went ahead and still did it and like gave that to everyone in lockdown. It was just like and Gorney's speech when he was talking about Neil Danaher and even like Troy Broadbridge and Jim Stein's and I shared a photo someone drove up to Dublin Hills and laid the demon scarf from his when he was playing the year that Jim Steins was playing and put it on his headstone for the Grand Final. And there's this really beautiful picture of it. Oh, so many feelings. It was so beautiful.
Speaker 3: You'd love this.
Speaker 2: Like as much as the hospital is obviously, you know, a pretty intense time at the minute ppe.
Speaker 3: Everyone looks like they're in apocalypse.
Speaker 2: People just remained so positive, like it's just great, Like you know, the physio office was still buzzing that it was Grand Final week and you know, celebrating the scars around and even you'd love this. The meals Team four Grand Final Day made like a meal wheels like meat pies, but that was like and they had like adaptable versions for people with obviously swallowing and learning different textures and things like that, but they still celebrated and everyone.
Speaker 3: Had like I think it was.
Speaker 2: I think they did pies and then it did I think they did confies or something like that, but they did something really grand final and related, so people could really yeah, like so the patients they could still feel the sense of like action with things going and happening. I think that's been one of the awesome things is that we like the hospital hasn't tried to close the patients from everything else happened in the world. Like for Father's Day, they gave like Father's Day theme like cookies or something like that, but they just try to keep it still fun and somewhat festive and in a you know, not the greatest time, especially when your hospital. The hospitals already a scary place to come because it means that you're not well, so like to still have a sense of happiness and excitement and celebration is a really I think that people probably don't think what I'm still doing and probably think it's a really more good place to go. And it's just like stress stress, stress stress everywhere, but it's still a really a positive and celebratory place. It's really cute to also see it all the way that people are working to try to make it still festive, like these meals.
Speaker 3: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: I love that they did pies. That's the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so cute. Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: So cute? I think like people laugh about when people say like AFL is such a connector and like you know, like it's such a it's a cause for uniting over humanity, but sport is it is such a connector, like the whole nation, except for obviously the rugby like rugby focused states, but even them, I think everyone was like so they pause. I mean, there's a bloody public holiday for the Grand final, like just brought so many people joy to just see. Yeah. I just loved it, loved it so much. It was so happy. I like to see my brother crying, Oh my god, he literally he was you know what he's like when he cries. He doesn't like there's not just like a straight tear. It's like he either shows no emotion for ten years or it's like shoulders shaking, like we didn't deserve it so much. Oh my god, I was like, oh, what do I do? He's such a good boy.
Speaker 2: We didn't finish our Voice for Victorian Nurses initiative at the minute.
Speaker 1: I think we should do anonymous.
Speaker 3: Yes there's any.
Speaker 2: Posts of it like that particular particular I think actually people probably have used it but there on private.
Speaker 3: But perhaps we can just you can just keep.
Speaker 2: Checking that and then shout out some nurses that are using that and or get people to send in some nominations for gives.
Speaker 3: He has a really cute idea, and that way you can.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I don't feel that's forgotten because you know, like last week and it was stressful. We weren't a little told not to go out in uniform in fear of being attacked because there was so much like violence out there and so much anks towards the healthcare system that it was dangerous for us to go out in uniform. You don't ever go into healthcare thinking like, yeah, I'm going to be respected because I help people. You don't go and be like, respect me, but you're going being like, oh, surely you'd never be a hated.
Speaker 3: Part of society.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, it's like, don't be uniform because you might be attacked. Is this Like you're just like, what is what is happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: People are you can't fathom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But at the same time, it's really hard to be angry at people other people for that because everyone's fighting there in adult here. Everyone's got something that they're really fighting for and passionate about, and it's just such strange times that you kind of have to be really contextual and really compassionate and really like it's sympathetic as much as you possibly can, even though you probably in your mind know that it's probably wasn't the smartest idea, or you know, it's for you personally. It's hard to understand why people are doing these things. But yeah, everyone's i think, got a lot of built up anger and frustration. And you know, we see people that come in and like, for example, there could be a positive COVID patient, but a single dad who works in.
Speaker 3: The construction industry with three kids at home.
Speaker 2: You know, there's stories like that, so you kind of understand why it gets hard for some people. And it's hard to understand other people's industries and under the people's lifestyles without really being in it. So yeah, it doesn't really, it doesn't excuse behavior that is attacking to people, to innocent people, but we can't really devalue other people's feelings and the things that they're going through as well, because it is we're done for everyone as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not just the only thing.
Speaker 2: I wanted to point out is that the frontline workers are so many people, Like the clerical stuff that help the system and the hospitals run. There was so much PP now, the clinical assistance, the theater technicians like they're helping getting patients out. There's so many people that are involved behind scenes together the wheels turning and everything safe and running.
Speaker 3: That I think it's nice to shout out the people that.
Speaker 2: Aren't necessarily normally thought about or recognized as frontline workers, for example, without the amazing clinical assistance and the staff, like we're in constant rotation of being to don and dof PPE and it needs to be discarded in the appropriate way, and no waste spins and things like that. So this is constant cycle of us stuffing and having to go somewhere and then we dof lee but then forget about it. And like some that's someone else's job, but their job is as equally as important as as ours or anyone else's is, because without them, it's not happening.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so many people involved behind.
Speaker 2: The scenes, that not just the ones that we know about in terms of prenounces and doctors and you know, Allied health. There's so many amazing people having the scenes, even the people in the kitchens making the food for the patients, making sure everyone's safe. We have PPE spotters where it's literally people designated to what you put.
Speaker 3: On PPE to make sure that it's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can actually like you can at times page a PPE spotter to come and watch you done and doff. So make sure that you are going in there completely like sealed, and then coming out taking it because there's a you have to done and doff in a like a real particular way take like take off.
Speaker 3: What did I say piphany again? So much?
Speaker 1: Did you have one piphanyf I've never heard that before. Is that the opposite of donning? And oh my god, how weird is it when a particular situation arises in society where we all just learned this like random word that we never knew was a thing. Like we all know don your clothes, but doff what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a word. I think we say it so much. I was like so mean to realize it. Obviously it's not you say, I don't.
Speaker 1: Just doff your jacket when you run inside? Please? Yeah, like choose you know you just in my face? Obviously, I'm so glad no one can say my face. But Andre's like having this really serious reflection and I'm just like, did you just say dof?
Speaker 3: You were like that meme of.
Speaker 2: That guy who's like holding his lips together but his cheeks are like about to burst because he's trying to hold in.
Speaker 1: The Harry Potter one where it's like when Draco says Potter Potter.
Speaker 2: Random roll is coming up of just people having to do things to cover the ins and make sure everyone's safe.
Speaker 3: Like whood's not your job. You'd like as a physio, you'd be ppe spotting, like watching people put on and off Ppe.
Speaker 2: But it's a really important role because like if you're not wearing it properly, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really keep it very safe.
Speaker 2: And then there's also people in the check in at the front of the hospital making sure that people are checking in when they're in and when we're going out, and temperature checking, and yeah, there's just so many people involved in I guess the front line that people don't think of normally. So I think it's a really big shout out for people that are doing that as well. If you're out there and listening, and thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much well guys for your nominations. It definitely doesn't have to just be a nurse or a doctor. It can definitely be anyone who's working in hospitals and who has been having a hard time. So please make sure that if you're listening and you can think of anyone, I would really love to send out some little care packages. So do let us know through the very many different ways you can send me a message and I'll make sure to send those out because that would be such a lovely thing to do. I don't know about you, guys, but I get such a rush of motivation and energy to keep learning and upskilling when I hear from our guests each week if you're feeling the same, I am so thrilled to share that I'm hosting a free small business boot camp series presented by our partner in Ya PayPal, putting some incredible guests, connections, and targeted tools at your disposal from the comfort of your own home. There are three webinars in the series so far, optimizing your online strategy for sales, which we've already had, but it is online for you to go back and catch up. It blew me out of the water. I took so much away from our panelists, so make sure you go and have a watch social Media strategy for small Businesses, the topic we all want to know about. And thirdly by now Pay Later, exploring the future of payments pop September twenty third and October twenty first for those remaining two in your calendars, and have included the link to register in the show notes. One giant silver lining of the past year or so has been getting access to some of the cleverest minds and their wisdom without having to go anywhere, So don't miss the chance to take advantage while you can hopefully see you their yighborhood bim before we finish up. Because people generally come here for the random banter you and I. Have you seen anything else nice in the neighborhood on Yighborhood Watch or do you have any recommendations for the week, because I also all need a little bit of escapism this Oh my god, you've done it homework eska yapism, I.
Speaker 2: Have four select if you're in with your ya.
Speaker 1: Not with everything I say to you.
Speaker 3: Bless yang together.
Speaker 1: I'm so like, I just try, though, It's like, why do I keep trying? It's so bad?
Speaker 3: But what you do is you do it and then you goim, did you hear that?
Speaker 1: Did you hear that? Do you get it? I put ya in there? Did you get it? You get your seat again?
Speaker 3: But your yeah, it's so obvious. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're It just rolls off the.
Speaker 2: It just rolls off the time. Okay, So I said this, I've been following. I'm just trying to find it on TikTok okay. Sorry, her name is Emily Zugay like spot.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, right, I'm getting TikTok open Emily.
Speaker 3: Z Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I said this, and Nick in hysterics being like you need to watch it, like you cannot give me a hat hat pretending that you've watched it without watching out, so you need to watch this. Even screen recorded me watching it so he didn't have to open the link so that he would watch it right anyway, So she has done this.
Speaker 3: Thing where I been watched like the fourth video No.
Speaker 2: One, one, two, three, four five video with like the Adobe thing.
Speaker 1: So she yeah, that's go on, let me watch it.
Speaker 3: I thought needed help after going through the comments.
Speaker 4: A lot of large brands reached out to me for a new logo, so I said, yes, I couldn't get to all of them, but I guess I'd be willing to make another video if you guys want to see those without further ado. Here's some of my redesigns. First, we're starting with Nascar. I don't like this whole tilt that's going on, and these lines are all very inconsistent. I just think overall, it's a really bad logo. This is my redesign. I wanted to make it look like the words were flying through the air at a very fast speed. Overall is just more sophisticated as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she does.
Speaker 2: These mockery like she's like, I'm a pasteliographic designer and I find it and you think this is gonna be this amazing redesign and it's like made on paint, Like she's just such a mockery, but she doesn't. So the funniest part of this bit if you look into the comments, right, look.
Speaker 1: Into the comment I tell if she's serious or not.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, look into the.
Speaker 2: Comments and the big brands that she changed or changed their profiles of the logos that they made for her, Like look at Amazon. Amazon changed it to Amazon with a box because she designed.
Speaker 1: It that way, and like all these.
Speaker 2: Big brands, and like Detroit Lions have lines like they printed it on T shirts and put it and wore it on the game. Tam PACs like fully changed their profile photo and there's like her head in it of.
Speaker 1: Her God has got her face. McDon champion, help we need a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you look at McDonald's on that one that with the Adobe profile photo, you're gonna comments McDonald's. Her redesign was like, I don't understand why the M is emphasized, So I emphasized that. Oh so the McDonald's listen, Oh you can't.
Speaker 1: I don't say I can see it's like McDon.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, but it's just ongoing.
Speaker 2: So she did like one two, like four or five videos of it with a bunch of brands, and Washington Post changed it. Amazon changed it, but it went like they just went the next level. So Amazon recently sent her a package with the new branding that she made, and it's also she s got Amazon, Ama, S and so with a little box underneath it, because she's like, I figured they worked with boxes, so this is a square.
Speaker 1: The Jonah's brothers just said, can we can you do one for ours?
Speaker 3: Someone legit so like.
Speaker 2: But they've actually gone the next step these brands. I think it's a really smart marketing move and changed it knowing it's this big trend. And if you look at the most recent posts, it's the Detroit Lions printing her merch and inviting her and she had created these lines and called it Detroit Lions. Anyway, I have just been in hysterics following the whole thing of how it's all evolved and what brands are doing about it. So Amazon sent her a package with Amazon Amazon the new branding on tape. They gave her a gift card with the new logo.
Speaker 1: On it her Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Amazon Tiblet, Like it just was. It's just like it was so honestly, like it just when.
Speaker 1: Brands do that, they did throw out all the rules of like being too serious and taking everything too seriously, and like when NAB changed their thing to jab, I was like so clever, like so clever serious though, like does she is she is she taking the piece or is she actually taking because she looks so serious.
Speaker 2: It's like it's funny because like she's done other videos as well where it's like all apparody. She's like, let me, I'm a really passionate cooker. Let me show you how to make ice. First, fill up three cps of water and it's cps because you know on those measuring cups the letters rub off.
Speaker 3: And it just had was like go up to the line.
Speaker 2: That's just three cps, pour it into a blender, blend your water should be this consistency, blend your.
Speaker 3: Like how to make ice.
Speaker 2: So I was watching she's just she's really good comedy. She's just done really really well. So I highly highly recommend going through all of her previous posts because it's just really funny. Like if you need a laugh. I've been laughing at this account for the last week or two. It's just and following this.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Can I just quickly add one in? Also, this one's just related to this one, to her one, but more serious. So a kid in Tennessee. I don't know where I saw this, but a kid in Tennessee got made fun of. So he homemade a University of Tennessee T shirt. Like he drew a little drawing and he got really bullied for it. And because it's like, you know, a really diy home version of the T shirt. And when they found out that he got bullied about it, they made the T shirt their official T shirt. The whole band wore the shirt. Sixteen thousand shirts was sold, and the university he gave him a free four year scholarship.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 1: So like the lovely version of him redesigning the logo.
Speaker 2: Look, oh my gosh, I need to start redesigning things so I can get four yours.
Speaker 1: So the seas the logo is going to be, like.
Speaker 3: I said, it's really small javo, really.
Speaker 1: Tiny, big value big.
Speaker 3: Or in order that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's your other one?
Speaker 2: My other one is like a feel good account that I have. I don't generally follow YouTube pages like religiously because I am actually a YouTuber myself as my beauty blog as you would know, I'm actually currently.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, can we just give you a shout out like comment, subscribe and just beauty channel.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: My beauty blog has really taken a hit in this coronavirus time, so my followers have gone down three hundred percent from three to zero, so it's really tough.
Speaker 1: Actually, you haven't done a toothpaste video since my wedding.
Speaker 2: I know, but I feel like a little bit I'm betraying. I feel like a little bit of a if I could say it's not g but brand whole with my toothbrush branding, because I've used two different.
Speaker 3: Brands now and I feel like one way really.
Speaker 1: It'll tip them over. You're not loyal.
Speaker 2: No, I'm speaking to my solicitor today though, just to say, but I can.
Speaker 3: See what I can do about the contracts.
Speaker 2: AnyWho, Squirmy and Grubs is their name, so you know me, I love love. But you can also look up Shane Burkle on Instagram Shane Burkele b u are c a w W four.
Speaker 1: Wally Oh Kid squaremy and grubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, So they're an interabled couple and I love everything about it. They are like, so he's got SMA, which is spinal muscular atrophy. I think that's what stands for now, damn it. It presentially as atrophy of his muscles, and they just continue to like atrophy is kind of like when it breaks down, he just will continually get weaker pretty much for the rest of his life.
Speaker 3: So he's in a wheelchair. It's an electric wheelchair.
Speaker 2: He has a lot of contractions all around his body, so his kneeza and his hips are very much always bent. But he's I think there's misunderstanding that he's he is disabled, but misunderstanding that he can't do things for himself and be independent and be very much cognitively intact and really smart and really funny and do the things.
Speaker 3: That we do, you know.
Speaker 2: So I just love the fact that two people with such different abilities, Like she's fully able to swimmer.
Speaker 3: Like really clever, really beautiful. He's in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: And they've just recently got married, and it is like the most beautiful relationship because it's just that the whole thing of like non discriminatory unconditional love despite what you are, what you look like, and like I've loved following them because their video is, like he's hilarious.
Speaker 3: He is so witty, like he's like he works and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like he works, he writes he's done his help with the script on a new TV show in the US, Like he's really successful. He's amazing. But their relationship I think defies.
Speaker 3: A lot of social norms and I was.
Speaker 2: Just really refreshing to see just love at its rawest without like you know, other things involved, without other I think she had some backlash. She people thought she had ulterior motive to be with him because people couldn't understand why you would be with someone disabled. But I think it's really completely fair and completely I guess rude to judge about or even say it will think like it's just yeah, I'm a sucker for love, and I love that they have this beautiful relationship, stronger than anyone that I've ever seen, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Like except you and I obviously I'm so supportive, but.
Speaker 2: I'm just like you, this is amazing, Like I have just so much respect.
Speaker 3: For both of you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're living at their best lives. They are like just killing it hilarious. They do a lot of public speaking, but they also really both of them are really intelligent. But it is so nice to see I would highly reckom just following them and seeing what like unconditional They've.
Speaker 1: Got a charity as well, laughing at my nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's Shane's charity. But if you watch over the videos, they're just so frank about everything, Like Shane will be like, oh yeah, a little disabled boy like, so one one of their captions was beautiful woman leaves her disabled boyfriend in the street, like and you can tell it's Shane that because it's just.
Speaker 3: So like frank about it all and it's just funny. But it gave really a good, nice.
Speaker 2: Insight into how we treat and talk about people with disability. So as much as it's a really great challenge to watch for laughter, I would laugh at every time I watch any of them, you learn a lot about how there's a lot of disadvantage or unfair treatment of people with disability in terms of how we can I'm like, subconsciously, I guess say and do things that yeah, without second thought, that actually have a negative impact on people with disability, like for example, I.
Speaker 1: And have like pre judgments about exactly what we can come to you.
Speaker 2: But like, for example, I used to think that the word disabled was like I felt uncomfortable saying because it felt like somewhat aggressive in a way, like you just it sounded like condescending. But through them, I learned that disabled you trying to use other.
Speaker 3: Words to try to is worse.
Speaker 2: Cush, the blow of disabled makes it worse because then you're like making this disability or negative thing. Yeah, I'm trying to find more positive ways to say disabled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they just you just say disabled.
Speaker 2: Things like accessibility as well, Like they were saying people need a bb list their houses and say it's accessible and there's photos of.
Speaker 3: Like sixteen steps to get in and like how they're going to get in.
Speaker 2: So it says like a lot of learning, but it's a really wholesome happy like I've been watched a lot before bed So yeah, there are my two recommendations, and don't like you won't regret it.
Speaker 3: Trust me.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so excited. Oh well, there goes the rest of my day. Thanks so much, BAM. And also we have had like multiple we've had multiple requests for you to be a regular in this segment. So if anyone is listening and would like to second or third that I said to her the other day. I was like, the people have spoken, they want you back, and she was like any and then I showed her the message. So I think you all need to peer pressure and into coming onto this Allies segment more regularly.
Speaker 3: Just say I believe you.
Speaker 2: I full believe that you've created this fake account just to be.
Speaker 1: Like photoshopped it, and I would get high and come back because it makes a great conversation.
Speaker 3: Because it feels like we're just the cow chatting like we know we do.
Speaker 2: So it's always fun and more than Also, I just realized it's almost your second anniversary.
Speaker 1: Third third, I know, I know, I know. See last year doesn't count for anybody. Three years? What what?
Speaker 3: Three years? Just like the amenities, I am old.
Speaker 1: I know you're basically feeders pretty much.
Speaker 2: I got on Facebook Memories notification this morning. But this time last year, this time two years ago.
Speaker 1: We were doing no things. Okay, no, we.
Speaker 3: Were on your Hans weekend. Really remember when their stripper came?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Richard Branson. Yeah, we literally we were so so there was no stripping.
Speaker 2: It was like the most like, you know, non non g thing we did was watch fifty Shades were.
Speaker 1: Great, and only I was watching it and everyone else like ill gross, and I was like, I love Jamie Dawner laughing.
Speaker 3: It became a comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah for you. Maybe I was like, in a parallel universe, that's my other husband.
Speaker 2: We were like, everyone's like, has these rowdy hens weekends and we were like yeah, like on paper, it sounded like it could have been already like booked a place near the beach, like girls.
Speaker 3: Only and all this stuff, like we made T shirts.
Speaker 1: All the T shirts was so cute. Yeah, and that's why Richard. Sir Richard organized strippers on not strippers, but he made his staff dance on the table for me in Necker because he was like, did you really not have strippers? I was like, I can't even explain how tame it was, like like my design. And he was like no, no, no, no, you can't get married like that.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine me a minor at a strip party?
Speaker 1: Can you can? I like, if I gave you a penis straw and put you in the desert with a bottle of water. You would you would have dehydration and you would not drink it like you just freak out, you'd be looking at like it. Well, that's for another episode being we can we can on that next week. Thanks so much for waiting for you, my thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: M m m hmmm mm hmm