Speaker 1: This episode of CZA is brought to you by Stan and their exclusive new series Everything I Know About Love, based on the best selling memoir by Dolly Alderton. If you love the bowl type an younger, then this series is for you, streaming now only on Stan.
Speaker 2: You do fear of oh shit, if I step out of this, someone else can take my spot. So if I step out of this, I'm not going to be able to come back and catch up. And it's just proven the pull in that if you do do it, and you do take that time off, and you do try and explore and expand, great things can come from that. Just go for it, give it a go, and it doesn't work out, you've learnt something from it, and go back again if you and try harder next time, or use those mistakes as positives to learn and just and give it go.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the C's the YA Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing we work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found live say adore the good, bad, and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Lovely Neighborhood. I doubt there are many of you listening who haven't drawled once or twice over Chris Hemsworth's body before. I mean, you're only human, right, Well, you may not have realized though you were actually drawling over our guest for this week, yep. I am thrilled to have Chris's legendary body double and professional stuntman, Bobby Holland Hanton on the show this week. Bobby has worked on many major Hollywood blockbuster films including Thor, The Avengers, Batman, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Mission Impossible, Star Wars, What Hasn't.
Speaker 2: He Been In?
Speaker 1: As well as hit TV show Game of Thrones, earning him our host of awards, including eight Screen Actors Guild Awards and two Emmys. You know, I love having all sorts of pathways on the show, and we all see stunt doubles all the time, but I've never actually thought about how you become one, So this chat was an absolute blast. It kind of makes sense that Bobby's beginnings were in gymnastics, starting as young as four, and then building up to becoming a gold medallist for Great Britain and competing all around the world, a career interesting and multifaceted in itself that you'll hear all about. Plus, Bobby isn't just a pretty face slush body. He's also just this week released his first ever children's picture book, The Adventures of Eddie and Flip Boy. He'll tell you more about that exciting launch himself. So I am so excited to introduce this week Bobby Holland handon, Bobby Dazzler. I feel like that's your name in my brain. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. It kind of is my name now, it's been It's been my nickname for a very long time, so I think everyone knows me as that for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Actually? Funny enough, really weird story. I was nineteen years old. I was actually doing a pantomime in Southampton, local to where I'm from, and I was playing an acrobat in this pantomime and there was a sipe staff from our huge show in UK Extenders. We got together and it was kind of in the paper in the press, and they called me the Bobby Dazlar and it's just stuck since I was nineteen, So yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 1: I love it because you just dazzle everyone.
Speaker 2: I'll take that for sure, that we can take. We can go with that. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Well, you might know already that a part of this show is going back to those sort of early days in Southampton. And you know, if people meet you right now in your life, it's really easy to assume you always knew where you were going and that this was always your goal and it was a smooth sailing, and you know, ninety nine percent of the time it's not there. But before we get into that, I'd love to ask our little icebreaker, which is just what the most down to worth thing is about you. And I think because most people we do know you as Bobby Dazzler and see you in movies and in Hollywood and doing all these incredible things. It's hard to remember there's just a dude, you know, behind the scenes. So what's something really normal about you?
Speaker 2: I think, if I'm honest, it's I'm just one big kid, and I really I shouldn't. I'm a big kid adults body, and I've got no intentions of growing up. I know I have to at some point, no intentions doing it right now. I love having fun. I love pranking my family, friends and just just messing about. I probably mess about too much. I would have to cob at some point.
Speaker 1: I think there is absolutely no such thing. If you ever met my husband, you guys would get along like a house on fire. He spent half of the wedding last night throwing ice cubes and little limes in everyone else's class. It was a great time. Yeah, he's really really that sounds.
Speaker 2: Exactly what my type of guy that is. That's what I'll be doing as well.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, well, you've definitely ended up in a path yay as we call them. That very much suits that kind of exciting, dynamic side of you. But can you take us back to your earlier self, Like, what were you like as a kid you know, what were your first jobs or first kind of ideas of what you wanted to be. I know you started in a very different industry, which is so cool, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jim, I think as a kid, I mean, my mom's happy to say this, one of those kids had so much energy that it was I just didn't know how to use it. So in some ways it I ended up being naughty because I just had so much energy to trying it rid of. And my sister, it's three years older than me, and she started gymnastics when she was seven and I was four, and my mum was like, look, we've got to try something and get trying to dispurse some of this energy. So I started gymnastics at a very young age and it became very intensive, very quickly, you know. And then fast forward to seventeen. At that point I was comparing for Great Britain and I've been doing gymnastics since I was four to seventeen, and it was five six days a week, most of the time between three and five hours a day. So I still, even during that period, had way too much energy. And I was training that much and I played a bit of football as well, so if I didn't do gymnastics. I'd hate to say where I'd be right now because I had too much energy, way too much.
Speaker 1: I love how you were, Like I did a bit of football. You were like semi professional for Fareham Town Football Club, like actually playing in a league. Just just a little bit of football in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was in like a short period of time. But I really put that down to my body of work as a gymnast from such a young age. It just put me in great stead. When I gave up, you know, everything that came a little bit easier because of that. I was very fast, and I think, you know, i'd recommend gymnastics to any child for a base for anything, even if you don't want to take it to the highest level. If you can get to a good standard, it will literally put you in great stead for any sport you want to do after that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I was a ballerina when I was younger and did that up until I was about fifteen or maybe fourteen. Same thing like doing okay, yeah, yeah, like that whole Like you start when you're three and you're like, alli's a bit of fun and a good way to get rid of some energy, and you know, calm, I kind of borderline ADHD and then you get to like, you know, it becomes a professional pathway really quickly. But it teaches you so much discipline and how to manage yourself and how to set goals, and you know, it's that formative stuff that even if you don't go on to do it later, it kind of stays with you for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly, and that's when we're moving on to this in a minute with a book. But that's exactly what it does. Do it regardless of keeping you fit, and you know, it gives you that very early on, you know how to work hard, the work ethic, the discipline. If you want to achieve something, you have to work your ass off to achieve it. And you want to be the best, you need to do more than most. And I think that's you know, it's very important for like you said, life skills and you know, moving on to anything you do, you know that you've already had that as a young age and it's kind of embedded in you. That's exactly how I feel, exactly what's happened to me.
Speaker 1: It's also really interesting that you know you're retired from your first career, at seventeen. That's kind of most people haven't even started their first job by seventeen, and you already had an entire career and then retired and had to kind of, you know, let go of that identity and find a new one, which is really jarring and something that most people aren't maybe brave enough to do at all in their life, let alone so young. And then you know multiple times, So what was that, Like what made you decide that you were going to change direction? I kind of imagine being seventeen and just deciding, like, I've competed for my country, but I'm going to shift my focus. And you know, you were performing you mentioned pantomimes. I know that you were doing stunts, like starting to kind of do stunts and a bit of modeling. So how did you shift that goalpost at such a young age.
Speaker 2: It actually wasn't in my foresight of what was going to happen. It was kind of within a six month period. It was a very small gymnast until I hit about between fourteen fifteen and had a huge growth spurt and you know, within an eighteen month period, which most successful gymnasts are small and I want to more until that growth spart It put a lot of stress on my lower back. And then I had a Russian coach that left and went to America, so I, you know, I lost my Russian coach, I had a back injury, and I got to tour. It was like literally three major major things that you do not want to happen to you as a gymnast, and they happened in quick succession. So it was a decision that needed to be made, you know, and I wanted to turn my attention to football. You know. I've always always loved it, always enjoyed it, you know, but it was just had no time because the Gramatics took that time up so much, didn't allow me to play football. So it was really tough. And at seventeen years old, you were kind of at that age where you're, you know, just finishing school and you're meeting girls and you're going up driving, and it was I wasn't prepared for it. It was tough. It was really tough, but I managed to you know, could have quite easily gone down the wrong the wrong road, and I managed to kind of gain football, turn it around and then and then join an agency to do live shows. So it kind of got me out of that that period that could have been real bad.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I think that's that's a really interesting reminder that things like sport or physical activity or you know, being part of a community or a team in some way, especially at that formative age, can help ground you in a sense of belonging or a sense of like distracting you from all the other things you could be doing that actually kind of save you from other pathways that you could have gone down. So amazing that sport was such a recurring theme for you before we move on to sort of how you then trained full time to do stunts, and you know, I think it's it's so cool because it's one of those careers that we see every day, but no one's really thought of how you become a stunt man, like what is the career path to do that? But first I wanted to ask, like, it's currently this week is International Men's Health Week, and I just randomly had this question about you know, it's so cool now to be a gymnast and to do all kinds of sport. You know, gyms in the Olympics, it's you know, you know that the dudes are ripped and like it's a really cool thing to do. But I think when you're younger, it's very different to football. You know, you're like wearing micra earlier than most guys do, when you're doing kinds of different stretching. Did you find that it was Did you get you know, teased at all for doing it? Was it hard to kind of explain.
Speaker 2: Massively when I was a kid, like, there wasn't as many boy gymnasts. It just wasn't because you know exactly that reason you do in that young age, you know, girls did it, not many boys did it. It took it took time for boys to get into it, and for me to be wearing a leotide at school, you know that. You know, I look bullied for that, and I think I remember I get into about fifteen years old and or fourteen years old, and I remember doing a back summers on the playground and everyone's like, oh my god, did everyone just see that? And then you become the most popular kid in school. So it turns around pretty quickly. But there was a period, you know, a good few years where it was, you know, I didn't want to go anymore. It pushed me to that point of you know, I don't want to go gymestics, Moore. I don't want to get teased anymore. And my mum was so amazing in that respective. Just just trust me and just keep going, keep going, this will pay off. Don't give up. You've worked too hard for this to just you know, knock it on the head. And now I look back and I'm just so thankful that she made me continue, made me go, because there were lots many times, you know, I can't encount on my hands how many times I'd kick and scream and not want to go, and she just kept you know, she's stuck in there and said going. And now you know, I can't thank her enough and be sitting here now talking to you about, you know, the things I'm proud of. So it's my mum.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. I think it's you know, in any career path that's a little bit different. You know, it's it's not cool until one day it's cool, and then suddenly everyone wants to be And I'm sure all those friends from back then are like coming out of the woodworks now, like, look what you've made of yourself from gymnastics. That's amazing. But you do usually have to go through a bit of time where no one gets it. And I think that's when it's so important to have people like your mum or a good network or friends who support you through it while it's not cool until the day that it becomes cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. And so I think there's a there is something to be said about, you know, getting through the adversity of going through that pressure of this isn't people saying it's not call and you're a young kid, and how to deal with that, And I think, you know, it's never nice, And over time, I think you just start to build, you know, you start to become a stronger person from it. You know, I think there's not enough said about that as well. You know that. You know, I'm not saying, you know, promote people get bullied. I'm just saying that when you go through adversity like that, it makes you stronger. And if you can pick yourself up and keep going, the benefits are they outweigh the negatives in the end, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. And I think one of the big themes of this show is that you know, it's all about joy and finding your ya, but no theory of joy can ignore that actually it's usually the shittier bits that get you closer to your joy because it teaches you want, you know, all the skills you need to get there. It teaches you resilience. And I think also like self doubt is probably of all the nase ta that we talk about, self doubt and imposter syndrome is probably the biggest. But then on top of that, like we've all got our own inner negative self talk, but then if you've got outer people also bullying you and telling you what not to do, that's like a thousand times harder to keep on your pathway and sticking to what you love. But look what it did, the fact that you stuck to it, Look what.
Speaker 2: Has led to Yeah, and even still now like exactly what you touched on them. And I'm you know, more than you know. I'm happy to you know, not keep this in all the time. But it's like, you know, I doubt myself every single day. There's things I'm like, you know, to step outside your comfort zone. It's easy too, and it's subconsciously you don't even think about it. You know, I don't want to try that. Oh no, actually, on my cow, I don't want to do that because you're just that worry of failing, or that worry of not being able to do it, or that worry of being laughed at is is powerful if you can take a step back sometimes and just say, look, if I don't do this, I'm going to regred it down the line. And if I you know, I think that as much as you can. People say all the time, you know, failure. I don't wants to fail, but failure is a is a learning curve and it's you know, you'll be better the next time. And if you fail again, it you should learn from that and just keep learning and learn and learning. And it's part of the reason about this book. You know, it's never you know, I was never thought about doing it ever. And then a friend of mine and Tournette as you know, she said, why don't you do this? And you know, now I'm you know, I've got published in a book. It's out this during. So it's just to try those things. It can be so rewarding when you don't think it's just you're, like you said, you've always got the inner self. That's the biggest battle, you know, the battles against yourself all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's so reassuring to hear, like for so many listeners to hear that someone at your level who's done the coolest stuff at the highest levels in Hollywood, like constantly hugely successful milestones, that you still get that voice in your head when you try something new. I think for a long time I was waiting for self doubt to disappear, and I was like, I'm not successful until it goes away. Now I'm like, you're not successful until you can just ignore it. It never goes away, you just get better.
Speaker 2: But I still have that now, regardless of the job at work, when I'm a stuntman, I have that every single time, every single day, always always in there. We manage to find ways to overcome that and battle it, and that that reward is much stronger.
Speaker 1: Totally. And I actually think the day that I turn up to something and I don't have a little bit of self doubt, I'm probably too complacent, Like I've probably I'm probably.
Speaker 2: You don't care about it enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're not invested. Yeah, totally. So the stunt man you have become probably Hollywood's foremost stunt man. I mean literally your resume is insane. Obviously most people will know that you have body doubled your you know, Chris Hamsworth's main body double. You've also been a stunt man for Daniel Craig and Christian Bale in like the biggest coolest roles. You've got eight SAgs, like two Emmys. I think, like, I don't even know what the list is at you know now, But an incredible, incredible career so far. But you had to start somewhere. So how do you even shift into this industry, let alone make it to where you've got to? What was that kind of trajectory like for you and what did you have to learn? Do you just start throwing like yourself at stuff and then see what happens if you bounce?
Speaker 2: Well, it's so funny because I'm thirty eight. Next week I started, you know, my first film was I was twenty three. I feel fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Well you've done a lot of bouncing off things, so that's fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. My first film, I was twenty three and I stunt double for Daniel Craig and quant Maslis. My first job.
Speaker 1: That was your first job, my.
Speaker 2: First ever job yet now and it was actually there's a criteria here in the UK you have to qualify in six disciplines. You can train from like a possible twelve, but you have to qualify in like six skills. So gymnastics, trampolining, high diving with three skills I already had from my background anyway, so I just took the tests. So I'm very lucky to already have three ticked off. And then I did kickboxing to brown bout level you have to have two amateur fights video as proof. And then I did swimming and scuba diving, so that made up my six skills. And just before I'd finished my six skills, I had done four and had a phone call and it was actually from the Stone cornintor Gary Powell, who was, you know, a huge, huge coordinator, you know, and some of the biggest movies. He did see a ray out the Last four Bonds whatever it was, you know, he calls me and says, oh, you know, we want you to come in an audition to stunt double for James Bond. And I thought it was a friend of mine that was calling to take this. I was like, this is a joke, right, So I kind of, you know, I was making a joke back. I was like, you know, who is this ridiculous, like asking me to do the job that everyone wants to do is what I'm training for. And the phone was went silent, and I'm like, oh shit, this might be real.
Speaker 1: I've just pissed off the actual contact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, sir, where'd you need me? He's up Monday, nine O'clock's year there. So I come into Timer Studios an audition. I ended up going back like three or four I think it was four times for quite vigorous audition process until he offered me the job and it was supposed to be six weeks and ended up being six months. And that was the start and fast forward to this. But I actually didn't know anything about stunts growing up as a kid, and I think it was you know, it's unheard of back then, especially with social media and the Internet and that type of thing. We didn't have it. So my only goal as a kid growing up when he goes to the Olympics. My hero was a better Russian called Vitari Sherbo and he was the Olympic gold medalist and I used to watch him on TV. We recorded on VHS a step lay. We record it if it was two recorded and I watched it the next day. But he was my hero, and I wanted to go gymnastics, That's all I had in it. So I goes to the Olympics for genestics. That's all I had in my mind. And I actually didn't even stumble across stunts and know anything about stunt men until I got to about twenty one, and I was doing the high diving show at Lego Land in Windsor. I actually know. So I was twenty and I watched Casino Royal Daniel Craig's first Bond movie, and then I watched the credits come up, and I never watched credits come up with any movies, and I was like, oh, this, this was so cool and how is this work? So I watched the credits and I noticed there was a name on there, Marvin Campbell, who used to be an ex Olympian gymnast that I used to you know, he was older than me, but I used to go to Lilli Shrum and I used to see him and everyone used to look, you know, that's that's Marvin. It's Marvin. And I was like, oh, wait a minute, stunt Marvin. I was like, it was a gymnast. So I then researched it a little bit, found out how it works, and in the UK we have which is called the BSR, the British Stunt Register. So I looked at the criteria and what I needed to do to train for the Stunt Register, and then I just started training and it was just it was new. I was like, oh, okay, and then I started to rea such more and find out more information. But now thanks to social media, thanks to the Internet, thanks to stumb performers all over the world being able to post and show their stuff at what they do, it's now becoming more and more. We still are crying out and desperate for stumb performers, especially here in the UK because it's so so busy, especially with streaming now and movies, that we don't have enough stunt performers, so we're crying out for them. But you know, when I got into it, there was you know, no one really knew about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so cool, like we've all watched so many stunt doubles and probably not even thought about the fact that it wasn't the actual actor or actress themselves, Like it's just this flies under the radar. But it's so crucial and it's so cool that you didn't even know about it until you're twenty one, which is when most people think that they should have made their forever decision about their life. You're finding out about a whole new industry and then just kind of googling it off the back of watching credits in a movie. Like I think people get really siloed into like this is the way that you find a career pathway, and this is the way that you find a passion. But it can come to you in like the weirdest roundabout ways and you just look up, like how do you train? Most people like I didn't know until I got you on the show. I was like, how do you even become? Like I didn't even know you could do a qualification or that there were areas you have to qualifying.
Speaker 2: And in the UK it's there is a criteria. In the Australia there's a criteria, there's like a registered stunt register. In the States there isn't, and the States have the most performers on the planet, so it's but you know, I guess it becomes word of mouth. But I think for me to be able to want to because I mean, I started doing live acrobatic shows and stunt shows when I was nineteen, but I didn't really know anything about the film and TV until I did a bit more. And I think if I hadn't had my gymnastics background, then I would not be doing the job doing today. So I already, without me knowing it, I had already I was. I was already building a and had a physical degree in what I you know, which put me in good in the best position I could ever wish for to be a you know, a professional and successful stump performer because with your mystics trampling in the high diving, the awareness that it gives you spatial awareness and like we talked about before, work ethic, knowing how you know, discipline, working hard. Otherwise I wouldn't I wouldn't be doing it. So although I, you know, I kind of fell in my lap, but I checked out when I was twenty one to film and TV. Without me knowing it, I had already been training really for the since I was four years old for this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so cool. That's like the essence of this whole idea of your pathway that you know, you don't know when the next chapter is around the corner, But you just prepare yourself as best you can for whatever comes next, based on what you're good at and what you enjoy. And then and you're on the cusp of like a whole new chap like a third chapter that again I'm sure only recently you probably had no idea was coming, which is again so excited that you never stopped growing and that you can never stop like reinventing yourself and doing new things. But before we get to the book, I have to ask you some of the like dish the dirt behind the scenes stuff that I mean, most of us will just never have access to it or never have the chance to kind of find out. So on set for example, when you knew that you were going to be James Bond, Like what the actual fuck? That's so cool? Do you spend a lot of time with Daniel Craig. Do you have to learn not only the stunts but like his body language. Do you have to train to condition to change your shape to be more like obviously like you've Daniel Craig is different to Christian Bale is different to you know, all the different like Chris, Like they've all got different bodies. So how do you prepare to be a person? Do you change your hair color?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you do all that stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, this is one of the other things that I take so seriously and being a stunt double for an actor is it's up to the stunt performer to do this and take it upon themselves to research the actor and watch their where they move and the way they walk and the way they talk, all of their menerisms. You know, that's part and parcel of being a stunt double. It's not just being able to do the stunts, but you need to do everything that. In my eyes, you need to be able to try and do everything that they do, which will make you a better stunt performer. So time, at twenty three, I was a lot smaller, more of a gymnast physique, a lot slimmer. Daniel's so lean did it work perfect? But now you know, I've been Chris is stunt double for ten years and he's a man mountain. I've had to build a lot of weight, you know, like a lot of training, be in the gym most of the time, so you know I'd be too big to double Daniel Craig. Now I'd have to go away for six months or maybe not six months, three months and lose a lot of weight and just go running on the street a lot more cardio. But it's fine. Getting the job as a stunt performer, it's then it's fine. It's an amazing achievement to get the job, but it's about keeping it. It's more important once you've got it. You're now in the light of people watching. So it's up to you to continue to grow and try and be the be the best time performer you can be, and monitor watch those actors and how they do things. And you know, that's what I've been doing every time I've stunt doubled with an actor, and that's what I do with Chris and I have done for ten years. So you know, it's weird. I'll watch them and analyze the way they do it everything. So it's I think it's so important. I think anyway for a something forward.
Speaker 1: To do that, it's so cool. It's like the same thing is when an actor is playing someone really famous that they go and watch all of their news interviews and everything they've ever done to kind of mimic their voice and mimic you know, you're doing the same thing in preparation to be the seamlessly step in to be someone that is so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Do you have any hardest scenes you've ever done? And then favorite scenes you've ever done across all the movie like, I mean, you've been in seriously some incredible blockbusters. Are any of your absolute favorites and then you're absolute hardest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I stunt double for Batman Christian Baane in The Dark Knight Rises with Chris Nolan, who is you know, one of my favorite directors on the planet. A very good friend of mine was to stunt a arranger called Buster Reeves. He was doubling Bain. He actually double Christian band on the first two I double Christian and Batman on the last one, and he was doubling Bain because he was the fight arranger. He had to choreograph this big fight sequence between and Batman and it was in the streets, in the streets of New York, up the stairs, and it was one hundred and fourteen move fight that we had to remember choreography. At that point in my career, I was twenty five, I think twenty five going into twenty six or just turn twenty six, so I still fairly knew, you know, and fighting at the time was not something I'd done a massive amount of on screen, but learning from him, and I've learned from some of the best fight guys on the planet. Luckily for me, another good friend of mine, Ben Cook, is also an amazing fight guy. So just to learn that choreography and make sure it's on time, it's almost a you know, it's like a dance. You're doing a dance with someone, and you know, the more you do it, the more repetition, the more you rehearse it, you get to know their you know the way they move. And so that was something I'm very proud of it. It was something that like to again step out my comfort zone. You know, my speciality is gymnastic, trampling, high diving, and then I'm doing something it's not and that self doubt comes in and you know, shit that maybe they used the guys and known for being the best fight guys. It was so good in that and he'd say to me, listen for every faith in you that you can do this, just work hard and you know, listen to what I'm saying. We'll do this together. And by the end. It was amazing, absolutely amazing. We can remember the fights. We did it all in one take once, like the whole thing, you know, in Pittsburgh. It was like one hundred degrees in the batsuit and it was so hot, and we did the whole lot. It was incredible. So I'm very proud of that, you know. And at the end of that movie, or halfway through the movie, it was actually the end of our shoot, because sometimes they shoot out of schedule. We were in New York and the sun was setting and we climb, we actually free climb up the Manhattan Bridge and I was standing on the Manhattan Bridge in the batsuit while Smolan was circling at three sixty with my boss with a camera on it in the helicopter while I was standing in the batsuit. And it's the iconic shot of him regaining his strength back and becoming Batman again, and it was me up there. And so the last time that that suit was warm. It goes into the Batman Museum, and because Christian Band had finished all of his scenes in the suit at that point, it's almost like the last shot of the movie. For me. It was an amazing moment that you couldn't have written it was incredible for me to do that, you know, and that was not maybe the hardest stunt in the world, but has something to be very proud of and go, this is incredible and there's not often you get to do that, and then you know, watch a shot on the film and you're like, that's me. It's like, I'm very proud of that, and you know, and then we fast forward to extraction and there's a stunt we did I won the Tourist World Stunt Award for the Hardest Hit where me and another guy, another stunt guy, we come off the balcony onto the awning, we hit the truck, we hit the road, we stand up. There's a bit of a fight that I get hit by a car and we do that as one section and it just won this year or last year of the Tourist Stunt the awards for hardest Hit and we won Best Fight as well, so you know, massively proud. And they're on completely different ends of the spectrum where it's you know, the fight is something that's you know, it's more of a dance, and then you go into something where it's bash bash crash, and it's you know, it could be way more dangerous. You can hurt yourself a lot more. But I actually felt more comfortable in that zone than I did in the fight. So I just needed to bring my fight stuff up, believe in myself, keep rehearsing, have it in my head, you know. And now I've fast forward, I've done don't do lots and lots of fight stuff.
Speaker 1: That is so cool. Is there a real difference between actors in how much they want to do themselves versus how much they get you to do, Like, how do they choose and how do you balance that out?
Speaker 2: I think I can only speak from my experience with you know, with the actors I've worked with, but you know, for example, with Chris, with him for ten years, he is more athletic than most. Don't rights if he wasn't a successful actor, it would be an incredible stunt. He can do everything. But I think what we try and do, and especially nowadays, is that the actor will say, you know, I want to do everything. But then it comes down to, you know, trying to really be strategic on this film to say they say, we've got four months to shoot this movie. Five months. We have action unit, which is where we do the stunt, second unit where they've got a splinter unit where they do pick up shots, and then you've also got main unit, the talking heads unit, the acting unit. So you have someone the second idea being the trailer like scheduling him how we can get the actor over to this unit where we do this. That's it's a real it's a big, big engine and people a machine for for all these things, these to tick all these boxes and get you know, all these cogs to work. And it also comes down to an insurance thing, like if Chris was to say, you know, you know he's and he's very good at the stone coordinators and mean and the relationship I've got with him, This one's I don't think you need to do this one. It's either going to be a big hit and I can do it's fine, or it's just not worth you you know, twisting an ank or rolling the knee whatever it is. Then to be sidelined for two months, three months. Then the production company has to stop and then the production then are in. You know, they've they've got a targets to meet dates to me, So that becomes a money thing, you know, you know, lose a lot of money. If your actors out for three months and they've got a release date, that's now get pushed. Locations that you've got in that time friend, they are you know, we can't use that location in two months because another film's got it. There's so many working elements that people don't see in the background to make things work. So it's really important to bring you know, the best team you know together as possible, you know, and make everything work together. And so that's you know, as a stunt double, I'll go and work an action unit while Chris is doing like a very intensive acting scene, and then we'll then grab pieces we need for him close ups in the action scene. You know, it might be a week or two weeks later. And if you're teaching the fights, teach other actors or the fights in the choreography. So it really comes into it's about being strategic, Like it's just not worth an actor getting injured for you know, and then you know, being out for three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so crazy. Do you ever watch back scenes where they've cut in close ups of his face and then you're doing stuff and you do you ever like not actually know which one of you It is, like if there's bits where he kind of does some of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me, I always know what's me and I always know what's him, and the same with him as well. I think weirdly we both know him. I think most actors and some doubles do because you know that sequence that you did, Yeah, and I just know, you know, I always have to watch playback at what I've done and you know I don't like that piece. I should have done that better. I can do this a bit different. So you analyze things and break it down such small increments that I know, I know what stuff's mean and I know what stuff's in. But there are you know, listen, there's there's been times where we both have gone is that mear you? But it might be a real flash, a very very small, small moment. But you know, I think it's luckily. Luckily for me, I've got away over it for ten years with him.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, they are the loveliest guys ever. Were you how they do their New Year's party every year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We went to one. We went to two of them. Because our have you met Mark Philip Pelli.
Speaker 2: Mark Philip Early, I don't think I have, Because if you if you go to two of them. You just didn't go to this year as well, because I went to this year's one, but not the two years before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have we went in twenty Oh my gosh, I can't even remember the one in San Diego in La Joya and then the Byron won the year before that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, so with Tedne Michelle who was in San Diego with it? Michelle?
Speaker 1: Then yeah was it? Were you there the gold Mine?
Speaker 2: No? I wasn't there for that, but I was just there for the We just went to I Beefa this year, just gone for.
Speaker 1: New Year amazing. So our one, our business partner in our cafe, Mark Philippelli. He's really good friends with Craig and Leoni and by default the boys because they used to live across the road from his first cafe, and so we ended up at the La Joya party and then in Byron and they're just like you think they're going to be the nicest guys ever, but they are all time, Yeah, like even better than you can ever imagine. So friendly.
Speaker 2: Craigan Loans. They're like my second parents, are they really? Yeah? They're literally Craigan Loans are like you know, I'll see loans in for the thor premiere and then I think she's coming to Europe, so I'll hang out with there hopefully at some point wherever she you know, she ends up and depends all right work schedule. But they was calling me their fourth son, so.
Speaker 1: You could totally be at handsworth. They please send them our love. They're just the loveliest family and I love that, you know, all their school friends come with them, like Zochi and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're not family, yeah for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh so good. Yeah, what an absolute bunch of legends. This episode of CZA is brought to you by Stan and their exclusive new series Everything I Know About Love. It's about best friends, flourishing, failing and figuring it all out, something I think we can all relate to from our twenties. If you don't believe me, have a listen for yourself.
Speaker 3: From the producers of Bridget Jones's Diary and Love Actually Comes Dance, brand new series Everything I Know About Love.
Speaker 2: The first Friday Night in our first.
Speaker 3: London house, meet your next iconic girl gang.
Speaker 2: You have always been my most important person.
Speaker 3: But can their friendship survive when life gets messy?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If we should be that to each other anymore?
Speaker 3: The brand new s everything I know about Love now streaming only on stand start your thirty day for each trial.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, so incredible stunt career. I think it's interesting again, like sometimes when you hit a dream, especially when you didn't even know that you were going to have how do you know when there's a new chapter coming up? Like you know, you don't want to ever not challenge yourself when there's a chance to do something new, but you also, you know, don't want to throw away something that you're doing that's amazing. How did you decide to do a children's book?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Where on earth did that come from? Out of all of this? Like you're in Hollywood? Why did you just write a book?
Speaker 2: It came from? And this is me going back to, you know, being a kid and being naughty and I was terrible at school. Just wasn't academic. It's not something I was good at. And if you know, I think as kids, if you're not if you're not good at it, straight away, you don't want to do it because you're you know, you want to do things that you're good at. And I just wasn't very good at and you know, very open to say that, you know, I wish I did better, I wish I listened more. Just wasn't my thing. But I just had in my mind that I don't need to go. I want to go to the Olympics, and look how that can go wrong. You know, Okay, It's put me in great step for what I do now, and I would never take it back. But there's many times about we talk about self doubt and things that I should know that I don't and if I had been better at score, I would know, and I think what actually happened, and it was a rule I don't know. For me is I had major back surgery after extraction one in twenty nineteen. March twenty nineteen, I had huge back surgery. So I have two titanium discs at my lower level L four L five S one level. And we kind of planned that with Chris's schedule because after extraction, you'd been working so hard for so many years. He wanted to take the best part of a year off. This surgery was going to be between six to eight nine months of recovery and throughout my career. Luckily for me, you know, I'm not complaining about this, but you know, I hadn't had any time off, and it got to that point I was like, Okay, now it's time to have this surgery because it's just getting worse and worse and worse. And my discs they degenerated, and they got so bad that they were literally just vertebrae on vertebrae. They'd gone through every stage of the generation on the discs that you know. I spoke to a surgeon and he said, look, come to me. We'll cut you open, we'll put too tight a and this in there, and you'll be back to doing what you do at the highest level within six to nine months. And I was just like, look, this is a no brainer. Chris is going to take some time off. It's going to get me fit again. I can go back to my job hopefully. But what you don't prepare yourself for. I knew it was going to be physically difficult to rehab and recover. I thought it was going to be difficult. I didn't realize how if it would be. But hand in hand with that, if not worse, was how difficult it be mentally. I really did not prepare myself for that. I didn't know and I think self doubt kicks in when you're so busy all the time. You have this surgery and you're not mobile, you can't move, and that's my bread and butter, that's me, that's that part of who I am is my job, and I'm very proud of that. But then it kind of sets in the self doubt. There's so much time on your hands. Shit, what happens if this has gone wrong? Because I would, you know, and I'm a worrier anyway, so you know, I'd text my surgeon. I'd be like, this has happened, Like you know, it doesn't oh if it was walked down the stairs, and he's like, don't worry, don't worry. It's part of the process. Your body's getting used to this. But you just you know, I was sleepless night. There was in so much pain. Was there a lot of painkillers to try and and they don't help. And I know I was that Lewis end. They really didn't know what I'd do in it. And I think that was when for the first time for me, it felt like, shit, if this does go wrong and I can't go back to what I do, then what will I do? And not to say that I chose to write this book because I thought I was going to be the next JK. Rowling. Because that's not the case yet. Yeah, it was more. I laid in bed and Antoinette, you know, a very good friend of mine, she was the Center publicist at the time. She just said to me, because she's you know, she's so upbeat, and she's so like you know, and that's what I love about it. She's so positive. She's like, what do you write a book like? It was like something that could could be done easily. And I was, what do you mean walking on? I think I can barely spell my name? What do you mean write a book like this is? You know? And she's like, you know what she said to me, I love She said, Listen, no one cares at this stage if you make some spending mistakes. Well the Puncholli is not right, you know, no one really cares about that. It's about the story you have in your head that you can just write down, and your experiences you've drawn on to become a successful stump with woman, the things that happen as a young kid growing up in their self doubt and all those type of things. And I kind of That's what I sat back and thought, Okay, I'm not really although you've writ in the book it's not. It's basically just drawing on experiences. And then what would motivate me? What? What wouldn't want to make me do something that I can help inspire other people and other children. And my stepdaughter Taylor you know, inspired me. My little nephew Eddie.
Speaker 1: Oh it's named after him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The book is called the Adventures of Flip Boy and Eddie, and that's my nephew. I sent our illustrator the pictures of him and she basically made, you know, made him come to life. But it was kind of I could draw from experiences from them and how kids are today and then how I was as a kid. And I think a blessing disguise for us. When we were kids, we didn't have internet, we didn't have phones, we didn't have iPads, we didn't have any of that. We have laptops, So what would we do with reboard? You go out and you play your mates, you'd run around. Is you know you were naturally fit as kids, because it actually didn't matter that when you were kids, because we didn't know much about nutrition back then either it was more about you could the energy that you'd burn off. It didn't matter what you ate. And I was then training in gymnastics and doing so much so I could get away of eat wherever I wanted, and again not knowing much about what you should and shouldn't need. So I just thought to myself, we have to obviously stick with the times. You're never going to get away from technology. And it is an amazing thing, but how can we go back to some of the basics that we had as kids and intertwine that with you know, technology, And it's such a fun book about discipline, knowing if you you know, if you work hard at something, you will achieve something and that makes you feel good. At the back of the book there's very basic tips on nutrition and basic tips on like a little training program you can do in your bedroom, star jumps, touch jumps, squad push ups, like basic things that any kid can do at home, but they just don't know. You know, you can do it with your parents. You're going to find and you don't have to be outside to do it. And there's just at the back of the books have those little natural a sorry, those little you know, informative little bits of information. They're very basic that kids can do is, you know, be on your iPad for an hour, but then you're going to do this little program for ten to fifteen minutes, and you know, eat a little bit better, and you know, be a bit more disciplined. At home. Your Mauma should have Go and brush your hair and brush your teeth and tidy your room. Go and do it like you know, it's part and parcel of you know. So you know, Eddie and the Book joins a martial arts class and gymnastics class because Flip Boy is his hero, and he watches him on the TV and on his iPad. That's all he does. And he sees Flipboy doing all these tricks and because he's a young kid and one must be able to do that because Flipbod does, he doesn't understand that you have to work hard to get to that stage. So he hurts himself and then he gets upset. He's like, why am I hurting myself doing this? And he bumps into Flip Boy and he's give him a little pep talk of you can't just look at something and think you can do it. You've got to work hard at it. And then in six months he's now training and because of he's gone to the gym and he's starting to learn to be more disciplined. He's training, he's getting results. That goes so hand in hand with you know, Eddie, you've got gymnastics in a minute, tidier room, yet mun trumpstairs, tiny's his room like he's got some kind of routine. And it's about kids having routines. And you know, just we all know that by eating better and exercise and just basic health and fitness is so good for you, not just physically but mentally as well. We all know that. It just it releads the doorphins in your mind and your upbeat. You have more energy. We know that. And I think this book is just a very basic for kids that between six and six and twelve years old that don't have heroes that they can look up to. I want them to look up to Flipball and say that's who I want to be and it's and it doesn't matter if they then go on and do something else. I can promise that by doing that from such a young age, or doing that as a kid, it will put you in good stead to do anything else that you want to do and that is a fun book and it's just to get kids to be as more active and healthy as possible. That's that's my main aim for this book. So that's why they decided in the end, you know, with the black back in from Antoinette, to give it a go. And it was me again, as an adult, do I do this? Do I step up? So I'm a comfort zone. You know, I'm successful at what I do now. You know, I've worked so hard to get to there and gone through so many obstacles and adversity to get to there. Do I know want to strip it back and try something else and then get you know, turned down for that? It's you know, but I'm so thankful I did. It's the best thing, you know, I ever did. And you know, I've got so many things that in the pipeline. We've got a great synopsis for you know. You know, if this book does well, we're going to bring a superhero girl into it and we can make it, you know, maybe book two and three, maybe make it a TV show. You know, I want to make it. You know, I want to try and make bring Flip Boy to life and Eddie as much as possible. So it was something I wanted to, you know, give back a little bit in a way.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. It's really interesting that this came up sort of in the week of men's health work, because I think one of the things that is the theme about conversations for men and any of the things that they go through in their health and wellness and mental health and wellness is to start the conversation when they're younger, to talk to them when they boys, like how do we teach our boys how to do that? And young girls as well, but particularly you know in mental health week that it's it's interesting that talking to kids about basic things when they're younger and giving them the resources to get excited about being well and fit and active and drawing on the superhero thing because for older boys, older men, but also sort of teenage boys and stuff, like you as a superhero doing stunts is is straightforward. But for a younger boy like Flip Boy being the superhero, it's so beautiful that you've translated it into a really fun and exciting and so wholesome. I mean, how sweet that little Eddy's like watching Flip Boy on his on his iPad and it's modern but it does kind of draw on your own childhood. I think it's so exciting, like one an amazing thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, hopefully it does great. And I can you know, just sem my step daughter Taylor, she'll be she'll be the superhero girl and the next one.
Speaker 1: Hopefully, oh my gosh, and you know what it's So the last section of the podcast is playta, which is the whole idea that you know, outside of your working identity and your productive identity, which is what we just talked about, stripping back who you are when you're at work and you're kicking goals, and you know, we get so wrapped up in success being you know what we do, being who we are, and not having any identity outside of that. So it's interesting to me that this idea, like the biggest new idea you've had in the last what, you know, how long you've been doing stunts fifteen years, was when you took a break from it. You know, you couldn't you didn't have space to have a fresh idea until you step away. And I think maybe you don't need to take a year off or like ten months to have a surgery to do that. But I think people think that if they take a step back, they'll they won't be able to catch up, or they'll fall behind, or you know that you just need to be go, go go all the time. But my best ideas are always when I take a weekend off or a week off or a day off, like it's getting distance that you get fresh ideas and perspective. And that's when this idea came to you, when you couldn't do anything else. I find that really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's so true, Sah, because I probably if I hadn't earn it bad back and I didn't need the surgery, then this wouldn't the book wouldn't be here. It is exactly that, because you do fear of oh shit, if I step out of this, someone else can take my spot. So you know, if I step out of this, I'm not going to be able to come back and catch up. It's exactly right what you said, and it's just proof that proof in the pudd in that if you do do it, and you do take that time off, and you do try and explore and expand, great things can come from that. And I think this time round again, you know, I finished extraction two with Chris and the team in Prague at the end of March. You know, it's time to take a little bit of time out because we you know, hopefully this year we have a few of us film coming out as our acting dabut as well as doing our own stunts. Yeah, an action comedy called School Fight, which is so much fun, so funny. We actually shot it and again it was it was just after I wrote Flip Boy. You know, it wasn't working with Chris. I couldn't be too physical. So my friend who was a very good friend of mine, Damian Waters. He's like a YouTube pioneer. He was five time world champion tumbler. He's doubled for Captain America in right Stunts. He wrote and directed this film and asked me to play the lead villain and then we've got my two other buddies for the two leads in it. And it would ended up being the best experience of my whole entire life. And I wouldn't have done that again if I hadn't have had that back surgery and taking a bit of time out, because would have been doing a big blockbuster movie. And we just made it ourselves. We actually made it. You know, they put up the money for it to make it, but it's a very low budget and I think when you see it you'll just be like, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, Matthew Vaughan is on board. He picked it up, he loved what he saw, and you know it's been finished in post to the highest level. So you know, I'm excited for that. And I think I took some time off after extraction in March because hopefully, you know, we have the meetings, we're trying to pull things together to make another one, and that's what we want to do now. So you know, two amazing things have come out of taking a step back, and it was only because of the injury and that time on my own to really reflect and try other things that these two new huge adventures could you know, be life changing. So yeah, I think if anyone can learn anything from this podcast today is yeah, just go for it, give it a go, and it doesn't work out, you've learnt something from it, and go back again if you and try harder next time, or use those mistakes as positives to learn and just and give it go. I mean, I'm so glad I gave both of those things a go and you know, there's some big things happening.
Speaker 1: In the Hope, so exciting. And I think also like the idea that you know, often you find yourself in a really tough time, like with your back, you know, not being able to do anything, and all the things that make you you and that make you feel good having those stripped away. It was like a forced way to create space. But once you've had that experience, you realize, I can actually choose to put that space in my life. I can actually choose to kind of build into my schedule time to play, time to give my brain a break so that I can have these new ideas more, because otherwise you just get on that productivity hamster wheel and you do the same thing over and over and it might be something really good, but you don't know what you're missing out on. Until you know you actually do, you just give it a go. So you mentioned you've taken a little bit of time off after years of not having any time off, which again is amazing that you've been in such demand, but now that you are kind of building in a bit of downtime, a bit of time for play. You mentioned you have a step daughter, and I imagine being around children kind of brings that you know as adults ahead is like what am I doing next year? And five years time? As my five year plan? But kids are so like in the now? How do you play? What do you do when you're just like, you don't care about the productive outcome, You're not worried about success. You're just for the pure joy of life. What do you do? Do you watch? Do you watch Netflix? Like? Do you want to watch TV? Are you done with TV?
Speaker 2: You know what's so funny because people are always like, wow, you know it, stunt guy, adrenaline junkie, and you love to you must be when you're not working, you can out skydiving, work type of stuff. I think because I've been so busy for fifteen years and it's long, long days, long hours, you know, just going out for a nice relaxing dinner and a glass of wine and a great bit of food, and you know, hanging out with friends and chilling out and resting and watching I watch football and I love the UFC and all these things that I don't really get to do as much of when I'm working six days a week. Sometimes sometimes I have to you're up at four or five thirty in the up between four and five in the morning, drive to the studio, hair and makeup, you don't finished, or eight or nine, you've got a train, just go to you basically, come at, eat and go at it. Very committed to the job, so on downtime I actually try and especially at the beginning of part of the downtime, depending on how long I've got is I want to just relax and chill out, the do the simple things and you know, see friends have nice dinners, catch up with people that haven't been able to, you know, see for a while. And then you know, depending on how long I've got off, you know, I have a nice little hole of their way relax in and you know, maybe again and come back. And I'm going to go and do this. This is a good adventure. I want to go and try and do this. And I think, you know, I'm very lucky to be able to do that as well financially, because I've worked so hard and so much. You know, you can get to do some great things. So I actually probably chill out, which people don't think or may not think that these hide you know, octane stunt people that love jumping around like Craze did it on my time off. It's that I want to do the opposite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like the last thing you want to do. Yeah. I think that's also the case for a lot of people. Is like the what they do as a job, they love it, but as soon as they've got time off, like you want to do the opposite of that thing, because you just you get so much of it that you need to unwind and like and let your body break. Like your body must get so tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, recover from a few injuries and knocks, and you know, I'll still go and train. I'll go and keep maintenance on the body. And you know, if I can get down to the gym and doing it with gymnastics to brush up some skills or go kick boxing or boxing or whatever it is, get the gym and still try and eat as healthily as possibly can on my downtime. You know, I might have told you a little bit more chocolate and crisps and whatever, but generally it's it's great to have that downtime to like you said, rest your mind, your body and then recoup and then come back strong with it. I think it's important. Downtime is so Important's underrated.
Speaker 1: Do you find this is another random question I just thought of now in light of this Men's Men's Health Week. My husband was an athlete. He was at Luffbra actually, which is how he knew the lads from this wedding, and was a hurdler and then retired when he was got constantly injured. And one of the things that's been really like that was really hard in the transition that often you don't kind of get sports psychologied out of is you know, you're getting your skin rolls measured every two minutes, and the pressure on your physical appearance is so high, let alone when then you're in Hollywood all the time. It's interesting that there's so much discussion among women with body dysmorphia and confidence and all that kind of thing, but it's not really spoken about that much for men, even though there is as much pressure for men to have an eight pack all the time. And then add that you're playing Batman and you know, like James Bond and and you know whatever Chris is, do you thaw like you know you've got to Does that ever get to you? You find that difficult when you do want to rest, but you're like, but I need to get to the gym or I can't like eat these because do you find.
Speaker 2: That it's very hard? I would be I'm not going to lie, very very hard. It's my last fifteen years is to train to look like someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so is.
Speaker 2: It part of me now? And sometimes my friends and I help, don't worry. It's not going to matter, you have. I'm like, I can't, I can't, you know, I need to stay on level ground so it can give myself, you know, a six week period to ever lose weight or put it on like it really is and listen. I think, once this is all over, I'm going to be really really fat, and I'll enjoy it. I'll enjoy it. I'll just be like I deserve this because the whole career has been you know, exactly that calorie counting, watching you wait, trying to look like someone else. Let's be honest, Dublin Chris Hemsworth for the last ten years, like they've got the best Physeke in Hollywood. It's just not really nice for me to be like, shit, why did it have to be him? You know, It's like it's so tough, you know, and it's it takes a lot of real power and discipline, and like I said, I'm I'm there near as strict as i'd like to be, because sometimes I'm like, do you know what a bit of chocolate and it's like crav it and you have it. You know, it's tough. I think I've been lucky that I've like I go back to the gymnastic days that I had that great skeleton of work that I could build around, and I know that if I really do turn it up and become real strict, I can get results very quickly. But they also go very quickly as well if you don't if you don't watch what you eat. So it's one hundred percent like Pott dysmorphia has been a big thing in my career for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so interesting because for you know, for the average lay person, it's kind of like, you know what, no one's kind of notice like no one sees me naked, you know, like no one is going to tell if I put on like half a kilo. For you, it's like no, I mean, like millions of people are going to see my bart every day. I can imagine the stakes are so much higher, it would be it will be really hard but obviously not without benefits either, And I can't wait to see you blow out afterwards.
Speaker 2: You'll just be like, ah, enjoy it, enjoy it well.
Speaker 1: Second last question, just to finish out, what are three interesting things about you that don't normally come up in conversation or interviews, like weird allergies or sleeping habits or tattoos like who people who live with you would know them, but no one else would know.
Speaker 2: I think I didn't know this. But when I sleep, I kick around a lot, which I I don't know if that's.
Speaker 1: Like doing a fight scene in your sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if that's because of the job. It's so much like and I go home and I go to sleep, and I'm still like kicking around. I don't I don't know why I do it. Obviously don't know I do it, So that would definitely be one of them. And I think, you know, some people say to me fidget, and I get, you know, fidget in my in my sleep. But even when I'm you know, watching a film, or I'll slap my leg or lift my leg like I'm always moving. I can't just sit down and relax. So that's that's quite funny. I just I guess that's just because it's my whole life has been that, you know, and I guess people you know again, just I want to probably relax more than most and I will. I'll binge and watch, you know, if something's really good on Netflix or whatever the show may be. I'm happy to sit and watch like six episodes in one go and you know, eat a bag of the egos like it's I'd actually say it's probably one. I mean, I listen. I love going out for lovely dinners, like Noboo is my favorite restaurant on the planet. Same, it's my favorite on the planet. I love. That's why I love to do, is go for nice dinners. I have a nice glass or one whatever. But I'm quite as happy, just as happy sometimes to you know, get a tie takeaway or whatever at home and have a beer and what like in the comfort of your home, like go into the cinema. Again, I love doing that, but you know you do at home. You can just pause it, you can you can go and do something, you can go to the bathroom, you can come back here the comfort own of your own home. I think comfort, I think for me is really important. Comfort for sure, that's I think that's probably the third thing is comfort.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you and my husband are so similar. He's like, I'm watching a movie, but you know, he doesn't like cinemas because he can't do eight hundred other things at the same time as watching the movie. When is it cinema? He's got to only watch the movie, whereas at home is like building a lego, drilling some like making some shed from scratch, and like also like research and I don't know, he's doing like eight hundred things at once all the time. It's like, what I'm chilling. I'm like, you are not chilling, you're doing any other things. Also, have you stated that there's a Nobu hotel in London?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got You've got so You've got Portman Square, which is the dob Hotel. There's one in Shortage but shut at the moment. I don't watch shut And I think then there's one in Park Lane. So I think in London we've got three no boos and ones closed down. They are opening a new one soon.
Speaker 1: I did not know they had a hotel. It's like, does that mean that room service is Noboo? Because wow, is it actually? Shut up?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, We've got two nights at the end, and I'm like, we haven't bold acommodation yet. I'm like, oh, should we say the black cord is like my favorite dish in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the black cod Yeah, but they now do black cod croquettes. Stop, trust me, go to the port Square is the neighbor hotel? Important Square is incredible?
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh my god, totally doing that. Oh, I'm so excited. Two last questions. The first one is your favorite quote, and the second one is when and where can we get the book?
Speaker 2: Okay, favorite quote would have to be I think it's tattoo on my arm? Do stuff have fun? Be nice?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love it? And basically the whole Hemsworth crew has it. Leone, He's got it. She's got that Tattooedi's got it, As has got it. I've got it, like we've the whole group has got that tattooed somewhere on their body. Do stuff have fun? Be nice?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I love that. That is so you guys just simple but just have a good life.
Speaker 2: So effective.
Speaker 1: Also, can you get a tattoo without Chris getting it in the same spot? Like, do you guys have to coordinate that or do you just get them all covered?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a wholese leave that I just decided halfway through Doublin. I think after like the year three or four, I want yet sleeve and he's like, the fuck are you talking about? I just always wanted one, Like, but the makeup so good at covering them up. They've got the special tattoo cover now and they can get like, you know, they can get that covered in twenty five thirty minutes. It's covered and they put this spray solution and it stays, you know, covered all day and then you have, you know, go and wash off. I mean, listen, it's funny because whenever I get a new one, because I went from like having a little band, then I did the three quarter, then I went down to the wrist, and then I did the hand and you just never stop. But people are just like it was so funny when I said to the boys, I'm going to get the hand and they're like, do you know what about tatoo? And I'm like, hold on it. Do You're not realize for the last five years I've got my whole arm done. Doesn't really matter if you get that one little bit done on my hand, Is it really gonna matter that it's going to take an extra two minutes to cover that if they cover that? So's that was my kind of thing behind it. But some days I'm not lying it. Some days you kind of go off, Now it's going to take thirty minutes or whatever. So me and Chris haven't got the saying, well, he's got a couple now, but they're not the same ones. But yeah, I think I'm actually in the process of getting some taken off. So I think I'm kind of helping out again now because I'm taking some away and the ones that I I don't know, and it makes myself a bit that way.
Speaker 1: If he gets one, do you then have to get that, so you get all yours hidden, and then you have to get he's added on.
Speaker 2: Only if it's for the for the film and the scene. So his his ones that he's got that are actually his real tattoos, they're never really in the film. Okay, they get covered up himself. If we have tattoos, they cover him and then for the film we've got to put the other tattoos on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my gosh, imagine before they had that makeup. You just wouldn't be out of body double unless you had nothing on your skin. You couldn't get a tattoo at all.
Speaker 2: No, No, yeah, exactly, I shouldn't do it. I shouldn't. I'm just very fortunate. I've got someone like Chris in my corner. That's you know, I'm in his contract, being in his contract for ten years, and he's like, look, that's my stand double, so this is what I want. Kind of lets me. You know, that means okay, well we have to cover it. Because if it is a choice and I wasn't with him, I'm sure production we'd be like, let's get someone else that we don't have to cover tattoos, like I think that would. So I think I'll be quite lucky.
Speaker 1: I love that you're a writer in this contract, like you want me? You get Bobby Sos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the best. He's the great, great human on the planet. We've you know, it's one of my best powers. We've been working together for so long. I think we've done fifteen films together. We get on so well, and he's just so law and you know he's like, that's that's my stung guy. And you know we're going to take care of him. He's amazing, he's the best.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's a good egg. It's a great egg. And finally, where can we get the Adventures of Flipper and Eddie?
Speaker 2: So The Adventures of Eddie and Flip Boy. You can get it on sale on the twentieth of June. It's fifteen ninety nine online book Toopia, Amazon Books, QBD shops, dye Marks, Readings, most of the good book stores Amaze from the twentieth of June. So hopefully if this one does well, we get to make a few more.
Speaker 1: Oh how exciting. Well, this won't be coming out until after that date, so I'll make sure to pop a link in the show notes for anyone who's listening who wants to get a copy and see some of the you know, teasers and illustrations and how exciting. Congratulations, Thank you very much, Thank you for having me. Gosh, I pinch myself all the time at the people this show has connected me with. What a cool story Bobby has and the children's book is a pure delight, So much platio going on there. Of course, I'm guessing you'll also want some visuals of human actions, so along with where you can get the book. There are show reels and more links in the show notes. As always, please thank Bobby for his time and energy sharing the episode. Screenshot it right now, right now while you're listening, and tag at Bobby Dazzler eighty four and us so we can keep growing the neighborhood as far and wide as possible. I hope you are all having an amazing week and are seizing your yea