Speaker 1: It's just before eight am on a brisk morning in Sydney and Redfern, and I'm outside Redfern Police station feeling a bit anxious because.
Speaker 2: Today I'm going to be riding alongside.
Speaker 1: Police as they arrest high risk domestic violence offenders as part of Operation Amarok. Tactical and high impact teams conduct early morning raids to get the worst of the worst offenders who have breached advos or bailed compliance checks, or have evaded arrest. Until now, I don't really know what to expect today. I've heard stories of police interrupting dB in progress or having to chase perpetrators onto public buses. What I do know is this is the frontline of domestic violence policing. This is the force attempting to put a dent in the scourge that is dB in this country, but isn't making a difference. I'm Jebba Bath and this is a special episode of True Crime Conversations when you Southwales police invited us on an exclusive ride along to witness arrests as part of Operation Amarok, a statewide blitz cracking down on alleged high risk domestic violence offenders. I had an image in my head of what to expect, it was completely turned on its head. This blitz was to be the fourteenth iteration of the operation, and on the TV news, I'd seen footage of police at prior raids in helmets, carrying battering rams, marching single file towards people's doors. What I discovered riding alongside officers in the Central Metro Region DV Offender Team, however, was that most of the arrests they carried.
Speaker 2: Out looked a lot less dramatic.
Speaker 1: In total, I saw four people arrested, two men and two women. Multiple officers were there to carry out each one, but they were all in plain clothes. I was told it's easier to sneak up on people that way. They also find victims to see them as more approachable, But it was strange being surrounded by cops in gans and a beanie. Given the nature of the operation, I'll admit I was expecting most arrests to be of alleged male perpetrators for crimes of intimate violence against female partners. We are losing a woman a week to a former or current partner, after all, But I only saw one arrest of that alleged nature, and as the two officers I was shadowing, explained many of the arrests they do are family members allegedly hurting other extended family members. I got up with Sergeant Price at the end of our five hour ride along to debrief.
Speaker 2: So tell me about today. It's Operation Amarok. What did we do?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 2: Up, we were in Surrey Hill's Red Fern. What was the plan when we got there?
Speaker 4: This morning?
Speaker 3: We went to Surrey Hills to arrest the female with an outstanding DV warrant. We knocked for a while when the occupants initially refused to let us in. After a while they did let us in. The female we were looking for was an inside. However, there was two people inside that address who had AVO conditions not to be.
Speaker 4: At the address.
Speaker 3: Those two people were arrested and taken to Surrey Hill's police station. We're still making inquiries to locate the female that.
Speaker 4: We're looking for.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me anything about the relationship of these people.
Speaker 3: One was the son of the female and the other person was the female's.
Speaker 2: Mother, So we arrested a grandma and a grandson essentially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you find during these operations? You're doing a lot of these family kind of arrests or checks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very common that multiple people in the one house may have AVOs with each other. They're not complying with those avios, and it's quite common when we go into a house there may be multiple people in breach of those orders.
Speaker 1: Would you say that you're doing more family kind of style arrests in these DV operations than like partner violence.
Speaker 4: Partner violence ones are definitely there.
Speaker 3: It just depends on the day when we go there, guess, But it is common that there is the family type domestic violence AVOs.
Speaker 2: From there. From that arrest, we had a few, I guess false starts. You were trying to find people what was happening.
Speaker 4: So just after that one, we went to an address in Redfern.
Speaker 3: We confirmed on CCTV footage that a male he had two outstanding warrants. He was at the victim's house in breach of the enforceable avo as well. The footage showed him leaving at six point forty five. I think we got there about eight am, so we just missed him. We made inquiries with the security of that building confirmed that he wasn't at the location. So we'll continue to follow that up and I hope he goes back there will he'll be arrested. He's preaching the AVO by being in that building as well, and.
Speaker 2: So that would have been for domestic violence charge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's relating to domestic violence. The victim is that lady who lives at the address he was this morning.
Speaker 2: Is that happening a lot where they just go back.
Speaker 4: To the very common?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very common, very common We picked them up when they're wanted or preaching the AVO conditions by being at the victim's address.
Speaker 2: Are you going back to the same homes a lot?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, it's very common that we do that, Yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: A little bit further on in the morning, there was a man that had been convicted of manslaughter.
Speaker 2: What will we checking in on him for?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was I think it was some years ago. He's charged with murder.
Speaker 3: He's convicted of manslaughter, spent time in jail, he's been released in the last few years and he's been charged with domestic violence offenses for his new partners. We did a AVO or attempted to do an AVO compliance check at his address in Randwick.
Speaker 4: When we made those inquiries. He's actually in Cusvidio at the moment.
Speaker 1: When you're doing these operations, is this typical that you're spending a lot of time kind of driving around. There's nothing there, you drive to another place there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We try to get to as many places as we can, do as many checks, try to arrest as many people as we can.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's very fast moving.
Speaker 3: Sometimes information comes in throughout the day that somebody may be at a particular location, so we respond.
Speaker 4: Quickly to that.
Speaker 2: I'll admit I was expecting you to be in police uniform.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, we don't wear uniforming our team.
Speaker 3: It's I think a lot easier for us to catch people who are wanted if we're not in uniform. And I think a lot of victims prefer to speak to us outside of uniform as well. They feel a bit more comfortable.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the two other arrests we've done today. There was a gentleman over in South Coulji.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a warrant his issued two days ago. That was for a domestic violence offense preach avo offense. He was arrested in South Cooji. He's gone back to Mariuba Police station.
Speaker 4: And one here in Maroubra. It's a female.
Speaker 3: She had an outstanding warrant for domestic violence offense as well. He's been arrested and going back to the police station as well.
Speaker 1: Most of these people will they be out of custody by the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to tell. Yeah, possibly some of these warrants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's likely they will and some will be they were refused as well.
Speaker 1: Perfect, and from here, what's the plan. It's about lunchtime. We've done four ish arrests.
Speaker 2: What's your the rest of your day?
Speaker 4: Look like We'll keep going.
Speaker 3: Hopefully the guy we were looking for in Bradfern comes back, so we'll put ourselves in a position to arrest him if he comes back. Yeah, we'll just probably have lunch and then reassess and see where else we can go after this.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time, good luck. I hope you get more arrest Thank you.
Speaker 1: Across the three day operation, New South Wales Police charged seven hundred and thirty two people, executing two hundred and twenty eight arrest warrants and twelve thousand and fifty four advo compliance checks. I find three hundred and twenty one advo breaches and two hundred and twenty five bail breaches. One hundred and eighteen firearms were also seized. When you zoom out further and count up all of amarok's work over the last three years, they've charged nine thousand and sixty seven alleged defenders and laid eighteen thousand, seven hundred and fifty six charges. There's no doubt they're impressive numbers. New South Wales Police has always said the goal is to show how relentless they are when it comes to this crime. AMAROK is certainly proving to be a high visibility crackdown and it's pretty intimidating. I asked Superintendent Danielle Emerton for some feedback on how it's been going. I'm interested. I know that this operation is targeting high risk domestic violence offenders. What exactly does that mean? What kind of offenders are we looking at?
Speaker 5: So if the operation is intelligence led and offender focused, so it aims to ensure the safety and well being of domestic and family violence victims and the broader community. So we're looking at offenders who have that access, capability and intent of harming their victims.
Speaker 1: Does that mean it's often repeat offenders or people that have been in the sites of police for a while.
Speaker 5: Yes, usually that is the case. We have intelligence that will direct our police to those offenders.
Speaker 1: I know you've done fourteen iterations. Would the same names be coming up in those arrests?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Often, Yes, they are repeat offenders. A lot of them have outstanding warrants, prohibition orders and weapons probition orders that we go and do compliance checks on. So yeah, that's what Operation and Rock is all about us as checking and on the compliance of offenders who have existing apprehended violence orders and the like.
Speaker 1: Do you have a breakdown or no, even anecdotally if it's more men or more women being arrested.
Speaker 5: I do have a statewide gender breakdown. Okay, great, they are wise for Operation and Rock fourteen, so there were twenty seven percent female offenders and seventy three percent male.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it is majority alleged male perpetrators.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 1: And are the majority of those charges around intimate partner violence?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it working? Is the operation helping people?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? It's getting really serious offenders back behind bars. It's also ensuring that they know that police are onto them, particularly now that we're working in partnership and with cross border policing, so we're working with a joint operation with ACT Policing and AFP and ACT Policing. They've modeled their Operation Shepherd on Operation am Rocks, so we've got that they've got an operational blueprint and strategies and resources to help them organize their first operation. Domestic violence is a crime that affects all communities and it remains a scourge on our society, so we're pleased to be able to share our successful operation with another law enforcement jurisdiction. The number of arrests and charges are a huge for this operation and in previous Amrock operations, and it sort of talks to the scale of domestic violence in New South Wales. The numbers are concerning and one incident of domestic violence is one too many. During the operation, we deploy all available resources, including specialist officers, to surge and use intelligence led approaches to target offenders that and we see these good results.
Speaker 1: Obviously, with those huge amount of numbers, there's victims at the other ends of those So have you heard from victims. I know you guys are mainly arresting and you know placing abos and stuff. But have you had any feedback from the victims on how they feel about it?
Speaker 5: Well? Yes, in cases that will the police will attend homes, we do get to speak with victims. Obviously, a compliance check of an apprehendive domestic violence order involves the speaking to both parties, so the person in need of protection and the defendant. So police do get to speak in firsthand to our victims, and anecdotally we are told that you know, often these domestic violence incidences occur behind closed doors, so it's the time that they're actually usually very relieved that police are ensuring that the compliance of these orders is occurring.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help but notice doing a ride along with some offices in Redfern on Friday, that one hundred percent of the places we went to were lowest socio economic areas, low lower socioeconomic housing. I know that DV, We all know that DV happens in any postcode, no matter where you live. Is what I witnessed an accurate representation that a lot of these arrests are happening in those lower socio economic areas.
Speaker 5: No domestic and family violence occurs in all socioeconomic areas, it knows no bounds that it doesn't discriminate. We respond to one hundred and sixty thousand incidences of domestic violence every year, which is one every three minutes, so and also responding to domestic violence incidents takes up sixty percent of police time. So we are seeing it in all walks of life, all socioeconomic backgrounds, all different cultures. And yeah, it's definitely it's a huge problem, and it's a whole of government and society problem. And obviously police cannot arrest our way out of this issue alone.
Speaker 1: What's the plan from here? This has been going on since twenty twenty three, We've got another three years left of Operation Amarok.
Speaker 5: Well, we've also launched other additional operations throughout the year, including Operation Search to target domestic violence offenders. So will work every day. It's not just during these operations to investigate domestic violence incidences and arrest offenders. So while this Operation Operation Amarock has been held over three days on this occasion, it forms part of an ongoing year round strategy to apprehend our high risk offenders.
Speaker 1: Perfect, I think we'll leave it there. Thank you so much, Superintendent, No, thank you. If I'm being honest, it wasn't quite the answer I was after. Because while no one is outwardly against the Blitz, I've seen quite a lot of discussion from DV services saying they need more resourcing and funding to deal with the fallout because when police enforcement ramps up, so do their referrals. Right now, these frontline services are operating at above one hundred and fifty percent of their funded capacity, and the bottom line is they're struggling to keep up with demand. Both Domestic Violence New South Wales and full Stop Australia have told the ABC the stronger police response needs to be matched with a properly funded support sector. In my search for answers, I asked New South Wales Police Minister Yasmin Catley how she measured success in this operation beyond the number of arrests.
Speaker 6: Oh well, domestic violence not increasing. That would be the real measure of success. Right are spoken on this program before about you know it's going up. So the success is not certainly measured by arrests, but it's keeping we were safe and that's important, that's really important. Unfortunately, in my role as police minister, I've seen too many women lose their lives at the hands of their intimate partner. That has to stop. That just has to stop. And we're doing our bit, certainly in police, but broadly community needs to do more too. We all need to, you know, be and I know that you know, various cohorts have different views, but you know, I'm just really I believe anyway, as a woman and as a mother, I believe that you know, you have to say something if you know something. If I'm a girlfriend and my girlfriend's in a situation where she's experiencing domestic clots, I'd like her to talk to me about it, and her and I to have that conversation. I'd like my daughters to be able to talk to one another and to talk to their friends so that they can have that conversation about They may not want to go to police, and that's okay. They need to be talking to someone and getting some advice someone to do, because otherwise they could be putting their life at risk and those outcomes are not what we want to see or hear about.
Speaker 1: In the twenty twenty six to twenty twenty seven budget, an additional one hundred and eighty four million was dedicated to six frontline specialist DV programs over four years, which sounds amazing, but they've had no increase in funding for a decade, so even a fifty percent boost is just catching up on accumulated under investment, not funding new growth. Ultimately, this is a good news story. We want our police to take DV seriously, and they are. We want high risk repeat offenders to be targeted and put on notice, and they are. We're just missing that support services element to be taken just as seriously. I've had some time to digest the morning and really think about what I saw and watch the videos back of me pre operation, what I thought I was going to be getting in two I feel quite sad having witnessed that was two women arrested, a much younger woman and then a much older woman, and then two men, a younger man and an older man, and speaking to the officers. You know, of course it's domestic relationships like a romantic relationships that take up a lot of this work, but it's also families. So those first two arrests, you know, they were three generations of the one family that they were trying to arrest, the grandson, the mother, the grandmother, and it's not the first time that they've been arrested, and this is just a cycle. You know. The other thing that I am reflecting on a lot is all of the arrests we went to, and all of the places we tried to arrest in were all in lower socio economic areas or housing. And we know that domestic violence happens everywhere, no matter where you live, no matter how rich you are, no matter how poor you are. But this operation is targeting repeat offenders. And I couldn't help but notice where we were, and then you can't help but think about all of the other factors that might be at play. All of the officers involved in the operation I was a part of were in plain clothes, and they told me that they do that because one they want to surprise the people that they're resting, and two because it makes victims more comfortable they want to talk to them more. But it was just really weird to see all of these different officers. At the first arrest we went to, I thought one of the what turned out to be officer was just a nosey, busybody. You know, he was wearing a beanie, he was leaning on the fence and it wasn't until I saw the gun in the holster that I realized that he was a cop. Another cop at the second arrest was wearing a run Faster pasta shirt. You know, something you might see on someone down at the local pub on a Saturday. But that's how they roll, especially when it comes to arresting people that are evading arrest. All four of the offenders can quietly came willingly into the police cars, but they were all people that were being arrested for violent offenses in the domestic violence space. But looking at them in a cop car or looking at them on a street, you don't see that. And I think that's the important thing to remember that these people don't look scary, but you don't know what's happening behind closed doors. Thank you for joining us for this special episode of True Crime Conversations. Make sure to subscribe wherever you get your podcasts so you never miss an episode, and leave us a rating and review on Apple or Spotify. See you soon with another True Crime Conversation
Speaker 4: FO