Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: We've got the first generation of parents who were parenting issues that they never experienced. So when I was growing up and you were growing up Gen x's.
Speaker 3: Were growing up, it was like, Yeah, we did all the.
Speaker 1: Same naughty shit that our parents did. They have lived experience, and the things we were doing not even do we not have lived experience of this stuff. We don't even understand the words.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Mama Mia. Out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the twenty fourth of March. My name is Hollywayne Wright.
Speaker 4: My name's Mia Friedman, and today we are joined by Amelia Leicester.
Speaker 2: I think I was supposed to say that, Sorry, Amelia. Welcome Amelia Lester filling in for Jesse Steve.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Amelia is delighted to be here on.
Speaker 2: This show today. Luckily for you out loud, as we are here to bust some very important fake pyramid news. Welcome to the Anatomy of a conspiracy. Also the eighty twenty theory that everyone's madly googling after the TV phenomenon that is adolescence, and one of the stars of the White Lotus wants you to stop asking about his penis please, but first Mia.
Speaker 1: In case you missed it. Fresh from his stint at the Olympics, Snoop Dogg has a new job, and that is peace invoy between the royal brothers, William and Harry.
Speaker 3: The rapper has said that he would be happy this week.
Speaker 1: To act as a peacemaker between William and Harry because life is too short, as he said, and he said that he was willing to help heal that relationship between the estranged men. Well that's random, you may be thinking. Does he even know them? Well, yes, yes he actually does, he said. Harry and William I have known for a long time now. Harry asked me to perform at William's bachelor party, but I couldn't make it. Anything they want to perform at Now I am there. They are brothers, man. Anything that gets them in the same room and being brothers again will be worth it.
Speaker 4: Look Snoop has lived many lives. I think if anyone can bring the life experience necessary to heal this rift, it's Snoop. I don't know if you know this, but he was a member of a La gang in his twenties and actually was acquitted at first degree murder.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, And who I knew is that he's Martha Stewart's new best friend.
Speaker 4: He is, but in his thirties he became a born again Christian. So he has lived many lives and you know, most recently he was in this controversial appearance at Trump's inauguration. He went to the Crypto Ball and performed there, and that was very controversial because he previously said that black artists should not support Donald Trump, and now he's all in on Crypto. He's all in on Trump, So I mean he is someone who's capable of changing his mind. We know that.
Speaker 2: I also think he would be really fun over at lunch at Montecito. I think he'd have some ideas for Megan's garden and things that she could grow in the back garden.
Speaker 3: She could roll in a nice, juicy blunt.
Speaker 2: I think he'd like that, and I have high helps that he could, you know, have a peace summit between the two brothers. It needs to happen. I need a new chapter in that.
Speaker 4: Because you remember when Princess Kate tried it at Prince Philip's funeral. She's sort of. She brought them together as they were walking out, and then she purled back, and then William and Harry walked together for a few moments, but to no avail tense.
Speaker 2: The thing about out Louders is that we're a curious people. We like information, we like news, we like a little bit of gossip, and yes, sometimes we like to get swept up in an exciting conspiracy theory. That's why one of our number jumped into the out Louders Facebook group on the weekend and asked an innocent enough question about a secret world beneath the pyramids of Northern Africa. The post went like this, just went to a friend's house and she was telling me about this amazing underground system that's just been discovered under the pyramids a couple of days ago, and that it's breaking news.
Speaker 4: And wow.
Speaker 2: Then I take a look on CNN, BBC News dot com and ABC to find out more, but there's nothing to be found. Why wouldn't something like this beyond the mainstream media, she says.
Speaker 4: Was the friend snoop dog that would be great.
Speaker 2: Spoke to my husband and he knew about it, and said, the mainstream media don't want to publicize these sorts of discoveries now. Other outluders jumped in immediately, telling her that she and her friend and her husband presumably were victims of a conspiracy theory, and it's a theory that's been around for a while, but has recently had new life breathed into on TikTok, of course, where creators are posting lots of videos talking about a paper that declares there's a vast secret city underneath the Pyramids, exposed by satellite radar. The reason that our out louder could not find this, however, on those credible news sites, is that it has widely been debunked. Leading egyptologists and archaeologists who've worked in this field for decades say it's impossible, and scientists out the accuracy of the supposed like radar be or whatever that have been shot down from satellites apparently to expose this. They say that's impossible. It couldn't penetrate that far underground, and they're.
Speaker 1: Trying to say that there's a city under there, like with people in it.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're saying there are people, but they're saying, it's like a whole world of chambers and cities. This is one of the interesting points about it me because I'm like, why do we care so much any people there?
Speaker 1: Because the QAnon had that conspiracy theory years ago about these underground tunnels through New York being used to washing children to Washington.
Speaker 4: There was a pizza shop.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, they.
Speaker 1: Were being used to smuggle children who were being trafficked. So people do like a tunnel conspiracy.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 2: And I want to know, particularly from Amelia Lester, why we're so keen to believe these days that the truth is being hidden from us, whether it's about secret cities under deserts or tunnels in New York City, And why does everybody really want to believe conspiracy?
Speaker 4: Because sometimes the truth is being hidden from us. And I bring this as a card carrying member of the mainstream media, but sometimes the mainstream media hides things from people. And the example I'm going to bring up here is at the beginning of the COVID pandemic, when we were told by epidemiologists quoted in mainstream outlets that masks did not work, that you had to get medical masks professionally fitted, otherwise they wouldn't work. And it turns out, just a couple of weeks later, it was revealed that the reason why that was reported that way was because they were trying to save masks for healthcare workers, which is all well and good, love a healthcare worker. But the problem is that the media just very credulously reported this idea that masks didn't work, when we now know, of course, that masks do work.
Speaker 1: I'm going to pick you up on that now because I think that two things. Really when people talk about the mainstream media keeping things from us, as you say, the mainstream media is everything from the Project to Kyle and Jackie O to us to the New York Times. Right, it's a pretty broad show. And unless it's going to spam, I've missed the invitations to the mainstream media meetings where we're told by I don't know governments what we can and can't write about. And what I do know is that journalists and the mainstream media, who are accountable to things like deformation.
Speaker 3: Laws, like libel laws, press.
Speaker 1: Counsel adjudications, sometimes we don't report things until.
Speaker 3: There are enough facts.
Speaker 1: When you say credulously, and I think COVID is like a very specific thing that we'd never lived through a pandemic before, and it's so easy to have twenty twenty hindsight. And similarly, everyone said it came from a bat and the markets, and now it seems like it came from a lab. Sometimes you write or you report what you know and what you can verify at the time, and when more information comes out, well then you report that. It doesn't mean you were lying back then covering something out.
Speaker 4: I've got a more recent example. I knew you were going to say that about COVID. So did you hear about the drones last year? So did you hear you were trying to get me? And I just could sometimes I throw you tidbits in our chat and hope that you'll sort of.
Speaker 2: You were like that pebbal is not for me.
Speaker 4: So in November and December of last year, there were these drone sidings on the US East Coast, and I had a number of friends and family losing their minds, thinking that these drones were harbingers of doom. They kept seeing them at night. There were lots of them. I saw videos of them, and politicians were getting in on it too. This New Jersey politician said that the drones were coming from Iran, from the Iranian mothership. Another one other sheep, yeah, that's obviously a technical term. Another one said there was a non trivial chance that China could be involved in the drones. And even the FBI said they did not know where the drones were coming from. So it was kind of fun to start speculating about where these drones were coming from and why they were suddenly appearing everywhere. The government didn't really say much. There was this FBI thing, and then everyone was speculating that war was about to start. They truly didn't know. But then just a couple of weeks ago, President Chump's new Press secretary, Caroline Leave, it came out and she said that the drones were governmental and that they were doing research. What kind of resent, Well, she didn't really say. And also why did we have to wait until now to hear what the drones were about?
Speaker 3: But that's not about the media. That's about the well.
Speaker 4: At the time, there were these explainers in the New York Times, that Washington Post and elsewhere saying there's nothing to see here, the drones are nothing. It's like, well, the drones are clearly something.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though, is that sometimes we don't need to know straight away right And this is often the tension between governments, you know, lawmakers, courts, police, etc. And us annoying journalists who are always like, tell us, tell us, tell us, we're going to dig until we find out, and they're like, we're figuring it out. It's probably better you don't all know right now. This might not be the case with the drones. I don't know, but maybe it took a while to figure out where they were coming from and so on.
Speaker 3: Like the masks.
Speaker 2: Is a good point where Mia makes the point that in the pandemic we were all moving so quickly. There's a lot of yelling now about but they told us this, and they told us that, but a lot of those experts were learning on the job. We're not learning on the job, but the research was coming in thick and fast.
Speaker 1: Remember when we had to sing Happy Birthday while washing your hands.
Speaker 4: I'm still meant to happy washing your hands.
Speaker 2: It might turn out that there is a secret chamber under the pyramids, yea geezer, It might turn.
Speaker 4: To be honest. What I heard from you, Holly, was that they don't yet have the radar to penetrate beneath the pyramids, not that they have denied that the exact The reason.
Speaker 2: That the BBC isn't saying yes, definitely a you know, a city, and CNN I was saying yes, it definitely a city is because the scientists and everyone are going, we can't verify that yet. So it's a signal of the impatience between a rumor becoming fact that now we jump on that space in between and call it conspiracy.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just think that we in the media probably do need to do a better job of admitting when we don't know something, when one expert has told us something but they're still learning on the job. We didn't know back in COVID Times that the epidemiologists quoted saying that mass didn't work. We're learning on the job. Of course, now that you say it makes perfect sense, but at the time that was presented as gospel to us.
Speaker 1: What always strikes me is the naivety of people believing that if the media had this amazing story about you know, cabals of Hollywood elites eating children, or city under their ground or Chinese drones, the media would be cloring over each other to report that right, because from the point of view of journalists, everybody wants to break a great story. But also media organizations want to get exclusives because that makes traffic, which you can want to monetize. And you know, in this attention economy, the idea that the media are suppressing things because someone's told us to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think they're suppressing it, but I think sometimes there's not a lot of admission of humility, like we don't know versus nothing to say. Do you hear, folks, there's no underground city. I don't know. I'm hanging out for the underground city.
Speaker 3: It sounds fun in a moment.
Speaker 2: What is the eighty twenty theory and why is the world googling it? After watching Adolescence, Tina.
Speaker 1: Fey wants celebrities to stay in that lane and stop starting side hustles. She does not want to buy Natalie Portman's vegan shoes, Beyonce's shampoo, Cameron diaz Is organic wine, Jennifer Anderson's shampoo, j Loo's alcoholic sprits.
Speaker 4: The list goes on.
Speaker 1: Here's what she says on Amy Polla's new podcast after Amy said to her that she had great hair and should start her own haircut line.
Speaker 5: But you have incredible hair. I feel like you should have a hair campaign. And also I always pushing you to have a glass line. Why do you not have clouds? I don't have a glasses line because I have to say, you hate money. I have a problem with rich people having a side hustle. Yeah, do you mean like a podcasting?
Speaker 6: No, this is your doing work. I'm saying if you if you sold, like, where would my line be for you? Where would I draw the line?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I know you mean like if I had if I had a rose, if you yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: If you already have like two hundred million dollars and you're like, also, I need you to be Tina.
Speaker 5: That is this is where you have to learn from gen Z.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, and we have to They don't care, they don't, they don't.
Speaker 4: They don't judge it, judge it.
Speaker 5: Well, get you should stop because this is the thing that you have to have a million, you have to have glasses amiliar?
Speaker 3: Is it very gen x to be?
Speaker 1: I mean I love a side hustle obviously, so it doesn't apply to me. But do you think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the idea of selling out is classic gen X, and I think it's part of why we've seen such a big backlash against Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively. I mean, yes, there's the texts of it all, but also Ryan Reynolds has been selling his gin for a long time now. His wife, Blake Lively, sells hair care and also an alcoholic beverages line. She doesn't drink, by the way, neither is j Loo, who also has a drenk. Jlo was also the one who told us that she uses olive oil on her skin until she wanted to sell us the skincare line. I'm over it. I love that Tina Fair is saying this.
Speaker 2: I agree it's funny because I'm sure it is gen X, but I do judge it because I'm like, what you get paid. Don't mean Tina Faye, but some a another movie star. You get paid thirty million dollars a movie and you need girose line. But then maybe ordinary people don't understand how expensive their lives are. Because you're right about Ryan Reynolds, but he doesn't only have gin. He also has a phone company. Oh yeah, that's a football team. He owns the world. We live, just live in Ryan Reynolds's world, and like sometimes I'm.
Speaker 4: Like as Ashton Kutcher, who is now he made some money through acting, but now he's made most of his money through his venture capital firm.
Speaker 1: But that's very different to selling me a sprits. I mean, Chris Hemsworth has a fitness app, Galgodott has a boxed macaroni cheese company. Scarlet your Hansen has a popcorn st and she's got getting caved in Paris. I don't understand the problem. It's like, for so long, famous people and particularly women, were used to make money for other people by being the faces of other people's businesses, and now these celebrities are saying, well, I'm not in control necessarily of my fame. And also particularly for the women, it's a tough world out there for a woman getting older, so I want a side hustle to use my own brain.
Speaker 4: It's not a tough world for a man out there when he's older.
Speaker 2: It's the Kardashian's fault because when the Kardashians became famous, and people used to say, but what do they do? No one says that anymore because they sprook things. That's what they do, but in the day they were spooking public toilets to remember that when there was the time.
Speaker 1: I still sometimes do they still take money for posts, But then there are also a lot of them are billionaires in their own right because the businesses that they've still like Skims and Kylie cost.
Speaker 4: And maybe that's where we draw the line. When the company comes across as standing on it so on two feet, I think we forgive it more so. Skims is an example, now has a billion dollar valuation. Selena Gomez's Rare Beauty is now a billion dollar company, and we all accept that that's the best liquid blush there is. When it's a good company, I think we forgive it.
Speaker 2: J Loo and Britney Spears have both made more money out of the perfumes with their names on them than anything else in their careers, so it definitely works. But it feels like I think what pay is saying is like, how many things do you need to put your name on? And I'm sure you're right that it's a gen x judgment.
Speaker 3: I'd buy some of her glasses. I wish she'd launch a glasses line.
Speaker 2: I'm selfish that she hasn't.
Speaker 4: This next topic is one that makes me really uncomfortable to talk about it, but we have to talk about it because everyone is talking about it right now. And it's the eighty twenty rule. This is a rule of in cells online, who believe that eighty percent of women are attracted to twenty percent of men. The phrase apparently comes from economics. It's from an Italian economist who observed at the beginning of the twentieth century that just twenty percent of Italian owned eighty percent of land. But in recent years in cells have really grabbed hold of this and they use this theory to justify why they deserve sex from women, because they say that twenty percent of men are alphas or chads in their parlance, and they get all the sexual opportunities, while the eighty percent of men who are not chads don't get any love from women, and therefore they can coerce women into sex.
Speaker 1: So it's like the eighty twenty rule of you wear twenty percent of your clothes eighty percent of the time.
Speaker 4: It's like that sort of more depressed and impressive. And the reason why suddenly everyone's talking about the eighty twenty rule is because of this show on Netflix called adolescence. This show has triggered a huge conversation about the radicalization of young men, how they turn into in cells, why young men are committing violence against women, why misogynistic violence is on the rise. I haven't watched this show. I don't think I ever will watch it, but I'm grateful to the star and co writer of the show, Stephen Grain, because I think he has kicked off a very important conversation at a world that not a lot of us know a lot about. I want to share with you a clip of him on Jimmy Fallon Show recently talking about why he made the show.
Speaker 7: It's a young boy who kills a young girl. I'm not doing any spoilers because we found out straight away, and as a collective, we didn't want it to be a who done it? We wanted it to be more of a why why he did it? You know what I mean? So what we kind of did was I watched I read an article in the paper. It was about a young boy who stabbed a young girl to death. And then there was a couple of months later on the news there was a piece about a young boy who stabbed a young girl to death. And these were the opposite ends of the country. And I just, if I'm really honest with you, Jim, I just hate my heart and I just think kind of a society we're living in at the moment where young boys are stabbing young girls and you know that beautiful saying it takes a village to raise a child. Well, I just thought, what if we're all kind of accountable, you know, the education system, parenting, the community, the government. And also when we were kids, we didn't have social media. So if we were in our rooms when we were kids, we were either playing out in the streets we or we were in our rooms I draw them pitches or playing keyboards or somethin We didn't have the accessibility to all of this stuff in the world that really influences young minds. And I just I wanted to take a look at it. I'm not blaming anyone. I just thought, maybe we're all accountable and we should, you know, have a conversation about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess it's really great.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, you're braver than Amelia or I. You watched it immediately, as did Jesse, and everyone's talking to you about it, and you want to.
Speaker 3: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: What are they saying, like, what are the things that people are taking away from this show?
Speaker 2: So I think that the reason that so something like the eight twenty rule that we decided to talk about today is being passed around, and there is some other intel in this show from the secret language of emojis, for example. I think what a lot of people are taking from this show is they want to s intel. They want to understand if they can do and if they've got children. We talked about this mere but I think how are you reacting to adolescents probably has a lot to do with your life stage right. Because Jesse recommended the show on Friday, it is an outstanding show. I also have to do a shout out for hearing an accent like that on an American talk show. Don't offer because this is a sidebar, but British creatives usually talk like this.
Speaker 8: They do.
Speaker 2: He's a work class man from the North of England and he has made one of the most important pieces of television to be made in ten years. Because the thing about this show is and he goes on to saying that he didn't have answers. It's not a show with like neat answers and things tied up in bows. But what it does is it reflects a whole cultural moment. And I think back to the life stage bit. If you've got a child in that demo, a thirteen year old boy, and obviously I do, and I have a fifteen year old girl, so teenagers, or you have kids who are younger and coming up to that space. It's not new to say that one of the things we mostly freak out about and parents talk about more than anything else is technology, right phones, social media, input and influence, and one of the things that this show does so brilliantly in episode two, and I won't go into lots of details if you're not watching it is not interesting, but basically, the policeman who is investigating this murder, his teenage son explains to him because the police are looking at all this evidence, you know, they're talking to the kids, and the kids aren't telling them anything, and they're looking at comments on social media and they're going there doesn't seem to be anything here. And then one of the policeman's teenage son kind of translates some of the comments for him.
Speaker 8: The eighty to.
Speaker 9: Twenty as a listen, my brain can't take all this.
Speaker 8: I don't know what you're talking about. Just break it down. Eighty percent of women are attracted to twenty percent of men. Women you must trick them because you'll never get them in a normal way. Eighty percent of women are cut off or or she's seeing he's an insult.
Speaker 2: That and explains that that's kind of coded language of the manisphere, and also of the girls using that language back at the boys as an insult, like calling them an insul and so on as an insult. So I think for a lot of parents, they're like clinging onto this.
Speaker 4: Like information we can try and protect.
Speaker 2: Ourselves from this. And then I think, if you're in a different phase of your life, you can just watch this show as a remarkable piece of television because it's famously discussed. Every episode is in one take. Acting is amazing. It doesn't offer all those neat little solutions were used to in a TV drama. I haven't seen a show take hold of people like this for such a long time, because I think it's grabbed hold of our biggest fears and we're swimming in this awful news at the moment. At the weekend, there was an enormous amount of courage of the Lily James Inquest, who was a young woman murdered two years ago in Sydney. The man who killed her took his own life, so we never got answers from him, but there's been an inquest and a lot of the similar themes come through, even though these people were in their early twenties. Rejection, you know, the idea, oh yeah, she wasn't as keen on him as he was on her. And that's also a theme in adolescence, stalking, you know, tracking people's whereabouts, what people say about each other on social media. It all feels of a peace and we're all just really frightened, and I think this show has kind of opened a bit of a window for us to be able to go what are we doing?
Speaker 4: But did it make you feel dismay? That's why I don't think I can bring them.
Speaker 2: Distress and de spare definitely. In fact, I had to watch it in bits, so I said this to you guys last week because me and Jesse were talking about it. I was like, Oh, it's amazing, it's amazing. And then I got halfway through the third episode and I had to stop because I literally was getting very distressed. But I also think that some things are important enough that we have to sit in our discomfort about them, right, like a lot of things are. And the thing that's interesting about this is now it's broken out into this mainstream conversation. I mean, Stephen Graham says, I wanted to have a conversation about what if we're all accountable, which is.
Speaker 3: A very big question. The problem is a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Always I was back to phones, which feels like this in sol the problem don't let your kids have too much access unfitted this idea that Jonathan Hite talks about, that we're overparenting in real life and underparenting in digital life.
Speaker 1: What I often think is the hardest thing for our generation of parents. And sometimes I feel like I'm a little bit of a bridge between old parenting and new parenting because I had most of my kids quite a while ago. It was before this, it was before the Manisphere, it was before I Andrew Taate and I've got a teenage son still, but that really vulnerable age of like tween and teen. Things were just different then when my kids were younger. But we've got the first generation of parents who were parenting issues that they never experienced. So when I was growing up and you were growing up, the Gen x'es were growing up, it was like, yeah, we did all the same naughty shit that our parents did.
Speaker 3: Drugs, alcohol, sex.
Speaker 1: All of those kinds of things, you know, skipping school, and our parents it just wasn't any different. So they could make rules because it was they had lived experience of the things we were doing. Not only do we not have lived experience of this stuff, we don't even understand the words.
Speaker 3: And it's also invisible to us.
Speaker 1: So it's not even as if we can really learn about it, because you can't. You can watch a movie like this, but of course half of that, the emojis and everything in the terminology, that'll all be out of date, and it will evolve and evolve and evolve. So it's like this secret talk about the underground world underneath the pyramids that's happening in the lives of our children that we have no idea about.
Speaker 4: And also as the technology has evolved, the challenges have intensified. See when I was growing up in the nineties, I'm sure listeners who grew up at the same time can relate to this. There was one big family computer and it was either in the corner of the living room or in one of your parents' studies, and it was this enormous thing, and you couldn't go in there, syrup. You would first of all have to dial up then and then you'd get on. But that said, kids are resourceful. I have to say that when I was on the Internet in the nineties, I was going to chat rooms and talking to people. My parents had no idea. But the difference is I guess that that's just ramped up even more since then.
Speaker 2: It's true, and it's interesting because obviously you can be semi literate. To your point me that there's a whole language we don't understand, which I think is why a lot of parents are seizing on the details of this show. There's a whole longs you don't understand it. If you're semi literate, sometimes it can be clumsier than if you don't understand it at all. My son will be watching YouTube shorts and I'll be like, what's that about, And he'll be like, it's about Minecraft, And I'm like, is it though, or are you being radicalized by the manisphere? You know, like there's probably coded messages in this that I don't understand, and you're like, and parenting from a place of fear is never a good place to parent from.
Speaker 3: My son was listening to You.
Speaker 1: Got in the car the other day and my bluetooth picked up his phone and he was listening to a podcast, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, what's this podcast about? Who is the same?
Speaker 1: Is it someone radicalizing you? What are they talking about?
Speaker 4: But how do we avoid the moral panic? Because hasn't every parenting generation thought that there was something profoundly wrong or worrisome about what their children were consuming or listening to. Didn't parents say in the sixties that the Beatles had long hair and maybe we're taking drugs and corrupting their children.
Speaker 2: I think that's all true. And I generally am very much on the let's not panic bandwagon because I think that, you know, the vast majority of kids are not doing awful things to each other, The vast majority of males and females in relationships are not doing awful things.
Speaker 3: To each other.
Speaker 2: But there is no question that there is a rising influence that is almost invisible to the naked eye, that we're always really shocked to stumble across. So when you find out how many followers Andrew Tait has, for example, and he's just one of the names we know, you know, the mainstream knows.
Speaker 3: You're always like what you know.
Speaker 2: And when you find out that he's being flown on a jet back into him, like, it's kind of all very jolting, and I think that you don't want to panic, But the same time you have to be alert, just to be tiny but helpful, because there are a lot of information being swapped on the internet about this. It's a lot of the same information that parents share around about technology generally that returning to a time of a computer in the lounge room meallya it might be impossible, but it's still quite a good idea to keep the computer's big screens somewhere public, to make sure you talk to your kids about it, even though they do not want to talk to you about it. It's very clear, it's very confusing. Do you too think, having seen the scale of this show and its influence, are you tempted to watch it now?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I'd hate that, Like, seriously, I just won't. And I know what you mean. It's like, sometimes we have to sit in our discomfort and we have to know. I feel like with so many things, you can get a sense of it without watching the thing itself.
Speaker 4: It sort of reminds me of how I love horror movies. I love you, I love reading the Wikipedia plots and Nazis horror movies.
Speaker 1: Break The White Loatus star who has asked everyone to please stop talking about his junk.
Speaker 2: One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mamma Mia subscribers. Follow the link at the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week, and a huge thank you to all our current subscribers.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you read a headline that is so bad shit you have to pause and think about it for a moment.
Speaker 3: The one I read, Yeah, how's this?
Speaker 1: Jason Isaacs regrets bringing up Mikey Madison's volver watch watch what. There's just way too many unrelated nouns in that headline. And look if you're wondering why anyone is talking about the genitals of celebrities. Jason Isaacs who is the actor who plays the character of Tim in The White Lotus.
Speaker 3: He's the dad of the sort.
Speaker 1: Of southern family with the three grown up kids. He wants you to know that he didn't start this. So here's what happened.
Speaker 3: There was a scene in the show.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago where his character is jacked up on his wife's pills and he's a bit out of it, and he comes down for breakfast in the villa where all his family are gathered and he is sitting on a chair and he sort of leans back at one point and his bathrobe falls open and you see his full situation, and his family are like, oh, put it away, put it away, and he leaves, and of course the internet immediately wanted to know whether it was a prosthetic or not, and so that conversation then spilled into the press circuit where all the cast are doing interviews, and he started getting asked about it in interviews. Here is what happened when he was on an American morning show with Gail King.
Speaker 2: You're amaking it is because last week we got to see a full frontal and it was you, yes, And I'm trying to figure out we were talking about being impolite you was that a prothetic?
Speaker 9: Well, because we were debating it, because we were a lot of people debating. It's all over the exiet and it's interest because you didn't answer the question. Well, I'll tell you why, because the best actresses year is Mikey Madison at the Oscars, and I don't see anybody discussing her vulva, which was on television all the time. Now, I'm not talking about Swedish cars, you know. So I think it's interesting that there's a double standard for men. But when women are naked Margaret quality as well in the substance, nobody woul dream of talking to her about her janitalia or nipples, any of those things. And so it's odd that there's a double standard when it comes to discussion.
Speaker 4: A bit of a dud d it is a.
Speaker 9: George, because I don't think that people really want to know how the sausage is made.
Speaker 8: Is the guy who does the prosthetics, the same guy he does the ears and the noses.
Speaker 9: Who says who's got fow?
Speaker 7: But in general, who's the guy you call?
Speaker 9: I genuinely think it would be odd when when there are characters in some of the women are naked. And here would be odd if you were sitting here and you would never dream of discussing this, Amelia.
Speaker 3: Are you out right?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, I've been really railing against this for a long time that we don't talk about women's genitalia enough, culture.
Speaker 2: Their bodies in general, like was that a body double? Were those really your boobs?
Speaker 3: There's things get asked all the time. I must have missed it.
Speaker 1: I know for a fact because I heard her talking about it in an interview that Margaret Quali's boobs and bum were prosthetic and cgi a combination.
Speaker 4: Of the two.
Speaker 3: So this is just true. Also, I watched Nonra on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Didn't see Mikey Madison's ba bah.
Speaker 2: This is why it was a strange anecdote plat because you can tell from his delivery. When a celebrity goes on a talk show, they've rehearsed what they're going to say, so he knows he's going to be asked about the prosthetic penis. He's decided that's quite funny. Make the vulvar volvo joke hilarious. Like this, you know it doesn't really land. But also anyone could have told him exactly what you just told him me or that, like, yes, they do ask women about their prosthetic breasts and bums all the time.
Speaker 4: And also men who lean into it like I'm thinking of Ewan McGregor, for instance, he's famously fond of showing him fastbender. Yeah, all fastbender, and I think it behooves them to lean into the double sat and say we're trying to rectify something here.
Speaker 1: I read it differently, like he is an He's a serious actor, serious actor. And you know, there is a prosthetic dong in every season of The White Lotus in it's a fun fact that I'm happy to bring to the show. But I think he genuinely is jack of it in the same way that I'm sure women what was the phrase you use, jack, I'm sure he's in the same way that women are jack of it, But I guess he doesn't see the irony.
Speaker 4: No, and I was interested in I looked up Game of Thrones and the stats on nudity in that, because that was obviously quite famous for its nudity. Turns out the final tally was seventy breast appearances, So that's seventy pairs of breast, not thirty. Yeah, goodness, and four penises. But a quarter of those penis appearances was a character checking for genital warts, So we'll knock it down.
Speaker 3: To the game of thrown.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll be pleased to know that there was, of course backlash to his backlash, because this is the Zeitgey's news cycle, and he's walking back some of the comments that he made.
Speaker 3: He clarified in another interview. He said, I used the phrase.
Speaker 1: Double standard, which I didn't mean at all. There is a different double standard. Women have been monstrously exploited all men haven't. Helg this is a topic points for his publicist. He said, it came out wrong, and I was tired. I've done so many interviews. I absolutely should not have made those two actresses, from my respect, enormously disappointed. He then tried to clarify his point further by saying, I wasn't trying to say that men have had a harder time than women.
Speaker 3: That would be absurd.
Speaker 1: Women have had a monstrous time on camera forever, and I hope to God that is changed.
Speaker 4: Not to put too fine a point on it, Jason.
Speaker 2: Bless his heart, honestly, I want to know, though me, you know how in this world now where we've obviously and for very good reason, got much better. It sounds like managing nudity and sex scenes in Hollywood right, So we've got intimacy coordinators.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the more famous you become, the more you can say, no, I won't show this, I won't show that, I'll show this, show that. But can you also say I also won't talk about it. Do you think that this schnaffo could have been avoiding.
Speaker 1: You can't really two things on that. First of all, there was another blip in the news cycle about intimacy coordinators because in the Gwyneth Paltrow interview that we spoke about last week, she talked about how she's just filmed this new movie with Timothy Shallamey where she's the older woman to his younger man and they have lots of sex scenes, and she said, and there was someone on the set called an intimacy coordinator that I didn't even know was a thing. And I'm just like, that's a bit disingenuous, because come on, I know it's a thing, and I don't work in Hollywood. And also, she was part of the whole Me Too movement when she spoke out about Harvey Weinstein and the proliferation of intimacy coordinators. Now they just standard on any movie set. Has been in response to that, and there are a way to protect actors, but mostly actresses, from being exploited. So there's this idea that she was trying to do a bit of a flex by saying, I'm old school. I'm just from the time when you just got into bed naked and the director said action and you went for it. So this idea of oh, if you're a cool girl, you can raw dog your sex scenes. I don't need an intimacy but it.
Speaker 4: Parallels with do you recall in the text between Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni. Justin Baldoni he texts her before filming starts and says, let's set up a meeting for you with the intimacy coordinator, and she also blows off the intimacy coordinator wrong terminology and says, I don't need to meet with the intimacy coordinator. I'm sure it's fine. So I think women still face this cool girl pressure to say I don't need this. I don't think it's.
Speaker 2: Cool girl pressure. I think it's an expression of power, right, Because what Gwyneth said in that interview is she said if I was starting out, it would be different. So Gwyneth Paltrow isn't worried about being exploited on a movie set with Timothy Chalamea or anyone else, because she's probably the most poweru person in the room. Right, Blake Lively maybe should have been worried the way that all ended up, but obviously didn't feel like she needed to be worried. The intimacy coordinators are there very much, aren't They to protect people from being pressured into things they don't want to do, making sure that people aren't being harassed or exploited, also to.
Speaker 3: Protect the producers from legal act Yes.
Speaker 2: But I don't think it's so much of a cool girl flex as it is a thing of like, if I'm powerful enough, I don't need That's.
Speaker 1: A really good point.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: What's also interesting, Just back to Jason Isaacs and the prosthetic penis for a second. The other thing that strikes me about this Mike White is great at getting extraordinary actors like Oscar winning actors, really proper capital A actors in his shows. Everybody wants to work with him. But where there's a little bit of a clash of cultures is that these are not actors who are used to having to answer those kinds of questions, and yet White Lotus is very much a zeiteguy's show, and Mike White knows exactly what he's doing by putting in the prosthetic penis, because when you have a show that drops week by week, you need talking points in every episode that the Internet then does a thousand think pieces about and gets buzz going and people make tiktoks about.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of a clash of cultures where this would be the.
Speaker 1: First time he would be asked about something so undignified is his wang.
Speaker 4: And that's a great point because White Lotus is an HBO show, meaning it's not on a streaming service. It started as a TV show that does drop every week, and so that need to create the conversation points is much more intense for that than it is for a Netflix show which drops all.
Speaker 2: Drops all the one he's dropping Easter eggs or Easter penh.
Speaker 1: And just in case you were wondering, it was prosthetic, even though he did not confirm or deny, the rest of the cast, we're like, yeah, yeah, we're throwing it around on stet it was funny, interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh before we go out louders, we've got to tell you about something exciting that we are going to do after we have recorded this show today. For Sydney out Louders, this is going to be particularly useful for you. On Friday, we are going to do a show at the Apple Store in Sydney. Live at the Apple Store in Sydney. Amelia Lestra is joining us.
Speaker 3: So today after the show, we're going for a rehearsal.
Speaker 2: We are a run through and we thought we'd better as a parsa, we better answer some of the questions that the Sydney out Louders wo'd like to come along. We're asking us about Friday's show.
Speaker 1: Lauren wants to know if she can bring her daughter along.
Speaker 2: Yes you can, Lauren, Yes you can. And Victoria, who said that she's having some minor eye surgery on that day or the day before, wants to know if she can come along with her ipatch. Absolutely welcome, Victoria, All pirates welcome.
Speaker 1: It's Friday, the twenty eighth of March at five point thirty pm. We'll all be there, Jesse too and Amelia. It's completely free and the link to register will be in the show notes.
Speaker 2: A massive thank you out Louders to all of you for listening to today's show and for being with us. Thank you Amelia for filling.
Speaker 4: Thanks for introducing me to the term Easter peen, and.
Speaker 2: To our fabulous team for putting the show together. As always, We're going to be back in your ears tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Keep it a classy bye bye shout out to any Mum and Maya subscribers listening. If you love the show and want to support us as well, subscribing to Mama Miya is the very best way to do so. There is a link in the episode description.