Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mama Mia. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fixed.
Speaker 1: I mem vernon now Mash London, who.
Speaker 2: You were back together? We actually got a message. I got a little DM with them going. You and Ash are so funny together. Stop it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you and me were the same age, so we just love all the same theme.
Speaker 2: Age and the same living in the same stage.
Speaker 1: But it's fine.
Speaker 2: We have a fun show today because we're talking about everything Disney. We're talking about all the new Disney movie releases that were announced at the d twenty three summit. Plus we're also going to be diving into Disney and whether the entire company is ready to forgive some of its falling stars.
Speaker 3: Walt himself is going to come back from the dead holding one arm up and then less smileys on her shoulders and gate it is finished.
Speaker 2: Jesus. Oh, that's exactly what I want. That's exactly what I want them to do. But first, Ash, you have some news from a former president.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she says, one of my favorite things that Obama does every year because he is a bad bitch.
Speaker 2: So I'm telling he'd love to be described as a bad bitch.
Speaker 3: I would I could have got a third term if you've got me on the campaign trip just walking out Google. But was a bad bitch, so old me. Barak does this every year. He puts out his summer playlists. He also does books and films, so it's like he's all over it. He should be hosting the spill, he should be contract. Here's the thing, though, you'd think, oh, you know, guy in his fifties politician or maybe sixties now, he's not gonna have great taste in music. The man has elite taste in music, Like it's unbelievable. As a music broadcaster whose job it was to curate playlists for the radio, I would look to these playlists back, oh I've never heard that, and then I would discover new music. So he's put his summer playlist and I know you've seen it.
Speaker 1: I've seen you surprised by any inclusions.
Speaker 2: I I am so embarrassed. So what he does, he's like, he puts together a list and he just uploads him on his Instagram, and that's like his little just look.
Speaker 1: I mean, he just writes it all dound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's like it's like his version of a newsletter exactly. I did see the music playlist. I am so embarrassed that I don't know majority of the songs. The only songs I did know were like songs that like my dad listens to.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, doesn't they given his age. But yeah, there's like.
Speaker 3: Norah Jones, like Nick Drake, like older Ratas, like some Bob Dylan. But then you've got Charlie XCX three six five and she like talks about having a line of coke, Like all right, go off, Barack.
Speaker 1: Like that surprised me.
Speaker 2: He's in tune with the girls. He knows it's a brat summer. It's a brat freaking summer. And that's why I love this guy. Like I don't want to believe that an intern did it for him. I just know I know in the deepest parts of my soul that Sasha and Malia are working over time to help them with these playlists.
Speaker 3: No one wants their dad to embarrass them, so I feel like it's been a bit of a collaboration. Maybe that's like, what about this what about this, And he's the genuinely liked the songs and then included them, but like even the older songs are like cool, man, the guy is so cool.
Speaker 2: He also does like a book list of everything he's been reading in the summer, and then he posted on Instagram on his Instagram stories and was like, I'm always looking for new books, so let me know. So I did DM him.
Speaker 1: What did you tell him to read?
Speaker 2: He told him. I said, wait, let me actually.
Speaker 1: Let me guess angest songs and perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh no, but I should suggest I should have. I said, Hi, mister Obama, I really, I really enjoyed everything I know about Love by Dolly Allison. Ask your daughters about it in brackets they'll know. We'd love to know your thoughts. So I've opened it up for him to continue the conversation, which he's asked.
Speaker 1: So I'm just read Good Material, her latest book.
Speaker 2: I did read good Material?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Finished? D and left it?
Speaker 2: Really I thought that that's actually my favorite book of hers.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: That's why I love books.
Speaker 2: Man, Like you just don't know what you're gonna get. No, no, but your gongy. This is now a book podcast.
Speaker 1: I would love it to be.
Speaker 2: So the D twenty three summit took place a few days ago, and I didn't actually know what that meant. It's neither.
Speaker 3: I didn't know they had a summit, man, But now it makes sense that would have a So I thought.
Speaker 2: It was like some weird like Star Wars terminology about like like.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw on the news the other day. I actually put the physical news on, like the channels. I think it was gonna do with the Olympics. There was a crossover and it had in some way in a westfield in Melbourne, there was a Disney pop up and people had come from all over Australia to get is like collectible Disney cards. So I think it was all part of the same Disney situation. They were just like ral and everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Disney adults are a big, big, big thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Power, you guys, all power.
Speaker 2: So the D twenty three is a massive convention that takes place. It's actually made by the Official Fan Club of Disney. Oh really, which is insane. And now it's become this big thing where Disney use it as a way of like showing what they have coming up. It's also like a big awards ceremony. They have massive celebrities come in, like ex Disney celebrities, new celebrities that are coming into Disney. It's just like a big convention, similar to how comic Con is and how Marvel uses comic Con to like showcase what they have coming up. That's kind of what D twenty three is. The latest one took place a few days ago and some of the big announcements are get ready for this. Everyone who's into Disney, You're gonna die. I remember that.
Speaker 3: I'm a mother of a toddler, so I probably will be very excited about whatever.
Speaker 2: I have a twenty eight year old woman who's also the same page. So some films that are coming up is Toy Story five.
Speaker 3: I think we can do with that another Toy Story just quietly. But they all kind of merge into one big film. For me after the first one, you're just like Frozen three put it in my veins. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I wasn't part of the Frozen some gang like. I had to watch it as an adult, and I didn't really get a bit. I guess I understand the Lord.
Speaker 3: Every song you just you could start playing that field. But any point within the ninety minutes, and I would be able to within a second on the dialogue. On the songs, it's my son, who's now over frozen frozen for a good seven months. He wouldn't walk around. He would only gallop around and say that he was writing s fen.
Speaker 1: It was so swe beautiful.
Speaker 3: And Cobblestone three it's finn.
Speaker 1: I like the oh Laft number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classic and Incredibles three, which I am so excited about. I'm a big Incredibles girl.
Speaker 3: Love the Incredibles. That's fun, that's fine. Good on them, three big ones making cash. And then there's Avatar as well. And I did some deep diving into Avatar because I was like, I feel like a lot of money has been made on Avatar, and I was not wrong. So Avatar one, which was like forever Ago, was the highest grossing film of all time. Yeah, I'm imagining that Titanic was one before that. Also James Cameron, and then James Cameron did Avatar, and then Avatar two was the third highest grossing film of all time. He's making bank. This is just a director.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He made over three hundred million dollars from the first film alone.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous. That is too much money.
Speaker 3: I believe it's a four or five movie deal that's happening.
Speaker 2: Interesting because it's what's called Fire and Ash, right, yes, yes, and I don't I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're in it about me in the fire.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's Ash. It's fire and Ash London, Ash London, ash buckets London.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to be painting myself in blue splashing around in the water.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how they've announced this third film because there was a massive gap between the first and second film.
Speaker 3: No, but I think that's just James Cameron's way. I think he's just a bit like weird like that, Like it takes a really long time.
Speaker 1: He does a lot of research.
Speaker 3: The films cost like two three, four hundred million dollars to make, like it's unbelievable. But like on the opening weekend, I think internationally made a billion dollars in ticket sale, so.
Speaker 1: They get the money back.
Speaker 3: But when there's that much money being thrown around and that many animators and you know, Kate Windsor had to learn how to hold her breath underwater for like eight minutes or something.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous. Oh, that takes time.
Speaker 2: It does take time. We're waiting on Kate, We'll wait.
Speaker 3: He saw the footage where she like goes underwater I have training pool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Watch it's amazing and she holds her breath for like Jesus comes up and I don't know if it's eight minutes.
Speaker 1: But I think it's a lot. It's like one of those big as numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like she ended up becoming a fish.
Speaker 1: She grew gills, she grew kills and scales.
Speaker 2: They also gave a deeper look into the new Linking movie Mafussa, which shows Mafussa's life before he spoilers.
Speaker 1: All right, you know, I fast forward that scene.
Speaker 2: Still, it's so sad. I'm excited for that one because it also has Blue Ivy in. It's just like Beyonce Real.
Speaker 3: It's not Northwest because we need to see less of Northwest singing Yes and more of Blue.
Speaker 2: Eyes all Blue Ivy. And also lind Manuel Miranda who did the music, is introducing a new song for that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And let's be honest, all of the kids stuff that lind Manuel has done is amazing, Like Moana.
Speaker 2: Hellois, Moana el Kanto canto so good amazing.
Speaker 1: And then we've got Freaky of Friday as well.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited about because Chad Michael Murray, Jamie Lee, Curtis and Lilo all involved. I watched some of the press junkets for Freaky Friday.
Speaker 1: How good is Lindsay looking?
Speaker 2: She's like incredible. I remember the last time I heard about her was when she was actually in Australia judging the Mass Singer and then she went out and then she came back and did the Irish wish.
Speaker 1: That movie, oh ten out of ten percent, it's so good.
Speaker 2: And then then I think after watching that movie, I was like, she's back.
Speaker 3: She back, and I think that Fix actually gave her like a deal. She's going to do a couple of them. So she got the money back. The bank accounts haarted growing. She looks amazing. He's a bit of audio with Jamie Lee and Lindsay explaining some of the differences, how the characters have grown full the second vision.
Speaker 1: How is this going to work this time?
Speaker 2: How is it gonna be freakier?
Speaker 4: What a good way to bring up the new title film Freakier Friday.
Speaker 1: It's freakier, it is freakier. Yeah, there's different kinds of switches. I'm a mom now right to a teenager. That makes me a grandma. A freaky scene.
Speaker 3: Okay, so are you two switching bodies again?
Speaker 4: Telling you who you's switching with?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 4: But people switch people because it's a body switch comedy. But it's actually it's freakier, it's funnier, it's much more emotional because you know there's more at stake. I'm now a grandma. She's a mom, she has a child. There's marriage, there's loss, They're all of the things that make this story so relatable to people.
Speaker 2: I am so freaky excited trying to make it, trying to make it. I'm so excited for this. I was a bit too young for the original. It's not even the original, right, Like the original is a remake, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the first.
Speaker 2: Film with Linday Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis, I was a bit too young, so I watched it when I was a bit older. Immediately became obsessed and, like everyone else, had a massive crush on Chad Michael Murray. And the fact that Who has also.
Speaker 3: Been relegated to the depths of Netflix Christmas films.
Speaker 1: Some real stinkers Slash.
Speaker 3: I love them so much to put him in my veins, So I'm glad that he's going to have a big screen return, and.
Speaker 1: Also like it's funny like Josh Hart and at his back.
Speaker 3: Again, you're probably a bit too young for him, but he was a teen heart of around the same time.
Speaker 2: I remember he was just he had a.
Speaker 3: Cameo in The Bear and now he's going to be back on the big screen after kind of leaving Hollywood.
Speaker 1: So I'm loving all the return of these heart throbs.
Speaker 2: Yes, the introduction of Freakier Friday. Plus also for me, the Incredibles three. It kind of makes me think about, like, who are these movies for, because I'm like, these are for me, And I think Disney's being so clever with having these massive gaps between the first and like the sequel, because I watched, for example, The Incredibles when I was really young. It was like a kid's movie for me. And then Incredibles too when I went to see it in cinema, I was an adult with my sister who's also an adult, and we were just in a sea of all adults plus like kids.
Speaker 1: It's so cool, and you're right, it's so clever.
Speaker 3: It's and now with like so many more films being made and less money being made on movie like ticket salesand stuff with streaming, does he have to be clever about it?
Speaker 1: They need as many eyeballs as possible.
Speaker 2: And you can tell what their jokes and stuff they use, like it's not just for kids, like they have like some sly adult jokes in there. They're being really smart with like the content in general.
Speaker 1: And it's clever.
Speaker 2: I think it's just Yeah, even all these like Frozen three, I'm excited to watch now because I know that, like it's gonna be also.
Speaker 3: For me, Yeah, because I love Frozen too. People like it's not that good yet it is.
Speaker 1: I was about to say the same thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I don't sing ash and it's going to be stuck in our hands forever.
Speaker 3: No, oh good.
Speaker 2: After the break, we are talking about a very special award that Marley Cyrus received at the D twenty three summit and what it means.
Speaker 3: So we've been talking about the D twenty three, which I'm assuming is like, does that mean twenty twenty three and every year it's like D twenty two, D twenty one, or we just.
Speaker 2: Look I was trying to figure this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knows. It's no Disney issue.
Speaker 3: So we've already talked about the films that they've announced all that stuff, but also every year they give away this Disney Legends Awards all sorts of people who have like contributed to the success and the spirit of Disney.
Speaker 1: So some recent.
Speaker 3: Awardees Alan Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey from Greg's Anatomy, Jonathan Groff Musical Superstar, I Didner Menzell, Christen Bell, Josh Gadd, Chadwig Boseman, and then James Cameron, Harrison Ford, Jamie Lee Curtis with this year, as well as alcohol.
Speaker 1: Miley Cyrus. It's surprising, m.
Speaker 3: Because you know, Miley and Disney for the last couple of years don't kind of seem to go very well in the same sent tense.
Speaker 4: I definitely wasn't created and allowed, But if I was, there must have been a bug in the system which caused me to malfunction.
Speaker 3: Somewhere between the years of twenty thirteen and sixteen.
Speaker 2: She's so cute. You could tell she was genuinely so happy to receive that award. She was so emotional, and I'm like, this is a summit that I've not even heard of before today, and she is so proud to be receiving this, like, what is it, legendary dis yinder Ward, yinder Ward.
Speaker 3: And I think I love the fact that she just addressed the elephant in the room, which was like, yeah, twenty thirteen, which is when she was working on stage with Robin Thick. You know, she was trying really hard to kind of distance herself from that like little girl Disney kind of image, But that doesn't change the fact that it kind of really set her up for life. But do just want to say that Miley still be proud of that era. Wrecking Ball was one of the greatest pop songs.
Speaker 2: The Bangers era was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bangers was literally said what it was on the packet. It was full of bangers.
Speaker 3: So Miley, we loved twenty thirteen, Mile, But I think it's interesting that she brought it up in her speech.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting because looking at the list that you ran off with, like all the other legends, she seems like significantly younger than the rest of them.
Speaker 3: Well, she started when she was thirteen, like all those other people probably got started twenties after her, So it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 1: Like if we think about it, she was thirteen when Hannamon.
Speaker 3: She became Hannah Montana, which is, you know, like twenty years ago, so it's twenty years on. It's also probably started twenty years ago as well.
Speaker 2: It's scary also the way she started, like it sounds like my worst nightmare. She if you've watched Ana Moontana, if you grew up with Hannah Montana like I did. Like when the show first starts, like the first episode, you just see clips of her performing at sold out stadiums, and ever since that day, like even now as an adult, I always think about, how do they do that? Like did they have some crazy technology that like.
Speaker 1: Maybe I just read to think about it today. She actually had.
Speaker 2: So she performed as like the supporting act for the Cheetah Girls when the Cheeta Girls were a big thing. So the cheater Girls' movies happened, and then they went touring around like America as actual concerts, and she was a supporting act. No one knew who she was. That she just had to do it to the film for her show and like pretend like go hey and everyone's going hey, and like imagine doing that to an audience has no idea who you were. She had to perform like in front of like people at mauls like shopping centers.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I didn't put on free concerts and like forced people to cove just to get some footage.
Speaker 2: And I just always think about it, like, imagine that was me thirteen years old at like Parramatta Westfield.
Speaker 3: My dream is a thirteen year old I would have loved that form in front of like these moms and dads trying to buy their groceries.
Speaker 1: Yes, get it all.
Speaker 3: I suppose she did have like her dad's billy race ye, and yet he wasn't like the biggest.
Speaker 1: Star ever, but you know he was.
Speaker 3: He was established, So I get the sense that she was probably used to kind of show bis et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But look, thirteen years old.
Speaker 3: I just if I had any sense of pressure at thirteen, and any sense of like my life being recorded and then brought up to like haunt me twenty years later, like oh yeah, like no, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's also really taling with both her and Lindsay Lohan being at this D twenty three summit. It feels like Disney has done a full three sixty on them as people in a way of like saying that giving them these big shots like Lindsay introducing Freak of Friday with legend Jamie Lee Curtis giving Miley the Award, it feels like a bit of like an insidious way of like forgiving them for like taint I guess again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like now that their audiences from the first time old enough and have kids, let's welcome them back into the fold and try and once again squeeze as much money as we can out of our little cash cows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's working because, like I said, I'm going to be there watching these movies as well as all of these kids who going to see it for the first time.
Speaker 1: Totally, and we'll look down at them like you.
Speaker 2: No, you don't know the law behind us, know.
Speaker 1: You are just hopping on a bandwagin Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you want more content from us, you can always follow us on Instagram. We post there all the time. I go a bit rogue there. Sorry. In advance, you can follow us at the Spill Podcast. We will see you back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye sa