Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hello Spillers, it's Laura Brodnick here. So we need to talk about Amanda Bynes, who was a star on the Nickelodeon channel and a huge star of so many movies in the two thousands. You might know her from Water Girl Wants Hair Spray. She's the man. She was really on top of the world in terms of fan base and work, and then things in her life started to take a bit of an unexpected turn. And this is a story you're about to hear on another Mamma Mia podcast that we've dropped into your feed today. Extraordinary Stories. So this podcast takes a very deep look into Amanda's rise to fame from her childhood to the challenges that she faced both personally and in the industry. And it also really deep dives into how the tabloids treated her and you know, the different stories that some media outlets were telling compared to what was actually happening by high in the scenes. So if you want to know more about Amanda Bayne's story, enjoy this episode. And we will link to part two of it in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Four port of a gasoline tank on fire and a draveway avenue a daily fabulist at more in part.
Speaker 1: It's eight pm on a late July evening in twenty thirteen summer in California in Leafy Quiet, Thousand Oaks, a well to do town just north of la Residents have run outside their homes to see a suburban driveway engulfed in flames. The blaze is burning hot and high. Flames are shooting two meters into the air from a plastic tank that's beginning to melt.
Speaker 3: And the gasoline tank. Yeah, there's hire. It's all on a gasoline tank yet. I don't know if there's any more gasoline in it. But no, thanks, everybody is nobody injured, No, no one's injured. How close is it to the house. It's decently close. It's about I would say five feet.
Speaker 1: One witness sees a woman lying down on the footpath near the road. She has a long, disheveled blonde wig on and she's holding a small ginger dog. The left leg of her tracksuit pant is black burnt. She gets up and tries to hail a cab, but the witness stops her. She calls out that she has to go. The young woman says her dog is covered in petrol and has been singed in the fire, so she walks down the street and into a nearby bottle shop. Seemingly unaware of the commotion around her. The woman heads out to the back of the store and tries to wash the petrel off her small dog. The owner tells her to leave, and moments later she's picked up by police, who have some questions. What was she doing there? Did she know the people who lived at that house? Did she start the fire? Why would she do that? None of her answers make sense.
Speaker 4: She got done for a dui for John Counder, the influence drive while under the influence drug possession, and then it was when she led a fire in a neighbour's backyard driveway or something had never really been explained why she did how she came to do that.
Speaker 1: The woman in the disheveled blonde wig at the center of the petrol fire is Amanda Vines. She's a twenty seven year old actor, once revered as comedy's next big thing, A young hopeful thought to have grown into a rare success story in a city of child stars gone rogue. But this latest crisis wasn't an isolated affair. Amanda Biynes had been publicly spiraling for months, and in private, her life had been unraveling for years. Welcome to episode one of extraordinary Stories, What happened to Amanda Bynes in the midnor Amanda Vines was a proper star for years. The former Nickelodeon child actor was loved for her goofy antics on kids' TV and for her comedic chops in teen movie roles. But just as her career was starting to mature when she was landing her roles with Hollywood heavyweights, Amanda Vines dropped off the radar. But before she disappeared completely, an erratic series of events unfolded. Frequent arrests, stories of drugs, booze, unpredictable behavior sparked a whole new level of paparazzi frenzy around Amanda. Adding fuel to the fire was her social media presence. In twenty thirteen, there were months of chaotic tweeting, often pointedly and painfully aimed at other famous names, all signals of a woman prepared to burn bridges. I'm Emma Gillespie and this is extraordinary stories. If you were growing up in the early two thousands, you probably watched Nickelodeon on your living room TV, or you might have desperately begged your parents to get Old Star or Foxtel Australia as PayTV of the era so you could watch it. Or maybe went over to your mate's house after school because she had Foxtail. Maybe you binged as much as you could on family holidays if you were lucky enough to stay at a motel with one of those big os star signs outside. It's hard to imagine with the rise of subscription video on demand services, but in those days, kids TV channels like the Disney Channel and cut Her Network were everything, and the king of those channels Nickelodeon, Nick Nick, Nick.
Speaker 3: Nick Nicola, Nick Nickick Nick Nick.
Speaker 1: Colonia, SpongeBob, Square Fans, Rugrats, Fairly Odd Parents, Cat Dog, The Wild, Thornberries, so many. The list goes on, and we couldn't get enough of it. But for fans, the real draw cards of Nickelodeon's programming didn't stop at the cartoons. They were ensemble shows and sketch comedies that cast young up and coming actors, including a series called All That Keenan and Kell and later The Amanda Show. For the most part, Ananda Bynd's journey to fame is pretty typical of that child star narrative we've come to know. She was living a fairly normal life as the youngest of three kids with her parents in Oaks, California. She'd always loved performing and was in local stage productions. By age seven, Amanda's parents got her an agent and she'd started booking television commercials. Her big break, though, came when she was ten years old at a kid's comedy camp in LA when she was spotted by a Nickelodeon producer.
Speaker 5: My DearS al was blowing me, slow down, take it easy, take a breather.
Speaker 6: Hang a loose, chill out, take a break.
Speaker 5: Why did I wanted chick a?
Speaker 4: Bring you home?
Speaker 7: Want a school for.
Speaker 1: That's one of her first stand up gigs ever, And you can hear in this talk show interview from when she was twelve in nineteen ninety nine that even back then she had charisma and a big personality, which meant she could hold her own in the spotlight.
Speaker 5: And then there was like a graduation night, and that's where the producers of the show, like Brian Robinson Dan Schneider came on the show and they told me there and that was it.
Speaker 7: You just got discovered right after the comedy care Yeah.
Speaker 3: Your dad in show business. You say, he knows you well.
Speaker 5: He likes to do comedy and so, you know, I've always liked, liked doing comedy, so you know.
Speaker 3: He would he what does he do for a living.
Speaker 5: He's a dentist. So yeah, well my dad, you know, he makes everybody laugh.
Speaker 8: So that's school.
Speaker 5: So they don't like mind going to the dentist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna go to a commercial. You want to keep talking, you can keep talking, Okay, I want to talk to you more.
Speaker 7: Amanda Bynes, I'll be back with more of.
Speaker 1: But a few years after her role in the ensemble cast of All That, Amanda's big personality scored her something most performers don't see in the entire careers. She was plucked out and told by the Nickelodeon producers that they wanted to frame an entire series around her. She would have the starring role in her very own show, The Amanda Show. Laura Brodnick is the entertainment editor at Mamma Maya and the host of pop culture podcast This Bill. She says the ensemble show had broad appeal to millennials.
Speaker 2: So she would obviously come and host it almost like I guess very loosely to describe it as almost a kid's Saturday Night Live. So she would come out and do a bit of an opening oneolog with jokes. There would be sketches and skits where she would star as different characters. She would often bring the same character out multiple times so people got to know them. They would sometimes be guest stars, and it was this really kind of wholesome content that became the backbone of the Nickelodeon network, which at the time and I guess very much still is the main source of children's entertainment on TV.
Speaker 5: Oh Man, this is an excellent past silent Angels for Amanda.
Speaker 1: Amanda's fans related to her on screen persona never the mean girl or in the popular group. She had a down to earth quality that really struck a chord with her tween aged audience.
Speaker 2: Think there was just a wholesomeness to her. There was and also just her del livery. She had a really intense comic ability to make fun of herself and was a very good character actress, which is something that you really saw later on when she became a movie star as well, is that she was able to embody these characters. And they used to have a live audience for the Amanda Show, so when she came out, you could kind of see the audience would which was all kids pretty much up on their feet, cheering and smiling for her before she had even started her first joke. So once she kind of built up that cult following, and also that show began to replay and people would buy all the merchandise for it, it was almost like she became a brand, and that's why people just continually fell in love with her.
Speaker 1: Even though she's been out of the limelight for quite a while, there still seems to be an enduring affection from her fans for a time in their childhoods when they idolized Amanda. Here's what a bunch of millennials had to say.
Speaker 8: I was obsessed with Amanda Vines. I thought she was the queen of Nickelodeon, and I would literally sit in front of the TV and watch her religiously in the Amanda Show. I just thought she was so talented and so incredible because she would never fail to make me laugh no matter what character she was playing.
Speaker 9: I watched The Amanda Byn Show when I was around ten, eleven, and twelve, and I absolutely loved it because at the time, she just seemed like the most relatable girl on TV. It just seemed like you could be her friend, or she'd be your friend. She was funny. She wasn't afraid to make fun of herself or be a bit silly and goofy, which I think is exactly what you need at that time in your life.
Speaker 2: I never felt that Amanda was too cool or different from me. She had that thing that feels really special.
Speaker 4: It was like she was a young Jennifer Aniston.
Speaker 1: Even The show was a huge success for Nickelodeon and for Amanda, who quickly rose to child star status. As relatable as she was to kids, Amanda was also gaining serious star power, carving out of space herself as one of the original Nickelodeon stars the same place names like Ariana Grande, Melissa Joan Hart, and Emma Roberts got their starts. Though Amanda was young, she'd made a name for herself as a talent with serious comedic chops. Kathie Lee Giffard, a former host on a US morning TV show, worked with Amanda at the time and recalled how she had an old school quality to her acting.
Speaker 5: But you worked with.
Speaker 7: Her a long time ago, did I did when she had her Amanda Show on Nickelodeon, and found her to be so unbelievably refreshing in that for inst of all, she's so so talented, so funny. Working with her, I felt like it was like what Lucille Ball must have been like.
Speaker 3: Early on.
Speaker 7: It was that good, and her family was all around her and they all seemed very, very grounded.
Speaker 1: But after three seasons on the show, at age fifteen, Amanda was ready for something new. She told The New York Times that she knew she didn't want to be a Nickelodeon kid when she was thirty, and so she began the transition from child star into grown up, real life actor. In two thousand and two, Amanda made her debut in the children's adventure comedy Big Fat Liar, alongside Frankie MOONI is remember that kid from Malcolm in the Middle him, Amanda played his best friend, Slash Quirky sidekick, while he gave Paul Giamati, who played the bad guy, his comeuppance. Overall, it was a commercial success, but as Laura Brodnick says, it was Amanda's first leading role. Afterwards, when she really started to earn herself that industry cred.
Speaker 2: Her first kind of big leading role was in the two thousand and three movie What a Girl Wants, an absolute classics still to this day, I would say. And the interesting thing is is that even though she had that huge on screen TV fame, it doesn't always translate for actresses around that time into being able to actually anchor a movie and promote it. And the stakes are so much higher and there's much more money at stake. And even though the movie itself didn't get great reviews, like the critical reception wasn't great, what it did do was actually open quite strongly at the box office. I think it opened at number two at the time, which at the time those movie ratings before streaming services, that was a huge deal. The movie had to have success in the first week for it to be considered an overall success. So the fact that this smaller movie opened at number two was a big deal, and the reception to her in that leading role was pretty much hugely popular, so critics were saying, look, the movie's not that great, Paul Colin Firth's not that good, but Amanda Bynes is a movie star, and you saw her get a much bigger international audience, and also with the kind of older teenage young adult demographic who might not have seen The Amanda Show or maybe we're just a bit too old for Nickelodeon also fell in love with her in that movie, so it kind of cemented her as a box office star right out.
Speaker 3: Of the gate.
Speaker 1: Suddenly, Amanda Vines was everywhere, having scored dozen of nominations and wins at Teen Choice Awards. She landed another role in a Warner Brothers sitcom called What I Like About You, co starring with ninety soap star Jenny Garth from Beverly Hills nine O two one zero. From there, Amanda became part of a posse of young actresses rising through the Hollywood ranks. In two thousand and three, she and eight other teen starlets of the day posed for a Vanity Fair piece called Its Raining Teens.
Speaker 10: The photo shoot for the issue on stands Next Tuesday brought together the hottest most bankable teenage titans in the business get Getting the Tree from Mary Kate and Ashley to Amanda Vines, Hillary Duff to Mandy Moore. The shoot marked the first time most of these teen queens had ever met.
Speaker 1: Styled in various shades of pink, the Olsen Twins, Mandy Moore, Lindy Loewen, Alexis Bledell, Evan, Rachel Wood, Raven Simone, and Hillary Duff filled a fold out cover spread in the magazine, a bit like a collection of Barbie doll It was the pinnacle of teen pop culture. The story itself was a series of q and as, with each of them asking all the important questions of these teen stars, what their favorite lip gloss was, how many juicy cature outfits they had heavy stuff For the record, seventeen year old Amanda had eight tracksuits and her favorite lip gloss was long com juicy tubes. She also revealed who she looked up to.
Speaker 7: Asked her who her idol was, and she said Jennifer Aniston and I looked at her.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, she actually does have a very much a jen Anison quad.
Speaker 1: Amanda Stark kept rising over the next few years, then a decade after she started show business, she landed her breakout role in two thousand and six, she was cast in teen classic She's the Man? Do quants Olibya?
Speaker 5: Do you think she is?
Speaker 7: Who wants the best?
Speaker 4: Gen? Hasn't he cute?
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Bee?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 7: Who is really by?
Speaker 1: Whose brother is dating Monique? So she hates Olivia who's dating Duke?
Speaker 11: To make Sebastion jealous?
Speaker 5: What does your can't tell you which one would you rather see?
Speaker 6: Naked?
Speaker 1: If you've made it this far into the podcast, I'm going to assume you've seen this film, because this retelling of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, set in an American high school soccer team, has become Amanda Bin's most iconic on camera performance. As with the original play, the character she plays, Viola, must disguise herself as a boy in the modern take, a love triangle ensues, and a bunch of just iconic one liners.
Speaker 4: Who are you play?
Speaker 2: The beautiful game?
Speaker 10: Bro?
Speaker 2: Brothers? Brother?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Bruh?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 2: Why do you have tampons in your boot?
Speaker 4: I get really bad nosebleeds?
Speaker 3: Do you like it?
Speaker 2: Gees?
Speaker 4: Well? Why yes?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 5: My favorite Scuda.
Speaker 1: The movie also introduced a brand new leading man into Hollywood who went by the name of Channing, which I'm sure we're all pretty thankful for too. But the film itself had clout well before Amanda was cast in it. The script writers Kristin Smith and Karen McCulla lutts, with the same female duo responsible for Legally Blonde and the nineteen ninety nine smash hitteenth flick Ten Things I Hate About You, which of course launched the careers of Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. As the writers recalled during a guest seminar at the University of California a few years ago, they were impressed with what Amanda was able to bring to the lines on the page. What are your favorite lines in She's the Man? I got a lectum and knowledge makes me that the cheers conversation, Yeah, that was really I like, good at Thanks. Who's my favorite?
Speaker 6: She's so brilliant in that movie.
Speaker 4: She's It's such a surreal perform.
Speaker 1: Here's law again.
Speaker 2: People still quote that role, you know, people say that's why they fell in love with Chatting Tatum and he went to have one a big career, and it kind of showed her that she could be that more comedic actress. And when that movie came out, people were saying, she's the next Cameron Diaz, She's the next Stree Barrymore, She's the next Reese with a Spoon. Like they thought she was going to kind of jump to that next level and start headlining those big blockbuster movies.
Speaker 1: But what would become her most loved movie role triggered something dark inside Amanda. Even in the press too interviews she did with Channing Tatum at the time, it's clear to see that the role, the switching between genders, didn't sit well with her.
Speaker 2: Now, between takes or when you were at lunch and things, did you kind of keep it up as a guy when you're dressed up?
Speaker 5: I was so tired I think of doing the voice that you know, like I wouldn't do it at that point. But but it was really fun. And I even when I was off like dressing, even when I was a guy. I mean, even though it was uncomfortable, I still had fun. And I wish I was a girl the whole time because then it was me. But but that's what makes this movie different.
Speaker 1: But if she was feeling uncomfortable, she wasn't showing it. In fact, Amanda was so good at hiding the cracks that were starting to form. She presented to the world as this perfect, happy, good girl, and that good girl image came up over and over again in interviews, even by our own Rove McManus when Amanda flew to Sydney to promote She's the man on Rove Live.
Speaker 11: You're a nineteen twenty year old here, you're living in Hollywood or living the life of a Hollywood star. How is it that you get to avoid all that kind of tabloid stuff, all that You see a lot of young starlets in Hollywood who fall off the tracks. How have you managed to avoid all of that?
Speaker 5: You know, I think there are so many girls who go to parties and like are photographed doing it and sort of I think they feed off of it, and I think it makes them feel like, you know, more of it, like more of a celebrity or something, and it just that's not who I am. And I feel like you don't need one more. You know, There's so many girls who are doing that, So I'm going like the other route and I want to just sort of, you know, try to be a good role model for kids. And you know, still grow up but sort of you know, like I look up to, you know, Saragiska Parker and Kate Hudson and Sandra Bla, like girls that are you know, like funny, but aren't sort of like you know, all about what they do, like you know, on the weekends or whatever.
Speaker 1: The year is two thousand and seven, and what Amanda is referring to is a handful of other young celebrities who are dominating tabloid headlines. I think Lindsay Lowan, Paris Hilton, Britney, Mischa Barton. But unlike Amanda, who was now being celebrated for her next big girl in Hairspray, it wasn't red carpets and premieres, these other girls are getting pressed for they're the faces of a new era of tabloid magazines. Misha Barton busted board, do you want?
Speaker 2: Lindsay Lohan arrested twice?
Speaker 12: Nicole Richie, Para Filton sort of twenty three days in jail.
Speaker 1: Luisa Hatfield is the former editor of New Weekly and Women's Day magazines. She knows a thing or two about celebrity gossip, and she says, while the paparazzi phenomenon started in the nineties with Princess Diana and the Royals. The obsession shifted in the noughties towards the starlet and an ever growing desire to see celebrities as just like us.
Speaker 4: You know, when Princess Diana, all of that stuff that went through the Royal family, I think that skewed our image of celebrity forever. There was no longer a halo around celebrity. And hence why that era really of seeing so much of seeing what the raw reality actually was of celebrity life, because they're no longer was a halo around these people. The readers are not to blame at all, but they all of this kind of behavior through the celebrities. And of course all that body image era was just you thought, the celebrity and they're so rich and all the rest of it, that they should be so perfect, and as a reader just living an ordinary life in Sydney, Australia, you felt so much better about yourself when you could see that they had troubles as well. And I think that that culture of seeing the reality of the celebrities just became self perpetuating.
Speaker 1: And there was plenty of it.
Speaker 4: What we started to see was what at the time was the kind of behavior like Brittany Lindsay Lowe and Mishabarton that at the time was called that sort of spoiled brat behavior.
Speaker 1: The headlines were relentless, one good girl falling from grace after another. Two thousand and seven was also the year another burgeoning it girl started making front pages.
Speaker 10: Parah Hulton's party fou and the star of a new celebrity sex tape that has toes wagging.
Speaker 12: Yes as it says exclusive Kim Kardashian coming clean to Extra about her sex tape with Granny's.
Speaker 2: Brother Rae Rada and I are friends.
Speaker 10: Never be did with our personal business, and I help them.
Speaker 2: It remains the private.
Speaker 1: While Kim was able to leverage the coverage of her quote misdemeanors and turn them into a career opportunity, the shots of wild starlets were more in demand than ever. But Luisa ponders whether or not that fall was inevitable.
Speaker 4: Putting those women on pedestals is the trouble that creates the necessary knockdown effects that will then come. And I remember there was some newspaper in the UK about Amy. Moving on to the pop star Amy who was going through similar things at the time and of course tragically died Amy Winehouse, And it was just so unsympathetic. They basically said that she should be dragged around to a kid's hospital to hammer into her thick skull, that she's lucky enough to have a healthy body and mind, and that she's wilfully choosing to destroy it. And this was kind of the media attitude at the time that Brittany Lindsay. They were rich, they were famous, they were talented. Why were they mucketing up? Why were they being such brats and spoiling.
Speaker 1: That magazine editors and readers relished in the downfall of these women at the time, seeing the seemingly perfect young Hollywood elite stumbling in and out of clubs, flipping off cameras and boozing Paris, Lindsay and Britney sexistly labeled the bimbo Summit in pap shots. It's a culture that we look back on now as insidious and toxic.
Speaker 4: The irony, of course, the fact that the media was so unsympathetic was that the media were causing a lot of this, and I think anyone who was in the media at that time, particularly in celebrity magazines like myself, have to have regrets and be ashamed of some of those photographs that we were buying of people like Britney shaving off her head, etcetera extraordinary sums of money, and of course that was just making it. The whole cycle of that go through as the paparazzi got more money for these images, the more they harassed these kids, the more the kids struggled with their mental health, the more they were in the spotlight, couldn't cope with it, and the more bad behavior or now troubled behavior it would be a better phrase came out. So we drove a lot of those troubles that those kids had at the time. And you know, anyone in the media at that time who doesn't feel regrets for that, they're just not human.
Speaker 1: Frankly, Luisa says, Inside Officers magazine editors were the ones making the decisions to put these pictures on page six, but when it came to trying to get them, the photographers were ruthless.
Speaker 4: When it comes to human beings and good people, the paparazzi are very low doubt. I've dealt with a lot of paparazzi over the years, and I can't. You know, it's very hard to think of a paparazzi photographer who is a good person that you would want to go and have dinner with. They are the lowest of the low, and they know that. They just prod and prod and prod and push and push and push and push until they get the reaction. And then they go, oh my god, you're hurting me, You're hitting me. What are you doing? What are you doing? Is such a spoiled brat, So you know, there's definitely that side to it where they push and prod to get the reaction, no question about it.
Speaker 1: It's a world that, for a time at least, Amanda Bines had managed to steer well clear of one she'd actively and outspokenly looked down upon. Well her contemporary's latest mugshot, criminal misdemeanor, rehab stint, or sex scandal was splashed around. Amanda enjoyed a squeaky clean reputation. Here she is on show business tonight in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 10: You clearly have your act together. Let me go through my little checklist here.
Speaker 7: You have them to jail.
Speaker 11: No, no jail, no, rehab.
Speaker 3: No, no rehab, Amanda.
Speaker 8: Bines, what kind of a starlet are you?
Speaker 5: I know what's wrong with me? I don't know. It's shocking how it's become popular to go to rehab, right, It's very odd, But I don't know. I guess I would say I'm very lucky. I have a great family, and I just have my eye on the prize, which for me is a long career, and I just I don't want to. I don't want to blow what I've worked so hard to, you know, to achieve. But I'm not interested in that. The club, you know, the club scene and drinking doesn't appeal to me, so it's actually easier for me not to do it. I've never even been offered drugs.
Speaker 1: And again pitted against strugglings dot Lindsay Loewen.
Speaker 2: And a suggestion for falling star Lindsay Lowen move into the Vine's household for some good old reprimanding.
Speaker 7: What do you think would happen if she moved in with your parents?
Speaker 5: I don't know what would happen, but it would be fun. It definitely should be some sort of reality show.
Speaker 1: But as much as Amanda denied and distance to her self from the behavior of the girls she grew up on TV with the whole time she was facing her own private battles with fame. What we wouldn't learn about Amanda until many years later is that the beginning of her film career sparked the wavering of her mental health. Fast forward to a twenty eighteen interview with Paper magazine, when Amanda revealed it was her biggest and most loved film, She's the Man, which kicked off a whole host of internal struggles. Here's Laura Brodnick again.
Speaker 2: She's dressed up as a boy in the movie, and she said that when she went to the screenings and saw herself on screen, it was the start of her breakdown. Whether that's true or not, I'm sure her breakdown's more complicated than this, but she said at the time, seeing herself on screen as a boy, she just felt that she looked so ugly and so unlike herself.
Speaker 1: She told the magazine, I went into a deep depression for four to six months because I didn't like how I looked when I was a boy. I've never told anyone that it was a super strange and out of body experience. It just really put me into a funk cle Amanda had been maintaining an angelic image, but according to that interview, it was all a lie. She'd gone from smoking marijuana recreationally in her late teens to trying out party drugs like MDMA, and after filming She's the Man, it ramped up. Amanda said she got hold of the ADHD medication adderall thinking it would act like a weight loss pill and help her feel better about how she looked on screen, but of course it didn't. When she started Hairspray in two thousand and seven, the then twenty one year old reportedly hated her performance in appearance so much that just a few years after she'd begun her film career, she wanted to end it.
Speaker 2: That's the moment she wanted to retire from making movies, and she wanted to get other spotlight. And I think that comes down to the fact that she'd been in the spotlight and in the entertainment industry since she was a really little kid, and she'd always been told that the way she looked was the most important thing, and it was the way she was going to make movies, and she was the breadwinner of her family and all that kind of stuff, and then she actually traces that movie back to kind of setting her off, and then she went on Twitter and announced her retirement. She later rescinded that.
Speaker 1: Despite that, she made a brief comeback for a part in Easy eight in twenty ten alongside Emma Stone, and then started shooting another film called Hall Pass. But at this stage Amanda had lost control of her drug use. She was abusing adderall and reports emerged that she was sloppy on set, that she'd rock up unprepared and couldn't remember her lines. That, along with her body dysmorphia, made her walk off the set of Hall Pass. For two years, Amanda was a drift, no longer able and willing to do the only thing she'd ever known. That's when, as she later told Paper magazine, her world got smaller. She stayed inside getting high all the time, and as Laura explains, things quickly went downhill from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think it was kind of linked to her usage on Twitter and where she kind of started going off the rails there. It's kind of linked to when she started having her first brushes with the laws. So I mean the kind of first recorded time of that is in twenty twelve, when she was arrested for driving under the influence, and then she also hit a parked police car. Later on that month, she hit another parked police car, and there were all these kind of reports going out there, and she would actually get on Twitter and say things like the police are lying, they set me up. She would tweet it Barack Obama, like the then president, saying you need to fire these police officers because they assaulted me. And then she would claim that the police officers sexually assaulted her. And then she would claim that the person who was in the mugshots that were released were not her because they were wearing a different wig to her at the time. And so it was almost like she was having these really intense legal problems, and she was being taken to court, and she was being arrested and having her license suspended, and all these things were happening, and at the same time, she was documenting it all in real time on Twitter. And of course she would then go back and delete it, probably I'm assuming at the urgence her legal team, but every time she tweeted, it would just cause a media storm.
Speaker 1: Amanda's online persona became more erratic and more offensive by the week, the Twitter spear and tabloids watched an unfold blow by blow.
Speaker 2: I mentioned tweeting at Barack Obama. He didn't respond shockingly enough. And then in twenty thirteen, Jenny McCarthy, who's obviously an actress, in her TV host and had been in not her movies butten a lot of those kind of movies around at the same time, she tweeted out that there were police at Amanda Byn's house and she was hoping that she can get help and the circus needs to stop. And then Amanda and Jenny went on to have this kind of Twitter fight.
Speaker 1: It got worse.
Speaker 2: She tweeted about wanting Drake to murder her vagina, which is a tweet that will go down in history. And worse, she also tweeted at Rihanna, who I'm not sure did anything to kick this off, that she was happy that Chris Brown had assaulted her because it obviously meant she wasn't pretty enough, and that she was going to call her dog Rihanna because her dog reminded her of the superstar, and Rhianna, to her credit, didn't really engage in the fight. She just said this is what happens when they cancel intervention and so that kicks that off. She then went on to tweet that she was I mean, she tweeted so many things. She tweeted that her father had sexually assaulted her. She tweeted that the police were following her and trying to track her down. She would often tweet that she was going to sue and come after every news outlet who reported on it, and she would actually name journalists in the tweets. She also said that she was going to sue her family for money laundering and unethically managing her work. And she went on to say that she was no longer speaking to her parents, who hadn't really kind of been in the scene at that stage, and she made these big statements on Twiteter that she would rather be homeless than have her family live off her money. So it kind of escalated from there.
Speaker 1: But outside the Twitter feuds was extremely troubling public behavior too, bizarre antics in clothes shop gyms, and even getting herself kicked out of a New York hotel. Amanda was spiraling out of control.
Speaker 6: Child Star, now twenty seven years old, was charged with criminal possession of marijuana, tampering with physical evidence. And reckless endangerment after police claimed she threw a bong out of her thirty six story apartment window in New York late Thursday night.
Speaker 1: And that's when she began to truly get a taste of the paparazzi culture that she'd managed to avoid in those earlier years.
Speaker 7: All Right, can I just get one, queen frame?
Speaker 5: You have to delete that one in my face. I need to look beautiful. It's a bad shot, all right, Please, you look gorgeous.
Speaker 7: Hold hold, lady, here, over here.
Speaker 3: No come towards me, No, come towards me.
Speaker 11: Now, just work towards me.
Speaker 10: Can I just get a shot of you walking towards me?
Speaker 11: Let go of the camera.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, let go of my camera.
Speaker 4: Please, let go of my camera.
Speaker 10: All right, can you let go?
Speaker 2: Mar Amanda?
Speaker 3: Stop yoa, what the hell?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Let me go?
Speaker 10: What the hell's road to stop that?
Speaker 5: Doug?
Speaker 10: Your neil sits on my neck, lady.
Speaker 2: At the time, we didn't have this understanding for celebrities that there might be mental health issues or anything like that. It was very much Amanda Bynes is crazy. She's gone off the rails. She deserves whatever happens to her paparazzi would absolutely hound her in the street, very much like what used to happen to Britney Spears. They would drive their cars into her car, and later on into whoever was driving her because she was st a license, and they would follow her into shopping centers and they would scream things at her to try and make her upset because a smiling photo of a celebrity, the reason celebrities smile in photos is because they don't sell for very much, and so if you can get the celebrity to cry or look up, set the money you're going to make off that photo skyrocket. So there's all these videos around of her just like walking her dog or trying to get a coffee and paparazzi screaming these really intense threats at her. She would then cry and attack them and yell back at them, and they would get those photos and be able to sell them. She started wearing wigs a lot of the time to obscure her face, and she got arrested a few times while wearing the wigs. So when you actually saw the wig come off in her mugshot, people kind of linked that to her crazy behavior, as they called it. Kind of saying that she was almost cose playing as a different character. And we don't know exactly why, but maybe she was trying to protect her identity, or maybe she just knew that she was going to get photographed no matter what.
Speaker 1: All of Amanda's fans from the last fifteen years watched on as the paparazzi machine chewed her up, and as her mental health appeared to be in a continuous state of decline, those around her wondered how much worse it could get, until one night, armed with a can of petrol, she lit up a driveway in California, CA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want a gadpoining thing up, but I don't know if there's any more gappling in it. But everybody is nobody injured, No, no one's injured. How close is it to the house. It's easily close about I would say five feet.
Speaker 1: That July twenty thirteen night would change Amanda's life forever, when the twenty seven year old was put under fifty one fifty psychiatric hold. From this night on and for nearly the next ten years, Amanda would lose power over decisions about her life in the same way Britney Spears had five years earlier. But are there any real parallels between these conservatorships? Was Amanda really trapped? Next time, on Part two of What Happened to Amanda Bynes, we'll reveal the twisted systems of conservative ships in the US, which sparked a global movement to hashtag free Britney, and we'll explore why that very movement would turn its attention towards Amanda Bynes.
Speaker 12: The similarity that I see is the interviews with her lawyers are laid, you know, with the Britney Spears attention. You know, they've said, well, she's doing really well, she's in college, she's in the fashion institute. You think immediately, Okay, well this is a person who must be able to care for themselves, because how are they getting through college? If they really are doing everything that they say they should, then I think there's a way to communicate that from her directly.
Speaker 1: This season of Extraordinary Stories is written by our executive producers Sidney Paide and myself, Emma Gillespie, with audio production from Madeline Joanna. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: To listen to Part two, just click the link in our show notes