Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Kate Langbrook, host of No Filter. Today's guest is Jenny Haynes. Jenny has lived through things that are almost impossible to comprehend. As a child, she survived years of horrific sexual abuse at the hands of her father by creating what she describes as multiple personalities, thousands of distinct voices and protectors who emerged to carry memories, fear, pain, and meant that she could survive. In twenty nineteen, Jenny became the first person in Australian legal history to have those personalities accepted as evidence in a criminal trial against her father, testimony that helped convict him and sentence him to forty five years in prison. There's now a documentary about Jenny's life called We Are Jenny. But sitting across from her, what struck me wasn't just the enormity of what she survived. It was her warmth, her humor, her intelligence, and the extraordinary tenderness she has for the people she created inside herself in order to survive it. In this conversation, Jenny talks openly about trauma, memory, survival, and the internal system she built to protect herself. She explains how those personalities came to exist, what they carried for her, and why so many of them are still with her today. While we don't discuss the abuse Jenny endured as a child in graphic detail, it is still central to this conversation. So please listen mindfully. This is Jenny Haynes on No Filter. Doctor Jenny Haynes. Welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's a total pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, you have been on No Filter before, sashay it. You had a most remarkable conversation with Maya. Yes, and Maya describes it as one of the most extraordinary conversations that she's ever had.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, thank you Mia. And she met so many aspects of you. Yes, Yes, she had the what we call the cavalcade of stars. Everybody flips in, says something and leaves.
Speaker 1: Which for people who don't know about you, you have.
Speaker 2: I have multiple personality disorder. It's more commonly termed dissociative identity disorder, but I prefer multiple personalities because it fits for my experience more than dissociated identiti stars. And I know that some people get quite upset about me not using the current terminology, but that's the terminology for psychiatrists. Right, I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm living there. And if I want to have multiple personalities in dissociated identities and don't see I'm causing anybody else any problem. Well that's interesting because.
Speaker 1: You don't seem to be disassociated, you seem to be associated.
Speaker 2: Exactly for me, the way disassociated identities tends to be written is we took chunks of ourselves and pushed them away. We've dissociated. They're not part of us now. I understand that that's the experience for a large number of people with DD. And this is just me reflecting on my experience. I'm not speaking for the large body of people out there with DID. But we didn't cut chunks of ourself and pushed them away. We actually created more of ourself. So we made people symphony, made people friends that would help her, and so we're not dissociated in a m push away. It's not a barrier. Yeah, right, So as we talk today, I have no doubt that a whole load of people are going to come and talk to you, because they're all sitting with me in the doorway facing the outside world, ready to talk. And that's what my life is like. It's like I walk around with two thousand, six hundred and eighty one other humans in my head.
Speaker 1: Now that's the same number that you had when you spoke to Maya. That's right, Still the same.
Speaker 2: Number, that's right. They well, when we integrated everybody and we came down to a very small number, it was hell never doing that again. But they were gone for a good nine years, and then when we started to make the statement, they came back to tell their stories and they went and sat in what we call the integration corridor, and they're sitting there ready to integrate, but it now takes from two thousand and nine to twenty and nineteen to actually get Dad in court. So they're waiting ten years. They're literally on hold, can't go anywhere, I can't do anything. They're waiting to testify so that then they can integrate and go away. And when we did the testifying, we went back to everybody and said, well, you know, you were there for the bad times, would you like to be here for some fun? And so people are actually sticking around to do something fun before they then take the step into integration and bringing down the numbers. So when you say fun, you're talking about what I would call from my perspective, vindication. When I talk about fun, I'm talking about the ability to eat pineapple. That's how basics some of these altars are. I have a girl who only wants to eat pineapple. That's her fun thing to do. So it's a bit of a challenge. So everybody's coming to do something enjoyable because their life was well fourteen nine years of hell. And I'm not going to say to them, Little Ricky will not say to them it is your turn to integrate now without them actually coming out and doing something enjoyable. It might be go to the beach, it might be play magic, the gathering, gone to a Dungeons and Dragons day, eat pineapple, eat banana, it could be anything. So for people who may not know, they start at the beginning, start at the beginning. So in your case, I'm assuming that this is often the case that the altars come forward these other personalities because of trauma. Yeah, so oh it's happening. Who is it? Hi, Kate, I'm symphony Symphony, and I'm going to come answer your question. Thank you, my goodness, you're looking for more beautiful in person than you do on the Telly Symphony, The beauty of a four year old girl. She's she's oh sorry. So I was born, and then I started to deal with the horrendous life with Dad. And Daddy was not groovy, but he's he was my job to look after. So I had to deal with Daddy. And there were things that happened along the way that made it hard for me to deal with Daddy. And I accidentally made other people to take care of what I called the distracting yes, because it was so extreme. Yeah, you can't do what Daddy wants when you're inhaling his horrendous smell at the same time. So we brought somebody who could take the smell away. We created somebody who could take his noises away. We developed somebody who doesn't breathe. George Blair West as psychiatrist, really freaked every time the boy who didn't breathe came for a visit, because he doesn't breathe. It's literally, he doesn't breathe. But everybody that I made, I made them so that they would take away the things that made it hard for me to deal with Daddy. And I didn't realize I was making so many I could create anywhere up to fifty altars in a day if Dad was being particularly unpleasant, but they would come. So let's take the guy who deals with the smell. Dad smells like the most unwashed construction worker combined with the smell of burning baker light, which is what old TVs were made of in the seventies. And Dad reeks of this, and it's an overpowering, smothering, choking smell. So we created alters that could take the smell away. So I deal with Dad and the smell is dealt with by somebody else so that I don't have to fight to be able to deal with what Daddy is expecting us to do, which for those people who don't know, is really unpleasant. And we'll probably leave it at that. Okay, we don't not go into any I don't want to do this. I just want to make sure that everybody that listens to this or watches this knows that I am going to do my absolute best not to trigger or distress any of you, because that's what Daddy does. That's not what symphony does. And Symphony might I say, you've done an extraordinary job. Thank you, thank you so much, and you've.
Speaker 1: Shown incredible courage looking after that little girl that was your friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, I looked after Jennifer Margaret Linda, And so when people want to know where's the original child, we finally let go of her in twenty twenty and she was six months old when I let go of her, and she is now. She just turned fifty six at our most recent birthday. And she grew from zero to fifty six in less than five years? And how was it watching that? It was so cool? And now she's like, I can actually give back to you guys, because everything was about protecting Jennifer Margaret. And we say her full name because it differentiates her there, differentiates her from the other idea of who Jenny is, right, because we don't actually create alters named Jenny. I just became Jenny. My name is symphony. Actually my name is the symbol for the treble cleft. Yes, and your musical yes. Yes, And was musical music part of what was created to protect music? Yes? In the short yes, But Daddy told us he could read our minds and if we even thought about telling, he would kill my siblings, the cats, the guinea pigs, and my mummy. So we think in song lyrics, right, and that can be very entertaining.
Speaker 1: A Yeah.
Speaker 2: When we wrote our victim impact statement, we had to try to explain the concept of how Daddy is inconstant so what is what he wants today is not what he's going to want tomorrow. So he would hit me until I cried because I wasn't crying, and then he would hit me because I was crying, and then he would hit me because I was crying unnecessarily, and he'd give me something to pooter about. So he was super inconsistent. But we had to try to describe that in a victim impact statement and we ended up with meat loafs. When the rubber meets the road, yes means no, means yes means no when the rubber meets the road. Did not think we'd ever quote a song about a condom.
Speaker 1: You know, your case was extraordinary for a number of reasons. Extraordinary in truly terrible ways, but also extraordinary in legal changing ways, and yes, obviously life changing for you because I believe it was the first time that alters the other personalities were allowed to testify in court, allowed to give evidence.
Speaker 2: That's right. We're the first successful case where the prosecution has been able to use multiple personalities dissociated identities to prove abuse, so it had never been tried before. The only time MPD had come up in the legal area previously had been cases where people had attempted to claim they had MPD to reduce their culpability, which absolutely burns me because we believe if the gob said it and the body done it, we all own it.
Speaker 3: So this not.
Speaker 2: Being responsible because you have MPD is utter bullshit to us.
Speaker 1: You know what was extraordinary and because there's a docco coming out, a documentary about you called We Are Jenny, That's right, in which you revisit your family home and the scene, yes, where this horrendous abuse and torture took place at the hands of your father. But in it we're introduced to not just not just your characters, yes, but also your psychiatrist and a very beautiful inspective detective inspected detective Paul.
Speaker 2: Who believed you. These people believed you, that's right. It all begins in two thousand and nine when I went to the Queensland Police and I met a gentleman named Rod Messa, and we started to tell our story and then we said we need to tell you something. We have multiple personality disorder. And Rod Messa said that actually increases your credibility, it doesn't decrease it. And he's the first one who believed me in a legal setting, right, And how did that feel? I think that there are still some altars that are still shaking from that comment because it ricocheted through the system and everybody that has had a bad time immediately goes back to those altars that hold Rod Messa's words sacred. And if you have it a bad time, you just go and listen to Rod Missa tell you that you're credible, beautiful, and also because they're people who deal in facts exactly. And so he took our statement or let us make gas statement. And then about a year later it landed on Paulstermullus's desk in Bankstown Area Command in New South Wales, and Paul believed us. Yes, and Paul has been with us ever since, and he's a magic. He had a photo of your father, Oh yes, yes on his desk. He saw it every day when he started work, and he looked at it every day when he ended work. I personally think that's just nightmare, but it motivated Paul and when we were getting knockbacks from people who thought, you know, this woman's a bit lulu. You know there's something very wrong with her because she can remember everything, everything Daddy said, everything that he did, what he said, when he said it, how he said it. And people can't really struggle to believe that. But to me, I mean when they tell you, now, this is just my One of my things that annoys me is there. You cannot get justice if you were abused under the age of five unless you are still a child when you talk about it, which is often impossible to do. And why because they can't the community justice systems have a difficulty believing that you can remember what happened to you when you're a tiny child. Now, if we think about that for a few seconds, that to get out of jail free card for every child molester in the world. Rape your child before the age of five, and they'll never get justice because that's not seen as credible. Exactly. But trauma memory stays in your head in a different way from non traumatic memories. You I can't remember every day getting up, cleaning my teeth, having a bath, or what, but I can tell you enormous items that happened because they were traumatic, and my altars just took those memories and they hold them sacred. Well interesting because Paul the detective said, when when your altars were recounting these multiple incidences of abuse, it was as fresh as as if it happened yesterday, because for them it did, it was yesterday. I mean, if you ask us to visualize the house, we don't have to visualize it. We can go inside and we can look and it'll be sitting here as real as you are, and then it's easy over the kitchens here, the bedrooms there. In the documentary, they showed multiple times us going into my dad's bedroom and that was a very scary place for us. But when we did the walkthrough, we'd only been in that house as a child and we were a child's height. When we went into that room as an adult, it hit me. It felt like the room reached out and slapped me across the face because I finally understood a thing that had puzzled me my whole life. When we moved in, my parents got a like a wardrobe chest of drawers kind of affair. It was two wardrobes on either side of chester drawers and then a built in, backed up mirror, and when we first moved in it was on the far side of my parents' bed. Two weeks later it had been the mirror had been taken out and moved to the other side of the room. Now it puzzled me because it really broke up the entire setting, and I thought it was a bit bizarre. It's only when I walked in as an adult and realized that from standing in the doorway, I would have been reflected in that mirror. And that's when it hit me how calculating and how aware my father was of danger of being found out. And that's why we have to have a two minute break after we walked into his bedroom because everything just made sense.
Speaker 1: I'll be back with Jenny after this short break when you went back to the house for the documentary. You Jenny were there.
Speaker 2: When we went back for the walkthrough in twenty fifteen. I would say that when we walked up to the house there would have been at least two hundred and fifty alters in the body at the same time, and everyone is going, look, the rockery is still there, the fence on the side, although the fence itself has changed, it's in exactly the same positions where our where Dad put the barrier so we couldn't escape. Everything was the same, and then we were able to go through and talk about what was different. But as to having a Jenny that was there, we had a front runner at the time, and she was there. And this is the person that most a front runner is the person that you would engage with if you were seeing Jenny. You meet me on the street and you say hello, and you're talking to the Jenny that is the front runner, right and everybody else is behind? So what's that front runner Jenny? Like the one in twenty fifteen, she was beautiful, she was in That does not mean you are not beautiful all I walked right into that, didn't I. So the Jenny that we had, she was strong, she was powerful, She was determined. She was the one that just kept pushing. She was determined. She phoned the police and she was like, well, you know, what do you need? Just let me know what you need. I'll do it. You know, she fell over and stopped being front runner. Christmas of twenty eighteen, we had been promised a large amount of support for the trial that was due for February twenty nineteen and in the lead up to Christmas, everybody that had promised to be there was phoning us and saying sorry, we can't make it. And were they witnesses or just supports, support workers and support services And it was very difficult because we live in Queensland. We were going to be tall intents and purposes alone in Sydney dealing with this and we had done everything that we could to get support. But you know this is something that is a real issue for survivors. Is if so. I contacted New South Wales Rape Crisis and I said, I'm coming to court in New South Wales. I live in Queensland. Now, the way that the rape crisis was funded they could only provide support to New South Wales residents. I couldn't use them because I lived in Queensland. But the Queensland Support Agencies, their funding is for abuse that took place in Queensland. What we need is an acknowledgment that offenders move, and they do it quite deliberately because you have to go back to the jurisdiction where it happened if you want justice. So if you've lived in fifteen places, you've got to go and you're potentially looking at fifteen trials and so there's not a consistence support. We need nation wide support services that can say you're in Queensland, it happened in Tasmania. We will support you, will link you in because you've got to go to Tasmania for the trial, will link you in with agencies that can help you. Because everybody that had said they would help me told me that they couldn't Christmas Week and this led to Jenny right, front runner Jenny front runner Jenny being retired and because she just couldn't deal with it, and that led to our most recent front runner, And she introduces herself as the entity currently known as Jenny because we make her every day. She's a different Jenny every day based on the skills that Yeah, right is she? Am? I talking to her now? You will be in just two seconds? Really, Hey, I am the entity currently known as Jenny. Hello, Jenny, Hi, Kate, it's so nice to meet you, you two. You know we're all fangirling and fanboying in here when you stepped up. Yes, how is that process? Uh? That process was something that was done in modern times, but we've done this our whole life as children we have a guy called Little Ricky, and it's his job to go and select the next person to go in a deal with Dad. So when our previous Jenny fell over, little Ricky came to me and said, can you do it? And my job was well and truly over by that stage. So you know, there's no need for somebody who puts their fingers over their nose like a peg when we're no longer smelling Dad. So I didn't need to do that job anymore. So I was free. I'm free, Yeah, let's do it. Okay, what do I need? But rather than saying I'm Jenny, I'm the entity currently known as Jenny. So I get built every night. So imagine you're going on a trip, right you pack a suitcase and you put into the suitcase everything you're going to need for your trip. Right, Well, we do that every night, only it's not a trip, it's what do we need for tomorrow? So I needed people that can come and talk to you. I needed people that could trauma watch and beep any of us if we got into something that would traumatize a listener, because I don't want to do that. So we've got the boys who are sitting there, Muscles are sitting there with his beat button because well, it'd be nice to beep out trauma as opposed to beeping out his swear word he expresses himself. Let's say that his favorite word begins with F and end in a bomb. Right, So, and this is where.
Speaker 1: The anger, Yeah at what happened? Yes to little Jennifer. Yes results.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Muscles has a multifaceted job. He runs our democracy. He's also our lifted, shifted boy, and he also expresses anger. And when we were writing the book with Dr George Blairworst George actually said, you know, Muscles is the most normal of all of them because he knows he should not have been treated that way. And Muscles was like, holy bleep, I'm the normal.
Speaker 1: Blow me down that well, because also there is this with abuse or trauma or mistreatment or violence of children. It's internalized, yes, and it's associated with blame and shame.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is that no matter who you are, the house that you grow up with, the family you grow up with, you think that's normal. So if you have someone who's an alcoholic, you assume that everybody is an alcoholic, or you just see alcohol as part of the day to day stuff. We just saw what happened to us as part of the day to day stuff. So it was very difficult for us when we started to say, well, hang on a minute, I'm not sure this is what's supposed to happen. And we have such a contorted and distorted view of what is normal that we've actually spent a long time in therapy talking about is this normal? Because you know, I am I'm super excited about something. Is that normal? Is not normally the sentence that you're asking. But when we when we get excited about something, we're always checking are we normal? When did you realize that we weren't normal? Yeah? When? Or what that your home life? To live in that terror and torture was not normal? I would say we finally, it finally started to percolate through the system in about let's see nineteen ninety three, right when he's twenty three? Right?
Speaker 1: And was it in relation to the external world or was it an internal process?
Speaker 2: We were studying psychology, oh, and child development. Oh, dear lord, child development. I went through that in like a haze, going but that didn't happen for me. That didn't happen for me. What's going on. There's something very wrong with me and yeah, and we went and found what was wrong with us. So self diagnosed as having multiple personality disorder by the time we were twenty five. But the thing is that a lot of stuff happens in abusive households, and one of the things that gets missed is the abuser sets the narrative. If they're a parent, they're setting the narrative for the siblings and their partner. Yeah, and well, in my case, both of my parents set the narrative, and unfortunately it wasn't particularly groovy. But my siblings treat me in accordance to the rules that were set down by Mum and dad, and they can't see me as I really am because they still have the lenses that were given to them in that home and in that family. And so that has led to, in many ways, the utter devastation of my life. And we really struggle with that. Because my parents got a divorce I was fourteen, everything should have been hunky dory, but nobody actually looked at how do we perceive the children that we are walking away with at the divorce and so at the divorce it was like, well, we've split from him, right story, But it's not because my siblings grew up in a world where this stuff happening to me was normal. It was a punishment. That's what it was called originally games until Judas said his bit, and then it turned to punishment overnight.
Speaker 1: But you recognize that in yourself, which I imagine is part of making reparations to yourself.
Speaker 2: Eric would tell you that we had a great deal of difficulty in therapy about the issue I've just spoken of. It's taken us over twenty three years in therapy to get to a point where we could say what we've just said, and we wanted to put it in the book, but we didn't want to cause any difficulties for my siblings because I love them both. I love them dearly, and we know that's important.
Speaker 1: Him trying to intervene that day that's so significant reminds me of it was your sight who said this, where he was talking about how often perpetrators of violence or sexual abuse will choose a partner that is above all else compliant. He said yes, and then he said, because then the message to the child little don't matter, yes, is that you're not worth saving.
Speaker 2: You don't matter. This is why I sign all my autographs with you matter, because survivors need to hear that message. And we've all come from a world where we don't matter. You know, we have to be honest. It isn't just Jenny Hens was abused by Richard Hans. There's a whole family around that. There's a whole world that constructed. Yes. And when Richard Haines left the family home, he started to go to our extended family and he was telling them that I was a non liar and that I couldn't be believed before I ever knew there was anything to tell. So we lost at the divorce. We lost my grandparents' uncle, aunt, and cousins on my father's side. We lost uncle aunt, two grand grandparents, and two children on my mother's side, and so at the divorce, we lost everybody. And he went and he made sure that these people knew me through the lens that he gave. So the abuse doesn't just happened between the perpetrator and the victim. It happened within family contexts. And this is something that we really need to understand because how can we help if we're missing half the dynamic. So because you were.
Speaker 1: As a preemptive strike, painted as a liar. He was already at that point, must have seen that there was something in you coming down the tunnel at him.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, that he didn't say by that stage. By the time we got to the end to the divorce, Linda was running the show. Right. Okay, So, as Boris has just said, I Linda was running the show, and I have the greatest contempt for my father. And by the time we get to the divorce in nineteen eighty four, I'm not shy about telling him. Oh yes, between myself and Muscles, we got very aggressive towards the end. We we would stand there and goad him, hit me, hit me, you know you want to Not because I wanted to be hit, but because I knew it was coming at some point during the day, and it was easier to schedule it on my agenda and not on his, because waiting all day for what you know is going to come is actually, in our case, it was worse than the abuse itself, that leaving in anticipating what do we call it anticipatory terror? Right? Yes, So you goed him and then he hits you, and he does what he's going to do, and it's over with, and you might have had that at thirty in the morning instead of having to wait till five thirty six o'clock at night and be terrorized the whole time. So yeah, he knew something was coming. Didn't help that I was. I was free with my insults. I informed him that he was lower than bats bogies, and yes, I'm the queen of the complicated insult. Yes, you told a friend that if he if the Ameiba had known prior to dividing that he was going to be the outcome, it wouldn't have bothered and this poor guy and we were best friends at the time, and it was just a passing moment, but he was like, wait, what did you just insult me? Yes? Did you like it? Did? Your father? Was he smart? My father was an electronics engineer and there at the beginning of the big computers. So yes, he's work smart. But I think that he's not book smart, and he's not educated like I am. Never went to university, but then in the nineteen sixties in England, you know, not everybody was a university bound. But in terms of my father being smart, I would say that my father is a genius at being a predator. Yes, he's incredibly smart. Oh, yes, I mean the story we told you earlier about the moving of the mirror. Yes, that is incredibly savvy. How would he have explained that or did he not have to explain? He didn't have to. He just moved it. And I mean when he would hit me, he would hit me from the back of the neck to just above where the school skirt fell when you sit down. So this guy was not just I didn't have bruises where anybody could see it. All of my bruises were covered by school uniform. And that's deliberate and that's smart. Stay with us.
Speaker 1: My conversation with Jenny and some others continues after this break.
Speaker 2: So when.
Speaker 1: When you have undertaken this odyssey, this epic journey of starting to tell the truth and finding these people who believed you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was very nice. Oh but it was ten years. Oh. Actually we went in nineteen ninety six and we met Kim Whitman at the AFP and she believed us. But we were not in a position where we were actually saying the word we. We were still singular, Jenny, right, or we were trying to be singular. When you hiding that because.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you knew that it would make people not believe you, or because you weren't at the point where you could share that.
Speaker 2: So going to the police in the UK, they chose not to believe me. They decided that they were going to put me on the stand, get me to tell my story, and then they were going to charge me with perjury, contempt of court, lying under oath or manner of delightful things. But I wasn't the one doing that. I was the only one in that room telling the truth. And I didn't get a chance to say anything because he made a plea bargain and the judge said, you've pled not guilty to your daughter, Jennifer Haynes, so I find you're not guilty, which validated Dad. So after we came back from the trial in nineteen ninety seven, we fell apart. We really fell apart, because we've just been declared liars by the UK. The twenty nineteen trial was about the unknown child and protecting the unknown child. It was never about us, explain. So I lived in terror that my father would find and marry a woman that had a child. Oh you see, my father doesn't do this random go out and grab a kid. He likes to have complete and utter control over he. Yes, he did that with me, so it's control. So we lived in terror of him finding nice Russian girl with baby or a Thai lady with baby. And we refer to this as the unknown child our access. Yeah, because once he's got them in the house, they're never escaping. The only escape out of that house would have been unaliving myself. I believe that's the current acceptable term. And my father kept telling me that when are you going to do the decent thing and unlive yourself? Really, I had that for three years, and every time he said it, I would just glare at him, and you want me to be unlive? I have no intention of becoming unlive just to please you.
Speaker 1: So you were pursuing once you had your your army of supporters, maybe not a large army, but enough for you to be sustained.
Speaker 2: As well as your internal army. Oh yes, so we got a recollect it around us. For the two thousand and nine disclosures, we already had doctor George Blair West and we knew he was in our corner. Yes, when we went back to tell him that we were doing this he had an expression of joy on his face that was just, oh, gives me tingles, just thinking I've got pins and needles in my head just thinking about it. So we walked in with having in our back pocket, not with us on the day, but having in our back pocket we had George, and to be honest, that was pretty much yet. And then we met Rod Messer and he believed us, so he got put in the back pocket. And then it went to New South Wales and it was handled by the delightful Rachel Lawson and she worked on it for a long time. Paul was her boss. Okay sot So Rachel and Paul came to Queensland to meet with us and meet with me, and then we traveled to it to see George and did a therapy session in front of the yeah, and that's when George was like, okay, well you need to beat some of the executive or altars and they did symphony. Asked Paul if he shaved his head so the criminals couldn't pull on his hair, and he's like, yeah, that's right, that's what and Rachel said, well that's what he says. So it's you know, there's lots of little tiny moments that built a bond. But the thing was, we wrote her police statement and we removed from it every hint of MPD. So so when Symphony talked about she went to find, for example, the assassin or Judas right, and she sang for the assassin. We cut that. We had to. We don't want to sound like we're loopy, but she wanted to talk about the cold, calm American man who lives in our heads sometimes and provided her with enough get up and go to get up and get the hell out of that room before Dad came back, and we cut it. So George got the expagated version and Paul got the highly edited version because when we initially wrote it or the handwriting was different, the spelling was different. How many, how many testimonies, how many people, how many altars? Two thousand and six, one hundred and eighty two voice everyone? Everybody came and even where. So when we talked about what he smelled like, everybody that lived in what we call the chunnels for blocking his smell, they all testified, and we just wrote his smell description was overpowering. But that covered everybody from the chunnel. So I call them chunnels then known either as the channels or the tunnels, which makes us chunels. And so when we wrote the student came back and packaged it into you know, consistent framework. But we had to remove some very interesting spellings along the way symphony symphony, well not that. Well she wants to write the word picture, okay, and we got piccute. Ah, yes, always it was pecute, and we had to edit it. As you can see in the photograph or picture of nineteen ninety nineteen eighty, he is so and so, but it's always a pecute, right, So we had some relling. When the court case got underway, you had to take the oath. Oh, that was amazing. The court case was wonderful. We all stood in court, we all clustered round the doorway, and we took the oath, and we sware to tell the truth and nothing about the truth. And your father was there, Oh yeah, we swore staring straight at him, and how who was staring at him? Who? Symphony was in the body at the time, and the rest of us were clustered around the doorway just glaring. So every single one of us was looking straight through the eyes. And at that point fearful or feeling encouraged, emboldened seeking vengeance. How was never about vengeance? Never about vengeance. We were there to make sure we couldn't do it to anybody else. But before we got to swear the oa's, we walked into court and waited for him to arrive. Symphony is sitting there and she's terrified, and he walks in and all we hear is here. I was a big man yesterday, but boy, you are to see me now. And once that was sung, we were just laughing and we're just looking at him, going, well, haven't you shrunk? Oh my god, you need a haircut. Oh yeah, he's not scary anymore. How was he when he looked at you? Or would he not? He didn't look at us on the day when he was convicted. When he entered his guilty police, there was a lot of media in the room, and when the judge left, I walked up to the dock where he was standing, and there was all this flurry of you know, you're not allowed to get too close, and his lawyer was excuse me. And if his lawyer had not said that, Dad would never have seen me. When he turned to look at his own lawyer there, I am standing in front of him, and that's when he actually had to see me. And that's when he saw that the blow up doll had a bit of kick left inner and also you had Sweep. Oh, darling, Sweep. Yes, he's come to all the premieres. I was half hoping he'd bring Sweep today, Sweeps in the black bag. Oh did you bring sweep? Sweep? So Sweep is your sweep? Is the glove puppet? Yes? And you're darling. Oh, yes, he is the most important toy I've ever heard. He is the only toy I've ever loved. From when you were we got that sweep, so we've had that since nineteen seventy two. And what is Sweep? I saw Sweep in a bunny or a teddy or a dog a sweeper dog. I couldn't tell. He's not big in Australia, right, But in England there was a TV show called The Sooty Show. Right, Sweep was Sootie's offside. A Sootie was a bear, Sweep as a dog. And they also had a character named Sue and she was a polar bear. She was black and white. Right, But Sweep was the one for you. Oh yes, and your father knew that. Oh my goodness, oh that darling valiant boy. So this is Sweep. Now, when we got sweep, Sweep was to shut us up and silence us after a very nasty incident in the men's toilets in London. And we had actually had a Sweep and we'd lost it when we went on a holiday with the family to the Isle of Wight. So Dad said, oh, I'll go looking for Sweep, knowing full well that there was no way he was going to find Sweep in place, no, no, So when we didn't find Sweep, I was very upset and I also had the need to go to the lady's room. Well, we went to the men's room and trigger trigger, trigger, trigger, not going to discuss. As a result, when Dad took me home, he threw me into the house and told Mom to go, oh, go and get her a Sweep. So Mum had to find the money to go and get a new Sweep on the Monday. And this darling character is new Sweep fifty four years old. But this is Sweep. And the first thing Dad did when we got Sweep was he ripped his squeaker out. Now it was a glove puppet goes on your hand. Let's see if I can get my hands to work to do this today. Okay, yep, hello, sweet Oh. I find him so beautiful. We had to get permission from the Corbett family, who own the Sooty Show ah to totally put him in the documentary. So I said, it's we are Jenny starring Sweep. But also the reason that I find him so.
Speaker 1: Affecting is because your father had used him against you growing up, because he knew you would do anything to protect.
Speaker 2: Exactly when we would do it. When I saw the piece in the documentary that talks about this was, oh my god, they're going to think I'm bonker. I do know it's a teddy. I do know it's a toy. All know, but we all know. For me at four, I didn't understand. And he gave me more comfort than anybody in my home, and I could tell Sweep my secrets. And then Dad used that against me because he'd watched me do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, so he'd lure you, blackmail you, et cetera, by doing terrible things or threatening things to Sweep so then you would have to go.
Speaker 2: He would put Sweep in the window and in order to go and collect sweep, I had to put myself in harm's way because he was in the shed waiting, and he knew that I would come and get sweep because at four and at five, although I understood that Sweep was a toy, he was also so much more than that. And of course you were a little girl. I was a little girl. Yeah, he knew what he was doing. He was when it comes to being a perpetrator. My dad is a genius.
Speaker 1: And you know, however, and this is why I find sweep so significant. When you're in court, Oh yes, tell me, tell me what happened or what was happening prior.
Speaker 2: Okay, so with how the case was going, Oh, the case took forever, but we did get we how do I put this? Paul was working on the case as a police officer. Yes, then once he'd done his investigation, we then had to go and extradite Dad from the UK, which was highly amusing. His arrogance did him no favors that day. He was so he was convinced that he could just speak to somebody and sort this mess out and he'd be back on the next train home. Because you know, this is nothing you know, to quote it's a slap and a tickle and the odd faculty, Why are you making such a fuss?
Speaker 3: Did he?
Speaker 2: That was something I was asked by somebody close to the family. How you can even dismiss it like that, I don't know, but that sentence was highly damaging. So it was, you know, drop the charges, send him back home. Well, the extradition team sent all the paperwork to London. We have some very high powers orographs on our documents, Theresa May and Boris Johnson, because they both ended up Home Secretary around the time of our paperwork was going through. And Dad goes into court and he's been told, you know, he's had the duty solicitor, he's had the extradition duty solicitor. He said, god knows how much advice you don't agree to be extradited. So it's like it goes a bit like this. Can you confirm you are Richard John Haynes, Yes, your date of birth? Yes, you reside yes? Yes. Do you understand your being what you're here for? Yes? And he keeps going in this vein for quite some time, and then they say do you agree to being extraditing? Yes? Yes, yes, thank you mister Haynes, you're romanded in custody.
Speaker 3: What I would have killed to be in the room for that, but instead you were in the room so for Yeah, So we got him, we got him extradited, and then he comes to Australia and now two years later we're up here in court.
Speaker 2: Now that was hard. So we get him into court. Symphony starts testifying and then the prosecution asks, do you have a special teddy? So she produces Sweep, puts him on her hand and waves at the judge. Because she's a polite little girl, so she does exactly what we just did to you. A moment ago. Let's see if I get the fingers in no Ah, and Dad rears back in the dock so hard that there's an audible thump as he hit the wall behind him. He was not prepared for Sweep, And so in that moment, everybody in that courtroom knew I was telling the truth, because if I was telling lies, Dad would not have had that reaction. And so Sweep convicted Richard Haynes voicelessly, and he changed his plea yes, and this is guilty. He changed his plea to guilty and have to sep yeah, yeah, he couldn't handle. He only did an hour and forty five minutes of Symphony's testimony, and then he rolled over and said he changed his plea, but again, Dad likes to play, and so he was going to change his plea, but he wanted to drag it all out. So the prosecution asked me to come into the office and they asked me to sit down with them and said, what of the chargers you like him to say it to plead guilty to. So they're trying to Yeah, this is difficult because we'd all we'd started at a thousand charges. Then we were asked to give what were termed the non negotiables, the things that Dad was going to plead guilty to it. So the eighty five things he went into court with were already the non negotiables or you're still being asked to negotiating. Yes, Symphony referred to this as the non negotiables. I don't know where the goat fits in, but we did the non negotiables, and it was difficult because they wanted to make it a plea that he would see as in his favor, so he would agree to it. But it was very hard to see those numbers just keep dropping, so he the prosecution. This was the moment where I started to feel empowered. So suddenly it was what do you want? And we wanted three hundred and sixty seven, but we were faced with you need to get it down to a reasonable number. And I'm thinking, and three hundred and sixty seven isn't reasonable. How many times did he attack me? How many thousands of times? And don't forget there are hundreds of other attacks that aren't in that statement because we could not particularize when they happened. We knew what happened, but we couldn't tell you whether it was nineteen seventy seven eight. So if we couldn't find a hook to hang it on, we had to cut it already. And each one of those is not just a date to you, no, And it was very difficult. We had to choose, and we knew that there were people who weren't going to get hurt. We couldn't get him to plead guilty to everything, but we got twenty five, including a rape in nineteen eighty that we nominated as the one that led to baby Gemma, and he got fifteen and a half years in prison for that rape alone, and that made us feel better. Not brilliant, but better.
Speaker 1: So we we.
Speaker 2: Got him to plead guilty to twenty five things, and then he took us for a further sixteen things to be taken into account at sentencing, so forty one out of eighty five. And we're like, he's going to be out in five seconds, and we're gonna have to do this again. And so instead of the auto going right, we've testified he's played guilty, let's interact. No, no, no, we might need to do this again, and we might need to be doing this for the rest of our lives. So hang around, guys. But we we chose what he pled guilty to. We then helped compile from our statement the statement of a greed fact. Now I never signed it, but he was supposed to. But you know, why do what you're told.
Speaker 1: So he.
Speaker 2: I got to read and double check the Statement of a greed fact and then the it was the first of March. Pretty sure it's the first of March twenty nineteen. He walks into court and he pleads guilty, and it was whispered and Judge Haggard had to keep saying, can we excuse me? Can you speak up? Oh yeah, he was not guilty, and then it was guilty. We didn't like that at all, loud as a yell to you though, So that was incredible for us. And then he was sentenced to forty yes, five forty five years. Wow. Wow. There's one step that we messed that I'd like to bring in is we actually got to do a victim impact statement and we decided, you know, we wrote it ready to go, seventeen pages worth, and it's been very carefully selected. And we go into court ready to talk to talk to the judge and then read out our statement. And he's supposed to be sentenced on this day, but he's not had his psych evaluations. So the sixty minutes documentary went live the weekend before he was due to be sentenced. And then oh and then it all. He wasn't ready because well you know, m but thirty three altars stormed into that room, ready to testify and ready to read their bits of the victim impact statement. And according to Tracy, it was very powerful. My friend Tracy was he's with me tonight. I mean, Tracy has a physical form my apologize. I walked into court on judgment day with Tracy McDermott, my friend from Melbourne who is with me today. She's been with me for sixteen years. When I walked into court, Tracy walked with me. When we were getting the process, it was Tracy who we went to and cried over her shoulders. And when the process took forever, it was Tracy that we talked to. Tracy has been our most staunch friend through the whole process. That's why she's here today because we actually got to see her and she was our special guest at the screening last night. Jenny Haynes, you are loved by very many people. Thank you, Thank you. I'm beginning to understand that I'm reading all the love that I'm getting online, which is even two thousand and Oh. Yes, you're nice, Jenny. Jenny saved Jenny.
Speaker 1: A line from George, your pschiatrist, said that Jenny saved Jenny.
Speaker 2: I think the judge was incredible in that she had read the material. She knew that we were using music as music lyrics as a way to communicate, and she gave Dad music. Forty five years prison term is forty five revs. A minute for a single thirty three and a third is an LP, a long playing record. She deliberately gave him music, and she set us free. She gave Dad the rest of his life in prison, which he's not enjoying. By the way, of course, that makes me sus said, oh yeah, but she gave me my life back, and I've gone and I've made as much of it as I possibly can. Sure, we've got disabilities and mobility issues and pain issues and all the consequences of the happening to me, you know, all those delightful things that people don't think about when they think about abuse. I think abuse, Oh, well, you know that happens. And it's over now. Yes, No, I've got a colost to me for the rest of my life. It's not over yet. Thank you so much, my pleasure for your sharing your.
Speaker 1: Story and for your valiance. Thank you, and for your humor and for your grace and for your courage.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's I did not expect this, not at all. I just I waive my right to anonymity so he would be Richard John Haynes and not a seventy four year old man. That's as far as I thought. Yes, he never thought of this. I never envisaged this, and now we have the platform, the space to validate other people who have MPDDD other systems, and in doing the premierees, we've met some incredibly courageous people who've come to tell me I'm a system and it's beautiful. I walked into court in two thousand and nine being the only person in my world that had did and I hid it from so many people. And I'm hiding it now. And I'm going to get on the flight to Brisbane this afternoon having met forty systems, forty over the last week, and how did child? And they're just the ones that spoke to me. That doesn't include these systems that were in that in those screenings not saying anything to me. And I've had the opportunity to validate them all and say exactly what I'm going to say. I believe you, I see you. What happened to you is real, what happened to you matters, and above all, you matter. I see you, I love you.
Speaker 4: You matter, beautiful, Thank you, thank you. Oh, I'm going to hug you if I may, you may all of it.
Speaker 2: All of you. Yes, I don't want to beat up that.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I have thought about this conversation a lot since we recorded it, not just because of the scale of what Jenny Haynes survived, but because of the humanity she brings to talking about it and the extraordinary compassion she holds for every part.
Speaker 2: Of herself that helped her survive.
Speaker 1: After sitting across from Jenny, I can honestly say she's one of the most remarkable people I've ever met. Her story is now the subject of the documentary We Are Jenny on SBS. We've put details in the show notes as well as resources. If this episode brought anything up for you, support is available, and if you'd like to hear more conversations like this one, follow no Filter wherever you get your podcasts. I'm Kate Lainebrook, and I'll be back next Monday with another incredible conversation