Speaker 1: So much you're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gadigul people of the Eur Nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander cultures.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: Everyone, my name's Cassie and I'm a producer here at Mamma Mia and I'm dropping in your feeds not with a new episode of Help I Have a Teenager, but with a bonus episode from our daily beauty podcast called You Beauty. And the reason I'm doing this is because for the past few weeks we've been rounding up gifts for a series of holiday gift guides. We've covered everything from your mother figures, your father figures, your friends, your co workers, and this week we are tackling the very picky and very hard to buy for category and that is kids, tweens and teens. We all know that teens are impossible to buy for. Little kids can be tricky as well, so our You Beauty hosts Kelly and Sarah Marie have rounded up a bunch of incredible beauty gifts from bougie to budget and we thought you'd enjoy it, so have a listen.
Speaker 1: Makeup is my therapy.
Speaker 5: I'm in love, I'm obsessed, and I don't even feel.
Speaker 6: Guilty of body.
Speaker 5: Hello and welcome to you Beauty, the daily podcast for your Face.
Speaker 6: I am Sarah Marie and I'm Kelly mccaren.
Speaker 5: And this is In Her Bag, the show where we talk all things make up, products, tools and techniques. Plus I share all my tips and tricks from my many, many, many many donkeys a year in the beauty industry, along with my co host, who is an absolute makeup fiend, Kelly.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 3: Today, we are back with the next installment of our Christmas gift guides.
Speaker 1: Because it's the most wonderful time of the year.
Speaker 3: We've already done advent calendars, gifts for your mother figure, and gifts for the men. Today we are talking about the kids and the teens in your life.
Speaker 5: Little ones and teens can be tough to by four, they're super picky or interest change every five minutes like it's crazy, exactly.
Speaker 3: So we've done some research, We've found the goodies, and we're breaking it all down for you, from toddlers to tweens to TikTok obsessed teenagers. In the somewhat beauty category, we have gone completely rogue.
Speaker 1: It's still beauty.
Speaker 6: I had to find the liner in my back. What's in the back, Kelly, you've got your lists.
Speaker 5: We've got same kind of concept, bougie and budget. We've got kids, teen girls and teen boys. So what have you got on your list today?
Speaker 3: So starting off with kids a little kids under twelve, My spendy option is a really good quality lifelong hair brush. Yes, so the first one that I thought of. I've never actually tried, but I know Lee always talks about that she's had her Mason Pearson brush for as long as she can remember.
Speaker 1: So I thought, what a beautiful gift for a little girl.
Speaker 3: Granted they're not allowed to take it out of the house, so they start at about one hundred and fifty dollars like.
Speaker 6: They are expansive.
Speaker 3: But this is the sort of brush that you have from when they're a little kid, when they're old. Unless you lose it, it's with you forever. You can get it in a bunch of different colors. You can get it with a bunch of different bristle styles, depending on your hair texture.
Speaker 1: You could then go get it with her name on it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's not I just thought that would be so beautiful and something that she will have forever. And it's kind of like you're spending money, but you're spending something on quality that she will have forever.
Speaker 5: I think it's also a good one to receive. This kid's always complained about the hair, like it hurts the hair. The brushing is.
Speaker 3: Exactly And you know, I know that aunties and uncles they generally like to buy something quite nice, like I had a beautiful gold bracelet with like my name when I've still got it that I got for my christening. So I guess it's something like that. And to be fair, listen, it's probably really not going to impress the little kid, but you know what, it's not always about them. If you do want to impress them, may I suggest you go to Kmart.
Speaker 1: May I suggest that you.
Speaker 3: Get your little tooty and race them on down to Kmart and have a look at the little kid's collection that they have got for Christmas, because it is so cute and it's so affordable. So this is obviously for my budget gift option. They have got the most age appropriate gift options for little kids. It's proper like a little cute kid stuff, but that they can have fun and play and like maybe do their nails or their different hair ties.
Speaker 1: And that's a lot of thing.
Speaker 5: Bang for your buck from Kmart with this too. It's hard actually to spend. I went shopping for a birthday and my husband's like, I said, I'm going to Kmart.
Speaker 6: What's your budget? And he goes, but like, what one hundred and one fifty? I said, mate, I'm not buying Kmart, Like, you have no idea.
Speaker 5: I could buy the entire beauty section for that section for that much money.
Speaker 3: Like, look at this little one of those pencil cases, a unicorn pencil case, and it's got those little bobble things on it.
Speaker 6: They're poppets.
Speaker 3: They pop.
Speaker 1: Oh they're called poppets, Okay that the little kids like to pop.
Speaker 3: And in it you've got like a couple of little kid friendly beauty products and it's twelve dollars.
Speaker 6: That's actually real, So go and have a look.
Speaker 1: They honestly have the cutest little things for.
Speaker 6: Kids in a corn on it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just so perfect.
Speaker 3: Another thing to note, like if we're bringing things back to beauty is. When I was having a look at Kmart, I actually wanted to get a bunch of these things because they were so cute, and I thought, oh, well, I'll just bring them in for show and tell them then I'll give them to my niece for Christmas. But then I thought, oh, I've never actually had that conversation with my sister before. I don't know if she's okay with little girl eyeshadows and nail varnishes and that sort of thing. I know that she doesn't care if she plays with mine at home, but I don't know if she wants to have her own.
Speaker 6: You know, I've.
Speaker 5: Actually made that mistake where I've given my friend's daughter like beauty stuff in saying that it was an all natural child's safe type one.
Speaker 6: But her father was furious. Yeah, yeah, it's not even about her. Mum was like, it's just.
Speaker 3: That they might not want them playing with makeup at such young age exactly, because if it was me, I couldn't care less. But then you've got to consider other people and what they think and want to. Like, I've got some values with toys. I don't know if values is the right word that other people would be like that makes zero sense, but to me it perfectly does. So also keep that in mind when shopping whatever category it is.
Speaker 5: Yes, double check with the parents first. If you're not sure, you're not sure.
Speaker 3: Next up, for teen girls, what I would suggest for a bougie option is having a look and actually getting the teen girls some cool sunscreen products or SBF products. So have a look at brands like Naked Sundays or Ultraviolet, because I personally just don't think that teens need all of these skincare and beauty and body products that TikTok is kind of like blowing up. But I do get that they like cool products and that they want to be cool, So why not make it something that they have to use and that you want to encourage them to use, and they will just feel so cool, you know, be so hip and happening or whatever the youth these days say. Aha, if you get them like some really nice products from Naked Sundays are Ultraviolet, it's the packaging's really cool, the formulas are beautiful. So definitely have a look at those two brands. And then my budget option, if you are going to get them something, what about the little Leneese lip mask?
Speaker 6: It's nice.
Speaker 3: This is thirty one dollars from Sephora. It's called the Midnight Minis. Actually hear it from a Door beauty as well, and it's got five of the little flavors in the cult favorite viral product, Thelenige Lip Mask. Now, these will be known by all tweens and teens, I think because it's like such a big product and it's so viral. They've got five yummy flavors, it's a beautiful product. It's not actually makeup or anything. It's just going to hydrate their skin and they will love having it in their little school bag.
Speaker 5: I think that's a pretty good I Acually, if you've got like the older teens, it's like, you know, you don't want to get them something too young but age like.
Speaker 6: They don't like the things that they're not going to wear. The rainbow pouch. Yes, it's a nice in between er for sure.
Speaker 3: And I get that came up has the dupes for all of the cool products that they want.
Speaker 1: But I know that if I was a teenager, I don't want a jube for something.
Speaker 6: Yeah you kind of want to know, like just be cool and have different stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, Yeah, let's not aim for that, all right, for teen boys, my bougie option, it's actually not bougie, but it would be bougie because we've got to organize shipping, so either on Amazon or actually directly from the US. I assume from what I've heard this is very hard because I don't have teen boys to talk to.
Speaker 1: But he's blowing up at the moment. Jake Paul.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wow, some people might not know who he is. He's a huge vlogger for teen boys. So he's released like a bodyline.
Speaker 1: It's called W simply W.
Speaker 3: So everything starts at about seven dollars, but then you need to take into account conversion rates and shipping it in yes, but yeah, I just know that anything that he touches teen boys love.
Speaker 1: If you look at those energy drinks that.
Speaker 3: They lining up and spending like sixteen dollars on and listen. Apparently you're not supposed to say this because in the producers notes she said no hygiene products. But my budget option is getting them some Mitchen because teen boys are foul and they smell, so get them some clinical deodorant.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's rude. Nothing says oh thank you, I love you. So much that they don't smell. Deodorant is a Christmas gift?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: Is really? That's one. It's clinical something protection.
Speaker 3: That's what all teenage boys should expect for evermore to get from me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's something Mitch.
Speaker 3: Al right, coming up after the break, Sarah Marie is going to go through her list.
Speaker 1: All right, what your option.
Speaker 3: We're still having a bit of a chuckle about forever more teenage boys getting deodorant from Arnie kel What a bitch? Okay, what have you got in your bags?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I went a little bit crazy this time because I had so many thoughts in my head.
Speaker 6: Okay, so four kids.
Speaker 5: For the young kids, I've got Honeysticks Ultimate Bath Fun Set. These are forty six ninety five. Okay, so this come with those crayons that you can fun I want to play with, and you got bath collar drops so you can drop it in the bath and it colors the bath. So it's all about bathtime fun. It's so so cute. I think for the price, it's good. The packaging's really nice again you know.
Speaker 6: Topic three sort of stuff. I know, right, it's so so good.
Speaker 5: And then you can just easily wash it off the bath like no drummers. Now we have the budget option, which is the Mermaid hair gem stamper.
Speaker 6: So these are cute because who doesn't love a little spark.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was thirty four dollars, it's ten dollars twenty.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's so good. Canned by refills.
Speaker 5: But I think it's so cute because you basically just clipt the gems into the hair, so.
Speaker 3: They would have to separate the fun and then you know they're gonna play with your hair.
Speaker 1: They're putting the gems in your hair.
Speaker 6: You'll end up with gems in your hair.
Speaker 3: I'll get a level when people play with my hair. All right, what are we getting for the teen girl?
Speaker 5: Okay, so guys, you know I've got a very big family, especially the in laws, the group chats and stuff.
Speaker 3: I can't I don't even want to imagine how many people you have to shop for.
Speaker 6: It's insane. It's too much.
Speaker 5: So I asked my niece Rara her name's Ray, for some gift ideas. Along with what I had thought was a good gift idea.
Speaker 6: She thinks the Billie Eilish edp one hundred mil.
Speaker 5: It's a two pack it's like a god's really got really cool packaging, like the body.
Speaker 6: A lot of the girls are really liking that. That's one hundred and five dollars.
Speaker 5: You can buy it for eighty four dollars at price line. The oh Flossy skin Care. Okay, so this is something that I found a really good teen skin essential starter kit, So it's a really nice one. Like you said, teenagers are getting into skincare in a way that's actually quite damaging for their skin, like.
Speaker 1: An age using retinol. No, thank yeah, exactly, So it's very important.
Speaker 6: I think if they are into skincare, you should introduce them into.
Speaker 1: Something it's developed for their skins.
Speaker 5: Exactly, exactly, not something that's developed for like an adult someone our age or older and they're using it and it's completely just ruining what their skin's like.
Speaker 6: So that is sixty nine ninety five.
Speaker 5: So those two, I think as a boogie option is pretty good for Christmas.
Speaker 6: Like I'd be happy with something like that. Now, the budget option, I.
Speaker 5: Thought this was amazing because this is something, Oh you're eyeing it up, this is something that could be for a teen girl, but I myself would absolutely laugh. So nude by nature. This is their brush kit, is their Christmas brush kit. But look at the packaging first of all, So it's forty four ninety five. It is currently in Chemist Warehouse for thirty seven ninety nine. So you've got this brush container where it holds.
Speaker 6: All your brushes. Look, it's like velvet inside.
Speaker 1: Oh my very The way they're packaged is great.
Speaker 6: You're not going to ruin your brushes.
Speaker 5: And it also comes with a bitty sponge and you've got these gorgeous brushes. Texture of the brushes are great, very soft, nice and fluffy.
Speaker 1: I love. I love the colors.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: That is stunning. What a beautiful gift.
Speaker 5: So absolutely a great teen gift idea that's budget. But I'm telling you, man, brushes have come a long way since I was a makeup artist. There's no way you would a minute and look at the inside. It's beautiful, like beautiful.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 1: I want that for me, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Like, it's not necessarily a teen gift, it's something just if you need good brushes. Yeah, it's perfect. And my brushes are currently in something like a cylinder like this, but it's not as nice as this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the brushes are great, So absolutely love that. So I think that's a really good budget gift idea because you know, under forty bucks.
Speaker 3: Really Okay, I'd like to know what you happened to find for a teenage boy.
Speaker 6: So for a teenage what Aunt.
Speaker 1: Sarah getting the teenage boy?
Speaker 3: Aren't kels giving them a lecture about their stinky pits?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and giving them mitcham.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, Auntie Sarah's got the Ultimate Skincare Kit for teenage Boys is literally what it's called.
Speaker 6: It's one hundred and five dollars.
Speaker 5: You get a body gel, you've got a cleanser, you've got spot treatment and SBF in there.
Speaker 6: So it's one hundred and five dollars again.
Speaker 1: Like the anti acne sunscreen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that they label it like that. I don't know what that necessary, probably.
Speaker 1: Having a salicelic acid or something in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the brand is Sam and Joe, and I love again that it's designed for young skins because teenage boys, teenage girls, the skins are so delicate. You know, everyone's going through their own like breakouts and things. But you know, like back in the day, they'd be clossial.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like roll actroactive. It's like for acting in that it's like drying them out. It's not about that. You kind of just want to get them.
Speaker 5: In something that's healthy for their skin. The next one, so this is Parker a bunt. It's called Invictus. It's a recommendation by my nephew because he uses this fragrance. One hundred mills was one hundred and sixty six dollars. It is ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents at chemist Warehouse at the moment. Smells lovely and I love the way the bottle looks. It kind of looks like a trophy. So it's a really good one for a teenage boy.
Speaker 3: I feel so uncomfortable that teenage boys wearing Colonne, because when I smell a nice clone on someone, I turn around to have.
Speaker 1: A look, like thinking, oh, who's this sexy dude?
Speaker 3: If I turned around there was a teenage boy there, I would have an actual heart attack.
Speaker 5: Hi, Aunty, it's me, honey, Sarah got me this.
Speaker 1: I went up with your mitcham Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 5: The budget option here, I've not smelt this. I had to find a budget option. My nephew was like, listen, you can get a lot of colognes from under.
Speaker 6: Like fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I was like, all right, fair enough. So I had a little research. This seems to come up as.
Speaker 6: A popular one and a lot of good reviews.
Speaker 5: Yes, so Nordica Voyage a de toilette the one hundred mil. Don't pay seventy two dollars, it says here on Chemist's warehouse. It is nineteen dollars and ninety nine cents for one hundred mel ett for a teenager. I think that's amazing. You don't have to go like very expensive. It's a light fragrance. I hate when like young kids are wearing.
Speaker 1: This, anyone's wearing strong fragrance.
Speaker 6: It's too much.
Speaker 5: Package is nice, nice light and ar blue kind of thing, and it's a really good price. And I think it seems to be, like you said, lots of good reviews, so I think it's a nice safe one to go for.
Speaker 6: Budget for fragrances.
Speaker 3: Okay, next up, things to avoid when it comes to gift giving. Sarah Marie, what is the silliest gift you gave pre kids? Because I've got one in my mind and I want to know if you can top mine.
Speaker 5: All right, So basically all I thought was I want to get something big.
Speaker 6: It makes a lot of noise.
Speaker 5: It was like this When I say giant robot, I'm talking like it came up to my waist.
Speaker 6: It was like you need to use a.
Speaker 5: Remote control to control it. It like shot things out of its hands. And it was so loud, like the music and everything it played was so loud. So not only like now as a parent, I'm like, oh my god, you can't store that anywhere.
Speaker 6: I would have to learn how to use this crap. The kid was maybe three. It wasn't even like an older kid.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's amazing. Think about what the parent is like. So I'm the same in terms of space, Like I would hate someone to give me something big because we don't have the space.
Speaker 1: But I actually don't care about noise.
Speaker 6: So maybe I can get you the noisy noisy gifts. Yeah, I have to make it small, Yeah, just a small drum kit. Okay, Yeah it was too big. It was noisy as possible.
Speaker 3: My mom once gave like before she had kids, she gave her nephew a cat.
Speaker 6: What a cat?
Speaker 3: That is the big guest no, no, no pets, no pets. That needs to be something that the mom and dad get, yes, and they need to discuss it between them.
Speaker 1: So and my mom when we thought about that later in life, she was like, no one ever said anything like wouldn't you be like what?
Speaker 3: I also gave everyone with a kid in my life one year. I like heard it on this podcast that this book was like so good for kids and because it was like really good for their development and like teaching them about different emotions and life. So I ordered this book on Amazon, five different copies for everyone with a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh my very word.
Speaker 3: Someone messaged me a little bit after Christmas and was like, well, did.
Speaker 1: You have a look at this book?
Speaker 5: What did you get?
Speaker 3: It was like a death book. The young boy's brother got hit by a bus and they were blood in my book, God, it was so not appropriate for little kids, and that's what I gifted everyone.
Speaker 1: Just check with the parents even if you're unsure.
Speaker 3: So like, yes, slime or any messy craft stuff like glitter.
Speaker 5: Glitter and slime, but I just feel like glitter I can vacuum. Slime will get into like your rug and your couch and if they have it on their hands, Oh, couch, couch like it's too much.
Speaker 3: Other no nos are overly complicated toys. So anything that you're going to have to spend three hours building, yes, because that's just going to annoy the children and annoy you because you have to do it, or you know, you get them something that needs batteries without batteries because you're just assuming that people have batteries at home.
Speaker 6: That's blasphemous, it is ridiculous. That's something to give someone you hate.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we could go on about what not to do for a very long time, but we hope that we've given you just a little bit of food for thought with a couple of really cute, really easy little gifts for the kids and the teens in our lives exactly.
Speaker 5: And we have given you a mix and we've got all the links on the show notes, so make it easy for you. Check the show notes out and if you don't already, go on YouTube because everything is in a via form, so if you want to see watch our antics, actually take a look at our YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: I'll be back in your ears tomorrow with Lee for Spendy, Sabe and Sarah Marie and I will be back in your ears next week for your ultimate last minute gift guide You. Baudy is produced by Cassie Merritt with audio production by Lou Hill Bye Bye