Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on, what's the difference between elevated cocktail and resort cocktail, formal and black tie? And should you wear heels or ballet flats? In this episode of Nothing to Wear, from the archives, Paula Joy and iChat about all things evening wear. Spoiler Smart Casual is canceled. Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously.
Speaker 2: Disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking? Oh my god, you have.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: You lived for fashion.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems no matter your age, size or budget. I'm Lee Campbell and today I'm joined by Paula Joy, magazine editor turned digital creator and the author of the book Glow Up, which is coming out really soon. Fun fact, Paula Joy gave me my first job in magazines when I was a little work experienced girl over twenty years ago, so I have known the stylish Paula for many decades. In this episode, we are going to help solve one of the fashion problems that can cause the most drama and most stress in our wardrobes, what to wed to or wedding, a party or an occasion that's a bit elevated. And at the end of the episode, I'm going to give you an insider view of all the fashion at Melbourne Fashion Week. So, Paula, the first thing I like to do with new guests is asked them to describe their style in three words.
Speaker 2: Can you do that three words?
Speaker 3: I am classic, simple, twisted, twisted.
Speaker 1: I love because I was just thinking in my head. But you're adventurous, so there's always a bit of a twist.
Speaker 2: I'm like a martini.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are a Martini.
Speaker 2: I'm a Martini.
Speaker 1: Now one more question before we get into the theme of the show. There's a theory that rings pretty true that women often wear ten percent of their wardrobe nine percent of the time. What do you have on high rotation that generally makes up your ten percent? You're always reaching full?
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone's got a uniform. I think it's very true. Blazer, T shirt, jeans, that was very easy for you to come and train it and door sling back, Okay, slingback that it side down. Oh I need to get a good slingback. I'm forever reselling the slingbacks. I think, I like, Okay, it is events season, so maybe people are invited to a wedding, cocktail party, work Christmas parties. When you're in wedding season, it seems like theyre's seven thousand of them. I just went through the fortieth so there's been a lot on it once and oftentimes this time of year is when it happens for everyone. We need to talk dress codes because they are confusing and in twenty twenty three, in twenty twenty four, what do they even mean? So I want to talk about firstly, smart casual. What is smart casual to you? Where can that start and end? Do you think I hate smart casual? Smart casual is rude. Smart casual is so effing vague.
Speaker 1: It's vague, right, It is so vague.
Speaker 3: It is so open to miss interpretation, and it means nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It is like having a dress code when you're not having a dress code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to me, it happens people get told to wear smart casual.
Speaker 2: So time super Australian.
Speaker 3: I think it was made for men originally, like don't wear a suit, right, wear.
Speaker 2: A shirt and long pants.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like, don't say smart casual because you'll get guys in board shorts.
Speaker 2: And T shirt.
Speaker 3: It's so true, that's what will happen. And what does smart casual mean for a woman? Pants and a nice top. Okay, a sun dress, but that depends on what time of day it is. And then if it's nighttime and you wear a dress, does that then tip it into cocktail?
Speaker 2: Yes? So for me, smart casual is pants and a top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe this season like a linen pant, like not jeans.
Speaker 2: I think jeans.
Speaker 1: No. To me, smart casual means yeah, don't wear a ball gown, but not your jeans and your thongs.
Speaker 3: No, you can be a tailored pant of some kind and a pretty top. Your top could be a little bit extra if you're wearing pants, so it's sort of you could be carry up top, corporate, down the box.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: Now, cocktail, I don't mind the dress code cocktail, but it's also pretty broad. I guess generally to me it means sort of a knee length dress. But what do you think cocktail means?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: And then how far can we take that?
Speaker 3: Cocktail is very much is length, So I think it's like that tea length that like Prima Ballerina lengths.
Speaker 2: Knee length mini also fine good, I'm glad to say that. Yes, definitely mini.
Speaker 1: But do we have to wear a dress?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, you could easily wear like I love, like a tuxedo pant that's like a grazes the ankle, nice flat front head with a bit of a satin stripe, and even a beautiful white shirt, something sparkly at the neck, hair like yours is now red.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay. Footwear for cocktail hi? Hi? Yes, what if we hate a high shoe or we've got sore feet, a ballet flo this is fashion.
Speaker 3: No, ballet flat's are back, they are, but proportionately with dresses. A little here, like just a little heel, like I'm wearing a block heel at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's my new friend.
Speaker 3: I find a kitten heel, tough yea the older I get block hill, a stack heel, a wedge.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it doesn't have to be a giant stiletto when you say high heel, just something with a bit of dressiness to it's dressy, right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Black tie? What does black tyming? Black tie is a tuxedo and a ball gown and ballgown is probably defined by.
Speaker 1: Length, so floor length is usually black tie. I think, so okay, can we wear a fancy suit to black tie?
Speaker 2: Do you think kiss?
Speaker 3: Absolutely totally you can. You can wear a tuxedo as a woman.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: In fact, yes, you do a do a suit very well. They're the general dress codes. But what do you do when you get one of those weird like I've got one come out called it says elevated cocktail. I mean, what's the difference in that? And sometimes you get like resort cocktail or you know, there's all these hybrids. What do you recommend to wear or do you ask the invitee elevated cocktail?
Speaker 2: That's enough to make you not want to go.
Speaker 1: It's enough to make me nervous, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I mean that's just adding another layer.
Speaker 3: It's Australia. I'm guessing it's soon, so it's summer.
Speaker 2: What time of day is it? Evening? Evening?
Speaker 3: So you might be tempted to go beach to bar, but I want it to be more than that. I'm not making you wear black tie, like if you came in a ball gown. So I think they're the moments where you can go floor length but like a silk long dress for the shoestring strap, and you could wear a what you'd wear in Hawaii in a barmie sort of place, you know, to a lovely restaurant. I think you can do that for alevated cocktail. But elevated also means to me like push the fashion envelope.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, you can have a bit of fun and don't whip out that old black dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah I want too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting you mentioned nighttime. So when we're given a dress code, do you think it's important And I sometimes forget to do this, but you factor in the details of the invites, So the location the time, does that kind of indicate more about the dress code.
Speaker 2: Definitely, yes, for sure.
Speaker 3: If you're on the beach, if you're on the grass, if you're inside, if it's at eight o'clock at night, if it's at twelve o'clock in the day, you definitely.
Speaker 2: The lighting is so important to me.
Speaker 3: Lighting is super key to what I'm wearing because, particularly over a certain age, I would wear.
Speaker 2: A mini dress like a mini skirt still in the night. Sure in the day, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the key is in the details, not just the dress code of where you're being. Yes, I think it's also a confidence thing. I've tried things on it to change where I'm standing stiffly, and I think, oh, this looks great, and then I pop it on at home an hour before I go out, and I've walked around the house for now going I've actually not comfortable. I'm not going to have a good time. I'm self conscious. So I think it's making sure you enjoy wearing the item, not letting the item wear you.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Confidence is your best accessory, no question. That is definitely what will make you look best, like not looking at trends and just sort of working within the dress codes. It's what looks good on you is going to make you be remembered, not the dress.
Speaker 1: I have a great time. Colors to a wedding, This is interesting. Can you wear white? No?
Speaker 2: Unless you're the bride. You cannot, unless you are a crazy askue.
Speaker 1: Stalker who wants to be mistaken for as a guest nay black to a wedding as a guest. Yes, I think you can. Twenty so you can. Yeah, But it used to be a bit frowned upon.
Speaker 2: Didn't it? It did, but that was you know, yeah, nineteen fifty fourths rule.
Speaker 1: Well, my bridesmaids were black jumpsuits and I think that were fabulous, So yeah, I'm all about black. Now, the average person doesn't want to buy a new dress for every event. I think that's incredibly normal. We've already talked about. Firstly, doesn't have to be a dressed. So what are the other options women can wear?
Speaker 3: Definitely separates like skirt, pants, top, jacket. I mean, if you build a wardrobe of separates that sort of can work at nighttime, even a cocktail dress with a blazer over the shoulders, things that sort of work back with each other. And you know a great pair of black pants that you can then just do I call them Saturday night toops. Just inexpensive tops that you can put with that fantastic well cut trouser and it looks different.
Speaker 2: Again and again and again.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I know, classic pieces, I think, and a skirt in the toop.
Speaker 1: I never think of a skirt and a top for an event, but that's so true. It can look like a dress and then you've got separates to mix a match later. So if someone does want to buy a dress for this party? Seats and what style and color of jress would you look at? Obviously this is so individual. What are you seeing in stores now or that's hitting stores for this season that they could wear.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of bold color, neon color prints because every time spring rolls around, the fashion industry decides to throw a flower on a dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, groundbreaking, groundbreaking. There's big sleeves are still there?
Speaker 3: Mini skirts again, the hemline's definitely gotten a lot higher, a lot of pink, a lot of yellow, lot of cobalt blue, almost like a Strayla sky bright bright blue netting.
Speaker 2: Netting.
Speaker 1: Yes, crochet, I saw the crochet. I don't know if I'm wearing the crochet. So out of all those trends, say someone thinking, yeah, I'll buy a dress, but I've got three events, what kind of trend or color would you suggest they go for so they can then try and make it different for each event.
Speaker 3: I think the best thing to do is choose a block color and one that isn't like neon yellow. You could take a pink or a blue, or a navy or a or a brown or black and change that with the shoes that you're wearing accessories in your hair, jewelry jacket, but prints or a real gold or something that's super obvious.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna get the same Miley Judtle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're feel like, oh, that's that dress everyone knows I WI all that time exactly. Okay, what's your go to outfit that you know you can wear to almost any fancy event. So you've been invited to a last minute event, or you forgot to pick up what you thought you were gonna wear from the dry cleaner. What's in your wardrobe that you just grab and go? I know I can wear this and feel good and fit into the dress code. Black jumpsuit, black jumpsuit, jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Carla Zampatti really taught me about how to wear a jumpsuit.
Speaker 2: And how it's almost like wearing a dress.
Speaker 3: It's the combo, the hybrid between the suit and the little black dress. Has to be well tailored in something like a crape, so it's got a nice fall to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it doesn't crease for travelers.
Speaker 3: Great for travel You can put a blazer with it, you can put a three quarter coat with it, and you can put a high heel with it a flat with it, you can change it just by your necklace like that.
Speaker 1: For me, is it I need to add a black jump soit mine is a satin. No, it's not satin. I think it might be real silk slip dress. And it's like a deep burgundy color. And I bought it. God, it's from Country Road. I must have bought it about eight years ago. And I've worn it with trainers and a denim blazer and I've worn it to a couple of weddings with big dangle earrings and matching like deep lip. It's the most versatile dress that if I ever have to pass it on, I'll be devastated. But never did I think when I bought it it would be that go to dress.
Speaker 2: No, but it's a classic.
Speaker 3: And also I think when you use something like a burgundy as a neutral, very powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. And my tip with slip dress is to always size up because they're cut on the bias. They're great on the body, but if you size up, they're just kind of a bit more effortless.
Speaker 3: Definitely love it.
Speaker 1: Okay footwear, we've touched it, but we're going to go there. It's an important decision. To make. Is there a style of shoe that people can get lots of wear out of that could be their go to four formal events. Let's talk spring summer. So I mean it could be closed in. But what shoe do you immediately think of?
Speaker 2: Pointy toad pump.
Speaker 1: Pointy toad pump for sure, that's.
Speaker 3: Just the classic. Because toes can sometimes be ugly.
Speaker 2: They can distract an outfit, like particularly in a floor length gown.
Speaker 3: Like I see brides walking down the aisle and the toes are coming before the dress and I'm like, that is a mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need a closed toes.
Speaker 3: So I think sounds are beautiful, But to me, a closed toe pump goes with a pant, it goes with a gene, it goes with any length dress.
Speaker 2: You'll get a lot of mileage out of there. That's true, isn't it?
Speaker 1: And maybe you haven't had time to get your petty done exactly hiding exactly right. Rosy Huntington Whitely does the most amazing pump with every outfit, And whenever I need inspiration, I just look at her on Pinterest and she's done it with casual and with formal, and it's always a pointy pump.
Speaker 2: It's always a pointed pump.
Speaker 1: Can you get away with flats to something fancy?
Speaker 3: Of course she can, Okay, of course she can. But then it needs to be the right dress or pant.
Speaker 1: And when we're talking flats, we're not talking haavyannas.
Speaker 3: We are not talking haavyannas. I've been wearing satin ballet slippers lately. That's been really something gorgeous and unexpected like that, or a really beautiful sandal that is good quality and minimal.
Speaker 2: You can, Yes, of course she can wear flats.
Speaker 1: Of course, my archers. Thank you. Now, as we said, going to a lot of events is expensive, what about renting outfits that took off a lot what maybe five years ago? Do you still think that's a viable option. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean I've got two daughters that routinely do it. It's so sensible because they are going to so many events. And yes, I think it's great. Should have been around. Yeah, when I was in the market for it. In fact, I would do it. Actually I would do it now. I think it's genius.
Speaker 1: But back when we worked in magazines together and had maybe five events a week, that would have been helpful and.
Speaker 3: It's actually sustainable, and there's thousands of reasons that it's economically good.
Speaker 2: It's good for the.
Speaker 1: Environment, it's great, and it's also a great way to try styles that you maybe wouldn't wear and particularly not purchase. If it's that statement dress that's like, wow, she wore that to that event.
Speaker 2: Totally, you won and done totally.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stock accessories bags. Can you take your normal handbag?
Speaker 2: No? Not if it's as jumbo as mine. No. Okay.
Speaker 1: So let's say you want to have a kind of go to special bag that you wear to things, but you still need it to be versatile. Some people needed to fit their reading glasses. My new iPhone's almost the size of a laptop. What's a bag that we can kind of go to that will get more mileage in our wardrobe, not just to that one event.
Speaker 2: I think a shop a bag.
Speaker 3: That's about twenty centimeters or something like that with a detachable strap so that it can be a clutch, or it can be used cross body, yes, or it can be used over your shoulder.
Speaker 2: That's clever.
Speaker 3: You want to have something that is multipurpose in that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never detach my straps. You are so smart. I've got a thousand clutches in my wardrobe just by taking the straps off.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's not that I love it.
Speaker 1: Advice or tips just to finish this segment on how to help someone feel more comfortable dressing up for an event if they're not an event person, because a lot of people aren't. You know, a lot of us are just living our day to day in our comfies and then we get invited to that wedding or that fancy Christmas party.
Speaker 2: Where do we start?
Speaker 3: Everybody, first of all, is scared about walking into a room. Every single person, even the most confident, best dressed person you know, has that fear.
Speaker 2: It's totally natural, so know that first.
Speaker 3: But the thing that is going to make you have the best time and look the best and feel the best is knowing what suits your body. There's some fabulous outfit out there to suit every single one of.
Speaker 2: Our fabulous different body shapes. But we're not all the same.
Speaker 3: We're not cookie cutters, and you have to spend the time. Yeah you actually, I think department stores are fantastic for that.
Speaker 2: Go in, try lots of different things.
Speaker 1: One you can try on twenty brands in Munchain exactly.
Speaker 3: Don't leave it to the last minute. If you're learning, start with neutrals. I think, like, start with black and work up your confidence from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great tip. Also, if you are going to go in store and try stuff on, which I will, you know, maybe you've done a bit of a gradual tan, or have some masca on, or have my hair just semi decent, because I feel a bit better trying stuff on if I don't look at what I look like most days, which is just running after a toddler with a dirty bum. So I think that little tip is just you know.
Speaker 2: That's a really good tip. Yeah, I think I think that's a really good tip.
Speaker 3: And also if you need to have a strapless bra with you or even shapewear, take.
Speaker 1: It, yes, And if you've got the shoes already, take them with you totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can get the whole vibe. Get the vibe. I love it.
Speaker 1: And as we know, podcast is not a visual medium, and so if you want more, I have put together the nine best slip dresses that will take you literally anywhere. For Mumamma subscribers, there's a link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive. How wudre.
Speaker 1: Now, Paula, we end every episode on boujie and budget, so we're talking and venting. So let's start with your budget that would fit into this episode. Well, they're the same thing, okay, because I am obsessed with slingbacks, so I have done a bougie and a.
Speaker 2: Budget version version. Love it.
Speaker 3: The budget is the Taquito Saturn sling back.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have these in hot pink, and.
Speaker 2: I have it in purple orange black. I like the red hot pick. I haven't got the red yet. Maybe we'll get the red together, like I seriously, it.
Speaker 3: Is the most comfortable shoe, as I said, pointy toad yeap, but not too high a heel yeap, goes with jeans, pants, minis everything.
Speaker 2: Love them seventy nine old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thin they're about eighty bucks. I must say I had them and hadn't worn them, and I have the hot pink. So I walked to the Barbie premiere and I was really pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very comfortable because they're satin, and they don't look inexpensive.
Speaker 1: No, they look like beautiful shoes and like we say, if you're getting that basic dress and you've got that popup color on your shoe, I agree with you there. So my budget is a blazer. I know we're talking occasion dressing, but I feel like a good classic blazer can kind of dress up anything, whether you're or not your going.
Speaker 2: To a wedding or a work function.
Speaker 1: A blazer can honestly elevate any outfit forever.
Speaker 2: You does really great blazers.
Speaker 1: They've got one called the fran double breasted Blaze that comes in blue, I think you can get in black. They do actually fantastic cuts in all blazers. So I just always size up because I like that bit of a oversized look that's still corporate, but not like you're going to wear it to the office. It's a bit more formal, and honestly, if you're not going to an event, you can even just wear it with jeans and shorts. A good blazer will live in your wardrobe and on your body forever. Their prices are often around sort of the one fifty marks, so not a massive budget, but you can always get for revenue on sale, and because it's a blazer, it doesn't matter if it's a last season. Blazers are blazers. Just a good cut blazer is timeless. So what's your bougie slingback?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: The Saint Laurn and it's your namesake, it's the Lee oh fling back O. Well, I need them, yeah, and they are so divine. They are the perfect classic, going to google them. They are the perfect classic, most gorgeous. I collect like Saint Laurent, that's like my designer. Ah, I love that and Chanelle, not that I have a lot of It sounds terrible, but yeah, when you find like I'm old, now, that's the brand that I just love and would spend money on.
Speaker 2: And this slingback is perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay. So my boogie suggestion for party season is a brand so shown a Joy as you know as an Australian brand. And I love her dresses because I think you know, she loves a print. But they're quite versatile. Some that I've got of hers, I've had for over five years and can wear, you know, to a barbecue with the wedge or to a wedding with a gold stiletto. And I think they're different enough that you feel special, but not trend enough that you think, oh, that's so last season that everyone wore that. Yes, well that's it, Thank you so much. Happy party season. That was fun dress. Do we need to get an invite to something?
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: And here are my highlights and notable faves from Melbourne Fashion Week. So the opening night of Melbourne Fashion Week was a true celebration of fashion meets theater. It was theatrical. There was singing, there was performances, there was dancing. But to me, the true highlight has been the front row fashion and the street styles. So I have been observing what everyone attending has been wearing, and there's been some common threads. So much metallics, so much silver jeans, jackets, short skirts, long skirts, more metallic than you can ever imagine is going to be in for spring and summer.
Speaker 2: It seems.
Speaker 1: Lots of platform shoes, big chunky wedges are still in really high shoes with high platform heels and points, so we're seeing again pointy shoes, which we knew was an incoming trend, but even pointy chunky platform points. So all the shoe trends combined. Lots of beautiful soft chool so think carry from Sex in the City. In the first few seasons big rosettes and flowers on busts and collars is going to be another big trend if the street style has anything to go by and a lot of white but not summary casual linens but sort of dressy sheer shift fanny whites, creams, silvers, even sort of petrol kind of pearlscent rainbows. So that's what I've seen so far and Melbourne fashion has definitely got me excited for the season ahead. Thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear. If you loved this podcast, we would love you if you rated and reviewed with a five star rating wherever you listen to your podcasts. Next week we're talking about how to look Call and stay Call in Summer. This episode was produced by Emily and Gzillas, with audio production by Tiagan Sudler. See you next week. This podcast is powered by our subscribers. If you believe in independent women's media and want to support us, a subscription to Mamma Mia costs around the price of a coffee each month. There's a link in the show notes and a big thank you to all our current subscribers.