Speaker 1: People do things for money most of the time. That's the thing that's I think that's a big mistake. They make decisions based on money and how they can get more money, and they'll work the whole life to get more money and then don't really get to use it that much. When that promise gods to go and play handball with all them and their mates right through to when the bell started and they go, you know, so by the time I don't have to race off to work. That's what I was chasing and that's what I wanted, so my success I achieved it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Sees the YA Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore the good, bad and ugly. The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned fu entrepreneur whos wapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and Matcham Milk bark cz The Ya is a series of comfort on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Lovely Neighborhood. This week, we have a voice in your ears that needs no introduction. His music has been a formative part of so many of our lives, and I'm pinching myself to have him here for you today. I'm talking, of course, about multi platinum selling singer and songwriter Pete Murray. My husband Nick doesn't fangirl many people, if anybody, but as an OG follower who had Pete's very first original independent EP, the only person more excited about this interview than I was was Nick. I pretty much had to lock him out of the room, and that never happens. Pete's incredible career, selling over one point two million albums, releasing three ARIA chart topping albums, and having seventeen ARIA nominations is no secret, but perhaps even more so than any guest we've had on before, it's what came before that that's so powerful in reminding us all that not only nothing happen overnight, some magic strikes later in life. Than you'd expect. While twenty one years old isn't old by any normal standards, I would never have guessed that this was the first time Pete ever picked up a guitar, let alone started writing music after his earlier years, showing every indication of a career in sport. I loved learning about Pete's younger years, all the stuff that you don't hear about as much as his musical career, his process for writing songs, how he defines success. He's fascinating combination of self doubt and self belief, which I think a lot of us can identify with, and everything in between. With fresh new music and a new tour about to kick off, we had plenty to talk about and I hope you all enjoy. Pete Murray, Welcome to CZZA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nice to be here, Nice to chat.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I mean, your voice is not new to anybody, but it's new to me. For it to be in real time. This is such a great privilege to be sitting down with you, so I'm so grateful for your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk to you as well.
Speaker 2: And as I mentioned, my husband, people listening will know he doesn't fan girl many people, but He was one of the very, very og followers of yours back in I think, as you mentioned, the first independent ep D day, and you've been a formative part of so many of our lives. So yeah, it's just amazing to be sitting down with you. But one thing I heard you on the project the other day, and one of the things on this show that I love to talk about is the fact that now we all know the whole nation and people all around the world know Pete Murray, multi platinum selling artist, one point two million albums, sold three ARIA chart topping albums. I think you've had seventeen ARIA nominations. It would be easy to assume you were born with a guitar in your hand. You always knew what you wanted to do. But it blew me away that you didn't start until your twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was twenty one or twenty two, I think when I first picked up a guitar. I had there was a friend. Did I say it on the project? I can't remember what we spoke about on the project the other night, but yeah, the story goes I was living with a made of mine. He was studying teaching and I was doing natural medicine, and he just came into a room one day was really excited, like, I'm going to go get a guitarist and I've always wanted to do it, so I'm going to go and do it. And I thought to himself, far, that sounds really cool. I've never thought about doing that because my whole background was kind of sport. I loved being involved in sport, and you know, even doing the studies was heading down that path of still staying involved with sport. But when you mentioned that, I was like, Okay, that sounds really cool. Maybe I'll go get a guitar. Listen too. So we were like, yeah, let's go and do it. And it turns out that I did it and he didn't, so which was it was the reason that I started, you know, And sadly, a couple of years later he passed away. It was only thirty two at that stage. I was twenty two, so we were really good mates for a couple of years there and then he passed away. But I can't you know, I really believe in fate and I believe I was meant to meet him, and he was the guy that sort of got me on this journey and I named my first son after him, Charlie as well.
Speaker 2: So well, I'm a big believer in fate as well, and the fact that even if you start off on a path that maybe isn't the one for you, it's really hard when you're in that moment to believe that it will all work out. And I think that's why I love going back to the very beginning of people's journey. So you mentioned that like you had a whole life plan for yourself before you even knew music, that you even had talent, let alone the talent that you ended up having. And I love to go through the very early bits to remind people how many years you didn't know that was going to happen before. So, like, let's go back all the way to Chinchilla, Humble Chinchilla, the birthplace, moving to Brisy. Like you said, I was reading your school years and none of it was music. It was all sport. You played club rugby like you were going to do sports medicine. You had this whole other pathway And it just is so fascinating to me that you don't have to wake up when you're five and know what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: Oh, No, life changes you know, and that's the thing that I guess I tell my kids and a lot of other people too, like, you know, you don't have to do the same job or you know, your whole life. That's the beauty of life. You change, I think from twenty to thirty it's such a big change from who you start at twenty a week who end up, you know, as at thirty and every decade you seem to kind of change a little bit. But early life was just yeah, I was brought up swimming in athletics. Athletics is probably my real big passion when I was younger than I played started playing a bit of football later, but as I left school, I really sort of still followed athletics for a while. I had goals of running the come off Games or Olympics, and I kind of got to the age where I was twenty one, I think, and I was at that point of like, you know, either I keep doing athletics, but it was a really hard slog. There's no money unless you want to go on my Olympics, and I was running eight hundreds was kind of my race, and you know, I just there was a lot of work involved in that, and I thought I don't really have the passion for it any more. So I went back and played rugby for a bit and loved playing footy. That was that was great. It's more social. You can have a beer afterwards and you can have some fun. So that was kind of my life, a sport, you know, and music just happened to be fall into my lap. And you know, even when I had had three lessons, I didn't learn much from those lessons because I knew nothing about it. But I borrowed the guy's book back then, because there's no internet, I borrowed the guy's book, the teacher's book, and I learned taught myself how to play, and then traveled overseas and met buskers and learned more. I told I came back home, I was really enjoying playing music and just playing covers on the guitar. Really And before I came home, I was living in a two better inflat in London with nineteen other Aussies. What that's what we kind of did when you're backpacking. No one had any money, so we were just were sleeping on floors and chairs and mattresses, and it was myself and Angus McDonald from sneaky sound system where were mates and bed by mates from you know, rugby days and thanks is always always done music for you know, his whole life and learning how to play and write his own stuff, and I just kind of started late. So we would have this one night where he was playing one of his original songs and I'd play a cover and you played original play cover, and one of the girls that was living there with the said, well, plays one of your songs. I was like, I don't write songs, and she said why not, and I said, I don't know, I just don't and she said, well you should. That was the first time where okay, well maybe I will. So that's really the first time I started to think, well maybe I should. So I tried to do that then, and that's when I came back home became a little bit more passionate about it. But I was still just doing the covers thing for a while. So you know, that's just faked how things kind of happened, and you know you got to, I guess, listen to the signals and where you should be going.
Speaker 2: Totally. I'm a big believer in like the sliding doors moment and how you can't necessarily bring them on. You don't know when you're going to meet that person or when that opportunity is going to come up, but you just have to be ready for the fact that when it does, you don't let it pass you by because you didn't have to listen to any of that advice or explore that new interest in you. And I think the really big thing that happens to a lot of people is they think it's too late. That's kind of the ongoing narrative. It's too late. I didn't start on time. I'm not going to be able to catch up.
Speaker 1: I don't think age should get in the way of anyone, you know, I mean physically, Yeah, there's some things you can't do physically, but you know, there's a lot of things you can achieve. Doesn't matter how old you are. You can really just set your mind. If that's what we want to do, we go, because you're going to get one life. Well we might get multiplized, you know. I'm still you know, who knows.
Speaker 2: The jury is still out on that one.
Speaker 1: There's probably another chance you might come back, but not as us, you know, So this is a life as we are now, and you've got to make the most of that and make sure that that you're doing what you want to do and not and you're not unhappy.
Speaker 2: And I think that's even more why this show is called Sees the AA and not Seize the Day, is that there's so much of just trying to seize opportunities without even knowing if you care about them or if they if you enjoy them at all. And I love that you, Yeah, you stumbled upon this new passion and then able to turn it into something amazing. And a lot of people wouldn't learn a new instrument kind of in their twenties, let alone then learn to write music, which is an entirely different thing, and then turn it into a career is like a whole new a new level.
Speaker 1: Falling on from what you're saying there, you know, trying to learn an instrument and play and write songs, that's one thing. But then I was getting to the age where I was I was thirty and I was recording my first independent album. Like that's pretty old, you know, when you're in the music industry and you're doing your first independ album. And I remember that was a lot of pressure on myself to go, what am I doing? And like this is I should be going back and finishing my studies and getting a real job. But I thought I've always been a big liver in doing what makes you happy and what you wanted to really, not sort of going and doing something that you know you don't want to be doing. And for me, even the natural medicine would have been great, but it would have been a lot of time probably in a room working on people's injuries and things like that. So I just didn't want to be doing that. I wanted to find a job that would take me around the world and give me different experiences, and that's what I was looking for. So it was a lifestyle choice.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my gosh. See I love this because I think we do spend, particularly in our early years, time making decisions not based on the lifestyle it involves. It's just the title you mentioned, like what you should do what society thinks that you should do. Obviously, if you show prowess in Australia in sport, it's sort of like, well, of course you do that. Why would you go into the arts, which is it's so hard to make it, you know, the odds are so small and it's really hard to listen to your inner voice that's telling you, actually, I think I could do something with this. But one of the things we talk about a lot on the show is the concept of like self doubt and imposter syndrome, even if you're not a late comer, so to speak, in your industry. And I've heard you say that even though FeelA has become an album that is not only like a multi million copy selling album but formative for it's ironic that you talked about your twenties and thirties. I think it's been formative for so many of our twenties to thirties. It's that you didn't re listen to it for eight years because you didn't think it was good. Like, how's that for imposter syndrome?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's something that can happen when you're very close to your own music, because you're too busy pulling it apart and going what I don't like about it rather than going what do I like about it? And I think it was a very difficult time because I just couldn't listen to it. I didn't think it was going to work. I thought it was going to fail, and I thought, oh, this is I've bomb my chance of trying to do this, you know, and I was very I was shocked when things started to work and I couldn't hear the beauty of that album until eight years later, and I got a text from Darren Middleton from Powderfinger, going, mate, just listen to feel like, what a great album. And I'm thinking, is it you know, Like, so I'm sitting here, going, I'm confinding myself it must be. It must be someth good about this because people love it, you know, and it's just it's been around the world and it's done its thing. I've just got to listen to this and let it play from start to finish and don't stop it, because I'd always stop it and go, I don't stop working. I don't like it, and I'd get frustrated. And so I sat there and I put it on and was like, I don't turn it off, headphones on. I listened to it start to finish, and I was so surprised. I went, Wow, that's actually a really good album.
Speaker 2: It took you like a decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost a decade to do that, And you know, I felt sorry for Paul mccursher, who produced it, because I think I just struggled with it, you know, and I just struggled, probably even praising him for what he did, you know, but he really did a great job on keeping that album how it was, and keeping that from start to finish how it should have felt, and getting that feeling in it. And I talked to him about that to go, look, man, I'm sorry, but I couldn't hear it. It's great, and then he did a really good job on that.
Speaker 2: It's one of the very few albums that you can actually play from start to finish and there's no lull, there's no sort of banger at the start, banger at the end, and then this random babble in the middle where you're kind of skipping through them. It's just brilliant.
Speaker 1: I've just I'm an independent artist now and I've just recorded my second independent album because my first in an album is The Game back in two thousand and one. So with the new album, the people that have heard that are really excited. It feels it sort of feels like feeler from starting to finish. It's so solid with the songs, good songs. I feel really happy with it. So I'm really interested to see what people think of it when it comes out and everyone's saying the same thing. It's from start to finish, there's just great song up, the great song. It's really solid. So hopefully you will be saying the same thing about that one when you hear it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait to hear it, and that Actually, it's really interesting to me that you're the way you even word that, saying I hope that when it comes out people enjoy it. It's interesting that, as with FeelA, you didn't know before it came out that it was going to go well, Like it's so fascinating that you're not sure, like it's come out of your brain and you're not sure how good it's going to go. So I'd love to go back before we get into the new album and the tour, just sort of at the very beginning. Obviously, when you did start writing songs, you knew there was enough talent there to keep going. Whether or not you knew you could do it full time, something must have come out of your head and you were like, oh, I can actually write a song, like do you hear the lyrics first? Do you hear the tune first? And then how do you know you're onto one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think a lot of times it's music and melody first and then you put the lyrics to it after that. But I just remember thinking, you know, getting a few close friends' opinions when I started to write some songs and they started to read the lyrics and a few things. I remember, you know, So Beautiful was one of the songs i'd just written, and a friend of an at the time came over and the lyrics were just there, you know, and they read it and went who wrote this? And I was like almost embarrassed to go, oh, this is it a positive thing or negative? I was like I did, and they're like, wow, that's really good, and I'm like, okay, so I think it's your conference bills when you get a bit of confirmation on some other people saying yeah, look this is good, you know, and it starts to build yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And so, for example, so Beautiful it's a song that like everyone's heard it. How long does it take to form in your brain? Like do you get like a little earwig and then you sort of pick at it and then it takes like does it take you months? Is it weeks?
Speaker 1: Is it a day that was reasonably fast? I had the music parts kind of down for that for the verse, I think, and then I and a bit of the chorus, so kind of the music there. And then I remember I did a gig in the valley in Brisbane and I was meeting some friends at just a hotel down the road and a group of really arrogant, pretentious people came in and I just don't have any time for that, and it was like I was so annoyed us waiting for a friend. I just couldn't even wait for the friend. I had to leave because it just annoyed me. And I basically got home and just started writing these feelings that I had, you know that from meeting those people. And the first and second verse came out that night, and then the chorus I think pretty much was half done. I finished about three am and then went to bed. And then the next day it was the friend came around and went, you know, the pad was still open. I was writing the lyrics and I was like, who did this? That was that? And then so I might have taken another couple of weeks to sort of put the rest together, just to all final touches, but it came relatively quickly and some of the good songs come relatively quickly. They just seemed to work that way. It's when you're struggling with this song, then it's not me probably not good enough. It takes a long time to get that together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so fascinating, I mean so interesting to hear the process and then once you did sort of start obviously, I think now it looks like becomes so easily to you. It's so easy to assume everyone's an overnight success. I mean, obviously it took you eight years to even realize that the incredible, incredible album that everyone else had already caught on too, that you still weren't on board with it, with it being as good as it was. What helps you, like in those early days when you were just like, am I going to make it? I'm sure? Like it's not financially rewarding immediately, Like it takes a little while. What keeps you going when you're like, I've just got to stick at it, it will get bigger because I think people give up really early.
Speaker 1: My sporting background and the determination that I had from sporting background, I just took that into this and just went like, this is something that for me to make this work. It's going to have to happen, you know, like I've got to just keep working out otherwise it's not going to go. And I believe that there's a self belief that you know, this is going to work to some degree, even though at times you do doubt that you're going you know, appecially as the longer it goes on and you're not getting that success and it's like, Okay, maybe this isn't going to work. You know, you doubt it, But there's part of me that always believes that, yes, this is going to work, and what I'm writing is good enough. And there's some you know, I think a lot of really good songs that other people connect to, and I try to do that. So you write these songs that people can connect to them and they part it becomes part of their life opportunities and we talk about the opportunities and that that song in particular is just lyrically just connected to people. So I think you know in your mind that some things are good, but whether it's going to happen till you don't know, like it's really hot, you know, I do say a lot of times when you think you've got to hit you don't and you don't think you've got to hit you do you can't tell you, you can't tell what people Like I said before, I hope you like the new album when it comes out. You know, I think it's really great. But that doesn't mean you're going to but you know, you'd like to think that you will, but people to have different tastes. Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: So once Feeler came out and then it just you know, propelled onto the sort of global stage, how did your definition of success change? Because I think there's a really interesting relationship between happiness and success. That's a big part of the show. That we chase success for a lot of our lives and then suddenly you realize it doesn't actually make you happy. It's like it's a good metric, but it's not the only one. How did you sort of you know, you got success and then did it make you happy? And then were you sort of like what's next?
Speaker 1: Success is different for everyone. So for me this I mentioned to you earlier. I did this for lifestyle. So because when I was eighteen, my dad died. He was forty seven, and I saw him work his whole life and he sold his business. Is what to make a jeweler, sold his business, worked for the guy who he sold the business too, literally finished working for that god just to sort of asical he transitioned with him over and help him out. For that twelve months, Mum and dad bought a caravan. We're about to travel around Australia and just enjoy the time together, you know, and have a bit of a holiday and probably going to live up Unshine Coast and you know, kind of semi retire up there. That was their goal. And before that could happen, he had, I think a month after he'd finished the work, he had a heart attack and died. So for me, I was like that was a massive lesson for me, and I thought, that's not going to happen to me. What I want is time, and I want a lifestyle that I don't work my whole life doing something that you know, like it's I mean, Dad still enjoyed his job, but you know, I want something that I want to enjoy it now whatever the job is. So it's not a job you know and travel the world and what is this job that I was going to fight and know what it was at time, But for me that was really important to have lifestyle and have time. It wasn't about money, it wasn't about being the most fake, it was nothing about fame, to be honest, It's just about time and obviously being financial enough that you had time. So the work that you're doing was fun, you loved it. There's no question about, Okay, I want to do something else because it sucks. And having that lifestyle that I have time with my kids so that we have a lot of time together and they're growing up and I'm part of their life. Because Dad was always working for me. It was always in the shop working and we didn't forget to hang out much. And I was I just had my eighteenth birthday two months before he died. It's the first time I really got to know him a little bit as a as a friend or as an adult. You know. Before that was just he was always busy working and we just didn't have that. We had a good relationship, but just didn't know him that well, you know. So for me, I was like, this is lifestyle I want to have. I want to grow up with my kids. I want to make sure that we I'm part of their life, that I'm going to go to all their events and just I used to go to school with boys who are a bit old, and our Charlie turns twenty one soon and Pedro seventeen. When that PRIMI school, I used to go and play handball with all them and their mates right through to when the bell started and that go, you know, so that I had time to do it. I didn't have to race off to work. That's what I was chasing, and that's what I wanted. So my success, I achieved it and I've still achieved it. So that's the thing that I have a lifestyle. I don't have to go and work as such on an hourly rate for someone else, you know, to try and go and get that done. And that's where I had a conversation with dad early on. And you see, when I just lef school, he said, what do you want to do? And I just wasn't too sure at that stage, or I hadn't left scholled, this stage wasn't too short, and he said, we'll just make sure you work for yourself, because that's better. If you work for someone else, it's just hard to sort of get what you're doing. Work for yourself, your own you're your own boss. You can do what you want, and it was just good advice to do that. So so for me, that's that was my success, you know, and fame couldn't care less about it. This is something that you know, I used to get invited to all the openings and the red carpets and things, and I just didn't want to go to them, you know, it just wasn't I'm happy not to sort of be that person.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry that you lost your father at such a formative age in your life, and obviously it's such a time where you just started a really beautiful relationship. But it's beautiful how that lesson came to you about time being the commodity that's far more important than anything else. Money is important to buy your time or to change the quality of your time. That you got it so early in life, because I think people do take a very very long time to kind of reach that realization, and often it is too late. They've made decisions that maybe they regret.
Speaker 1: People chase money, people do things for money most of the time. That's the thing that's I think that's a big mistake. They make decisions based on money and how they can get more money. And I'll work the whole life to get more money and then don't really get to use it that much, you know, and it's the time. Like a friend who is as a barrister, and I was talking him one day and talking about this exact thing, how I had time and I spent my time with my kids. I'd spent so much time with my kids and I still love doing it. He started crying. He had tears. Andy's eyes going, you know what, You've really hit a nerve there, Like he said, I'll go to work at seven and I don't come home toil like nine o'clock at night time. My girl's now turning twenty and twenty one, and I've missed most of the life. I was like, like, well, time to think about that change, isn't it, you know, like you and people miss it because they's kind of doing you know, they're caught up in work and it works like I don't want to work. You know, Look this is that's not like you want to do something of the life. I think we've got it all wrong the way the whole thing's set up and can't change it now. It is what it is. But and there's another story. A guy I knew how to boat went over to Balle and was met one of the locals there on the beach, and the guy said, you know, you guys have got it all wrong. You guys work your whole life and whole life and then you don't still don't have much and you die and that's it. Well, we don't have much, but we have this life that we just live and we enjoy. And there's something in that, you know. I mean, every day these guys aren't wanting more and more and more, and when they're just like happy doing their own thing and they're living their life where how many people go jump on a train, sit there for a while and get off and go to work and sit in the same office for forty years and just like, you know, that's it. And I remember reading something else that a lot of men the biggest regret they had on their deathbed was that they didn't spend enough time with the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so interesting. I used to be a merchants and acquisitions lawyer, so I had that exact realization, and I feel very lucky that I had it before I became a mum, so that by the time I did get to this stage of my life, i'd kind of reorganized my priority so I didn't miss a minute, and I had learned that you can't take it with you, like, what's the point in waiting. I'll enjoy it when assuming that you get time, but you don't know how long you have. So I love that lesson and it seems like you. I mean, now, I've seen you playing music with your son, so I love that you've got this beautiful family kind of weaved into your passion, which is also your job. It's this beautiful mix of everything.
Speaker 1: It is good. Yeah, I mean, look, my goal would be to have We've got four kids now, so have them all playing in the band one time.
Speaker 2: You know, are they into music?
Speaker 1: What Charlie elst one is Pedro seventeen year old, not yet so hopefully will we but not yet. He hasn't any sort of got into it. And then the two girls kind of they love singing, dancing, and so I think that they will. Now every time we get the guitar out there strumming it and trying to play it, and so I feel that they will. But yeah, it'd be pretty cool to have it like the Muzzer Band.
Speaker 2: I think Charlie maybe was in the audience at the project and you somehow embarrassed him with some corny photo or something. Do they know how famous you are? Like do they have a bar of you or not?
Speaker 1: Well, as a kid, they don't. They don't realize really much about it. But I do remember Pedro when he was a little wild time and I was somewhere and I just had people kept up going, we must be at the footy somewhere and people can come, so can they get a photo? Can you sign this? That's right signing stuff? You can sign this, sign that. And then Pedro said to me, Dad, why do people want you to squiggle on a piece of paper for me? And I don't know, you know some people like that. He just you thought that was a weird concept. Here I'm just scribbling on a piece of paper. So they don't really As they get older they understand it, of course, you know. And I think that that. You know. The girls are six and three, so they've been to a couple shows now and they'll sort of watch and then just sort of color in beside stage and then but I did one show in West australiaere they both came out and I held them both up and the crowd love it, you know, like it was, and I'd love the two LEAs that have come out waves of the crowd and stuff, so they get a bit of a buzz out. Yes, I think they know that I'm a singer and performer and stuff, so yes, it's it's good fun.
Speaker 2: It's funny to think that you're like, you know, have long been part of the definition of cool and that you have kids that know that you're famous. But I mean, I'm sure the boys are just like, oh, Dad, like, don't.
Speaker 1: Never been like that?
Speaker 2: Really, that's so nice.
Speaker 1: They're all like, yeah, it's kind of nice because they don't see me as that uncool person. I guess, uncol Dad.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're Pete Murray, you are pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But I treat them like, you know, my kids, but with respect and we have fun together. And I've had that close with them too, you know, so you know, I guess they were just close. So there's never been anything where and I'm pretty cool, like in the way that I don't lose it if they do something wrong because they've got to learn from that, you know, and they probably know they can get away a few things with me. But there's a limit. There's a limit that you know what I will put up with as well. Well.
Speaker 2: You sound very well adjusted. So the new single, wouldn't It Be Good? Is the first independent single in twenty years, and you're about to go on a national tour. I think you're doing some amazing regional visits as well. I would love to know when do you know it's time for a new album? Like when are you? Just like, I've got enough in my brain for a whole new release and we're going to get on the road this.
Speaker 1: Album coming out. I definitely felt like we needed some new music. I think they had two EPs that came out during COVID, and I think it just kind of COVID was a tough time to really get your music herd. It was difficult, so and I think that just kind of slipped under the radar, the two EPs. I remember talking to some people that are going, we didn't even know you had something come out.
Speaker 2: It's like, wow, my bad.
Speaker 1: Some great songs on those EPs, which I did turn into an album anyway, But definitely felt like I needed some new music. And I've been, you know, playing the old songs for a long time, so I still play those songs, but I definitely felt like we needed some new songs out there that I was definitely due for a really good album. That's what I felt, and so i've you know, I've had some of these songs have been self started writing and about twenty fourteen and demoing and sort of you know, there's some older ones there that've been hanging around for a while that just needed to be finished off. But sometimes that happens. You know, some things aren't ready for a particular album, and you know at the right time they will be. So there's some real sort of a bit of nostalgia I think in this because this is reminds me of Feeler in the way that feel It took time to write Feeler. I did The Game and then you know, plenty of demoing in that period, and then when I got signed, we took five songs off The Game and put on to Feeler. So this album as well, has been pretty much done over ten years. If I go back and look at all the songs, because I keep all the songs, and when it's the right time for the right album, I think I'll put that out, then they'll be there. So there's a body of work there over ten years. That's what makes this new album great. I think that you've just got It's not just written in two years and thrown out just because I need to get one out there. Yeah, there's nostalgia in this stuff, and there's some good songs and it feels great. So yeah, definitely, right now I'm due, And now I've got a lot of other stuff just backed up that I'm just going to keep putting stuff out. I've actually re recorded some of the old songs now too, because I can do that, and I'm going to put them out again. So my versions of those so pulling a swifty I call it, you know, like a tailor. Swift has done that, so she's led the way, and I think it's you know, for me, I wanted to record I guess how I played those songs now out lives. There's a little bit more energy in some of them, and you're just over time, you just start to do things a little differently, so they're still similar than what the old versions are, but they're just got that fresher sound to them.
Speaker 2: I love that you use the word nostalgia as well, because I feel like one of the reasons why so many of your songs do hit people in the fields is because you hear them and it transports them to a time in their life that's so significant, and you like, there's so much feeling in it that you remember everything you felt in that moment. I have songs, and a couple of yours are like this where I almost can't turn them on if I'm not emotionally in a good spot, because they're so it's like a visceral reaction. You just get so overwhelmed by that nostalgia. Like I've always wondered and I've never had the chance to ask anyone. I can imagine it's so much more intense when you wrote the song, Like do you hear those songs and it transports you back to who you were when you wrote them? And are there moments where you're like, I can't even listen to that song?
Speaker 1: Oh look, it's incredible now, because you know, I've played a festival of a couple weeks ago called Handpicked down in Adelaide, and virtually it's like a bunch of twenty year olds. They're like the younger generation, and so I was like a little bit nervous. I've done two shows, which has been kind of the twenty year old crowd. There was one in New Zealand last year, of course snow Machine, and then hand picked a couple weeks ago, and that younger demographic from my fan base. I guess that have grown up with me. I was kind of nervous, thinking, will they know me, will they know the songs? Will they be kind of going, who's this old fellow? You know? So I just didn't know, like it's just twenty year olds. So and came on and played the set and they sang word for word. They were like so pumped up and it was incredible. So it's on my Instagram of people going and check it, which is Pete Murray Music, Go and check out that. There's there's some footage of those young crowd, like just belt in the lyrics out said songs like Opportunity, better Days, so beautiful. They're just singing these songs because these were the songs that really meant something to you know, their parents or their older siblings, and they've grown up with these songs now. So you know, when I was walking back from stage to the green room, you have to go past the crowd, So everyone was coming up the fence and they going, look, this is so good. To see you play, and we grew up with these songs. You know, these songs, they're pretty much mean as much to these guys as they do for their parents and older siblings. So it's kind of like, I guess it's a sign of a good song that goes down in generations and stays with people and still have that same feeling. And hopefully these guys will grow up in the next ten years and still come to more contents and just you know, get into that. So you know, we'll see, but it's been great to see.
Speaker 2: That before we finish. Though. One of the big things about happiness, I think is that even if you love your job and it doesn't feel like work like for you, music is obviously something that doesn't feel like going to an office and sitting down. I think you stay fresh and passionate if you have hobbies or passions that are outside of that. So when you're not playing music, like maybe in between albums downtime, when you're not listening to other people's music, is there anything you love doing that's just like your guilty pleasure? Like do you crochet? Do you surf?
Speaker 1: Like? What are you?
Speaker 2: What are your things?
Speaker 1: Look grabbing that much of chances. I do like surfing, but having that much of chance to serfl because just the kids have been two young kids against something. So at home quite a bit, I like hanging with family, you know, and hanging out with the kids and just doing that stuff. For like going to the beach. I like being outdoors. That's really nice. Going to the beach and hanging out there is quite nice. And just going out with those guys and playing in the park, and you know, that's kind of a nice thing because really, like you know, doing music is I get a lot of enjoyment out of that. So you go on tour and play with her mates. It's really I'm blessed that I can do that because that's fun for me. It's it's really just once again, you know, it's doing those things that my dad missed, you know, like being with family, being with kids and doing those things that's really important.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so beautiful. It really comes through that being a dad is such a big part of your life and it's not like work is two percent and then everything else has to fit in like the ten percent that's leftover.
Speaker 1: So wrong that people do that and one or.
Speaker 2: Two guilty pleasure questions for me is just what's your two favorite songs that aren't your own, two or three from any era?
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, Neil Young Bob Dylan. So they're two my favorite artists. Bob Dylan positively Fourth Street. I love that track the way he sings it, and it's just having to go with all the people that have had to go with him over the time. He does it lyrically, it's fantastic. Neil Young. There's probably heaps of Neil Young songs. I could mention, Oh, do you hard to pick one? Gosh, there's so many. Expecting to Fly is a really nice song that people have made not know, but it was something that when dad died, I remember listening to that song quite a bit, very powerful song. And Third, I've always said, you know a song that I wish I could write was ever Long by the Food. Oh, that's just a great song.
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Melody. That's the song that people said, what if you could have written a song, what was it like? Well, that would be That's just such a great song.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone that you would love to play with at any point in your life? Do you do? Have you ever released a joint single like a jewet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, but there's a song, a new song that's coming out actually has a bit of a country flavored to it and do that with maybe a female country singer. So we just we're just kind of looking for for that at the moment. I probably did like my own version anyway, but have another version where we can do like a duwet thing with the country female artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing. Well, Pete, thank you so much for your time. I'm so so excited for the whole new album. Where does it come out? When can we get it?
Speaker 1: It'll be out in the bed October next year. So there's a lot of songs kind of you know, every six weeks or so, will be coming out singles. The first one's out now, the second one comes out on the sixth of February, and then after that it'll be sort of every six weeks. We'll probably low you know, thybe six songs coming out before the album drops.
Speaker 2: Well, A'll be listening along keenly, wouldn't it be good? Is out now?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 2: I will include a link for you to listen along and get a taste of what is to come. Pete, congratulations and thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and i's to talk to you as well.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Pete's songs transport me so vividly to parts of my life. What an absolute dream to chat with him about how it all unraveled, and such an amazing reminder for all of us that it is never too late to stumble upon something new that you love, that you never knew that you loved, or that you were good at. As promised, I will pop links to everything in the show notes, of course, share the episode and tag at Pete murray music as well if you enjoyed to let him know what you think, maybe tell him your favorite song. And in the meantime, I hope you're all having a wonderful week and are seizing your yaman femmininmon