Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mama Maya out Loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Wednesday, the fifteenth of July. And I'm Holly Wainwright, I'm Amelia Luster, and.
Speaker 2: I am Vernon.
Speaker 1: And here's what made the agenda for today. In one bleak week, we have lost four women and girls to violence in Australia, and we also got one tiny glimmer of hope. Plus we've all heard of fan fiction, but there's a new subset that's a bit more troublesome.
Speaker 2: And there's some celebrities who are pushing back.
Speaker 3: And look, Sarah's got some deadly pants. Boobs are back, and you need to stop washing your gym clothes. I have a fashion news update that no one asks for.
Speaker 2: But first, Emily Vernon.
Speaker 4: Women who hate sport have a new patron Saints and she goes by the name Victoria Beckham. Lady Becky, Lady Becky, Baby Beckham. So on the weekend, everyone, and I mean everyone, actually I don't know about your men. We're watching the England watching watching the England versus Norway World Cup match. Football fans were watching it because depending which team one meant, their journey would continue.
Speaker 2: Towards the World Cup.
Speaker 4: The girlies like myself were watching it because we wanted to see Bettingham and Harland.
Speaker 1: Bellingham and Harland, the romance.
Speaker 2: Hug on hug on the stage.
Speaker 1: The court of the Sales called Jesus Christ, she's not the sports.
Speaker 2: He got the pitch one the pitch. That's a cricket pitch. No, it's a football pitch. Sorry, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Everyone don't remember me say ground you could accept, but it is.
Speaker 2: It's a football pitch.
Speaker 4: Okay, football pitch. We got two hugs. I counted and that's all I needed. And then I left and then some points happened and they came back and everyone was cheering points.
Speaker 2: I apologize.
Speaker 1: I apologize for every footballing fan in the nation.
Speaker 2: On behalf of Miamily there.
Speaker 4: Was a very very famous family watching the game in the crowd. The Beckhams, the whole family.
Speaker 2: Minus Brooklyn, we don't about that.
Speaker 4: Were there sitting in a row best seats in the house.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Brooklyn actually, now that you mention that. I wonder if he was watching it at home, and if he can cheer for England anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, surely he can.
Speaker 1: They kind of belong to his dad.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we digress. That's not what we're here to do, because it is it is David's team. Yeah, he used to play for England. Surely he played for England. He used to play for England. He was really good, but he also got the death threats.
Speaker 1: Remember anyway, we digress, Okay, keep going anyway.
Speaker 2: Norway scores.
Speaker 4: English fans very very anxious, so like, what's going to happen, What's going to happen?
Speaker 2: What's going to happen?
Speaker 4: And then just as they were about to break for halftime, England scores roaring. I could hear it from my TV. The crowd was going so loud, screaming. I could see drinks being thrown up in the air. Everyone's having a good time. Not one single person was sitting in their seat. I was really joining this match report, except there was one wasn't There was one person Victoria Beckham sitting there watching what is happening? Saw that England scored looking like this?
Speaker 5: Did she even smile?
Speaker 1: And the thing that's so striking about the photo and why it's done the rounds and become a meme is because.
Speaker 2: David is out of his seat.
Speaker 1: He's like h and Romeo and Cruise and they're all like leaping around and she's just sitting there.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I can't decide what it says.
Speaker 4: I think she was meditating, or maybe she was manifesting the win for them.
Speaker 2: You think she was channeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I get that lots of people don't like football, and I guess there'll be lots or all kinds of sport, and I get that there'll be lots of people listening to this male and female who are like that is me. I do not care. I don't get excited, but it takes a particular kind of self possession, I think to be sitting in a stadium of sixty five thousand people in really hot weather, all the energy of.
Speaker 3: Well, as we know from former sports gross Band and Claire Stevens, America and American sports fans are more enthusiastic about sports than Australians. That's what she said on the show, and so to not even pick up on.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, but also the place is full of Brits who are losing their mind, full of Norwegians doing their rowing, to Americans who just decided it was a good day out and we're bringing their energy, Like it is very hard to resist that. If you're watching Tiddleywinks and everybody's really into it, you get into it. Yeah, so I think it's an amazing It's either that one of two. I have one of two theories about this. Either she's so cool, so self possessed that like she's just completely unaffected by her surroundings at all times, or she cannot ever because of the all of the paparazzi attention, all those things lose control in public.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because even if you don't care, it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of almost impossible to not leap around, but not even just standing up and doing that, Like she could have just stood up and just been like cheers. But you know who else she's the patron stave for is women who you know how lots of Well this actually goes both ways, but you know how, you get really invested in your partner's enthusiasms. Right, So you might not like football, but you date someone who likes football and you get introduced to football.
Speaker 2: This has Taylor Swift story, right.
Speaker 1: She doesn't like football, different kind of football, starts dating that guy.
Speaker 2: She got a mixed up with cricket. I'm pretty sure I want.
Speaker 1: You Suddenly she loves it, not because she's faking it, but because she's been introduced to.
Speaker 3: Her She's eating chicken fingers and dipping them in ranch football games.
Speaker 1: And she's watching watching them backstage before she goes on.
Speaker 2: You just get around it.
Speaker 1: Vicky B is the antithesis of that. She's had thirty years of this shit and she's just like, you've tried to adopt me and I'm not having it, Like why are we here?
Speaker 2: None of us are on the field. Sorry.
Speaker 3: In some ways it shows like an admirable sense of self. It does.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I won't be doing it tomorrow. By the way, your match report was excellent, and so I'm a little outdated because at five am tomorrow, maybe people have we listening to this will have already happened. David will be leaping around again. Do you think we'll see our unbothered queen the game tomorrow? And it might have already happened, depending when he listened to this. Of course, England Argentina is in Atlanta, Georgia. I don't know that Vicky B's traveling there well.
Speaker 3: Also on the upside, though, Nicola Peltz, a billionaire heiress, has never been to Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 5: I can say this with some certainty.
Speaker 1: So she's not going to worry about bumping into them, but it's another chance for her to just like I'm excited Nicole Kidman Club I have. It's been an unfathomably dark week in Australia. Four women, in fact, two women and two girls have lost their lives allegedly at the hands of male violence. It's incredibly distressing and very dark. There's one story in this space we wanted to talk about today, though, that gives us a little bit of hope, a little bit of light. If you're wondering why when I'm talking about this, I'm not giving more details of the women whose lives have been lost or the men who've been charged with these alleged crimes, it's for legal reasons and for not wanting to jeopardize justice or justice being served in any way at all, right, because really, the hope of justice being served in cases like these is really all we have to hold on to at times like this, and sometimes it doesn't feel like the world that world takes violence against women seriously enough. Australia's family violence statistics are stubbornly bad. It is now nearly four years since the government pledged to reduce the number of deaths family violence deaths by twenty five percent every year. That has absolutely not happened. The statistics are bad and at this time of view, compared to last worse. They're getting worse, not better, And I think for many of us. I wrote a story about this on Mamameir this week. It will also be a newsletter that I feel like I have written many times. I could only imagine the frustration of the people who work in this area and how they're feeling to have to keep pushing and keep pushing, and then a week like this comes up and everybody talks about it, and then everybody moves on. Obviously, the families of those two girls, two women who are lost this week cannot move on. But I want to bring us to a tiny glimmer of good in this space that was discussed this week. This is about sexual violence. Judge Ryan Hadrick was presiding over his court room on July the ninth in Brisbane and he's been hearing the case of a thirty five year old man who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a fourteen year old girl. Now, yes, the man had admitted to sexually assaulting this girl at his home, but his lawyer was leading for leniency in sentencing. He was saying that the incident had lasted no more than five minutes, and that at that five minute mark the perpetrator had realized that his actions were wrong and he stopped. The barrister, Damien Gates, told the court the penile intercourse lasted five minutes, not more than that. It was poor impulse control. The Courier Mail reported Judge Hadrick listened to this argument and then he told the barrister to sit down. The proposition I'm putting through to you and your client, he said, is that in five minutes engaging in sexual conduct with a fourteen year old, the penny should have dropped before it occurred. It's a long time to continue engaging in a sexual act while you know the wrongness of that conduct. And then he made the whole court sit in silence for five minutes.
Speaker 4: When I read this story, I did exactly that. I put a time on my phone for five minutes and I just sat in silence. And it's so hard to not get teary because it's so confronting, so upsetting.
Speaker 2: Five minutes at a long time. It's a long time.
Speaker 1: If we stopped talking on this podcast for five seconds, for ten seconds, for a minute, it would feel like eternity. And some people are saying, well, that's it was a bit of a stunt what the judge did. It was a stunt, but it was a very well thought out stunt because it brought a lot of attention to this case and made people really consider what had happened.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: And the man in this case can't be named, even though he pled guilty and he was found guilty, because the victim's identity is being protected, of course, But he said the judge, he said, we're not talking about a sexual interaction that is seconds of complaint. We are talking about a sustained act that will do significant damage to this child over her forthcoming years. We live in an age where we are very clear understanding now that we didn't in earlier times of the pernicious nature of this sort of sexual offending that can stay in the mind and stay in the life story of a victim for years, if not decades to come. It robs that child of their innocence, but also many things that they should be able to take for granted, like trust in men and understanding of what is sexually appropriate and not appropriate. The damage just rattles on through the ages, and that's because of your immature, immoral, and frankly selfish conduct on this occasion. And sexual assault advocates and child protection campaigners are celebrating the fact that this judge, in pulling this stunt in inverted Commas, has brought so much attention to it, but also acknowledging very publicly the impact of a crime like this, which is clearly what the barrister was trying not to do.
Speaker 2: He was trying to dismiss it.
Speaker 3: So I don't necessarily fault the barrister, but I think what's happening here is that we're feeling women are feeling frustrated that the legal system in general does not seem equipped to deal with the severity of these types of crimes. And whether it's because there's an implicit bias about women being not quite humanomen or crimes against women and girls being not quite as serious as other crimes, I don't know what the reason is, but just today I read in the Nine newspapers that there have been two recent rape cases in New South Wales where a man was found guilty of rape. He was convicted, but he was not sent to prison for rape. And that doesn't feel right. And it took by the way a man writing a former magistrate, a man writing this in the nine newspapers. I wonder if sometimes, for some reason, we as a society need to hear this from men, not from women.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I what you said earlier whole when we tried to find these kind of glimmers of hope, Because in any other world when we hear this story, there is a universe where we would just think that that would be a good like a get enough excuse, and we would be like, oh, and the judge would accept that, and that will be fine. That's just what we've learned to accept over and over again. It's important to remember that this story is so powerful and waiting for those like waiting in silence in those five minutes, because if we take this and see this as like, thank God he said that, then God that was like, it's not the best thing that could have happened. And I feel like sometimes we take these stories and I'm like, that was amazing that he did that. But it's only a really, really tiny small bit of.
Speaker 1: Hope, it is, And I absolutely get that. I think that it's to Amelia's point in a way, when nothing seems to be changing in terms of the horrific nature of this level of violence, sexual violence and family violence and domestic balance, when nothing seems to be changing, that it feels like and Australia isn't alone in this. This is an issue all over the world and some countries have taken different kinds of steps to deal with it.
Speaker 2: But it feels like.
Speaker 1: In a way, there's a collective shrug of well, what are you going to do?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, this is human nature, this is masculinity. I don't know whatever the sort of justification for it is. It sometimes feel like there's a big collective shrug. And so women are almost ridiculously grateful for a moment like this where a male judge seems to actually get, like, seems to actually get that this moment of poor impulse control will have an impact on that girl forever. And the women lost this week are not statistics. The impact of what has happened to them will rattle through their families and rattle through their communities, and rattle through the stories of all women in a way about how unsafe we are, even in the places we're supposed to be safest, And so I think we just want to grab onto anything that feels like maybe things are changing.
Speaker 3: If this conversation has brought up anything for you, will have some resources in the show notes.
Speaker 5: We'll be back after this break.
Speaker 2: How was your day in these trousers?
Speaker 5: That's what we need to know. It troubles them.
Speaker 7: I'm not injured, but I had a few nit misses, especially on stairs up and downstairs, and I've almost gotten caught in some bust doors as well.
Speaker 2: They're super flappy. They are just so so long.
Speaker 7: You just have to constantly hold them up as you're walking, or you know, you get them caught in an escalator or a list door or.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 4: It's the flair, I mean, it's the width of the relatively narrow road.
Speaker 2: Great, it's just crazy huge.
Speaker 7: Yes, it also kind of just makes you look like you've got one giant leg as well.
Speaker 2: What are we talking? An investigation?
Speaker 3: That was Times Fashion stylist Susie Lethbridge on what people are calling the Czara death pants. A flowing Palazzo trouser retails for about sixty five dollars, comes in a variety of colors and which became the subject of a separate SEATNN investigation this week. Let's hear from CNN supervising producer Evaniskatola on this important story.
Speaker 8: Pose injuries of scrapes on their knees or hands, but some others have posted about a bruised ankle and even a broken elbow on social media. Some dokingly say they fallen victim to the pants. The flowing, wide legged trousers come in multiple colors online and are marketed at forty five dollars. These women say it's not the length that's the problem, but more the width of the trousers. They're so wide that their feet get caught and then they trip. CNN reached out to Zara that they didn't respond.
Speaker 3: So we're still waiting on comment from Zara. At the time of recording, they have not released any kind of statement, but there have been more than two thousand tiktoks about the deadly trousers, and they're often using CCTV to verify their claims about just how dangerous these pants are God for you, Amelia Lester, it's a psam. Have you fallen victim to the Zara death pants?
Speaker 4: I haven't fallen victim to these specific pants, but I have fallen victim to flowy pants. In the park, I had something happened to me ten years ago. It felt like yesterday because my brain likes to remind me of the story. At three am most nights, I was walking up you know, in the train stations that we have in Sydney, A lot of them are you have to go upper platform and then come back down. So I was walking up this huge, long flight of stairs to get to a train, packed so many people on the staircase, and I was wearing these big flowy pants. I was probably halfway up and then my foot got caught on the top of I should mention it weren't just flowy pants.
Speaker 2: But it was a full bodysuit. Oh that went into pants.
Speaker 1: That's got less give, let's give, let's give.
Speaker 4: My foot got caught on the top of my pants as I was taking a step. Fully stacked it and then rolled down three steps and rolled.
Speaker 2: It's like a body roll, like on the front of my body.
Speaker 4: I like slipped down three steps, and then some people like were like are uk are uk? And then there's there was a guy who was right behind me, so you kind of had to like move out of the way because otherwise he would have stepped onto me.
Speaker 2: And he was like, are you all right? Can I help you?
Speaker 4: I was like no, I'm okay, I'm fine. I'm fine, I'm fine. I get up, I walk three more steps, happened.
Speaker 1: Again, Oh no?
Speaker 3: And then did he become your boyfriend? Tell me he became your because.
Speaker 2: It was a body suit.
Speaker 4: It was worse because it pulled down and it was like quite a cleavage kind of bodysuit. So not only did I step on my pant and fall down the second time, but then the top half of my bodysuit came down and like my tits were out, Oh no, and I was on the ground on these steps. I slipped down another two steps, and then he was just behind me and he was just like and trying not to look, and he was just.
Speaker 2: Like are you sure?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I'm okay, I'm okay, pulled up, put my clothes back on, and then held my pants up and then walked up the remaining a lot, and it happened all in slow motion and I couldn't stop.
Speaker 1: Did you write an angry letter to the people who made the outfit?
Speaker 4: But I think I wrote a letter to Transport News like whales about the steps.
Speaker 1: I want to I, MELI, can you describe exactly what these pants look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like platzo so that ighs like like a sort of like elastic highwaist but with extremely like pleats, and then get out into very very flowy.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 1: I don't want to point fingers here, but the mistake that these women and you made here was trying to live a normal life in fashion.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work.
Speaker 1: There is there is some fashion that can only be worn by people who never catch the train. True, don't walk around because I haven't had this very experience. But we know how jeanes sometimes they get everybody wants them really long. I've got lots of jeans are a bit too long. I can't wear them. If with a cloggy heel, you get caught, you trip. But if you don't walk anywhere, you don't do train steps. You don't do them in limousine to hotels, as we used to call them taxi shoes. Like there are some shoes that are for people who only catch taxis.
Speaker 5: Rich people have which just invented a new term here.
Speaker 1: Told us that we could Yeah, I know, well that was one of the biggest lies of that show. Is that not that she could run in heels because some women are superheroes. Let's remember some women wear capes, but that you could live the kind of life where you walk around a lot in those shoes you can't.
Speaker 3: No, you're right, And look, that's why I wanted to bring some fashion news here today, because fashion can be pretty hard to navigate, especially for people who catch public transport. And you wanted me to give us an update on Donald Trump's Warren Irun and.
Speaker 5: How that's back on.
Speaker 2: That was my pitch in the meetings, and I.
Speaker 3: Said no, because I've got something else that's very important to update you on fashion wise, and that is that breasts are back.
Speaker 5: Thank you goods for people with breasts.
Speaker 2: I have breath grabbing the breast, me and my whole train station. They know you have breasts.
Speaker 3: The subset cartoons hate Her wrote this week about how around the sort of mid twenty tens, the major body trend shifted to a disproportionately large bottom, not breasts. You might remember that bums were big. Bums were big, and then the twenty tens kind of brought around fashion trends which were they weren't breast forward.
Speaker 5: They were very butted forward. If you can be butted forward, maybe a mixing metaphors to turn around.
Speaker 3: They were not breast forward, and so we thought, here's an example.
Speaker 5: We thought bra letts were big in the twenty tens. Now bra lets for.
Speaker 3: People with breasts who may not know a BRA's without underwire, so they're kind of useless for anyone above a bee cup. But they were very big. People would wear them under blazers and so on. And the push up bra completely went out of fashion, true because you may not even know this them. But in the early two thousands, Victoria's Secret and Wonder Bra. They all wanted us wearing like really intense push up bras, and it was all about cleavage.
Speaker 1: And in the nineties, even I had a girlfriend live with her, I don't know why, who used to go clubbing in just a wonder bra and.
Speaker 5: That was a big thing.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you'd be raving and one of the pads of your wonder bra would fly out and hit someone in the eye. That was another day fashion.
Speaker 2: Also the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Also I.
Speaker 1: V in the eighteen hundred, how very dare you?
Speaker 3: But now look everything's changed because Sydney Sweeney wore a sweatshirt which read sorry for having great tits and correct opinions. Correctmu sent bullet bras down the runway. Those are kind of like those very very kind of like aggressively pointy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen them in some music videos.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: And British Vogue said that perky boobs are back in fashion now.
Speaker 5: Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Perky boobs were ever out of fashion, but British Folk has now declared that they are. Holy fashion is a reflection of where we are as a culture.
Speaker 5: Why do you think brests are back?
Speaker 1: Oh, dear, I'm very happy for us all because you know, it's the way that fashions aways moving the goalposts on our actual bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all love that. It's good to have the direction.
Speaker 3: The five episode where they were sitting around in a fashion magazine editorial meeting and one of the women in the meeting was like, I'm thinking.
Speaker 5: Eyebrows, I'm thinking noses. I'm thinking mouths now, we're thinking brass.
Speaker 1: Thinking boobs. It's okay, you don't have to disrupt them down anymore. What I hope, what I suspect, Amelia, but it makes me feel a little bit icky, is that this is all back connected to we talked about recently how we were hopeful that rich face had got out of fashion, which was the very surgery. Look, I don't think it has really, but I think that way. We're talking then about Lauren Sanchez and how she is, you know, met garla queen, queen of the world, queen of the one percent, queen of the space, very breast forward, very breast forward forward, even in those remember the astronaut outfits. Yeah, they were very breast forward. You have to unzip them to here so that you know.
Speaker 3: And people were mad that she attended President Donald Trump's inauguration wearing what appeared to be a wonder bras under her bloser.
Speaker 1: That's true, so she's she's obviously influencing this. But more broadly, there's a lot of pushback, hasn't there been in that sort of very influential tech browie one percent world about how culture had got a bit too feminized men weren't allowed to like what men like. And in that world, you know, men like tits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they like certain type of tit Like it's a type that is exactly what British fogues said, the perky as like, it's not like too big, it's not too small.
Speaker 2: It's like perfect for them.
Speaker 4: It's like the equivalent of a man coming up to you and going, oh, you look so beautiful without any makeup on, and I'm like, so, I'm wearing three layers of foundation, like you don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: And those kind of tips that they want, yeah, I bet they're very specific about the kind of tips. But I do think it maybe is is linked to that, you know, kind of we don't have to pretend anymore that we don't just want to stare at your boobs, right, And I'm not not all men about that, of course.
Speaker 3: Look for those of us who don't believe in discarding or flaunting body parts on a whim, I have an update for you too, and that is that you can be a gym goblin.
Speaker 2: Y yes for me.
Speaker 3: So this is my third and final fashion update of the day, and I think it's probably the most accessible one if I were to pick one, Forget the plates princesses in their matching two piece ensembles, forget the clean girl athleisure aesthetic. Throw out your matchhuck, because twenty twenty six is all about the gym.
Speaker 5: Goblin.
Speaker 3: Tell me what is So it's Goblin Moe goes to the gym. We've talked about goblin mode on the show. The Guardian says it puts it this way. The optics remain much the same as the Goblin think ancient T shirts, knaked socks, oversized cardigans. But the setting has changed and Goblin coreed devotees are rising up from unmade beds, diet cokes in hand to hit the treadmill. I love that image, by the way. So Jennifer Lawrence is a patron saint of the Jim Goblins. She was snapped this northern summer. You have to be snapped. You have to form just using the fashion terminology.
Speaker 2: Here can't help it. This is the script.
Speaker 3: She was wearing a pair of added as slides, red jogger pant because you have to say pant not pants when you're talking about fashion.
Speaker 5: You know, like the red shot, like the shiny.
Speaker 3: Material with a stripe down the side and then a vintage Mickey Mouse t shirt and messy hair so you can Some other examples think Harry Styles running to his Wembley concerts in his little stripe shorts.
Speaker 5: I think JFK Junior in Love.
Speaker 3: Story with the backwards baseball cap and the basketball short.
Speaker 5: Are you getting the idea of it now?
Speaker 2: I also do this.
Speaker 4: I'm a bit of a gym Oh yeah, so what do you wear? I don't wear tights or like any sort of like actual actor wear. The other day I went to my pilate's class in cargo pants.
Speaker 5: That is so cool.
Speaker 2: But I think they were waiting for me to take them off and have short on the knee. But I just kept nice, have been the coolest girl.
Speaker 4: I have questions, Yeah, because they are loud when they rop together.
Speaker 1: That, but also gym tights. They're practical, they don't catch on the exercise bike. They let you do everything. I hope you're not doing reformer pilates cargo This sounds dangerous. You're gonna get caught up in one of those spinny things and be like the.
Speaker 4: Risk you have to take to be comfortable? Why why I'm just not comfortable in tis. I don't like how like my butt's just out there. I don't like how my gym top doesn't fully go on top of it, so like my legs are just they just feel spidery and weird. And I don't like being so exposed. It's also winter and I want to feel warm.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, though, because the reason why athleisure became so prominent and popular is because millennials said that it was comfortable. Like comfort was in fact the cell of wearing leggings everywhere. And now I feel like we're retro fitting an explanation for why we've moved away from leggings. And it's become that leggings are not comfortable, But like leggings are actually objectively they really are.
Speaker 1: If they fit you, they really aren't fit you, then they do kind of cut off, don't fit me. I don't want to say anything, but they are comfortable, but they're not cool, not anymore. Remember that, like it was, as you said, millennials, but not only millennials. It was a mum uniform. It's a it was kind of a weekend uniform for everybody. You go to the shops, the shops and It's interesting because one of my mates. When Brent and I went away recently, one of my mates came down to stay in my house and take my kids to sport. She's a very good mate. She does that kind of thing, and she lives in active weear. She's an active wegger, and she noticed that when she went to football, my daughter's football not none of the women were wearing activewear. And she wondered if it was a country thing, like a country city divide. But I just think maybe my friend is stuck in the fashion.
Speaker 5: I think that's right. Out louders.
Speaker 3: I have presented you with three trends here today just to recap deadly pants, breasts, and Jim Goblin. Let us know which fashion chun you'll be following this season.
Speaker 2: Thank god for you.
Speaker 4: After the break the fan fiction that is causing real life problems for celebrities.
Speaker 5: So today we.
Speaker 1: Found out that Prince Harry definitely does not listen to out Loud, which sadly is a relief given the shit I've said about it with my head in a hot minute. But the reason we absolutely know this to be true is that he went on a podcast right just got released. It's the Joe Marler podcast. Joe Marhler is a British rugby player who has become a celebrity.
Speaker 2: He was on Celebrity Traders last.
Speaker 1: Year and he was duped and it was great and everybody loved it and he's really popular now and he has a podcast.
Speaker 4: Rugby players are becoming so good at having podcasts, like the WWE to like Hollywood Star.
Speaker 2: It's true, right.
Speaker 1: So Harry goes on Joe Miler's podcast. Their mates, they've they've known each other for a while and he was generally adobes, very English, very self deprecating, blah blah blah. But remember last week we advised after Albo made that terrible kiss kill Barry whatever it was era with Kylie Minoga on an Australian comedy podcast, we advised serious public figures not to play those kind of games. That was all he did on the Joe let me play you a tiny bit just of his intro.
Speaker 5: Full name, Henry Charles Albert David Jugsux. It's a long one. I actually thought you've given us your full name would clear things up. It worse made it.
Speaker 4: We any chance of shortening that, Harry, what's your grooming routine with your auburn.
Speaker 8: While we're talking and downstairs and middle stairs, Yeah, and middle stairs to be fair.
Speaker 5: Show obviously.
Speaker 2: A same time.
Speaker 4: No, we have a.
Speaker 2: We have a prince here talking about his sh I think.
Speaker 5: That's charming at all.
Speaker 3: And also, Duke of Sussex is not a last name when his kids go to school. He's not putting Duke of Sussex on like the emergency contact form.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he is.
Speaker 5: I thought it was Mount Batton, Windsor.
Speaker 2: And he definitely.
Speaker 1: He also is asked in this interview what his profession is. That's a great question. So they said what do you do for a job and he said dad, adore see and then he said army veteran and then he said Prince of England.
Speaker 2: Duke is his job description.
Speaker 5: Any of this are you finding this charming?
Speaker 2: I'm into it. I'm into it.
Speaker 4: I I think I'm now a Harry apologist, Like. I love that guy. He's so down to earth, he's so I don't think we talked about how nice years enough on the podcast.
Speaker 1: He did also say when he was saying call me Harry, he also said several times called me.
Speaker 2: H so sweet. I'd love him to ask me to call him.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that he went on There was some really there was some real toilet talk on this, but it mostly came from Joe Marler and Harry laughed and then they went from this kind of silly quick fire into talking about trauma and all kinds of serious things. But as I say, he hasn't taken our advice because a lot of the headlines are about this is like disgusting, embarrassing, blah blah blah blah blah, which Amelia agrees with. I'm just glad that he cleared up the name problem that we know that he is ever he makes everyone call him Duke, Harry.
Speaker 4: Or h We've all heard about fan fiction. If you're a woman, you probably dabbled in the art when you were younger, or maybe you still are right now. If so, send me some links I did. I did, or you could have been like me, which was like the reader of fan fiction on Tumbla. I read a lot of fan fiction on Troy Bolton high school musicals like.
Speaker 3: Tribolton, So this was like fan fiction about pretending to be in the high school with him.
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, fan fiction where the POV was your Gabriella and his Troy Yeah right, and then like there were like scenes that didn't happen in high school music and you're like, oh, this is great, this is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there are lots of servers right that have loads of this.
Speaker 2: If you're a fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what pad is a big one for people who want to write or want to dabble in fan fiction, and you can get your work published on that. Tumblrs like a blog where people published from their own like little website on there. But these fan fictions, like some of them, have become massive global hits. So fifty Shades of Gray actually started off as Twilight fan fiction, they got published into this big thing. The model instrument started off as Harry Potter fan fiction.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 4: But now fan fiction writers have taken this a step further and are starting to write fan fiction not based on characters in books or movies or TV shows, but based on the real life people who play them and the happenings that are happening in their life. The latest victims of this are Hudson Williams and Connor Story, who were the two main leads in Heated Rivalry. The main plot point of that series was the relationship of their characters on the show, and since then, that show's gone absolutely viral. We talked about it on the podcast in great length. They're both very famous. They're both very very famous, going on very cool parties, are hanging out with the Kardashi.
Speaker 1: Did you see a sidebar? Did you see Connor's story hanging out with Madonna at the fashion shows in Paris and he's like chatting away to Madonna like he's lived there all his life and he's been at her parties for years, and it's like you, no one knew who you were five minutes ago, and they are like proper celebrities sitting next to her and she's like, nah, I'm talking to him.
Speaker 4: They got like a standing ovation when they presented at themes they so from that, like fans are now shipping these two actors together, to the point where Hudson posted a tweet that said r P has got to stop real person fiction. So it's like a new subset that's come out from fan fiction where we're now getting all of these fictional stories but based on real life people. Someone who's had a lot of real person fiction written about them is Harry Style wasn't a promise, wasn't holly, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 4: So there's a movie on Netflix called After. Have you heard about this movie?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 4: It's a romance and it's based off a series of books written by Ana Todd that was first published on what Pad as Harry Styles fan fiction, and when it got turned into a movie, they changed the name to Hardin Scott and Harry was actually asked about.
Speaker 2: This in an interview. Here's what he said, tell.
Speaker 6: Me if I got this right, you had some fan who loved you so much that she wrote a fantasy about you, a fantasy love story about you, and then that turned out to be the book After.
Speaker 5: I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can confirmer.
Speaker 5: I'm not entirely educated on the origin of the script or anything.
Speaker 4: So for Harry, he's been asked so many he like, I'm talking about it. He is, so when you watch the video, he's so uncomfortable. This is the only time he's ever really been asked and like commented on it.
Speaker 5: But this if a man interviewing himselves four thousand years old.
Speaker 1: The thing that's funny, well not funny, but because this fan fiction isn't new, as you say this term RPF. I've never heard until this week when it was about the Hudson Williams stories, And I'd never considered, which I says a lot about me. I guess I'd never considered that there was a negative impact of these stories, but I guess they get to a level where if your Connor story in Hudson Williams and you're newly famous, the entire internet is a wash with all these stories about your real life affairs that aren't real, that would get in your head, right, And Zay Malick and Harry Styles lived through this, which is probably why it's so uncomfortable in that when everybody was saying that members of one direction were hooking up when they weren't, and they said they affected them so much that they couldn't touch each other in public anymore and put their arms around each other, wouldn't feed the machine even a little bit because the fans were losing their minds.
Speaker 2: Why are fandoms like this?
Speaker 4: And it's just like manifesting in like person as well, like they've had like some crazy interaction with fans. They were harassed for so long after the series, where people were begging them to tell them like what their sexuality was, Connor Hutson and Connor and even the Anne Hathaway movie The Idea of You, it's like largely rumored to be based off Harry Styles relationship with Olivia Wilde, and it's like we take these like little things and like make it so so big and then kind of just put a life onto these people. And I was like, Oh, this is the life your one hundred percent living. I remember I watched an interview of the Mark Cast and we got Robert Danny Junior and Chris Evans to react to these like fan drawings of them like being in love together, and it was just really weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I feel like I'm kind of in two minds about it. Look, obviously, I don't want anyone to be made uncomfortable. On the other hand, at least people are reading. There was a big Atlantic magazine cover story this week called the End of Reading, and it was full of the usual stats about how short form video has ruined our minds and no one has any intention or concentration for anything anymore. But this is kind of an example of how people are still finding solace in storytelling and who am I to get in the midst.
Speaker 1: Of that people are writing. So this is a gateway for a lot of writers. And when I said at the beginning of this, I used to do this, I did used to do this. It made me realize that when I was a kid and I loved writing, and I loved writing stories, I used to write notebooks and notebooks and notebooks with this big story that was me and all my girlfriends at school and we were dating members of jurandurand look them up.
Speaker 2: Look them up.
Speaker 1: They were a band in the eighties and I was obviously dating the lead singer because it was my story. So I got to be main character, and then my friends would and it was like a series.
Speaker 2: And this was because I wanted to write for your friends.
Speaker 1: And then I'd go to school every day and we'd sit down and I'd read out the list installment here exactly a mere friends would gather around, and that was kind of like a gateway to me writing. But then, if I'm really honest, a lot of celebrity journalism is just this, And even what we do sometimes on this show is just this sometimes. Like so when we talked on the sub show yesterday about say, Jack Antonoff and Margaret Quali's breakup.
Speaker 2: Right, we go, we know these facts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen these pictures, We've heard these stories. Here's what we think happened. A lot of celebrity journalism is that.
Speaker 3: And not just celebrity journalism. Arguably a lot of what means to be a celebrity is that you're allowing or even encouraging people to project things onto you that may or may not be there. One celebrity who does this exceptionally well is, of course Taylor Alison Swift, who knows exactly how to feed the fandom beast, and we're not to feed the fandom beast. The easter eggs in her music are legendary. Before Torture Poets Department came out, everyone thought it was going to be about her breakup with Joe al when it turned out to actually be about her breakup with Maddie Healy, or so we think this is our interpretation of it.
Speaker 5: Now. She hasn't released the wedding dress.
Speaker 3: Photos because she's she's deliberately kind of toying with our idea of interest and attention and what she's going to give us and what she's not going to give us.
Speaker 1: It's true, and I guess you have to have a relationship with it because increasingly fandom is about sluthing. So that example, Taylor Swift encourages that level of sleuthing. She says it's always about her career, not her personal life, but she encourages that level of sleuthing. Know that the way that a lot of all the celebrities stories that we that blow up, that blow up these days involve a lot of internet sleuthing in terms of who's following who, who on followed what, there's a trail here and diita and so we successful brands, whether they're celebrity brands or fictional brands, encourage in a way that level of interaction you've got to give. You've got a game of fire a little bit in your story, but then there's this line they don't want you to cross because it would be very confronting. So there'd be hundreds of stories. Imagine if there was Mom and Mia out loud ah RPF. Imagine if there were people out there were writing stories about like and then this happened and that happened, and it would be entertaining to a point, But then you'd be like, hold on, and I didn't punch Emily in the face.
Speaker 2: I really like it. I didn't push it down the stairs at the train station. It could very quickly do your head in.
Speaker 4: It's the line because when I remember being younger and reading some of this and now I feel after reading about RPF, I feel a bit ikey about it.
Speaker 1: A story in Teine Fogue that said how to read it ethically, and I'm like, calm down, but you.
Speaker 4: Think I actually felt like really grossed out because I would read these stories and reading RPF is so different to reading fan fiction because with fan fiction, you're getting a character and you're like broadening the world of that character and the celebrities out of it.
Speaker 2: So that's like a Harry Potter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a Harry Potter, which we have seen like come into like big productions from those fan fictions. But I think it feels more icky when it's a person because it's like their name, their likeliness, Like celebrities mentioned that they've interacted within real life, and then in my head, I'm like, how is that different than like taking a celebrity and making an AI video of them with other celebrities. It's the same thing. It's just two different creative outlets.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the world is so complicated.
Speaker 2: Let me have my let me have.
Speaker 5: Types.
Speaker 1: That is all we've got time for on out loud today, except we need to tell you about a book giveaway that we are doing. So every host of out loud has chosen two of our favorite books.
Speaker 2: It's really hard to choose.
Speaker 1: Us to quick quiz Ameilia, what we are to famesick and Intermentso and your two.
Speaker 2: Mine was Romantic Comedy and yellow Face.
Speaker 1: And I'm not telling you what mine was, but maybe one of them was written by a prince who was mentioned on this show today.
Speaker 7: Book.
Speaker 1: So there are twelve books because every host has chosen too, and we're giving them away as a package like a big book club treat. And there there's fiction in there, there's nonfiction in there. Much a good collection, it really is. And a lucky subscriber will win this. Right. If you're already a subscriber, you don't need to enter this competition. You are already entered. That is one of the many reasons why being a subscriber is ace. But if you are not a subscriber, subscribe now and you are in the running for that big book pack, it will sort your winter out. You can just hide away and read, so hit the link in the show notes to become a subscriber. And we can't wait for one of you to win our whole.
Speaker 5: Pile of good luck.
Speaker 2: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Mamma and May acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.