Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm Mother and mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the brand new era of well the podcast for your Health and Body Explained. I'm doctor Jinny Mansberg. I'm a GENP and a women's health expert, and basically, I'm here to talk about the annoying, the embarrassing and the scary when it comes to women's.
Speaker 1: Health, because chances are I've heard it, I've.
Speaker 2: Seen it, i've smelted, i've touched it, and I've definitely.
Speaker 1: Traded it all before. And I'm Cas Mahoney, a comedian and an author. I always have crystals in my bra and I like to bring the woo woo because I love shocking Dr Ginny with the things I've bought online, the wellness supplements and the occasional psychic reading.
Speaker 2: You just keep me entertained. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it for us. I've got some crystals here in my bag, right, Okay, So what are we discussing today? Well, we are tackling a topic that is practically buried under a mountain of fitness myths and on slee takes up a lot of our emotional energy. Bally fat. Yeah, surely I'm not alone on that one. Definitely not, And we're looking at what you can do if you're one of the one in three women who experience migrains.
Speaker 2: So common that is me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then we're unpacking your awkward asking for a friend health questions, yes, even though we really know there is no friend, she's a myth.
Speaker 2: But first it is time for what the health your quick dose of women's health headlines.
Speaker 1: How are you well, how are you feeling? Are you well?
Speaker 3: Are you well?
Speaker 1: Cas?
Speaker 2: I've been really blown away by this growing trend of getting women to ask their doctors about having their tubes removed, not tied, but removed for the sole purpose of preventing ovarian cancer, which is one of those cancers that just perennially scares the you know what out of women. They're absolutely terrified of it because it's caught late, there's no symptoms. It's really got a bad prognome, and studies have found that often they seem.
Speaker 1: To start in the tubes and spread up to the ovaries.
Speaker 2: And when I say tubes, i'man fillopian tubes, the ones that carry the egg from the ovary down into the uterus.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: And if we remove your tubes just as a preventive thing, we just take them out. Let's say we're going in there to do an endometriosis cleanup, or we're going to take your appendix out. If we remove your tubes at the same time, studies show we can prevent up to eighty percent of ovarian cancer. So you're seat, yes, if you're vulnerable, this is worth chatting about with your GP. If you've never talked about it before, it's a whole new thing that I've been really fascinated by.
Speaker 1: And you're really we're talking about post children.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not going to be able to conceive a baby naturally if you don't have tubes. Those tubes are essential for conception. But if you've done with that, or if you are going to get something like pregenetic testing anyway, like you are not going to go via the tube or route anyway, then maybe it's something that you could at least discuss with your Ovarian cancer tends to happen to older women anyway, so it's unlikely we would be doing it to a twenty year old. But there are women who are at very high risk for genetic reasons. Maybe they have conditions to put them at high risk. It is not for everyone, but it is definitely worth having a conversation with your doctor about if you think that's something that you would benefit from. This is gaining momentum. There are far more gynecologists bringing this up with their patients and doing this surgery. It's not mainstream and absolutely everywhere yet, but I think it will be, so watch this space. Yeah. Grip strength is one of these things that just keeps coming up and study after study showing that it's like a predictor of how long you're going to live and how healthy you're going to be into your age, and like so much of me is just tempted to go that is just the biggest load of bologney I've ever heard, except that every single study shows the same thing. So what I don't know, or what researchers don't know, is is it just like a proxy for your generalized strength, Like, is it sort of if you've got a strong hand, you also have strong gut muscles and strong leg muscles. Is there some special magic in the hands. At this point, I'm not going to say, like do jar opening exercises and like go to the gym specifically to work on your hands, because that's the best way to live longer.
Speaker 1: But if you are somebody who thinks that.
Speaker 2: Your health is really bad but you are awesome with a handshake, you might actually have some really good news on your side here.
Speaker 1: So rock climbers are going to live a long time. Okay, Dr Jenny over to the internet and what I've found for us to discuss this week olive oil and bone broth. I'm asking the question, de viral gut health foods actually work or are they just filling my algorithm At the moment, I'm seeing like cheer seed, water, seamoss, gel, bone broth are all being promoted as ways to improve energy, moods, and digestion. But scientists say evidence for many of these claims are limited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's exactly right. We don't know that they don't work. Yeah, we don't know that they do work. The studies haven't been done, and it is really hard to fund a study that does not have like some commercially behind it.
Speaker 1: But gut healing or gut health is not a bad thing.
Speaker 2: What they're trying to do is nurture good bugs to grow within your guts that do really good things for your immune system and actually put out really interesting hormones that affect your entire body. We don't know that any of these particular viral trends do that more than let's say, a great salad or some rock fried vegetables. We don't know.
Speaker 1: So if you love a sey mos gel, you do you. I'm very happy for you. If you love a bone broth instead of a cup of tea or power to you.
Speaker 2: For the rest of us, just cape eating the healthy food.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a bit of bone broth, but I.
Speaker 2: Think m'sure one that you buy or do you make your own?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I mean I barely make toast. No, I definitely buy it. Okay. Up next, we need to talk about belly fat. We're breaking down the massive role that chronic stress plays and why losing abdominal fat has way less to do with calories and way more to do with your hormones. How are you, How are you hearing? Are you well? Are you well? All right?
Speaker 2: It is time for Are you Well, where we unpack the most important conversations that are happening in health right now. Now.
Speaker 1: First up today, CAF.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited about this because we're going to talk about the thing that is so distressing to my patients, like to a woman, and that is the belly fat. They are saying, what is going on with this? They are pointing to their bellies and to a woman, they're really worried about, even if they haven't stacked on kilos, the fact that they're thickening up around the waist. So I thought we could talk about exactly what belly fat is and how it differs to the jiggly stuff on your thighs.
Speaker 1: Ah Me and my Tami are or LEAs okay cat, yes, tell me ready.
Speaker 2: There are basically two types of fat in your body. The belly fat is also known as visceral fats. So what you see is actually only part of the story because actually most of the fat is sitting around the organs that are inside your belly. So things like your liver, your pancreas, the guts themselves now start to get coated with fat and that expands your waistline, so it's not sitting under the skin, it's actually internal. And what's really important about this is that that fat behaves differently inside your body, emitting all of these crazy pro inflammatory chemicals.
Speaker 1: That actually wreak havoc throughout the.
Speaker 2: Body, including your brain, your immune system, your heart.
Speaker 1: It's wild different to the fat on main.
Speaker 2: A thigh under my eyes, so we call that your subcutaneous fat, that wobbly fat. Actually, it doesn't seem to secrete any of those nasty adipokinds those hormones that are secreted by your visceral fat, and in some studies it could even be protective against some of those chronic diseases that are driven by your belly fat. So actually, if you see a wobble on your bottom, welcome it because it actually could be.
Speaker 1: Good news for your body.
Speaker 2: But we do need to talk about that belly fat because that's exactly what you don't want as you get older and you're looking to prevent those chronic diseases.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tell me how are we going to stop it?
Speaker 2: Okay, So think of your belly fat. Yeah, all of the chemicals that it sends out into the body, being in competition with your muscles, and all of the chemicals it sends out into your body that are anti inflammatory, build your immune system, build parts of your brain that prevent falls, like help your balance. It's wild how much those myokinds the muscle derived chemicals actually do. And the more muscle you have, the more antagonism you get of the Adippo kinds coming out of your belly fat. So in that war, muscle is the winner. We want to actually have more resistance training to actually combat that and build your muscle and actually can reduce your belly fat as well. In terms of your food, your enemy is your highly processed carbohydrates, anything out of a packet. Those things and like soft drinks as well, seem to really draw your body's ability to make belly fat. So they are like now off the menu. Like as if we haven't talked about that enough on this show, but like we have to really drive that message home. We want more protein, less stress hahah. Like that's easy to do. And cardio like your aerobics, you're running, it's gonna help, but it's not as much as you think it's. Actually your resistance training is going to do more.
Speaker 1: Really so not so I should not sign up for marathon? Is so what you're saying, Oh, you're not signing up from Maria? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you and I sorry wink week. Yes, we definitely don't want to be doing marathons. Well, if you love marathons and you're a listener to this show, we are so insupportive. Yes, But for the rest of us who couldn't think of anything worse, it's fine. What we can do is go for a walk, a brisk walk, for half an hour a day. But we've just got to do like probably one and a half to two hours a week of that resistance training to build up those muscles.
Speaker 1: So resistance training is literally going to do more for my Tami than the cardio. Yes, that's because I think shredded the cardio.
Speaker 2: I always think of show, and I think that certainly happens when you're younger.
Speaker 1: But as you cross over the threshold.
Speaker 2: Into menopause, you just get this tendency to accumulate the belly fat, that fat around your organs, and that's what we will really be going to war against.
Speaker 1: So why as we as we hit manopause, does it sit around our time anymore.
Speaker 2: We don't know. Like we assume it's to do with estrogen, and that estrogen puts wobbly fat onto your bottom and stops it going onto your organs, But.
Speaker 1: We don't know that for sure. We're just assuming it. What about my crunches that I don't do, they're helping all the crunches you don't go or not my cruncheese that I eat. My crunches and my ab works. I think we can say are solid.
Speaker 2: No on the exercise you don't do, but any exercise that you do that is like resist because crunches are really good for resistance, soul push ups, they're all are.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're a hard those your pilates class. That's great. So basically, no bad food and more exercise.
Speaker 2: Well, when we say no bad food, let's just say let's minimize that. Okay, and none of us in this room are wearing a halo that I can from us. You is just more good, less bad. Is going to be the motto of will from now on in We're.
Speaker 1: Gonna get Henna tattoos with that on. Oh yeah, maybe a coffee marm did emerge. Yeah. Up next, we need to talk about migraines, what's actually going on in the brain when they hit, and why they are a lot more than just a bad headache.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving on now, and in our next are you well, we're going to talk migraines.
Speaker 1: Something close to my well not my heart, my head. Let's go. So, Kath, you are a migraine sufferer. Yes, I'm a card carrying migraine sufferer. How often, Oh, I feel very hormonal around was sort of around my periods and then when I was pregnant, and now I think I've got some as part of my perimenopause mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they often go up in perry, mainly because you're having hormone swings, and hormones are such a driver of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm all across a migraine like a hot chip. For our listeners who aren't, what is the difference between a migraine and a headache?
Speaker 2: It can be really hard to tell. For the one in three women who do get migraines in Australia's and that number just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It is a severe headache, and the classic.
Speaker 2: Stereotype is that it's one side that it comes on really suddenly, that it comes on with like some warning signs, maybe some blurred vision or smelling something weird, and you can't tolerate bright lights or really loud sounds, and you often want to throw up or even do throw up. In my experience, what a migraine is is a headache that is so severe that you cannot just get on with it and take a couple of pounds at all. It's a really nasty, nasty headache, and that's going to make a lot of listeners go, oh, that could be me. A lot of my patients have never been told they've got migraines, but they've been missing.
Speaker 1: Work because of headaches for years, and that.
Speaker 2: Is a migraine. That is exactly what a migraine is.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what actually causes them?
Speaker 2: Honestly, we don't know. It's interesting you were saying that a lot of your family members have them. It so runs in families, it does, okay for sure, and I see women with migraines getting much worse around Perry, but often their kids are coming home from school with really debilitating headaches. It happens in kids as well, and that's something worth knowing about. What is really easier to decode is what are your triggers. So hormones are the big one, but for a lot of women, it's stress. It's missing sleep again, that's so bad in Perry. It's like skipping meals can trigger a migraine that some people have, like chocolate or red wine. If you know what your triggers are, and sometimes you need to do a headache diary. But if you know what they are, you've got a better chance of staying on top of it and heading them off.
Speaker 1: At the past, yeah, I mean for me, it just seemed to be hormones. There was no kind of other trigger, but it was just like bang and they are You're out for the count. Okay. For those listening at home who think they might be having migraines or do have them and want to know more, what do we do when we feel when coming on?
Speaker 2: So I think the first thing to do is to check in with your GP, maybe with a headache diary, so you can see what patterns you're looking at. If it's always coming on before your period, if it's up and down like a yo yo, but you're in.
Speaker 1: Piry, that's very very valid.
Speaker 2: I also want to know what time of the day they're coming on, so we can try and help you plan for this. There are medications that we can get you to start on, and sooner is better than later. It's much easier to head off a migraine before it's at its most severe than once that horse has bolted, so early on in the piece, take either some sort of over the counter painkiller, a nonstoidlan inflammatory drug, even something like an ibuprofen or a paracetamol. If you can do that early, and you can even get these specialized migraine treatments that are called triptnds that help control the way your blood vessels work during a migraine. You can get those over the counter. It's more expensive than getting them on a script. But if you can tell your GP, I've tried these tripped hands and this worked or it didn't work, that can really help us decode going on with your headache. And even if you have a tension headache which tends to come on at the end of the day and feels like a tight band around your head and it's not so severe that you feel like you need to go home, they can trigger migraines as well, So really take a note of that and go to your GP with that, and then we might try and help get you some preventters. So there are different things that we can prevent it with. There are certain medications and if you meet the criteria for chronic migraine, this is really important.
Speaker 1: Well, does a chronic migraine.
Speaker 2: So the definition of that is that you have ten days a month with a headache of some sort, eight being severe enough to.
Speaker 1: Be that's a lot, but it's.
Speaker 2: More common than you think. Then with that, if that's happened for more than three months in a row, you are now eligible to go to a neurologist a specialists and get like. There's a whole raft of migrain preventers out there. Everything from botox on medicare go to one different points around your head and your neck. It's not meant to relax your neck muscles. It's actually meant to control the nerves that stimulate and actually cause a migraine.
Speaker 1: Through to these new.
Speaker 2: Injection medications that can prevent migraines and actually reduce them by half or even more. So, those headache diaries are worth gold because it can tell us more than you think. Most of my patients underestimate their migraines. They're not being hypochondriac, they're quite the opposite.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've suffered from migraines since I was ten. I had no idea of half of that stuff. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think my passion is that more women come forward and get treatment, because I think too many women are actually just sucking it up. And I mean so many my patients don't even realize that their headaches are migraines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I do have to say, unless you've suffered from migraines, like I've had to pull out of social events, I've been driving to things when the trails come on, which is kind of the bleary eyed, and I've had to go home. And you know, mister friends fortieth, and I think unless you know the pain, people are like, oh, she's just got a headache, you know. So I think it's really important for women to feel seen and heard when it comes to this. I'm just asking for a friend, So my friend, they want to know. It's not for me, Jack, just asking for a friend. Ah, It's time for everyone's favorite d dinner. Asking for a friend. Awkward health questions that we all know aren't actually about your friend, but we pretend they are anyway. Okay, today's question comes in from an anonymous listener. The plot thickens, Doctor Ginny, what have we got? Hi? Doctor Ginny?
Speaker 3: And kath asking for a friend? I really am this is not about me? Is wetting yourself? Actually normal. My friend's wears it's no big deal, but every now and then she'll leak a little when she laughs, sneezes, coughs, or exercises. She's always assumed it's just one of those things that happens after having kids or when you're getting older, but now she's wondering whether that's actually true. And to be honest, so am I how much polity leakage is considered normal, if any? And at what point should someone stop putting up with it and get it checked out?
Speaker 2: Oh? Anonymous, thank you so much for sending in my favorite ques ever?
Speaker 1: Oh is it you didn't know?
Speaker 3: That? Is you?
Speaker 1: Trivia section? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ques?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: Can I just tell you this is so common and no one talks about it. I agree with your friend, like, it is really really common, and not just in women who've had lots of long labors. You can have had one cesarean and it happens to you. I've got friends who've never had kids and it happens to them. And let's face it, you've got a lot of stuff sitting on what is a very small muscle of your pelvic floor and it gets stretched and then you get like a bit of menopause thrown in and there's not enough estrogen sort of to tighten up the ubrethrow.
Speaker 1: Which is the little tube that takes.
Speaker 2: We straight out from the bladder out to the vulva, and it's expelled there.
Speaker 1: Men have got such a nice little design.
Speaker 2: There's a little kink like it goes down but then it goes up again, which means that gravity is on their side. For women, it's like there is nothing to hold it in other than that pelvic floor. And if you have got extra stuff in your pelvis, let's say you've got a big uterus because you've got a fibroids. Seventy percent of women age fifty have a fibroid. Let's say you're very constipated like Kathy. You know, that's another favorite. I love talking Pooh And a lot of my patients have a lot of stuff sitting on the pelvic floor, like clogging up their rectum. It all just puts pressure on that poor little pelvic floor and she's not doing well. She's not doing well out there. And we all got told to do kegel exercises after we had our babies. Did any of us do them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I did not don't do a poet.
Speaker 1: Talk about it.
Speaker 2: I only ever do this when I have this conversation and then I forget tens ayears later, like we don't do it. And so the reality is studies show that pelvic floor physio can really help the problem with real world pelvic floor physio is number one, no one's got time. Number two, no one does their homework because we're all so busy, And number three, we just put up with it because we don't talk about it and we don't go like this actually sucks. I don't want my underpants smelling like a pub urinal. I don't really want to not be able to go do some sport in case I accidentally unload the entire contents of my bladder into my netbul gear. Like this is actually a really big problem, and especially if it means that you can't exercise.
Speaker 1: You don't stopping you do things, and.
Speaker 2: It's stopping you drinking and you now become dehydrated, we do need to address it. So girls, this is going to be like a well movement. Can we talk about the pelvic floor? Can we just talk about it and the fact that we do need to be doing our pelvic floor exercises that if you do your pelvic floor physio, if you address your constipation, if you deal with a massive fibroid, if it's there, we can actually help you quite a lot. And it's not like the answer is either surgery or suck it up, princess. There is a world of stuff we can do between here and there to actually fix our pelvic floors and get you drinking properly again.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are we starting with public floor exercises?
Speaker 2: Maybe have a chat to your GP, if you feel comfortable to see your GP about it, because you could even maybe get a chronic disease management plan to actually go to a physio and get some subsidive on Medicare for that. Let's just see what happens. But I think the more we talk about it and accept that this is now impinging on your life. Your health depends on adequate hydration and doing exercises.
Speaker 1: You get older.
Speaker 2: If we talk about this, we can actually fix it. Love this, So Anonymous, can we just tell your friend, let's get her off to the GP, that what she's experiencing is not cool, it's not okay, and we're going to actually work on her pelvic floor and she's going to take it as seriously as any other health message, because this is going to impact her for the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: Wow, you are so passionate about that.
Speaker 2: Pooh, we Vagina's got all my passions.
Speaker 1: I just love that. Okay, Right, so we're all pelvic floor exercising right now.
Speaker 2: Right now we are Okay.
Speaker 1: I've got another dilamma for you, Ginny. The question comes from thirty four year old Irene Hey Irene, Hi, Doctor Ginny and Cath.
Speaker 4: I'm thirty four and i sleep seven to eight hours a night, but I'm exhausted all the time. I put it down to being a busy working mum, but lately I feel like I'm running on no matter how much rest I get. At what point does this tiredness stop being just life and become something worth getting checked out?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 1: You're there, Irene.
Speaker 2: You've written to us as well, and I think you are there if you are getting seven to eight hours of sleep, and lucky you. I think it's because you're thirty four and you haven't quite hit your perry stage yet, because once you hit pery, no one sleeps anymore. But I have some questions for you that I think you're going to need.
Speaker 1: To take to your GP.
Speaker 2: Are you overweight, Irene, Now, this is not a do you look good in a sum in costume thing. I'm actually thinking about something called sleep out near which is underdiagnosed in women, and being overweight puts pressure on your upper airways and makes them.
Speaker 1: Collapse, particularly if you sleep.
Speaker 2: On your back. Now, men snore like a train, and women pick up there. If they're in a heterosexual relationship, they pick up on their husband's snoring like there's no tomorrow. Nobody picks up on ol snoring, cath do they No, because men sleep through the night like a dream and they don't notice we're snoring. And if they do that, don't comment on it. I've never had a patient come to me ever and say my partner, my male partner, says that I snare same sex. Partner's different story.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is the situation.
Speaker 2: We don't even know whether you snore, but we know that you can have sleep disordered breathing, which will leave you in the morning waking up exhausted and just not being able to shake that exhausted feeling, often waking up with a headache. So often without realizing that you clench your jaw in order to try and open your airways as they're collapsing at night. So that clenching can actually make you wake up with a headache, waking up with a sore throat if you open your mouth really wide to train inhale breath, and it's often a thickness around the middle, so you actually start to put on weight, but particularly that peri visceral fat that we were talking about earlier, so that belly fat. So if that's if you've put on a lot of weight, and if you think that you could be snoring at night, if you're waking up with a headache or a sore throat, mention all of this to your doctor because we can get a sleep study and get that diagnosed and fixed. Are you bleeding heavily every single month? Because iron deficiency can also make you bone weary, tired.
Speaker 1: A blood test will help pick that up.
Speaker 2: But can I just say there too many women get an iron test get their iron fixed, and no one ever says, but why it has all your iron gone? Having iron deficiency from heavy bleeding is not normal. We need to go and get that fixed as well. So are we going to investigate that do you feel really cold? Are you more constipated than usual? Is your hair really dries? Your skin really dry? Could you have a thyroid problem? Again, your doctor will take a history, do an examination, but a blood test will be required, and then you know it could be just a post viral kind of syndrome that is happening around, like after COVID, but even after flu you can feel tired for months afterwards. They're the top sort of things that I'm thinking about. But you need your GP to go on this journey with you. But like you need to book in today, Irene or your friend does at any rate, if you're a little bit oldert Iron, because you're thirty four. But if you you're a little bit older, I'd be thinking, is perimenopause the driver here? Because literally ninety percent of my patients who are in Perry are just so tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well we're not getting sevente eight hours sleep. They are way no, definitely, so that's definitely not us.
Speaker 2: Okay, if that is ringing true for you, Kath, I have just got the best news because very Pery is here. It's been created by Muma Maya. It's basically featuring twenty five of the world's leading health experts, including me, because I.
Speaker 1: Discussing exactly what.
Speaker 2: You can do if perimenopause is basically getting on top of you.
Speaker 1: That means no wait less, no more three am doom scrolling, just credible information you can watch whenever and wherever you want. Head over to very Perry dot com dot au to get access today.
Speaker 2: Okay, kat, that's it from us another app I know so good. Guys, don't forget to follow the show just so you never miss an episode like how good is it? You would not want to be missing this.
Speaker 1: No thanks.
Speaker 2: If you follow the show, it'll drop straight into your feed automatically.
Speaker 1: How good.
Speaker 2: And also do make sure you're following us on socials to stay up to date with every madcap thing that we're doing, including all of the crystals in ques Bra. Love that.
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear you're asking for a friend question, send us an email or voice note to well at mammameir dot com dot A. You and we and by we I mean doctor Ginny. We'll get to the bottom of it. And please remember information discussed in this podcast is for education purposes only and is not intended to provide professional medical advice. Please seek your own medical advice specific to your circumstances from your healthcare professional. See you next time and stay well. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land.
Speaker 3: We've recorded this podcast on the Gettigill people of the Urination and the wan to Erwer people.
Speaker 1: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that was back to all Aboriginal and Torrestrata land are cultures