Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with Mia podcast. Deep down in my whole being, I knew that I was going to have my first baby on my own. I've always thought it, and I've never met anyone that I want to have a baby with since that knowing. So I just thought, well, you ain't getting any younger. I'm thirty six next month, and I really just thought it, now's the time, like I'm not waiting for anyone.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to No Filter. I'm Kate Lanebrook and today we're welcoming back to the show. Someone you will definitely remember. Angie Kent first joined us in twenty nineteen, just after the Bachelourette, when she was newly in love and stepping into a very public new chapter. Well, a lot has changed since then. In the years since, Angie has gone inward, done a lot of reflection, made some deeply intentional choices about how she wants her life to live, and she's also moved into a yurt. Most recently, she shared her decision to become a solo mum by choice, documenting her IVF journey and opening up a much bigger conversation about modern motherhood, partnership, and autonomy. This is a thoughtful, honest conversation about trusting your instincts, letting go of timelines that no longer fit and maybe never did, and choosing a life that feels aligned even when it looks different to what you imagined. Here is Angie Kent. Angie Kent, welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. I'm a bit excited now.
Speaker 2: I know this is not your first rodeo, because you also had a rodeo or rodeo with mea in twenty nineteen. I did when you were fresh off BATCHI.
Speaker 1: I remember that now. That was such a good chat.
Speaker 2: And if you think about that version of you now, does it feel like a version or does it feel like you're on a continuum of evolution and the same you.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's such a good question. You know what a bit of both. I think I look back at that person, what's that twenty nineteen, so six seven six seven years ago? And I think, who.
Speaker 2: Is sixty six years ago?
Speaker 1: Who is that little person that had no real idea of anything to do with a television or dating multiple people at once, and then all the media and whatnot, And then now looking at myself thinking it is the same person, but I've just I don't know, I feel different, but I also feel the same, if that makes sense. I don't know. It's a hard one.
Speaker 2: The whole point of being alive is that where you start at A is not where you end up at Z or along the way at C or F or whatever. Well that's so you are constantly evolving, but you seem to have had many incarnations. When you started on goggle Box, yeah, and you were with ev did that feel to you like the start of something or just an adventure?
Speaker 1: I feel like that was the start of something in the in terms of us being on television, but in terms of our relationship and where we were. We lived together with a man with down syndrome and rescue dogs, and it felt like and I kind of, you know, I was at that age where I was. I would have been just twenty five when we started Gogglebox, And when you're twenty five, I feel like you feel like the world is on your shoulders. I don't know what it is. I don't know why we think that. Maybe it's because we just turn into adults around that age, really, and I felt so like, what am they going to do with my life? I'm just you know, I'm just kind of nannying and working behind the scenes in production and I'm not really dating. And you know, you hit that twenty five year old age and you feel like society's like, so, when are you're going to get a boyfriend or a girlfriend, or when are you gonna have your real career? And then goggle Box kind of came and it did kind of feel like, wow, like what is going to happen with this? And we kind of rode the wave and it went kind of crazy there for a while. It was it was quite the adventure.
Speaker 2: What you're describing really is the quintessential caught to life crisis. I think, yeah, that happens, you know, mid twenties. I mean some people have it their whole life. Yeah, and I think particularly in modern times because there's so much comparison. Yeah, and comparison really eats awayat at your notion of self worth or direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's what it is if you compare yourself to say, for me, people back home where they had already been married for three or four years, I'm originally from the Sunshine Coast or you know, they already started having kids, and I was always this kind of classified as this wild person that left as soon as she graduated from high school and went to university and lived in America, Like I always kind of did the opposite to what was expected of me. So then when I, yeah, hit twenty five, you feel like your quarter life crisis, Like you feel so old, and I look back and I just want to shriek myself and be like, you're so young. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't be so frickin' serious, because I feel like I'm less serious now than I was then in terms of feeling everything so deeply. But I think that also comes with age therapy, the right diagnosis. I'm now medicated very well for my ADHD and my autism. Well, not that you can be medicated for autism, but I understand it better now that I'm like, I feel things and I can kind of like go, okay, that's what that is, Let it go, that's what that is, instead of being like, oh my god, my world is going to end, like it's just a feeling now. And I think that's one of the best things about getting older, is that you kind of get to learn more about yourself in that way and not compare as much.
Speaker 2: When you talk about your upbringing. And I was interesting because I was listening to you on a podcast where you just alluded to the fact that you said you had a lot of anxiety growing up.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of anxiety.
Speaker 2: What was the origin of that or what was the manifestation of that? Do you think I think.
Speaker 1: That I looking back now, I do understand it probably wasn't just anxiety. It probably was undiagnosed, a lot of it, undiagnosed ADHD and not knowing my place right, I guess with having a brother that was so kind of easily diagnosed with back then you would say aspergis we don't say that now. Obviously it's just autistic spectrum. And he had a chromosome abdomality, so everything was kind of like focused on his diagnosis and how he was held in the world, whereas I was the oldest sibling and it was kind of like you needed to do this, you need to do that. And I always kind of felt like I had to be perfect, and yeah, I kind of just carried on with me until my teens, and I yeah, kind of took it out on my body and ways of having a severe eating disorder, and then obviously that creates more anxiety because of information and everything and just navigating family. I mean, everybody has a story with their family, and it wasn't always easy growing up. So I was quite an anxious but very high masking person. I could perform right.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to say, because when the country fell in love with you on goggle Box, and they did, and it was a different time than when everybody was watching that show, everybody was watching television and everybody was watching you watching television wild, So it did come across as just so like an authentically happy young woman who was in a very unusual situation. You mentioned Tom earlier, the young man that you lived with, Yes, and the situation with Ev where it was just lovely to see. Yeah, And yet what you're saying is that under that there was not It was not the happy young woman that we were reading on the screen.
Speaker 1: Not always. No, I think in those moments where you saw me with Ev and the dogs, I was genuinely happy watching television with my best friend in the world and having all those rescue dogs around, and we got to drink whatever we wanted. So obviously we're always a little bit buzz the first few seasons, we were like they had to kind of realist in and be like, yeah, you probably can't get that drunk and say that stuff anymore. Thank god I was back then, otherwise we would have been a cancel. These days, you could not say the shit we we used to say and be that drunk on television. Now, it's just different times. It was like ten years ago, right, But behind all of that, there was a girl that had severe eating disorder for fifteen years. What I thought was just chronic anxiety, navigating just the highs and lows of my body forever changing. I didn't know I had endometriosis, adino myosis, pcos PMDD, all these things I didn't know, So I would often just numb, numb, numb, numb, numb, whether that be alcohol, whether that be at the time severely bollimic, whether that be working myself to the ground. I was just constantly numbing so I could be the perfect person that I thought was for everybody. So yeah, no, it wasn't what you saw on Google Books. Was definitely Angie. But there was another side of me, for sure.
Speaker 2: And in a way it seems like if you look at the trajectory of your life, which has been marked with some really significant reality television moments. It's like the quest for yourself is to return to the essence of who that woman is, that young woman, which is you, but having learnt things and divesting yourself of the things that aren't serving you along the way.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. That's so perfectly put. I feel like that person on the couch that you saw that had no idea of you know, the judgment from the outside world or social media. Really even back then. I love that person so innocent and so open to say whatever came to her mind, but also with the knowledge of how to better look after myself, how to stick up for myself, how to not take things on, to know more about therapy, medication, all of that. I love the two mixed together as a beautiful way to look at it. I think I support that Angie Moore, like I just want to cuddle her and not be upset. Whereas you know you spend so much time beating yourself up, going why did you do that back then? But now I look at her and I just want to like squeeze a little face and say, you know what you were doing the best you could Joe, you were doing the best you could, and the.
Speaker 2: Best was great. But the essence when I talk about the essence of you, and this leads us onto the next sort of chapter, the essence of you was someone who seemed to have confidence in the fact that they were loved and lovable. Right, that's just the essence of what you projected. And then yet not too many years later, you ended up being the Bachelorette, and I was astounded. I remember this series because I remember you saying you had never been in love.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so, not at the time, not like that truly madly, deeply loved. But to be hones, As I've gotten older, I feel like I have been in love, but in different ways, like I am so in I don't know if this is weird, but I think loves in different films, like I'm so in love with my dog, I'm so in love with my friends, I'm so in love with my house. But no, I don't feel like even now I've had that like I can't live without you type of love. I don't even know if that is real. I don't know if that's just a movie thing or if it is real life.
Speaker 2: Because you had this lovely connection with Karlin, who was very kind to you and really looked out for you and played the guitar to you. Yeah, which is a beautiful lot. And I was surprised to hear you say that. And yet there was a drive in you to try and find that romantic love, wasn't there?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, and where did that drive come from?
Speaker 1: I felt like because I was twenty nine and I had never really put relationships first. I've always been career, travel friends, family, to the point that was probably a bit detrimental to myself more often than not. But I thought, okay, well, I'm twenty nine. I just left goggle Box. I lost the love of my life, my nanny, and not long before that my Poppy, who was also the love of my life. And I felt all this loss and all this change, and then even and I were like, nah, we can't do goggle Box anymore because I wanted to go keep traveling and find myself. And then we got offered the Jungle I'm a celebrity, and then the Bachelorette came after that, so it was all just like boom boom, boom boom, and I thought to myself okay, because I'm a bit woo woo spiritual, and I thought to myself, Okay, my nanny and my poppy want you to find a partner. And so so when the Bachelorette popped up after the Jungle, where I really thought I found myself in the jungle, I did love that experience. I was like, this is it, this is how I find myself, my person. And I really like pedal to the metal. Like everything I do in my life, I gave it my all and I really really did want to fall in love. And I think a part of me did love my Top three, like I was obsessed with my Top three. I still look back and I'm like, oh my god, but yeah I did. I do think I did love, But looking back now, I don't feel that love. I guess that's because that's like every relationship when you break up, right, you're like, oh, well that's a lesson.
Speaker 2: Why do you think you weren't in love.
Speaker 1: With anyone or that particular person?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, like I guess. I mean, do you think it's something inside you that you're still unlocking the keys to yourself?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think so?
Speaker 2: Or is it that you believe there's still a person that you know the Dutch of got A saying there's no pot so crooked there isn't a lead somewhere to fit it. And is it that you that you haven't found that crooked lead yet?
Speaker 1: I don't know about that, because I still to this day, don't put a whole lot of pressure on finding the one. I'm super content with working on me being the one. I desperately want to be a mother without the one. I've always thought I was going to be a mother without the one. I don't fully think that I'm closed off to finding somebody else one day or multiple somebody else is depending on what chapter of my life it is. I guess yes, but no, I'm not. I don't know if it's just part of my little tism brain, but I don't put a lot of pressure on relationships. I'm like so happy single, Like it's actually sad how much I spend time on my own. Well, other people think it's sad. I love it. I just I don't mind being single. And maybe after I have a baby, I may be like, ah, oh my god, Okay, now I want to really really date. We'll just have to wait and see what these hormones do.
Speaker 2: Well. I think a lot of people say the extraordinary nature of love that you have for a baby can often eclipse other types of love. Yes, but where are you at with that journey? Because I was going to say, here's another chapter in your in your reality show journey that is really punctuated periods of your life. And we've been able to keep abreast of the changing in you through watching you on these shows. So Big Miracles, the show about people conceiving trying to conceive using basically the gift of science, Yes, the gift of IVF. So you're now on that path, I am. I saw a clip of the show, Yes, where are you into it? Because I saw a clip of you on the show with some friends choosing your sperm donor, which is, as you say, the most momentous decision that you're making.
Speaker 1: So I filmed that show in twenty four and I was blessed enough to get fourteen embryos from that IVF round, which I was totally blown away by, given the fact that I've had three laparoscopies for my endometriosis and PCOS and recently diagnosed with I don't know if you say adinomiosis or adnomiosis people say it differently, and just a bunch of other stuff going on in there. I am now at the stage where I am back on my magic mountain. I like to call it. It's a very healing mountain. I don't know anybody here. I spend most of my time moving, renovating, healing, hanging out with my dog. And I thought, you know what, I'm so ready to have my last laparoscopy, do a big clear out of anything that's in the way there that's causing me any pain or strife. And then after that it's go time. I'm putting one of one of the fourteen embryos in my body and pray that I hold.
Speaker 2: Is that your plan for this year?
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm hoping by the end of March I will be able to do my first embryo trans Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't go anywhere. We'll be back with Angie after this short break. What happened with you and Carlin?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 1: I thought I was going to get out of that one. Look, I think I don't like to talk about him anymore at all. We didn't have the best break up, and anytime I was asked about it. I wanted to give my truth, but then that was kind of like a I would then get the repercussions. It's been so long that I hold no bad blood towards him. He's married, Yes, he has a baby, I think somebody told me. And as long as he is happy and he's his best version, because we weren't each other's best versions together by the end. At first it was lovely, and then the pandemic hit and it was just yes, it was just nasty. By the end, it was just we just did not vibe.
Speaker 2: Was the intensity of it too much? Too soon?
Speaker 1: I think on that show, you're like all you ever know is love, love, love, love, love, love love. You're taken away from your friends, your family, you have no phone, you've got producers around you. You're on like a movie set of love. Like it's so wild. When I look back, I'm like, oh my god, and you just like you then leave, And to be honest, I didn't know who I was going to pick. I was so torn by my top two their first time in history. They were like, there's never been a woman that just everybody always knows and they pretend they don't, But I did not know. I have made my mind up on that day, and I thought Carlum was the safest choice of I'm to be honest, he seemed really safe. He'd been married before. He was like super like chill compared to the other dudes. Right, yeah, but he just we gave it a year and then the pandemic hit. It was just too much time together and he and I just weren't compatible. Let's just say it like that, right.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because what you were saying about, I mean, I think there's often this disconnect when people leave a reality series, but particularly like The Bachelor's because you've literally had whistereia wrapped around every every pillar of every building that you go near, and then you step into the real world where MUD's splattering out of the gutter. Yeah, it's a real shot.
Speaker 1: It's like a drop, It's like and no one's.
Speaker 2: Laying out Yeah, no one's laying out a cheese platter for you with a buy a fire piece, with a cozy bland, and.
Speaker 1: No one's making you look like a Barbie doll every single day of your life. For eight weeks, you have full glam. All you care about is finding love and looking the right way and thinking that someone here is your one when really you don't know them. They're just telling you what you what they want you to know. And then it's the whirlwind of the press and everybody going, oh why didn't you pick this one? And oh my god, it was such it's such a full on show, like no one prepares you for it. It's pretty fucked up, to put it lightly.
Speaker 2: Well, when you go into it, is there an undertaking? Is there an undertaking or an understanding that of the mean that they have put in the hands that they do believe. Obviously they put some in because it's showbies and you need some friction, you need a bit of sand in the oyster so it can make a purpose. Yes, But is the understanding that they have put in some men who genuinely they believe are a match for you.
Speaker 1: That's what they tell you, But I don't. Yeah, I think so, because back then it wasn't as toxic as it is now. It was still very much like we want the franchise to keep going because we have success stories like Tim and Anna and Sam and schez Oh I don't know how to say her name, probably yeah, yeah, and a bunch of others Maddie and Laura for example, Like there's so many amazing success stories.
Speaker 2: Yes, you actually think.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I could be Maddie and Laura, or I could be whoever is a bunch of them are still together? Jimmy, Yeah, like you do you well, that was after me, but you do hold that home. So I do believe back then, Yes, and they make you feel like they've picked the best people in the world for you, And of course I believe them. But no, I do think they do put a few in there. There were some goodies, but you look back and it wouldn't be people I date now, but in my twenties they were great for my twenties for sure.
Speaker 2: Who would you date now?
Speaker 1: From where the show.
Speaker 2: Anyway? Like, what's what's the type? What do you look for?
Speaker 1: Oh? Ultimately somebody now that I'm in my mid thirties, someone I feel really safe with, Somebody that makes me feel really brave though as well, that makes me feel that amongst my madness and chaos and exploration and sharing, like I'm safe, but they're proud of me, and I don't care about the parts. Like I said, I'm happy to be with a man woman Norminery treansgender like, I just love connection. I love laughing, I love being silly, I love feeling just I think it's safe because when you're safe, you can be your craziest, silliest, wildest self, right like you can be older things. So yeah, But in terms of looks, I'm I think it's just like, I don't know. I like I like more feminine men, like young that young blood kind of I like, you know, does he like girls? Does he like boys? I love that? But I'm open to whatever.
Speaker 2: You have always had this very strong, nurturing, caring side to you. At what point did you go, I'm going to do this on my own.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, a lot of people don't believe me when I say this, but my close friends and family, no, or people who I've met back in the day, I've always known it was opened to the chance to maybe have a baby with somebody else. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have done the bachelorette or potentially dated some other people. But deep down in my whole being, I knew that I was going to have my first baby on my own. I've always I've always thought it, and I've never met anyone that I want to have a baby with since that knowing, so I just thought, well, you ain't getting any younger. I'm thirty six next month, and I really just thought it, now's the time, Like I'm not waiting for anyone. I'm waiting for me to be the best version of me. But that could take forever. Every year I'm learning and becoming better on someone's worse and better and sometimes worse. So I'm like, I'm just going.
Speaker 2: To do it. I guess it's an eye a deep irony that any any woman can go out get pregnant, have a child. That's no questions asked, right, Yeah, yeah, but when you have to explore Yeah, when you have to explore one of these other fertility options, you know, fostering or adoption or IVA or whatever, you have to answer a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do, you have to ask you You.
Speaker 2: Like you're really thoroughly interrogated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've noticed since sharing there's a lot of support for the single mother single mothers by a choice, Like there's such a huge community, but there's no real platform for them. So I thought, this year, I'm going to go pedal to the metal and share everything that pops up. The good, the bad, the ugly, just to create conversation, just so we're talking about that. It's an option. I think a lot of people think after thirty, if you're not dating or you're not with somebody as a woman, you're a leg nobody wants you, or you must be really difficult, or she must be too career orientated, or she's a mole, or she's too picky or whatever it is. It's like, no, some of us just don't want to date, especially like Lucky. I'm queer, so I can date everybody because I'm a greedy bitch. But like the bar for men is in hell for people my age, probably people all ages. So I'm like, you don't have to settle, and you also don't have to take on this judgment that you want to baby on your own because a man doesn't want you, because number one, who cares if a man doesn't want you? But number two, that's actually not the case. I could go down to any old pub and, like you said, baga dude and have sex with him, and I'm sure everybody would be like, oh, well that's okay, you feel pregnant. At least you still had sex and someone picked you. It's like no, I'm picking me, I'm picking my donor, I'm picking when I want to do it, and I'm going to break some generational cycles while I'm at it. So it is very interesting, though it does come with a louder judgment.
Speaker 2: A lot of the criticisms that you were referring to then feel to me to be very I would almost think that they don't exist anymore, that that kind of thinking doesn't exist anymore. Because we have so many single parents, so many single mothers, so many women are struggling with fertility issues or couples or whatever whatever incarnation that is. There's still this pushback. Have you found this pushback?
Speaker 1: I have a bit. The majority has been amazing, but there are still people out there that are like, I don't understand why you would want to bring a baby into the world without a father. Well, number one, I may not have picked assist heat men, so I the baby wouldn't have another mother or whatever the person identifies as. So I feel like there would have always been something, But the fact I'm doing it on my own is another whole layer of almost like I don't know if it's fear based from a generation where they thought they could never have a kid without a man because number one, who would support them the judgment that comes with it, Like you're I don't know, like back then when we held so much pressure on what men thought of us, whereas now I think it's kind of doing a bit of a turn and a lot of us don't care. But there's still that internalized misogyny and misogynistic people that kind of show up in my page and yeah kind of are like, well, you're selfish because your kid won't have a dad, And I'm like, well, my kid will have so many amazing masculine and feminine energies. I have a lot of masculine energy in myself and a lot of my friends have feminine energy that are men. So it'll be this beautiful balance of like a family that I've cultivated for my baby, not just like some deadbeat person that I thought was the right person. And then I have to share the love of my life with like I don't know, I reckon I'd end up in jail if that was the case. I don't want to share my baby with some random I thought I loved it that they turned out to be an asshole.
Speaker 2: It's interesting a that you think that this imaginary person that you might have ended up with would have been an asshole.
Speaker 1: I know, isn't that it's so terrible?
Speaker 2: But yeah, isn't it telling? So it wouldn't have been It wouldn't have been a happy ever after. It would have been some dead beat by hook or by crook. As you were saying, you thought you were going to be a single mom.
Speaker 1: I just think that I just, you know what, the best way to say it is, it's just annoying. It's like when people don't want to have kids and they just know, and people kind of question them and make them feel shit that they don't want to be a mum, but they just know they didn't want to, so it's like, great, that's your choice. I just knew for my first child, I am opened down the truck with the universe has in store. Maybe I will have another baby with someone else or on my own and allow a partner to come in, but I just know, for my first child, I don't want to potentially have to share that part of my life. I want to be able to give this baby everything and not be torn or have somebody that comes in and doesn't, I don't know, not agree with me. I'm open to different people's opinions, but like just sharing that or it turning bad. I think because I've had at I haven't seen many great couples growing up. I didn't see it even in my own home. No, I hate saying that because I love my parents so much, but it wasn't always healthy.
Speaker 2: What about your your nanny and pop? How are you nanny and pop together? Because they were so such a big part of your.
Speaker 1: Huge I was brought up a lot by my grandparents. With my brother being so sick, my parents were away a lot that that was too separate. So my poppy died, oh my dad side, and then my ninety died, which was her mum. So that wasn't the couple. But their marriage was right, Yes, so both their marriages were had their ups and downs. For sure. I didn't ever really see or know all a healthy relationship, and I didn't I saw the outcome of that for my dad especially, and then for me too. What happened to him was projected onto me a lot. We're in a great place now, but I would never want my kid to go through what I went through. Without saying too much, and I'm will damn sure make sure they don't. So yeah, I just wanted to do that on my own, and if anyone's going to fuck up my kid, it could be me.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, it's interesting that you say that because because you just don't know. I mean, the thing is, when you bring a child into the world, you don't have control anymore, you know. I say that as someone who whose son had leukemia when he was six, right, my eldest son who's now twenty two, Praise be. But what I'm saying is you can't you can't anticipate, and you can't legislate against the world. So you might set off with the best intentions of like you said, I'm going to do this, you know, without having to compromise the way that I want to love this child. But you don't know what the world is going to throw up to you.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. I have no idea what could come, and what I know from life is that it certainly throws a lot of spanners in the works. All the time. Life has been no easy ride. But I definitely know that I'm going to do the best I can to make sure my child is in a situation where they feel unconditional love and always know that I am on their team and will always listen and love them no matter what, and that's the best I can do. And anything else that shows up for us, I'll deal with it with my family and friends and my chosen, chosen family for the baby, my hopeful baby. I don't know if I can fall pregnant yet, but I pray that I can.
Speaker 2: It seems like you've been so intentional about this choice. Was it a do you feel like you've been on this path and one step has led to the other. Did you always have a knowingness that this was what you were going to do, or was there a moment where you thought, I'm going to start this process.
Speaker 1: There was always a knowingness that I wanted to have a baby, like I've always wanted to be a mum. I have been, and I was a nanny or through my from eighteen to twenty eight and looks after my beautiful housemate Tom, like rescue dogs. Like I always knew I was going to be a mum. I didn't know how that looked. I was always open to adoption, fostering, having my own baby, and then obviously when big miracles popped up for me and my manager said you know, you've always talked about freezing your eggs with your women's health practitioner Big Miracles has just asked if you want to share it, And I was like, well, I've shared every bloody thing else, dating dudes, eaten crap in the jungle, watching TV, so why not? Like why not? And I just thought that was a sign from the universe, just like I do with most things. And I did it, and it just turned out to be the best thing, probably one of the best things I've ever done.
Speaker 2: Ah, why do you say that because you had the outcome that because of the.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I think obviously the outcome after so many years of hearing you know, you've got endometrios, so you might not be able to feel pregnant, or you've got this and this will make this harder. And then being the age I was, I may not get that many eggs. So the fact that I did get my result, but not just that, the fact that I could stand up there as a single woman, as a single mother by choice, with all my chronic and visible illnesses, and share the platform for other women who might want to do the same thing. That to me is like, if I can just help one other person, like, I'm so stoked.
Speaker 2: With that if you had to give a reason. Do they ask on the show why you want to have a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's a funny thing, isn't it, because often it's we know that people want to have a baby or they don't want to have a baby. But it's a rare thing to answer that question why you want to have a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It is, actually because a lot of people probably would like throw them a bit, right, they'd be like, oh, because a lot of the time people probably think that they were told that they have to have a baby, so that's all they know is to be a mum. Where is right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, where is? And maybe it's seen as a rite of passage. And obviously we have a biological imperative to have children or it would be the end of us. Yeah, so there is that as well. It can be innate in a person and mostly ease. Yeah, but when you're consciously choosing it, what is the answer to that?
Speaker 1: The answer is I want to have a baby because I feel like I have so much that I can give to a baby. I think a lot of time when people do IVF, especially single mothers. One woman said to me it's so selfish. All you talk about is how much you want to have a baby, And I'm like, well, that's how it starts, is that you make that decision, right. I'm sure if I had a partner, you wouldn't be saying that. But I feel like that knowing in itself, the love I have in my heart, my whole body. When I just leave and look and look at that little rat in the back there, my dog, I just know that feeling of love, and I know that feeling of love that I had for tom, my housemate, who was my best friend. Like that feeling to me is just like so consuming, And I want a relationship like my mum and I have, and I want to be able to share a life with a baby like that to me is going to be the love of my life, not some partner, Like I don't know, it's just a knowing. That's that's I just know that's what I want to want to experience.
Speaker 2: And then when you go embark on a journey, this is a proper journey like this, Yeah, how have you found you in your immediate circle? Obviously you have a lot of really tight and supportive friends. Was there any resistance from within those from those that loved you.
Speaker 1: Not my friends. My friends have always known me to kind of walk to the beat of my own drum and they never know what I'm doing. They was like, oh, okay, oh you're going there. Okay, cool, she's doing that. But I think my dad wasn't like that sure about it. He was a little bit like he doesn't get it. He does now, he fully gets it. He's been very, very unwealthy years now and we take every day as it comes with him and he would just love to be a granddad. But he didn't understand the whole like why would I put myself through all of that? And why would I, you know, do that? And he doesn't have to understand it at the end of the day, he'll never know.
Speaker 2: The public when he putting himself through all of that. Is that like the public pushback that he's thinking of for the public scrutiny or does he mean raising a child on your own?
Speaker 1: He means the whole, the whole IVYF thing. I think he meant like putting my body through doing it on my own. Yeah, the injections, the surgery is he already knows how much pin I've been in with my chronic and visible illnesses and all that. He doesn't understand the pain or know much about it. But yeah, he kind of says, you know, kids are tough. Doing it on your own is tough. But we're also completely different people. So I what he normally says, I did the opposite anyway, So no other than him, no one's really questioned it. They're just like, go off, they go off six.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with Angie in just a moment. You're listening to No Filter. You said a really beautiful thing when you were discussing this. You said, I am the right person, and it was just so simple and powerful. What like, what do you think it took you to truly believe that or was it something that you've always known.
Speaker 1: I think something in me always knows that whatever I'm doing, I'm doing from my level of consciousness. It's never malicious, it's never deliberate if it's bad. I think that I definitely waited because I didn't want to just settle with somebody in my twenties or not do everything I wanted to do. I don't know what that is selfish. I wanted to travel the world, I wanted to study, I wanted to work in behind the scenes in television I wanted to do, and then this other stuff kind of just happened for me. So I wrote it the wave or whatever you want to call it. But ultimately I wanted to wait till I knew, yeah, who I was, and get a lot of therapy and you know, work on myself. I've done a lot of woo woo healing stuff here on the mountain. I'd love all that, you know, shaken that shit out, somatic healing from all the pain and trauma women's store in our wombs. Like I wanted to do all of that. I'm not saying I'm gonna be perfect. I'm sure that I'll do stuff and my kid will be like that was cooked, and I'll be the first to go okay instead of going and being the victim, I'll be like, okay, oh my god, how can I be better? Like let's fix this, Let's break this cycle of like generational trauma, like we all store it from great great grandmother's everything I've learned, so I just, yeah, I thought, you know what, I've done a lot of work. I could keep doing work forever, and I still will. But I'm not going to keep waiting to be the best version of me because I don't know what she looks like. And I'm still going to stuff up, but I'm gonna I'm going to keep trying my very best for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, because you talked earlier about your isolated life.
Speaker 1: Yes, what does.
Speaker 2: Your daily life on a mountain in Queensland look like? See in you? Yeah, you wake up in the are you near a village or a town or like what happens on the daily?
Speaker 1: It's not like I think I'm making it out, just sound like. It's very like remote. So it's Tambourine Mountain, which is Gold Coast hinter Lands. I don't mind sharing that because it's already for It's a beautiful place. It's just such a beautiful It's just different from when I'm in Sydney and it's like go go, go go go, or Melbourne, which I love both cities. But when I'm here, I get to just be like a full grub Like I don't shower sometimes the days I just am upstairs scrub it and clean it. I'm organizing tradesmen to come out. I'm you know, just walking the beautiful gallery walk and going to the markets. Everybody's really down to earth but also very it's very kind of like country style, you know, pay cash at hand. I'll turn up if I want. Like it's real old school, and I'm on town. I'm not on town water, I'm on water tank. So it's just like all this learning I never knew and I just love it. So I'm not here a lot, but i am based here now. I'm not renting it out anymore and I'm fixing the old gal up and I I just love it. It keeps me busy while I'm not on set or running around like a headless triock.
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting because professionally, I mean what you're talking about, I mean your ongoing health situations, because there's quite a few of them require a lot of money. A baby requires a lot of money. Luckily the TV show covered the I'm imagining the embryos and that part of the process. But that's a lot of money that you need to make professionally. How do you identify what you are and what work you do?
Speaker 1: Oh? At the moment, nothing, I mean I work. The last four years I've done. I was a co host on Space events, so I guess I would say I was a TV host for the last four years, co host right that. Obviously, back in the day when I was being thrown all these big shows like The Jungle and Bachelorette and Dancing with the Stars, that's when TV had a lot of money. Now TV doesn't have a lot of money. So I think a lot of people assume I'm rich. Yes I am not exactly I'm not rich at all.
Speaker 2: Exactly why I'm asking why?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Like, how do you like literally how do you make your living?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What's the main I know that you're very active and a actually great advocate in the space for women's health, but that also doesn't really is not known to be highly profitable, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's really not. I think in a way, I know that I'm very, very blessed that I had those opportunities of doing all those shows pre pandemic where money was still thrown at television, and I was really smart with my money. And I've also been really blessed enough to keep working in the industry. On Space Invaders, I've done a bunch of podcasts. I do a bit of social media. I'm not a big social media girly, although I'm really trying this year because I just think it's a great way for a single mom to make money, but also to share this platform. I'm pretty scrappy. I'll do anything. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks, especially for my unborn child, so I'll I'll see what this year holds. But yeah, you're right, it's so expensive. I bought this house before everything went nuts, so I'll probably have to sell this house, buy something smaller and live closer to my family, so I have the support. But yeah, I'm not rolling in money. I have to plan these things now because having chronic and visible illnesses is so expensive, Owning a home as expensive, and having a baby on your own is so expensive. So I'm seeing life is experience. Life is so expensive. It's crazy. Yeah, but yeah, I'm putting trust in opportunities coming up.
Speaker 2: And yeah, if someone is listening to these, yes, and they are also considering trading a different path, but maybe they don't have the courage to say it out loud, what would you say to them, poor, Oh.
Speaker 1: Gosh, so many things. Firstly, it would be that you're not alone. Even though you're choosing a single mother by choice, you're certainly not alone. There are so many amazing women or parents out there that are single parents, but by choice. There are so many amazing single mothers out there. You're going to get a lot of projection. A lot, and like I've said before, opinions are like assholes. Everybody's go on. So you've got to take on what benefits you. I guess you can't be taking on the projection of society, especially a very patriarchal world we live in. You've got to do what feels right for you. And if you feel like you want a baby, and that's just a knowing in your body, why shouldn't you give yourself that chance. I think it's one of those things you'd probably regret it more of you don't at least try than not right. And I know that comes from a place of privilege. I know it costs so much money, but you can start, you know, putting like my women's health practicing to me years ago instead of back in the day when I used to smash back about bottle of savvy, be because I was in pain, or you know, go get your nails done. You have to. Unfortunately for women, we have to put money away earlier because we're not fully supported in the health department. So you've got to kind of start advocating for yourself and saving until changes happened, and I pray that they do, and until then, I'll keep advocating for y'all. You've got me on your team.
Speaker 2: What do you want, Angie Kent to look like at the end of this year. We're at the very start of it. If you have with your powers of woo woo an image, what is that vision?
Speaker 1: Ah? That vision would be to be pregnant. If I fall straight away, I will have hopefully a Christmas baby or a Capricorn. I've got enough of lows in my life, but I would pray that I am pregnant. I could if that's what I could picture. I would still be loved to be able to have my house, but I feel that it won't be that unless I win the lotto or something amazing comes my way. But living close to my family, being near my and dad and my brothers for the first time properly in years, to get second chance of having a family all together, I'm so excited for that, and I'm just I hope that it happens.
Speaker 2: The cycling back to your TV family, How's ev through all of.
Speaker 1: These Evie lives in Melbourne. She lives in the country's side in Melbourne, and I'm all the way in Tambourines, so we don't get to see each other that much. But she's supportive. She's on the opposite spectrum of children wanting than me. She very happily has always said she doesn't want children, and.
Speaker 2: She's quite clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's always and I've always supported that for her. I watched her with you know, Tom and Nanny and herself through the years, and I could see that she had that side to her. She has that caring side, but she never wanted to have kids later on, So we're kind of different in that regard, but we hold space for that. And I know that as soon as she sees my baby, if I am blessed enough to have my baby, she'll just love it sick like she does all the dogs she rescues.
Speaker 2: Andie Kent, you're very fascinating person. I look forward to seeing whatever reality show you're on. There no reality show keep abreast of you have no doubt said that after everyone.
Speaker 1: I have, Oh for sure I have.
Speaker 2: Did you say that after every while? Yeah, well you're like, I'm never doing that again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, But then again, I'm a sicker. I love life, I love stuff that if the universe throws something at me, I'm like, I'm gonna do it, Like I'm never going to look back when I'm older and go, oh god, I wish I was more boring.
Speaker 2: You know, you're very You seem very optimistic and energized in the face of some challenges that would bring a lot of people to their knees, you know, just your physical challenges alone. Has there been a time where you have been at such a low.
Speaker 1: Eb Yes, oh my god, so much off and on, especially over not last year. So much. Last year I really finally felt amazing. I think that was given my diagnosis with ADHD and getting the right medication finally have I used to have horrible lows with my PMDD to the point that I didn't want to be here once a month. That's what pmd D does pre menstrual disparag disorder. Like I just wanted most five to ten days, wanted to die. So I've been so so low and in my pain and in hospital thinking what's the point, Like I pay all this money to be a woman just to suffer and never get answers. But I there's just something in me, I guess that always wants to show up and understand and share so other people with wom rooms don't have to suffer as much as I did. Maybe I don't know. That's why I try to share as much as I do. But yeah, and I'm freaking petrified. After my laparoscopy, I heal for eight weeks and then it's my first embryo transfer. I'm petrified that I will hear what a lot of people hear. You're not pregnant, You're not pregnant, you're not pregnant. And I'm just focusing on trying to only see that I am pregnant. I am pregnant, I am pregnant, just to get through as well. But I am still very scared.
Speaker 2: Of course. And also that is, like we said, that is something that is totally outside of your control. So there's an aspect in which, at some point many women have had to surrender that desire. And if God forbid, you had to surrender that desire, what would your life look like? How would you what would you what gear would you shift into?
Speaker 1: Just like everybody, I guess, you have to surrender, pray that you'll be Okay, get the right support and maybe channel that love that I thought of having my own child. Maybe I could adopt or foster. I don't know what that will look like for me, but I really would love to be a parent, and I'm not closed off just from having my own. I would love to have it another way. I would look, I would look at that path next. But yeah, that's I really I've got my heart set on this now. And there is such a feeling and that knowing that you just hope that that's that's what's gonna happened, but you also you don't know, you really don't know. But yeah, I'll pick myself up like I always do, and I'll I'll find another way.
Speaker 2: I guess either way, Angie, your arms will be full. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 2: And that's a blessing.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, there's love to give in so many other ways, and I'm ready and willing to give it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not to any of the mountain me.
Speaker 1: Look never say never.
Speaker 2: I'm not giving it to the mountain me.
Speaker 1: I'm giving it to anybody. I'm bloody boring. I thought I could at least maybe get a shag in before I'm pregnant, but I don't put in any bloody is there.
Speaker 2: You know how you said that you were queer earlier, and I've heard you use expression pans sexual. At what point did you make that discovery in your life.
Speaker 1: I've always been really attracted to all different types of people, but I was brought up really Catholic, and back then when I was growing up in nineties and early two thousands, it was very much just like you know, you're gonna leave, you're gonna get a husband, you're gonna have babies, blah blah, blah blah. I always was attracted to women or queer people, and it wasn't until after Bachelorette where I thought, God, if I can't be content with like dating twenty dudes like I got. I mean, like, I'm sure they weren't all like the best dudes in the world, but still I got shown twenty and I was still like wanting there was something missing.
Speaker 2: It was a buffet.
Speaker 1: It was quite the buffet, to put it nicely, And then I just thought, you know what, I'm just it's the pandemic too. Like I'm on an online date, I'm gonna feel into this whole pan sexual thing. Because I love hearts, not parts. I don't really care what you packing. I just love like humans. And I started doing it and I was like, oh, okay, yeah, I definitely definitely like gals and queer people as well. And I haven't dated a dude in five years. I've mostly only dated women or queer people. Yeah, so I haven't been with a man in forever. So we'll see, we'll see what I'm into after. If I get to have a baby, my hormones may all change and all I'll want is penis again, and I'll be spewing about that.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember in Big Miracles, your friends gave you a penis crystal. Yes you had to strugg.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did, they go. I wonder what that is actually, I think I found it the other day amongst my crystals, but yeah, they did. They called it the penis crystal. And let's you know what, let's see, let's hope it works with the baby. But then maybe a penis of its own will enter my life after that, who knows. I'm open to all.
Speaker 2: What's striking about Angie is not just the decisions she's made, but the way she speaks about them with clarity, softness, and a deep trust in herself. There's no defensiveness, no need to justify, just honesty about where she is and what feels right for her life. By choosing to share this part of her journey so openly, Angie has given voice to something many women are quietly carrying, questions about timing, about love, about motherhood, and about whether the life you want has to follow a script written by someone else. Thank you for listening to No Filter. The executive producer of No Filter is Nama Brown. The senior producer is Breed Player. Audio production is by Jacob Brown and video editing is by Josh Green. This episode was recorded at Session in Progress Studios and I am your host, Kate lane Brook. I'll see you next Monday. Mumma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on