Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hey friends, it's Maya. If you enjoyed the episode that I did of No Filter earlier this week about Hannah Nielman, who is the ballerina from Ballerina Farm, it was an interview with a woman called Megan Agnew who had gone visited Hannah Nielman on her farm and spent a day with her and wrote a profile for the Sunday Times in the UK. Anyway, if you were interested in that, which a lot of people were, I thought you might like this extra episode of another Mama Maya podcast called Canceled. It's very different to the one that you heard me do earlier in the week, even though it is also about Ballerina Farm. They did this episode a couple of weeks ago and it made me laugh so much because Canceled is a comedy podcast. It's about cancel culture, but it's very very funny, and the name of the episode is Ballerina Farm. A Secret at a Rule and a Shit Birthday Present. Enjoy Claire and Jesse Stevens and Canceled.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Canceled, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and assigns charges and sentences so that we can all move on with our lives. I'm Jesse Stephens and I am joined by Claire Stephens, and today we're talking about Ballerina Farm.
Speaker 1: Here on the farm, the hens are laying eggs again using the winter they take a couple months off when it gets dark early. Today was a beautiful but very rainy day on the farm and there was creeving homie bread, homie down.
Speaker 3: The viewing up motherhood and bringing them to the earth is the most empowering. You have insisted on this for a week after a week after week. You've resisted, and I've resisted saying I forget what it is. I think it is obviously canceled. She Hannah Nielman.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is that I am using Ballerina Farm as a synonymously with Hannah Nielman, which is wrong. I will elaborate on why. Look For some the phrase Ballerina farm may contra up images of farming ballerinas. Yeah, yeah, that's what I picture, milking them, having them breed and pirouetting while potentially laying eggs. I know, see I see someone in a two to in hay, Oh wow, what I see mister branding opportunity there and we'll get into this, but not enough ballet. Look in some ways this ballerina has laid eggs, but I DIGRESSA Ballerina farm refers to the farm and social media handle of influencer Hannah Nielman. Nilman was born in June nineteen ninety. Okay, so she's like our age, see months older than us, but unlike you. She has nine point eight million followers on TikTok, ten million followers on Instagram, and eight children, none of whom seem to have a ponchent for hot chips. Both our babies really like odd chips. Her eldest is twelve and her youngest is one month younger than Matilda, your little gil. Okay, that's a lot of babies in quick succession. Yeah, yeah, what's eight times nine? I love? I think it's in eleven years. Yeah. I like to think when people have a lot of kids, I like to think about how many years of their lives they've spent pregnant. Oh yeah, what's eight? Eight times nine too many? Yeah, maybe like six. So how old is your baby again? Nine months? Okay, nine months? Interesting because Hannah Nielman, in an interview that we will touch on later, her husband says that when Hannah Nenielman's babies are nine months old, she has this desire she has to have a baby again, and like it kicks in discuss. Yeah, really pretty good. You have moments where you go, I could have ten and then yeah, we've all had that money, and then you think, actually, I have no money, I have no ballerina farm, I have no time. Haters will say I've got a work. Haters do say that. Nielman grew up in a Mormon family in Utah, and at fourteen, she attended a Juilliard School summer ballet program. She went on to receive a scholarship and finished her university ballet studies at Juilliard School in New York. That is the school where she auditioned. Slush got in in the movie Save the Last Dance? Is it okay?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: That makes sense, and she did ballet, but yeah, she made it a bit hip hop. Yeah she appropriated black culture. Yeah that's why you liked it. Yeah, do you think that that's what Hannah Nielman did. Do you think she I think she did very classical ballet, because if you really watched that dance from Save the Last Dance, it's not good. Could cancel that? That would be a fun thing to cancel, say the Last Chance. While on a Thanksgiving break from college, she met a man named Daniel Nielman. My structure for today is as follows, Missus World competition, pretending to be poor, the Times hit piece, and a birthday present Missus World competition. Is it missus or myth? I'm right, I'm hosting, I'm reading. I researched, so you Pip pot down. In January of this year, a story is published in The New York Times with the headline she gave birth two weeks ago. Now she's in a beauty pageant. As I said, Claire, you and Hannah very similar in terms of your youngests. What were you doing two weeks postpartum? Screaming, crying, leaking, leaking. We're from everywhere. Yeah, the vadge, the boobs, the butt, but maybe not as a result they can saying in hospital, Oh you know, it could take up to six weeks to establish breastfeeding try like former honestly, which point we gay? So we were struggling. Okay, well, there's a lot of leaking. There's concerns about vagina's falling out and but holes falling out. You got your jelly tum tum afore mentioned. We did a whole episode on it. You smell like a barn, Yes, you smell like farm. You smell would be lovely on the farm. No one would mind, No one would mind. Oh my gosh, that's why she went to a farm, because I smell like farm, and if I'm out of farm, nobody will notice exactly. And then, as we've said, you got organs in your pants, Yes, you take your undies off and you go there's a kidney. Okay. Now, as we know, beauty pageants are unnecessarily confusing. So Nielman's sash red MISSUS American, which meant that she'd won missus America the year before or something. Okay, it's like grammatically incorrect. Yes, missus means that she's married. Yes, no, I got that, but it should say like it should You worried about Miss Australia, not Miss Australian. Yeah, but she was in the MISSUS America pageant, but her sash said, missus American it's still okay. American is not the past tense of America. That's my point, that's mine. Oh yeah, you're an American? Yeah, which she is. You know what's wild? It costs two five hundred dollars to enter. Some say that with all the expenses, travel, clothes, makeup, tan, entry fees for this pageantry, it can cost up to seventy five thousand dollars a year to be a pageant beauty queen. How much do you win? Great question? The missus World crown does not receive a monetary price. Ah and I have written here this feels like a metaphor for being a woman. Spend all your money to enter a competition. You cry, you get wait for it nothing. You can only lose, But you must compete to lose all your money. Come on, fake tan, come on, make up bikinis, himsuits, enta and tar. What will I win? Nothing? Punch in the face. What? Let me judge you outwardly? But I didn't want to enter? Well you did anyway. Neilman made it to the semi finals of missus World or missus America. I don't understand anymore. But not much further than that. But she'd already pissed some people off. Some critics said she was promoting unrealistic expectations for other postpartum women, while others got snarky that she had traveled on a plane with the two week old and was now dancing to Viva Las Vegas in a casino. All right, I think all women in beauty pageants promote unrealistic expectations of women. Yeah, and this is not where I come from in terms of when I watch parents online, when I watch parents living their lives, This is not where I come from. This is the one time I'm ever gonna say it. I don't think the two week old wanted to be at the pageant. I don't. I think the two week old just want to be with mum. Yeah, no, true, I guess you don't think. I don't think that she minded. I don't think she minded. I think she enjoyed Viva Las Vegas. Actually, Miss Hilda would have loved that. Yeah, apparently, like they all did like a communal dance to that song as part of the pageant. And I think the whole family don't know all the contestants. Oh, and I think the little baby would have had her pomp palms out being like viva. Yeah, like she'd have Really, I like the movement. I like the movement. It reminds me sound and there is my mum. Just to note on the trad wife phenomenon before we go any further, Neilman is widely considered a trad wife, which is short for traditional wife, even though in that New York Times piece that we're talking about, she said she was unfamiliar with the term. She said, I think everyone's mission is different. I find so much joy and satisfaction being with my kids. I checked my notes and that is allowed. Yes, let's just spend a moment on tradwives. You ever get in a tradwife mood? What I consider myself a trad wife? Absolutely? Did I make my daughter breakfast this morning? Yeah? I made oats. It took me four minutes, and I thought, hmm, am I nailing this? Yes? Am I a traditional wife? Absolutely? Will I walk in this afternoon and yell at my husband? Yes? Because buck gender roles Yes? So have you seen the TikTok trend? That's like a single mom who works too jobs will love her kids and never start and then it's like, m that's me every time I do anything. Yeah, I wipe down the bench and I'm like, yeah, here, I am just a slave to the patriarch. It's like, you made yourself a sandwich, is what you did? I made my baby eggs to I've never felt so Hannah Nielman. I got eggs from a fridge and then I got some butter. It's almost which was from Yeah, but the eggs it's almost like they were laid by a hen in the backyard. Yeah, exactly. And I cracked them and I, what are you? Kind of swirled them. Yeah, I swirled them, put in the moon and pants and I just went that song was going on the background. I just went, I love trad wife life. What can I say? Planned to be a mother and your kids like and then she like gagged it. We said you were actually there, and we're both like, she's remembered its egg and then she just started like dry reaching and I was like, it's actually usually hard. It's like, I'm glad I'm not putting my whole identity to a trad wife because I'd be wildly disappointed pretending to be poor. Neilman lives on a farm with her husband and her eight kids, her Cowchulip, and also her vintage green stove that she bought from Greggs List Want Again, named tul Yeah. Just to go back a little bit, it's twenty eleven when Hannah marries Daniel and then they go and live in South America for Daniel's job, which we're gonna explore, and they have their two sons, but they are obsessed with farm life. They dream of living on a farm. And then when they return to the States four years later, they buy some farmland and they are set on creating a new kind of life for their family. They call it Ballerina Farm because of Hannah's previous stream of being a ballerina. Like Julia Stiles The Last Night, I feel like people who live on farms are happy. I think this is part of the appeal, is that we all wish you lived on a farm. Yeah, don't. Like David Beckham and Victoria Beckham, they appear to live on something that resembles a farm. There's people who live on farms and people who wish they lived on farms but can't afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also wouldn't know what to do. Nielman starts documenting their journey, and fans watch them make heaps of mistakes because obviously they have no idea what they're doing. But they do farm management and marketing courses and invest heaps of time and money into learning how to be farmers. What are they farming? So they got a bunch of cows? Sounds like that, man have one cow called You're that's the one she's closest to. It's just that's the pet. That's the pet. I think Tilip is more of a milking, squeeze squeeze cow, not killing for its meat. No, no, no, but they do have black meat. They have like what else would say a farm? Well, I think about it like all McDonald out of fine and there's like a quack quack here. We have a friend who grew up on a farm and you know, lots of cows, chickens, all of that, and one day they adopted a cow. Yeah, his name was black Joe. Yeah, because he was black, and Black Joe thought he was a thought he was a dog and he would sit on the porch. Yeah, he really went full dog. He grew afraid of cows because to a dog, cows are big and scary yeah, but it's like Joe, you're a cow. And then the thing about farm life is that Joe made a great dinner. Joe came, which none of us can judge about. No, because if you're not a vegan, which like all power to you, But if you're not, then you know, this is what we have to do in order to eat our meat. Yeah, but I just think maybe Tulip is the black Joe a Ballerina farm for now. So lots of questions start about how they could invest time and money into learning how to farm, because everyone's like, I want in teach how to teach me how to farm on TikTok? How could they afford to have all these kids live on this giant farm and make so many mistakes? That is when the Internet sleuths clocked it, the aforementioned vintage green stove. It was a clue. It has a name. It is named Agnes, the one that she bought from Craiglist. Someone thought it looked familiar, so they googled it and that particular model of stove it costs thirty thousand US dollars, might be slightly cheaper on craigslist. Not that much, sheep, see I wouldn't know how much a stove is meant to cost. It does seem exorbitant. Yeah, I reckon a stove. I reckon nice fifty kosi dollars. If I went into my friend's house and they were like, this is my stove. It cost fifty k I'd be like, whoa, it's an expensive stove. Yeah, yeah, you'd want to name it. Daniel Nielman is heir to a fortune of about four hundred million dollars, give or take a few million. Could you give or take a few million? I even thinking, so? Is he full time farm life? Yeah, so you can be full time farm life when you are getting an inheritance. Well, his dad founded five commercial airlines, which is bullshit because our dad hasn't even found one, not even Rex, not even Rex. This includes Jet Blue Airlines, which even I've heard of. Think pieces were published with a writer named Meg Conley observing so many people who do live off the land are in such a desperate state. When Ballerina Farm pretends their reality is reality, those people are erased. Basically, she argues that they're not actually living off the land even though they pretend to be. A viral TikTok video by someone with an unreadable handle said one of her gripes is that Nielman's life doesn't have the same steaks as other farmers because it isn't tied to direct financial stress. A lot of commentators took issue with the lack of transparency, arguing that they were caused playing as ordinary farm folk with their cowboy hats and their prairie dresses, but really they had a movie room all along. One thing I will say is everything I have said so far about farms and wanting to be a farmer, I'm saying all of that from the lens of oh McDonald had a farmer obviously, no, obviously, but also somebody with inexplicable wealth who has a farm. It'd be really hard to actually have to live off the land. That's not what I don't pretend, like we understand how hard it would be to live off the lane. No, no, no, no, no no. And I guess my point is, like, did Hannah Nielman pretend she was a real farmer? Okay, I will get to that comly who wrote that article before she said about Hannah Nielman, just say it. Say we come from a family with immediate resources. We are so lucky, and honey, have you been on the internet. This is why they weren't transparent, because everyone gets mad when you admit that you're filthy rich. Hmm, people get really angry. You're allowed to feel tricked or to stop watching their content, absolutely, but to say it's not fair because they don't have the same steaks is a bit weird. Welcome to inequality. It's not just a TikTok thing. Yeah, yeah, and unequal steaks exist everywhere all of the time. Yes. And something I have thought about more in my old age is I look at people and I say, you know, you're privileged, you have money, you went to private school, et cetera, et cetera. Hmm, hm, that's allowed. That's allowed. I know, I know. That kept coming up for me is that it is allowed. I will say I do not follow Nilman religiously. She pops up for me. But I read a bunch of like Reddit threads and commentary, and a lot of people said that they expressed, especially in the early days, a lot of stress about trying to sell meat and they couldn't something about a rug they couldn't afford, and their house is apparently quite simple. Although I swear I've seen a gym and they sort of present like they're living off the farm. And people have done the maths and say, at least at the beginning, that wasn't at all possible. It wouldn't have had it up. At the same time, just because somebody's family has a lot of money, you don't know what their financial arrangement is in terms of whether they are getting that money, whether they want to get that money, whether they want to live independently. I don't know. It's just very I mean, in order to take that jump, they would have needed financial backing, absolutely, and they would have needed a big pot of money. But just because you're filthy rich or like you have inheritance doesn't mean you've got to live like the Kardashians. It doesn't mean you've got to live in some ridiculous house with your private jets and your prior to bags, right. I actually kind of like they're doing this like farm life thing. I think that's not so bad, kind of like Kanye with his ranch. Yeah, yeah, I guess that Times takedown peace. At the end of July this year, an article was published in The Times London that, in terms of Internet discourse was one of the biggest moments of the year. Do you remember this obviously?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: The headline reads, Meet the Queen of the Tradwives and her eight children. A journalist named Megan Agnew went to Ballerina Farm for this feature on Hannah Nielman, and in my opinion, it was a hit piece. Well, he gets there and Daniel opens the door with a baby in his arms. Hannah then comes down and takes the baby from him, and Agnew writes she will not leave Nielman's chest for the four hours we're together. Weird tone, but okay, how old is the baby? The baby at that stage would have barely been six months. Yeah, that's okay. Moms are allowed told their babies. Yeah, moms are allowed to tell their babies. That's allowed. Its loud. Neilman actually says she doesn't identify as a tad wife. She says, I'm a mum, but we're paving out a path that hasn't been done before. I guess she's talking about farming. Agnew asks him out right if Daniel is the boss, and they both say no, they're co CEOs of Ballerina fum O. You see, you have a farm. Yeah, because Ballerina Fum I should have been more clear on this. They have heaps of products now, it's like a very aspirational this is the thing. Sorry, this is a business. Sorry, it's not just isn't real. She's an idea, she's a brand, she's a selling it's smelting. Not just milk from tulip. Hannah Nielman is Ballerina Farm and Ballerina Fumm is products. Okay, you can buy from Ballerina fum dot com. What products me? I believe things like butter. They put something up the other day of a new thing, like a protein powder, like they have a whole shop. Imagine like Goop or like what Megan Markle's trying to do that kind of thing, and I imagine that they're making a lot of money from it right now. So ten million followers is just this is just brand extension. Love. This is why they invited them into their house, because they were like, yes, I want to sell more beef free promo. Yes. The whole tension is that Agnew wants to get Nielman one on one, but Daniel wants to show her his farm, which is very a man on a farm. Yeah, he's like, you want a tour and she's like not really, don't give and he's like, I can show you the shed. She didn't want to see the shed. She's flown from London to Utah, which she got to Utah, then she had to drive around mountains to get to ballerina farm and Dan and he was like, you want to see a ditch and she's like, no, I don't, not really, like we've got six ditches, don't want to see it. Nilman does tell her that this farm vibe wasn't exactly the goal because she did want to be a ballerina, but she knew that when she started to have kids, life would look different. She tells the origin story and basically she mentioned to Daniel that she had to go back to Juilliard for her ballerina ring and he is like, oh, what, no way, I'm on the same flight. She didn't realize his dad owned the airline, so he could probably get in the system and do some weaseland. So he got into the seat next to her and that was their first date, which not great publicity for jet Blue because honey, how did you get those details about someone's seat number? Feels like a massive privacy concern. I don't want to know that that's how it works, that he can just log on and be like, where's Hannah sitting? Sir, not your business? And who else was someone was booted off a fly Yeah, yeah, so that he could get in next to Hannah and have his first date. I hope they got a flight credit and free accommodation. I hope she got upgraded. Yeah me too, me too. If he sat next to an economy, it's like, why aren't we sitting up the front. They hit it off. He was keen to get married, to have babies, and all of that happened very quickly. So the first few years were hard because she gave up her dream of being a ballerina, and he gave up his career ambitions. Agnew writes, I look out at the vastness and don't totally agree. Daniel wanted to live in the Great Western wilds, so they did. He wanted to farm, so they do. He likes date nights once a week, so they go. He didn't want nanny's in the house, so there aren't any. The only space earmarked to Benielman's own a small barn. She wanted to convert into a ballet studio ended up becoming the kids' schoolroom. Okay, it's an astute observation. Yeah, beautiful paragraph, beautifully written. Patriarchy, triarchy, And I think so many women would say, yeah, that's what happens. Yeah, that's what happens when you have kids. Is it fair?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Is it Hannah's fault? No? And I think what we need to do is unpack the word choice. What is a choice? Those choices that she made. Did she know that that was gonna happen once she had kids? Is she happy? Do we take her words at face value? And a lot of people have a plan for their life that doesn't pan out. Actually, pretty much everybody has an idea. I don't want it to be a ballerina, y me. Okay, I still want to be a arena. I can't be because I've never done a ballet class. I stretch often, and I can't nearly do the splits.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I also I don't have the ankles for it. I've got the out of their ankles of an elephant. I would have loved to be. My husband tells me that, which also not one of my goals to have a husband. That tells me that I have the ankles of an elephant. And if Agnew was in my house, she'd say, watch out for him, and I'd say, I think he's fine. Yeah, I think he's fine, and he's right. Look at them, Look at them. They're horrible. They're not going to be the ankles of ballerina. No I would. When I break my leg, I went, I can't. I can't be a ballerina. Now yeah was I thirty? Yeah, days it gone gone. I'd never done a class. But sometimes our dreams are dashed by injury times. I want to be an actress or a singer yep. And I think there's something about having kids that makes you go ooh, maybe that won't come true. That ship has sailed, and something about being nearly thirty four and not being able to sing. I relate to all of this anyway. Daniel gets excited and he keeps showing her the ditches, which is boring for everyone. What are the ditches? The ditches like farm ditches. I imagine them to be like trenches, like big holes of dirt. For why. I guess, like I don't know what irrigation means, but that like you know, on farms. How they need to like put in poles. Yeah. This is the thing about people who understand live on acres. They take you around and they point to things and they say things, and you just go that technology doesn't exist. I went our friend who works on the farm. I went to her hometown. Once she pointed out, I said, why is that green? They have a green lawn. No one else has a green lawnch She said something about it being watered underneath. I was like, that's just sci fi shit. So I think he's doing that from underneath in his ditches, which is exciting for him. You know what, we never find out, Not once in this article does she say what's in the ditches? Maybe he's taking around I imagine in a golf buggy, although that's not what she says, because there's not enough attention paid to that. What if there are bodies, this is where I bury the body. And it's like, that's the story Agnew, not the ballet studio. That didn't end up being what's in the ditches because none of us understand how farms were. They get back to the house and Agnew is like, ugh, the kids are clattering near my tape recorder. And one is running around with a chicken, like a roast chicken, and it's like, yeah, have you met kids, there's always one with a chicken, and they're always running around your tape recorder. Now, if you have something valuable and precious, they're like this this one. That's what they're like. This one. A few telling things. Daniel says Hannah gets so exhausted that sometimes she doesn't get out of bed for a week, which is the most aspirational thing I've ever heard. How you're not getting out of a bit of a week. Yeah, wait, how does she not get out of bed for a week?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: If she's not allowed to have a nanny and there's eight kids, I'm confused. I don't know if he was exaggerating. Do they have family help? They are homeschooled like on the thing, like by a teacher that comes in, But I think the six month old is homeschooled. Yeah, so I don't really understand. Also, she's had her babies without pain relief. She says she's never liked taking it, except one time Daniel step out of the room when she was giving birth to little Martha. She was one of the few babies that she had in hospital and she had an epidural. She says it was great. This was viewed by a lot of people as a red flag because she kind of only said it when Daniel wasn't listening, and it was like Daniel was kind of not there when she got the epidural, and yeah, did kind of look like a red flag.
Speaker 5: Ugh.
Speaker 3: Ugh, This is how Agnew closes the article. This is a quote. I can't, it seems, get an answer out of Nielman without her being corrected, interrupted, or answered for by either her husband or a child. Usually I am doing battle with steely Hollywood publicists today. I am up against an army of toddlers who all want their mum, and a husband who thinks he knows better may leave the toddlers alone. Yeah. I remember being a kid, and I cannot tell you how much I would have fucking hated you in my house. Yeah. A reporter comes in with a tape recorder and I want some raised chicken. Yeah, yeah, from you're talking to my mom. Yeah, I need to be in her lap. I need Mom needs me to suck on her nose, yes, and to whisper in her ear something nonsensical. I don't need that I don't need what I am asking for, but I will suggest we get McDonald's now because I find your presence intrusive. Right, I'm not feeling safe with that said, I do want to say this journalist, Megan Agnew, was the one who was there, and if she picked up on certain vibes, I am always going to advocate for her right to share those vibes. You don't think that from the first sentence, From the first I got there and Daniel was holding the baby, and then he handed Hannah the baby and she didn't put the baby four hours. She doesn't like him, just like Daniel like him. I don't think she liked Daniel even before she got there. I think that she went all the way to Utah with a preconceived idea of the story that she was going to get. She had some judgment. She doesn't like the toddlers. You don't know that. You don't know that. I had a feeling you're reading it as though she wrote it in in real time. But it's the snarkiness. I think that there are certain sentences in the way, like the toddler thing, you irritated by their sticky chicken fingers. Yeah, yeah, like, I totally get that, but there are real points where like, for example, the epgural thing brilliant, let it stand. But my whole reading of it was if you want to sit down with Nielman and have a really a one on one conversation, because that what was agreed upon, you need to advocate harder for that, because in all of it, I couldn't work out when she said, hey, can I have some time just us? I know what's happened. Daniel thought she wanted to see Ballerina Farm. She thought Ballerina fum was Hannah, Yeah, okay, And Daniel was like, I'm going to show you the ditches and she was like, that's not what I meant by Ballerina. He's like, Ballerina Farm is an idea, yeah, and it's a it's like an ecosystem, and it includes the children, and it includes me, and it includes Hannah and it includes the ditch. Do you want to see the barn? Yeah? And she's like, I thought Ballerina Farm was just Hannah. Yeah. I just wanted to speak to the other thing is I think Megan was jet lagged. She was really tired, and she turned up and she's like hmm, I wanted gossip, yeah from this woman, and I was not, and there are too many around. She even she makes a comment about how Hannah calls them kiddos. She like puts it in quotation marks, as though it's like weird, like I'm gonna go and feed the kiddos, or she says something like that, and I just went let her call them kiddos, just gotta Sometimes you read interviews like that, you can see how a person could watch anything unfold and put a certain lens under the lens on it. Yeah, and even the headline which was the Queen of the trad Wives, and I understand how she can be viewed as that. In the interview, Hannah says, I don't identify as a trad wife, so that in itself is telling. So there were two camps that came out after this Times piece was released. The first said this woman is being manipula and controlled by this Daniel character with his ditches and his airline weasling. The other camp thought agnew went in there with an agenda and if she wanted to speak to Nielman, then ask Newlman if they can talk in one of her barns or whatever if Neelman wants to have three hundred babies and make sour dough in her pot and cook chickens in her thirty thousand dollars stove, which has a bit of ballet on insta, I personally think absolutely fine, Me too, more ballet if anything? Yeah, Nielman responded with a TikTok video. Here's what she said.
Speaker 5: A couple of weeks ago, we had a reporter come into her home to learn more about our family and business. We thought the interview went really well, very similar to the dozens of interviews we had done in recent memory. We were taken back, however, when we saw the printed article which sharked us and sharked the world by being an attack on our family and my marriage, portraying me as oppressed with my husband being the corporate This couldn't be further from the truth. Nothing we said in the interview implied this conclusion, which leads me to believe the angle taken was predetermined. For Daniel and I. Our priority in life is God and family. Everything else comes second. The greatest day of my life was when Daniel and I were married thirteen years ago. Together, we have built a business from scratch. We've brought eight children into this world and have prioritized our marriage all along the way.
Speaker 3: You know what the weirdest thing is about that video? At the bottom of it, it says participating in this activity could result in you or others getting hurt. Is that to do with the drink she's making she's drinking? What looks like I thought, is that about participating in a Times interview? Yeah, being married to Daniel, living on a farm, on a farm, having a operating machinery, Because I think in one bit she's probably operating machinery. Yeah, but that's the kind of message you get when you see two people doing like UFC fighting or something. No, I think it's the drink. Why is it black? Why is it dark? Lastly, the birthday present. Around the same time as a Times piece, it was Neilman's birthday. She posted a video of Daniel presenting her with her gift and she says, I'm hoping they're tickets to Greece. Have you seen this video? No Grease the Country or Grease musical Grease the Country. I'm sweetie same, we all want to get this to Grease for birthday. Yeah, Yeah, she's unwrapping the book. How do you go to Greece with that many kill? Do you take slum?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that they can get a nanny, Like they get a nanny for like babysitting or whatever, like if they're out of the house. Yeah, Okay. She's unwrapping the box and she keeps talking about Grease the country, and Daniel just waits for her to see because he knows it's good the present, right and that. So when she pulls out an egg apron, No, it's got separate compartments for all the eggs, Like it's got like twelve little pockets so that you can wear it and it helps you pick the eggs and I guess not crack them.
Speaker 5: There's my birthday present from Daniel.
Speaker 1: Tickets to Grease, so plain tickets.
Speaker 3: A hat I can wearing Grease.
Speaker 1: That hat.
Speaker 3: Oh my egg.
Speaker 2: Appri great they didn't gather eggs.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's really cutely that's the most.
Speaker 3: Then he says you're welcome, thanks Benny, And in my opinion, she's pissed because no one wants an egg apron and your fucking father owns fucking every fucking airline. Why aren't we going to fucking grease every farking weekend. Yeah, I don't want an egg apron. I want an egg apron. There's a kid, some son who's just kind of dawdling around watching He knows his dad fucked up, and just with the internet already seeing her as an egg machine with eight babies, the egg apron probably wasn't ideal for the narrative. Why did they post it? Every now and then you see something like this. I see the film a film at fine, but then you watch it back and you go it doesn't sit well. I see videos all the time of influencers and they'll go to film their kid and the kid looks at them and goes, I don't want to be a camera and they boast it, and you think, I'm like, okay, I know there was a learning moment during filming there, just don't post it. This didn't look good. So the thing that was really awkward was that she goes egg apron and she puts it on and she has this little dance and then he goes you're welcome, as in like say thank you for the egg apron, and I'm like, where are the tickets? Degreed, where are the tickets degree as the tickets degrees, does she check the pockets because all the tickets actually does. She puts them in to be like egg apron just because there's a little like hole in it for eggs and their tickets for all all of us to grease in all the separate pockets. Is that the idea? Well? Ellie Goulding commented Ellie Goulding, the singer, and she wrote take her to grease please, And I echo that. I like that because it's not saying you're abusive, it's just saying, get the woman some tickets. Degree. Yeah, it's saying I, as an observer, know what she wanted. There's no other present, there's no other gift. We have birthday coming up, what three months? Tickets to grease? Yeah? Two please? Or like my baby can come, that's fine, but I want tickets to grease Claire? In what ways do you think an egg aprin is a shit gift? An apron should never ever be a gift unless you have been to Rome and it is one of those naked statue aprons that you get for a man. It's for you, No, you know he's gonna really like it. That's actually a good point, because that is a good gift that's got like and put it on when his friends come over. Yeah, that's the first time that's say it. And I'm like, they have been selling these in Italy. Yeah, surely fifty years. Everyone I've ever known has bought them. I reckon they were doing in ancient times. Yeah. You know what else you get in? You get in a little box of shorts with Penis, David stash of David whatever Penis. That's when it's OK, that's fine. My other problem with the apron is this Hannah definitely already has one. She definitely already has an egg apron. It also wasn't wrapped. It came in like Amazon packaging, and it was really really hard to open. I also think that again know nothing about farming bucket. Yeah, I see people on my Insta. I think a little basket and egg basket does a treat. I don't see them cracking. I think that there is an inverse relationship between a person's wealth and their propensity to give a good gift. Yet, yeah, absolutely, I think that they lose the value and excitement and gifts because it's like, I can have everything, so why worry on a birthday, and it's like, because birthdays at the time for tickets. Degree, Yeah, yeah, it is time for charges and sentences. I'm gonna go first because my charge. Honestly, I'm pissed about the apron but that's Daniel's crime. And as the Times peace firmly established, no one gives a shit about Daniel. Okay, okay, but but he is part of ballerina fump. He is, he is, but there was confusion about the definition of ballerina.
Speaker 1: Hump.
Speaker 3: My other charge is not enough ballet. I really like watching ballet, and she is very goodsh at the times that I see her do a little dance and often she'll just do a little what I call a leg. Oh wow, is she flexible? Yes, it was super flexible, just just like a trick. And you know how I feel about dancers doing tricks, and how I feel about watching dancing with not enough tricks where they just do moves, because I think I could just do moves, and it's like, hmm, I do I know how good you are if you're not doing tricks. Yes, I need you to do a trick every three moves. Yeah, moves should only connect the tricks. Oh my god, This is what I thought about Dallas Cowboys. Enough trick, they're split at the end, great trick, the whole routine underwhelming. I would say, cart will if you can do a flip, do a flip every dance routine. I will never ever not be impressed by that. Yeah. Yeah, I don't think ballerinas do flips, but I think that she could do the splits more. I guess being rich is also a charge, specifically not wearing a T shirt that says I'm married into generational wealth or alternatively, my father in law is worth four hundred million dollars thereabouts, but the Internet keeps calling him a billionaire, which is not the same thing, but I guess in terms of vibe wise it is. She doesn't start every video with Daniel's dad owns literally every aeroplane look up in the sky. Yeah that one, that one too, Wait, not that one because it's United mmmmm, which is criminal. I guess you should always state because people feel misled. My sentence very simple, very very simple. I need Hannah Nielman not just to go to grease, but to go to micanos. Oh, and I see her dancing on a table wearing a bikini, top and the egg apron, just the ape apron, and in each egg thing is a shot. Yeah, except for the bottom level because it's like a two tiered thing. All euros. Yeah you know those things. Yeah, the chips in them. Yep, yep, yep. So how you say it like you're like chicken and great kebab and like zekei. Yeah, it's like a pitter. Yeah. So she's got like six pitters, she's got like twelve shots. She's got her egg apron. She's wearing that helmet that you wear in that bar and where they hit you on the head and give you like a concussion. She's doing that. And then at the end, I don't even know if they do this, but like you know how sometimes you just set a shot of light. She's throw their apron in it, just bark the apron. I'm in grease. Daniel's not they he's looking after the kids. Tell you that. And you know what she's doing making up for the epidurals. Yeah, twelve days, twelve epy durals. Just bang bang, I feel nothing. I feel nothing, just like make up for lost time. Yeah, love that. Just as a bit of an addendum. Amendum addendum to yours. I think that on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, wherever the social media social media is. I think people should have your user name and then in brackets your wealth status. So Ballerina Farm in brackets rich yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeay, yep. It's like a tick verification just so rich rich person, which is fine. Just look at it through that line. Yeah yeah, these are rich people. You know how we had that warning before about like repeating this could cause damage or something like that. These people are rich, They're not like you. Yeah, you can't afford this. Don't quit your job. Don't quit your job by a farm with a little pet count named Julette. Don't don't. It will not look like this. You'll end up in financial room. You're not gonna have eating. Your kids are gonna get scurvy because you can't feed them. You don't know at homeschool training in your roof. Don't do it. So my charge and center is slightly different. I have feelings towards Daniel. Okay, you know Daniel's not on trial. Yes he is, because Daniel is part of Ballerina Farm. I think that I definitionally didn't define my scope well enough in this particular episode. No, And something that I've learned throughout this episode is that I think these personalities. You see somebody on social media and you think it's them, but they are a business. What and sometimes I'm gonna sell your life very controlled by Daniel. Wow. Yeah that should also be a little mini thing at the bottom of morning, just a little asterix controlled by Daniel. Yeah, edited by Daniel. Yeah, this was written by Daniel. Everything was a little bit informed by him. So I get weird vibes off Daniel, I do. Yeah, I get Megan Agnew was trying to tell us something. Yep. And so your charge is Daniel. Yeah, and I think, look, you know, it's one interview and you think, okay, maybe she picked up on some stuff that wasn't there. Yeah, but then the apron happened. Yeah, yeah, unfortunate and that confirmed everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My sentence is Ballerina Farm needs to work on Daniel's branding a brand within a brand. He doesn't pull his weight in that way like in a TikTok way. I feel as though he could do more ballet. Yeah, that's what I mean. It's like she's got ballet, she's got a thing. Yeah, she's single handedly growing this business. So she does a PR marketing side and he does I don't know, the business stuff, something like more of the land work or whatever they do kind of fifty to fifty. Okay, Well I'm gonna need more Daniel content. Yeah right, because your reputation isn't great. Yeah yeah. And to build that back up and to make sure that you're not pulling Ballerina Farm down, you need to establish who is Daniel? Yeah? What can he do? What can he do? What are his interests? What are his hobbies? Yeah? So I want a farm too. I brought to you by Daniel What's in thee in the Ditch? What's in the Ditch with Daniel Content series It's easy do an interview with two one, Part two, Part three. I want Tulip's journey from friendly cow to children's burger. Yes, I want Daniel wearing the apron and picking the eggs. Yeah yeah, I don't think you pick eggs. No, they don't grund trees. No. You know know what I was going to say is I was going to say they fall out of cows, and they don't. They fall out a chicken chickens. Okay, what he needs to do also another content series. I think he needs to do a content series. It's like surprises for Hannah because I need to appear to be a better husband. Yeah, let's convert the children's classroom into that ballet studio. Yeah, I think that'd be noice. I'd like it on tiktop. Do the children need a classroom?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. They can learn from the land. Do you want to know what else? Say? Sell because I've just I've finally had it. Well. Do you want a special box of beef jerky that's going to cost you two hundred and twenty five dollars? Jesse Jesse Daniel taking the piss? No, what I think it's chilip expense. Oh my god, it's really special. It's Chilip in the jerky limited edition. You know that protein powder I mentioned one hundred and one dollars. Do you want a sour dough kit that's going to set you back one hundred and thirty five? It's expensive? Is really price point? Do you want some salt for twenty three dollars Jesus my goodness? Or maybe you want some enamel dish soap for thirty four dollars. We do have an aprint it's not the egg apron, but Hannah's wearing it and it looks like the apron and it's thirty seven dollars. It's not good for eggs. Very very odd. I have so much stuff. Okay, before we go, you have a lazy girl story I do. This is from Ali. I'm a single mother to a sixteen month old. He was donor conceived. The logistics of that isn't lazy. No, I actually think that that donor conceived if in fact falling pregnant at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It actually involves you doing a thing and then your body doing a thing without you even thinking about it, and it keeps doing it. Yeah. Yeah, But I just open my linen covered and noticed I still have the sharps containers from all three rounds I've moved house, but taking them to wherever they go seems a lot. I would also feel like I had to explain it, and that's just too much. I think they'll just stay in the back of the closet. This is very an allegory for things that are unclear. How you do a disposed like come oil, don't put it down the sink, and I'm like, I won't, and then I just leave it next to the sink for six months. All like batteries, you're not meant to put that, You're meant to put them in the bin, but it's like, hmm, I'm gonna need a good reason why. Or like glass when you smash a glass and you're like baffled, baffled, baffled as to what to do with that? Yeah, bury it in your garden. Yeah, I don't know what you do with your sharps. And then a lot of who buys a sharp's disposal box? And from where I take it to the local shopping center or something, Yeah, because a lot of those places have a sharps. But can you throw like all your sharp feels like you're taking advantage? Yeah? And who do you ask? And it's always a lot when you have something quite confronting on you that you're asking about. Yeah. For example, I reise a shit sample to the Pooh sample. Where would I hypothetically leave a Pooh sample? Is it in your hand right now? Yeah? Can I give it to you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: Should I just leave it in the letter box? Please don't leave it the letter box. I'll just leave it here on the counter. Everybody in the way rooms is watching and you always try and hide it. Why is it clear? It doesn't have to be clear. I feel very that about the sharps containers. In case you didn't believe us when we said we were giving away a trip to Turkey, our winner, Amy has sent in a voice memo about her trip because, in not very lazy Girld fashion, she's already been. I love the Efficiency high Team.
Speaker 4: This is Amy, the winner of the Highlights of Turkey competition. We have been and gone on the trip and I'm still feeling so emotional over how life changing it was. We soaked up every single moment from the huge range of experiences across the eight days, from exploring Istanbul and Gallipoli and ancient cities and seeing sue turtles swim right ya al ofa Cruz boat. Amongst all the highlights, it was the little things that meant the most to us, things only a guided tour could really bring, like eating at authentic restaurants in back alleys and building bonds with other TOOL members. We couldn't believe how easy it was to the trip. From the day the competition was drawn, we were on a plane within.
Speaker 3: Just three weeks.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Amy from Explore Worldwide and Tammy, our travel agent. Turkey has never been on our radar, especially at this stage in our lives, but I can't brag about it enough. And if you've always thought that tours went for you, give it a go. Explore Worldwide with fabulous, no fast, no stress, but a whole lot of fun and adventure. We are forever thankful.
Speaker 3: Amy, We are so glad that you had a nice time. If you want the chance to win prizes without having to lift a finger, subscribe to Mama Maya via the link in our show notes and you'll be entered into all current and future Lazy Girl give boays, thank you so much for joining us on this episode of Canceled. The producer of Canceled is Kimberly Bradish, with audio production by Leah porge'es, and we will be back next week. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: If you liked this episode and want to hear more, have canceled. We'll put a link in the show notes. Go follow them in their own feed. You won't regret it.