Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm im a mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Unleashed. Welcome whoo podcast for gen X women who need a laugh.
Speaker 3: Now, if you cued from midnight showing of Dirty Dancing Me made mixtapes for people you fancied, yep, yep and genuinely believed a stonewashed denim jacket would solve all your problems.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, you're in the right place. Right. Who is on the sofa this week?
Speaker 4: Let's go?
Speaker 5: Hi. I'm Mary Kustis, I'm an actress, rider.
Speaker 4: I'm Bruno Pependerrea, film TV producer and podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Sally Hipworth and I am an author and podcaster.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm Kath Mahoney. I'm a comedian and a hypochondriac. Okay, so unclenchy jaw, clincher pelvic floor and get ready to unleash.
Speaker 2: Okay? Are we freeball chatting or what? Yeh?
Speaker 1: I mean speaking of free balling? Actually only I want to talk about squishes. Squashes. There are squishes all over my house. Does everyone know what we're asking about?
Speaker 4: SALAGONI people? What squishes are?
Speaker 1: Squishes are a little bit like I think what we would have called stress balls back in a day. It is a wishy little but squishyer. It depends on which type it is, because there are the cheap squishies and then there are the most expensive squishes. Some of them are called needles. Some of them are fake. The kids trade them anyway. The reason I know so much about squishes is that I returned from overseas about a month ago. I've been solo parenting during that time, and when I came back, my daughter wanted a squishy, and I said, absolutely not. I said, we're not putting our money and resources into this economy that is going to ruin the environment. I've now figured out that you can track my mental health by the amount of squishes in my house, because.
Speaker 2: How many of you bought.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're fucking everywhere. They're all over my house. She buys a squishy and by the time she's even left the store, she's already thinking about the next one she wants. We get home and it's on the floor. It's covered in hair. It's disgusting. She broke one the other day. Balls were all over my floor, right, so I'm then picking up the ball. I'm angry at life like I'm and you can't use any other device to clean them up. You have to use hand. I picked up all the balls and then I threw them out, and she came out cracked the shits at me because I threw out her squishy balls.
Speaker 4: Can I play Devil's Advocate for a minute, like number one? Stop hating on the squishes, and I'll tell you why, because I mean, my daughter's thirteen, and as far as she wants to play with freaking squishes and jelly cats, I am here for it. I'd much rather that than what maybe is coming next.
Speaker 1: Like babes.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean, I'm just like, yeah, get as many squishies and fluffy jelly cats as you want. I'm like, so here for it. Like let them. It says that they're still in like childhood. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but here's the problem with it, Brunner. Yeah, it's that I am also trying to write a book as well as like all of us and have all these children. And what my kids do, the wily little beasts that they are, is they wait until I'm mid scene or on a phone call or whatever. Mum, Nam can.
Speaker 4: Have a squishy cut, have a squishy.
Speaker 1: Num bah nah, and then they and I go yep, and I say yes, and then I hang up the phone.
Speaker 4: Can we order the squishy on Amazon? Can we go to the shops?
Speaker 1: And so it's not even about the squishy, it's about what the squishy represents. It's taken up my time and energy.
Speaker 2: It's just it.
Speaker 1: Bleeds me drying financially, emotionally and then physically when I'm cleaning up the balls.
Speaker 4: You need to go to therapy if other things.
Speaker 1: I need a squishy to squeeze while I'm sitting there.
Speaker 3: No squishes in my house. But Lewis, my son, is obsessed with fishing and has been for many years. So I just keep getting like texts and alerts on Luis Sale sale of lures, Otto's World of Fishing, Like you know, I am not into fishing, but just get spammed by all the las.
Speaker 1: Two things you just mentioned, because I don't even know what.
Speaker 3: A lure, which I think it's like a squishy, but it's for a fish, a fish squishy.
Speaker 5: It's like track date and it's squishy but it's not edible.
Speaker 3: But Lou you just reminded me it's exactly the same. It's that moment of weakness when you've either got single parent guilt or you've.
Speaker 2: Done something wrong, or you just want them to zip it.
Speaker 1: You haven't played with them for a while and you think this might buy me, you know.
Speaker 3: Ten minutes anything, and then you do. You do a big spend our minds in fishing world. But then it's the mum key chair when it's coming mum, mum. He'll text from school or email. Can you can you send me, email me what we bought for mottoes last night?
Speaker 2: Can you just send me a screenshop now?
Speaker 3: Now you said it was going to arrive on Tuesday. When is it arrivor it's exactly that and you just go whoa.
Speaker 1: And then it comes and it's not the one that they want, or it's a fake and that's your problem and you might have to go to Southland. You're looking down the barrel of driving to Southland.
Speaker 2: Hang on, what's Southland?
Speaker 1: It's our closest Westfield.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a shopping center. Yeah, okay, I thought it was like some kind of dodgy neighbors trade.
Speaker 1: What kind of is and yeah, So there's a direct correlation between how I'm speaking right now and the amount of squishes lots of squishes, bad mental health.
Speaker 5: You know what you need, Sally, an old fashioned stress ball, all.
Speaker 2: Right, burning question from me.
Speaker 3: When you reach a certain age, you just realize a lot of what you've been told is bullshit, most of them.
Speaker 2: Most of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, you know, when you hear phrases like act your age, what does that actually mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What does that mean to me?
Speaker 3: It means like be smaller, be dimmer, keep yourself a bit, you know, don't be yourself. So the burning question is what is a common saying or belief that really gets you goat?
Speaker 5: There's so many of them.
Speaker 4: I've got one. This is my top number one, And I feel like you're all going to relate you ready, Everything happens for a reason. Shit, No, it doesn't for a reason. Sometimes shit just happens, and a lot of bad shit happens sometimes. Really, what's the reason. I'm sorry? No, I just don't. I'm not on board with that everything happens for a reason. No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And in complete contrast to everything happens for a reason, is shit happens. And you don't say shit happens because everything happens for a reason. You're either saying one or the other.
Speaker 4: No, but you know those people. Let's say someone I know very well, my husband. But like, no matter what happens, it doesn't matter how bad it is or how good it is. Oh no, you know there's a reason or you know it's like come or it's the path, or you know, we cause our own suffering if we're not on board with that, you know what I mean? Like, I'm just not on board with that piece of advice. Like, no, sometimes bad shit just happens and there is no reason.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't like close enough is good enough.
Speaker 4: Thought, like there's no second place, Like yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Mean that in terms of whether you win an award or a race or anything like that, but just close enough's good enough.
Speaker 4: But is that about not trying?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's about it doesn't have to be right. It can be a little wrong and that's fine. Close enough good It just seems like I'm tapping out of trying to do something well.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what I mean? Yeah, I like that enough?
Speaker 1: So you think you should always that The correct one would be you should do your to do it right?
Speaker 5: Is that just try and do something really well? Yeah, close enough isn't good enough?
Speaker 2: A lot of the time, you know.
Speaker 5: So that's just one of mine I've got. There's plenty that's good.
Speaker 3: Actually, one that I really hate as a single person is it'll happen when you least expect.
Speaker 1: Yes, Also for people trying to have a baby, they say that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, just relax, that's what they told me for ten years. I'm like, yeah, I can relax, but you know what, the sperm's never going to meet the egg. It's blocked down there. So I don't know how much I have to relax to open up that orifice or that tube.
Speaker 4: Do you know.
Speaker 1: The one I don't get on board with it all is that women over forty or over a certain age are invisible. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't buy that either.
Speaker 1: You hear it a lot, and I just always tell people to examine why they feel like that. And I spoke to my mum about it recently and I said, do you feel invisible? And she said not at all. In fact, I've never felt more visible than since I've had a disability. And she said, when I'm out, I always feel like people will help me, that they're aware of me, that they give me space to, you know, move forward or get places I need to go for me as a woman in my forties, I've never felt more visible. You know, I don't think I was particularly visible in my twenties. Now I stand in front of a room and people listen to what I have to say. You know, as a mum, I'm extremely visible. Whenever my kids need anything, they're looking to me. Who do we look at if there's a disaster, We look for the middle aged woman. You know, who do we look for if we are in a hospital and we want You know, when I had my babies, who was I happy when they came into the room the middle aged nurse duty was coming in to help me with my babies. I think that people kind of blindly say I've become invisible. Maybe it's equating it to they don't get wolf whistled at anymore. But by the way, I sometimes get wolf whistled at when I'm wearing my wig and people can't see my face. However, I think that we are actually more visible than we have ever and for much better reasons. They're being looked at for who we are, what we think, what we've achieved, wisdom and yeah, even from my mum who's eighty and has a disability she still feels very visible. So I think it's about what you choose to notice and what you are choosing to feel, you know, valued.
Speaker 5: For Here's what I think is people feel invisible. So that's different to becoming invisible in terms of how other people view you.
Speaker 2: If you don't feel.
Speaker 5: Visible, then you're gonna act invisible. Yes, but you know, like my mother's eighty seven, never a more visible short person you've ever seen in your life, Like she doesn't feel invisible. So I think often when people say that, it's a clue to how they feel or whether you know they feel powerful or you know you're not invisible. But if you feel invisible, then there's no talking you out and no one can see it.
Speaker 4: Can I just say? I think what we're all saying is the same thing, which is like, there's myths that the world perpetuates, like women are invisible after forty or this is how these are myths, Like it's kind of systemic, and what you're saying so is right, which is like, well, who says? I mean, I think it's kind of we've been sold this idea. But like, as women in the workforce, right, I've never felt more visible or more able to kind of stand up and be noticed and be listened to, because I think people are looking to us. I'm looking to older people for their wisdom constantly. I think there's a lot to be learned from, you know, older people.
Speaker 3: The only place I feel invisible, because I'm hardly a wallflower, is when I'm driving my son and his mates to training, to school's training. I've never felt so invisible in my whole life. You're basically just a nuber driver. Yeah, because what else have I got to give a bunch of sixteen and seventeen year our labs.
Speaker 2: Nothing. I have jokes sometimes.
Speaker 3: Any of my songs, they just I'm like, this is a banger, and Lewis just goes you become.
Speaker 1: Visible if you have food with those kind of that age.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when I say KFC training, I am like, I am like very visible in front seat.
Speaker 5: Here's a cliche that I like, you don't ask, you don't get. And going back to the boardroom, going back to women feeling powerful. You know, we know this for a fact. Men ask for more than what we do in a professional setting, and women have just got to do more of that. We're not trying to be men, We're just actually trying to get what we believe we deserve. And if we're not asking for that thing, then of course we're going to be overlooked for someone that is probably asking for it.
Speaker 2: That's real, and.
Speaker 5: So yeah, you ask, you get, you don't ask, you don't.
Speaker 1: Like it, be visible and ask and ask.
Speaker 4: Guys, have you heard of that game two Truth and a Lie?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I thought it was a way for us to continue to get to know each other. It might be fun if we played it today on the unleashed couch. What do you think I love that? Okay, let's start with me. Okay, I'm just going to say three random things, and then I'm going to go around and ask each of you which you think the liars?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 4: Number one, I had sex with someone who played a prince in a movie. Number two, I've met three presidents of different countries. Number three, I've been the inspiration for three works of art.
Speaker 1: Sally, I think number three is the lie. You are many things, but I don't think I'd be inspired to create art about.
Speaker 4: You and your I mean, that's just.
Speaker 5: So upsetting, so many we just confess.
Speaker 4: No moving on.
Speaker 3: Ka, Well, I feel like number one could be true. So I know you've had sex with a lot of luck people. So I'm going to go for a number two is a lie?
Speaker 4: The President's I met three presidents of different countries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with Kath. Really that you've met three presidents of different countries could be a lie. I know you've met one, possibly two, but I don't know about three.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the truth? The truth?
Speaker 4: There's Mary and Kath are right?
Speaker 1: Three pieces of art?
Speaker 4: Number one. I'm going to get to that. The two president I met two presidents. I met President Barack Obama, yes, and I met the president of Botswana years ago when I went to Africa. So two presidents not three? Yes, number one. We won't go into that. I have been the inspiration for three works of art. I was an inspiration ones for a painting another very famous Melbourne artist, Jeff Comember his last name. I was painted nude on a bicycle with a baggette in my basket coming out of your in fact, and apparently some accountant bought that painting is probably sitting on someone's wall. I was like, oh who brought that one? And number three?
Speaker 2: And hold on? Thank you? Where I was?
Speaker 4: Where was the beginning the basket of the bike.
Speaker 2: I forget it.
Speaker 1: At first, I thought of you was on a bike. No, I just I posed naked. I can't remember probably the time you were naked sitting on a bike holding a bag get.
Speaker 4: I was riding the bike and the baguette in the basket. Okay, that's not the most important. The third one is I met very famous and I cannot reveal his name, Irish artist. And years later I found out when he told me I met him for one night, but apparently I had a profound impact on him that I had been the inspiration for one of his exhibitions. Wow, yes, he worked in bronze. Let's just put it that way. Well, so I have Sally he wor the inspirations. Okay, Mary, what have you got?
Speaker 5: Okay? So my two truths and a lie. One. I had my first orgasm at eight two. I lost my virginity at twenty one and three. I shaved my mustache at eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sally, I'm going to say, you lost you virginity at twenty one is a lie?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm in the back, Sally up with that. Number two is a lie.
Speaker 4: Bruna, I all this is so hard. I believe, I know one is true. I believe I'm going to just I'm going to be an outli here and say, you shaved your mustache at twelve is a lie?
Speaker 5: Ah, the girls are right. I had a fat my virginity at eighteen, not twenty one. But I did shave my mustache at eleven. And I did have an accidental orgasm at eight.
Speaker 2: I knew it. I knew the eight that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how was it an accidental orgasm at eight?
Speaker 5: Well? I was at a friend's house and we're watching a black and white movie, you know, Saturday afternoons, and the mother for some reason, had a lot of moles on her face, and the couple had hair coming out. But I digress, and she was darning. I felt like saying, you could use some of that hair instead of that cotton, just quietly. Anyway, she was darning, and my friend was there, my friend's brother was there, and we were just innocently watching a black and white movie. This when I was growing up in Collywood. And at one point at the end of the movie, like they often did, it was a romantic sort of moment, the couple kiss and go into a room and the door closes and then the end comes up. Well, they kissed and something opened for me. Oh my god. I had a full body tingle from my toes to the top of my head and it featured heavily in the equator part of my body just south of my equator. And I don't know what happened. All I knew that something massive had just happened and I needed to get home to deal with it.
Speaker 4: Wow. Remember one congratulations.
Speaker 5: So no hands were involved. It was literally just watching those two people kiss.
Speaker 1: But the part about the moles that I had nothing to do. It was not a little storytelling you, well the business a red herring because I was holding onto that being very arousing for you.
Speaker 2: I went home.
Speaker 5: I went home, and maybe half an hour later I went to the bathroom and it was so slippery down there. When I wiped, I felt like a fast bowler. I nearly dislocated my shoulder. And at that point, as an eight year old who didn't know anything about anything, I thought I was pregnant. And in that moment when I thought, oh my god, I'm eight years old and I'm pregnant.
Speaker 2: What am I going to do?
Speaker 5: How am I going to pay for raising this child? What am I going to call it? All these really important questions. I began rocking backwards and forwards, and then my brother knocked on the door and said, we're going down to the yarra to kick a footy. Do you want to come? And I went yes, and in my state, in my with child state, I left that bathroom and went and kicked the footy and forgot that I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: This is like a French film, like, well, you just don't know where it's.
Speaker 4: And you don't need no dermatology. You need to get rid of that facial mustache.
Speaker 2: You knew early on.
Speaker 5: My brother told me we were having dinner. It was lovely. It was such a loving moment. And he leant over and because he had a monobrow at the time, not that I said anything, but he turned around and went and I was like, what, thinking I might have had a booger or perhaps some food on my faces. You've got a mustache. And I got up from the table. I ran into the bathroom and I shaved it with my dad's razor and I showed.
Speaker 4: Him Mary ouch care, what about you?
Speaker 3: Two truths and a lie Number one, I dated more than one famous sportsman. Number two, I've touched up j Lo. Number three, I've passed Robbie Williams.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they're so good, so good, so good.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say passed Robbie Williams is a lie, because if that was true and you hadn't told me that, that would help be how I led every conversation with I'm Sally Hepworth. I passed Williams. So we'll see.
Speaker 5: I'll go the first one that that you've had sex, was it dated? You've dated more than one because I believe you being in the music industry for all those years, version of what touched up means might mean oh, like, you know, straightened her jacket or did something like that. Touching might not be sexual. In that case, I think Robbie would be up for anything I recognized. Really, I mean like I could just see him walking into a room going oh, you're you're a right sort, and then just planting one.
Speaker 1: You are a right sort. Thanks.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so I'd say number one. Okay, I think dated two famous sportsmen.
Speaker 4: I'm very torn. I was going to go with number one, but I also I feel instinctively that you did not pesh, Robbie Williams. That's what I'm going to go with.
Speaker 1: Three.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marry, you're correct. I never dated two sportsmen.
Speaker 4: One was enough one just one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Now tell us about Robbie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, did you not know that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I was nineteen, he was nineteen. He just left take that. Remember when he went with an Oasis and got really rock star. So I'm working in a Beitha at the time. It's holidays. I'm at university, so I've gone there for three months. We knew the word on the grapevine was Robbie Williams was in town. And then I spot him when we're in Cafe del Mark, which is one of like the famous kind of cafe clubs that's there, and I may have followed him to the toilet line.
Speaker 5: Now she doesn't remember.
Speaker 3: I may have been, you know, enthusiastic about the night and being in a bethera and I just sort of tapped him on the shoulder and said, hey, let's her, let's have a snog.
Speaker 4: Wereviated at the time.
Speaker 3: I might have been in a party high so to speak, high party high retout. Did he say something, No, he just went absolutely come here and oh yeah, he was up for it. Yeah, okay, and then obviously I just took all my coins to the nearest phone box because that's how old it was, and called everybody in England.
Speaker 4: I take because it was in the day.
Speaker 2: It's a good.
Speaker 3: Pash, I've got to say. Many years later, when I was in La staying with a girlfriend who's Australian, she was like, tomorrow we're going to a three year old birthday party. It's like a Mermaids and Unicorns some sort of party.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 3: Only I had not long come in from Australia, so you know, you jet lagged when you come into La. You're sort of good at the nighttime, not so good in the morning. Anyway, when she came back, I said, oh, how was it? And it turns out it was Robbie Williams Kids part.
Speaker 2: I was like, why didn't you say? I would have gone? I would have gone Robbie. Do you remember my lips? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: I'm going to take a guess that he wouldn't remember.
Speaker 3: You guess I wasn't in the Netflix special, so I remember me?
Speaker 5: What was the Jalo story?
Speaker 2: Jalo? I was working for Sony Music.
Speaker 3: You were correct, Jalo was here and we'd just done a big thing down at Boomerang House, you know, down in at the harbor, and then we were going on to a yacht to present her with a big award, you know, for her record sales, these really ugly awards that we made in the music industry. And there was a tiny yacht and the CEO was a squash and my one job was to hold the award. So I was holding it against my legs like it was so heavy I thought i was going to like break my fingers. So I've put my hands in front of it. Jlo takes a step back. It's a very small space, and then her bottom cheeks are on my hands. And I've only been with Sony Music about six weeks that time, so I'm like, do I move my hand like I'm cupping j Loo's beautiful bottom. If I move it, she might think that I've dropped the hand for a feel if I leave it there as it were. So it was like the longest twenty seconds of my life. And then she dismounted and we didn't talk about it again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's my story.
Speaker 1: Sally A life okay, less exciting than any of those in fact I'm going to lead with I've never had a feeling, So that's a cracker.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I was once a contestant on Supermarket Sweep, and I once shared a two style hotel with a middle aged man and woman in La on a book tour.
Speaker 4: Okay, I feel confident. I think a lie is number one. You you've never had a feeling.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think the lie is number three. You've never had to share a room with two others, a man and a woman.
Speaker 3: Such thing as a two star hotel there is I'm going to go for two, just to mix it up. That you were never on seth market Sweep.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I was once a contestant on Family Feud, but I have not been a contestant on Supermarket Sweep. That was the one I really wanted to.
Speaker 4: You've never had a feeling.
Speaker 1: Never had a feeling. I was a contestant on Family Feud. We were bundled out in the first round with nothing but a two hundred and fifty dollars Billy guyets voucher. But we gave it our best crack. And I did once share a two star hotel in LA with a middle aged man and woman When in My flight was canceled to New York and there were no hotels available.
Speaker 5: Did you know those people?
Speaker 2: Horendous?
Speaker 5: Did anything happen?
Speaker 1: Did you get to know them? You know? The funniest bit about it was Lorraine and Mark as I got to know. They weren't together, they were in All of us were traveling separately, and we met at the airport when we found out the flights was delayed. Lorraine had a working phone, so she found a hotel that was available. We went to the hotel and we all had a room there, and so we all got into a cab went to the hotel. Turned out it was booked for the next night and they didn't have any rooms available that night, and we were at a loss of what was going to happen. And the lady that worked there said, if you go down the road, there's a vacancy sign. And I looked down the road. It was one of those hotels where the prostitutes get killed in American howns with the flickering sign and the palm tree, you know it. And so they had one room available. So I said, to please tell me there were at least two beds. Would you like to share had one queen size bed. No, so we went up to the room and you could see from the outside because you know, like a motel. It was a motel, so you know they've got the stairs on the outside, you know, the one's from the parking lot.
Speaker 2: So we walked up.
Speaker 1: So Mark saw us off into the room. We had our Quantus pajamas and that's it we got. We hopped into bed together, me and Lorraine die and then and then knock knock, Mark's back. Couldn't find anywhere to stay. So I went to the door with Lorraine. We're in our paj I said, Lorraine, someone's at the door, and we looked through the peepole and there's Mark. And you know what was so funny about it is that all I had with me was my Quantus pajamas and a bag of cash American dollars because the time before i'd come my cards didn't work. And so I remember getting into bed and thinking to myself, when my body is found in this room, how is my family going to unpick.
Speaker 4: What has happened.
Speaker 1: They put me on a plane to New York and they find me in a two star motel on a motorway in La with a middle aged man and woman and a suitcase full of ca.
Speaker 4: This is very dets. Sorry, yeah, but can I just tell you I guarantee you. I guarantee you I would have found a room. I would have found well, I wouldn't care what it.
Speaker 1: Would you because my a lot of bel A friends. It was really late at night, and my phone wasn't working.
Speaker 5: Well, what about the Rain's phone. You'd have to know the number.
Speaker 1: Lorraine lived in New York and so she was She knew what she was doing.
Speaker 2: So where did he sleep?
Speaker 1: He slept, So when he came back, I remember looking at Lorraine going, Lorraine, do we let him in? And Lorraine went, just like shrug. It was so late, so we let him in. He got some cushions from the chair, lay them down at the end of the bed, and he took his pants off, and he was wearing electric blue box of shorts. And I closed my eye and I thought, I thought, I'm not going to sleep a wink. But then I fell dead asleep. And then we all flew to La together the next day on the plane, and I posted a photo of the three of us with the story what had happened, and by the time we landed in New York, Mark, whose wife lived in New York. She was a diplomat or something. She Mark came up and said, my wife's really upset with me because I've just got off the plane and turned on my phone and I've got all these messages saying that her friends of all message to going. Your husband's shared a hotel with Sally Hepworth last night in la.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's such the greatest story ever goes on.
Speaker 1: I also am now good friends with Lorraine, and she, as it turns out, is loaded and lives in New York on the Upper East Side, and had me over for cocktails the last time I went, and has read all my books.
Speaker 2: I love love this for you, good old Lorraine.
Speaker 5: Did she invite Mark?
Speaker 1: Mark's never been heard from again.
Speaker 4: It's brilliant.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies, it's that time of the episode. We love it. Other people's problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now this one is a little bit spicy. So not only is this from anonymous, but we've actually had to have somebody.
Speaker 2: Else voice voiceover.
Speaker 3: Okay, the content, so we don't identify them. Okay, strap yourselves in.
Speaker 6: I need to tell someone this because I can't tell anyone. I know I had an affair. It's over. My husband doesn't know. Nobody knows. I ended it because I wanted to, not because I got caught, and I have made peace with who I was when it happened. That's not the problem. The problem is that the man I had the affair with has just started dating a close friend. She's besotted. She messaged me little tipbits about him. She used the word soul mate. She asked me to have dinner with them next month, the three of us.
Speaker 2: I can't tell her.
Speaker 6: It would detonate her happiness and my marriage, and I don't think the truth is going to help anyone at this point. But I have to sit across a dinner table from a man I was in bed with, watch him be in love with my friend.
Speaker 2: How do I do that? Any tips?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's complicated space. That's like one of those you know, it's a box within a box within a box within a box, and then suddenly there's a bottle with a ship in it.
Speaker 1: I have questions, Okay, what do you correct must and which we obviously will not be able to answer unless I miss something. I want to know if she still has feelings for him. I want to know if he knows about that she's the friend, you know, is he aware of the situation.
Speaker 4: I think we can assume, yes, we have to assume to that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, firstly, she doesn't have to go out to dinner with them.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Well it sounds like it's a really close friend though, so that would be she can she.
Speaker 2: Could pull a sickie.
Speaker 1: You think you probably put it off for as long as you can, just in case, because she doesn't have to face it if it doesn't end up lasting.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you've just got to face it. I mean, if it was me, I think I'd go to the dinner and just kind of face up to that. I mean, in a funnier version for me. As we all know, I dated a lot of actors in my youth, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit on sets where they turn up and my poor husband sitting next to me producing and I have to whisper, Oh, I just want to let you know, And it's just it is like a little bit confronting different. But oh god, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know know that you have slept with this actor?
Speaker 4: Is that what you're Yeah, just because it is. Look, it's I think she's in a she's not in a great position. And also that's a small world, right like and does he know? And is that part of it?
Speaker 5: And I think it would be different if she wasn't in a marriage. Yeah, but she's in a marriage. So she really can't afford to take an extreme position on this because she's still married what always was for her, and she needs to be supportive of her friend who's got it's something new and something meaningful.
Speaker 1: I think what I'm struggling with is that to me? And because this is my situation, the friendship is the primary relationship. You men come and go, and if this is her best friend, I'm not sure if that was what was said. Really, I can't imagine if I had had an affair not sharing that with my best friend. Like I've never had an affair, but I can't imagine not sharing that information. And so it's then hard to step in at this point.
Speaker 5: But this is where it gets complicated, Yeah, isn't it, Because if they were close, she would have already told that friend or maybe obviously not, she hasn't what if that affair comes out at some point, So even if she doesn't confess to it, maybe might or maybe something.
Speaker 4: That's what I'd be No, I don't blame her for not telling her friend, because I think if you've had an affair, sometimes you choose to tell no one and you know, because it's obviously she's you know, she stayed in her marriage obviously and so really complicated. So I kind of understand why she didn't tell anyone. But that's what i'd be more afraid of, is what he's going to do.
Speaker 1: That's why I think that I just think that's the primary relationship with her friend, and I would tell her. I think that the idea of a friend finding out two years down the track that I hadn't told them is more horrifying than the marriage breaking up. That's your friend, that's your life partner.
Speaker 4: I think here's what i'd do. I think i'd tell someone else. I would definitely share with another friend who I really trusted, because that's a lot to carry. It's a lot for her to be carrying right now.
Speaker 3: I think she has to sort of sit back and see how it plays out with the friend and the guy, because this could be a short phssit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be.
Speaker 5: That's what I was thinking too, if I was her, I'd probably go just to get a sense whether he feels the same about her, as she's claiming this guy's her soul mate, just to see if that's in fact where it's at for him as well. Having said that, he might not confess if this is the love of his life, and if it fizzles out, then she's dodged a bullet.
Speaker 4: What if she has a conversation with him. I mean they both know as him, right, so it might be good to have.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, yeah, because it doesn't necessarily have to blow up her marriage, Like if she is, you know, committed to her husband at this point, she tells him, she tells her they could still have a good relationship. I think just continuing the lie with her friend just compounds everything.
Speaker 5: So what could you do in a situation like that. You could leave the country.
Speaker 3: You could find some new friends, self produced coma till the relationship finishes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, very long lasting virus. It won't go away in a hurry through many dinners.
Speaker 1: She could murder him.
Speaker 4: We'd come up with that one.
Speaker 5: So many options, I think, you know, always the best option is just to go towards the thing you fear most, which is turn up us it out. Maybe it'll fizzle out, maybe it won't. As Bruna said, she might have to have a word to him. If she sees that it's a really important relationship and it's got legs, she might want to have a conversation with the man that she had the affair with and said, look, this is I love her, you love her. It didn't mean anything to us what happened. Let's just keep it in the vault and move on.
Speaker 4: Mary. You can use your real name now.
Speaker 2: It's totally fine.
Speaker 4: Steve and I have spoken about it.
Speaker 1: Before we finished today. I have been thinking Kat about the fact that you have never been to a formal, and I think it's a tragedy because formals are such a ride of passage. They are something that most people do here in Australia. You get dressed up, like being introduced to the world as an adult, and I just think that you would be such a beautiful prom date. I think that that you should get to have that experience as a special woman that you are. And I've been thinking that we should throw a formal for cats.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, definitely might cry.
Speaker 1: Here is a course, and I would love it if you would be my date.
Speaker 2: I would love to be a date to your formal. Thank you, and we're going to.
Speaker 1: Get We'll get our hair done, we'll do our makeup. But you can't break up with me during the ball, kiss someone else and then have three children with them. That's all I have.
Speaker 2: Promise, promise, that's a yes from me.
Speaker 1: We can all go. We can get dressed up, Kath can experience the right of passage that we have here in Australia of the formal. I'm talking hair done, dresses, yes, limos, pres prise. You're definitely with a lot of cocktails, but no parents are coming, so I can get as drunk as we want.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we can invite the unleashes. Everyone can come along.
Speaker 2: With disco, disco, disco, totally like it.
Speaker 4: This could be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brunie, you're good at organizing things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, because I haven't got enough to do. Definitely give me that job.
Speaker 5: Is there a theme? Yeah, maybe we do, Like you know, nineties formal. I've got plenty of effie dresses, like a bit Romey and Michelle's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, this is great.
Speaker 1: I shall work for that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Think about the eighties and nineties soundtrack. I want full pretty of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I won't be in charge of the music.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that we could have so much fun. It could be the best party. I think lots about our unleashes will want to come along. Let's get the ball rolling on this cast formal.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, let's do this having a formal, ladies. Yeah right, that is okay.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm a bit overcome, so I think we should probably wrap the episode up now, Ladies, what a corker.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening and you would genuinely think about coming to my formal, can you reach out because I like, I'm almost speechless, sally hepword.
Speaker 2: This is very exciting.
Speaker 3: Finally, I've only waited for forty years for this moment. Whoa Okay, well, DMS, if you're interested, unleash dot show on Instagram.
Speaker 2: We read it all, don't we, Ladies.
Speaker 4: Do we love hearing from you?
Speaker 2: We absolutely do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if another of you want the formal, we will send it to management here and we will get on it. Unleash your ideas on us. This is really exciting. DMS at Unleashed dot show on our Instagram. We can all wait from you and your ideas.
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, Well, as we like to say, ladies, see Nag Tuesday. Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, and stay unleashed, Stay unleash.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: If you've ever walked into a room and forgotten why you were there, woken up at three am for absolutely no reason, or suddenly thought hang on, is this my personality now?
Speaker 2: Or is it hormones?
Speaker 3: This is for you. Very Parry on demand is here. This is Mumma MIA's perimenopause series, built especially for you. I've joined forces with Holly Wainwright, Lee Campbell and our very own doctor Ginny Mansburg and twenty five Australia's leading women's health experts to talk everything menopause, brain fog, weight gain, sleep, rage, changing periods, HRT, libido, mood. There are more than twenty session, all completely on demand and bingeable, so you can watch them in your own home, in your own trackies with a cup of tea. Head to the link in our show notes now to get access for just fifty nine dollars. That's forty percent off, but only for a limited time. Mumma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on