Speaker 1: Before you listen today. This episode contains stories of child sexual abuse, sexual assault, and suicide. Nina Fanelle is lying in the dirt. It's two thousand and seven and she'd been walking home from a university celebration to her parents' house in Sydney's Lower north Shore when she was attacked by a stranger. At first, her reaction to being punched, threatened, pulled into a nearby park and sexually assaulted was to freeze. But right now she's ready to fight. The man's grasp is still on her throat. She can't breathe, she can't move. I don't want to die, not like this, she thinks. Then she's fighting him, thrashing, kicking, punching, anything to get his body off hers. It works, He retreats and she runs. I'm Jemma Bath and you're listening to True Crime Conversations, a podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. Nina Fanel didn't get justice in her own story. They never found the guy who sexually assaulted and attacked her, but her experience lit a fire in her belly, and she has used her career as a journalist to help other victim survivors of assault. She has changed laws across the country, held systems and people and abuses to account, and helped reshape the way the Australian media tells the stories of survivors. Her various campaigns, such as the let Her Speak campaign, which targeted gag laws preventing victims from naming themselves, introduced us to survivors like Grace Tamee, who went on to become Australian of the Year for her own advocacy in this space. The Justice Shouldn't Hurt campaign helped Pipper and Rose Milthorpe share their experience as child victim survivors in the new South Wales court system, ultimately leading to an enormous change for the state in the way young people give evidence. We've actually had their mum Michelle speak on a recent episode of this podcast right now, she's in the midst of another campaign. It's called Keep Counseling Confidential, which I'll let her explain. Nina is a force to be reckoned with. She is a tireless advocate and has become a safe place for people to share their truth. She has won various awards for her work, including the Australian Human Rights Award and a Kennedy Award. She joins us now to talk about it all. Nina, thank you for joining us on True Crime Conversations. You have built your career on telling the stories of victim survivors as a victim survivor yourself. How hard is that to do this day in and day out, to tell these stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's a bit of a double edged sword in the sense that a lot of the details that I'm looking at, particularly in police reports, are very graphic and very harrowing, but the people themselves are extraordinary. And the thing about my work is that I'm not a court reporter. I'm not going And I did that for one day and I actually didn't survive it because, yeah, yeah, I was reporting on a rape case and I went to trial and I was watching a survivor being cross examined, and I actually felt like I was watching someone being tortured. It was very very clear that they did not want to be there, and I felt sick. I couldn't do that kind of reporting. I learned court reporting is not for me.
Speaker 1: It's very hard. I've done it before too, and it's very confronting. It is.
Speaker 2: It is, whereas the sort of reporting that I'm doing is I'm usually so the way that I work is that victim survivors approach me. I never do call out, and there are a range of reasons why I don't do callouts. But when victim survivors approach me, if I have capacity to do the story, usually they're at a point in their own recovery and healing where they've actually had some therapy, they've regained some agency, They're at a point where they're reclaiming, and so I'm meeting people not on the worst day of their life. I'm actually usually meeting them at a point where they're beginning to become re empowered, and I view my role as walking alongside them in that process. And so the people themselves are actually quite extraordinary. The details are harrowing, but I actually really enjoy the work with the people.
Speaker 1: That's such an amazing way to look at it, like you are the vehicle that helps them kind of yeah, yeah, get back out there and reclaim everything.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly how I view it, as I'm facilitating them at taking that next step in their process towards healing and recovery or you know, reclaiming agency over their story.
Speaker 1: I want to start with your story. Sure, lots of people might not have heard it us about what happened to you in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure. So I was studying Media and Communications at Sydney University. I wanted to be a journalist, and I was doing my honors year in Media and Comms. And it was actually on the day of my honors presentation. I was traveling home afterwards, and I was walking down my street, which is in Sydney. At the time, I was living with my parents and it's in a pretty safe suburbs in Hunters Hill, and I was I had headphones on, and I remember I was carrying my university notes and a bottle of Coachs Hero and I had a guy approach me from behind and he grabbed me around here and he held a box cut of blade to my throat and he dragged me into a park and he said he released me, and he came in and he stood in front of me and he said, point blank, he said, I'm going to kill you. And he made a fist and he struck me and I fell back on my back and he climbed on top of me and began strangling me and bashing me and then indecently sexually assaulting me. And you know, this is nineteen years ago now, so it's I've had a lot of therapy and a lot of processing since then. But I fought back, and there's parts of my memory that are missing or that are fragmented. I do remember a feeling. I mean, the most terrifying part was actually when I was being strangled because I couldn't breathe and I thought I was going to die. When he got off me, I remember like just the sensation, the feeling of lightness on my chest that I could breathe again. And then the next memory that I have is actually standing up and looking down and I had blood on my hands, and because he'd had a box cut of blade, I didn't know, you know, I was in shock. I didn't know if I'd been stabbed. I didn't know why I had blood on my hands. I didn't I was disoriented and confused. The first thing I did was I checked my body to see if I was bleeding anywhere, And when I couldn't find anywhere that I was bleeding, I just grabbed my bag which was on the ground, and got out my phone and began running. And I called the police as I was running down my street and telling them my name, where I live, what had happened to me. And I got to the front door of my parents' house and I got out my key, and I just remember my hands were shaking so much that I couldn't get my key in the front door, and I just remember having this sort of another surge of the adrenaline, thinking like, is he going to grab me again because I can't get inside anyway. Eventually I calmed my hand down enough to get the key in the door, and I got inside, and soon after the police arrived. They took me back to the park where it happened, straightway, straight away. Yeah, but it was interesting because you don't necessarily respond in these moments where you think you're going to respond, like people have often said, you know, it was that terrifying. And I was like no, I was like, by then I had gone from freeze mode to fight mode, into flight mode, then back into fight mode, and so when we went back to the park, I was ready to fight like I had by then. There were a number of police, there were police dogs, I thought that they were going to catch him. I was like, let's get him, let's get him. Yeah, they I mean they found a bunch of like he'd ripped my necklace off, they found there was scuff marks in the ground, like all of that. I remember seeing my coke, my bottle of cokes here on the ground and instinctively going to pick it up because it was like like rubbish, like you clean up, you know, and then being like, no, don't touch that. That's now evidence, and me just kind of going right like right of course, okay, this is evidence now, and it being this weird anyway, So they took me to the police station, and yeah, that night I went through the process of you know, the photographs, swabs, all of that sort of stuff, making the police report, and then getting referred to to raw No Sure sexual assault Service. So that was. Yeah, that was when I was twenty three, and yeah, like it changed my life. I talk about it now quite just passionately, probably because I've had sort of certain therapies and so on. But I don't think you do. You're just very matter of fact. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, firstly, I'm sorry that happened to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: How did you find your interactions with the police, because had you interacted with police before this?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I'd ever been inside a police station before that. I had a challenging experience with the police in that I gave a description of the offender and they did what's called a comfit, which is like a sketch drawing yes. Yeah, And so they got me back in the station a few days later. I was still, you know, in acute trauma, and they got me to look through like these big binders of sex offenders who live in my area. And I had no idea that there were that many sex offenders that live locally. Like that in and of itself was actually really quite overwhelming and traumatic. So I'm flicking through these binders of these faces and they're essentially asking me do you recognize the person? And I didn't. He wasn't in there. But as I was doing that, there was a conversation happening behind me between a couple of guys, and they were talking about how, oh, you know the problem is, you know, these young women they don't understand the risk out there and the risks that they're putting themselves in. And I was just like you know, I was. The problem is not young women, no, full stop no. And the problem is not the decision. You know, I was walking down my street and I'd had that sort of attitude from other people in my life who I disclosed to already of you know, how could you be so stupid to be walking home alone? Da da da da da. You know, and you know, when your human rights have just been violated, the last thing that you expect is that people are then going to turn around and blame you or question you or suggest that you've made the mistake as opposed to the person that's violated your human rights. And that was both. I mean, look, it was at the time, it was incredibly challenging. In retrospect, it's been incredibly motivating.
Speaker 1: Very motivating, I would say, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I look. I actually subsequently found out that so that police station was Glades Or Police station, and several years later, in twenty thirteen, I got an alert that the station was actually there was a culture in that station where one of the cops there had been secretly recording himself having sex with women using a pinhole camera and then bringing the footage to work and showing it around to no. No, and I remember reading that going, are you fucking kidding me? My goodness, So that was the culture of that police station, where he would this individual was bringing this footage to work, showing it to his mates, are the coppers, so that they could all have a good laugh at this woman whose human rights were being.
Speaker 1: Exploited and people fighting for.
Speaker 2: These were the people who were meant to support me in my most vulnerable moment of my life. So when I found that story in twenty thirteen, it was, you know, it was horrifying to think about the women that that had happened to, who had been filmed without their consent, and how they would be filming feeling sorry. It was also oddly vindicating in that because this isn't the first time I've spoken publicly about the fact that the police, the attitudes that I experienced from police were not ideal, and when I spoke about that, I copped backlash and intimidation from police, and I felt like this moment of like, have I done the wrong thing? Now? I absolutely don't think I've done the wrong at all, and would make the same decision again.
Speaker 1: Did they ever find the guy?
Speaker 2: No? So that's an interesting story in and of itself. So that night they you know, they took the swabs and so on, and because I had blood, we didn't know if it was my blood or his blood, and there was a few things. They ended up being able to find his DNA on me, but they have never found a match in the system. Now, the interesting thing about that was it took them more than six months to actually test the DNA, and that was six months of my life where firstly I was thinking, you know, this is this guy fits the criteria of the serial rapist, wouldn't you and the level of violence involved in the fact that he was a complete stranger, you would think that they would make it a priority to test that kind of DNA. Evidently not. It wasn't until I wrote a press release and spoke to Channel seven and put pressure on the then Premier Morris Yemma to step in the back when and tested the DNA. They and again, like that begs the question of why victim survivors having to advocate for justice in their own cases, let alone systemic reform. And what happened was after I'd you know, highlighted the fact that six months had gone by and the DNA had still not been tested. The premier did step in and ask for it to be tested, and that was good for me in the sense that the squeaky wheel gets to the grease. I got my answer, but it just meant that everybody else in the queue now had to wait one extra day. Yeah, and I think that was like, that was a in some ways, that was a real learning lesson for me in terms of campaigning and advocacy of I'd made a strategic error there. I shouldn't have asked for my the DNA in my case, to be tested. I should have asked for them to resolve the entire backlog.
Speaker 1: Now you can see why you were a bit more selfish in that scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in that moment, I was, you know, I you know, I think I was twenty four by then and in deep trauma. But yeah, like I walked away from that going, huh, there's a lesson there for next time.
Speaker 1: So that's obviously why you decided to speak out and tell your story so soon after.
Speaker 2: So I spoke out five weeks after, and it was because he hadn't been apprehended, Like my goal at that point in time was to get him arrested and removed from the street so that he couldn't do this to anyone else. And that was my motivation in speaking publicly, because we know, as you know working in media, that when you attach a face and a name to a story, it gives it more prominence in the media. So that's why I did it Initially. They now have his DNA on file, they've never found a match. That's not to say that they won't now find a match given advances, particularly in genealogy, DNA.
Speaker 1: Testing and so on. Yeah, not having a day in court, not having a resolution to your own story, has that had an impact on you?
Speaker 2: Yes, But I think mainly for that first six months when I was waiting every day to get the phone call to tell me whether or not they'd found his DNA and whether or not, because for that six months I was in complete paralysis because I didn't know. Are they going to call me and say we've got his DNA and we know who he is and we're going off to a rest of the guy. You need to get ready for court, in which case I need to preserve every detail in my mind of what happened, you know, for the purposes of cross examination and so on. Or am I going to get the phone call saying you know, sorry, love, we couldn't work. You know, we didn't get any DNA. We don't know who he is, in which case I need to, you know, process that in a way, which is about trying to get to a point of acceptance and moving on with the rest of my life. And so for that six months, I was like seesawing between am I meant to be moving on with my life or am I meant to be preserving every detail and sort of mentally preparing for court? And they're two very different emotional states they are. So that was and that's why when it got to the six month mark and the DNA still hadn't been tested, I was in an absolute frenzy and was like, I just need this answer so that I can plan the rest of my life. Yeah, after I got that answer that they had male DNA but they didn't have a match, at least gave me some resolution, which meant that I could sort of park it a little bit and focus on, well, what are the things that I do have control over in my life? And obviously the nature of sexual violence is that it robs you of power and control, and so within therapy, one of the things that you know, we plotted out was well, what do I have agency in control over and how can I put my energy into those things? In a way that's become my therapy of well, you know, I'm not going to get justice in the traditional sense, you know, through the criminal justice system, but justice comes in many forms, and for some of us, telling our story is justice, or you know, working in solidarity with other survivors is a form of.
Speaker 1: Healing and justice changing the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that you were studying journalism at the time. Had you thought about where you might specialize, what you wanted to do, and how did that change after what happened to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did want to be a journalist. I hadn't thought about what area I would specialize in. Interestingly, I had actually I was very interested in human rights, and I had done some gender studies subjects at university. But it was a bit of a baptism by fire in the sense that my first experience of journalism other than as a consumer, was not me reporting the news. It was me being to the subjective news. And at the time, like back in two thousand and seven, when my story broke, there were very few public survivors, you know, like this was an era before the Me Too movement, before there was that sort of public push for survivors, or not even a public pusher, an awareness that the shame sits on the other side, and that we can tell our stories without fear or stigma.
Speaker 1: And so when I was wild that we didn't do that back then, Yeah, I mean, it's so common now for people to tell their stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's reasons for that. I mean, back then, we didn't have social media, at least not to the extent that we have now, and so there were real gatekeepers around which stories get told in media and how they get told. And the way that victim survivors stories were traditionally told was in this really paternalist stick way, which was not necessarily inspiring or empowering from the victim survivors to come forward. So I mean, and there was still, you know, as there are now many pervasive rape myths, but back then it was even worse. So when I went public, it was a really interesting experience in that I now know personally firsthand what it's like to be in the vulnerable seat, you know, on the vulnerable side of you know, the camera or the microphone and to feel like you're handing over trust to the journalist to tell your story. And at twenty three and I had, you know, very little understanding of exactly what it meant to go public as a survivor back then. So I learned the hard way, really, and I had some very positi experiences with some journalists. I had some really challenging experiences with a couple of journalists, but it taught me that there is a way to do you know, the positive experience has made me think, yeah, there is a way to do this work, and it is important work. I also noticed that a lot of the things that really harmed me at the time were not necessarily intentional on behalf of the journalist. So back back in the day, back in two thousand and seven, the Sydney Morning Herald is too and all the newspapers they would refresh at midnight. So I would be up at eleven fifty nine pressing refresh, Refresh, refresh, waiting for my story to come up about what had happened to me, And then when it's not there, I panic and I start spiraling, going, you know, has something happened did they not believe me? Is something wrong? And by the time nine am rolls around and I can call the journalist and find out the story just got held over. As you know, stories get held over all the time for all kinds of reasons. I've been up half the night having an anxiety attack. Now that's not because of a bad journalist. It's because of they weren't aware of the fact that for someone in my situation, I would be hyper anxious about that story. You know. There were other things like one journalist went to the police and asked for a copy of my police report, and I experienced that as her disbelieving me, because I thought, well, why wouldn't you just you know, I told you my story. If you wanted a copy of my police report, you could have just asked me and I would have given it to you. By you going behind my back without my knowledge to the police, that makes me feel like you don't trust my work. Now, as a journalist, I know exactly what she was doing. She was fact checking. But had she taken an extra five minutes and explained that to me that that's what she was doing, I would have experienced that quite differently. So little things like that like just you know, letting the person know that you know you need to you know what fact checking is and why we do it. Or another really big one that comes up all the time in my work now, so now I work as a journalist specifically reporting on victim survivors, is every time we make a really serious allegation, say about an institution that has maybe covered up sexual assault, as a journalist, I have an obligation to go to that institution and offer them a right of reply. Now, if you don't tell the victim survivor that and suddenly they're reading the article and they see that you've gone and quoted the institution that has harmed them, they will feel betrayed. So it's as simple as just explaining to the person, here is what a right of reply is, here is why I'm obliged to do it as part of our journalistic code of ethics. It doesn't mean that I disbelieve you or anything like that. It's just part of the process. After my story being in the news, I did graduate. I had a very very I had a wonderful honor supervisor, Professor Catherine Lumby in the Media Schools in the Union, and she realized that I was really spiraling, and so she put a lot of support in place around me to help me. Like I went part time to finish my honest thesis, and I ended up I was at risk of disengaging and dropping out of my degree, my honors degree. And I always say it was because of her support that I graduated and I got first class honors, and I got a scholarship to deal PhD. And ended up working with Catherine for quite a while as well, and doing work with some of her work with NRL football players and their attitudes towards women and consent in domestic violence and so on. So I did that for a bit, and then finally in twenty sixteen, I was like, oh, that's right. I always wanted to be a journalist. Maybe I should actually try my hand at that and see if I'd be any good at it, given that that had been the master plan since high school. You know, I was one of the editors at school newspaper. I'd always wanted to go in that direction, and I'd sort of gone off course for a bit, and then I came back and also corrected, Yeah, of course, corrected, that's right.
Speaker 1: In twenty eighteen, it's only a few years after course correcting you published the Red Zone Report, which was an investigation into sexual violence and hazing in Australian university residential colleges. What made you hone in on.
Speaker 2: University Yes, sure so, good question. So in twenty and sixteen, when I decided to become a journalist, my first project that I set for myself was I wanted to do fifty two articles in fifty two weeks on university campus sexual assault. And the reason I chose that was I had gone into working at a university and because I was a public survivor, you become a little bit of a lightning rod for disclosure when you're public, and so I'm working on a university campus. I was relatively young, you know. I became a university lecturer at twenty four and I suddenly start receiving disclosures from my students because they recognized that I would be presumably a safer person to tell. And the story I kept hearing over and over and over again was about sexual assault within the residential colleges at Sydney University, and one student in particular disclosed that she'd been sexual assaulted by Saint Paul's student. And then the next year she came back and she said, do you remember the name of that person that I mentioned? And I said yes, and she said, look at this. It was a Facebook group that he'd made called defined Statutory pro Rape Anti Consent And the picture for the Facebook group was a T shirt that says, does this shit make me look like a rapist? And all of the members of the group were Saint Paul's students.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And she made the decision that she was going to take that to the media. And when she did, her motivation was to get cultural change and to get consent education within Saint Paul's College and the residential colleges. Unfortunately, when and it went to the media, blew up on page one of the Ciney Morning Herald. But when that happened, the reaction from the colleges was not shock and horror. It was defensiveness and minimization and davo and it was pretending like they were being the victims of the big bad media. And that was you know, as back then as a tutor and as a lecturer and or junior lecturer, and I was seeing the trauma and the impacts the sexual assault was having on students. And these were very, very talented students, and you know, students that had gained an atar of I think it was like ninety eight point four five to be in the class in the first place, and then they experienced sexual assault. And I'm watching them disengage from university, drop out of their degrees, and little things that our university could have done, or that the colleges could have done, including things as simple as allowing a victim survivor to change bedroom so that they don't have to sleep in the same bedroom where the assault took place. It's not hard, and I was outraged. I mentioned before that when my own assault happened, Professor Catherine Lumby supported me and I always and because of her support, I didn't disengage from my own education. I completed my education, and so I became really outraged that that now my own students were not receiving the same support, love and compassion that I had received, and that I was watching them drop out of their education that they had fought so hard to be there. And so, you know, one of my very firm beliefs is that all people should be entitled to an education free of sexual violence. But if sexual violence has occurred, then the educational institution should do everything in their power to help support the victim, survivor and to keep them engaged in education. So when I moved into journalism, that was why that was my first project to do the fifty two articles on university campus sexual ASUL because I knew that that was like I knew it was a powder keg waiting to be ignited because.
Speaker 1: You're talking about one university, but your report was on Australian university, so you found that risk experience was pretty universal across the country. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in that year of reporting, I was reporting across all thirty nine public universities in Australia and we did a number of freedom of information requests with in partnership with Channel seven, and we found out things like, of five hundred and seventy five reported sexual misconduct defenses, only six had resulted in an expulsion, and that universities were more likely to expel people for play than rape. And in cases where there was one case at one university where a student had admitted rape and his punishment was I think it was a two hundred dollar fine and to write an apology letter and I mean the cost of a parking ticket at that university was more than two hundred dollars. There was, you know, there were other things that we found a number of the universities refused to comply with the freedom of information requests for their data around how many sexual misconduct complaints they were receiving. And so Alison Sandy from Channel seven and I decided that we would FOI the non compliant. We would FI the police for police reports are sexual assault at these street addresses. And then we listed the street addresses of the non compliant universities and we got five hundred pages of police reports back from that, and so my job was to go through these five hundred pages into catalog. And so I knew that there was so much going on here, and I'd done all these news reports and then what had happened was because of a bunch of student activism and the reporting in twenty sixteen that had highlighted a number of the hazing and sexual assault problems at Sydney University. Sydney University Colleges commissioned a woman called Elizabeth Broderick to do a review, a million dollar review of their culture. Now that came out in twenty seventeen, and when I read the report, I was I mean, I have a lot of respect for Liz in general, but I do not have respect for that report. It was so watered down and diluted and whitewashed, and we now know why. We know that the colleges had a lot of control over the final product. I was so outraged, as was a colleague of mind, Shanna Bremner, that we just thought, well, we're sitting on this mine field of data here, because we've got so much stuff through freedom of information, through student accounts, through photographs, through screenshots of Facebook groups, why don't we just pull it all together into a two hundred page report. Which is what we did and what made it different from every other report that had come out before then, because the Human Rights Comission had also done a report into the universities. Was we named names. We named the universities, we weren't afraid to we named the colleges. We weren't afraid to include photographs of the hazing rituals. We weren't afraid to detail the hazing rituals, and we just we produced receipts. That's what made it different. We didn't de identify unless you know a victim survivor wanted something to identified. But we also had a number of victim survivors speak out publicly in that report. And so that Red Zone Report, and the reason we call it the Red Zone report is OH week Orientation Week is known as the red Zone. It's the one week of the year where the most sexual assaults are likely to happen. I think it's about from memory, it was about twelve percent of all sexual assaults on campus will happen in that one week.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's known as the red Zone. And we know that sexual assault services receive a spike in phone calls immediately following OH Week and during OH.
Speaker 1: Week And is that from the hazing that you mentioned.
Speaker 2: And sexual assault? So the hazing that we found around the whole country within the colleges was really disturbing. So, I mean there was a lot of stuff up at University of Newcastle. You know, we got footage of a lot of stuff. So things like young men being forced to kneel down, having their heads shaved and then having a man put his penis, an older man standing up putting his penis into into the guy's young guy's mouth, and pouring beer down the penis into the mouth. That was a penis drinking ritual. We got footage of that happening a number of times. We got footage of students being required to drink vomit. We got footage of kids crawling around on their hands and knees, eating out of dog bowls like it was, you know, and obviously a lot of very heavy drinking like it was. Yeah, really just very disturbing stuff.
Speaker 1: So when you put this report public, how did the universities react because you named a lot in there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did so, Red Zone Report.
Speaker 1: Look it up, Yeah, go for some like reading.
Speaker 2: It was interesting in the sense that so prior to that, when I'd been doing the articles, the news articles, I had received more defamation threats in that year than I have ever received cumulative since. Yeah, And it was incredibly intimidating because you know, universities, of their multimillion dollar businesses, it's an industry they have, they are very vested in protecting their reputations, and so when you start exposing problems at a university, they will hit back, and they will hit back hard. And as an example, you know, I'd done this story about James Cook University, where a staff member called Douglas Steele had been accused of raping an unconscious Indigenous student. Now he was charged with rape, and when he was charged with rape, the university did not stand him down. He was promoted as a white man and made academic advisor to Indigenous students WHOA. And so I ended up writing an opinion piece where I compared their strategies of firstly, deny it, lie, cover up, threaten to the strategies used by the offender himself Douglas still following the assault, which were very similar and those sort of strategies used by offenders like to deny, minimize, reframe responsibility, et cetera. And I ended up concluding that the university has a mentality of a rapist. And in my opinion piece, now they were.
Speaker 1: Definitely doubled down.
Speaker 2: So because of doubling down, other media then piled in as well, I'm in.
Speaker 1: Shock, like I'm actually in shock in that story.
Speaker 2: So that ended up resulting in a million dollar review of James Cook University and are a million dollar inquiry into James Cook University and the entire culture of James Cork University. So not just that one incident, but the whole culture. So that was you know, and for me again, like I reflect back on my career about like what were the learning moments, that was another learning moment of In that moment, of course, I was nervous about doubling down. I remember being in my house and actually like shaking at one point, I can imagine, But it was one hundred percent the right decision, and I'm really glad that I had that editorial support to double down in that moment because it produced an outcome that led to an inquiry. And the thing that was interesting about when I did the Red Zone report was I knew that there was going to be backlash, and I knew it was going to come not just from the colleges but also that some of the students. But I also knew that there would be students living in the colleges who were suffering who would feel seen and heard and supported because of the report and the media reporting. When that report came out, it got international coverage like the New York Times BB so everybody picked it up. It was sort of a watershed moment. And while some of the universities that the spotlight was on retaliated, a lot of the ones that were maybe not necessarily the focus of the report actually saw the writing on the wall and read the tea leaves and went shivers. We actually now need to really do something about this on our own campuses. So it actually did produce change, but not where I expected the change. It was actually the ones who are under the spotlight became defensive, and it's called siege mentality, where they sort of bunker down, they declare themselves the victim of the media. If anything, for a period of time, the culture might even become even worse because they become so hyper defensive. But it's actually the other universities and the other colleges around the country that were looking at this going I don't want that to be me exactly exactly, And that's actually where we saw the change.
Speaker 1: Universities where it was the worst. Do you think it's improved? There has have university O weeks improved.
Speaker 2: Look, I think they have to a degree, But I actually don't necessarily think, Yeah, I would love to take some credit, but I actually don't think it was anything to do with me. I actually think that there was a series of things that have happened, one of which was actually COVID. I think COVID was a circuit breaker in because a lot of these traditions are handed down, and when you have a circuit breakerlike COVID where people aren't on campus for quite a long time, that was actually a massive interrupter in terms of that transition of really toxic cultural true.
Speaker 1: Where do you get the traditions from when there's no one to hand it down exactly?
Speaker 2: And look, there's other things that have gone on. I mentioned a woman, Shanna Brevna before. Shanna and a number of her colleagues have worked really really hard to introduce for the very first time, a national student ombudsman. There's actually been legislative change at the federal level to hold universities and colleges more accountable. And there's been a huge amount of student activism as well as things like the Mecho movement, which has normalized speaking about these sorts of things. So I think when you look at all of those factors coming together simultaneously, that's actually produced at least a start of a cultural shift. That doesn't mean that there aren't significant problems still there that need to be ironed out, but I do think that there has been an interesting shift.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to part one of my conversation with Nina Fanell. To listen to part two, head to the link in our show notes