Speaker 1: You're listening to a mother and mea podcast. Hello, Unleashes, it's me a Freedman here, also known in this context as producer Mea. I know that you're obsessed with Kath Mahoney. Honestly I am as well.
Speaker 2: Isn't she like human sunshine?
Speaker 1: And I know that you love her because you're all up in our dms like I want to know more about kaf and about all the hosts, which is fair because they're pretty remarkable women. So I found this conversation that I had with Kath and I thought, you immediately need to hear it. You're gonna love it because what you might not know about this woman is the following. Before she was on Unleashed making us laugh about VADG, waxes and dating. She sat across from me when I hosted No Filter and told me one of the most honest, funny and genuinely gutting stories that I'd heard in years. She was married, as many of you know, to one of the most famous sportsmen in Australia, a big, well known footy player, and so when that marriage ended, as it did quite a few years ago, she wasn't just dealing with divorce and being a single mum, she was dealing with public scrutiny and that feeling of hang on, who am I now, which I think is really familiar to women who've been through divorce, even if their ex is not a famous Australian. I promise you though, this isn't a conversation about her ex husband. We are not doing that. It's about calf And if you love her on unleashed, which I know you do, you're gonna love getting to know her a little bit better one on one. So from deep in the Mamma Mera archives comes this classic episode of no filter.
Speaker 2: Here she is.
Speaker 1: The day that you strap yourself into the most expensive dress that you've ever owned and walk down the aisle to look lovingly into the eyes of your about to be spouse. Divorce is generally not top of mind, but a few years later there's every chance that it will be, because more marriages end than don't.
Speaker 2: And when a marriage does end, even.
Speaker 1: Though we've mostly left behind divorced stigma, thank god, the after maath, even if it's damicable, can rock every aspect of.
Speaker 3: Your world and your identity. You're crying for the loss of identity. You're crying for the family unit. You're crying for that, you know, dancing off into the sunset. After fifty years married. A lot changes in that first for me it was eighteen months, might be twelve months, might be two years, might be however long.
Speaker 2: For whoever else is going through it.
Speaker 3: But for me, you know, my family home changed, my location changed, my job changed, my title changed. I was very much someone's wife. I wasn't anymore. I was suddenly.
Speaker 2: Aware that I was, like, who the fuck was I? I'd been somebody's partner for thirteen years.
Speaker 1: My name is Mia Friedman and you're listening to No Filter. Catherine Mahoney is an oversharer, which is my favorite brand of guest on No Filter. She used to work in music pr before she accidentally fell in love with NRL legend Andrew Johns. You might have heard of him, and they've spent thirteen years married. But when their relationship fell apart very publicly and very messily, Catherine found herself in a very different life season to the one she expected.
Speaker 2: To be in in her forties.
Speaker 1: It's one that she calls currently between husbands, which also happens to be the title of the memoir that she wrote this conversation with Kath is loose and it's hilarious. And if you're heading into the new year suddenly single, or thinking that maybe perhaps you might be single by the end of this year, or maybe you just know someone who is suddenly single, or maybe you just need a laugh, this is the perfect episode for you.
Speaker 3: Kav.
Speaker 1: What does rock Bottom look like after a divorce?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: There were many, I think, but the book version is, yeah, happened to lax.
Speaker 2: As you know, we're in LA for work.
Speaker 3: You know, the marriage has ended, maybe two months prior to that, I've been on a working trip, but anyone knows, you know, when you're a parent and you leave your child and you're on a working trip, you can also enjoy a working trip because you're not parent.
Speaker 2: And lou was only five back then.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those moments where I was pretending that I wasn't about to come back to Australia and have a divorce. And as we're packing up, when we get into the uber and email pings from my divorce lawyer, and I think anyone that's listening who's gone through this, and certainly people who've read the book who've reached out resonated with this moment when your marriage ends and you have to start dealing with divorce lawyers and their terminology.
Speaker 2: It is like being winded. You feel like you're being punched.
Speaker 1: What kind of words like, what sort of things do you have to read?
Speaker 3: It's not you and your partner anymore. It's other people talking on behalf of you, and none of it centers around what you previously had as a couple or the fact that you're still parents. It is all coming down to the nitty gritty, and.
Speaker 1: It must feel very weird and exposing having strangers talking to each other in legal terms about something as personal and private and precious once as your marriage.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's they're just picking the bones out of it, I think, And you know I was. I was very lucky.
Speaker 3: I had a fabulous female lawyer and she was very fair. But there are moments, certainly when you're in a room with others and lawyers are talking about your life and you're part in the relationship where you just go got my rose quarts in my hand to bring in the love, but now I just maybe want to throw it at your head. You know, you kind of have those moments and it's all surreal. It's all very surreal in those first few months. But yeah, going back to getting into that uber, had the first horrendous exchange, decided to have a bit of vodka in the forty five minute trip to Lax, And it's somewhere in that sort of moment I decided, instead of having the value and I was going to have on the plane because I'm a nervous flyer, I sort of knocked about with a bit of vodka and then we got to Lax And that's sort of as much as I remember till the.
Speaker 2: Next day when you woke up.
Speaker 3: We're in a hotel, not on the flight, and I was in quantus pajamas that I hadn't put on, so there'd been a bit of a blackout situation. I did manage to get through the security being pushed in the wheelchair.
Speaker 1: Who explained what had happened in that blackout gap and what did they tell you?
Speaker 3: Two friends, two colleagues while who were like friends and family, and yeah, they just said, you just went floppy, and we just sort of, you know, commandeered a wheelchair, put the sunglasses on and hope for the best to get you through security. And anyone who's been to an American airport.
Speaker 2: They're pretty scary. I don't like a bed the best of time, so I'm amazed I got through.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I got as far as the lounge and wasn't very unwell in the bathroom. Not my finest moment, sorry, quantas, and was deemed unfit to get on the flight.
Speaker 1: And your friends had to undress you, put you in the show and wash the vomit out of your hair.
Speaker 2: Yes, not my finest moment, not.
Speaker 3: My butens good friends, and what a great way to start the movie version of the book.
Speaker 2: It's so true. It's a good scene, isn't It's a good scene.
Speaker 3: And since the book's been out, I've had quite a few ladies reach out who've had similar not at lax, but similar, you know, maybe more more alcohol and food scenarios that have happened and hit them like a ton of bricks, sort of going through the early stages of the separation too.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not my finest moment.
Speaker 1: When you tell people that your marriage is over and that you're getting a divorce, the first thing they say is why, what happened? What went wrong? What answer did you develop that you could wheel out in all those conversations.
Speaker 3: Look, I think our relationship had been we'd had a couple of trial separations in the lead up, and I think those close could see where we were going, and there was no big drama towards the end.
Speaker 2: I think it was just a case.
Speaker 3: Of we've really given this a good go for thirteen years and there is no point now where I, like, you know, wake at night. I can't speak for my X husband, but there's no point where I think we didn't try.
Speaker 2: You know, I think one of maybe.
Speaker 3: The first sort of one or two separations, you go, there's still something, it's not over.
Speaker 2: We've got a child together, we can do this.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: You go back, Yeah, you go back, and I think we had just grown apart and it was ripping the band aid off because you do have that Is this as good as it gets? Is this just life? Or is there more to life? And you know, should we call it so?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But it's absolutely never easy telling someone that your marriage has ended. It's not a high five moment.
Speaker 1: People often project onto you their own situation. So part of why they ask you why this is people that don't know you very well, is to just go wait, why, like should mine end. What does this mean for me? It must test Yeah, yeah, what actually was it? And if it's not there was another person, there was a betrayal. It's harder to explain, isn't it. Particularly when there's a young child involved.
Speaker 2: It's really hard.
Speaker 3: And also I was really mindful, I think, because we'd had a couple of splits and I had the initial shock of thinking shared friends were shared friends, and then when it ended, going oh, you've gone to that side of the room.
Speaker 2: I'm at the other end of the room.
Speaker 3: So I think I'd had that experience of knowing some of those things were ahead when we finally ended, And so I just really brought like my gang in close and tight and just sort of, you know, as cheesy as it sounded, you know, I surrounded myself with bright, shiny people who were just going to make getting out of bed in the morning easier.
Speaker 2: And I call it ghouls, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Sort of people that suddenly reach out on Facebook. You I haven't seen you for ages, but suddenly you're reaching out and concerned and you just want the story. And I don't want to have to give it energy or relive it for you to go. Oh, you know, so and I say that in the book keep your network tight, especially in those.
Speaker 2: Early days, because you're all over the shop or I was. Anyway, it's like being and I've been warned, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes today, and they're like, oh, I just heard, You're right, you know what. Actually I was, it's like when someone like my mum yesterday goes you look tired, you go suddenly feel tired, sort of stay away from that. So yeah, that's it was more the moments that I wasn't expecting to feel upset about saying the marriage was over, like being in medicare having to change my card I Bursted tears with a woman, or having to go to school and say, oh, can we have two reports now? And if this can come to this address and when it's school, you know, kind of meeting teacher time, can we have two instead of what that stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just crushing.
Speaker 1: Because that's in situations where it's not personal friends or whatever.
Speaker 2: And then do you get that.
Speaker 1: Sort of head tilt Yeah, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And you're like, you know, even we were saying off, Mike, I've got a lady procedure tomorrow and I'm filling out like you know the thesis for like the hospital and they want to know my status and I'm married, divorce single.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why is that even a box? How is that relevant? Yeah? Divorced? Why is divorced a box?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: So for me when I there was a couple of names for the book, but currently between husbands is I'm a pretty positive person. And when people say to me, are you married? I don't like the word divorced, So I go, I'm currently between husbands and that's my stick, that's.
Speaker 2: My half glass fault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, rather than you I'm divorced because it sounds like I failed, and you know what I didn't. You know, I had a thirteen year effort with someone I loved for most of that thirteen years, and we've got a great son, So I don't see that as failing.
Speaker 1: When you talk about how you felt in that time after your rock bottom in Lax and the couple of months leading up to that and the year really afterwards, there's a lot of crying. There's a lot of crying in the shower. You have a small child, so you find places to cry quietly. Someone who has maybe not been through that before might think, well, you're not in love with him anymore. You know that the marriage ending is the right thing. What are you crying about? I think for me, you're crying for the loss of identity. You're crying for the family unit.
Speaker 3: You're crying for that, you know, dancing off into the sunset. After fifty years married, A lot changes in that first For me, it was eighteen months, might be twelve months, might be two years, might be however long.
Speaker 2: For whoever else is going through it.
Speaker 3: But for me, you know, my family home changed, my location changed, my job changed, my title changed. I was very much someone's wife. I wasn't anymore. I was suddenly aware that I was, like, who the fuck was I? I'd been somebody's partner for thirteen years, you know, and even going to the park because Lewis was five.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy I don't have to go to the park anymore.
Speaker 3: But in those times where you were like, all right, I've got Saturday to Phil, I'll do an hour in the park, you know, like you bang, bang bang, I'm going to fill it out. And you'd be pushing him on the swings and some guy be talking, pushing his sunny. Suddenly the wife comes over with the coffees and looks at you spots you've got no ring and You're like, I'm not running on your husband.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to fill two hours.
Speaker 3: But you know, those are the things where I suddenly felt really exposed. And I never cared about my rings, you know, really wasn't someone who was all about the wedding rings and then taking them off. And I don't know, there was things like that that I was not expecting. So they're the moments that you cry. They're the moments that you just go, I just didn't expect to be here. I've just turned forty. This was not how I saw my movie ending, you know, so I think I think the tears come at at different times for different people.
Speaker 1: How did you know it wasn't just another separation if it had been on again, off again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did you know? Oh this is really it?
Speaker 3: I think when you start to move out, when you start to just you know, like those signs. I love those signs on the Australian Freeway, wrong way, go back in case you're turning, No, don't turn that way, that's the wrong way. And I kept having moments of those, No, that is done. I'm really bad at letting go of love and people. So for me, I found that hard, but you do. You just have to let go and know that it's ran its course and you take the rose colored glasses off. And I look at the last sa twelve months of our relationship, and we were starting to be ships in the night. He liked to surf, so he'd do a surfing holiday. I'd do a holiday with the girls or a retreat. You know, he would be working nights. I would be doing this. Suddenly, are you sleep in the spare room because you're going to be home late from that game? And you know, suddenly you're you know, it's that sitting down at the dinner table, isn't it? And going I mean I could talk underwater, I talk the hind legs of a donkey, and I don't really know what we're going to talk about. You know, they're the moments where you go, No, seven years down the track, there's much more clarity about it really was time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was how it was for me.
Speaker 1: How did you find only being with your son for part of the time, Like, how did you navigate custody?
Speaker 2: Did you do shared?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one thing we never had a problem with For the first a year at least we were in the same kind of suburb. I moved slightly, you know, to the next suburb on the northern Beaches. We were always right from the start, fifty to fifty. Andrew's a fabulous dad. You know, our relationship didn't work, not his relationship as a father or mine as a mother. So I think for us it was quite easy for it to be black and white and fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: But no one goes into having a child thinking I'll be with my child fifty percent of the time. So tell me about that adjustment.
Speaker 3: Just for you, for me, And I know you know her too, just in Culor. She gave me the greatest piece of advice early on. She's not being divorced, but she'd been separated from a you know, the father of two of her children. And she said to me once when I was probably crying into a glass of wine. When Lewis leaves your care, remember you have no control over what he hears, what he sees, what he eats, what time he goes to bed, who he's around.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: But you know, apart from you, he's with the other person in the world that loves him as much as you do. And I just even say it out loud and I go, oh, to wait off your shelters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can't.
Speaker 1: I can't control any of that and that idea that people have that we have to be consistent. So everything that I do and all the rules I have, you have to have the same ones.
Speaker 2: But that's not necessarily the case. It's not right or wrong.
Speaker 3: And you know, I might want him in bed at eight and he might be up till nine with you and your your family might be down and they're up late. And also it's none of my business. You know, you're not taking to the cross, you're not shooting up drugs. You know, you'd kind of if you're giving him sugar, well, that's on your watch because he'll be up in the middle of the night waking you up.
Speaker 2: But that was a game changer for me.
Speaker 3: What I found probably harder was not my time with Lewis, but my time without him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because you just go, oh, is not here, Oh, it's not here, Like I'm a mother without a child.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, And that there's a flip side.
Speaker 3: You can stay up later and you can you know, you can have a tin of tuna out of the can for your dinner if that's all you want, and not have to concern yourself with bedtimes and reading and all that stuff. But it can be a really lonely time because not only are you trying to navigate the new you that you've not got this wing person.
Speaker 2: Or people if you've got, you know, multiple children that.
Speaker 3: Can bring you joy or give you that hug or stop you from crying because you've got to be on you know, you've got a five year old.
Speaker 1: So I found the identity thing quite hard. It's like, I'm a mother whose child is not with me now and it's a different feeling to when they're at daycare or when they're at school.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I found the.
Speaker 1: Gear change of it, yeah, to be really challenging, certainly at first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it gets get used to it, you know, you totally do.
Speaker 3: And Lewis is now at thirteen and he's got his phone and oh, you're meant to be with me tonight, but you want to do that with da cool, no problem, I'll just put you know, dinner back in the freeze or whatever it is. And you do navigate it in an easier way. But it's really tough in the start.
Speaker 2: Did you want to have more kids? I'm not majorly maternal. I always used to laugh.
Speaker 3: With people say do you like kids? I'd be like, yeah, I couldn't it the whole one.
Speaker 2: I like children. I sound it such a cow. I like children.
Speaker 3: Once there's that communication, so from like once we're at school and you can have a bit of a chat and you can negotiate. And now Lewis, I'm like, look, can we just start recording our car chats?
Speaker 2: I think it's a podcast. You're really funny. And he's like, do you term them?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And now he's like, my mate, you know, you'll know that your children are older. But yeah, it's a whole gear change, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think, when did you start thinking about having sex after your divorce? Leading up to it, did you straight away go well, on the upside.
Speaker 2: You're ready when you're ready.
Speaker 3: At first, I thought I can't even imagine kissing someone else, you know. And I was probably about eight months in and Andrew had moved on with somebody, you know, and that's his side of the street.
Speaker 2: And about eight.
Speaker 3: Months in I just saw, you know, I started sort of hitting the apps. And my mistake was I think I was looking for the one, which is probably not the right. Yes, yes, someone to break, yeah, actually any degrease and oil change. And so once a few friends suggested that that's what I needed, and I was like, right, okay, go into this a bit more like a chap.
Speaker 2: What am I going to do? Make you swipe or look in a different way.
Speaker 3: Totally, because for anyone that's not been on the apps, what you find pretty early on is, oh, what are you here for? When the guy asked you that, and you sort of realized that there's you know, there's a long term, there's a cash all as a one light stand. Everyone's polyamorous at the moment. Now on the apps, I'm like, once I googled it, we.
Speaker 2: So you hadn't been on the apps before, you'd been married.
Speaker 3: For forever, like twenty seven we met, so I mean, gosh, I think we were on landlines when we met.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: How long ago?
Speaker 1: So you were you were dropped into a completely new world.
Speaker 2: How did you take those first steps?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Badly?
Speaker 1: Did you have a wingman to help you?
Speaker 2: A wee woman?
Speaker 3: Because everybody was still coupled up or happily married. So I was like, I don't know what to do here, and you know I'm a crazy oversharer, but I was also very mindful seven years ago that it would have been potentially a.
Speaker 1: Column for a gossip columnist, because what we haven't even mentioned is the complicating factor was that your ex husband was a famous sports star.
Speaker 2: He was a footballer, he was.
Speaker 1: Iconic nine around Australia Andrew johnes.
Speaker 2: Yeap from Page when He's Got a Cold.
Speaker 3: And also he partnered with Daniel Craig's ex fiance that was his first relationship afterwards, so I also had the joy of, like the Telegraph and the Daily Mail picking photos of my wedding, where as my friend said, did you not invite your eyebrows to your wedding?
Speaker 2: And I was like no, I overplucked.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and seven, so there was that photo with Daniel Craig and his then partner the Oscars.
Speaker 2: So of course that's unfair, so unfairs, so unfair.
Speaker 3: So I'm there in my head going, oh my god, if if I'm on the Apps and that's a column story, you know, Joey off with you know, double O, sevens X and money on the Apps. Because back then there was more of a it wasn't frowned on, but it was.
Speaker 1: More exposing and it felt a bit desperate.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it felt a bit you know, dirty sort of thing or were you just on that for sex?
Speaker 1: Particularly for the younger generation never thought that. But for those of us who didn't grow up with the apps and meeting people on the apps, there was a bit of a snobbery about them. Really, wasn't there a bit of a slut shaming andes about them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and especially some of the guys I swiped early on and you know, enforced that. You were like, yeah, I don't I don't want it on my face or my breast, but thanks very much. And Matt, so I started off with like one photo had my name and my age and that was it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And as someone who's like, I'm quite funny, I might do some funny stuff.
Speaker 2: I was just like really straight.
Speaker 1: And did you have to choose things like did you have to put a filter on the type of guy that you wanted, like an age or what did you have to do?
Speaker 2: You had to do age and location? How did you choose age? Oh? What was I back then?
Speaker 3: I was forty So I think I went thirty seven to forty seven.
Speaker 1: See a lot of my friends who became single at around that time, much younger guys.
Speaker 2: Well that was my next effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but first of all, I'm looking for my next husband, so I'm like, just mister Darcy's just one swipe away. Sadly, on the Northern Beaches where I lived at the time, everyone is either happily married or let's say married that might be, that might not be happily or they're like seventeen in a trade. So I wasn't prepared to break up a marriage or bang a seventeen year old. So I had to go further out with my casting. My net had to go back. I think I went maybe twenty k from where I was and just a mixed bag of lollies really, And I think after some disastrous chats back and forth with people, that's when why.
Speaker 2: Were disasterus in what way?
Speaker 3: Well, just one of the first guys I matched with then went on to tell me he's just written a book about tinder. So I was like unmatched because I don't want to be calm fodder at this point, so I'm like, this is not good. And then you would just have the ones that would just start off with the nice comments and then you know, half an hour in that they want to strangle you with your stockings. That you don't wear stockings. I'm like you in the nineteen thirties, you with the stockings, and are you up for that?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not, thanks very much, swipe. So there were all sorts.
Speaker 3: But yes, I did as your friends did when I was ready, and I realized I just needed a little bit of a little bit of action, no strings attached.
Speaker 2: I went a bit younger, bingo. Then you're fishing where the fish are in what way?
Speaker 3: Well, because your son, you're approaching that kind of I suppose, you know, early thirties market with I've just come out of a marriage. I really would just like a special grown up cuddle, no strings attached.
Speaker 2: Suddenly it was like, see of yes.
Speaker 1: Is don't want to have your babies, don't want to marry you, don't even.
Speaker 3: Want to know your second name, Thank you very much. If you can just be really clean and smell nice, we'll be fine.
Speaker 2: So yes, And what was that like?
Speaker 3: What was the first time, Oh gosh, well, I went to see someone who you know, Amanda Goff, who was really very much an old friend and was still in her Samantha.
Speaker 2: She's a very high profile escort.
Speaker 3: Yes she was when you say you went to see her, because remember I've cast my net yep, so I've cast my net as far as Bondi and I'm living in the Northern Beaches. I'm a solo parent, so I don't really want to spend like one hundred dollars on my uber back after my special cuddle. So I've checked in with Amanda. She's kid free that week, and she's like, why don't you come and stay here? So I go there first for my cup of tea and some Dutch courage. She shoves like the thirty condoms in my bags. Listen, I think if we use one, not like if we get as far as one, I'll be happy.
Speaker 2: And yes, it was very mechanical. You know.
Speaker 3: He did look like Tom Hardy if you squinted after three vodkas, and he did fair play was English, and I said, gosh, you reminds of someone and he said, oh, he said, everyone says I look that bloat from peaky blinders. And I was like, you mean Tom Hardy, you do.
Speaker 2: I'm closing my eye.
Speaker 3: You do look like Tom Hardy, this is only fine, and it just it felt like I was back at Uni.
Speaker 2: Like he lived in a shared house.
Speaker 3: I had to walk through the lounge with his two flatmates watching English soccer.
Speaker 2: How old was he? He was thirty two and still in a shed. Not judging.
Speaker 3: You looked like Tom Hardy. He had the only on sweet So I was like, well, this is good. If I need the toilet, I'd have to walk through the table tennis table that set up in the lounge, step over the bean bags and the.
Speaker 2: Food toys Sea boys. You had the food, So yeah, it did serve its purpose.
Speaker 1: After the break, I asked Kath what it's like having sex with someone new after having a child. I want to ask you about having sex with someone for the first time after having a baby, because you have in most cases, you have a baby and the person you then have sex with ye after that is the person who loves you. He's watched your beautiful body change, who's maybe seen a baby come out of that special place, and he's just excited to be allowed re entry into it. But then sleeping with someone who's perhaps never had sex with a mother before.
Speaker 2: How did you feel? Oh, like all sorts go through your head.
Speaker 3: I remember at the time, and I do say this to ladies listening, don't take that six months after your marriage break up. Don't take that as your natural weight sort of state. So for me, I was not eating as much as I used to, big eater. I go to bed thinking about what I'm going to eat the next day. So I wasn't eating much. I was probably drinking more than I should, and I was full of anxiety and nervous energy. So suddenly I'm like the lightest I've ever been, which was great. Stress stressed, you're not feeling happy. But I remember buying a few things at the time, and then six months after trying to get into them, going I'd have to take a rib out to get into these jeans.
Speaker 2: What was I thinking?
Speaker 3: But at the time, for first grease and old change, the tom hardy guy you squinted, I felt pretty good, and I bought myself some new underwear. A friend had said, do you know what, out with the old in within, you get yourself some new underwear. Feel sexy. But however, you know, trim my war was like, my stomach's are a lot like the Himalayas. Like I've just I've just never had a flat to me, and certainly not.
Speaker 2: Since we're not genetically progund.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm now I'm sat here holding it in now that we're talking about it. But yeah, I was quite happy to go on the bottom when we had our special cuddle.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say to go in the bottom, and I'm like, well not, geez.
Speaker 2: No with no, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Like I joke about it, but like you cannot when you're dealing with your first Willie that you know, like I had the same Willy for thirteen years, when you're dealing with your first Willie, I couldn't even look at it in the eye, no pun intended.
Speaker 2: Like you just like, okay, right, that's different. Yeah, I don't know what to do with that. Oh my gosh. So yeah, it's a what.
Speaker 3: About a hair removal and the tuft, the tuft, my tuft.
Speaker 1: I want you to tell the story of the tuft.
Speaker 3: Oh, I tell you what, if I ever have sex after this book has come out again, it'll be a miracle. So the tough situation, and this is when I know I have the best friends going. You know, suddenly you go from being a joint income house to a single income house, and I was working part time at the time and we separated, and so getting my nails done, facials just kind of all those extra added, you know, kind of lovely things.
Speaker 2: That I could afford. I had to sort of.
Speaker 3: Stop, and so my laser for my front and back bottom stopped, which was fine for the front bottom because with a razor you can do best you can kind of keep no eyes, you know, it's I've always nearly lost lip doing that. But yes, but I wasn't game to go around the back.
Speaker 1: So when we're in a seed, some kind of review mirrors.
Speaker 2: Also there's cutting. I'm in a shower, I was, I was in a rental.
Speaker 3: It did another bath. I just didn't want to cut myself. Put your shoulder out. Oh my gosh, I start me trying to shave my legs today for you. I put my hip out. But it was like, how can I describe it? I had created my own mullet, should we say? It was but like your barista's beard, those kind of hipsters around the back. And I was fine because nobody was seeing it because this is a point where no one's seen it. You know, we're back in La before the Lax story. We're out and about and we come back in and the girls are all trying to tell me that the lady who's staying in my house, Daniel CRAIGSX, might be more than a friend.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, no, no, no. I said, she's just just a friend in a high pitched voice and I'm like no.
Speaker 3: They're like, maybe you just need to get a good snog, a good passion, and I'm like, yeah, good idea.
Speaker 2: And we were going out.
Speaker 3: It's one of the last nights we're in LA, and the Awards season was on, so it's busy and crazy, and I sort of explained about the lady beard around the back, you know, I said it's gone a bit tofty, and they were like what, And I said, we can sort of twisted a bit in the shower, not into a full dreadlock, but twisty. One of my friends, Mim Godlover. She marched me in with the other four girls. We'd had a couple of cotails at this point into the shed bathroom and she just basically teld me to spread them and she shaved it. She went in full throttle, did what had to be done. It was like friar tuck, and not in a good way. Not that Friar Tuck is ever anything you aspired to in your batter, but yes, and so she detufted me.
Speaker 2: Friendship I know, isn't it? Yeah it is. Would you do that for a friend? Of course?
Speaker 1: Of course, like you know, if they had a stuck tampon, you'd go in there and oh.
Speaker 2: Straight away look for it.
Speaker 3: That is a good friend. Yeah, that is a good friend. But I'm tough free at the moment. I'm currently between tufts.
Speaker 1: The process of being on the app? Tell me about people wanting to be polyamorous? Is that just I think that's a new way of saying routing around.
Speaker 3: Yes, well my wife's fine with it, Like is she really really?
Speaker 2: Is she so polyamorous? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It just seems to be a really posh word for I'm in a relationship, but I'm having extras, which I don't know. Maybe it's a thing these days for the kids, but it's not for me.
Speaker 1: It's been a while, now, how have you refined your app game?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I was in a relationship for about four years that ended last year, and then we were in lockdown and then I was writing the book, and then I was really mindful that as I was out talking about the book, like today, I didn't want to think, Oh, how's Dave going to feel if he listens to blow job chatter? You know, well, how is he going to feel if I sort of tell that story about some other guy that's not him? So I've been single, but I have got back into the world of apps in the last kind of six weeks, hence all of the polyamorous behavior.
Speaker 2: So that's a new thing that you see. But I've seen my app game is terrible.
Speaker 3: I feel like I just can't even convert to a date at the moment, so I am I'm going to need to step it up. I do get a bit of date phobia too, Like I love a chat, you know when you connect with somebody and you have that chat and then they're like, right, do you want to meet?
Speaker 2: And I do sort of feel a bit like vomit in my mouth?
Speaker 1: Do you have like a Okay, we'll meet at this bar, we'll meet at this time, Like, what's your advice for people who might be getting back out there?
Speaker 3: Well, at Christmas, I did meet a hot American who was in town briefly and we just had a big old snog because he was going to Melbourne and then he was coming back, and then it was you know, time when borders were closed and he went. So I never got my weekend of watching Love actually and having a special cuddle with the hot American. But his advice to me, and I thought it was gold, was coffee or a drink. Don't commit for anything more than that kind of half an hour hour situation on these dates. Because I was saying to him, talking to him like I guess like a boy mate, because I knew he was in and out of the country pretty quickly, and that was his advice.
Speaker 2: You know, don't do it.
Speaker 3: An your local, don't do it anywhere well you know people and it's going to be super awkward. But yeah, his advice was a drink or a coffee, don't commit. I did end up once on a dinner with a guy that on arrival I knew wasn't my kind of chap and we had to do starters, nines, desserts. He wanted a coffee. I was like, oh my god, shoot me now. So yeah, that's a long time. That's a long time, and.
Speaker 1: Does it sort of make everything easier or harder to be upfront, like, is it just like thanks for the entree, dinner, dessert, coffee, not really feeling it. Have you had to become good at ghosting?
Speaker 2: Have you, Berien Gristing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty upfront.
Speaker 3: Someone swiped on me the other day and I swiped and then I saw like I read his bio and one of his things was he liked this sissy didn't want that, but he had to have a woman that could cook, and I just went well unmatched. I could lie for a while and tell you that I was a good cook. The name of the book originally was actually I Don't like Cricket and Blowjobs, which the publisher was on board with until I think we all had that moment of.
Speaker 2: Could you really see it? In target that's going to be Yeah, there might be a couple of.
Speaker 3: Compliances in b W also, a lot of women like cricket, so I had to rethink it.
Speaker 2: But the whole premise of that is.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, I was a real relationship chameleon.
Speaker 2: I'm my god.
Speaker 3: You love goth music, me too. You like skydiving, me too. You're into ancient history, googling ancient meat too, you know, as a real me too, like just kind of I'm going to leave everything that I am to become what you want, and that's going to be great, you know.
Speaker 2: Hence blowjobs, I love them. You'll get one three times a week, you know.
Speaker 3: Four months in it's like birthdays and Christmas, because otherwise you're going to end up with chiropractor with a sore jaw.
Speaker 2: So actually, if you don't really know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Like me and so I think as I've got older, I have embraced that, what do I want?
Speaker 2: What don't I want? Why don't you want? Kath? I don't want rock and roll anymore?
Speaker 1: You know, I had a lot of rock and roll a music publicist. You were like hard, like glamorous rock and roll. You were j Lo.
Speaker 2: Beyond, you know, Pearl Jam, all of them.
Speaker 1: And what did you do with those people? What was your role and what was your experience?
Speaker 3: I loved that was like my dream dream job. Like music, I cannot I cannot go a day without listening to music.
Speaker 2: But what does a music publicist do in that situation?
Speaker 3: Well, you just have to be in charge of everything, and you just have to be one step ahead of whatever that person is. And I was at Sony Music and so we did have all the big megastars and you just had to be you know, you were taking them for the radio interviews for TV when they came to Australia, when they came to Australia, You're pushing their album. You were taking them out to the cross if they wanted to go to a strip club. You know, you were doing all of that. But you had to make sure that you were obviously in control. You were so but you know you had to be. Yeah, you just had to be one step ahead. But I loved it. You know, we got paid bugger all. I used to pay my hairdresser in CDs. I mean remember CDs. No, No, it was amazing, you know, and so for me as someone who loves music and can't sing, it was like the best thing ever.
Speaker 2: So no, it was a great experience. Did they often try to hat on you? Oh not really.
Speaker 3: Remember this was when I had no eyebrows, so probably not my best time. And I met Andrew, you know, like I worked the first of eighteen months I was at Sony, I was solo, and then I met Andrew.
Speaker 2: So then I was kind of partnered up.
Speaker 1: His pop star career is a lesson not inside of him. But he was making a DVD. Well, he was making a DVD so remember those I know remember CD.
Speaker 2: What was the DVD that? Well, we were did the.
Speaker 3: Greatest Sportsman so we did like one with Warning, We did one with Costure Zoo, one with Harry Cule and one must have tried to crack onto you know, because I never got to Melbourne. We did it all you know, into States. So sadly I don't would have been been a great so I could have lied. And I do wish i'd held out for Harry Cule even though it's married. But now Andrew was the first DVD and yeah, I had no idea. I grew up in the UK watching soccer, so rugby league, you know, wasn't a thing.
Speaker 2: And I don't know we just what was it like being fame adjacent?
Speaker 3: Now, this is where I think being a publicist came in handy because you were used to being the invisible handbag. You were used to being the shadow. You were used to seeing what was about to happen. So if I was with Andrew, it was like my superpower. You could see, Okay, that guy on the right looks like he's had too much a drink.
Speaker 2: He's coming in for an autograph. How is that going to go?
Speaker 3: You know, you kind of have this sort of spidery sense I suppose of how it was, and very accommodating.
Speaker 2: You're a people pleaser as a publicist.
Speaker 3: You want a photo, we're having dinner. That's fine, no problem, let me take a photo of you two. You know, you just became I don't know, And I think because we'd had global stars that working with Andrew, who was really, you know, top of his game, but only in a sport only that sounds terrible, in a sport that was very well known in New South Wales. He was absolute and he couldn't dance like her. You know, we could go to Melbourne and nobody would know him. You know, so there was that. I suppose you'd had the megastars and maybe that was a really good baptism for me of people are just people, and some.
Speaker 2: Famous people are nice and some are not so nice.
Speaker 1: You know, when you were out together, would you fall into that publicist role as his partner? Just?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: And you're also kind of you're very aware of what's going to be written you're very aware about. We will just save that argument till we get home, but we will smile. Well, I would think about things I'll say to you once we get home, or vice versa.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I remember we were at the top of the Arcter treeph having a row, as you do summer in Paris. It's all fun and games until you've walked for six hours and you've only had a beget for breakfast, and we're having a row, and it's like, you know, R and I'm about to storm off and suddenly, oh.
Speaker 2: Joey, can we get a photo? And I was like, sure, No, we didn't hear that we were about to push each other off the Arcter.
Speaker 1: Tree on and would people sort of not actually knock you over, although maybe in a bid to that idea of you being invisible definitely had.
Speaker 3: I remember being at the stadium where three guys had come over for a photo. We're watching a soccer game, and one of them was taking the photo. One sat next to Andrew on the spare chair, the other sat on me to be in a photo with atreus. That is taking invisible to a whole new sort of forego.
Speaker 2: I am here you are. I'm a human cheer thank you bugger off. Was it a relief to be dating normies? Do you know it was a relief?
Speaker 3: You know, I look back and I don't think I was a mega anxious mum. But you're a new mum and it's all new and trying to get the pram at the car and you know this, that and the other, and like if Lewis wanted to feed and suddenly I'm thinking I've got to get my boob out, but the cafe spotted that it's Andrew and now they're looking and I'm getting my boot Like, yeah, that was tough being a new mum.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you people were watching you pimis or just watching because it's Joey?
Speaker 3: You know that first couple of years things like getting on a plane and walking down the aisle or going on a beach and no one looking at you was lovely. You know, you weren't there trying to get any swimmers going, oh my god, are those people are going to think that they thought you'd be with someone thinner or bigger booed or you know, oh my god, they're all looking us trying to get on the plane and it's really all good like that had gone, you know, So there was a real freedom where no one looks at you, because.
Speaker 1: I imagine there'd be also attention when you're in public. Is someone going to try to stop him? Is someone going to try to is he going to be in a bad mood? And you know, are we having a fight. Yeah, it's invasive, you know. And I used to think I could walk away. Andrew couldn't take his face off. He's Andrew wherever we go. It's just like Beyonce is you know, if we're going to use.
Speaker 3: That comparison again, you go, that's exhausting, you know. I mean I get recognized a bit now I should. Let's say someone today walking around Centennial was like, you know, because I say hello to all the regulars, and this chap I don't know six He's like, I saw your book in the bookshop.
Speaker 2: He said, how's it going?
Speaker 3: I said, well, I still haven't gone another husband, but apart from that, it's going pretty well. You know. So there's moments like that, or there's moments now on the apps where our match with someone and they'll go, I saw you on news dot com and you're like, oh great, which ship headline was? What photo was it?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Anyway? Are you related to Andrew John's Yes, I'm his mum.
Speaker 1: No, I'm oh.
Speaker 2: You just want to stay of origin ticket, don't you. I can see where this is going, but it's all you know what, I just use it as content. Now.
Speaker 3: I think all those things, you know, you can generally flip them and make light of them.
Speaker 2: Did you really have sex with the moon boat on? I did? Yeah? How did that come about? Fish?
Speaker 3: No? No, I mean I'm crap on top. I've got really tight hamstrings and I've got no like rhythm on the dance floor, So on top even at the best time. And what do you do is that? Do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: Like a show? Are we doing charades? While I'm up there? I check my phone.
Speaker 3: I think I give a really good missionary. I really think I give it my all. Do jazz hands can really get into it. We can both get off, but yeah, less so with the moon boot because it really hurts. So you literally are like a starfish. It's not my finest moment.
Speaker 2: You know, you obviously felt you're in the mood. Well it was early days. Yeah, we just went gently giving it a good old college try.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you it's hard to dress around the moon boot in or out of the bedroom.
Speaker 2: And I'm very sexy.
Speaker 1: That was a delightful Katmahoney on No Filter. What I mean about human sunshine. I know that you see that on the show, but I think when you hear someone speaking, you know, one on one, in more depth, you really get a great, more three dimensional sense of them than when they're just on the very funny Unleashed couch. I hope this gives you a new window into cath If you want to hear what she's up to next, you're already in the right place. Make sure that you hit follow on this Unleashed feed so you don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: How do you do that? You ask?
Speaker 1: There are no dumb questions around here, So I'm going.
Speaker 2: To tell you.
Speaker 1: It's like a little plus sign on the show's homepage in your podcast app, And I tell you why it's important for you and also for us. Following the show does two things. It means it just plops into your podcast app every week automatically, so you don't have to remember to go and find it when you want to listen.
Speaker 2: It's just there.
Speaker 1: And secondly, It's like a little thumbs up to the team here well at Unleashed.
Speaker 2: That you like the show.
Speaker 1: It helps other people discover it, and it helps us keep making it. And we are actually secretly very thirsty for praise, so do us as solid. Hit the plus and follow. Thank you for listening to this episode. We thought you might love it. The Unleashed team will be back with a brand new episode next Tuesday. See you next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and mortars that this podcast is recorded on