Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture. Hi. I'm Cassana Lukic and this is Diary of a Birth. We love sharing all kinds of birth stories here, but something I'm particularly passionate about is sharing the positive stories as well as the traumatic. Birth is hard. We all know that it's unexpected and sometimes scary, but there are beautiful moments too. After two unmedicated and complication free births, Today's mum felt confident going into her third. Only this time she birth's so quickly her husband missed it.
Speaker 2: He just said, he looked at his phone and it was multiple, like twenty miss calls, text messages from me, my mom, everyone, and he goes, yeah, it's happened, like he almost knew.
Speaker 1: But despite not having her husband there, she was delighted to share the moment with her mother, an experience that brought them even closer together. So let's meet today's mum.
Speaker 2: Hi. My name's Lee Cinda, and this is the diary of my birth with SARChI.
Speaker 1: So you've got three girls. You've got Poppy, Gigi, and Sachi. And what interested me most about your story is how you describe your berths as being relatively easy. So can you just briefly tell me about your first two berths.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because I say this to people and my husband goes, were we in the same room? That was not easy for you? He was screaming. I guess it's like, retrospectively, looking back, it was joyful in a way. I suppose I enjoyed it more than I thought. It was still really hard, but I really enjoy giving birth. And my mom's one of five, so maybe there's some genetics at play. I've got free now and I've enjoyed it so far. I could definitely keep going and having five if I was lucky enough. But yeah, I have enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: So you know, you mentioned that your mum felt like she was a good berth, so were you're like, Okay, this is genetic.
Speaker 2: I was hoping it would be genetic, but at the same time, I was like open to all options, Like I love the sound of an epidural, like, I'm all for advanced medicine, and you know that sounds amazing, Like I really am all for that. So I honestly thought I was going in to get an epidural for my first and I thought it would be an opportunity to be more present in the birth. I've heard all these stories, so I'm like, this is great. But one thing I wasn't aware of. I thought you sort of turned up to the hospital and you get presented with your options, like almost like a at a restaurant where the waiter comes around and shares the dessert you know, trolley or the champagne trolley. You can have this, this that, here's your paodole endme, or there is the epidural option. But there wasn't any of that. It was sort of up to you as the patient to say what you wanted. And I was really surprised by that. So I was waiting, thinking, man, when's the midwife going to come back? I really want this epi dural. It was starting to hurt. But by the time I finally said, you know, I'm just going to ask myself, she goes, no, it's way too late for that. We're ready to push. So I was like, what I need something, I need to pad it all. I was just like, no, it won't, it won't kick him. By the time you read, you've got a push and it all just sort of happens. Where did you give birth for Poppy in Woollongong private? So being in Barrel, which is regional an hour and a half from Sydney. There is a Barrel hospital here, but I just thought making that trip to Woollongong. Honestly, it's because I paid private health insurance for so bloody long. I just wanted to make get my baby at my bark and go to a private hospital.
Speaker 1: Especially when you're paying for maternal private that really upset please.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make the most of it. So we went there, which was still a forty minute drive compared to Sydney. So SARChI. I did wool and Gong with the first two and then my last with Sachi. I thought, you know what, I'll go to Sydney. That's where my GP, the OB I really liked, was there. I just thought, my last kid, maybe I'll do the trip to Sydney, knowing I'd stay with my parents though, because I don't think I could risk doing that hour and a half drive in labor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So you've had two beautiful births with Poppy and Gig and then you fall pregnant with Sachi. What are your pregnancies themselves?
Speaker 2: Like trimest one, Like, I don't know anyone who's had a good trimester one really, like they're always pretty grim. You do feel like you just constantly well, I did, constantly exhausted, hungover, just off. So yeah, try mester ones always like that. And then two and three is pretty good. I think I just pushed through. Especially with the third. You just have to get on with it with the older kids, whereas I wish with Poffy and Gigi, I took a bit more time to rest. There's nothing to prove, you don't get you know, Brownie points, We don't, you know, just relax. You're allowed to relax. But I feel like sometimes, as women or all moms, you just it's not going to prove something. But I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: It's that pressure to feel like you're doing a good job, and then it's the guilt of oh god, I haven't done a proper dinner tonight. So now I feel like a bad mum or I have missed this or did I forget Tuesday, or like, you know, all of those things that we think about as moms and the amount of pressure that we put on ourselves. So I completely I understand exactly what you're talking about. But you had really quick labors. You know, you had thirty nine weeks for the first two, So what was your plan and your partner's plan for baby number three?
Speaker 2: There was a part of me that thought, you know what I want the future. All this time, the first two have been completely natural, I'd like to experience a different birth because as much as I say it was positive and I enjoyed it, it was still at the time horrific. It's a very hard thing. So I thought, and I'm not necessarily present. I wasn't present. You know, you become quite animalistic and you you know, you're screaming. So I thought, you know, it might be quite nice just holding my husband's hand for this one. But then the other side of me thought, you know, i've I've done it before, I can do it again. And there is something really empowering about birthing in general. So I was like, I can do this, and I thought, I'm going to go in and try my best to do it natural again, but no, you know the options there and she was in the right position and everything was okay and set to have a natural birth, so I thought I'd give it a crack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when did you head up to Sydney then?
Speaker 2: So it was actually thirty eight weeks both poffee and cheese. You came bang on thirty eight weeks, and I thought, I went to Sydney at thirty eight weeks, but to stay with my parents, which was nice. I said to my husband, you stay in Barrel treated as a holiday. You can have two weeks by yourself without the other two kids. I can be in Sydney with my mum and dad to help with the kids. It's just a nice break before number three comes into the world. And just because the other two came at thirty eight weeks didn't necessarily mean this one would. So I said, look, there's no point you coming up just yet because with you know, work and whatnot. You just stay until I give you the call and you just jump straight in the car. And so it was thirty eight weeks. Admittedly I did do acupuncture, what else did I do the RAS relief tea. I was wanting it to move along, because I quite liked the idea of them all being born at thirty eight weeks. But also, you're over it, aren't You're so over it at that she just want them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the curb walking, the you're like, is this the only way we're going to get this baby out? Can somebody please just get this kid out?
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: My mom's like, you should just enjoy these two weeks, don't rush it, just relax. You've got me here to help you. But I don't know, there's something about just wanting to get her out.
Speaker 1: I know you're uncomfortable, you full, Their heads have dropped. Your yea helvis feels full. You get a pee fifty times a night, It's like it's a lot. So I get that. But the craziest part of your whole story is your husband's in bowel and then you start to feel a little niggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I thought it was getting to the end of the evening. It was like eight pm on the thirty eight week mark, and I thought, look, she's not coming today. There goes my thirty eight weeks for all of them. And I was watching Succession with my mum and I could just sort of start feeling some sort of twag and I'm like, oh, what's going on? And I was rolling around. My mom's like are you okay? I was like, I'm sure, I'm okay. It's just maybe some movement. And then we're watching another episode and it was about nine o'clock and I thought, you know what, I'm gonna go just have a shell, wash my hair and put a faked hat on. My mom's like, what is your problem? But anyways, I thought, look, I'm just gonna get prepared in case. And as the night went on, I could just feel maybe this is it. Yeah, this is it, and yeah, I just got sort of ready. And then at about midnight I called the hospital. You know, you've just got to let them know because hey, you're expecting me in two weeks, but just letting you know it could happen tonight. This is a bit of a random thing. But my mom she takes her blood pressure for her own sort of medication. She's like, let me just take your blood pressure just to see where it's at. And I told the hospital that and they're like, wow, that's really high. I can't remember what it was. They're like, you've actually you better come in now. And I came in and a couple of hours later she was warm.
Speaker 1: Once you had felt those niggles, did you call your husband?
Speaker 2: No? Because I didn't. It wasn't enough, Like it was very low. I was moving about, I was putting my town on. It felt. Yeah, it wasn't. I honestly didn't think it was going to come back. She wasn't gonna come that night. I thought, here tomorrow thing and I'd labor potentially through the night. It wasn't enough just yet. I thought maybe my like waters would break. But yeah, in hindsight, I probably should have.
Speaker 1: So when did Simon get a phone call?
Speaker 2: So around the midnight when I knew I was gonna have to go in, but he wasn't answering, so I was like, okay, Well he thought, you know, you can put your phone on sleep mode, I do not disturb. You can have exceptions, he thought. He changed it around. So this phone calls started coming through around midnight when I realized, okay, couok, this is it, and then yeah, basically every hour and then he woke up at six point thirty and just jumped in the car and came to Sydney. But yeah, it was just that's just how quickly it comes, like it can go from just little ooh, that's interesting. She might be getting ready to come to woom we're on. Yeah, And they were all like that, even with Gigi. I was lying in the hospital waiting and we were I was on my phone, we were ordering some Uber Eats it was sushi, and then by the time he put the order in, she came and then the Uber came like it just come. It was in. So that active labor was about twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: So wow, Okay, so you're calling your husband. Are you panicked at this point? Are you're You're like, you know what, He's asleep. He's clearly not going to get this. I'm just going to go to the hospital with mum.
Speaker 2: If it was my first, i'd be panicked. I'd be really on edge. Because it was the third. There, I guess there was a part of me I was like, my mum's here, that's really special. Like I always knew she'd be there in the hospital with me if he wasn't there, So I wasn't panicked and I just knew what had happened. I was sort of laughing about it because it was just, you know, to miss the birth and he hates blood. He was forced to cut the umbilical cord by our ob with the first Like I was like, it's just funny how it's worked out for him, And yeah, I wasn't too panicked at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you seem like a very chilled person. I want to hear more about the going to the hospital. Your mom's driving you to the hospital. You're still feeling these contractions. Are they starting to intensify?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it is, yeah, and I have the contraction app so I was sort of seeing if they were contractions, if there was any inconsistency rhythm to them. So like nine ish about midnight, I called the hospital and then we went in at about two. So in all this time, I guess you could call that laboring. My waters hadn't broken though, but I could feel things were happening. And then when I went in two o'clock, basically when I arrived, my waters broke, which was a really good just it worked out well with timing. And then we hung around. It was my mum and I and that's when it really I was still okay, like it's not sort of I'm not bent over and howling just yet, like I'm still okay and managing it. It wasn't until just that end in active waybor it really ramps up for me and I'm I'm on all fours, I'm running to the bathroom, you know, being sick. And that's sort of when it just picks up in that last little bit for me, where it's just it's lucky. It's pretty chill up until that last bit, it's just it's on.
Speaker 1: Did you sort of get a check when you got into the hospital after your order broke?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she checked to make sure, yep, confirm my waters have broken. And then I had the option if I wanted to stay in the hospital or go home and labor more at home. But just based on my experience with the other two coming so quickly, they said just stay in the hospital. You've got your mum here. We're here as well. It was really early hours of the morning. They said, we'll give eu ob a call. It like five five thirty. He also missed the berth as well. It just sort of happened.
Speaker 1: Can we get a refund for that?
Speaker 2: I would say, what are we paying for? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What were you dilated at when you got into the hospital. Do you remember four or five?
Speaker 2: Okay, it was enough, but not enough for them to be alarmed or sort of be all lies on me. At this point. They just said, you know, shout out if you really need me. But it's even at that four or five. You know, it's different for everyone. It's just I'm not necessarily I'm contracting, and those contractions hurt, but in between, I'm still pretty okay. I think I was like on my phone in between, even at four or five, and then yeah, on all fours again for the contraction, and then back again on my phone. So I just it's not too bad until it hits that eight centimeters dilated for me, where it just yeah or hell breaks loose. Just the way that you describe it sounds like your body is made to birth, and that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 2: It feels almost euphoric, like you feel like warrior princess. It's just sort of done this huge thing.
Speaker 1: So you get to your eight centimeters and nine ten, you're in this transition phase. It's really hurting. Your mom's there with you, the husband's asleep having a lovely rest.
Speaker 2: The o be's asleep.
Speaker 1: Fummer, the OB's asleep, and the midwife says, okay, we're ready to push.
Speaker 2: I actually am. I don't know if you got this, but I vomited with all three of mine as well. That's a sign for me that I'm going to go into labor. So I was there, I was contracting and I was sort of on all fours and I was asking for the gas and they gave me it, but it was like A turned so low, like Mom, can you crank that up? I need more. But there was a big contraction where I said I just need to go to the bathroom. I'm going to be sick. And I went to the bathroom and then I just sort of collapsed and I was like, yeah, I need a push. This is it. So I was over in the bathroom at this point and they're like, do you want to give birth down there? I was like, I was trying to get a mat out for me to give birth by the toilet. I was like, no, I can make it back up onto the bed. So I crawled back onto the bed and laid down. All my burths have been just in that position where I am on my back up. My mum was holding my hand and they just said, this is it. You need to push, and they raced in and it was there. And I don't know, if it's just your body, you do actually get used to it. But I do find the first Poppy was the hardest by far in terms of that ring of fire and that feeling of pushing. But with Gigi and then Sartchi and they've bull been the same size, it does get easier. So I guess if it's your body used to just stretching out to that size. But yeah, she came out. My mum cut the and bilical cord.
Speaker 1: How many how many pushes?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 1: Three pushes and she was out. Yeah, she comes out, she's aunt straight onto your chest. Yeah, you've got your mom with you, and your mom must have been so thrilled.
Speaker 2: To be with you and me too. It was really special. She was bowling her eyes out and yeah, it was really sweet. I did, actually, I should say, with the pushes with Poppy, and it was all just by first, and it was so crazy, and I just wanted to push and I was really like grunting pushing, and I actually tore I think with it one or two degree tear. And then I learned that by Gigi and then SARChI. It's just those little pilate pushes and pumps that you should do instead of those big grunts like I just thought the bigger, the better to get this child out of me. So I was really pushing. But by SARChI, I'd learn it was just like to get them out without tearing, and that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know, I think that's such a big thing. Is like the I've spoken about this before, the learning how to push, and something challenging with an epidural is depending on how strong it is, sometimes you cannot feel how you're pushing. So it is really important to learn that because your body knows when to kind of ease the baby out, I guess. But yeah, it's amazing that through subsequent pregnancies you kind of learned, all right, this is going to be a better way to push.
Speaker 2: It's almost opposite to what the midwife is saying, like big push, now, big push, and that sort of to me means just all your force into it. But yeah, it's just yeah, that learning to do the push, but more from internally pushing. So yeah, that was yeah, three or four pushes and then she was out.
Speaker 1: She was out she was on your chest, and you and your mum went some time together and your mom cut the cord.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and then we facetimed in my husband zooming up the highway to Sydney.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait wait, I got to I gotta get this be right. So he finally wakes up. He wakes up at six. When was SARChI born?
Speaker 2: Five fifteen?
Speaker 1: Okay? So he wakes up to what.
Speaker 2: He just said. He looked at his phone and it was multiple, like twenty miss calls, text messages from me, my mom, everyone, and he goes, yeah, it's happened, like he almost knew, and then just called me straight away. And then I put it on FaceTime and introduced her and he chose her name SARChI, so he was like, hi, SARChI, like knew straight away. It wasn't who's this or what's the sex and he just jumped straight from the car and came to Sydney.
Speaker 1: I'm just imagining him waking up and looking at his phone and going, oh, okay, so I've just missed. Yeah, how does he feel about missing Sachi's birth? Is almost like, well, I've had two, so I know what it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's the time where if he sees the slightest bit of blood he fades like he really can't stand blood. And the first he didn't want to go anywhere near that end with my first pregnance or second. But the ob was like, you need to come on, cut the cord. Cut the cord. Oh no, sorry, he needed to pull the head out. He pulled poffy out. He goes, no, no, no, I can't do that this, come on, put your gloves on. In his fiddling about and I was like, just hurry up, someone get this kid out of me. So he was almost traumatized by that. So he looked. I think maybe there's a part of him that regrets not being there, but I think he was pretty happy in bed and happy to meet above when all the mess was cleaned up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like the nineteen fifties are all waiting in the room smoking their cigars, drinking. There is my baby here. Yeah. Like it was a.
Speaker 2: Bit where I was like, you know, it's actually kind of you had wanted my mom to be there to cut the cord, So even if he was there, I'd be like, mom, you do it.
Speaker 1: Was your mom there for all three of your berths.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was always just Simon.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful special moment for you and your mom to share.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was really special.
Speaker 1: And tell me about Simon meeting Sachi for the first time when he finally gets to Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sort of just waltzed on in with some coffees for.
Speaker 3: All of us.
Speaker 2: And sat down and yeah, Gabric cuddle did their Chester chest skin on skin. He hates all the blood and stuff, so he cleaned her up straight away, you know, all the white stuff you meant to keep on her a bit because let's get rid of this. But no, he was You could just you know, when they're just almost shock like his pupils were so big, like it was all sort of you can tell her he was running on adrenaline just as much as I was. And yeah, it was nice. So he had some good bonding time and just made sure it was, yeah, an extra long bonding session of the Chester Chest. So he had some time alone. I think we left him in the room for a bit so he could have that moment with Sashi.
Speaker 1: You did mention a little bit about the oxytocin high, the high that you feel after giving birth. And I've heard this from a few other women who've given birth vaginally without medication. Can you tell me about that high that you feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels almost euphoric. Especially it's just this overwhelming, like you feel like a warrior princess. It's just sort of done, this huge thing and the rush, and I guess and it lasts almost like forty eight hours, just this high of like I guess, maybe pride and happiness that you've got this beautiful child, but it's more about your You just feel so proud is a good word for it. Maybe it's just yeah, it's incredible. But then I guess with any up comes the down and they talk about the is it the three day baby blues? Oh?
Speaker 1: God? Those that's the one thing I worn first time. Mom's about I said, day five, you were going to feel a dip, Yes, you were going to be really sad.
Speaker 2: Yes. And I felt those big time as well. So I might have felt the high initially a lot of the intensity, but then I also felt the lows. I just remember being in like a breastfeeding class and I was just doing anything to try and distract myself from crying. And I know what am I doing, and I was just trying to like online shop or just something to distract myself, and anything was making me cry. And that is I warned mums about the baby blues and also the engagement of the boobs, like I don't think anyone warns you about how he engage your boos, cat, And yeah, you're so uncomfortable. You've got the blues and you feel low and sad and you're like, what have I done with my life? Yeah, but it all settles down and yeah, it all sort of eats itself out, but yeah, ephoric high. It's incredible, and I think it's just it. It's the hardest thing I've ever ever done, and I think a lot of women it's the hardest thing they ever go through. So maybe that's where that pride comes from, Like you can actually do something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I obviously have had very different experiences to you, but I definitely do deal feel and I think every woman should, no matter the way that they give birth. Is that immense feeling of pride and amazement at what our bodies can do. The first thing I said when my first baby came out was I've been waiting for you for so long, and it's that like.
Speaker 2: Love, you know, and the amount of times I was saying, I can't do this, I can't do this. I can't do this. You can. You can, the midwives, you can. You almost say I can't do this. So I think it's the finally, like you, you do do it, and we do do it, And here's the baby that you have been waiting for in all your life, you know, even that nine months, you've been growing this thing and feeling the kicks, and I can't just seeing their face and you've been visualizing, visualizing and imagining for the past nine months or you know, your life what they would look like, and then you see their little swished up face, even though that's nothing what they'll eventually look like. But yeah, it's pretty spectacular. Yeah, it's like I do anything for that feeling. Although this after Gigi, the first thing I said is I'm never doing this again.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now that such he's nine months, has that feeling of I'm never doing this again gone away.
Speaker 2: I would love another one. I'm so ready to go now, like I would love And you know, you sort of get that feeling where you're looking at baby names, you thinking little things I'm there, ready to go. My husband was set on two and we compromised at three. So I'm sort of aut that challenging spot where I would really love another one, but he was so set on two. I just don't want to have, like we've got such a beautiful, healthy relationship and with our three healthy kids, adding another child into the mix where he was so adamant not too. I don't want that to disrupt our unit and union at the moment. So we just we've got to figure that out.
Speaker 1: You know what you've got, You've got some time and you can always like go back and thinking about it and talk about it and stuff like that. But thank you for sharing such a positive and beautiful story with us. Absolute pleasure to talk to you, and thank you for sharing your story.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask our resident obstrician and gynecologist, doctor Browmin Devine, if there is a genetic component to being a good Bertha.
Speaker 3: In terms of being a good bertha, you know, people you say, oh, she's got childbearing hips. That used to be something that people said when I was growing up, she's got good child bearing hips, And it was often the way someone was possibly quite covacous on the outside, so they you know, had a curvacious pair of hips or something like that, which doesn't really have any impact on whether someone's going to be able to have an easy birth or not. Definitely, when you talk about genetics, there are a lot of factors that come into play whether someone's going to have a straightforward labor or a complicated labor. But there is a reasonable input from someone's bone structure and the size and the shape of the inlet of their pelvis and the outlet of their pelvis. And we've always sort of said in obstetrics that women who are smaller or shorter don't have so much height and have little feet, so foot size four or four and a half five. We often look at people's feet and think, all, goodness, I wonder how you're going to go in labor because people with little small feet often have smaller pelvies as well, and certainly that can be something that runs in families. Again, when I started my training, we used to do this silly business where we'd get cat scans of people's pelvis and measure the inside diameters of their pelvis and then try and make assumptions about whether that would mean they're going to be able to have a vaginal birth or not, and all that just showed us that it wasn't a very particularly accurate way of determining people's birth outcomes at all. So it's all gone by the way. But it's absolutely true that some people have quick and relatively straightforward labors and others have really long, slow, difficult, frankly mean and nasty labors, And it's got very little to do at the end of the day on how motivated you are or how much you want to birds vaginally. There's a whole bunch of factors, the size and shape of your pelvis being one, but also the size and shape of your bubb's head and how the head's positioned in relation to your pelvis, and whether the placenta's going to cope with the whole of labor and get the bub through without having a bit of a hissy fit halfway through the labor and decide it doesn't want to work anymore. So there's lots and lots of reasons why a birth would go in one direction or another. But certainly if a person comes in and said, look, you know, I've got a family history, all the women in my family birth really easily. There is something about that you think good.
Speaker 1: And can doctor Devine explain what the highest that some women experience after birth.
Speaker 3: It's very complex, obviously it's not just one thing. But I think most people are aware that oxytocin, which is the hormone that is released in labor to allow your uterus to contract, is also known as the cuddle hormone, so it's also released in the post orgasmic state to make people sort of feel very smoochy and happy and close and cuddly. So that's an interesting sort of correlation there. Also, I mean, there must be a range of neurotransmitters that are buzzing around in your brain after going through something like a labor which is really, you know, a phenomenally intense and really hard work time for your body and your psyche and your hormonal system and everything. So that must release a number of neurotransmitters that can bring that sort of dopamine and things that bring that real sort of high.
Speaker 1: Diary of a Birth was hosted by me Cassemie Lukich with expert input from Dr Bromwin Define. We also want to hear from you if you like this episode, please share and subscribe. A five star rating goes a long way in ensuring we continue to share all of your stories. This episode was produced by Ella Maitland and myself Cassemie Lukic, with audio production by Tina Mattalov,