Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma mea podcast. Muma Me acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters. This podcast is recorded on There's nothing quite like the instant connection you feel when you meet someone and just know they could be your person. It's a bond that runs deep, felt emotionally, intellectually and physically so powerful that together you feel capable of conquering anything and everything.
Speaker 2: I was so into it, and I was really taken with his views of the world and his approach on things. And there's a saying that says small minds speak about other people, medium sized minds speak about events, and open large minds speak about ideas. And I really felt it was like that we would were solving the problems of the world.
Speaker 1: And it was a really.
Speaker 2: Nourishing experience to be in where I felt like this is good for the soul and the and the body. I felt we were completely infatuated with each other.
Speaker 1: Everything was perfect. But with a connection this strong, it's easy to overlook a few signs to give your person the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean everyone in your corner will see it the same way.
Speaker 2: My little sister, she put her energy into investigating Jake. Whatever it took, she was on the case. And of course she's relaying all this information to my other sister and my mum, and so it was like this three way onslaught from my family of what are you doing? And get out of there? And what's wrong with you? And how can you be so stupid? Like it was text, it was calls, it was relentless.
Speaker 1: I'm Georgia love and this is everyone has an ex Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships passed through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lived them. We've all heard the saying love finds you when you least expect it. Well, for twenty seven year old Scarlet, a TV presenter living in Brisbane, that couldn't have been more true, because on one completely unassuming evening, an unlikely wing woman stepped in and set everything in motion.
Speaker 2: It was one of those nights where I had got my pajamas on ordered takeaway. It was in front of the TV. It was like I'm not leaving the house again. And then it was actually a message from my mum who was in town. She was a flight attendant and said come and meet me, and so I saw, okay, mom, I will, and so that set me on being out that night, and later on into the night, I met a friend at a pub after a rugby match who introduced me to Jake. As soon as we met, it was this crazy connection, emotional, intellectual. We were talking, we were kissing, and o member At the end of that night, I'd only met him five hours before, but prying myself away from him to go to my apartment seemed impossible, like I was just so in it.
Speaker 1: And from there it was full steam ahead.
Speaker 2: We became pretty much inseparable, and we spent a lot of time together. Not every single day, but before long we were seeing each other every single night. He was staying at my place, and we were pretty soon talking about marriage and kids and all of those things that set up a future. A couple of weeks later, it became more official. But it was one of those experiences in the past you're sort of seeing someone you go, oh, is it a situation?
Speaker 1: Ship?
Speaker 2: Are they seeing other people? Are we actually a thing? But the connection was so strong from the start it was like it would have even been offensive to suggest to the other person that we were doing anything outside of each other. He was very dark, very handsome, very charismatic, physically my type, and he just seemed to have such an interesting view on the world. And I feel like I was learning so much with him, and we were in this absolute love bubble like nothing else seemed to be a problem.
Speaker 1: We were just together.
Speaker 2: And he told me he was a doctor, but that was the least interesting thing about him. We would spend so long just walking by the river, getting food, drinking wine. I came home one day and the whole living room had been completely transformed. He'd put tea like candles all the way along the window sill and along the wall and the cabinet, and it was all pillows and plush blankets and a bottle of champagne and a big cheese platter. And this was just how it was any given day. One time he picked me up from work in a convertible luxury car that he'd hired just to give me a bit of a nice afternoon fancy restaurants. And it wasn't like it was all these luxury things. They were definitely there, but I had just as good a time, like staying in bed all day or sitting around watching TV, so it was whatever we were doing, the connection was so good. There was definitely chemistry, physical attraction, and intellectual was really strong, like he'd talk about big ideas and things.
Speaker 1: That were going on in the world.
Speaker 2: And as a journalist who kind of felt like I knew a lot about a lot of things, you know, and a lot of people, a lot of people I spoke to, I'm like, oh, gosh, ah, the poor uninformed, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It was not like that at all.
Speaker 2: I was so into it, and I was really taken with his views of the world and his approach on things. And there's a saying that says small minds speak about other people, medium sized minds speak about events, and open large minds speak about ideas. And I really felt it was like that we would were solving the problems of the world.
Speaker 1: And it was a really.
Speaker 2: Nourishing experience to be in where I felt like, this is good for the soul and the mind and the body. The I Love You came a few months later, but I feel like we both wanted to say it immediately, but it was one of those you know, social rules that you just wait a little while to say it. But I felt we were completely infatuated with each other. Everything was perfect. I would go to work in the day, he would go to work. Often he would drop me at work, so I wouldn't even have to drive myself. He'd dropped me at work, and then he'd go to work, and then he picked me up and we'd be back in the love bubble and everything was just as good as it can be.
Speaker 1: I was totally on cloud nine. Things were moving pretty fast, and at the time Jake was in the process of moving out of his place, so it was only natural, especially with a connection like theirs, that he spent more time at Scarlet's, and that, dear listener, is when you can observe your person a little more closely.
Speaker 2: I think I might have said thing, oh, well, no problem, you can just stay here. So there was never an official you can move in with me, and he never did move in with me, but it was like an unspoken scenario that just started playing out. I got to a stage where it was every night, and when that was happening, I suppose I may have questioned why he didn't have night shift, but he said that he was only on day shift. It was something about the hours there seemed to be like the explanation made sense, and I didn't really think anything of it. He had this doctor's kit, which was this old looking briefcase with a stethoscope in it. It really looked like some kind of vintage relic, you know. I didn't think it looked quite right. But then also, I am not a doctor. I don't know what it's supposed to look like. And he would dress super casually, like in like almost gym gear to go to work, which I thought, oh, that seems a bit odd. He told me that he got changed at work, so he had his uniform work and got changed, and I thought, okay, well that makes sense. And it was a few months in and I'd never met any of his colleagues. Again, they're doctors, they're busy, they're probably working and sleeping.
Speaker 1: And then there came an issue with money.
Speaker 2: So we'd have these extravagant experiences together, helicopter tours of wineries and fancy weekends away and dinners at the best restaurant, and it was all looked after by him. And then the next morning he'd say he didn't have any money to get coffee, and I was like, well, the least I can do is shout you at coffee. That's absolutely fine. So it wasn't the actual money itself. It was more just unusual behavior. How you could have so much and then straightaway have nothing.
Speaker 1: It seemed.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, there's just something that doesn't quite add up. I'd met all of his family, really beautiful people. He was a doctor in their eyes, the doctor of the family. So while there were a couple of things that didn't add up, there were also things that did. So at that stage, I was, I suppose, just deep down feeling like there's a few things we need to figure out before we get married and have lots of babies. I asked a couple of questions about the money and about the uniform to work, and I'd dropped him at the hospital a couple of times, and every time I asked him he seemed to have an explanation quickly or he shut it down. And I didn't want to make things worse, because we wanted to be happy and enjoy our day and not go into an argument.
Speaker 1: Almost a year into the relationship, tragedy strunk. Scarlet's dad passed away suddenly. Through the shock and grief, Jag stayed by her side, but it was also a time but it began to raise new questions about who Jake really was, especially when he was around her entire family.
Speaker 2: All of the family went to my hometown of Wollongong to be together, my mom and my sisters. We'd lived in different areas of Australia, so we'd all come together, including Jake.
Speaker 1: He was with me at the time.
Speaker 2: My sister was pregnant and she was needing to have injections just as part of the pregnancy, very very routine, and Jake did not want any part of it. He didn't want to administer the needle, he didn't want to know what was going on, he didn't want.
Speaker 1: Any part of it.
Speaker 2: He almost recoiled at the thought of having to do that. It just seemed to be at odds with how you think a doctor would react in that situation. But then I thought, well, I guess you can still be a doctor and not be overly caring. Or also, because he's with me and she's my sister, therefore it didn't feel like it was the right place that either way, My poor sister was back on the job with having to do it herself. And then after the funeral, my sister and I decided to go and see my dad's GP because my dad had seen the GP who had sent him home with a life threatening infection which ended up taking his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we were.
Speaker 2: Just curious as to why the GP sent him home when he should have been rushed straight to hospital at that stage and he ended up dying from sepsis with an infection that was untreated. So we thought, great, we'll bring Jake because wouldn't it be good speaking to the GP to have somebody who knows about medical information to be there with us. Not only did he not ask any questions, there was something the doctor said that we didn't quite know what was. My sister turned to Jake and said, oh, what does this mean? And he had nothing. He couldn't explain it. So he'd gone from being my boyfriend to sitting in the front row of my father's funeral with a lot of doubt around who he was and what.
Speaker 1: The story was.
Speaker 2: Because we were there for my dad's funeral, it was sort of down the list of things to talk about.
Speaker 1: As you would know, there's just a.
Speaker 2: Lot of things that had to be done in that period while you're in shock, while you're grieving, and so it was just little seeds that got planted.
Speaker 1: But these little seeds for Scarlet were big red flags for her little sister, who went into full Nancy Drew mode.
Speaker 2: Everybody grieves differently, and for my little sister, she put her energy into investigating Jake.
Speaker 1: Whatever it took. She was on the case.
Speaker 2: I had mentioned a few concerns about the money to my older sister, which pretty much means it goes through the whole family, let's be honest.
Speaker 1: So I think that.
Speaker 2: The whole family had knew that there was not everything being perfect and tracking, But that visit was what inspired her because it went from him doing something to me to him wronging the whole family at one of the most devastating times in our life. So it became personal for her. I said to her, I remember going, why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: Like go and live your life. It's my problem.
Speaker 2: And that's when she said, if he sat in the front row of my father's funeral and he sat in that GP office with me, is my problem.
Speaker 1: And she took it on. They were calling up going Scarlet, I don't know about this guy. Have you got proof?
Speaker 2: And being a journalist, you are used to getting the facts and getting verification. But I'd never really thought to order a boyfriend quite so strictly, I'm not sort of like, I mean, maybe it's a good thing to be, like, Okay, now can you give me your resume and your job description and your references? But I sort of didn't think to do that, so I sort of said, well, no, I haven't. I've dropped him at work, I've met his whole family. I'd met him through a friend originally, Like there was lots of reasons to support him, and all my friends and family loved Jake. He was an extremely charismatic guy, he really was. Everybody loved him. But my little sister, she was not going to let this go, and she phoned the university, no record of him having a medical degree. She phoned the hospital, no record of him being at the hospital. And then the big one, no record on APRA. So APRA is the site where anyone registered as a health practitioner in Australia needs to be registered. And it wasn't like he was there with a little bit of a black mark against his name.
Speaker 1: He wasn't there at all. There were so many questions rolling around in Scarlett's head. It was overwhelming. She didn't know what to do or how to approach this newfound information to the man she loved. There was so much going on, but one thing was clear. Her family was not going to let this go.
Speaker 2: It was harassment by family like it was text, it was calls, it was relentless. And during that time I had also lost my job. The reason for that is I've been freelancing, so I didn't lose my job. With everything that was happening, they needed somebody else to fill those shifts, and so I'd changed jobs and gone into PR during that period.
Speaker 1: So there was a lot on my mind.
Speaker 2: And when you start a new job, you don't really want your phone ringing like ten times a day while you're at your desk. Not a good look. And one day I was at work, Ignore, ignore, Ignore, I just started a new job, and she called the office reception. She called the reception of where I worked, and they came over to me because she was so panicked that something had happened to me, because she started fearing for my safety. So my little sister was investigating, and of course she's relaying all this information to my other sister and my mum and So it was like this three way onslaught from my family of.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: And get out of there? And what's wrong with you? And how can you be so stupid? At a time when I was grieving the loss of my dad, I had lost a job and was trying to make a way in an new career and trying to save a relationship which I believed was endgame for me. So there was a lot going on.
Speaker 1: The mental load was becoming unbearable, and Scarlett knew what she had to do. She had to confront Jake.
Speaker 2: I needed to find the right time because I knew that it would be a big fight, a big stress. I kept pushing it back, pushing it out of my mind because it was all I could cope with. So the first time I brought it up with him and said, these are some concerns I have. There's this, this, and this that doesn't add up. And the first response was, oh, okay, well I don't think we should be together, and he broke up with me. No answer, no explanation, He broke up. And when that happened, I sobbed like a baby for like twenty four hours in my bed and then came down with the worst flu.
Speaker 1: I've ever had.
Speaker 2: I felt like the worst thing had just happened, and I begged for.
Speaker 1: Him to take me back.
Speaker 2: I begged him to take me back, and so when I did that, I was on the back foot because I couldn't really beg to take him back and then be demanding answers about who he was.
Speaker 1: So she dropped it. The thought of losing Jake was just too much, so they carried on as if nothing had happened. But as you can guess, there were a few people that weren't too happy about that. My family was calling me, texting me, and emailing me hundreds of times a day. It was really out of hand, and of course it was coming from a place of love and a place of concern, because they were getting really concerned because there was no evidence he was who he said he was. So once the relationship sort of picked back up and I was feeling like we were going okay, I started to raise these questions again, and he said, Okay, Scarlett, I can send you a pay slip. Great, Okay, if you've got a recent payslip, I'll take it. Wonderful. Can I send it to you tomorrow? Wonderful? So I'm waiting with baited breadth at my email.
Speaker 2: I've never been so excited to get an email coming in and I opened it up. It didn't look like mine, but I thought, oh, okay, that's okay. We had a good night, and by this stage, this is what our relationship was like, good nights, bad nights, good days, bad days, very much walking on eggshells, trying to protect the chemistry and the attraction that we had. And I said, okay, thank you so much, thank you so much for the payslip. Sorry, yeah, I was sorry for asking. You know, it's just my family, my sister, my mom, and you know I've been going through a lot and there's been a lot of stress going on. And the way it worked out, my family became the enemy. And I did say, thanks for the pay slip. How do you explain the opera registration? And that was when the story changed. That was when he gave me an answer that absolutely flawed me. He said, the reason my name isn't there is because I'm in witness protection and it's been wiped so I can't be found. Because I'm an informant with a secret criminal investigation. I work for a national intelligence agency. I used to be in Special Forces, and I've protected the Malaysian Prime Minister's children. He seemed very matter of fact, to the point where I thought, well, if it was so matter of fact, why did it take this long for this to come out?
Speaker 1: Because we'd had such a.
Speaker 2: Close, open relationship where we would spend hours having dn ms about our childhoods and what was important to us, and there were multiple opportunities for this kind of information to come up. And so I just took a deep breath and said, right, okay. It was such a fantastical, bizarre response that I needed time to devise my cross examination. I suppose, like I guess, I'm an interest of journalist's brain, going what questions do I ask?
Speaker 1: From here?
Speaker 2: I felt like I could physically feel the cogs of my mind turning.
Speaker 1: So janke buy his own admission was a spy, and around this time it prompted Scarlet to do a little spying of her own.
Speaker 2: In the top of my printer. You know how you can lift up the lid to scan things. I was looking in there, which is not something I do every day. This is why it was a few weeks later I found the pay slip It was a cobble together sticky tape and liquid paper like arts and craft job. So it wasn't the pay slip. It was a doctor document. I had approached it very sarcastically, like you call this by work, This is pretty amateur, this is pretty dodgy, and it was, Oh, what's wrong with you? You know, why do you keep going on with this? And he also started to step away again of oh, okay, all right, well you know, I'm out, and I was scared of that. I didn't want to lose him. I was always trying to get back to that incredible, great connection that we had when we met, which was still there in pockets. I was wanting to protect my own integrity and reputation through all this, and also I had the view that we were going to be together forever. Still through all this, the view was that.
Speaker 1: He was my forever person.
Speaker 2: So I was wanting to protect both of our reputations because when you share certain information about a relationship, there is no going back. Through all this, I never wanted to leave him or break up. I just wanted to understand what was going on, and I was constantly giving him the benefit of the doubt. With that I was no closer to finding answers. In fact, I was more confused before me starting the investigation. During this the family pressure was becoming more and more relentless, and the language used, which they've since apologized for, was very much victim blaming. What is wrong with you? You're an idiot? How could someone smart like you end up in a situation like this? And I suppose they were saying out loud the things that deep down I was saying to myself. I didn't want to admit to myself that I'd been such an idiot and got it so wrong, because in the beginning it was such a strong intuitive connection, like I believed with every cell of my body that this person was the person I was meant to be with forever. So going back on that was me denying the strength and integrity of my own intuition. It was me admitting to myself, well, my sense of what's real and what's right is completely off. So I felt like by believing the lies would have been dismantling everything that I believed to be true for myself and my life. The consequences were much greater than just the relationship breaking up, And so I did what any love blind woman in my situation would do told my family I broke up with him and then continue to date him in secret. When I told my family that I'd broken up, it did stop the relentless calls and texts and pressure. It also meant I started this secret part of the relationship with I don't care who he is or what he does, it doesn't even matter. I just want to be with him because I love him. And I rationalized it in my mind by saying, of course you can love someone and still have no idea who they are.
Speaker 1: It had become so secret, so he was lying. I was lying.
Speaker 2: And the ironic thing was is my job was in pr at that stage before had been journalism, where your job is to use your voice, share the facts, tell the truth, be accurate. And in my home life everything was a lie. It was eating me alive inside.
Speaker 1: It was killing me.
Speaker 2: I am a open, honest person, very close to my family. I was at this luxury weekend away because we were back to these beautiful luxury weekends, you know, with spars and champagne and or dervs and all the things and fireplaces, and got a call from my mum. But because I was keeping up the facade. I couldn't just not be answering the phone. So here I am in a bubble bath with a glass of champagne, saying to Jake, you.
Speaker 1: Know, sh it's my mum, Hi mom, Oh honey, what are you up to?
Speaker 2: Oh? You know, just pottering around the house, my head down to Woolli's like just trying to keep up this story of me being alone and not being with him, And the calls were starting to be sympathetic. My family was saying, how you're going, love, you know what with the breakup and the emotional stress, and with my dad they were saying, how are you? And so there was this incredible guilt that I felt because I was with Jay. Yet they were comforting me because they felt that I was all alone wanting to start afresh, but I wasn't.
Speaker 1: The more Scarlet thought about it, the more she felt like a hypocrite. And Jake, well, he tended to agree. The conversation turned to, well, if you're lying to your whole family, then this can't be the real deal sort of vibes. So there was so much lying going on. He was lying, I was lying.
Speaker 2: It was eating me up inside and I thought How can I expect him to ever tell me the truth if I'm not being truthful in my own life. I'm believing now the key to us finally being together, finally being in the clear. Throughout this time, I really had this visual that it was going through this fog, and if we just got to the end of the fog, everything would be fantastic again and we could live happily ever after. So it was time to stop lying, and I wrote an email saying I've been seeing Jake, I will be seeing him. You can either get on board or you can cut me off. And I waited until my family were all in the one place. They lived all over Australia, so I'll wait until they were at a gathering, all in the one place, and I hit send. It was like dropping a bomb. They absolutely lost it. But they were not physically in the same city, so I was a little bit protected by being able to, you know, not answer the thousands of phone calls coming through.
Speaker 1: But what was.
Speaker 2: Even more diabolical was how Jake reacted. He was in my living room.
Speaker 1: I said, we.
Speaker 2: Can finally be together. I've told my family, like we can be in the open. We don't need to hide it. Let's just move forward, Let's do this. I felt, finally we're free, and that weight had lifted off my shoe, that tight feeling that you have when you're not speaking your truth, it was released. He turned to me and said, what did you do that for? I don't love you anyway. My body just crippled. I was in so much shock, like it really felt like being shot in the heart. And so within an hour I had put a chasm between myself and every single person in the world who I cared about.
Speaker 1: And I said, you don't mean that. I stood up and tried to hug him.
Speaker 2: I tried to beg for the love I suppose he wasn't ready to give.
Speaker 1: He wasn't ready to give that commitment.
Speaker 2: He didn't mean it deep down. It was such a mirror. It was such a mirror. It was me who didn't love myself. It was like I thought the weight would be lifted by telling my family the objective truth, but really I was still lying to myself.
Speaker 1: And that was the conversation that ended.
Speaker 2: It well sort of after that, and then began, I guess the great untangling, because throughout the period of time there had been so much on and off we were on, then we were off, and then it was a secret, and then it wasn't. I wasn't the person to end it. I really admire women who can end it and then just go no contact. I wasn't able to do that with him. The energetic connection in the chemistry was too strong. Fortunately, I really loved my job and it gave me a focus of I knew where to go each day and I could be on. If I didn't have that, I would have really spiraled into a deep depression, because I was spiraling that way anyway. But I still needed to get out of bed, have my shower, get to work, And for a long time, it was going through the motions of just getting through the next day, and it was a game of can I go through today without texting him? All I was thinking about was texting him. I would hope that I would see him. I'd be checking my phone to see if he texted me, and then double checking that I hadn't gone through one of the blocking him.
Speaker 1: Periods, And it was all I thought about.
Speaker 2: And I would write a little diary when I got home from work, going okay, if I go to the gym, and then I make my dinner and then I watch my show, then I can go to bed. And if I just follow that list, I won't text him. It was one of those things where you know what is good for you. I was very low in willpower. I was feeling very, very depressed. I was questioning my intuition. You know how they say, you know, this is why they've got to trust your gut. But to myself, I had trusted my gut and I'd chosen this person, So what does that say about my gut? That's why we kept having these rendezvous because I guess both of us couldn't keep away from each other. There was one day when my building manager said, oh, we found your boyfriend's license. Because they weren't quite up with what was going on in the relationship. They didn't know that we'd entered it. I said oh, and she handed me his license and I said, where did this come from? And she said, oh, it was dropped outside, dropped outside the door. So he had been at the door of my apartment without me knowing. He's either left the license on purpose, or was drunk and it just or something. It just fell out and it was there. So this is what also happened over that period. There was a series of him being around me without me knowing there was once he messaged me and said, you look really right in pink, because I was wearing a pink shirt to work that day, but I hadn't seen him. It was this weird he was there without me knowing, and for a while I was bringing home random men to have someone else in my apartment in case he turned up. I was also airbnb hosting at the time, which was fantastic, like there was the safety and security of having other people in the house, and so in the months following we would still catch up from time to time. I told him I was moving on started dating other people, and it became so toxic that he would even drop me off at dates with other men and then pick me up at the.
Speaker 1: End of it.
Speaker 2: It was like, we can't be together, but it was just those pockets of not being able to be away from each other, and he allowed it because I guess he knew without stepping forward to claim me, there was nothing he could do. But then, of course that was just my attempts to forget about him.
Speaker 1: This went on for months until one day when he picked Scarlet up from work. Something in who just switched.
Speaker 2: I looked at him with that different feeling, was like it wasn't the same person. It was like some sort of energetic cord had been cut and I was able to let it go. It became very clear that I didn't want the answers because finding out the truth with him was not what it was about. Because the resolution happened with me where I was able to feel like I got what I needed and I got the closure I needed. For the first time, I wasn't attracted to him. I felt a bit of disgust. Actually, I just looked at him, and he's a beautiful man.
Speaker 1: In that moment, I.
Speaker 2: Just saw he was a bit bedraggled. I think he had a bit of sauce on his shirt or something like. This happened to us all, you know, and it just gave me the ick. I'd never throughout all of this scenario, I never ever ever got the ick, But in that final time I saw him, I did, and I just breathed this sigh of relief and I thought, Yep, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I'm truly done. And that was the last time I ever saw him. Jake didn't give up easily, hundreds of calls and texts followed, all of them ignored as Scarlet stayed focused on what mattered most, making amends with her family. The next day was when I had the conversation to say, look, this is what's happened. And I was leaning at that time really into what I was being told about myself. It was a lot of self loathing, a lot of yes, I'm an idiot, I know I'm stupid, and I'm sorry, and I just things are over now, and things started to repair, the relationship with my family was quite rocky, as you can imagine, for a while before it started to build back up. And it might sound like my family has this strong hold over me, and it wasn't like that at all.
Speaker 2: It was really just normal, concerned family. I was going to do what I wanted to do anyway, which I clearly did. They were the voice that I had deep inside that I was ignoring and didn't want to listen to myself about. This is why it hurt so much, because they were saying out aloud the very thing I was needing to tell myself. I felt so ashamed, I felt so embarrassed. I felt it changed the whole way I looked at myself. I'd always felt that I was this confident, expressive speaker, and that completely broke my whole self identity. I became an salute man, hating be arch. I remember I was at a bar after work, and where I worked was actually close to the hospital. So I'm at the bar and there's this quite nice looking guy and he said, oh, hi, how are you going? And said, oh hi, how are you and what do you do? Probably not the best opening line, but hey, you know that's what came up. And he said, oh, I'm a doctor, and I said that's what they all left and say, and then like walked off. So the poor man must have been like, far out, what is wrong with that woman?
Speaker 1: So I was very.
Speaker 2: Skeptical and for a long time was going into situations wanting to have the upper hand and not believing anything. I would verbally say in the shower every day, Oh fuck, I hate men or psychopaths, narcisst misogynists like I was really like that, and I had to change that thinking. I had to change that thinking because if I believed that I was never going to find connection with someone, so a lot of it was rewiring my beliefs around, there are good men, there is something to believe in, you can have connection. It's very funny because my current partner actually did work for a national intelligence agency. So when when we met and he sort of told me on the you know, the second meeting, I was like, you're joking, Like, what is it with me in the intelligence community? This has never been anything intentional? He doesn't now, but it was. You find out, it's kind of quite boring. The way that Jake painted it was much more exciting now.
Speaker 1: I bet you're wondering whether Scarlet actually did get to the bottom of Jake's career. Dear listener, I realized that my desire to get to the bottom of what happened was more the journalist in me coming out wanting to give people the end of the story, rather than me wanting it for myself. It was more like I felt like this public service. It's more I felt like this community service that I needed to find the end so I could give all the people who were hanging on the edge of their seats the end of the story. And it wasn't about that I'd receive the lesson that I needed to and me going down that rabbit hole would have not helped me. It would have distracted me from getting on with my life, from my work, from meeting someone else. It would have just become me going right down into that never ending abyss. Because I thought about do I reach out to the ex girlfriend and things like this, I thought, no, what will it serve? I started writing a book called The Spy Who Shagged Me and my book is actually called voice Print. But I was like the Spy who Shagged Me and I wanted to record it. But then I thought, would the process of writing this book help me or hinder me? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Speaking about the story, sharing about what happened, sharing the feelings from my own perspective, the lessons that I learned. That has been healing and that has been helpful. But getting to the bottom of who he is and what he does, I just thought wouldn't be a great use of my time or energy. To this day, I don't know where he is, I don't know what he does, I don't know if he's still a doctor. But I'm okay with that because I understand myself better. I know who I am, I know the truth of what I stand for, and that's way more important than getting to the bottom of his life. I don't know why he lied, and I don't know if he even knows the truth of what he does or who he is. I've never felt love and attraction like that since that relationship, and I have a lot of gratitude to him for being able to experience that feeling. And I also believe that feeling was so closely linked to the danger and deception of the relationship. I had those highs because I had those incredible lows. It was dangerous, it was risky, and that's what potentially gave me that feeling. And I believe with relationships now you do have a choice of what kind of relationship you want. The relationship I'm in gives me incredible peace and stability and reliability. There's not the peak high as I suppose, as you could describe with that previous relationship, but there are also not those lows. It's very stabilizing. It's a great foundation, and that can be a hard pattern to recognize if you're used to being in relationships where it.
Speaker 1: Is those.
Speaker 2: High highs we go chasing that again. I like feeling safe and secure and cared for in a relationship. I can totally be myself. I can speak my truth. I never feel like I have to filter what I'm going to say before it. I can be open with my friends and family, and the relationship is a real foundation to live the life I want to live and do the things I want to do, rather than being this all consuming focus in my life. Because I look back at that time and I can tell you objectively other things that I was doing, but he was the only thing that was taking up all of my emotional headspace.
Speaker 1: But every dark cloud has a silver lining, and this one will. It led to a brand new career path.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful for that experience because it's what taught me that there is a huge difference between speaking with confidence and speaking your truth. And now as a voice and speaking coach, I serve my clients so much better because I'm not just about the surface level speaking tips. I really know what it truly means to speak your truth and to find your voice. So without that experience, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now, and I'm incredibly grateful for it, which I'm able to many years later in the moment, not so much now. I honestly feel nothing but gratitude for the situation. It really was something that happened for me, not to me. When these things happened at the time, you can feel like such a victim.
Speaker 1: How could they do this to me? How could this happen to me? I went and saw a counselor with all this, and.
Speaker 2: I was feeling, oh my gosh, like this is terrible, and was saying.
Speaker 1: He lied about this and lied about that, and she said, oh, yes, I just had somebody in with a similar situation. I said, sorry, what she was like, yes, happens more than you think. And then since that happened, and I have told the story to friends and family that I meet, everyone seems to have a similar story about someone lying similar to this circumstance, and so I don't feel special that having happened to me. In fact, now I feel incredibly grateful for the experience, grateful to have met him, to have known him.
Speaker 2: He's definitely played a role in my journey, and I would not be able to be the coach that I am today without that experience. I can definitely work on a much deeper level with an understanding that I wouldn't have had I'd put all of my energy and pinned all my hopes on this person being my husband, being the father of my children. And I've learned about relationships that it's really less about the other person and more about yourself, understanding what you want, loving yourself, having compassion for yourself. And I am absolutely thriving now. I have a successful business, I have a beautiful partner. I've chosen not to get married or have children. I feel very independent, and any young women who are getting into relationships, I feel absolutely qualified to be able to give them advice on what to do. And it's always listened to your own inner voice. Don't look for someone else to complete you, look at how you yourself can be completed. And if something happens in a relationship, it's always a lesson.
Speaker 1: It's often a mirror. It's giving us the opportunity to learn.
Speaker 2: More about ourselves. And that's why I say relationships and time with people is never wasted. It is if you stay there for too many years. But if you can appreciate that interaction and learn those lessons, then you'll end up being much further ahead in your own life. I had been on radio and TV all through my twenties, really confident speaking, and I thought that made me a really.
Speaker 1: Confident communicator, but it didn't.
Speaker 2: It was the relationship that taught me to truly find my voice. I had to learn what the truth was. I had to learn how to use my voice in all areas of my life, not just professionally. In my book, I talk about finding your FMV moment, So people think, oh, fuck my voice, but FMV is a find my voice. Where is that find my voice moment? We often reflect on the time when we lost our voice, so we were embarrassed or we didn't speak, but this is going back and going when did we speak? And for me, that relationship was my FMV moment.
Speaker 1: Everyone has an Ex's a MINTI Media production and proudly part of the Mum and mea network. This interview was conducted and episode narrated by me Georgia Love and was written and produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momameia dot com dot au. You can support us by following the show in your favorite podcast app and leaving us a five star review. We'll see you for the next episode.