Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Lean in close, friends, drop your voice. I'm going to talk about something we're not supposed to talk about in a way I wouldn't dream of doing if there were people under thirty round, or my teenage daughter, or even my very best self. But I've asked her to step out of the room for a moment so that I can be truthful, unvarnished about something we're really not supposed to say. I still struggle with my weight. You're laughing now. I can feel it because you're thinking, well, who doesn't. You're thinking, I've had years of that, decades of wasting hours and days of my life, probably worrying about the circumference of my thighs, the softness of my chin. How many roles can be tucked away into the waistband of a helpful g You're also laughing now because you're looking at whatever version of me you might have seen out there in the world, and depending on your own relationship with your own body, you're thinking I'm right or wrong to worry about it. You're holding yourself up against that imagined version, and you're making judgment calls because we all do that. We all still do that, We're just not allowed to say so. Generation X, I'm often told by my younger friends and colleagues, are toxic about weight. We were marinated in diet culture and cooked up in a world where women talked about being on a diet constantly, unthinkingly, as if it were a perpetual state of womanhood. We could tell you what Jennifer Aniston had for lunch for eight years straight, and what Oprah had to give up, which was eating by the way to drag that infamous wagon of fat across a TV soundstage, and we counted points and mercilessly cut out entire food groups. We lived through Kate Moss SI zero, just as our mothers had lived through the Dawn of Twiggy. We used words like slimming when it came to colors and cuts, and we positioned ourselves at the middle back of all group photos, safety in numbers when it came to hiding our true shape. Now we know better, We see the damage that it did. All that relentless self critique of being at war with our bodies, The vicious inner critic targeting our very flesh and the young people who have their own battles to fight against the perfect, filtered, smooth, shrunk bodies of Instagram, every bit as toxic as the airbrush magazine version, but now cloaked in the language of health and self care have taught us not to ever ever talk about it. But just as we know better and try to make friends with ourselves, a new era starts. Hormones shift and so does our shape. All those tricks, the good ones and the bad ones we've learned to keep ourselves in a bracket of fears. Okay about our bodies have stopped working, and a redistribution is upon us also now it really is about health. It's not a lie or a smoke screen to say that, somewhere in mid we realize that what we want to live long and well is a body we don't need to love, but we need to work all that. To say, in my hushed tones that it's okay, friends, that we're all a bit fucked up about this. It's okay that we're still figuring it out as proper grown up women. How to remove emotion and judgment from what really are merely numbers and facts. You're safe here. It's okay. Hello. I'm Holly Wainwright and I am Mid, Midlife, mid Family, mid Mouthful. Welcome back to Mid. This is season six, and we are so happy to have you with us. We're doing something a bit different this season on MID. We are unpacking your dilemmas. You might have heard me do an episode about this with Marian Keyes in season five, where basically you sent in your problems big and small and we unpacked them together. It was so popular and we enjoyed it so much that we decided to do that as our theme for episode six, but on lots of different topics, so all things sex and relationships and faces and family and today about weight. Some of these episodes are going to sound a bit different to the ones you might be used to. Some of them are going to have a big, long thinking introduction like today's because I just couldn't help myself, but that will pour out of me. But sometimes we're going to get right down to business. But always, this season of Mid is going to be all about you, You and us and Mid and as I just confessed, I am as messed up about my body. As the next woman, But I've been trying to make friends with her for the longest time, and there's a woman in my orbit who at times has helped me do that while never trying to turn me into someone else, that is, someone who doesn't like food. Susie bar is a dietitian, and a few years ago she helped me lose a significant amount of weight after my doctor told me I should Many many of us have been in that doctor's appointment, right. Susie has all the qualifications that a lot of people shouting about weight management on social media do not, and she also has a very agnostic, practical attitude to this topic. She also knows about all the new developments in food world. Yes we're talking about GLP one's the new world of weight loss medications. And she knows that most women don't have loads of time for meal prepping and would probably still like to have a glass of wine or a piece of cake or a plate of dips sometimes to make life a little less. So I knew that Susie was the phone a friend I needed to help us answer your dilemmas about body, food and weight at this stage of our lives. Of course, I need to tell you that as we answer these dilemmas, you should never embark on any sea significant change to your diet or make any decisions about medication, weight management, or otherwise without seeing your doctor. The information discussed in this episode is not intended to replace professional medical advice. And also, this conversation is general and does include a few numbers. If any of that is triggering or difficult for you, I will not be offended if you skip this episode and links to organization who can help with any disordered eating issues in our show notes. But if you are here for the honest body chat, welcome to the Dilemma Couch. Susie Burrell. Susie, I couldn't think of anyone better to answer these dilemmas with me, because you're the person I text when I have dilemmas about these kind of.
Speaker 3: Things happen occasionally. I'm always happy to help her.
Speaker 2: I'm always happy to help just occasionally. So our first question from a mid listener, she says, I've always been a little over the weight that my doctor would like to say see me at As I've gotten older, it's gotten harder to shift a few kilos or so when I need to well I think we all hear you there and the scales of creptop. Now friends are telling me to get on the weight loss jabs. Those are her words, the weight loss jabs. But here's the thing. I love food. I love little treats. I love a glass of wine. My appetite, while it's not out of control, is part of my personality. To me, I don't want to become a different person. I don't want to remove a pleasure from my life. There are few enough pockets of joy with caring for my family and working hard. But I feel like I'm being guilted into this option that everyone is talking about. I guess the first place we have to go there is here's a woman who sounds kind of very normal in inverted commas, and that it is harder for all of us to shift weight as we get older. And if you're someone who has always loved little treats, should she address this first of all?
Speaker 3: First of all, it's complicated, as so many things are.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: First, the first thing I gleaned off that case study for whatever better word, is the focus on weight. Now, working with women, as I have for almost thirty years now, I really don't focus a lot on weight. I really focus on waste measurement because waste measurement is so much more telling about what is going on with your health, particularly as we move into our forties and fifties and beyond and we have key hormonal changes.
Speaker 2: Why Why is that? Because so you literally saying, instead of standing on the scale, get a tape measure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, because it removes that whole idea of a number weight. Can you know, differ by as much as two kilos in a single day, It's not a really great measure. If you're stronger, if you've got more muscle mass, you're a more muscular frame, you'll be a heavier person. So some of those sort of standards we grew up with, wanting to be fifty kilos a're just never going to be relevant for some people.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of why people have started to question the idea of your BMI because they're like, it's not everybody. There isn't an ideal weight. We're so different and that we're learning more about it. Is that why.
Speaker 3: BMI is a population based measure to infer public health. It's not overly relevant for individuals. So for my women and I am a clinician I see women every week. I'm looking at a couple of key measurements. I'm looking at what I call where your small waist is, because for anyone who's had kids, you'll know your kind of waiste drops down a little bit. So I'll do the sort of leanest, tightest part which in a younger female maybe rand your belly button still and I do ideally you want it to be less than eighty centimeters. So that's the first measure, and then I'll get my ladies to do a second, which is what I call your lower waist. Now, for some of us that may be a hip, it may be where if you've had a C section, your weight's kind of moved down to and really we do want that to be less than ninety So that straightaway tells me so much metabolically what's going on with my clients and indirectly can be linked to where the people may need medical weight loss support.
Speaker 2: Why does why are those numbers more important than a number on a scale, and also what does that tell you? What does that waste number tell you? As an expert?
Speaker 3: That is telling me how well your insulin and glucose regulation is, and what we know as you go through perry and menopause, as we naturally lose our estrogen or it declines, we're more likely to deposit weight centrally. It also is indicative of those who may be at higher risk of diabetes or insulin resistance, which would suggest weight loss may be more difficult and in turn maybe down the track or require medical weight loss support. So it tells us so much. It also tells you if you're losing body fat, if you are trying to lose weight, because you can go and be on a calorie deficit or starve yourself or have a low carb diet, and you see the scales going down, But if your waist isn't going down, you're probably wasting muscle mass, which is the worst thing we can do as we get older because we want more muscle mass. So if my clients, I don't care if the scales don't go down, and certainly I have clients who are weighing themselves. I don't weigh them. I do everyone virtually, so it's up to them. But I want the waist down because if the waist is down, it's indicative of body fat loss.
Speaker 1: So it's a much.
Speaker 3: Better measure of what's going on with your health and your metabolism and basically optimizing body composition, because that's what it is for women in our forties and beyond. It's about building a healthy body that is functional. As we get into our seventies, our eighties, our nineties. You know, these generations of women will hopefully live old. You know we're going to be around long time. We need these bodies to be functional. So it's not about a weight on the scale. It's about functional fitness where you carry your weight, if you're still mobile and protecting your joints, more than just a number on the scales.
Speaker 2: Can I just ask you before we move on to the more emotional side of our what our listeners asking us. Everybody says this about you as you get older, muscle mass really important? Don't lose muscle mass? Don't lose muscle mass? Why is it important? Like for the people like me who don't really understand science, maybe should have taken more biology at school, Like why and particularly as you get older, is it really important that you're not losing muscle mass?
Speaker 3: Muscle mass is our metabolically active tissue. It burns calor is basically so it keeps our body healthy, but it keeps our body strong because if you think about what issues as we get older, we fall over, we have brittle bones. If you've got more muscle mass, or preserve your muscle mass, your body will be stronger. You'll be able to eat more, as our listener is talking about, because it actually burns calories, whereas you can if fat mass doesn't do anything, it's just dead weight. Really now, we do need some, but it's not got the metabolic benefits. It basically burns and processes our glucose. So the more muscle mass you have, the better it is for hormone control, for burning more calories, for keeping our bodies strong, to be able to lift heavy things as we get older, to be able to climb stairs, go downstairs and not fall, you know, hold on to things. You know, if you go to fall and you've got a strong bone and a strong muscle, you're more likely to be able to protect yourself as you fall.
Speaker 1: All those little things which are much more important.
Speaker 2: One of the things I think about a lot as I'm moving into my fifties. You don't want to move like an old person and inverted comments, I mean even just like having to dash for something, not having to think twice about going upstairs or walking here or doing that, or just like moving in a fluid, fast kind of way. This is what we're talking about, right, is like being able to do all that for longer rather than being we can debilitated.
Speaker 3: Picking up your grandkids term you know, carrying heavy shopping bags and not having to worry and.
Speaker 2: Being able to keep doing things you like, like if you love running, for example, and heaps of women in our mid age bracket hair will be runners or whatever it is that they love doing, like being able to do that.
Speaker 3: For longer, travel and go hiking for days at a time, walking for long periods of time, being able to stand on one leg and put your stockings on right, So all of these functional.
Speaker 1: Movement, and that's what it's about.
Speaker 3: It's getting your body fitter and healthier as you move through the lifespan. So the weight, for me, it's not a massive factor. It's much more about what's going on in your body composition and getting you as functionally fit and lean in a way as possible so your body's better able to age gracefully.
Speaker 2: All right, Obviously, our listener wants to talk about weight loss. She's calling them, we will call them what they're correctly called, which is medical weight loss. Correct Now, everybody knows what we're talking about when we're talking about that. I'm going to say a couple of brand names here. If you're wondering why we're not just saying them, it's because the regulations around this are type as they should be. Right, we're talking about medical weight loss injections like o Zempic, like Manjaro. You would have heard about these right now. You know a lot about this, SUSI. So I'd love to know because a couple of years ago, if a woman is in her midlife like me, and you're thinking, I do want to reduce that waste size, I want to lose some weight, I want to get in better shape, whatever it is. We're talking about diet and exercise now, and this is what's happening to this listener. Everybody's telling her, like her mates are telling her, get yourself to the doctor, get yourself on the japs. That's what everybody's saying, right. And the thing is is I know that it's not I know that it's not that simple, but it's certainly much more mainstream and widespread than it was a couple of years ago. Our listener is worry that she'll suddenly not want to eat it at all, and it's a massive pleasure in her life now. I know because I've worked with you before, that you actually take into consideration when you work with women, like is it important to you to have little treats? Is it important to you that you have that glass of wine on a Friday night? Is it what? Blah blah blah. Our listener is almost worried that she's not going to be herself if she does try this medication. What's your experience.
Speaker 3: I think the thing about medical weight loss is we don't necessarily understand what it is. So I'll try and explain it in as simple terms as possible, because for me, it's very much linked to metabolic variables. It's not a decision of whether or not you should try it or want to, it's whether you need to. So the GOLP one range of medical weight loss are basically working in two key ways. They work on the hormonal system that regulates glucose and insulin metabolism in the body, and they control food noise and appetite due to changes in digestion, so they basically slow down the movement of food through the digestive track.
Speaker 2: You hear people saying I have always thought about food and it's been a battle, and suddenly it's just not there. That drive is not there.
Speaker 1: For those individuals.
Speaker 3: But it's not a matter of whether I want it or not. It's whether you, as I said, whether you need to. Because first of all, if you're looking at relatively small amounts of weight. Now, so for example, I've talked in waste measurement, if your wist is under ninety or you've got a handful of kilos five or ten, as a dietitian, I would not be even suggesting anything like that unless you were predisposed to diabetes, you'd had gestational diabetes or insulin resistance, which is a clinical issue that may require clinical management. But as a dietitian, I would always try and do it with diet and exercise calories in optimizing metabolism for all those things. Now, once you're getting too people with metabolic issues so pre diabetic, they have insatiable appetite, they're carrying twenty thirty forty kilos, it may be a viable option, but it's not just a decision you make overnight. Start because the thing people don't understand is not a matter of just taking a jab. You have to change your diet, exercise, or they don't work. They just mask appetite for short periods of time and then as soon as you come off them, you just go back to your old habits. So we always like to focus on diet and exercise and lifestyle first. And as you know, if you work with a great dietitian and I must stress, please pay and see the right professionals. You know, everyone's an expert. Every influence is out there. Please make sure you see. If you need a psychologist, see a psychologist. If you need weight loss support, see a dietitian. For this reason, because you're dealing with people who will create sustainable models. So for me, I know that my women love to have a glass of wine and like to have a cheeky chocolate every now and again. So my job is to formulate plans that suit them and are sustainable. Because people think seeing having a diet is about restriction, it's not. A good diet will be something you can follow forever and as such will factor in eating out, it will factor in wine and things that you like. So coming back to the listener, in terms of her dilemma, I think the question is more where where is she sitting? In terms of is it a few kilos, Well, you probably can see a good dietician and sort it out. If it's more serious than that, and there is some high insulance, some high glucose, your waist is over ninety or one hundred, you're carrying twenty thirty kilos, it is possibly something that you could consider, but not before you sort of started the journey.
Speaker 1: And there's other options.
Speaker 3: First, because ten years ago, when we didn't have all these golp one medications targeting these issues, there were other options we use with people that were not perhaps as aggressive. And you know, they're quite an investment financially as well. So you know, I've got all ranges of clients. I've got clients who have used them from the start. I've got clients who have lost five or ten and then started it for a short period of time. But ultimately they are all working on the same thing, which is developing a sustainable model of eating, with or without that support. And yes, in answer, they do kill the food noise a little bit They certainly mean that you don't feel like craving and governed by food.
Speaker 1: But it's not like you can't have a glass of wine or things like that if you don't want to.
Speaker 2: So she's not. It's funny because I think that because there is so much media out there about this at the moment, you're reading headlines all the time of like I became more successful, I became better in bed, I became listening or whatever. It is, like I suddenly didn't want to drink, I didn't want to do this, I didn't want to argue with my partner. I didn't want to do anything I would like. It's like everyone's talking about it like that. You're making it clear. You get back to the basics. This is a medication. You see a professional for it. It's not going to be a magic bullet. It's not going to turn you into someone else, but it might be helpful if you need it. Is that kind of what you're saying.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, And I only ever used it as a tool as part of the process because in my experience, for every ten people who have had them, eight it's are unsuccessful because they haven't committed to the lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Changes required.
Speaker 3: Either they use it as a short term solution to kill appetite, waist muscle mass, and inevitably they put all the weight back on again.
Speaker 1: So they're a tool to.
Speaker 3: Be used as part of a whole lifestyle approach and for the right person, and they can be incredibly effective, but there's certainly a serious medication and need consideration. It's not something you just pop in and have a job and think glory.
Speaker 1: Problems are solved.
Speaker 2: After the break. Susie gives us advice on another dilemma about a woman who wants to know exactly what clean eating is and weather she should be doing. Okay, here's another one. My daughter has become obsessed with clean eating. She's got clean and inverted commas. She's twenty four. She's never exhibited disordered eating or struggled with her weight that I know about, but now she reads every label in her house, refuses to eat most of the things I cook for dinner. When she comes over pasta, our listener says what's wrong with pasta and tells me I'm killing myself in inverted commas and dad with processed food and chemicals. She seems to be spending a fortune on everything organic and macro and all kinds of supplements I've never even heard of. Is this fashion or is she right? Is there such a thing as clean eating? And should I be looking into it or talking her out of it? That's interesting because it is true that there's sometimes it feels like there's a division in the world between people who you know, they look at what you're eating and they're like, all of that's toxic and you're like, what, I didn't know that what? And then there's people who like, I don't know, what do you think she should do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it's dependent on the age of the child, isn't it, Because if she was sixteen, I would approach this very differently to a fully grown adult, which I would say have very limited control over.
Speaker 2: But you know, she wants to kind of understand it.
Speaker 1: So clean eating.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a term coined by a US physician back in the nineties who caught it authorexia, And whilst it's not a clinical eating disorder like bulimia and arexia, it's certainly disordered eating and some of the common themes of that are obsessed with all things healthy, you know, maintaining quite a low body way, often nutrient deficiencies, very restrictive, often minimizing social occasions, to avoid eating in social situations, and that's a key marker of certainly clinical eating disorders, and you know, making it difficult to live what we would describe as normally. You know, she's not being able to easily integrate into the family. So the thing that I thought when I had these briefing notes about this case study, if it had been my child, I would say, well, don't expect me to cook.
Speaker 1: If you're coming over it, you can cook all the that you want, I know.
Speaker 2: But I think the one of the things our listener is saying is that when someone and obviously someone very important to you, suddenly takes a like a like a detour like this, it makes you look at your own behavior because suddenly you're like, oh, is she right? Am I killing myself with pastor? Is half our food toxic? It feels like something that people are talking about more.
Speaker 3: And more certainly, And I think that clinically, the concern I would have is what's underlying that dry because usually not in all cases, but usually there's an underlying anxiety, sense of control. You know, some mental health aspects I'd be concerned about. And whilst as the mum, she may not be the right person to say you need to see someone, so certainly, in my clinical experience, it's an underlying anxiety coming out in the food and the need to control, and really encouraging that person to seek psychological support because it's a secondary symptom of that need for control. But in aren't so absolutely not. You know, food isn't clean and dirty. It doesn't quite work like that. I think it comes down to that people inferring a sense of superiority or virtue from eating in a certain way, and it just doesn't work like that. We don't get to the end of the big white gates at the end and you said you've been eating way too much process I mean, you go down here.
Speaker 1: Just doesn't work like that.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, food the way we choose to eat. And I often say this in regards to whether you choose to eat vegan or vegetarian or not, you know, farm fish, whatever it is. That's a personal choice, but it's important to understand that, you know, it's basically common sense. You know, there's foods that are less processed and more natural they're going to be pretty good for us, and foods that are more process but by the sounds of it, it's the issue is perhaps the translation of obsession with all things healthy, and I'd be sort of worried about the daughter's mental health, anxiety and whether she might need some support in those areas.
Speaker 2: Do you tell your clientele to try and eat as close to whole food as possible, like, because even if you're not going as far as this lady's going, there's a lot of chat about process food. There's no question we're eating a lot more of it. Generally speaking. You read an ingredient list and none of it makes any sense, do you generally I remember you saying to me years ago when I was talking to you for a story, and you said, really, one of the things you tell people to do for healthy data is eat more vegetables. I always think about that because you were like, it's that simple, really, Like, but do you do you have a sort of position on process food or do you just think we need to make it more simple?
Speaker 3: I the position I have is the less ultra processed snack type food we consume, the better, Yes, but processed food is all around us. You know, vegetables, past, yeah, tin fish, So it's more that ultra process food. And I would say in my one on one consults with individuals, I'm always focused on what I want them to do, so I don't really spend a lot of time saying you shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: That or avoid that.
Speaker 3: I'm much more about where's your vegetables, where's your carbon protein balance? You know, because these are the things that I have to say to my clients every single day. They're not getting those basics right, let alone worrying about the other. But as a theoretical position, the less of that ultra process food. If I'm in a shop and I pick up something that's got an ingredient list a mile long, I'll certainly be putting it back and encouraging my clients not to consume that, because that's where the evidence in terms of health. You know, it's ultra processed foods, which have fake ingredients to make something high protein or high fiber. It's not whole natural foods. That's where you see all the numbers. They're ingredients we don't have in our kitchens at home. They don't act like regular minimally processed food. We don't feel as full when we have them. We don't recognize the hunger and satiety. We don't get the nutrition. So, for example, if you have one of those low carb high protein snack bars, you don't feel as full as you would if.
Speaker 1: You had a yogurt and nuts.
Speaker 3: Even though nutritionally it might have a similar amount of carbohydrate, protein, and fat, it operates differently metabolically, So that's the issue with it when it comes to our overall health. You don't get the same nutrients from it. You don't process it in the same way, so even though it looks the same, it's absolutely not. So that's the best take home message I think, you know, if you're going to and what I'll say to my clients about foods that we describe as treat type food, so chocolate or you really like a biskit crisps, whatever it is. But I always say to my clients, I want you to have the one that you love the most, you know, like, do you love an ic ovo or is it really a timtam? And if that's the thing you love, really isolate that right down to the thing that you really enjoy, rather than just seeing it all as good and bad and I'm going to have a bad day in eating all the rubbish. So it's sort a quality. But you don't need a degree in nutrition. Just check the ingredient list and if it's really long, it's probably not great for you.
Speaker 2: Can I just ask you on that thing where you just said about high protein, low carb whatever. Protein's so hot right now? Right everything in the supermarket that I'm picking up says more protein, high protein, protein, protein, protein. I'm like, how they're getting the protein and all this stuff? Is that nonsense? Or is that real? What about so with bread and yogurt? With so? I mean, I know yoga is a form of like it's a good source of protein. Anyway, Is high protein yogurt a real thing? Or is that just more processed yogurt? And should it? So? Should I be choosing those things as a mid woman? Should I be choosing everything that says high protein?
Speaker 3: Definitely in the mid years, late thirties right through, we need women All of us metabolically need slightly less carbohydrate and more protein because of the natural changes in metabolism.
Speaker 1: So that is not a fad. That is a real thing.
Speaker 3: What is a fad is supermarket foods labeling protein like I saw protein chocolate the other day. Now, that is not good because basically you want the protein from as natural sources as possible. So in a food that already has it, so dairy, for example, great, if you can get a protein enriched great, it's going to just be a concentrated way in the yoga to give it a bit more So, the foods that I sort of reach for that might have sort of extra.
Speaker 1: Protein would be anything dairy.
Speaker 3: In bread's a little bit different because what they do in protein bread is they either fill it with seeds and grain or they concentrate the flour down. So it is quite a good product the pasta. But if it's ultra processed food that's got a protein on it, pizza not good, chocolate not good, chips not good.
Speaker 1: So process even processed snack bars.
Speaker 3: You know, you'll see a lot of pro bars are ultra kind of processed, and yes they're going to be better than picking up a macas when you're hungry, but they're still not as good as the nuts and the yogurt. So and I think anyone listening most of us know this to be true. But what we want is that we want to be told that you can eat the crap that tastes good and not feel guilty.
Speaker 1: And you can if you get good.
Speaker 3: Quality I don't want to say good quality crap, but if you get good quality, like get really good chocolate and enjoy it. You know, if that's your biscuit is the one that you love, have it, but doesn't mean you need to eat all the other crap biscuits. So you know, just really be specific about how you want to use your calories. So it's not about being restricted or told you can't have it. It's empowering you to make the decision how do you want to use your calories. And that might be on a past to feast once a week with your friends, great, go for it in a bottle of wine. But that also means you can't eat like that all week. It's just a balance and working out what balance suits you.
Speaker 2: Next, Susie tells us why our bodies, including our feet, can change shape once we hit mid Stay with us. I'm forty four and my body seems to have suddenly changed shape. We were getting to this before. I'm not talking about weight, although there's been a bit more of that around the middle. We're talking about this before too. I mean more bits of me that used to be toned now aren't. And even my feet are bigger than they used to be. What the hell is going on? And why aren't the healthy foods I've always counted on and the workouts I've literally been doing consistently for years suddenly not having the same results. Are there just different rules for health now I've crossed some invisible line into middle age? And she's written, Ah, no, one likes the term middle age. We don't do that. Hit. We've grown ups. That's what we call ourselves here. We're grown ups. Why is life so unfair?
Speaker 1: That's all I've got to say.
Speaker 2: No, this is she imagining it? Or are her feet bigger?
Speaker 1: This is absolutely real.
Speaker 3: And of course it was me or who launched this whole dialogue in the mainstream media. Like ten years ago, we weren't speaking about it.
Speaker 2: It is she said, this is really funny. I remember you liked at the time she was saying that suddenly my body wants to be a circle, And that was what you were saying before about just the way that your weight is redistributed in the mid years.
Speaker 3: Anyway, go on, Yeah, these are key metabolic and hormonal changes. We literally have no control over. A lot of it will be genetic as well. You're probably noticing you're looking a bit more like your mother. You know, we are human. There's only so many things we can control. But basically, as we get older, naturally, even as adults, we lose muscle mass. Keep in mind that all of our women are so busy. They're working two or three jobs, they're being mums at home, they're working full time, they're caring for aging parents.
Speaker 1: They're exhausted.
Speaker 3: So you know, very few of us have the privilege of exercising daily at the level we want to because we're surviving. So we do lose muscle mass, and then that's naturally happening anyway. And then as our estrogen declines, we just become more predisposed to depositing around the middle and then naturally diet wise, Holly, you know, we're not saying carbs are bad, but we do all eat too many of them for the amount of activity we're doing.
Speaker 1: Carbohydrate is a fuel source.
Speaker 3: That's why sixteen year old boys can eat five buckets apart. For us, you know, the diets are different, and I have this conversation a lot because when I start with a client.
Speaker 1: The mum will often say to me, I'm.
Speaker 3: Worried about eating differently to the family, and I say, well, you need different things to the family.
Speaker 1: You're not a sixteen year old school girl.
Speaker 3: That's really You're a forty five year old woman, and it's okay to call out that your needs are different.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you about that, because that is so interesting because I have worried about that over time when I've been doing different things with you know, trying to eat correctly for my stage of life, particularly when we have daughters. And I have a teenage daughter. I am hyper conscious, as most mums I know are, of not talking about weight and diets and calories in front of her, not talking myself down in front of her, so not being like, oh, look at me in these jeens all that. I try really hard not to do that, and most women I know do that too, And I think it's been really good because although I mean, I think Instagramazon don all the good work that we've done on that front. But on the other hand, at least they're not seeing it at home, so it is a genuine concern that you're going that they're clocking. But Mum isn't eating the pasta. Mom is eating the meat and the salad. Like, what do you advise us to how to talk about that without imparting? Like you know, dangerous is an overstated word, but like difficult messaging too, I think it's.
Speaker 3: Very I don't think it's difficult. I think it's simple. I, as a forty five year old woman, have very different needs to you you're sixteen. Yeah, I sit down on its coll It's not a big deal and it doesn't have to be complicated. Just deconstruct the meal. If you're doing pasta, put the pasta out, put the veggies and salad out, put the meat out, and just have different proportions.
Speaker 1: It's not making a whole new meal.
Speaker 3: No one's saying you have eat steamfish and brocoli while everyone is having pasta. Yeah, you just need a couple of spoons versus your teenage son who needs the whole plate.
Speaker 1: So I think just call it for what it is.
Speaker 3: Just we have very different needs and this is about women acknowledging that and saying that actually, I have needs to and this is what I need. And unless you are able to do a couple of our exercise in a genetically blessed like a supermodel. Guarantee you most of us will need far less carbohydrate at night because we like to go on the weekend and have the pizza and the wine with our friends and all the stuff then, so you just can't have it all the time. So it's making that choice. And yeah, it's just because we're less metabolically active. These are physiological facts. This is not diet culture. This isn't about restricting. This is just our bodies change and our needs are far far different, particularly as we get older, which is another reason to maintain muscle mass because basically it can eate more. The more muscle mass you've got, the more calories you're going to burn, so that works in reverse as well.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because I think that for a lot of women around my age, we have swum around diet culture for a lot of years. Right. We had the nineties when everyone was way thin, and then we were like had to be athletic, and then the Kardashians came along, and then everybody had to have big booties and whatever it was. You know, when I grew up, every advert on the TV talked about weight loss and calories in a very different way than they do now. It means that we there's so much emotion and value attached to all this that when you say to me, you should just talk about it like a normal person at the table that you want anything else, Like I don't need as much carbo hydrate as you because I'm a forty five Well I'm not. I'm a fifty three year old woman. That makes perfect sense, But for some reason, it's all just caught up in all this stuff in our minds that you're like, oh, I can't eat that naughty food, you know what I mean. Like, And it's kind of like, if you can just take the emotion out of it, it's just science, it's just facts.
Speaker 3: And what I would say is we get in our head a lot about it and just take it. And it's exactly what I say to my clients when we start, because they all too have years. They've I guarantee you, nine out of ten clients, I see you have done every diet in the book.
Speaker 2: They've been to every gym when they've fallen lost the.
Speaker 3: Way they've put it back on. They've probably been on weight loss medication. I've seen it all. Like that's why they end up finally with a dietitian. I say, just take each meal as it comes, don't get in your head, don't spend ours meal prepping, just breakfast. Where's my protein, where's my carb, where's my fresh food? Then wait, tillo hungry again, Just getting back to those cues because we're so in our head and influenced by social media, and we're not even listening to our bodies so many so feel my clients even know if they're hungry, they're just.
Speaker 1: Eating on autoqueue.
Speaker 3: I'll get food diaries back, and I do that because they can just be a great insight into what people are doing and understanding as opposed to a restriction model. And I'll say, my concern is that you're eating the same thing every single day. And they said to me, but it's on the plan, And I said, yeah, the plan is a guide, but you should have some difference. We shouldn't be hungry every single day the same level. Some days you're gonna be hungryer, some days less. Sometimes you've been out to dinner, you might not need breakfast. So yes, there's a basic guide, but it's also following our natural hunger and satiety, which will be different same as you'll feel like eating different things every single day. That's why I don't like people meal prepping for the week. How do you know you're going to want to have a stir for on Friday? You might want dumplings. So you're getting people back in touch with themselves, their natural body, what they like to eat, and reteach them hunger and fullness. And that takes time. It's an unraveling. And I say, you're in dietaryhab and this might take a while because you've had twenty thirty years of diet culture, and it may take three, six, twelve months.
Speaker 1: But I guarantee you after I've had them.
Speaker 3: For six they're getting back in touch with themselves again and feeling more confident in making those decisions.
Speaker 1: But everyone can do it. It's simple. Get your balance, more vegetables. Have you had your vegie today, Holly?
Speaker 2: For lunch, I had a veggie filled soup. I was like, Susie, I like this soup two to three cups.
Speaker 1: It has lunch in it too, protein.
Speaker 3: And you know, actually, how hungry am I? Do I need one slice of bread or do I need two? Rather than this? This is what I should eat? And then of course we're not happy with that and we end up eating the other rubbish anyway.
Speaker 2: So our listener who's like, suddenly things aren't working that have always worked for me, and it sounds to me like she's not just talking about way she's talking about it.
Speaker 1: You know, her body and training changes.
Speaker 2: She's imagining that.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not, and your nutritional requirements change. Things like calcium becomes so much more important. You know, I can't tell you how many of my girls come and they do have low bone density.
Speaker 1: So please listening.
Speaker 3: If you haven't had a bone density scan and you're in your forties, you must go and get that done.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye on your cholesterol.
Speaker 3: Actually, I read a really interesting research paper from Mericle Harbor who said one of the first indications of peri and menopausal changes is slight increases in LDL cholesterol.
Speaker 1: That is fascinating.
Speaker 3: Because you might have always had normal cholesterol and then suddenly you go in your forty two happened to and your LDL is a bit higher. Then you know your estrogen's probably dropping, and then you know it's time to go and speak to the GP about what options there are for you in terms of optimizing metabolic health so that's a really powerful marker. We should all be doing that. You know, check getting your bower screen as well. You know, one of the most common increases in cancer is bowel cancer. You know, be on top of all your checks, and then ultimately you probably will need to change your diet, so see a good dietitian. There's plenty of experts in this area out there, and you probably will have to change your training because you will find what you did the cardio of the nineties won't work anymore for a number of different reasons. When it can increase inflammation, and the peri and menopausal phases are pro inflammatory. So anything that's inflammatory in the body, like cholesterol, like fatty liver, like insulin, will all increase as we get older unless and there's a lot of dietary things we can do for that. But certainly your training will likely need to change, and that's where you can, of course get expert advice on that as well, so you don't keep you know, flogging a dead horse, doing the same thing and expecting the same results.
Speaker 2: Susie, I love talking to you. You just make it all seem so like common sense.
Speaker 1: Well I think I really I like to eat.
Speaker 3: I'm no purest, you know, I factor in treats, so I think that I and also I'm this age myself now, so I'm living it, and I just speak to hundreds and hundreds of women, and I think that you get you know, what works and what doesn't, but in a practical, sustainable way, because all of the women I speak too are tired, they're overwhelmed. They're working two or three jobs, so you don't want to make it another chore. And when they first come, they'll say to me, and then I should do this, and then I should do that. I said, let's just start with food, because I don't want to be adding more and more and more to overwhelmed, busy women. And then hopefully once you know, the kids get older and they get into their fifties and they get a bit more time, perhaps maybe before grandkids, to really you know, put that time and energy back into self and recalibrate, given that we might live to one hundred and we need to make sure these bodies are in good nick.
Speaker 2: So yeah, thank you so much. We will of course show our listeners where they can find out more about you and your podcast and all of your stuff in our show notes, But Susie, thank you so much for solving some dilemmas with me today.
Speaker 1: It's always so nice to see your whole Thank you, MIDS.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed that honest chat about food and weight and MID, I encourage you to scroll back in the feed. Last season, I had a really interesting conversation with a neurophysiologist called Louisa Nikola, about weightlifting, about protein, about all that stuff that meds are told to do. It's a bit of a different conversation to this one, but I think you'll find it really helpful. If you're not, if you're done with being told what to do, and told what you can and can't eat, and told what you should or shouldn't be doing with your body and your exercise, then mate, pour yourself something hot or cold that partickles you fancy, and put your feet up and just have a chill. Who cares? Life's hard anyway, Mids. If you have any dilemmas you would like us to address on this season of MID, do not hesitate. You can email us at help me at mamamea dot com dot au and just put MID in the subject line, or you can just DM me, or you can just DM the mid momamea account on Instagram. We would love to hear from you. The executive producer of MID is Nama Brown. The senior producer is Tylie Blackman, and we've had audio production from Jacob Brown. And we'll see you next week.