Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mumma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture. I'm Cassanna Lukisch. Welcome to Diary of a Birth. How would you like to give birth in the place you feel most comfortable, with all your stuff around and with as many loved ones on hand as you wish. Sounds pretty idyllic in theory, right. That's describing a home birth, a choice that less than one percent of Australian women make to bring their baby into the world. The Aussie figure is half that of British homebirths and only a third of New Zealand's number. Many members of the homebirth in community rave about them. And while a homebirth isn't for everyone and strict medical condition must be met to have one, home births like the mum we're meeting today, shout loudly and proudly about their experiences.
Speaker 3: Everybody is very shocked. If you say, oh yeah, I'm I'm gonna have my baby at home. They go, oh, what really, Oh, why would you want to do that? I'm thinking, why would you not want to?
Speaker 2: Today we're going to learn about a truly magical birth.
Speaker 4: I would describe my birth as healing, as magical, and absolutely perfect, just everything that I had hoped that it would be and more.
Speaker 2: A birth where Mum was able to tune right into her body and be a crucial part of the most special moment.
Speaker 3: One push, I was able to bring him up out of the water, and I remember when I reached down and saw his face. He was so stunned. He looked like a stunned mullet.
Speaker 2: And this mum was able to choose the guest list for her son's arrival, including a very special four year old helper.
Speaker 3: Having her there was the most beautiful thing. I needed her to know that women are so strong. We are so strong. What we can do is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: So let's meet today's supermom.
Speaker 3: Hi. My name is Casey and this is the diary of my birth with Brodie.
Speaker 2: Any city dweller who's dreamt of slowing life down a bit will envy Casey's laid back rural life that sounds a world away from the right race.
Speaker 3: Before I had Brodie, I was thirty years old and we live on our family's apple orchards, so we grow apples, peaches, nectrons. And our family's been here since nineteen thirty nine, so a pretty long time. We lived in the country out of the place is called Imbrellen Laurie for a few years before meeting back with my husband and our then six month old, and when he was two and a bit, we finally decided that it was time to add another to our little troop and complete our family, so we decided to have Brodie.
Speaker 2: Casey had long been fascinated by the idea of having Brodie at home on their farm.
Speaker 3: I knew very early on that I wanted to have a home birth with Brodie.
Speaker 2: It took her husband, Callum, some convincing.
Speaker 3: I talked to my husband and we talked about the implications of home birth. He was a little bit unsure. He's a paramedic, so he was a little bit unsure. But I was so so confident that I really, really really wanted a home birth and I wanted to experience that. So I applied as soon as I found out I was pregnant for number three, I applied to the Midway Free Group Practice Program at Wolligong and I was so fortunate enough to get in. So we're very lucky down here in that the Midway Free Group Practice Program does offer home birth. There's quite a few hoops that you do have to jump through to be allowed to homebirth, but I was lucky to pass all of the tests, I guess you can say, and my beautiful midwife and I worked towards our home birth.
Speaker 2: Casey's pregnancy was nice and mundane, exactly as she wanted it.
Speaker 3: I started off feeling a little bit sick, but after the twelve fourteen week market all settled down, I barely even knew I was pregnant. It was the first time I'd had a posterior placenta, which means that the placenta's at the front, So I felt his kicks and everything a little bit later than my others, which I was devastated about because I prided myself on feeling them really early, so I felt like I was waiting forever for that. I did start to get a little bit of back pain just from being on my feet all the time with two other little ones running around. But on the whole it was a very, very boring pregnancy. I like to describe it as so.
Speaker 2: While Casey was full steam ahead with her plan to homebirth, everyone shared her enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: Everybody is very shocked. If you say, oh, yeah, I'm I'm gonna have my baby at home, they go, oh what really? Oh why would you want to do that? And I'm thinking, why would you not want to? You're in your own space. We got to set up very lights, got to have real candles. I didn't have to have battery powered candles. I could have whatever music I liked playing. I was in front of our fire. We set up the home birth pool right in front of the fire, which Callum graciously pretty much rebuilt just for the birth because that's what I wanted. Then after you have the baby, you can be on your own lounge, you can be in your own bed, eating your own food. There's no hospital food to deal with.
Speaker 2: I think the question that most people grapple with around home birth is a bit one what happens if something goes wrong?
Speaker 3: The Midwifree group practice has a relatively low threshold for transferring to hospitals, so the minute anything looks like it's not going to go right. You do transfer to hospital, whether that is through you driving from your house to the hospital, or if something is going not very well, then you will get an ambulance, but that is very very very rare. And before you have the birth, they bring up the birth pool and a bunch of medications that are in the fridge, and they bring up a whole emergency kit to your house so that if anything does go wrong, everything is there that you'll need. And that made him feel a lot more comfortable because he could see that it was so prepared. And the statistics of people transferring to hospital with a home birth are very very low because things generally tend to go right in home births, very very luckily.
Speaker 2: With ninety seven percent of berths in Australia happening in hospitals, we're pretty limited with who is in the room sharing the experience. Most women are restricted to one birth in partner. But at Casey's place, she was able to surround herself with loved ones, including a very junior helper.
Speaker 3: You can have whoever you want there, So I had my beautiful mother in law, I had my sister in law, my now five year old. She was four and a half at the time, was able to be there. We talked about it a lot leading up to the birth. She wasn't quite sure if she wanted to be there. She thought that she would, but she was a little bit scared of whether she would like it or not. So before the birth, leading up to it, we watched lots of videos. We watched YouTube videos, and after she'd seen a couple, she didn't want to stop watching them. She wanted to watch more and more and more. And then after that she was so excited. So we actually woke her up to be part of the birth. She'd been involved in getting ready for it as well, like colecting all of my supplies that I wanted. She also painted beautiful birth affirmations and pictures for me so that we could stick them around the fireplace. It looked like a little pregnancy shrine. It was a really, really beautiful experience, and I wouldn't let anybody talk me out of it. I knew that it was definitely the right choice for me for this birth, for sure.
Speaker 2: So how do you prep to give birth at home?
Speaker 3: Getting ready for a home berth in the last month of pregnancy was a little bit crazy, particularly for me. I always leave things right up to the last minute. But my first two pregnancies, I had both of those babies like in the thirty eighth week, so I knew that I had to be ready for the thirty eighth week. I wasn't even sure if I would make it to them, so I knew that I had to get everything ready. So I was madly going to buy towels and my birth comb and making sure that I had a tens machine and essential oils that I could diffuse. I had beautiful, a beautiful diffuser going with my lavender oil because I love the smell of lavender padsicles. Getting ready for a home birth in the last month of pregnancy was It's a really nice introduction to the finish line, almost because you can have exactly what you want. You can make your space exactly how you want it, and it's not a shock. It's not a hospital room. It's not got bright lights, it's not got a bed right in the middle of the room, so you can be up and moving about. I knew that that's what I wanted. When I have my berths, I know that I want to be upright and I want to be moving and swaying and leaning over things rather than being on my back on a bed. That's the worst possible position that I could imagine being in giving birth. I love home birth.
Speaker 2: So along with Casey's daughter, there was another surprising guest of honor. Many women wouldn't be so keen for Casey, it was an easy choice.
Speaker 3: Some people might think it's weird that I had my mother in law there. We have the most beautiful relationship. She is like a second mother to me. She is also a midwife, so I am so so thankful that she was there. She is such a beautiful support. She's a beautiful woman, and she's absolutely incredible coming up and then all of a sudden, I can feel myself poohing, which was my biggest fear. I did not want to pooh in front of everybody. So for the few days before labor started, I was niggling. And for me, when I niggle, all three of my pregnancies have felt like period pain coming and going, so I knew that as soon as that started it was getting close. Except it happened for longer with this last pregnancy than it did with the other two. It was a good few days and then I might have had a day where I didn't niggle, and then another two days where I did. So it was probably like five days or so before that I was niggling for before I actually went into labor. The day that I went into labor, I think I woke up and I knew that something might be happening. I don't know how, you know, but I just knew. So we decided to go for a walk around our farm. And our farm has a little a few hills on it, so we were walking up and down the hills, and that whole time I was getting like Braxton Hicks type contractions, so not real contractions, just tightenings. They weren't painful at all, but they were there. So it got to five thirty six o'clock at night and I was still getting these regular tightenings. We were like, yes, it hasn't fizzled out. This is awesome. Let's just feed the kids and we'll get them into bed and hopefully then I'll do some bouncing on my birth ball and that might get things going and we'll really get into it. This is perfect timing. The kids will be asleep, particularly our middle one, because he wasn't planned to be there. So we got the kids fed, and halfway through dinner, Callum and I were eating and I'm going, ooh, these are I think I can start to feel there's a bit This is exciting. So we called my mother in law and we let her know, Hey, we think you might need to come up tonight. We'll let you know. But I'm just like starting to feel things. It's not painful at all. She could tell that I wasn't in pain, but she knew better because she'd seen me with the other two how quick they went. So she started to get ready to come up, and she's saying, would you like me to pick up Kirsten. That's my beautiful sister in law on the way, and we'll both just come up and if nothing happens, and we'll just have a cup of tea and go home. And that's totally fine. So another five minutes later, I called my midwife because I could start to feel it getting a little bit more intense, and the midwife's going, Okay, well, I'll call our second midwife and make sure that she's available, and we'll get out student midwife as well. And I'm going, oh, don't rush, like I'm only just starting to feel a couple of like tightenings every now and again. I think at that point they were not painful, but it was like every three or four minutes or something. They were relatively close together. So we hung up the phone, and my kids hadn't finished dinner yet, and everything started to get a little bit stronger. I'm going, callum, we really need to get these kids into bed. I think this is actually starting to happen. We were both getting really really excited then, so we got the kids in bed, luckily, just as it started to ramp up a little bit more. At this point, it's probably quarter to seven, and we've got the kids in bed, and we're starting to light the candles and bring all of my supplies. I had my mate sarge oils everything that I could possibly think of was in these three kmart baby storage caddies, and my mother in law and my sister in law came and I was still walking around, fluffing everything up, bouncing on the ball, having a great old time, going this is exciting. We're gonna have a baby soon, we think, and my sister in law goes, do you think we should blow up the birth pool?
Speaker 2: I'm going, nah, nah.
Speaker 3: It's still way too early for that. She's going, how about we just blow it up just in case, because the worst thing would be for you to want to get in the pool and it's not ready. And I'm going, oh, okay, can't hurt, Maybe we should blow it up. Well, in the next fifteen minutes, it really really ramped up, and my contractions started to get quite I wouldn't say painful, but they were definitely quite strong, and I was starting to need to almost breathe through them. The midwives, two midwives and my student midwife came. I think it was about seven forty that they came, and the birth pool was blown up and we'd started to fill it because, as I said, it was getting a little bit more intense. At about seven forty five, I was starting to really go inside myself and concentrate what I was doing, think about everything, thinking about how I'm breathing, and I was sitting next to the birth pool with my head on my hands, trying to concentrate.
Speaker 2: If you're wondering what a birth pool actually looks like, think of a giant kiddie pool, but it's a bit taller. I'm fascinated by how this actually works.
Speaker 3: You cannot imagine how slow the birth pool fills up, and it's got to be warm water, so when it comes out of a tap, it's not lukewarm, but it's not hot. It's not like boiling water is being poured into the birth pool. So it takes a long time, and you've got to make sure that you also have a continuous hot water system. We're very lucky we had that, or burns or some way of heating up the water. Otherwise you're going to have a cold bath to get into and if it's too cold, then labour stops. So it needs to be just the perfect temperature. So the birth pool is filling up so slowly, and I'm sitting on the edge of it on my berth ball. Then all of a sudden, my waters break. They go pop, and with all three berths. As soon as my waters break, the head just comes straight down and smacks onto my cervix, and that's when everything really happens. So sitting on the ball next to the berth pool, and my midwife is standing next to me, and she can see me watching the water rise so slowly, and she goes, don't watch the water. I'll tell you when it's ready, you just concentrate on what you're doing. She's got this beautiful calming voice and going Okay, just breathe, just breathe, just breathe. And then all of a sudden, she goes, Okay, the water is at the minimum fill level you can get in, and I'm going, oh, thank goodness for that.
Speaker 2: So by this time, it's almost eight pm. The kids are tucked up in bed. How very lucky for her, and this labor is moving.
Speaker 3: The song spirit Bird was playing by Xavier Rudd, and this song I don't know how it managed to happen, but this is a very special song for me. My cousin passed away when I was pregnant with my first baby, and Spirit Bird was like his song, like embodies him. He was this beautiful, beautiful, beautiful human. So Spirit Bird is playing as I'm getting into the water and as I'm just really really sinking into into labor and breathing through everything. This is like the hardest part right now. It's a part where you're very internal, so I don't really know what's happening around me. I'm just concentrating on breathing and focusing on my body and trying to feel the baby moved down. I've got my eyes closed or I don't know whether it's hazy, just you feel like you're just internal. Nothing else matters. It's just you and your baby. So I get into the water and spirit birds playing and I'm focusing really hard, and then all of a sudden, my body just goes bam, like you need to push, and it's not a conscious push, it's your body just bearing down and pushing for you. So for this birth, I really really really wanted to focus on letting my body do its thing. So I'm in the word water trying to breathe as much as I can, but your body just takes over and it pushes for you. There's nothing that you can do to stop it. Trying to look at my birth affirmations and make sure that I'm breathing. I've got up on the wall. Everything from inhale exhale, to every contraction brings me closer to you, or soft lips equals soft lips, and that is a little code for soft lips of your mouth equals a soft vagina, soft vagina lips. So I'm trying to focus on those things, and then all of a sudden, I can feel myself poohing, which was my biggest fear. I did not want to pooh in front of everybody. But it's just one of these things that happens. Is the baby's coming down, it pushes on your bow and it pushes pooh out. It's not you being like, oh, I need to pooh and you just squeeze what out. It just happens.
Speaker 2: Love PC's honesty. There happens to the best of us.
Speaker 3: I can feel the baby come down a little bit more, and I have to bring my focus back onto breathing. But instead of breathing like big deep breaths like it was more it's too hard to do that at the time, so I was trying to focus on not pushing and letting the baby come down by doing very shallow breasts. It's more like a.
Speaker 2: Here's Casey in the moment, just incredible.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: Casey worked hard to stay in tune with her body as much as she.
Speaker 3: Could all through this labor. I'm trying to focus on what I want to do, what my body wants to do, and I can feel the baby coming down further and further, and then it starts to really stretch and really burn. You get this burning sensation, and that's when you know that the baby is right there. It's coming out any second. And if you push too fast then I know that you can run the risk of tearing, which I tore with my first. I had little grazes with the second, and I was trying as hard as I could not to tear this time. So I knew that if I didn't push it out too quickly, that would reduce the risk of tears. So I'm trying to breathe and let the stretching happen and let him come out in their own time. So it's stretched, and it stretched, and it burnt, and it burnt, and I'm going and he came out. It came out in almost one push. I think my beautiful midwife Sarah pushed him through my legs and I was able to bring him up out of the water. And I remember when I reached down and saw his face, he was so stunned. He looked like a stunned mullet. I think babies always look really strange when they first come out. They're a little bit they're squished, and they're a bit blue grayish looking. They're a funny color they're not like you would expect. So I looked down and I could see his eyes they were open, looking at me through the water. And I brought him up and I expected him to cry, but he didn't. He just kind of looked at me, and I looked at him, and we kind of looked at each other and processed what had happened. And I brought him close to me, and he had the cord wrapped around his neck a couple of times, so my midwife helped it unravel through his neck, and he still didn't cry, and I'm going, You're a bit shocked, aren't you. He was still trying to adjust to everything, But he was so so calm. He was really calm. I don't know whether that was because he was born in the water or whether it was because maybe because of the cord it had stopped a bit of the blood flow, but for whatever reason, he was really calm, and nobody was worried. Everybody in the room was just so calm.
Speaker 2: So Casey got her wish a beautiful, serene homebirth.
Speaker 3: And I remember not being able to think of any words to say except for Hi, Hi, Hi, Hi Hi. I think I said hi like fifty times in the spaces of a minute, because I was so shocked that we had this baby and everything was amazing, and I felt so good afterwards. And I was looking at my daughter and I could see her her face, her face was priceless, like the look on her face was pure love, pure joy. She was just in awe and she's looking at me and looking at him and going, oh, my goodness, that's my baby. And I'm looking at my husband and he's looking at me like, look what you just did again, You're incredible. I felt like such a bad ass.
Speaker 6: When you push this baby out and you birth this whole entire being after you've just created it, that feeling, there is nothing else like it.
Speaker 3: It is so incredible. And to be able to do that in your own home by yourself, not that it was by myself, because I had my beautiful support system, which is so important. I had everyone that I wanted there. There is not one person that I didn't want there. When you have all those people supporting you and you push out this beautiful being and they're there and you're in this bubble of love, there is nothing else that I have experienced that compares to that feeling. It is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: Having her four and a half year old daughter involved in her birth may seem controversial to some, but her keenness made the decision an absolute no brainer for Casey.
Speaker 3: For me, having her there was the most beautiful thing, because my wish for her, and my wish for all children and for all people is for them to not be afraid of birth, for everybody to be excited, and for it to be normal. It's a normal life event. It's not a sickness or an illness, it's not a disability. It's a part of life, and it is so normal. And I needed her to know that women are so strong. We are so strong and what we can do is absolutely incredible. And for her to have the opportun unity to see that firsthand, and for me to be able to show her that, not just tell her, oh, women are so strong, Like birth is amazing. You go to hospital, you have a baby, it's fine. That's one thing. But for her to be able to experience it and feel it and see her baby brother come out, that to me is absolutely priceless. And I really really hope that that is something that she remembers and she carries with her through her life and when she goes to have her own babies, if that's what she chooses, I hope that she has that same positive outlook on birth.
Speaker 2: And here is Casey's birth in her own words.
Speaker 4: I would describe my birth as healing, as magical, calm, and absolutely perfect. It was everything that I had hoped that it would be and more. I always feel like I should hold back when I'm talking about my birth if people ask, I never feel like I really want to say how much I loved it or how well everything went, because I would never want to make someone feel inadequate or inferior if their birth didn't go how they planned, or how they'd imagined, or how they'd wanted.
Speaker 3: I would never want to make someone feel like they weren't enough based on their birth. So it is really hard to say exactly how I feel about my birth. But hand on heart, I loved it so much. And if I had one hundred babies, I would have one hundred home births. I just don't know that I would be able to raise one hundred kids. That's all.
Speaker 2: While we love learning about women's birth stories, we recognize that it's also important to hear from the experts, and we're lucky enough to have one of the best. Doctor Gollie is one of the country's favorite pediatricians. He's a father of three and knows everything there is to know about bubbs. If Casey's story has made a home birth sound attractive to you, you're not alone. Here's doctor Golly on how you could qualify to have your own.
Speaker 1: Every hospital runs things a little bit differently. I can talk about the Royal Women's Hospital in Victoria. There are certain criteria you have to meet in terms of your home and the birth environment, and then there are other criteria that reference the mother. So when it comes to your home, the Royal Women's Hospital criteria that you have to live within or plant to birth within twenty minutes of the hospital. The home has got to have clean running water, electricity, it's got to be a comfortable temperature. It has to have telephone access or mobile phone reception. And you have to have support for at least twenty four hours after birth. Now that doesn't have to be partner, It can be neighbor, it can be friend, grandparent, whoever it may be. You can't be by yourself. Then, when it comes to the mother and the mother's health, the mother has to be aged forty or under. It has to be a singleton pregnancy, so not twins, triplets, etc. And it can't be your fifth baby, so you can't have that if you've already had four babies. You also have to be of a healthy weight during pregnancy, not have a history of a previous caesar or some kind of complicated vaginal birth, and ultimately there has to be no medical concerns for the mother or the baby that have come out of that antienador care. Plus the labor has to be between thirty seven weeks and forty two or forty one plus six, as well as of course the baby being head down, so they won't allow a breach home birth, so legs first. So you really have to satisfy all these criteria before that is condoned, supported and put into effect. But as I said, every place is slightly different, so you need to do a little bit of research to make sure that it's okay for you.
Speaker 2: And the question about who you should have in the room with you when your birth is a good one regardless of where you give birth. I wondered if doctor Gollie has any advice of what support partners can do to be most helpful.
Speaker 1: The best people are the people who are going to have your back, advocate for you, do what you want in that moment, no matter what. Most commonly it is your partner. And you know, I've been that support person for my wife three times and I got better and better each time, but I was definitely not fantastic the first time. You know, it's a difficult job, but it's nowhere near as difficult as it is to push a baby out or even to have a caesar. I think the most important thing for expectant mothers to do is to have conversations about all the possibilities that can happen in a birth. I want you to be o fay with the language. I want you to know what an epiduel is. I want you to know what you can and can't have. I want you to know the reasons why an episiotomy might be required or an emergency cazar. I don't want these terms to be thrown at you and you're hearing them for the very first time because you're not in the right headspace to make such an important decisions. It's just not fair. And one of the key roles of your support person is to help you in that moment when it's really hard to concentrate, it's really hard to hear. You've got a lot of mixed emotions. You've got exhaustion, you've got pain, you've got excitement, you've got wonder there are so many things happening. You need an advocate, you need a bodyguard, you need so much support and protection. And you know what, you also want to share. I don't want to only talk about the challenges and how painful and stressful birth is. Yes, it's all of those things, But my god, is it beautiful. And to be able to share this, I don't know what were to you, this incredibly miraculous, phenomenal, jaw dropping moment. To be able to share it with someone you love, it's just special in the most indescribable way. And you have that forever. So if it's not your partner, choose that person carefully. It might be your mum, it might be your neighbor, it might be your sister. It's got to be someone who you want to have that experience with, who you know is going to have your back no matter what and support you and advocate you and fight for you and really just enjoy the moment with.
Speaker 2: You, and here at Diary of a Birth, we want to hold your hand not just through your nine months of pregnancy, but the terrifying and wondrous days when you get the baby home. His case's advice to new mums in the fourth trimester.
Speaker 3: So the most useful thing that anybody ever said to me before I had a baby was if nothing else is working, get them wet or take them outside. And what that means is, if you've got a baby who just won't stop crying and you're like, what is wrong with you? Try get them wet. So take them and put them in the bath, nice and deep, get their ears in, get them floating around. Has to be deep enough for them to float. Get them wet, or put them in the shower.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us on Diary of a Birth, where we celebrate all the amazing ways that we as women bring life into the world. Join me next week as Taylor chewed Hope Glacken tells her utterly incredible story of birthing quads yep. Four of them.
Speaker 7: She's put the wand on my belly and I've seen like multiple like black circles, and then she's ripped it away. And I see like the color drop from her face and I've instantly gone, and she's gone. She goes, this isn't twins, this is She's What even is is quads quadruplets.
Speaker 2: Diary of a Birth was hosted by me Cassana lu Kitch with expert input from doctor Gollie, Audio production by Scott Stronach, and our executive producer is Georgie Page