Speaker 1: I feel embarrassed and the shame as a man that we are responsible for this. There's no getting around that.
Speaker 2: Welcome to but are you happy I'm a shiny Dante. With the rise of the manisphere, more women are feeling concerned while many teenage boys and young men are struggling. There's a growing gap where real connection and community used to be, and into that space steps online figures offering belonging, but often promoting ideas about masculinity, money, and relationships that can be misleading and harmful. Ben Vassilo is the CEO of the man Ca, a preventive mental health charity supporting teenage boys and young men. In this conversation, he speaks candidly about what it means to be a man today, the impact male behavior is having on women and girls, and what's really been sending these online spaces. We also explore how young men can find healthier and more meaningful forms of connection and how ideas of masculinity are evolving. This conversation matters because discussions around gender can often be had in silo, and this is about finding a way forward together. Just a note in this episode, we refer to women and men and female and male while fully respecting all gender identities. Today's conversation focuses on this topic through the lens of the work we do. Here's our conversation, Ben Ashani, Welcome to But are you happy? I am very excited for this conversation. I feel like there is a lot to be unpacked in today's episode. But I feel like before we get into everything and unpack the landscape and masculinity the rise of the matter sphere, I actually want to start off by getting to know you and our listeners to get to know you. So the question I have is what was your perspective on masculinity growing up?
Speaker 1: Wow? What a way to start, just drop straight into masculinity. In all honesty, I think my early experiences of masculinity manhood were role models of what not to do. Like, if I really think about it now, I can sit back and reflect and know like my dad was probably the closest man in my life. He was around consistently until I was about eleven or twelve, and he did his best. You know, I've got hindsight now, but he was quick to temper, he was pretty quick to anger, really struggled to manage his emotions, and that would come out in different ways and sort of some unhealthy behaviors, but also there were some good things, particularly the kind of more traditional forms of masculinity around Provider Protector. He was really courageous and really strong and really present in those ways, really good with sports. But yeah, in the more sort of modern concepts of masculinity, the things that we're trying to expand on, not so great, I think later on in life. I've been married twice, hopefully not a third time. But in my first marriage, my father in law was definitely like the masculine archetype that I've aspired to be, really clever, witty. He was an old school artist. He used to draw the houses in the real estate section in the newspapers. Yeah, before that, they used to be They used to be a clever, witty into politics, current affairs, but also like rides his Harley has his cars. Could sit down and have a nice class of red and have like a really interesting conversation. But the thing that I learned from him was that he just loved his wife, my ex mother in law, who I'm still close with. Both of them, they're just like a loving bond and like their beautiful relationship with something that I could learn from, So a bit of like what not to do, and then a little bit of like what to do, and then trying to form.
Speaker 3: My own Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's really amazing just to hear from all of those moments how you could see the and breath of masculinity.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think that's how we learn, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And I think just lucky there was like no digital age with movies, TVs, magazines. Yes, but I'm so glad I did not have social media that young.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's a different time we're living in. And do you feel like, I know, you kind of spoke a bit around the role models in your life, the things that you loved and probably you didn't want to take on board, But was there a specific moment in your life where you felt like you realized that young men were really struggling emotionally.
Speaker 1: Yes. I think I had my own struggles in my early years. So if I reflect back on my own kind of teenagehood journey into young manhood, there was a lot of stuff going on. So my mom passed when I was sixteen and sort of went through my own challenges of feeling depressed and anxious and kind of where where do I fit in the world. So I have my own personal experience. But about ten years later, after I started as a youth worker and then was working in kind of social impact and having run social services, I was like, hold on a second, Like, we've got a pretty big issue in our hands, men's mental health, men's identity is a really big challenge that's showing up in the deficit based outcome. So I've worked in family violence, I've worked in homelessness, I've worked in addiction, and I'm like, hold on, we have a challenge on our hands that we're really not addressing. So I think in my sort of mid to late twenties is when I started to investigate and get a bit curious about it, start to really lean on my mates and start to ask them about their experiences. But over the last couple of years, I think with my work at the man Cave, it's become really obvious that we have some big challenges ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and actually yeah, it leads me to my next question, because I think the state of masculinity, there's all a lot going on, and the rise of the manisfee is obviously a very hot topic in media at the moment. So for those that are tuning in right now and have heard bits and pieces about the manisfee but don't actually know what it is, can you unpack what is the manisphere?
Speaker 1: I feel like there's people way more qualified than me, but the manisphere is the perfect shit storm. It's you know, I had to explain actually to my auntie the other day. I really wanted her to watch the Louis Throw documentary and I was like, watch it, and she's like, what is it? Is it like one of those apps like Facebook, And I was like, okay, sit down on the cat. This is going to take more than it is a It is a network of just really harmful, unhealthy content disguised in entertainment or healthy advice, for particularly teenage boys and young men. But the manus for itself is constantly evolving. So what was like a focus on Andrew take kind of telling people to like be dominant, be aggressive, take control, women want to be controlled and dominated has kind of really taken off kind of like a bush fire. And now there's so many layers and complex it is and nuances and different trends and algorithms, and what it actually is is a bunch of unhealed immature men in teenage sorry teenage boys in men's bodies, spouting content that is clear and concise messaging that they know will cut through the algorithm. Get jacked, get ripped, get a girl, take control. Honestly, it's insanity. The challenge that we have with the manisphere is it's a business model. So we're starting to expose the fact that these influencers, content creators and man influencers I like to call them, are actually selling subscriptions to their online entrepreneurial college or they're selling peptides or testosterone or whatever you know, pt and online gym sessions, and they're using the naivety but also perhaps the vulnerabilities of teenagers and young men to come and arrive at really clear and concise messaging, which there are too because it's simple, but it's super harmful, super unhealthy. It's on every single platform, it's on every single app, there's content creators from around the world, and yeah, it's pretty scary stuff actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean kind of speaking to the harmful effects, like what do you feel are the most dangerous ideas that young men are absorbing from the Manisphere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's two things a kind of live for me in that. The first is the young men consuming the content. I'm going to cop a little bit for just being so direct about how terrible the manisphere is. There's lots of people trying to justify it and say that it's good advice. No, no, no, no no. The first bit is it's harming young men who are consuming in the content. A lot of the young men that I've worked with, and that the man Cave supports asking questions or trying to discover things online like how do I make money and get rich? How do I get a great job and not have to work nine to five? Or how do I ask a girl out? How do I go to girl to kiss me? They're kind of like trual, naive kind of questions seeking advice, or they're liking and engaging with content which then very quickly escalates into harmful content. And that's the gateway that we need to keep an eye on, because young men are then consuming all of this stuff where a guy's rocking around in a Lamborghini live in Miami and I'm like, yeah, dude, I believe in one way monogamy. That's not one way monogamy is not a thing, like unless you sign up for its consensual. Fantastic, But all of this stuff, these boys are like this is real and it's not. It's all a facade. As mansions are rented, you know, they're paying for that rent with a subscription that you buy from their entrepreneurial college. So there's the young men that are being harmed because it's not attainable. Yeah, and they're being harmed in a mental health sense, thinking that this is a way to feel better, get better. But actually it's not healthy content. It's not good advice.
Speaker 3: It's like a false narrative.
Speaker 1: Correct. Yeah, yeah, you've got much better language than I do. What I wanted to say, Boss, It's really much like a false narrative. Some of it's good though, like some advice out there. This is the thing about the manisphere is there's small pieces that get attributed to the manisphere that's not like good advice around like building a career or getting a trade or starting a business, or asking respectfully, how do I ask a girl out? What is consent? Mean? These are all good things, but young men mental health not great. But also they are impacting the second cohor that I really want to focus on, which is particularly young women and girls, also queer people and people from sort of minority populations, particularly here in Australia, the multicultural community. But the impact on women and girls is super concerning because oi young man observes, takes behavior, Where does the impact land totally women and girls. That's super concerning, super concerning for everyone. The challenge that we have is that there's this conflation between men's accountability and consequences and the impact on women. Both can be true at the same time. But I'm really concerned about the women and girls because what I'm noticing is, particularly online, this increased subscription or adherence to what the boys and men are saying, this treadwife concept or the man should go out and work and provide for the woman and the woman should stay home. Again, if that's your consensual decision as a partnership, great, but it's actually not because what we're seeing is sexual assault. What we're seeing is sexual violence, what we're seeing is aggression. What we're seeing is dominance, and it's not healthy for anyone.
Speaker 2: I think since the manosphere has been getting a lot more attention, it's really easy to focus on the young boys, but also we forget to also focus on the young women who are actually kind of in the shadows of these conversations. So it's really great that we're having these conversations now to really bring to life if we really want gender equality, where we've got to equally look at what's happening in these spaces.
Speaker 1: Well, if I can say just one thing that's super important is that the manisphere is saying all of the challenges of men and boys. So there are and it's true, and there's valid boys performance in school is behind girls. There's challenges around boys graduation from university or tayte for whatever. There are challenges out there. But what the manisphere is feeding the boys is it's the fault of feminism. So women rising is to the detriment of men, and that's not true. Women rising list everyone up, just like if we help boys, that list everyone up. So we really have to make sure we make the distinction that this is not the fault of feminism. Feminism is coming from a long way back. Remember when women literally couldn't vote but couldn't get alone, which so terribly for so long. And they're rising, and then there's this manus feming like labor on the women. Yeah, come on, we've got to like cut.
Speaker 3: Through that's not true totally.
Speaker 2: A lot of critical thinking that needs to be had and a lot of conversations to be had, because I think a lot of these gendered conversations can be had in siloed and that's where I think a lot of them misunderstanding happens. Whereas you know, I've listened to a podcast recently where someone was talking about how someone stepped out of the manisphere and the way that he stepped out of it was because he actually just had a chat with a woman, And it was so interesting because that just goes to show the illusions, the stories, the wounds we keep ourselves trapped in. I'm not able to step more into the expansion of possibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And also the thing that stands out for me having had a number of conversations with people that have kind of escaped the manisphere, rehabilitated from the manisphere based on the hard labor of women again, women identifying that might not be healthy, women identifying that that's probably not a good thing to think, feel, behave, or act, or the right person to be consuming content from. So we also have to be conscious that, like, once again we're calling on women to do the hard work totally for men to actually be thinking critically about the content that they see. Yeah, the interesting thing that I want to mark about the manisphere is that there is so much conjecture in the community about the manisphere because an older cohort of men are actually subscribing and adhering to what the manusfet.
Speaker 3: You're a saying, what do you mean by conjecture?
Speaker 1: Well, there's this kind of like men are pushing back that the manusphe isn't all bad.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of conversations I'm involved in where men are saying the manisphe is not a bad thing. It's not all bad, not all men.
Speaker 2: What's interesting that you're saying that, Oh my god, there's like so much there's.
Speaker 3: So many things.
Speaker 1: We could be here for a few hours.
Speaker 2: More of my conversation with Ben after the short break, I want to read something out and I'm keen to get your thoughts on it. So, around fifty eight women were killed by violence across Australia in twenty twenty five, mainly perpetrated by men. How do you feel when you hear statistics like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's hard to have words, but we must. The number of women and children that are dying at the hands of men is an absolute crisis and it should be treated as such. It makes me feel disgusted. It makes me feel shameful, embarrassed, sad, angry, all of the emotions. I'm from Melbourne, so I've seen the mural on hose Elane. I think Schrell Moody from the Femicide Watch was collating pictures of women that have been killed at the hands of men, and unfortunately it had been taken down recently, but I've seen it, and I work in a space that is promoting gender equity and healthy masculinities and how that connects to the empowerment of women and girls. It makes me feel terribly sad. I feel like we're not moving fast enough. I feel like we're not working at all ends of the spectrum. So if we think about actually really ending gender violence and doing it as quickly as we possibly can, we need prevention, we need early intervention, we need crisis and response, healing and recovery. None of those four quadrants of the spectrum are well funded enough, and there's not enough or sufficient policy from all levels of government to intervene. So there can be a feeling of despair, but also there's hope out there, like the women's organizations, the feminist led organizations, particularly in the intervention, crisis response, healing and recovery, are doing phenomenal work. On the smell of an oily rag, I must say, the federal government has put such a significant investment, the biggest investment in ending general violence and family violence. So there is hope coming. It's just not moving as fast as I would. I have so many mixed emotions. I think about this constantly. Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. And if it was a physical condition, if it was a cancer, if it was a medical diagnosis, we'd be moving so much quicker, so much quicker than what we are. But I also don't want to devalue the work of the amazing people out there, the practitioners, the researchers, the leaders, the CEOs, the activists, the advocates. They're doing a phenomenal amount of work. This is our window and.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful to hear you vulnerability in that as well, And there's some like strong emotions there too. But also I'm really intrigued. When you say shame and embarrassment, you ever unpacked that a little bit more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel I feel embarrassed and the shame as a man that we are responsible for this. There's no getting around that. And the bit that is embarrassing is someone at some point in time is going to listen or hear about this podcast and shit post a comment that says, what about women's violence against men? Not all men? You know, there's still that school of thinking. I know we can't reach all the edges of society, but I talk to a lot of men. I spend a lot of time not in ivory towers, in community chatting to people. And I just feel a bit shameful and embarrassed. And that's just my own guilt, I suppose. But also I have a sixteen year old daughter, you know, and I know that over her lifetime it is very very likely that she will experience some level of violence, and that that really scares me. That really scares me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a hard one to sit with. I feel a bit emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, Ah, I just need to take some water, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: It's so difficult. I don't think we sit in like the vulnerable spaces enough. And I'm not the expert on this, but and I don't want to be scomo. It's like my wife and my daughter said, but it's like when I visualize that, I visualized my daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's hard.
Speaker 1: And I visualize my wife and my sisters and my niece, and I'm like, it's like that's a reality. Yeah, they live a different life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel a tiny, tiny, tiny piece of the fear bit being queer when I was coming out, being a bit scared of what people would feel in judge and maybe feeling not so safe walking around Chapel Straight at nighttime. There's a tiny piece of me that's felt it, but not this much. Yeah, you know, luck, I actively will not let my daughter go out on her own at nighttime at sixteen. It's just not happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many other layers you've got to think about as a woman. Yeah, And I think it's somewhat refreshing and healing to hear how much you get that as well. I think so often, like I think when you were talking about you mentioned not all men and how like that's a phrase that does come up and it gets me thinking like, are men just using those words to avoid responsibility for a broader cultural issue that's going on.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a shift in power, right, There's a real shift empower happening across the world. And I am surrounded by so many wonderful men, brilliant, beautiful, just clever men who get it and who understand that the rise of women is a really good thing for all of us. The rise engineer equity is a really good thing for all of us. But it also requires change. The way that our fathers parented us and their fathers parented them needs to evolve. But evolution is a good thing. We shouldn't be resisting it totally. Even the fact that my sixteen year old daughter is pushing back with independence and wants to go out and puts all of the safety mechanisms in place, that doesn't stop me feeling super protective of her, but that I need to sit with that and unpack that and be like, you know, why is it that I'm feeling like that. I need to give her some trust, I need to let her be her own person. So there's lots of different mixed emotions, but men need to sit in discomfort. We need to sit in shitty feelings and understand it without reacting, without getting angry, and just being like, what does this mean for me? What does it mean for the people around me? Why am I feeling this? There is a structural, systemic move, but it is going to be hard fought and take some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you feel like well, I don't know if you noticed. There was an online trend around the bear or man yes as well, and just for context for listeners, women were asked like, if you wanted to, if you had to be alone in the forest, would you choose a man or a bear?
Speaker 3: And a lot of them chose a bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm keen to hear, Like, what are your thoughts on that, because obviously this is like reinforcing the gender based violence that currently exists in the world.
Speaker 1: So very recently there's been a discovery, I think by CNBC that there was a particular website that was promoting it was a place where mainly men could come together share actual real life footage or tips and tricks on how to sexually assault and rape women, and there was something like sixty two million visitors. Beneath it was about one thousand active users of a telegram group sharing different resources on sleep sets, they would call it. So if we kind of just zoom back out, think about why women would choose the bear over men. A very very beautiful friend of mine, she's a clinical midwife, educator, she's got two beautiful children, posted about this on her social media, and then the next story was, this is why we choose the bear. I also get how it distances men from the conversation, but it distances men who are not prepared to learn and understand where women are coming from. The women aren't saying not all men are bad. What they're saying is all men have a responsibility to play. They need to be accountable for not just their behavior, but the men around them. And when I see it, I go, you know what, I understand. I get it. It's just treated so much like this gender equity piece and men and women all genders. It's being treated like a zero sum game, like if we help men, women lose, if we help women, men lose, Like where's the moderate middle where we all r We're all not. Yeah, we're going to have to make some adjustments and change and maybe sacrifice, but everyone can win. Is that not what humanity is supposed to be about it.
Speaker 3: That's really simple, right, You're like, why why? Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's so many complexities to.
Speaker 1: That, right, men are holding on to power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Like insert Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: So there's misogynistic figures like Andrew Tate that often argue that a woman's worth is tied exclusively to her physical appearance, youth, and capacity for obedience. Do the young men you work with believe this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like a very small percentage of boys and young men that we're working with. We'll talk about it, so I can't give you a hard fart statistic about it. It believes it. But I think because we create a safe space, and what does that actually mean? That that actually means about holding a space where boys feel comfortable to lean into the messy, sometimes politically incorrect conversations. And that's not colluding with them. It's about creating an opportunity to ask why and figuring out what's live for them. Because a lot of adults in young boys and young men's lives will immediately go into course correct judgment mode. And yes, the consequences accountability not justifying that. But what boys often need is a bit of curiosity. One of the strategies we have that the man cave is like the Six Wives. But how many times you have to ask why for them to really question.
Speaker 3: What they're saying? You keep digging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Layers, there's a chunk of boys that parrot. They're the pirates parrot, you know that just repeat what they've heard. Let's be honest. We've heard reports of boys telling female teachers get back in the kitchen. Again. That is not I'm not seeing that, like you know, across a large percentage of schools or boys that we work with, But teachers are reporting that experience, so that is true. There's a number of boys just in in the middle, confused, being like we don't actually know what is like good and bad content entertained, right, Like is looks back seeing really a thing? Or are we just laughing at it? But for a small percentage of boys, they believe it. They believe that they need to, you know, look chiseled and look amazing to attract females into their life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then there's a small percentage at the top that I'm really concerned about. And they're not telling you. They're not talking to us, they're not talking to you, they're difficult to engage with, and they're disconnected and withdrawn. They may show up physically, they may show up with presents, but they're not talking about it. Let's be honest that those boys are locked into the manisphere and we need to do more work to reach them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, and because there's so many layers to it too, because I know obviously with the work with the Flourish Journey working in schools of teenage girls, and the things that we're hearing because of the impact of the matisphere is that you know, girls are feeling really scared.
Speaker 3: You know, like I.
Speaker 2: Always get emotional, want to talk about teen age girls. Yeah, they're feeling really scared, and they're feeling really unsafe, and they're noticing changes in boys where you know, like they see the difference when they have a male friend on his own to when he's in a group of friends, like he can change, and like that's a lot and I think it's really hard because not only that, but you've got figures like the misogynistic figures like Andrew Tate that are telling girls like, oh, women need to look good, and that's like further perpetuating the problem with body image issues. So it's like it's like no one wins and and girls are really struggling, and I think it's it's a hard one to sit with. But it's also really interesting to hear kind of the spectrum of what always is saying, because like, how do they view women when you do talk about young women in workshops?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the hope. So a vast majority of boys who come to our workshops or programs, we run a variety of different experiences like the Flourished Journey. We've shared those different types of experiences, but boys will often talk like we run the old Richmond Footy Club of it's called triple H hero, hardship, highlight, and a large percentage of the times for the boys, it's about a woman in their life, mom, grandma, sister, aren't friend where they're sharing these stories, whether they're face to hardship or someone sick or someone that's unfortunately passed away. But a lot of the time, the hero or the highlight is about how their mum hypes them up or supports someone takes care of them. So in the workshops, I'm always there is hope. A vast majority of the boys that we work with talk about girls and women in a really healthy way. Now, we're not there when the banter is going on, so we try and do like we have these activities we talk about in and out of bounds, like what is inbounds, what is out of bounds, and we throw up some examples without judgment, and then our facilitators guide them through different ways. So something if a little comment or conversation sparks in one of our programs and we feel like it's crossing a boundary, it might be sexss, misogynous, homophobic, we sort of deep dive into that and we facilitate around the room to get some group think and group agreement on would that be okay if this particular comment was made about your mum, who you just shared a hardship about, Like, let's get really honest about this. Is that really appropriate? So we're kind of policing a little bit. Yeah, But the interesting thing with boys is they do police each other. Yeah, And they're policing each other around what's acceptable, And you've got to be really conscious that sometimes they police each other about what could be soft, you know, and it could be tender. Yeah, but they're calling that week. So we need to make sure we're reframing that into actually vulnerability as a strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how do boys receive that in the sense of because in a way, you're kind of challenging their potential points of views on the way that they see the world, the way they see women, how they you know, what success is like. How receptive are they to those kind of challenging sticky points?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I mean on the boy in their environment. Let's be honest, we don't know really a great deal about what the boys bringing into the space when we first meet them. So we know that a lot of boys are also victim survivors, a lot of boys of experiencing a lot of challenges, and we talk about that a lot. But most boys are open, they're curious, they're looking around, but they are checking with their mates, yeah, or they're looking down.
Speaker 3: Am I still good? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. So when we do the heartfelt shares and we do some check ins around the room, it only takes one boy to open up about what's actually going on in his life. Yeah, and then you see the others jump in and want to support. What we are trying to do is make sure that that's longitudinal. So It's not just a one day workshop or program. We're we're having three, four, five, six exposures throughout the year, throughout their whole teenage journey to let it land and stick. But the big work we have to do in the work of men and boys is listen to the experiences of women and girls and your kids as well. Yeah, so we're like linking in and connecting with organizations like the Flourish and like what are you seeing, what are you experiencing? How do we share data and insights what's happening, Because we could go in and which.
Speaker 3: Is so important, so important?
Speaker 2: We could be just dancing to a different rhythm that will very different the songs of guys the.
Speaker 1: Song And there's arguments about the gendered work. But what I feel is like with a lot of the times we go to the school and you'll have the boys group and the girls group and the non binary or quick kids will choose where they want to land or what they want to do, and then we're thinking, so when they all come back together, how do we connect this up. That's the next bit of work that we really need to focus on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, I guess my question and observation I'm noticing is that there is a growing sense of frustration amongst teenage girls and women went towards men, and many are feeling disheartened about the misogynistic views or opinions behaviors that they might be seen online to personal relationships they have. So what do men need a change in order to create more equitable, respectful, supportive relationships with women?
Speaker 1: I think that we need to be Do you think that I can ask you a question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to. I'm going to answer it. I'm going to answer it.
Speaker 1: Do you think that there's like an innate sense within us as humans that we kind of know what's right and wrong.
Speaker 3: Depends who the human is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a challenging one. But I reckon, I reckon we kind of know. I reckon that when it comes to relationships, boundaries, particularly the way that we treat other people. I reckon, you know, I reckon. It's in here, it's in here, intuition. Yeah, there's a There's the reason why we asked that question is because I do believe that there's an innate sense of like generally what's right and what's wrong. There's extremities, there's political views, but when it comes down to fundamental humanity. I reckon, we know, like we don't kill each other, we shouldn't treat each other poorly. Start by seeing women as equal. Yeah, like that would be a really good start. Be courageous and call the shit out, Like, call it out. It doesn't have to always be confrontational. Find the language to call your mates out and then call them in. So you can call someone out for saying something, doing something, or you're seeing something concerned and you call them in and be like what, like why would you say that, mate? Or that didn't land for me, mate, that's not right mate. You know, there's a simple way of calling it out and then calling them back in and be like like why did you say that? Mate? Just have to be in front of everyone. So I think a bit of courage in being able to sort of advocate and not thinking you're like, you don't have to be an active ast gender equity warrior out there. It's micro changes in your sphere of influence. Be conscious of your environment, you know, be conscious of what's going on around you, and think deeply about your relationships. So I think courage to call it out, courage to call it in, educate yourself, like, there are resources out there, there are so many different people. There's this podcast you could be listening to. We're on it right now. Listen to this.
Speaker 3: You're in the right place, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I just think there's an opportunity for men to really lean in and not see this as being detracted from But this is working for all of us. This is lifting everyone up, and it shouldn't come down to just women's safety. You know, it's not that you know, women shouldn't be cat called or women shouldn't be harassed. It's like baseline stuff. It's like the bear bear bear minimum. I'm talking about, how do you divvy up the workload? Do you have active and progressive conversations about how you manage the income in your household? You know, like, do you actually talk about the responsibilities in your house and how you kind of weight the value of different things. It's okay for someone to earn more and someone to care more, or someone to clean more and someone to cook more. Those things are okay. As long as you're having conscious conversations about it and it's an agreement and it's revisited, those things are okay. Then the next level is okay. So Once we've made those agreements, it's okay for the woman to earn more. It's okay for the man to care more. Totally, for the woman to cook more and the man to clean more. So these kind of these rigid masculine stereotypes that we've been conditioned to believe they're okay, are our responsibility to change. Yeah, just because we've had the environmental conditioning or the conditioning of the world to believe we should be a certain way. It is our responsibility to make the change as individuals. And it is the decision makers, the policy wonks and the politicians and the big system thinkers to make systemic change. Yeah, definitely, I have to have both together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it's really great.
Speaker 2: I think I really loved just like the practicalness of calling people in because I think what can happen often is like Banta culture is a big thing I think amongst boys, teenager culture. And I think it's so easy for a slight little comment to actually have a lot of there's a lot underneath that joke, right, And it's like that feeling of oh am, I going to be a buzzkill if I call this in or let that person know that wasn't okay because I find in a way there's kind of like a spectrum of misogyny. Like you obviously got the extremists with you know, in the manisphere, but there's also I find, and what I've experienced and witnessed is like the subtleties of misogyny, like in that little comment or the energy, or there's like those little things that I think need to be picked up as well, because those little things can end up. Like you talked about micro moments, those micro moments can add up and then it actually can be quite harmful without even realizing.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's easier to let them go totally right, Like that's where the courage comes in. Is like this small moment, it's actually easy. I'm going to ignore that and forget about it and not say anything and put my head down and move on. Yeah, or worse, have a giggle and laugh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whereas I think it takes courage, and it doesn't just for a lot of us. It doesn't arrive. You build up over time, you know. I think now, at the ripe old age of forty, I feel courageous enough that if I see something I disagree with and I know that fundamentally is not right. I'm going to call it out. Yeah, and I'm going to do my best to call it back in So doesn't have to be the big confrontation or be scared of the aggression. But I'm prepared to call it out. Was I always no?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've been in some really sort of heteronormative, hyper masculine environments that I was like, I'm this is not a safe thing for me to do. But now at forty, I'm like, I'm going to take the risk. Yeah. I feel like I've got the language and I've got the ability to, you know, assess the risk of the situation. But if I see it, I'm calling it out because you are you are the behavior you walk by. Yeah, you are the values that you weakness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so super important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in terms of like that situation, because I think that's really relatable, because I'm sure some people might be tuning in and being like, oh, look, that's so great that you've been able to get through that risky nature. But for those that might be on the edge, they're like, oh, I think.
Speaker 3: I might feel unsafe in this.
Speaker 2: Like what do you advise you just let it go because there's a bit of that bystander effect that can happen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: This is challenging because there's a risk that you give people advice that they're not that they're not able to deliver on, and then that creates shame and embarrassment for them. So I think that as an active bystander, using positive language in a confrontation can be difficult to think about. But challenge yourself to think about it and what I mean by They'll give you really practical example. So a mate says something to another mate and it's all the mates. Everyone's on the piss, you know. It's one of those environments. I'm like, mate, like that, Nah, that didn't really, that didn't land me. We'll talk about it later. I acknowledge a moment, so everybody knows I'm not accepting that that's not okay. But I wouldn't take the risk and then start a big group confrontation if I didn't like people had been drinking, you know, I just I'll deal with that later. I feel comfortable to either have the conversation with that guy later or pick it up the next day and be like, hey, mate, let's just want to chat about yesterday. Yeah, so that's an example of like where you feel like it might be a high risk environment. I don't want people to be putting themselves at risk, but I also do want them to be courageous that women are at risk every day. Yeah, so if I see something actually happening in real time, I'm stepping in and you always have triple zero. Yeah, Like, if it's an elevated crisis moment, you have the responsibility to make the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 1: You got to do the best that you can for the people around you. If it's an elevated, heightened high risk situation, you must immediately call triple zero. If it's the slight misogyny, you've got to assess the risk to yourself and the others around you. But I'm calling it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: After the break, Ben tells us what conversations he's having with teenage boys and young men around masculinity. So there was something that you mentioned before around use this language around evolving and expanding masculinity, and how you've talked a bit about hope as well. Now, you guys have worked with over hundred thousand teenage boys, which is incredible what conversations are they having with you in these safe spaces that you're creating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's be honest. Teenage boys aren't coming in talking about masculinity.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: They're like, we're here to learn masculinity general quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not what they're coming in for.
Speaker 1: We are bringing the conversation to them and usually are sort of like, how do we get them enrolled into, like why the man cave is there? Is usually through a bit of play, in a bit of fun and some activity, but we get right into it, like what does it actually mean to be a young man? And ask them questions, usually like a bit of a whiteboard exercise, So we're asking them for themes, feelings, actions, behaviors, examples so we can tease it out, and then we talk about what sort of being a man masculinity in manhood will mean, what it might have meant for their dads and former generations, and what they hope it means for future generations. And what we will talk about is traditional masculinity is actually a really beautiful thing. You know, the leadership and courage and strength and provider and protector and all of these beautiful things. When those things are used in isolation is when they become harmful. So what we want is a more expansive version moving forward where men can be all of those things plus so expanding, plus kind, compassionate, caring. We can set and respect boundaries. We understand consent, we understand healthy relationships. All we're working towards it. And then our facilitators will always share stories of their journey to show that it was not always perfect. But they're evolving and growing and learning and absorbing knowledge to be a better man, or be a great man, or be a good man, whatever's capable for them. So there's what you've been told or seen about being masculine. Is some of it's really good and you can build on it, and there's other versions of it. But also there's an individual element to what it means to be a man. Yeah, some men express themselves in very different ways to other men. It's great for men to express themselves through their love of sport. It's also absolutely amazing to express yourself through your love of music, through your love of arts, or crafts or formula one or all of these hobbies and interests are expressions. They are not your masculine identity. Yeah, A man does not have to be what we think it is that's advertised to us. You know, fit six foot looking, amazing, drinking beers, living on the quarter acre block with the big house and the big ute and the wife and the two kids. Like this shit that's been sold to you as like a norm that doesn't have to be yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing that I focus on a lot in our work is like, if you actually unpack masculinity, it's just being a good human.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because as you were talking about like what you step the boys through and like, oh, just sounds like you're getting them to connect with what's their most authentic expression of themselves. I actually wanted to talk about, you know, there was something you were talking about, like just at a systemic level, the things that are changing and you know, the government funding more things in this kind of space, which is really important. And I know there was a recent announcement by the Victorian government announcing the first Minister for Boys and Men, which is very exciting. I know you guys spoke about that on your socials. How do you feel about that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I felt great because it was it was the first signal that a state government in Australia is taking the health and well being of boys and men really seriously. So the federal government has a special Endvoy for men's health. Great damn Repercola doing great job, Like he's talking about checking your balls and going to the doctor and take care of your mates and good for mental great stuff. But at a state level, the jurisdiction said we need a plan for men and boys. Now the bit that got lost in all of the announce spent and I was saying to our socials and content team, you have to make sure that we're talking about the fact that, for the first time ever, there's also a Minister for women and girls. So there was always a Minister for women, but it never included girls. And I was like, so we not only was it a great announcent, we've got paul Edbrooke so he's now Minister for Men and Boys, and then we've got Gabrielle who's Minister for Women and Girls. And I was like, we're actually taking adolescents seriously. This is great. Now we've got a minister, I'm going to make sure that they actually designed policy. My first call I was like, congratulators, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Let's Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I know Clavicula he has been hot off the press as well. And I think it's really interesting because there was that sixty minute interview where essentially the interviewer asked his associations to Andrew Tate and he just walked off. And I'm curious to know from the work that you do with teenage boys, since you know, you guys know how to crack open the hearts of teenage boys, that kind of behavior reaction like what's actually going on beneath the surface, A.
Speaker 1: Very fragile, immature young man who got found out because you know, yet live streaming content creation, influencing online has some accountability and responsibility through the comments, but no one's actually face to face challenging you, and you chuck a seasoned investigative journalist. I think he was in front of him a couple of hard questions and it just breaks down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a lot of defensiveness as well.
Speaker 3: You could feel that.
Speaker 1: Immediate defensive because I'm not sure he believes what he's saying, you know, and if he does, it's cooked, it's cooked, no matter what. Actually, but I'm not quite sure that he believes in everything that he's saying because I don't see a lot of conviction in some areas. I do clovic club clovicular because it comes from the clavical.
Speaker 3: Right looking.
Speaker 1: In whatever. Look, it's shit posting unhealed, traumatized teenage boys in men's bodies. Like, I'm just going to call it as it is. People can come for me, that's the truth. What's been super disturbing is since then he's on live stream, has overdosed on drugs, and during him looking very unwell and quite clearly inebriated, the person sitting next to him, who was another looksmaxing influencer who I think, where's a week? That dude can't remember his name, but he was offering him an upper because he was And I was like, that's not how you help you, mate. You shut down the live stream and you call emergency services and help you mate. That being aired and exposed was super confronting. So many young men and young women watch that, but they were exposed. They have been exposed. That man, that young man needs serious psychiatric intervention.
Speaker 3: Yeah right now.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not a clinical psychologist, a psychiatrist. I'm just an old school youth worker from back in the day. But I've been around a lot. Yeah, but that kid did psychiatric help. He needs it. That is not a fully formed human. Yeah, that is someone I believe who is experiencing a lot of pain and going on to perpetuate a lot of pain. Yeah, and he needs to be held to account. But he also needs a lot of help and needs a lot of support. He does not have the right people around him right now.
Speaker 3: Yep, there's a lot. There's a lot there. We wish him well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And also just like like pull the plug on the account. Someone get him off, Someone get him off. We just need to know. Someone said to me recently, this was great. Actually I have to say, someone said to me, if AI gets really bad, right, if it gets really bad, let me just turn them off.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of solutions, because I know, like in terms of like I would have had a lot of people tune it into this episode and they're probably thinking about, you know, boys and men in their life. You know, it might be sons, friends, partners, and I guess the question I would have is, like, what non judgmental conversations can we be having with the boys and men in our lives to be better men?
Speaker 1: I think staying curious. So what I've found to work is arriving without a judgmental approach to a conversation and playing the long game. So not everything is going to be fixed immediately, depending on the emotions and feelings that you have. Right now, we're playing the long game. We're staying curious, We're asking questions. We're trying to figure out why there might be a certain attitude or behavior or norm that's settled in. I'm not talking about the harmful stuff that needs to be caught out immediately and there needs to be accountability and consequences in action. I'm talking about like in your sphere of influence, if you're seeing things pop. There are so many resources out there that you can set yourself up with the right language. The one thing that I've always found, particularly as a parent, is my kids really struggle when I'm looking at them.
Speaker 3: Like this, Oh yeah, so it's very confirmed how.
Speaker 1: Many kids vape in your friendships. My kid's like not going to be answering. But if we're like driving and they're on their owls and I'm on the other side of the car, and I'm like, okay, so we're going forty to sixty. Yep, fantastic. Now you know this area, take it really well. Yeah, yeah, and we're not having to look at each other. Now's the time a really good opportunity to be dropping some conversations here. Oh I saw that. What happened with that clavicular? It's like, what was going on there?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: What do you think of it? Do you follow him? Isn't this terrible? It's like, what's going on with that? Have you seen that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like being interested and curious maybe not always when your kids on their owls, I did it, that haven't crashed you touch work, so like in cooking environments.
Speaker 3: Like we are getting busy with their head exactly having.
Speaker 1: The honest conversations. So I think that's a really good way of doing it. But I think also if you think that someone needs some additional help or seeking help, role modeling, like a lot of men, the evidence is clear, don't go to the doctor, don't go to the therapist, don't go and get support, don't go and get help. It is on them. Individual accountability is super important, but being able to demonstrate and role model, like I talk a lot about being active in therapy, and I'm constantly talking about it with my kids, not the depth of what I talk about in my psychodynamic therapy, but that it's an investment in my self care and I want a role model to them that if they feel like they need additional assistance, that's something that we can access. I talk about it in my work. I'm talking about it now in this podcast. Not as some marter that I go to therapy. No, like I need proactive support. I have like a big life and a lot going on, and I need additional help. And that's why this guy went to university for like a hundred years and practiced all this time to help me. He wants to help me, He's there to help me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So role modeling is another really important one. But the thing that I think we're losing a bit is storytelling. Yeah, sharing stories about a time that you struggled, or a time that things have happened, letting your kids or the people around you, your husband, the son, the nephew, whoever, letting them know that you're a human too. I remember when I was really sad. I remember when something really shitty happened to me. I remember when I got really angry and I was really embarrassed about it. Afterwards, so role modeling, storytelling and opening up that kind of vulnerability is a strength and standing in that power of strength and being like it's just because I'm vulnerable doesn't make me weak. Actually being vulnerable makes me stronger, and then giving examples of how and why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that in some really practical ways that we can start these conversations.
Speaker 3: And I'm curious too, because.
Speaker 2: I can imagine like if you're doing some of these strategies like being curious, really being judgmental at all, but you're still getting maybe defensiveness or just they're not giving you anything, Like what would you best advise in a situation like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it depending on the level of trust you having the relationship. It's being really honest, I'm not getting anything from you right now. I've tried curious, I've tried non judgmental, I've googled this, I've tried to figure out a way to have a conversation. I just need to hit you with a I'm really concerned about this behavior. I'm really concerned about this particular attitude. I'm really worried about what you said, and I'm going to need to set a really clear boundary that like this is actually not okay, yeah, or you not. I'm feeling like you not being the best version of yourself is not impacting me. You know, you need to take some responsibility for that because I'm doing my best, but I need you to do your best. Yeah Yeah, and if not, I'm going to have to set a really clear boundary that can't be crossed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think just honestly, it's like the elevation, so curious, non judgmental, a little more stern setting boundaries, and then we're talking about consequences and accountability and that's what distance comes in. And his friend who is sitting right next to him as he's experiencing this, offered him illicit prescription medication to help him in his situation. That's not going to help anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think something that I really appreciated in this conversation is when we talk about gender like, it is really messy. You know, it's messy, it's confusing, and I think it's hard to have like a three step process towards gender equality because that is really challenging in the times we're living in. But what I love is that we're able to lean into these conversations and try to figure it out together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I appreciate that, and also like we're all learning. You don't have to be experts, and you've created the space to be like, you know, what is it that you're actually trying to do, but also like happy to challenge me on that. Yeah, because that learning journey never stops.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, I really loved that conversation. Ben dropped a lot of gold. That is going to be sticking with me for a while. If there's a topic you would like us to discuss, or I guess you think would be a great fit for this podcast, please get in touch with us at podcast at mamamea dot com dot au or sliding to our dms on Instagram at but Are You Happy?
Speaker 3: Podcast?
Speaker 2: Also, if you haven't already, would love a review on Apple or Spotify. It really helps the show to grow. And of course, if there's anything in today's episode that has brought up difficult feelings for you, organizations like Lifeline and Beyond Blue are always there for free and confidential support. Thanks for listening. Tune it again next Saturday for another episode of But Are You Happy?
Speaker 3: Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded.