Speaker 1: From Mama Mia. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodney and I'm m Vernum and welcome to our brutally honest review of The Odyssey, Part two.
Speaker 2: Part two. So if you haven't listened to part.
Speaker 1: One, please listen to popcorn first.
Speaker 2: You'll be very confused if you keep going. Listen to part one first. We'll put a link to that in our show notes. But this is part two.
Speaker 1: Now we must return to Ithaca. No, not quite a b plot, but sappening at the same time as Odysseus is sailing around to different islands and progressively just getting his staff killed. Back in Ithaca, twenty years hath passed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a long time.
Speaker 1: Twenty long years. Penelope is still holding strong that her husband Odysseus will return to her. Just crazy, mainly because she doesn't want to sleep with any of the hoboes who are outside. Yeah, and by hotels, I mean the creepy soldiers.
Speaker 2: It's so fair, so fair, But like holding home for a man for twenty years is crazy, I know, But then you don't even do it for like two weeks, I know.
Speaker 1: But then she's got she's got to look after another man. Yeah, and they're not even.
Speaker 2: Like the cot and her like like little weak son isn't okay, can't be king? Sorry, Tom Holland, Well, he wants to be king so bad, but he can't win a single fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just pushed over, muttering in the background.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, I can do it. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: You can't, you can't.
Speaker 2: You're like, don't get me from my biggest steps.
Speaker 1: You can't do it. You like, take us in on the boat next to me. We're not getting off. We're not.
Speaker 2: If I want this movie, all I do is provide commentary.
Speaker 1: We're not the heroes of this story. So you me on the steps where we've all are. We tell him, much like being a podcaster, some people live life and some people talk about it, and we talk about.
Speaker 2: Like one person says something to Tom Holland, and all he says back is you have wise eyes, Athena's eyes. I'm like, you can't to everyone. It loses its meaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he thinks everyone's Athena, and eventually he is correct. Okay, So Penelope is there and for the last ten or fifteen years, A whole bunch of men who didn't go to war have been camped out in her dining room. Yeah, eating a food, drinking of wine, attacking her son, cowards, cows, and of course there is Robert Pattinson playing antinous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get these beggars out of here.
Speaker 1: So he's playing him.
Speaker 2: I like him, don't you? I hate him? God, I hate him so much in this film. I hate him. I hate his guts. Don't I hate him?
Speaker 1: You know? Okay, I know that I have. I have problematic crushes.
Speaker 2: Their arrow through the here akilies, bitch you get yours.
Speaker 1: So I find Robert Pattinson, at least at the beginning. He gets a bit stiffly towards it. I can't deal with that. I find Robert Pattinson gets worth. He does go downhill for me personally, and the crush went away. But at the start of the movie, because I know he's awful, but it's the hottest I've ever seen Robert Patternson, like the actor. I traditionally have never found him hot in a movie role like name weird roles, namely one role where he's hot. What do you mean to say?
Speaker 2: Well, when I was younger, it was Twilight.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't find him hot in Twilight.
Speaker 2: Or even in Breaking Dawn Part one.
Speaker 1: No, not a no, I mean not in any of the movies. I think I was just raised on real hot vampires. So when I saw that sniffling, whiny little one, I was like, real, huge, euation, controlling. Why's you Jackman ever played a vampire? No? Oh, no, I can see where you're mistaken. He plays vampire hunter and van helsing. That's all right, that's neither he nor that. Don't break you Jackman into the gay. I don't think he's even he's ever even been at Christopher Nolar movie? Is that crazy? He's waiting for the call?
Speaker 2: What wasn't he in the Prestige? Oh he was?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're right. Oh no, no, I keep that in, keep that in. No. No. I was trying to think why I've seen his because there's a there's a list of like famous actors who have never worked with Nolan, and a list of actors who allegedly would not ask back and like Hugh Jackman's name is on there because he worked for the same people over over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hasn't gone back.
Speaker 1: I think the pro I don't think that's against two Jackman, I'm sure the project hasn't one.
Speaker 2: Well, he did Greats Showman and he wore a top had in that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the same as being in a Nolan movie character anyway. Yeah, I find Robin Pattinson very hot as the coward Tineus something to think about later, but he is the one really leading the charge. He will ye.
Speaker 2: Wants to marry Penelope, so he's kind of like he hates hate.
Speaker 1: T Melicis is his name, Melicus.
Speaker 2: Hates Amelicus, but at the same time because he wants to win Penelope over because Penelope really loves her son, he againstwards, against the odds. He also, in the beginning plays is kind of like protective figure, but more for like show to show Penelope that.
Speaker 1: He he's challenged. A very different story when he goes into her chain and he's trying to like really talk her into it, and he's like, no, Timillicules can be the king unless we have a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mess that up. We mess that up.
Speaker 1: Because he was kind of alms winning her over to them, and so they're all just sitting in the dining room waiting for I guess for her to like just finally give in and choose one of them to marry. And the only reason she's been able to hold them off is that she's making a tap street and she says, when I finished the Taple Street, I will marry one of you. But at night she unravels it a little bit, so she never.
Speaker 2: Reaches the end.
Speaker 1: Twenty years has she's been working on our street?
Speaker 2: Because if that was me, it would actually take me twenty years. I wouldn't even know what to start. How many knitting projects I've started, and just never.
Speaker 1: I did not even tried. I can't. I once tried to sew on a button. This is in the last few years. Because I had I had all the stuff and I had the button. I was like, how hard could it be? I watched a YouTube tutorial to YouTube tutorials. I could not get that button to stay on. I don't even get it to like get in there.
Speaker 2: And like they didn't even have like YouTube tuatorials back then, so it probably could have taken me twenty years to figure out.
Speaker 1: Not even that. Honestly, they come in and be like, you cannot finish that tempestuy, and I'll be like, no worry, no problem, don't even.
Speaker 2: Started like three times already. It's just a very He's just a tangle of warm I'm somehow in it now.
Speaker 1: So while creepy Robert Pattinson is trying to marry Anne Hathaway, trying to woo her, trying to woo well, yeah, he's trying to try to take her kingdom, one could say Timlochius has had enough. Yeah, he has heard some stories that his father is still alive. He knows it's crunch time.
Speaker 2: So obsessed with his father even though he's never met him. Okay, I'm sorry, but move on.
Speaker 1: Well, he can't move on because he thinks he is hearing stories his dad is alive, and that's just going to solve all of their problems because he knows that all of the men, the fifty or so men that are camped out in the hall, eating their food and drinking their wine, he is the only thing standing between them and the throne. So they're going to kill him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which would be quite easy because he's very week small.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just from Holland everyone's talking about how he bulked up for this role.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, can.
Speaker 1: I just say just super quick that everyone's talking about how hot and manly he looks in this role. And I kind of thought that too, But then I saw spider Man Brand New Day.
Speaker 2: No really, I haven't watched it.
Speaker 1: Peter Parker circar spider Man Brand New Day walks all over.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to watch it. I've never been like a Tom Holland fan girl. I really found him like very where the exact same age, and in my head, he's like five years younger for some weird because he's been playing a teenager for the Yeah, he's got like a baby face as well. He just seems very young to me.
Speaker 1: He's thirty and he was playing a teenager like the last couple of years. But Spider Man's all grown up in the New spider Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, but he's like he just gives young and like, I don't know, well, it's like I think he's an amazing actor. But I've just never had a crush on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never had a crush him too. That's just that's a legal thing. I'm a lot, I'm a lot older than him. But yeah, look, Peter Parker slash Spider Man would have sort of the situation out pretty quick. But unfortunately to me, like a doesn't have those skills, and so he flees Ithaka and heads to Sparta. This Sparta, yeah, thank you for that. He goes to Sparta to talk to Menilaus, played by one of my all time TV crushes, John Berthnall.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, who's also in Spider Man. Brandy Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is Brandy Day. Yeah, yeah. Yeah. He's also famously Shane and The Walking Dead. He's played a lot of other things.
Speaker 2: Very good looking. Yeah, he is a good looking He plays Manilayus so well. He does.
Speaker 1: You can kind of hear his love. Everyone's got their own accent in this, and a lot of them are like New York.
Speaker 2: Everyone just is doing their own thing.
Speaker 1: Everyone's got their own vibe. They're like, we're not even going to pretend that we're actually in ancient Greece or anything like that, because some people are like, oh my god. He says like Robin Pattson says to Tom Homland, like I'll be your daddy, And people are angry about that. They're like, he wouldn't he would have said father, And everyone's like, he wouldn't have even said that.
Speaker 2: He would have been speaking Greek.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and none of you people like, so we won't get into all the casting controversy because we've already talked about that, and everyone who was up on arms about Lapeter and stuff, they're just all wrong. I'm not going to entertain it. But everyone's like, oh, Anne Hathaway is the correct choice, but Lapeter Yongo is the wrong choice Greek. Neither of them are Greek. And also, Helen of Troy is a fictional character. She was born from an egg, so let's not start cutting straws about what color of hair was anyway, So Tamelichus talks to Helen of Troy, who is back with her husband, and she's not happy about it. She did not want to be rescued. But it was never about yeah, it was never about Yeah. It was also just never for Helen or Troy. It was never like him got them going to get her back. Wasn't a love story. They literally just wanted to destroy Troy and take their stuff. Yeah, And she was just kind of like the reason she was made the reason. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then like she feels like everything bad that it happened since has been in her name and in the actual story, like she wasn't kidnapped, she had an affair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the King of Troy. Well, it depends what interpretation you look at. In some interpretations she was kidnapped, and in some interpretations she ran away for love.
Speaker 2: I say, ran away for love? You get Ulyssis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I love that better for her, that fictional woman. I love that better for her. So that's happening. But then we have to circle back around to odysseus An island. Here we go Odysseus. Well, this time they do not. This time they're all you. They don't get off the boat except for one guy, oh yeah, gets off the boat. This and now we have come to my third favorite seed the entire all.
Speaker 2: This like next scene happens in bam bam, bam bam bang.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so beautifully done. This might actually be my favorite scene the whole movie. So they are sailing and they're coming to the island of the Sirens, and if you hear the Sirens song, you will throw yourself into the water and kill yourself. Yeah, And so they devise a plan where they'll put wax in the ears so that none of the men can hear the sirens song and they can sail on past. And then Odysseus for shit. Synkiles decides, not that I haven't put you guys through enough. He's like, what if we've lost so many of our men. We have no food, we have no water, we have no hope. What if I was the first one to live through hearing the Sirens song? Wouldn't that be fun? Let's put everyone in danger and tire leader to me's such a pickmy, we get it, You're strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they tie him to the mass of the ship. Everyone puts their wax in their ears and they start to go past. At first, I'm slightly disappointed when I see the Siren Island.
Speaker 2: I know why, Why is it because you can't really see that?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, it isn't that the point of the that is the point. But here's the thing, Emily, here's the thing that I didn't bring up on this podcast. You know how I'm super obsessed with like sasquatches, and I'm like super into their mythology and how they interact with like human history and like all the alleged sightings and stuff like that. I also have that for sirens. I just haven't been able to bring up on this podcast before.
Speaker 2: Ma's your chance.
Speaker 1: That's my chance, So strap in for another hour of Laura's Siren Mythology. No no, but I know a lot. Hey, a lot of the spillers said they did want my Subsquatch podcast.
Speaker 2: I think you should pitch it.
Speaker 1: So if you guys want a Subsquatch podcast and a Siren podcast, please do write in. Maybe they can have a crossover episode maybe no no, no, the Odyssey too. They exist in different worlds, Emily, so I was really excited to see what Nolan's interpretation of the sirens would be because they're described so differently in mythology. Sometimes they are just beautiful, human like women. Sometimes they do have a bit of a tail like a mermaid, and the but the most important one in Greek mythology is that sometimes they have the head of a lady but the body of a bird, and that's that's how they depicted in a lot of images from Greek mythology. Insteady oh my god, I'll show you some pictures afterwards. I'll show you my favorite paintings where they have the bird ladies. There's a lot of famous paintings that have the sirens like that, and I thought, oh my god, is Nolan about to have like half bird half women like sirens, and the practical effects of that we're going to blow my mind. So yes, I was hoping for my birdly Sirens, which is like almost like the body of a hawk and then just the headed neck of a beautiful long Yeah, And they climb up to the boat and like fly over the soldiers and look up the painting. It's really shake it's chic, so it's expecting that. So as the boat's going past, and it's such a beautiful moment of filmmaking and cinematography because the mist is there, there's a song playing, but obviously it's not the Sirens song because we're not supposed to hear it either, and you're looking through the mist and you can see the silhouettes of these women and it's so so incredible, and it's like you're straining to see them, but you know you shouldn't see them, but you're desperate just to know what that would be like. And that is what the Sirens song is. You know you shouldn't listen, but you're desperate to know what it would be like.
Speaker 2: And it's also how you can see them but you can't really see them. And then they also have like seals and stuff in front, which is like famously what pirates and people who are out of it for a long time would get mermaids mixed up with with like do you go your seals? So I thought it was like very clever because it's like you can imagine like being on a boat and like just like squinting and like what it's like the waters glistening and you're like you can't really see what's going on. So I think it was brilliantly done because that's how they would have seen them.
Speaker 1: That is so true. A sailors would be out of the sea for so long, they would like have no food, no water. They would only see other men. They would go like go mad on the sea and they'd see a jewgong and imagine it as a beautiful woman. Wow, she's hot, Andong's like is that looking at me? Weird?
Speaker 2: Jumping into the.
Speaker 1: Like you imagine anything worse. I'm like a man swimming towards you though with scurvy. That's what they would have, a man swimming towards you with scurvy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's scary, that's what you's.
Speaker 1: Ugong's famously don't like humans. Their ancestors were attacked, so most of the men keep the wax in their ears smart they rote. Ogysseus is dreaming and sobbing and begging to be let go, but thankfully because they haven't had food for a while, he's not strong enough to break free. Yeah, And he describes the sirens song as like a delicious itch that you need to scratch. Yeah. And then one poor sailor overcome with the Dugong women and the bird woman pulls the wax out of his ear and jumps into the ocean and swims away to his death.
Speaker 2: And that's his right.
Speaker 1: And also sometimes let men do what they're going to do. And the whole time he really, you're really close.
Speaker 2: Our guy Hamish Pattel is just like he's like looking at it, dissy has going what the hell's going on? He's looking at his men who are just like rolling, this is too much.
Speaker 1: And he's like I didn't even want to come this way, and like a dissy.
Speaker 2: Has just bloody help mate, like you're like in charge. I get it, but like you're literally doing nothing but like being tied to the.
Speaker 1: Mast exactly so that he could say, it's just so we can have bragging rians. Later on, the other.
Speaker 2: Guy jumps in, So then there's one sailor who's just like by himself on the realm.
Speaker 1: Like that's unfair. Yeah, that's unfair.
Speaker 2: So well, wait, and what I have to say.
Speaker 1: So that magical beautiful scene is my favorite from the movie because it's just so eerie and gorgeous. And I hope Christopher Nolan makes a Siren spin off. They haven't had the big screen treatment. There's no like good siren. And don't tell me about that terrible siren show. That's bad. There's no really good siren. That's not a siren, that's a mermaid. They're very They sometimes are intertwined in mythology. I could like do a dissertation on this, so don't don't get me started. But her dad was Poseidon in that iteration. Yeah, yeah, no, sometimes that's that's not a link in that much in Greek mythology.
Speaker 2: Because I remember Emma Roberts nearly got killed by the should have had a field day in the because she's experienced that before.
Speaker 1: Oh, because she was scared of the water. Yeah, well, she wasn't scared of the water before. She was scared of the water after this, they keep going, and Odysseus obviously knows a few things. He learned a few things in the underworld. He learned a few things from Circe. And one thing he learned is that more of his men are going to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they say she's probably like and by more we mean all of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, no, But he has a choice to make. There's two different monsters. The boat is going to go past the famous whirlpool monster. I believe it's Sharbras. Don't at me. I wasn't alive at ancient Greek times. I don't know about the big sea monster and cause it in a whirlpool. He can go past Sharbras and lose all of his men, or he can go past Skiller Scullar Scollar s c y.
Speaker 2: L l A Skyla.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think the six headed sea monster from Greek mythology is called Skylar Skyler. She'd name if so. No, I haven't even seen that name written down. So there's a there's a whirlpool monster that sucks the ocean into it, sucks all the boats into it and kills everyone. Or they can go past the passage and the cliffs and only Odysseus knows this that if they go past, they will just lose like a handful of men, and six men more than a handful. Someone would say, yeah, half a dozen, and he obviously decides to lose six men instead.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he didn't tell his men that. So when they.
Speaker 1: Tell them men that it all be like you and your fantasy, that will be like under the boat.
Speaker 2: But he actually like tricked them and he was like, let's go through the whirlpool, knowing that they would suggest going the other way, which is what he wanted them to do, and make it like make it their decision, and they did, and then six men died and then himesh pital.
Speaker 1: Great though, just a moment for the six headed serpent again, one of my favorite moments. I just I'm I'm just like such a kid in this section. I just liked all the monster bits of the movie. Everyone's like, wasn't that scene with Anne Hathaway so powerful?
Speaker 2: Might no heads got like six meals out of that compared to when they got like four.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, it's it's a kind of a lesson in restraint that I would never be able to do because I would be like, let's have the whole monster on screen, but Christopher Nolan's like, you just see the serpent heads coming down, and that guy's dead. That guy's dead, and that guy's dead, and everyone's screaming head of diseases, like, hey, it's four to two more ago.
Speaker 2: It's just like it kept going row row row. And then everyone learns soon that he knew that was going.
Speaker 1: To happen, and they confront him, and then they completely lose faith in him, which is why when they get to the island with the Sun God Island, the Sun God Island, and they have he makes them promise not to kill any of the cattle on the island, and he's like, and there's a lot of cattle. There's a lot of cattle. And these men are stuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they get stuck on the island because they have to wait for the winds to change, otherwise they can't go back to see. So they're sitting on this island for days and days and days with all of these cattle around them, not able to slaughter any of the animals. Are basically just like drinking water and eating berries. I assume off the island.
Speaker 1: I don't even that you think you should you think you went into any of these islands you would eat a berry. That sounds like that's not what I don't know.
Speaker 2: These men seem very confident.
Speaker 1: And saying, you know, you know those berries belong to some god who's going to have an issue with it and curse them for touching a berries. They can't really eat anything.
Speaker 2: So they fall asleep. He wakes up to Athena. Athena is standing there and he follows her Zadea and he sees this giant pit with all of his men in the pit. They've slaughtered a cattle and they're eating it. And he was like, do you really think the gods wouldn't have noticed? And they will. They said, we were worried you would notice. And it's like, it's not me. You have to be scared of. I wanted you guys to live.
Speaker 1: They're like He's like, like, hey, the gods aren't going to see we're in a pit.
Speaker 2: Obviously we thought this through. They're not going to see anything. And then the minute they finished their meal, the winds change.
Speaker 1: And they're like, oh boy, time to get back in the ocean, because so far the ocean has treated us. Soon's like, you idiots and now Zeus is involved. Oh yeah, and he's not happy because that was his cattle. And the god's famously not good at sharing literally anything, and so Ogyssees is just so devastated for them, even though he put them in this situation, because he's like, you're all growing to die, and they're basically like, we'd rather drown than stuff. Yeah, and drown. They do.
Speaker 2: Drown, they did, they did.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it's only funny because it's a fictional story.
Speaker 2: That nighttime scene of them on the ship was so scary black and they're just getting like pounded by waves.
Speaker 1: Those waves are so huge. Their boats already, their boats already on its last legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their boat struggles.
Speaker 1: And that would be especially terrifying for someone like you because you stay on the boat for safety. Now the boat is the most dangerous place to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but unless you're where Odysseus is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's always the right isn't he.
Speaker 2: He's always in the right spot. So the boat gets cracked down the middle. There's this big thunderstorm going on, and that is when you see Odysseus realizing that, oh this is where his men died, and he is on one side of the boat. All of them are on the other side of the boat. They all see him. Then they all start like saying, pray for forgiveness, ask for forgiveness. So they all know they're going to die and.
Speaker 1: They know why and was not good in hindsight.
Speaker 2: No, godsaw, godsaw, Jesus cried, don't get those not Jesus and Deuce. He saw he was like, that's my cow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have all the cows, but I want that specific.
Speaker 2: He calls favor, that's my favorite cow, the one you took. Calls up beside and he's like, hey, do you want a tag team that?
Speaker 1: Besides, like I've already been chasing these guys. I would actually love this.
Speaker 2: He's like hell yeah. Thunder waves and then they all crash, they drown, but Odysseus gets kind of like washed away on another island.
Speaker 1: Yes to the Island of the Nymph. Calypso played by Charlie Ron, who a lot of people have had an issue with in this movie. Really they have outfits like business sheet. I know that's the issue people. Oh, they're like Calypso so far ahead of the game. Yeah, she's dressed for comfort and she looks great.
Speaker 2: She could go straight on a runway.
Speaker 1: From one hundred percent. That's the issue people have because they think that Charlie's then as Calypso looks like she washes Instagram face that she's come off a runway. At some point, someone's like, does she have one of those funnel towels, because she like funnel taels him dry. It was like a microfiber. I was like, well, she's like a goddess nymph hybrid, so maybe she's ahead of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she knows how to dry someone down.
Speaker 1: And also, I feel like Sharlie stron is one of those people who just has other worldly beauty.
Speaker 2: She's like, you know, the most beautiful people in the world. Obviously she's gonna play a goddess and look like a goddess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if that's Instagram.
Speaker 2: But with Zandaeya, like, I'm like, these guys just look like goddesses, so obviously they're gonna look like it when they play one.
Speaker 1: Yes, so true. So I was I was okay with her casting. So she takes Odysseus to her island and like helps him recover and feeding.
Speaker 2: Him the lotus flower.
Speaker 1: She falls so that that's I'm trying to ruin the book for you because you're reading it.
Speaker 2: Well, I kind of know what happens.
Speaker 1: There's lotus eaters in the book, which is a whole situation.
Speaker 2: I watched Percy Jackson.
Speaker 1: The amount of people have seen this movie being so unimpressed because they're like, Percy Jackson did this and more. It's so true though, if you guys haven't read the Percy Jackson books, seen the movies, which I know are controversial, or watch the New Disney Plus show, which is great. If you love the Odyssey, watch Percy if you want to get into the nitty gritty, Okay, if you want the other side of the story story. Yeah, he goes through in Percy jack saying, God, that's a that's a good story. And then Calypso of course falls in love with Ogysseus. Yeah, everyone's just falling in love with this man. So she's like, yeah, don't give your.
Speaker 2: Men right by this point. If I was if I was Calypso and that guy, I'd be like.
Speaker 1: Besides, I'd be like, is Hamesh Patel available? Yeah? The actor all the character bring justice for him. If there's someone a nymph is going to fall in love. That would have been him in his gorgeous face.
Speaker 2: To see us at that point was like really going through it.
Speaker 1: But alas she's left with a rugged Matt Damon. And at this stage, even though to us it's been two hours, it's been nearly like two years for him on that boat. Three years, three years on the boat. Oh god, So he's looking worse for wear. He's got all of his friends killed, he's made enemies. I still don't think he's anything to eat in the three years because they keep not getting any food.
Speaker 2: God, they didn't have beauty standards back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also Matt Damon not only tried, they tried to age his face up a bit to show the passage of time. But in his trailer before he went down to film those scenes, he would scream and scream and scream for hours. To like age his voice.
Speaker 2: Must have been a great neighbor. Tom Holland probably like, what the hell man?
Speaker 1: No, I think Rob Pattinson's trailer was next to his. He said, I thought you were having a painful bowel movement, and I was like, don't bring that into it. See Rob Pattinson real life. I mean that quirky.
Speaker 2: Sweet boy, but just like I just know he los he loves the chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so clypso falls in love with him because it's a whole thing of like what women say, it's like bachelor syndrome, like if you've only got one man around, like you kind of just fall in love with him. And I think that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Between one man, like every ten years washes up on your island. Yeah, you'd be like, I guess this is my man.
Speaker 1: For the next ten years. He's a fixer up on change him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can by like getting rid of his whole memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So what she does she does with the lotus flowers. So there's a whole scene of the lotus flowers in the book where like the whole crew eats and they forget who they are and they stay there for like a year or so. But I guess Christopher Nolan had to make cuts. So eventually clips I was like, Oh, you really love your wife. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: She's like, stop beating the loadstile and he's like, but I love it, literally word for word it. She's like just stop.
Speaker 1: She's like, it is making you forget your family and your kingdom. But she says that, oh, I guess I'll let you go. She says that a casual seven years after he's been there, so she's.
Speaker 2: Got anxious attachment to her.
Speaker 1: And then and then do you think she got the ick? Like she she got him to stay there for seven years and on the seventh years, she walked into their little shared tent on the beach and she looks at him eat, just sitting there eating the lotus flower, and she's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, this is very much. It keeps collecting the bones off his ship. Yeah, making a raff which he doesn't even realize he's doing. Yeah, it's trying to go home, trying to go home. And he does go home, and I'm like, if you just did that in the beginning, that would have been built a raft, built a raft and just like fallen asleep on it. And then he ends up home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's a lot closer than and also Poseidon has forgiven him and Athena steps in. Well, the story is obviously like Athena steps in and she's like, hey, guys, we need to let this guy go home here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's suffered enough, he's suffered enough.
Speaker 1: So he makes it back to Ithaca. I never thought we were going to get here. Also, obviously Zendea is Athena is amazing. He has a brief role, but it is important. Yeah, there's a lot of kind of chat out there, is like is that actually Athena or is it a hallucination or is it like, yeah, was the girl killed in the Trojan War? Was that like Athena or was it just a townsperson who's now taken the face of Athena? Yeah, in his mind, in the eyes of Ogsse.
Speaker 2: I love how they do that. It gave like the audience like a little plot twist. I no one even expected a type of movie that needed a plot twist.
Speaker 1: I like the idea too, that it's not completely clear cut, like you have to do a bit of the work in your own mind to sort of figure out what version of the Athena story you think is in Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, you can see Zendaa's ear piercings. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see it.
Speaker 1: It's like Athena took out O hoops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can see the same in Calypso like you's got two ear piercings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's hard. They're covering up. They spend too much time covering up everyone's tattoos.
Speaker 2: No, Christopher Nolan, that's either he or there.
Speaker 1: I thought actually that Zendea was incredible and Hully's and it's just there's so much going.
Speaker 2: On though, sorry Pierce, I is these men have tattoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Things could be so much worse. But makes it back to Ithaca, where he finds his growing son, Timelochus.
Speaker 2: And just when you think it's about to end, we get into actory.
Speaker 1: What did you think it was gonna happen? At that stage they were gonna hug in the movie would be over.
Speaker 2: I literally thought it was gonna end, and then it went on for another forty minutes, and it was like Jesus.
Speaker 1: Christ, because at that stage we're not even at the final battle. This has all been a build.
Speaker 2: And then I was praying to Zeus. I was like, let the suffering end.
Speaker 1: Let this movie end.
Speaker 2: By the suffering, I mean me in this cinemaan and hath the way like I.
Speaker 1: Finished my popcorne, I finished my drink. I as soon as Hemelochus and Odysseus hug That's when I got my last wine because I had four wines that it's a long movie. That's when I got my last wine. I'm like, home, stretched on, here we go, Here we go. So they have to sneak into the castle palace. I'm unsure of what the structure is called. Yeah, yeah, kind of like, yeah, let's go with class home their home. They have to sneak Odysseus inside because obviously, back in his mind, he probably thought he would return to Ithaca in a blaze of glory and he would walk in there and he would kiss Penelope and he would high five Temelochus and it would all be well, and his subjects would cheer for him. That the king has returned after twenty years, but after Agamemnon's warning in the underworld to be careful when he returns, it was like.
Speaker 2: Suss out the area, Yes, see what's going on.
Speaker 1: He's like, things have changed, man, you've gone for twenty years. Some people dislike you. And Robert Pattinson's in your house. He's drunk all the good wine.
Speaker 2: Exactly that line basted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he sneaks back in as a beggar, and because of Zeus's law, which is a huge do you think about the movie The Law of Zeus, that like, you were supposed to give food and shelter and hospitality to any person thinking that The idea is it could be Zeus, and you would never turn Zeus away. Very few people in the movie practice Seus's law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Paula Femus didn't do it. The giants didn't do it. Circe kind of did it once a hand was forced. The sirens did it. They were like, come on over, but everyone else was like, that's not a thing. So Odysseus comes in dressed as a beggar, and of course antinous Robert Pattinson gives him a hard time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Odysseus is like, don't worry, you'll get yours. But then he mentioned Simon, Yeah, and Robert Patterson's like, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know that name. And then all the other guys so we're also trying to win over Penelope. Yeah, were like, hey, don't you know that name? And he was like, no, I don't know that name. And then Odysseus. Because Penelope always talks to everyone who comes into the castle after they all have their big feast, she has a one on one with Odysseus without knowing who he is through the screen, which, oh my god, I would love a screen.
Speaker 1: Like that, would you, though people have to talk to you through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a dinner party and then I'll be in my own room. And then there's a big screen.
Speaker 1: And only the winner of a shooting contest is allowed to come and past the screen to chante you exactly.
Speaker 2: And then Odysseus doesn't confess who he is. He basically just says that, like, Odysseus is on his way, he's alive, but he's not here yet, and he's a changed man and he can't come back right now. And she gets really mad and she's like, you know what, I've been waiting here for too long. This damn tapestry has been done like five times. Yeah, I'm going to marry someone. So take that, Odysseus, and you pass on that message to him. And then she announces to all her potential suitors that she is going to choose a husband if they can complete her challenge.
Speaker 1: Yes, and her challenge is they have to be able to string Odysseus's bow, which is very hard to do allegedly and fire like a like a difficult shot through, like all.
Speaker 2: Of these axes that are lying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so one by one of the men come forward and none of them can do it, including Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even try.
Speaker 1: He just doesn't want to be believe Rob Pattinson would not be able to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, you've proven your point.
Speaker 1: And then Odysseus.
Speaker 2: Steps up and he's like, get this beggar out of here. And he's like, no, I deserve my chance. And then Tom Holland's like, yeah, he deserves his child, not.
Speaker 1: Even just using it anyway now.
Speaker 2: Also shout out to the dog. I want to mention that a moment of silence when Odysseus saw his dog for the last time, and then his dog wagged his tail when he recognized him and then died. He died, Yeah, waited for his master.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, beautiful.
Speaker 2: I think he's still outside to the name. Anyway. Odysseus manages to string the bow and he goes Tongue and Penelope. He's like, oh my god, he's back. Guys. You guys, he's back. And then he shoots the arrow, nails it and then starts killing them all.
Speaker 1: Then he was like and they're all just like, oh my god, it's Odysseus. So sorry, Burke, no, lock the door, Lock the doors. You're all dying to flaughter, every single one of you. And then we have like one last big battle. Because massive battles, this movie was like we need one more time where like we just see men get slaughtered with a with a sword. We need more death and more destruction, and I guess in this movie you do need that kind of heightened ending. And I want to spoil the book for you, but in the book he does that. And then Penelope's like one more challenge and she was like, can you move our marital bed? And he knows it's made of stuff you can't move. It's like a special tree that.
Speaker 2: You does that, and she gives what She's like, I no, it wasn't enough. You know what fair she's been wedding a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, one more test, if you can move our marital bed. Oh no, And he's like, you can't move that bed because I made it. I know what it's made of. I'm paris freezing from home as words. Would you believe redesign? And she was like, oh doss, it's you, only he would know you can't move the bed and imagine if that's how the honesty ended.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: And then after we sat there over three hours and Hatho was like, move this bed and Matt Damon's like it can't be moved, and she was like yay, and then the movie just ended there.
Speaker 2: I would have love that.
Speaker 1: I was just a slow clutter. It's amazing, sligh but stare. Christmin Nolan's like, oh, give you guys an action movie, plebs and so there was like no renovations. Yeah, He's like, I'm not ending this epic movie that's the biggest blockbuster of all time with a conversation of two married people discussing why they can't move their bed.
Speaker 2: That's so true and that was his right and that is right, and that's why Emily Wilson's upset.
Speaker 1: She was like, you miss the best bart of the book, and this is.
Speaker 2: Where you get the biggest rubber Pattison Eck in that fight scene, yeah, because he's just like standing like a coward behind this pillar, going get the swords, get the shield, fight him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was only kind of hot in the beginning when he was like a bit brooty angry, because as I said, he gets more snivelly and cowardly as it goes along, and I don't i'd in vite with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like such a satisfying death when Odysseus finally kills him. But in my head, it's like the same like feeling of satisfaction when John Wick kills the guy who do Yeah, I like I feel the same sense of like pride, yeah, and like happiness.
Speaker 1: I think that's the one kind of thread that we take away from all stories is you can't mess with a man's dog. No, no, you can't.
Speaker 2: You don't mess with a man's dog. And they both did, and they both died horrible death exactly. And Odysseus has like all of these arrows in him, like he's been slashed. He looks like he's on his deathbed.
Speaker 1: He doesn't die, though, but you think in Penelope things and the audience, unless you've read the book, is led to think that he's about to die.
Speaker 2: For all that, I would have been actually really annoyed if he died after twenty years they killed him, he wrote to someone, but he just dies in her arm. Yeah, she goes back to the tapestry. Yeah, literally, but he lives. He lives, and they sail west.
Speaker 1: They sail west as she had one of them two. The first time they make Timelochus king, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Guess he's killed.
Speaker 1: He kind of helped. He went and helped his.
Speaker 2: Daget in the palace slash castle. Yeah, I guess, and he was willing. I just know that castle is getting raided. The man a minute has taken. As he's leaving, another ship passes and he's like, oh God, I guess I'm.
Speaker 1: Not going out. Little Tamelicus is now in charge. And I was like, oh nice, because the only reason people weren't going touching it is because they're like they feared Odysseus my return. They're like they watch him sail away. Oh no, oh, it's hard to be Tamelochus, But good to be Tom Holland when you're playing Peter Parker much better, I don't know, much better. And then Anne Hathaway Matt Damon as I'm just using your words.
Speaker 2: Had the happy ending. They sail away.
Speaker 1: She sells away the haunted man she hasn't talked to for the chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think once they got on the boat, they rekindled their romance or they kind of felt they drift apat to.
Speaker 2: Twenty Christopher Nollen said, no sex, So I don't think so.
Speaker 1: He's like, no sex, not even off camera. Two sides of the bunk beds. Oh okay, Well we've just rubbaged one of the greatest movies of all the time. Such a good movie though, such a good movie. I loved it so much. I wish we could do like a we should have done three hour podcast and to commemorate this movie probably probably could have. We squeezed as much as we could. Guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, the Odyssey. I hope you liked it. And if you haven't watched a movie, don't worry. We didn't do it justice to worry.
Speaker 1: We literally hit every point we didn't. Someone'll be watching it and they'll be like, wait, where's all the crazy stuff and the and Laura were talking about. I know some of that was just us making things just.
Speaker 2: For you, just for you, like like Odysseus, we just make things up.
Speaker 1: We'll just check out side of the story.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much Spillers for listening to our brutally honest review of The Odyssey Part one.
Speaker 1: And Part two. How many people do you think you just got to the end of part two. We're babbling on about a dead dog, and they're like not worth it, Like, oh, to see us, his journey needed to be quick. Oh that pulled off. Oh I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up the fresh pain for you.
Speaker 2: No, but oh my god, what it like? I think this is our first like two pardon and.
Speaker 1: Really this is a very long story making and we have not learned our lesson if this happens in the future.
Speaker 2: Like Emily Wilson, the first woman to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Do not forget.
Speaker 2: You can find us on socials. We're on Instagram and TikTok, so make sure you follow along. We'd love to see you there and we will talk to you very very soon.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,