Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from MoMA Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm m Vernham and I'm a London. A little surprise, Laura Bronnick is still somewhere on a cruise somewhere in Europe living her best life. And West are Kids working. If you don't know Ash, where the hell have you been?
Speaker 1: Ash?
Speaker 2: You filled in a few times on this podcast. You also had a radio show, Ash London Live, and I remember you've interviewed Tailswift, Big Deep.
Speaker 1: It always comes off.
Speaker 2: And you have a new podcast.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's called Hopeless Romantics and it's all about romance books and films.
Speaker 1: It's pretty much me and.
Speaker 3: Guests swooning over book boyfriends, movie boyfriends, sex scenes, romantic scene.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun and I absolutely love doing.
Speaker 3: It and it's a great excuse for me to just read romance books and watch rom coms all day.
Speaker 1: And my husband kind of even get angry.
Speaker 3: I'll be like, we need to watch House of the Dragon, and so it'll be like, so maybe it's work.
Speaker 1: We have to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm making money off of this exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm going to watch Irish Wish starring Lindsay Lohan a second time this week because it's well.
Speaker 2: On the show today, we are talking about Sabrina Carpenter's new interview with Riety. Some of the stuff Sabrina said has got me and Ash disagreeing with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is. Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's just different perspectives on her career. But I love a bit of disagreement. There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: It's what the world needs more of people disagree nicely.
Speaker 2: I agree with our disagreement. Yeah, one hundred percent, thank you. But first, do you have some news for me?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I'm really excited about this because I am thirty eight years old, which means that when The Simple Life og as Indie Paris Shilton Nicole Richie reality TV show, when it first came out, I was watching it in real time and.
Speaker 1: Understanding that you don't have to saying that history with the show.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I remember saying when I was in my Tumblr era, like a lot of the reblogs was of Nicole Ritchie and Paris Hilton in that era, and they looked very cool. But that's like the most I knew about it, fair enough.
Speaker 3: Reality TV was a very new thing. Nowadays, every TV show on television is reality, but back then it was not. There was no social media. It was a huge deal to have this insight into the lives of Nicole Ritchie and Paris Hilton, and this show was responsible for so many quotable moments of the age. The reason we're talking about it is because they're rebooting it, which is crazy because they've both gone on to have huge careers and families. We now know that we've got more backstory on them. They probably don't even need to do this, but they're doing it, which I think is unbelievable. So we don't know much about it thought other than that was spotted in Q outfits that kind of match, which I'm.
Speaker 1: Absolutely was that.
Speaker 2: That thing was that that thing in the.
Speaker 3: Original The crazy thing was that Nicole Richie back then would have been like a size twelve and free leed f Wood was used so often to describe her and.
Speaker 1: As a young teenager, that was very normal.
Speaker 3: And then you look back on it now and you're like, what the heck I do have a bit of audio that I want to play for you, which I think if you are not familiar with the Simple Life, is something that will kind of contextualize it very nicely for you.
Speaker 2: Now, do you guys hang out at Walmart? I've always heard the people hang out at Walmart?
Speaker 1: Why I don't want to because like they're so often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paris Hilton didn't know what Walmart was. That was this one tiny grab of like over and over these girls.
Speaker 1: They were so funny and they were so removed from reality, but it was real. I don't think they were faking half of it. Like, why would Paris Hilton go to Walmart?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is this way she kind of got like her quote unquote dumb persona was from this series because now when you see her shows, like when she did that Netflix series Cooking with Paris, I really liked her and I was like, is this the kind of same persona she was putting on like from the beginning, or has she now kind of like shifted her ways.
Speaker 3: It's the same persona. And when you watch it through that lens, you realize how much she is because she is playing a character the whole time. She knows what to say, she knows how to play it. It's going to be funny. And especially now that we know what we know about Paris and how deeply traumatic her childhood was, I think it's even more incredible to watch her go out and just be hilarious and own this.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what they're going to do with this.
Speaker 3: It's such a crazy thing to reboot something twenty years later when your lives are so different. So I have no idea what it's going to be like, but I hope that they go back to that kind of tongue in cheek.
Speaker 1: We don't know anything.
Speaker 3: We can get away with saying kind of problem things because it's we're the ones that are being laughed at. I love Nicole Richie, I love Parasitalton. I'm cheering them on. Go the simple life.
Speaker 2: Go the simple life. You sold me, Dana Nana. So, Sabrina Carpenter has done a new feature interview with Variety about her life and career and her repertoire. So we need to unpack some of the stuff, she said. The interview starts off. I think they're in some like music store. I love the interviews where they like have a full setting. So I feel like I'm actually there.
Speaker 3: It's very nineteen nineties if that doesn't happen anymore, because we don't have a lot of these big cover stories. And back then, yeah, the journalists would use a cafe, they would use a cool shop, they would maybe go to a couple of the places that the artists loved. These days, it's like probably just on zoom, so good on you variety.
Speaker 2: Good on your variety. And it's so interesting that you said it's very nineteen nineties, because I feel like that is Sabrina Carpenter's look that she goes for. It's like the nineties bombshell look. So maybe that was like a little thing they were trying to get into, and they were talking about some previous musicians that she found really interesting. But there was a part that I just couldn't stop thinking about, and that was when they were talking about her relationship. So the interviewer first brought up the love triangle Sabrina Carpenter was in with Joshua Bassett and Olivia Rodrigo. That was I think the first time audiences who weren't just her gen Z like Disney fans started to recognize her because we love like a little celebrity love triangle. And also I think that was a time where Olivia Rodrigo was getting really big and we were like, who's this girl she's talking about in all the songs.
Speaker 3: So I was aware of Sabrina Carpenter before I was aware of Olivia. But it was very obvious from the very start with Olivia that she was about to be absolutely huge. And what I love the most about the whole thing is that both of the women in that love triangle, both of their careers have exploded. And oldmate Josh, what the fuck's he doing?
Speaker 2: Speaking of relationships, there was a part in the interview that I wanted to talk to you about, and it was when she was talking about her current relationship with Barry Kurogan, who stars in Saltburn. Everyone knows him. He was massive on the big Oscars run. I'm just going to read out this little excerpt which was a quote from her. So she was talking about her new song Please Please Please.
Speaker 1: Please, Please Please Please.
Speaker 2: It also stars him as her love interest in the music video, so obviously I feel like if you put your boyfriend in your music video, you can't avoid talking about him, So she obviously had to spill Beans, and she said he loved the song. He's obsessed with the lyrics, and I'm so grateful for that. I don't want to sound biased, but I think he's one of the best actors of his generation. So getting to see him on the screen with my song as a soundtrack made the video better and all the more special.
Speaker 3: The first of all, I just want to say, is in my acting involved in being in a music video, Like that's a big leak for her to be comparing her music video to like Zalburn.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think she was saying that she was lucky. If I was saying this quote in the interview, if this is me, I pretty much I would want to talk about how my boyfriend became really big on this massive movie called Salppurn, so I wanted to make money off of that since I'm already in a relationship with him, so I'm just going to put him in my music video. Like That's the business angle that I would have approached it with. I think calling him one of the best actors of this generation is I wouldn't say far fetched, but a bit too a bit too gushy for a variety interview. That's meant to be about you and your career.
Speaker 3: I understand what you're saying, but this is still the honeymoon period of their relationship. I think for famous people the honeymoon period go for longer because they're separated more like a people like us, honeymoon is like maybe a month because you're seeing in person every day.
Speaker 1: When you're newly.
Speaker 3: Into someone, you gush. Of course, you're telling oh, your friends how amazing they are. You can't stop talking about them. You insert them into every conversation, even when it's irrelevant. So I think we need to extend her some grace because that's.
Speaker 1: What you do.
Speaker 3: He's what I think you can do it within the first six months of the relationship if you're famous, and then after like six years, like if Blake Lively said that about Ryan Reynolds, would be like, oh, the dedication is so beautiful because they've been together a while, the mutual admiration has grown or honeymoon period.
Speaker 1: Anytime in between that is when I think it's cringe.
Speaker 2: I agree that when you're in a relationship you want to gush with your friends and family, but where not her friends and family, like where her audience, We're on her business side of her life, and it's not like you and I come on this podcast and we're cushing about your partner, like both a muscussion about your partner or talking about like the dates I've been on or anything. And I think it's just really risky, especially at such impressurable age she is, she's younger than me, that she is having this massive career, she's performing on world stages, she's doing these massive interviews with these huge publications, and to use up real estate of these opportunities to talk about a boyfriend that you've been with for less than a year, I feel like it's really risky and you might be regretting it in a few years time.
Speaker 3: I understand, However, I think about this, Okay. All she can do is work with the current news cycle, work with what's happening moment to moment to keep her career alive. So she can't be thinking too much about the future. She has to be thinking about in this world where so much content is being consumed and put out in songs and a new cycle? So quick, how do I state in a new cycle today? And you know what, it's worked, because what are we doing them? We're sitting here on this podcast discussing.
Speaker 2: It that's true is working.
Speaker 3: Like I always say, everything is contrived, nothing is accidental. We have to keep this in mind when it comes to these celebrities, and it's something we're going to talk about in part two of this episode because Taylor Swift obviously comes into it as well. Everything these people say is for a reason, unless they're like super new artists, or they're coming from the Internet where there's less kind of management and pr around it and it's sometimes a bit more organic.
Speaker 1: I don't know, call me skeptical. I just think.
Speaker 3: Everything is for a reason. And like I said, she has to stay.
Speaker 1: In the new sackle minute to minute.
Speaker 3: She can't be thinking about how is this going to read in ten years because also in ten years' time, think of all the media that would have happened in between them and now the albums and the songs and the gossip.
Speaker 1: Will we even remember?
Speaker 3: Are artists even thinking about their legacy anymore when everything is so quick?
Speaker 1: But I get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: If Please, Please Please is her biggest song ever and her boyfriend at the time is in the video.
Speaker 1: Look that could be cringe. I'll give you that. What if he turns out to be problematic.
Speaker 3: What if he says something very racist and gets canceled and then she stuck with this video.
Speaker 1: It's the risky take, birds.
Speaker 2: It's the risk your take. We will be getting more into this interview after the break.
Speaker 3: So quote from Sabrina in this writing interview, she said, I'm nine hundred inappropriate jokes away from being a Disney actor, but.
Speaker 1: People still see me that way now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's just because we're in Australia and all of us had the same kind of access to Disney personas maybe I'm just too old.
Speaker 1: But do you agree with this am? Do you see her as still a Disney actor or.
Speaker 2: As a post No, I don't see her as a Disney actor. And I think what you're saying there is false. I think that's something that Disney kids are trained to say because the Disney kids before them said it, and they just keep saying it and saying it. So every time they feel like their career is kind of like in a weird lull or like someone's questioning them, it's like a safety net for them to be like, I'm still trying to get out of that Disney Sace I'm still trying to like make a name for myself. And I don't know if that's me talking from an older person's perspective because I was actually too old to see her on Disney Channel. Maybe like the younger generation do know her as a Disney star. I know her from The Kissing Boot That's the first time I saw her, which was a whole netflixed movie. Yeah, yeah, and I just thought she was like really quirky, really cute, really small. She was also in this movie called Tall Girl, which she was like the tiny.
Speaker 3: God she was in Tall Girls. I've never seen the actual film. I agree with you. I think maybe it is an Australia thing on age thing, But if anything, I think she's just known for being so little.
Speaker 2: So little and cute and a little like beautiful bombshell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I might got in trouble for saying this, but I think putting everything on like people knowing me as a Disney actor is a bit of cop out.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe, and Alvisoly, if we look at like a lot of the other artists that have tried to break free from that, even Jojo Siwa, maybe it's an excuse for them going very quickly, very overtly into the kind of sexual side. Yeah, I don't know, because there's a big difference between the year old actor and a seventeen year old pop star. I'm you're a person and a seventeen year old person. So I think maybe there doesn't need to be an excuse because people should just understand that now and you think, oh, she's saying the A word, and then I'm like, oh, she's in her mid third.
Speaker 1: It's like she's allowed. Maybe we just need to be like that've grown up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're growing up, Miley.
Speaker 1: Like that is that whole like smoking weed, hump and stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I one hundred percent agree like Britney Spears Miley, I think they definitely went through the whole, like trying to escape the Disney branding, and I think because of them, we become more forgiving of the next generation who were Disney stars. But I don't think Sabrina Carpenter really had that issue, and I don't think she should blame people seeing her as a Disney actor on like where her career is now.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, if you look at her discography, she's made a lot of music. She's not like one album d but I think she needs to maybe give her suff a bit more credit, if anything, and maybe give audience is a bit more credit.
Speaker 1: Especially younger generations now, like they're just more forgiving, they're more aware of the world.
Speaker 3: We're more forgiving in women being sexualized, I mean, not as much as we should. Yeah, she does talk about it a lot, this whole like Disney style, I'm trying to get out of it. I think now it's time to just embrace the new her and where her career is at at the moment and just kind of move on from it. But like you said, that's such a great point. She's taking cues off the people that have gone before. But yeah, she's like worked.
Speaker 1: Really hard to re establish herself, like she too with f Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: For goodness sakes, Like speaking of Taylor Swift, she did talk about her and talking about taking cues. I think she takes a lot of cues from Taylor.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think especially when we imagine I don't want to use the word contrived because it's not contrived.
Speaker 1: Maybe this little bit, but there are teams of people around the likes of Sabrina Carpenter and Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Everything is more controlled than we think. So I think for this Variety interview, there would have been meetings with PR people. There would have been meetings with marketing, with the teams to really go over the messaging, the kind of responses we're going to be giving, the kind of things we want to put out, which is especially important when we think about the fact that this interview did touch on the Skims campaign that Sabrina did. Now, for those who don't know Kim kardashi and tell Us, I have got some history. Kim Kardashian owns Skims. Sabrina did a Skims campaign while still in Taylor's inner circle. I think she just wrapped up the era's support when she did it.
Speaker 1: It was very close together. I corrected, it was a lot.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling she was out here in Pellegrino in Surrey Hills that all went down.
Speaker 3: Yes, So she has given a quote in this interview. She said the post about me having to ask for permission. No, she's one of my best best friends and we grabbed dinner or text and catch up like you would with your best friend, which is a great quote. Makes Taylor look good, It makes her look good. It comes out of beef when we think about it, like she couldn't say no to it? What if it got out that she said no, and then Taylor Swift looks bad because it's like you're stopping your friend from making money.
Speaker 1: I think, and this thought has just come to me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's genius by Kim Kardashian because if Kim Kardashian reached out off with the contract and then it was like snubbed by Sabrina, that's a worse look for Taylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a headline right there. But I also think it's genius for Taylor because one hundred percent, like I know she said she didn't, but I am certain that Sabrina Carpenter would have had to ask Taylor Swift, of course, can I do this discussion?
Speaker 3: At the very least, Sabrina's people called Taylor's people and yes, this is the thing. How are we going to handle this? What's the messaging going to be? And they all would have agreed.
Speaker 2: They would have agreed, and Taylor's team would have been like, you just have to talk about how great Taylor Swift is as a friend, because every time she talks about the skims campaign, it's always accompanied with how good Taylor Swift is as a friend, and.
Speaker 1: She's the best theories. Her people are the best series. She's the best theories. She will turn any situation that happened.
Speaker 3: She could run over an old person and would all be thinking at the end of it.
Speaker 1: It's the best little win win. Yes, Sabrina wins, Taylor win.
Speaker 2: It's literally like the perfect case study of how to navigate business within a feud YEP.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree more. Wrap it up, Wrap it up ten out of ten. Love done, girls.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to The Spill today. Thank you Ash for joining us. This was so much fun.
Speaker 3: It's always so lovely to be on this podcast and just have a chat about the stuff I actually care about.
Speaker 2: Isn't that great We were going to talk about it. It's just like girl chat. Yes, we will be putting links in our show notes for everything we talked about today. And while you're in your podcast app, can you please do us a favor click the follow But it not a lot of people follow us, but you listen to us, Come on, come on us, We know you want to. You listen to every episode. We will really appreciate it. Also, Ash London. Our bestie is back tomorrow, so you'll hear us. You'll hear from us at three pm.
Speaker 1: Bye bye God,