Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma mea podcast Muma Mer acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters.
Speaker 2: This podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: This episode discusses suicide and won't be for everyone. If you or anyone you know need support, there is a list of services available in our show notes. There's something special about meeting your person later in life. You have a stronger sense of who you are, shaped by everything you've been through, the highs the lows, and you move with a kind of calm confidence that just fits. And that was certainly the case for Amy and Matt.
Speaker 2: We'd spend our days going out to the bush to catch yabbies, or to cut firewood, or just listen to nature. Two dogs, often often lambs, often rescue kangaroos, and we just have this little happy life in this forty foot donga. Honestly, I thought I have one the lotto.
Speaker 1: But life always has a way of testing us. The longer you live it, the more you're asked to carry, and over time that weight can take its toll. Even with the stronger support around you, some burdens can feel just too heavy to hold.
Speaker 2: He was showing away from therapy, but when he met this psychologist. He came home and he's like, things are on the up. You know, I had no idea that this would happen to me.
Speaker 1: Two weeks later, I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an ex Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships past through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lived them. Meet Amy, thirty seven years old and a single mom to a beautiful eight year old daughter named Heidi. It had always been just the two of them, not for lack of trying.
Speaker 2: I'd been dating on Tinder, and I'd had a lot of bad dates, and I and up all hope of finding someone. My Tinder history was colorful. I have a lot of interesting stories from that actually, including but not limited to, one guy who confessed that he liked to eat crayons over while we were eating dinner and asked me if that would be a problem moving forward. I think the thing was with my Tinder experiences, I was always trying to I didn't really feel good enough, and I was always trying to impress the person, Whereas what I really needed to realize and spend time on my own, was that they needed to impress me. And by this point I was thirty seven, so I think everyone around me, including me, didn't think I would end up with someone. It was always just me and Heidi from day one, so from when she was a little baby, and that was really what we had all thought would be my future.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy loved being a mum and she and Heidi had a beautiful life. She did want to find a partner. She had so much love to give and wanted to be able to share the beautiful life she had created with someone else.
Speaker 2: I was really lonely and I didn't want to be on my own. I wanted to share my life with someone and I really wanted for in particular HARDI to have that father figure. I worked really hard. I worked full time from when she was a little baby. I really didn't have any time off when she was born, and so I really wanted to just have that family unit. And although I was scared of it, have some support from someone else, which the longer I was dating and not meeting someone, I almost got scared of having support because I never wanted to lose it. That's when I just became at peace with not even looking anymore. And that's when the universe said to me, here you go, here's your man.
Speaker 1: His name was Matt. He'd swiped right as a g and he quickly asked her out on a date. With her mindset as it was at the time, she went into it knowing it was just going to be another meeting that goes nowhere, or so she thought.
Speaker 2: He wasn't the kind of guy that I would usually look into. He's a gorgeous guy, but a country boy, you know, very ozzy, like a little bit bogan, big long orange beard. I didn't really put much effort into the date, to be honest. Usually I would have bought a new outfit or put lots of makeup on. But this particular day, Heidi and I had roller skating class, and I dropped Heidy off to her babysitters and went straight to the bar where I met Matt. And I was even running late when I walked in and I saw this man in this baby blue collared shirt. He was so tall, and he had the biggest smile on his face, and I just thought to myself, oh damn, I'm in trouble here. I didn't believe in love at first sight, but I knew when I assume I've got goosebumps. As soon as I saw this guy, I knew that was it. It was actually a very interesting date. I went to the bathroom at one point in time and I came out and he had struck up a conversation with a couple who were there celebrating their fortieth winning anniversary. And he'd actually organized a doubles game of pool, and I loved that about him, that he could just struck up a conversation, you know, so down to earth organized this game of Paul and this couple actually had their first date forty years ago at that same pub, and they asked, how long have you two been together, and we said, we've literally just met, and they said, no way, you guys are destined to be. From there, we decided let's continue on the evening, and what better way than to go to the National Park and walk through an abandoned railway tunnel. And we were walking towards this abandoned railway tunnel and I'm kind of like, all confident, and then this kangaroo jumps out in front of me and I leapt up into Matt's big arms, and he just he just went, it's okay. And I sort of folded. At that point in time. I went, Okay, you know, like he's got me. He did come back to my place, and we always refer to it as the third date because it makes us feel better about the fact he came home that night. But yeah, we walked into my little townhouse and I cracked on and lit the fire, and Matt was just standing there looking at me, thinking, I've never dated a girl that can roll up her sleeves and light a fire. I love like I like this girl a lot. And then I decided to put some Netflix on and we chose the Ted Bundy movie with Zach Efron in it. And when I was telling my colleagues at work about what this date like Howard had unfolded, they said to me, were you actively trying to push this guy away? And I said, absolutely not. He's just company was just so awesome, and he was just so fun. And it never occurred to me that it was super strange what we got.
Speaker 1: Up to that far, but it wasn't strange for them, And isn't that the sign you've met your match. It was no surprise from that very first or third day. They didn't have eyes for anyone else.
Speaker 2: It was definitely a given. He was such a gentleman, so he actually asked me and he even said, you know, I'd really like to be in an exclusive relationship with you. And we just had organized for me, I think, the following weekend to go up to the farm, which he originally was a bit embarrassed that he lived with his mum. They had the family farm since the early eighties, and his mom was elderly, and they lived in two different dwellings, and he lived in a donga, which for those who don't know, is a transportable home. And I didn't find that embarrassing at all. I thought, oh, tiny living. I've always wanted to do that. But yeah, when I first went up to the farm, I thought that I should drop a pin to one of my friends just to let them know where I was, because seeing all this rusty machinery, and I thought, oh, I'm not in Kansas anymore, you know, like it was a lot. It was a very different environment from what I was used to, you know, farm animals everywhere. I thought it was a bit rub zombie or Devil's rejax. He'lls have eyes, you know, the old banjo diddling ding ding ding ding, Nindy.
Speaker 1: But of course she hadn't needed to worry. As soon as she saw Mad in his happy place, it quickly became hers too, and that day provided what can be a big step in any relationship.
Speaker 2: It was the first time I met his mum, Colleen, and she just was the most beautiful, the opposite, just tiny, but these big blue eyes and just so engaging. He had a daughter named Sally, and she was a year younger than Heidi. The first time the girls met was hilarious in that both of them were clinging onto each of us separately, just sort of looking at each other from behind us, And all of a sudden, Heidi said to Sally, do you want to follow me? And Sally said yeah, all right, and off they went, and they became thick as thieves from there, and things moved very quickly. So I was commuting with Heidi from where we lived near the city out to the property, and it was a lot of driving, and we just wanted to be in each other's lives all the time. And I think when you get to that age, if you know, you know, it felt so natural. And when Colin and Matt asked us to move in. We just did. We moved in and that was I think after about six or seven months. So I moved in to this donga with Matt and sometimes Sally and eventually two dogs, often often lambs, often rescue kangaroos. And we just had this little happy life in this forty foot donger. And yeah, it just really was so natural. Basically we'd spend our days going out to the bush to catch yabbies or to cut firewood or just listen to nature. We did a lot of camping, a lot of fo wool driving. We just let a simple life, climbing trees. You know. We all had a horse and so we'd ride the horses as a family. Very quickly. I was right in the thick of it, nutting sheep with Matt or helping deliver a lamb. We would talk about the future. We wanted to own a thousand acres one day, continue looking after his mum. I just loved how safe he made me feel. I've also loved the fact he looked after his mum. The other thing I liked about him is he was so popular and he had so many friends. And where we live, they have a brotherhood they call it. But it's a group of male friends. They call each other the brothers, and we would have a lot of social things with them, just at each other's properties, so bonfires, drinks, and when he entered the room, the party, the party was on, and he would just do silly things, like one time he just went off to the back of his patrol and grabbed out a man keeni and put that on. And he loved his body, and he had no shame about his body whatsoever. He was just so happy, very much a contrast from where I had been in my life, where I was always wanting to be loved like this was a proper I always said that my grandfather, who'd passed away in twenty seventeen, I always said that my grandfather sent Matt to me as a gift, probably a year into our relationship. He had been working for twenty five years at the same workshop. He was a steel fabricator, and he wasn't happy. And he in particular the on site work where he'd have to interface with an architect, say to build some stairs that his boss should actually be doing that interaction. He found it very stressful. So we made the decision that my income could support our simple life and that he would be a stay at home dad. So he actually stopped working at that point and looked after Heidi. I wanted him to just explore what made him feel happy and have that time to be around the farm, because he was always so busy leaving the house at seeks and getting back at seks and sometimes he would drive to Sally's mom's house to say good night to Sally and put her to bed. But he was just such a good dad, and I really wanted him to just take a beat. He would make Heidi's breakfast in the morning, and he would be the one going on the school camp. He was the silly dad that would be at the sports kind of wearing a tutu and that kind of stuff. He just really slipped into it, and I loved that, and Heardy just adored him, and Sally adored him, and the girls were always hanging off him, like hanging around his neck, literally like monkey's hanging off him. She called him Mattou, my Mattou, and she just loved him. I would say it took a couple of months for her to adjust because she'd always it had always just been me and her, but she she just absolutely loved him, and she loved having a sister. And I think that it didn't take long for them to and I was hesitant to introduce them to each other too soon, but again, it just it just felt so right. And probably a couple of months or no, probably a couple of weeks after I met him, so I always wanted to have maybe another child, So Sally was my bonus daughter. I very much always have viewed her as that, having this bonus daughter in my life who I just adored, and I adored watching Matt with Sally, it's just everything. Honestly, I thought I have won the lotto. That's how I felt.
Speaker 1: There's no prizes for guessing what came next.
Speaker 2: Every year we have a massive bonfire at our farm. We spend a whole year building it. It's usually around August or September. And so this particular year, which was twenty twenty, so we were coming out of COVID lockdowns, etc. It's probably the first big gathering that we'd had. Matt went and asked my parents if he could marry me, and they said yes. My mum and dad loved him. And then the next morning we were all hungover Dusty and he just rolled over in bed and he said, hey, babe, do you want to get married? And I said absolutely, And then we started planning this amazing wedding which we had on the property. It was always a dream of Matt's family to have a wedding at the farm. So it was one year after we got engaged, pretty much to the day that we had the wedding, and we had this big sea through Marquee under the stars. We got married under two gum trees. We had the best night and we had our wedding dance to the Pretender's song I'll Stand by You, and the lyrics to that song became so important in what was to follow in our love story. Very shortly thereafter, because Matt's mum got very sick. It took a while for us to work out what was wrong, but she was diagnosed with scleroderma, which is an autoimmune disease and it basically builds up collagen around your body and affects your immune system. She was in and out of hospital and it was a very stressful time and Matt and I really came together as a team. She spent a lot of time in bed and we thought maybe she was depressed, or because she was so active before, she was always feeding chooks and doing gardening and just always at parties. She would be at parties to the early hours of the morning. But all of that stop. She didn't want to come out anymore. And then Matt's half brother, so Colleen's son, David, He had a tough life and had druggen alcohol issues and he died at the age of about fifty three. So that was obviously a really hard time, but little did we know what was to follow there. About six weeks later, I came home early from work one day and Matt had been out during the day cutting firewood because he was due to have his tonsils out that week. We would never usually leave Colleen at home alone, just because in case she or you know, one of us was always there. And I got home from work and Matt said to me, Ugh, the old chook, that's what he called her. The old chook has let the fire go out in the house. And I said, Babe, when's the last time you have checked on her today? And he said, I better go down and do that now. And I said, I'm right behind you. And I was just putting my farm clothes on, and I was two paces behind him, and we came down to the house and she was actively dying, and Matt just screamed out to me, called ambulance.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, if there was ever someone you wanted in your corner and a crisis, like a real crisis, that was an absolute machine. He just scooped his mom up out of bed, put her on the floor, and we just went out at CPR for about f forty five minutes. We had to keep going till the ambulance arrived, and that took a really long time. And when she was pronounced dead, Matt was in the fetal position and he let out his primal screen and it was just the most horrible thing. You see, his heart broke when he lost his mom. What I saw in that moment was like a five year old boy. That's what I was looking at, a little boy who lost his mom following the death of his brother and then losing his mom. He'd lost his dad in twenty eleven, and it was a really hard time and we'd only just really been married. We didn't know why she died, and we couldn't really get any straight answers and we eventually got the coroner's report and it revealed that she had overdosed. So we felt.
Speaker 4: Bad that we had intervened in the way we had, but we.
Speaker 2: Had to obviously, but she was ready to go. The house, the farm, the property itself felt so scary, just heavy and dark after she passed away. And the one thing I will say is the community, the brotherhood, their wives, everyone just wept in and a good friend of mine pulled all the curtains down, pulled all of the bedding off. Anything that could be washed got washed, got cleansed. But there was a real heaviness over the property, which really sort of set the tone moving forward. So we had to launch straight into and obviously we didn't know why she died, and so we were trying to figure that out and navigating her estate. And sadly, Matt has another brother, but their relationship dissolved with the finalizing of the estate, so he also lost his brother during that process, which was just tragic. So how did we cope. We winged it. We just had to muck in and get the job done. And I did a lot of work helping Matt to regulate his emotions because he really even just every day inconveniences. If two of them happened once, he would get really frustrated, and so I spent a lot of time trying to help him regulate and calm him down. And he would always be so gracious afterwards and say, oh, baby, help me so much, thank you, And he would just the big smile would come back, and we'd head out into the paddic or we'd hit with poor a drink, but we just mucked on, you know.
Speaker 1: We just.
Speaker 2: One foot in front of the other was our mantra. We had a really difficult time. He lost his horse's best friend passed away. In this He was very strong, but when he would get upset and he would really cry. Seeing such a big, happy guy just cry, it was really hard. It was just awful. And we were looking forward to bigger and brighter pastures every year years. We'd say, twenty twenty three is going to be our year, babe. What twenty twenty four is going to be our year?
Speaker 1: They promised each other, for better or for worse. What they hadn't realized when they made those vows was just how soon they would also feel the true gravity of their wedding song. Even in your darkest hour, I will never desert you. I'll stand by you. Then, less than two years after Colin's death, something happened to Amy through which she would need Matt to stand by her.
Speaker 2: I felt really sick. I got sepsis and I was being told I was fine, and I ended up within a day from going into septic shock. I had multiple major surgeries over the space of eighteen months. Matt was so angry that this could be happening to me and that he didn't know how to fix it. Nobody was listening to me, and he kept taking me to the city to demand them to look at me and do some tests and find figure out what was wrong. And I just really got gas lit. And he felt that he just felt injustice over it. In and out of hospital because we weren't getting answers and major surgeries that led to complications. I was in a wheelchair for a period of time, and I really just lost that that spuck. He couldn't come into the hospital. He was too angry, and so I had made it clear that, you know, my expectations were that he would hold down the ford at home, and he was struggling to do that at that point. His ability to cope with daily inconveniences really impacted the way the house was being able to run. It made me worry for Heidi because she would call me in hospital and say, Mamma, Matt is not happy tonight. And it made me frustrated because I was the one that was sick, but I was still satellite parenting the situation. So I felt like, in a way I needed something from him that he wasn't able to provide me with, which was, I guess, really difficult on top of the pane, and psychologically I was not in a good place. I was really struggling to, I guess, connect with where.
Speaker 3: Matt was at.
Speaker 2: I started building up a resent there that you know, even as much as I was communicating those things, it was almost like he would get overwhelmed just by me saying that, and so to de escalate the situation, I guess I was still cracking on. Even when I was in my wheelchair, I was still cracking on, and I was really questioning where my person had gone. I guess in a relationship having resent but also loving someone, those two things can coexist, and it's a very difficult space to navigate. In particular when you're physically unwell, but when you're mentally unwell as well, your mind will tend to think, well, where do we go from here? You know, there's only so many things I guess that one person can take. And we kept going back to that I'll stand by you, those lyrics, you know, like I've got your back, But it was very hard to acknowledge that love that was the undercurrent through all of this.
Speaker 1: They were also dealing with the hows and whys around what Amy had gone through and whether it could have constituted medical malpractice.
Speaker 2: Matt was adamant that I pursue investigations on the matter, even though I was still fighting for my life. He was angry, and so we started couple's therapy to help with the communication piece and also to make an informed decision about whether or not that would be a good idea for me or us as a couple. I was having individual therapy. It came out pretty early on in the couple's therapy that Matt wanted to seek individual therapy as well. And actually my psychologist told me that there was a mental health master class being held in the city which was free. He wracked up in his work cute and he got out and he said, I'm here for the mental health talk. And the psychologist said, well, this is embarrassing, Matt. You're the only person to show up. And he said, but it's fine. We get to have a chat just the two of us. And this psychologist would go on to be an important part of the story, but Matt had an hour and a half with him, and this psychologist specialized in men's mental health, so he had a way of phrasing things in such a way that Matt could relate to. He came home and he's like, things are on the up, you know, And he was just sort of replaying the way that the psychologist had explained things to him. I think just the way he was able to describe to Matt and create analogies for him of mental health being like looking out the windscreen or looking at the dashboard when you're driving. You need to have an accurate balance. It's a juggling act of how you sort of If you spend all your time looking at the wind screen, you wouldn't know what speed you're going, for example. But if you only looked at your dashboard, then you wouldn't see other cars and you'd have an accident. So he had a way of explaining these analogies that made sense to Matt, and I was so happy. I just thought, Okay, everything is going to be okay. And I had no idea that this would happen to me two weeks later, fast forward two weeks as part of the investigations that Matt desperately wanted me to do, Monday was the deadline to submit all the evidence to lawyers regarding my medical issues and preparing that kind of evidence and more paperwork, and that was such a big body of work. And I had told Matt that I needed the whole weekend uninterrupted to do that. You know, babe, just just have a weekend whar you're chill and the kids are looked after, and I'll just be there plowing away through my spreadsheet. He didn't know how to use technology, so he had sausage fingers and he's boiler maker, and he was very, I guess self conscious about his lack of technology skills. And he could have helped me, if it is sat with me for five minutes. I could have told him how to name file names. But the point was it was just easier if he Because there's a lot to do on the property, and so it was going to be easier for me if he was just doing that, but he kept coming in to my office. I was like a toddler that's wanting to reach out to its mum. You know, hey, I need help with this quote. Because he had started his own business by then, which was going really, really well. And I reminded him that this quote wasn't due till the following Friday, and that I would be with him at three pm on Monday when this work was submitted, but then there would be something else, and he was just buying out for my attention, and he wasn't, I guess, his normal bubbly self. It was manifesting as he was angry at me, but I think he was actually angry at the fact that he couldn't assist and he felt like he was letting me down and he didn't know how to fix it. On the Monday, I went to drop Heidi at school as I usually would. It's quite a drive and I came back and Matt was on the four wheeler on the road and he looked happy, you know, And I still had to complete this deadline, right, So I went to my office and he I was working all day. He was he had his clipboard and his glasses on, and he was walking around fabricating stuff. And he had his GP appointment at twenty past three, which was to get the mental health plan so that he could continue working with the psychologist from the masterclass. When he got off the phone, I could hear that he was whimpering, and so I stepped up from my desk and I said to him, baby, are you okay? And he said, yeah, yeah, I'm fine. And I said, do you want to just come into my office like privacy?
Speaker 3: And he just switched.
Speaker 2: He went from being sad to his eyes doing this thing that I'd never seen, you know, that vacant looking down at the floor. I was being really calm, but he just said, I'm over it. I'm over it. And he was yelling at me, and I said, what, babey, what are you over? I like, are you over? You know the legal stuff? Your work, the marriage will tell me more own. He said, I just need to go for a walk. In the couple's therapy, we'd made a verbal contract that me regulating his emotions wasn't good for me and I needed to stop doing that. So he made a verbal contract that when he needed to go and self regulate, he would say, I'm going for a walk. We would do to have a couple's therapy on Zoom at four o'clock. So this I'm over and I'm going for a walk was about twenty to four, and I thought, Okay, he's going off for a walk and he'll circle back. And he didn't come back, and I was so angry.
Speaker 4: I thought, how dare you you know?
Speaker 2: That morning I had bought the makings for our favorite family meal. I then went to cook this dinner. And I'm still angry because he hasn't shown up, and he hasn't answered his messages, and he hasn't been online for an hour or so. At this point, I text him tease ready and didn't hear anything, and put dinner on the table and heid he said, Mama, can I go fun match to me? And something came over me and I said, no, baby, I'm going. It was raining and I walked outside and I walked up to his shed and there was probably one meter gap. You can see. The light was on, and I think my subconscious experience what I was about to see before my body and my eyesight was ready to accept it. So I actually, when I walked in, I looked to the right, which is sort of a storage area where a car is. He wouldn't likely be there. But then I looked to the left.
Speaker 3: And I him.
Speaker 2: I felt like I had sunscreen over my eyes. I couldn't see. I had my phone on me, and I called Triple zero and we all know that I've done CPR before on his mum, but there was no CPR that was required. The next thing I knew, some neighbors rocked up, but then Matt's best friend, who's a policeman and has attended many suicides before, he ran up and he just went, oh, mate, no, And then you just saw his training switch on and he went into police boat and he just said to me, fine, something to cut him down with.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: The next thing I remember is being inside with the ambulance people who tried to check me to see if I was okay.
Speaker 2: I'd been through the whole death at home thing before, so I knew that we were going to be interviewed and separated by the police. And I said to the police I had a disagreement with him, this is my fault, and they said, everybody has disagreements Amy. When he hung up from his GP, the last thing you saying to his GP was I just can't handle.
Speaker 4: What's happening to Amy. So I felt like it was all my fault. That was the one time I didn't regulate his emotions and I stuck to the verbal contract we had.
Speaker 2: Made, and a backfire so badly. I remember all of the whole brotherhood and all the wives were there within a flash, and they were all patiently waiting for me to be the first one to go into the shed to say goodbye before they took him away. I don't remember this, but apparently I went in and kissed him on his phone, and then I'd remember just patting him like you would an acquaintance. We had a beautiful funeral. I got a coffin which was custom printed with photos of the girls all over it, and I promised i'd buy him a Harley for his fiftieth birthday, but he didn't make it to fifty, so I got him a Hollyharse, and the Holly Hearse drove to the service. So he was just this coffin with pictures of his girls all over it on a side car of a Harley and it was the best worst day of my life. Both the girls spoke at the service. They were only thirteen and fourteen at that time. Sally wrote a poem about her daddy and how she never got to say goodbye and if she only had five minutes, and Heidi did a really beautiful speech where she made a few jokes like I even got to drive your new car before mom did. And I didn't ask the girls to speak. They wanted to speak. And I made this.
Speaker 5: Video which was so perfect and so tragic, and it was just all these memories, including video.
Speaker 2: With audio of him being with his girls and with his friends, and I really wanted to honor the person he was. And the psychologist from the masterclass before the funeral, I rang him and I said, I'm too scared ask you this because I'm afraid you'll say no. But can you please be your time to come and talk to the brotherhood about mental health because the day after Matt died, there were about thirty people on our property for weeks and they were working through their grief, just fixing stuff and swearing at Matt under their breath. But one thing that became clear to me is that a lot of them had had thoughts of suicide in the past, and so I called this psychologist and I said, can I pay you to come and talk to the brothers and I'll put on some sausages and some beer. And he said, oh, come, but you can't pay me. And so he came and did his master class in our country town and the whole was full of people. And so it went from the one on one with Matt he had in the city to this room full of men just searching for connection and answers as to why Matt had gone. And that was just trying to give that back, was one of my ways of trying to pay it for it and make Mats find some meaning and purpose. I bought a Bonzie tree and I got a piece of steel from MAT's shed, and I carved the piece of steel. I engraved it with the words you are valued, needed, and loved, which those words are what we should say to our men every day, because they don't know how to they might not necessarily realize that. So I presented that in front of all the blokes, and I was so happy to see everyone there, and I even brought Matt's ashes in. We came back in an hour and they were still going, and they were still going an hour after that, and it felt.
Speaker 1: Great, and it went further than Matt's friends, the community and the brotherhood. When Amy got around to selling one of Matt's old cars, she had an interaction that could only be viewed as a sign from above.
Speaker 2: I did a lot of research as to what I would value that at and I stuffed it up and put online way too cheap, and just had dozens of people messaging me straight away. I knew I'd made a mistake. And anyway, this guy messaged me, this young bloke, and he said, mate, take it down, it's too cheap. And I messaged him back saying thank you, and I gave him the sort of a high level picture of what had happened. And he wrote back to me the next day and he said that he'd been thinking about it, and he said that I actually saved his life. And he said, but he'd never considered what mess he'd be leaving behind for his family. So I think that even though people call me brave for talking about Matt's story, I don't feel like it's ove. I feel like it's necessary. And this one interaction on marketplace of a guy that was just looking out for me. You know. I just think that Matt's greatness is living on even after he's gone.
Speaker 1: While Amy was able to find these silver linings in helping others, they of course were in the darkest of clouds. Her grief is still raw and the heartbreak and gravity of her loss ever present.
Speaker 2: I felt like, as a surviving partner, I had a responsibility to carry other people's grief because he chose. But I understand now that he didn't choose it. I understand he wasn't him in that moment, and I know that he didn't plan to leave us. It's just he was actively making plans like getting his mental health plan and running his business that day.
Speaker 3: Just in that moment he.
Speaker 2: Couldn't deal with it. And unfortunately, I think with suicide it's like another flavor of grief. And I think, as with all grief, losing your partner or husband, you don't just lose the partnership and the other person, you lose yourself in the process. You just put one foot in front of the other and you wing it. If something breaks down, you go to TikTok and you celebrate your wins. It is so scary sitting with your feelings. That nighttime before I go to bed, I sit under the stars, and I'm right in a journal and I'm doing an insane twenty hours of silence challenge to raise money for mental health, and I just keep myself busy. But I make sure that I am in regular so I'm in therapy once a week. And because I was already being treated for PTSD following my illness, I've got like a complex PTSD thing going on. So I keep in touch with my doctors and make sure as much as possible to try and care for myself, which I'm still got my l plates on it that if I'm being honest, but I am learning. I mainly just I mainly just miss my best friend and I'm really lonely in the quiet. Matt used to talk a lot. He never shut up, actually he was so and now it's just quiet, and I sort of think I miss you, and I'm sorry that I'm sorry that I don't get to hear you buzzing in my ear.
Speaker 3: I'm not angry with him.
Speaker 2: I try and feel him in the wind and in the land. And you know, when I'm listening to the horse's grace, I look for.
Speaker 3: Him, and.
Speaker 2: I feel his big love energy when he even when he's gone, like when his mom died, it was scary. I've never once felt sad. I just feel the forty acres of big love. And we'll get there because we have to. I am sad, but I'm safe and I'm functioning and I'm showing up and I'm going to work every day. But I'm not okay. But what is making it better is these beautiful this beautiful.
Speaker 3: Army I have around me.
Speaker 2: It's not just about me being strong. I'm being ware, being held up by everyone around us, and that makes me okay. It makes my heart happy because.
Speaker 3: I know that we're not alone.
Speaker 1: Everyone has an Ex's a Minti Media production and proudly part of the Muma Mea Network. This episode is written and narrated by me Georgia Love and produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momameia dot com dot au. You can support us by following the show in your favorite podcast app and leaving a five star review