Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to cancel, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and as science charges and sentences to them so that we can all move on with our lives. I'm Jesse Stevens and I'm joined by Claire Stephens. Claire, do you have a lazy girl story for us today? I do, and this is from a lazy girl called Aphelia. And I really like that name. Beautiful. Yeah, it's very Shakespearean. It is it is what bit comes up? Okay, justing boom of a boom Okay, Aphelia, She says, I have a laser girl comvision. Great. She then says she's been a regular listener, lovely. A few weeks ago, I was out on a walk. I took my phone and my debit card with me, knowing I'd want to buy snack on my way back home. That's the only reason I go for a walk is to also get a snack on the way home. Yeah, because it's a walk, and then the snack feel secondary, even though the snacks are always primary. Yes, yes, she said, my card isn't linked to my phone's Apple Pay yet, because admit it's actually it's a step. It's a step. But I praise the mental load that she's had to have with not having Apple Pay. I need someone else to put it on my phone, and once it's there, I'll use it. Yeah, but yeah, it's a step. Nearing the end of my walk, I stopped into the shop I'd planned to purchase said snack from. However, upon coming to snap, I know I can chocolate. However, upon coming to pay, I realized I didn't have my card with me, and oh shit, I could remember where I'd last felt it in my pocket, which was an absolute maximum one hundred meters back along the road or I've been walking. The adult thing to do would have been to go back and retrieve it. However, the prospect of adding an additional potential two hundred meters to my walk felt like faster ask Yeah, backtracking, I continued on my way home, and I canceled my card. She's a lazy girl, God, she managed to Counselor how do I want to have done that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: That's the click of a button on that is it? John is quite easy, she said. The follow up admin of having to order a new car an update all of my automatic payment that's always sent to an older dierer yes that have since failed, has been an ongoing pain. However, not going back for the lost card still feels like the right decision. I respect it and I agree. And I had a similar experience recently when we're away and I left a petrol station and my husband, who's obsessed with banking, said, whatever just happened at that petrol station? You were just charged four hundred dollars for petrol, okay, right? And I was like it was a machine, So I was like, I think I might have paid for the petrol before. I don't know. He wanted me to go back to the petrol station, and you're kind of like, the money's gone, the money's gone. I left forty five seconds ago. You want me to turn round and ask someone a question about the four hundred dollars I'm weighing at up? Am I out of money for this holiday? Absolutely? Am I turning around?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Whenever I screw up financially in another country by like overpaying, getting robbed, for example, I always tell myself I'm contributing to a foreign economy. That's a good thing. It's called tourism. Look it up.
Speaker 3: You are about to enter the canceled courtroom. The defendants are celebrities, the chargers are petty. The rulings are final.
Speaker 2: Today we're talking about Drew Blythe Barrymore. Oh Blythe, because I was gonna say, Gwyneth Paltrow is Blythe. That's Gwyneth Sorry, the forty nine year old actor, television show host, and author.
Speaker 1: Hey, I noticed that you made eye contact with booballs, but I mean, I'm not sure it was her wise you were.
Speaker 4: Looking at and that kicking your air.
Speaker 2: Take a sip.
Speaker 4: If you've ever faked it, Oh god, I did it once. I wanted to buy my best one Harry met Sally impression. Yeah, I guess it's also a good way to just end it.
Speaker 2: She was born in nineteen seventy five in California to actor John Drew Barrymore an aspiring actress Jade Barrymore. Her career started at eleven months old. Oh wow, my baby is behind that. Oh imagine Luna. She is not No, she wouldn't know, she'd cry. She's very shy. When she appeared in a dog food commercial, Claire, I would like you to rate Drew Barrymore's first performance. Are you ready for it?
Speaker 5: This is a baby and this is a baby.
Speaker 6: They both have.
Speaker 2: Special nutritional needs. That's why a baby should have his very own baby food and why a puppy should have his very own puppy food. Discuss her a performance Okay, firthly, performance, flawless, Agree absolutely all smile interacting with the dog beautiful. What I will say is that Drew seems to suffer from a similar affliction to what Matilda suffers from, which is that people get her gender wrong. Because in that ad you will notice they referred to the baby of the he ah, and it was okay Drew as a she. From there she played Gerty in Et the Extraterrestrial Et Full and What a perform which became the highest grossing film of all time. I think to this day it's about number three. Barrymore was seven years old. By eleven, Barrymore had an alcohol problem. By twelve, she said she was a drug addict. By thirteen, she was self harming and hospitalized for a year and a half, and by fourteen she was divorced from her parents and living on her own, She went on to star in some of the most iconic films ever Never Been Kissed.
Speaker 7: Sorry, I am ly took me forever to go here.
Speaker 2: I know what she mean? Fabulous? Disagree, scream You never told me your name?
Speaker 1: Why do you want to know my name?
Speaker 7: I don't want to know who I'm looking at?
Speaker 4: What did you say?
Speaker 2: Ex fabulous Charlie's angels.
Speaker 4: Good morning Angels.
Speaker 2: Charlie fabulous? Ever after watched it at school the Wedding Singer fifty First Dates Music and Lyrics, where Hugh Grant was like, I don't think she likes me. Remember she came up in that episode, and most recently she was in Santa Clara Diet. Do you remember that? Yeah, Clarita, I don't know. I didn't watch it. I think it was about zombies. It was very trying to be the Walking Day anyway. Now, she hosts her own talk show called The Drew Barrymore Show.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks for hanging out with us. Can I just share something and be totally honest? I am rocking the caffeine this morning because I pulled an all nighter with my daughter.
Speaker 2: Frankie.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you thought everything goes exactly according to plan at all times around here, right.
Speaker 2: Ah, which I consume solely through TikTok am. I going to get to it comes up a fair bit before we begin. Oh like Drew, Yeah no, always get good vibes. She seems like she'd be lovely in person. Yeah, so I think she's a good actress. And this was a surprisingly difficult episode to prep for because despite being in the industry since she was eleven months old, she's not being canceled that often. What's happened not very often. She seems very sweet and she's had a rough upbringing and come back from that, which personally I find commendable. But it also goes to show how great it was that for somebody like Drew Barrymore, social media didn't exist when she was a teenager because she got to just go to rehab. Yes, But when she was I think she was about nineteen, and she was on Larry one of the one of the Larry's David Letterman, David Lettiman, and she danced on the table and she flushed him, and that's on the internet. Was that cringe? This is the thing. The Internet fucking loves Drew Barrymony all the comments are just like, she's classic Drew. She's a good time, she's fun, she's so nineties. Love her hair, and I'm like, she flashed David Letterman. I'm not canceling, but neither are you. Yeah. So look, I don't decide who's in the cancel courtroom. The culture does. And my structure for today is as follows. The original NEPO Baby. Unemployable by fourteen, She says she'd had a midlife crisis, but I reck and I was unemployable by fourteen. But that's because No, I did make a horrific mistakes at boostoos. I didn't shop for my second shift because I'm not confused at the video shop, So I was unemployable. No Muma called and said, can you hire it back? And they said, okay, Dancing in the Rain is Drew Barrymore a scab? And lastly the Drew Barrymore Show. Yes, the original NEPO Baby, Little Drew was born to two actors, but that is not the whole story. She comes from a family of actors that stretches back. Yess, how many years do you think? I think like three generations? No, God, there was no acting three generations ago. I don't know four hundred years what. I thought the same about act. There was no acting four hundred, four hundred years. I didn't know. This is in my notes. I didn't know the had act just four hundred years ago. I thought they we had farmers. Okay, Shakespeare comes up?
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I didn't do the maths, but Shakespeare hundred vibes. Yeah, now two thousands ish. Cannot be sure, but I'm thinking four hundred years ish. So I'm imagining a great great great great great grandfather or grandmother, probably grandfather because patriarchy in tight. It's Midsummer Night's Dream with his Willy Contra app Yeah, and looking a lot like Drew. Oh, looking exactly like ro Drew's face. Look, you saw her in the dog food commercial. You can't deny her talent. But even Barrymore says she was on movie sets from day one. So when they needed a baby, it's like, how about we get the one suck in the camera because you always wonder you see like a baby in a show, you think it is that it's always the wrong age. It's your newborn and it's a three year old. Yeah, y, that's a plot point that fourteen kilo baby, Why did that person birth a fully f human being. Her godmother is Italian actress Sophia Laren and her godfather is a bit more low key Steven Spielbert. She asked after et if he could be her godfather, and her mum was like, okay, fine. When she was nineteen and she posed naked for Playboy, Spielberg sent her a large quilt with a note attached that simply read, cover up what a good godfather had some advice, I mean no nor sexes, patriarchy, etcetera. But but she didn't have a dad. It's cute that it was his paternal there's a photo of her at nine years old beside President Ronald Reagan. But and this is where I'm always uncomfortable with the NEPO baby stuff. It might have given her a leg up in her career, but her home life a mess. Her dad was an alcoholic left when she was nine, although he'd always been absent, and around that time when her I think she was about eight years old, when her mum was like, babe, let's go cubbing five nights, weet o, no yeap, which brings us to unemployable by fourteen In an interview with the Guardian, Barrymore says that by her mid teens she couldn't get a job. You won't believe it, but all that clubbing and no school meant that Barrymore was chaos. She was stealing a mum's car and, in her words, out of control. She says she was drinking at nine, smoking pot at ten, using cocaine at twelve, which meant she was blacklisted from Hollywood for having reputation as a party girl. Can you imagine a party girl that's just a child? Yes, Okay, So you're a director or a producer and you're out at the club and you're seeing your twelve year old's not cocaine and you're like, ugh, just another party girl going too hard on a Tuesday night, not being like maybe we should confiscate with cane. Yeah, do you need some help, because by my calculations, you should be in year six. You should be year six. Would you like some ice cream with some iced magic, because that should be the fun. Why don't you go to your room and play this great game called the Sims. You should be playing the Sims in a dressing gown. But yeah, it's weird to look at that kid and be like, here comes trabal listing. You just another party girl, just twelve. So she was sent to rehab twice before she was thirteen. Imagine being in rehab, got rehab people. It's like you, no, I'm here wet substance abuse in children, Yeah, I feel like they're just a issue. Then at thirteen, Drew Barrymore's mum Jade, was like, I've had enough. I can't do this. So she sent her to a psychiatric facility for one year and one half eighteen months. She sent her to a psychiatric unit that she couldn't leave. She was like, you're a lot, and it's like, yeah, no shit. On her twelfth birthday she was not in the cocaine. Yeah. That is so sad. And it reminds me of this thing I've heard people say where it's like you can be like when you talk about privilege, yeah, economically privileged, but like family wise, incredibly emotionally yeah deprived. Yeah yeah, And that's what it was left her. And you think privilege is more complicated than simply having parents who happened to be in Hollywood. Yeah, because the cost of that was big. So while she was there, a few professionals advised that she emancipate herself from her mother, who maybe wasn't the best influence, so by fourteen she was living on her own divorce from her parents. She washed dishes and worked some normal jobs for a few years, but eventually she got a role in an erotic thrill out called Poison Ivy in nineteen ninety two, and her career skyrocketed from there. The time she danced in the rain? Okay, do you remember this? No, you don't remember her dancing in the rain. No, I've got the video. It was an incredibly viral moment that the Internet just loved. You're going to remember it when I play it, ha ha. Whenever you can go out into the rain, do not miss the operencity. Come on, comment. Okay, what did you just see? Just describe it visually. People who have heard the audio, but they haven't seen her getting wet in the rain, I see too, very more selfie mode in the rain, taking her glasses off to really being one with the rain. Huh, instructing people to get out in the rain more. All right? Do you think the internet loved it or hated it? Okay? Okay, I think it's cringe in the way that the Internet loves. The Internet fucking loved it. Yeah, the Internet frothed it. People started doing it. One person said it was racist because it was copying a trend that they believed was started by black creators. But then other people came out most like the rain doesn't belong to anyone, and the consensus words that it's actually fine, and Drew can get wet if she want. Yeah, she can be in the rain. But that is something that we love about Drew Barrymore is there's a purity, an earnestness, and a intensity, and any city highly intense, but there's also a joy. There's a joy. She owns it. We know where she came from. M babe. If you need to get in the rain to get through some of your childhood trauma, in the rain, you roll and it's just nice because you're like, yeah, she's in the rain. You know what She's not doing hurting anyone exactly. It's just a bit wet criticizing anyone winging. What I would like to discuss is her call to action, her CTA. She says, whenever you can go out into the rain, do not miss the opportunity. I love the sentiment. I share the internet's general encouragement of Drew healing her inner child. You do you, Drew. I don't like rain because I find it to be a day ruiner. Ya Hey, you gotta wash it. You get wet in your shoes and they start making sounds squirreled. When it begins to dry, you stink like a labrador. There are places in the world, Claire. We were recently in Ireland in the summertime where getting rained on is a genuine hypothermia risk. I don't want to die today, Drew. If I get wet in the Irish summer, I'll die. Yeah, I can't withstand that kind of My fingers will turn purple, my lips will turn blue, and I'll just keel over. It's all fine for you, Drew. I think you're actually just in your backyard, so you can go get into a hot shower. You ever got wet on the way to the station before an eight hour day. You get to the office, everyone asks, what's wrong? Well, I got wet and I smell like wet dog and lazy girls. What don't lazy girls ever have changed clothes? Okay, why would anyone have a change of clothes. I'm obviously talking about an umbrella. Oh my gosh, I never have it. I make a gamble every day. Don't have it anyway? Is Drew Barry Morris gap. The problem with everyone loving you because you were Josie Grosy, you had that sad brain injury in fifty first dates and you got murdered in screen is that when you make a perceived misstep, the people get upset. Do you remember the writer's strike last year, no contract, no me. For the first time in fifteen years, more than eleven thousand movie and television writers in Hollywood's Writers Guild went on strike.
Speaker 4: This is absolutely an existential moment for the rank profession.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I remember Drew barrymore being involved somehow, and this is the one time I've seen her get a little bit canceled. Okay, it was a big deal. It lasted for one hundred and forty eight days, and basically all the writers banded together and were like, you got to pay us better, and also, don't replace me with chat japity. As is the case with any strike, you need lots of people, if not everybody, to do it. You need the industry to feel what happens without you. So films and television shows were largely paused or shut down, and the ones that continued did so without writers. It was an understanding, especially if you're a signal tree to the Writers Guilden of America. It was like you shut down what you're doing. The things people were sacrificing, like writers were taking their kids out of school. No one was working. Everyone was just sitting there waiting for this to end. But the only power you had for this strike was Hollywood's at a standstill. Right in support of the strike, Barrymore withdrew from hosting the twenty twenty three MTV Movie and TV Awards because she's a signatory. She's quite outspoken about it. She supports the writers solidarity Dance in the Rain, but then her TV show is due to come back towards the end of the year, The Drew Barrymore Show, and everyone obviously expects it will be paused because everything it is struck, which means that it's not allowed to go forwardcause got riters on it. But she releases a statement to her Instagram. She says the show was built during sensitive times COVID and it's coming back this season. Tune in. She says she'll commence season four with astute humility, so it's fine. Things will not So she was just coming back with the Riders coming back. I think she was just going to do it without the Riders.
Speaker 6: The writer's strike is now at one hundred and thirty two days and now the Writer's Guild of America is planning a protest. They are taking a stand against Drew Barrymore. Production on Barrymore's namesake TV show will start soon.
Speaker 2: So Alissa Milano, Deborah Messing, a bunch of other writers and actors came out and were like, honey, no, not how striketed. That's not the deal. You can't just start your show again. You can't do it. I will say, I did think if you were a bit of a dickhead slash just honey needs some money. Yeah, when that was happening in Hollywood, if you were just a little bit like, i'll do some work. Yeah, oh, I know everyone's striking, so just on the side, I'll do it. I'm available, and also I have no ethics. Double my rate. Now. In Drew Barrymore's defense, everyone was like, Okay, Drew Barrymore doesn't need the money. She's worth like one hundred and twenty five mil. She's got Flower Beauty, she's got the Flower Production Company, which made a bunch of these movies. She is rolling in it. However, during that writer strike, if you were a cleaner, if you were a camera person, if you were hair and maker, if you were sound, you couldn't work. You were just sitting at home waiting for a job. So Drew Barrymore, if you read between the lines of what she's saying, she's like, I employ a lot of people. I want to give them a job. Also, her show was on a network, and if you said to the network, we're not coming back, they were replacing a lot of shows. A lot of shows never came back after the right strike. So you know you're playing a yeah, because you get to they can just put in a show that's like syndicated. Ye, Like let's say they've already born probably a reality shows. Yeah. Things got so bad that a few days later she published a tearful apology video.
Speaker 4: I deeply apologize to writers. I deeply apologize to unions. I deeply apologize.
Speaker 2: This is a deeply complex situation. People's jobs are online and she waited up and yeah, she'll still be coming back hard true in October. Tune in. Okay, here's the thing I do think what you say about. There's all these other people who work on the production. These issues are always more complex than they look from a bird's eye view and from a purely ideological perspective, Like there's the ideology of how things should be, like put pressure on these studios so that writers get paid fairly, so that we stop ai writing everything. But then there is a makeup artist who's like, my kid has cancer and I can't pay for EASTU. Yes, yes, but it's also like, if we just start making these shows happen, then the writers have no bargaining power. Everything they've done has been in vain. Everyone's sacrifice is in vain. And Drew Barrymore, who has some of the most power in Hollywood and who has been in writers' rooms and understands how it all works, she can probably afford to pay everyone. That's true that a little bit, which is what like, you know a Jimmy Kimmel did, Yeah, is he paid his people. Still, So, what a scab actually means is someone who breaks a strike. So someone who is like struck and then does their thing anyway, so everyone started calling her a scab and she lost a hosting gig at the twenty twenty three National Book Awards. Anyway, she did her tearful apology and everyone was like, so then she eventually did delete that video and she came back a third time and was like, upon reflection, I'll be pausing that, Drew Barrymore, okay, good until after the strike good, okay good. When she did eventually go back to work, three head writers refused to come back because they were so pissed. So she that's hold on it pissed so three of her head riders. Yeah, when she resumed things, she was like, guys, come back, we can come back. They were like, no, screw you. You tried to come back without us. Oh so they didn't come back, okay right right yeah. Yeah. Interestingly, a bunch of daytime shows did come back with no fuss, the Jennifer Hudson Show and The View. So why didn't they get in trouble? Well, for starters, I didn't personally know Jennifer Hudson had a show, no, and I didn't know the View was still on, so play on. But Drew Barrymore, similar to an Ellen or a James Cordon. You're meant to be a nice girl. Yeah, you can't tell me you're a good person. Dance in the rain. Tell me to dance in the rain. And then when it comes down to it, it's beIN on the riders. My only kind of knowledge that the view exists is that one clip where Kelly Osborne says that you know, when she thinks she's she's saying something, and she's like, if we get rid of Mexican, if we get rid of all the immigrants, then who's going to clean your toilets? Donald Trump?
Speaker 1: If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet?
Speaker 7: Donald Trump?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's in a sense that not you know what I mean, But I'm saying there's more, there's more jobs to be in la They always but the Donalds are.
Speaker 2: Not only don't mean it like that, come on.
Speaker 5: The panel is like no, it's like no, no, no, no no no, I'll just sad out loud a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you cancelong the way we should do kill. Speaking of the Drew Barrymore show, I have in my notes, she sits too close to people, Claire. Yeah, I get clips constantly on TikTok from The Drew Barrymore Show, and every time I see one, I think, scoochback, you're too close to their face, You're too close, You're too intense. Okay, Drew barronwore and The Drew Barren Moore Show is a girl at a girl's lunch who's had a bottle of my wine and thinks they're getting intimate. Yeah, and is like, I so profoundly relate to what you're saying. And she's like, yeah, this, she's so moved that she's got like tears in her eyes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's like, I've never connected with someone more deeply. And it's like, what are you on?
Speaker 4: I like you?
Speaker 6: I like you too?
Speaker 1: How did you do so you?
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorite things about you.
Speaker 2: And Drew is just on life because I think that she's very self actualized. But why are your needs touching? It's a massive couch, massive shot. And she'll always say she did one with them Bella had did, because apparently gg HA did. Was like, you've got to meet Bella. You're the same person. And then so she got there, so yeah, I know I'm like, just similarities. But then she's like, she's doing this one with Bellah did and she's like, yeah, and we met, We've just been talking on stuff and we're in your dressing room talking for like four hours. I'm like, Drew, that's my nightmare. Drew, leave Vella alone. Drew, you are my social nightmare. I love you so much, but I think if I meet you, you'd be like chatting and then you'd be like, Oh, why don't I just come to your house? M Drew Barrymore is why boundaries. Roommen is why people talk about that physical boundary and emotional boundary. So I'm not the only one who's noticed a slight lack of consideration of space. At the end of last year, Barrymore interviewed Oprah Winfrey, and I'm just going to show you a clip and see if you notice anything unusual about what happened during their interview.
Speaker 4: When we first met, I was really young. Yeah, it means so much to me because when I was fourteen and I had that conversation with you, you had so much wisdom about you know, and maybe it was while you were learning these things.
Speaker 7: I was going to say, I didn't have the wisdom. Ben looking at that, I didn't have the wisdom. But I did pay attention, you know, just as I mean, the audience was a serious thing for me, and I did pay attention. I did listen to the audience, and I did feel like I was the representative for all of you. I never have been to therapy.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to talk about with you.
Speaker 7: You never went to therapy, but sh but I had all my therapy on the show.
Speaker 2: What did you say? During that clip, she's holding an head so the tooling and she's beneath her knees are touching her and she reaches out to hold her hand, and she's holding her hand as she speaks to it, like close to her face. She's holding Oprah's hand close to her face. I don't know if you didn't notice it, but she's also gently stroking her forearm the entirety of the interview. All Right, something I don't like. I'm not a touchy feely person. And if I am having a conversation with someone and they touch me, don't like it. I feel weird touch me. I'm just gonna say it. During that interview, Drew Barrymore latched her. Can you blame her? I would also, I think most of us would latch, but Oprah I reckon. In that clip, you can tell she's a little bit like unlatch. Okay, that's what people thought. They saw. The internet said it's too much hand holding. They said she wanted her handback wise through fondling Oprah. But Oprah came out and was like, I liked it. She said, I was actually comforted by the stroke of the arm. I went home and I told Steadman, I need to be stroked on the arm. It's company. Wait really, yeah, that's what she said. It's a little bit six to you, Like if you're selling Steadman, I'm now going to show you a series of images as evidence that Drew sits too close to her guests. Just have a little like look through them and just describe as you go. Okay. In the first one, she's got Brookshield and a blonde girl in the middle, and their legs are all draped over each other. So Drew is putting her leg over Brookshields as lap. Actually, for some reason, I care less about legs. Keep going, what else you see? Just then she's got Paris Hilton and she is hugging her and resting her chin on Paris Hilton's shoulders, and Paris is very much like sitting in a very respectable legs cross chants together. Yeah, I don't like to be touched. Yes, way, okay. I don't know who this person is, but Drew's sitting on the lab like their Sannah. Yeah. Yeah, it is a child with Santa Claus. Yeah, okay. In this one, Drew she loves getting on the floor. Yes, she loves to get on the floor of the studio. Yes. So she has Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. He's dressed very Adam Sandler. Yeah, and she is on her knees hugging them, which just means that their faces are all incredibly close. You'll be able to smell breath, hair, skin. You'd want to know that your breath is breash. Oh, her breath must be very fresh. And then she's got Jennifer Garner. She's knelt in front of her in a worshiping type pose. It's very unproposing. She kneels a lot. Yeah, I guess again. We've got hand holding. Hand holding. It's okay, it's not just met too. It feels weird. TikTok and Twitter are losing it. Please read out this meme. Okay, that is the single guy to me I've ever seen it, says the guest, Can I be honest for a moment, Drew Barrymore? This is a safe space, go on And it's an image of two people's eyeballs. And the second tweet read someone said, Drew Barrymore has the same intense energy as a girl you meet in the bathroom at two am. Yes, and it's incredible And honestly they're amazing because they're your biggest hype girl. They're like, you need to quit your job and dump him. Yeah, and you're like, yes, yes, yes, I mean you go home. You're like, who was that? Yeah? Yeah in context that make sense. Yah, out of context, I look intense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think the bathroom intensity is because that's probably where she was when she was twelve. Yeah, she's had like training. Also, I feel like for a while that could have been her full time job. Is bathroom harpe girl? Like she was in the club and when you went to the club, she was waiting, I like you, and she sticks your hair to tell you that your boyfriend is an absolute dickhead, Like I reckon very good at that. Okay, some people say that on her show she can sometimes be a bit cringey, and I don't appreciate that because I think that cringe is something that we pretty much only use as a weapon against women, unless it's lampagne, in which case lampagne is cring But I also don't mind cringe. Cringe can be fun. You think that I just need to show you this one clip, Drew. How have you seen the clip with Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: We all need a mom. I've been thinking that we really all need a tremendous hug in the world right now. But in our country, we need you to be Mamola of the country.
Speaker 2: So she's asked Kamala to be Mamalla mama.
Speaker 3: That's an incredible pun.
Speaker 2: I can deal with, Ernest. I can't deal with Mamla. I can't. Mamola is my line, and don't just because she's a woman does not make test to be your mom. Drew, tell me a writer's room didn't come up with that. Yeah, pay them, Yeah, And just like to rewatch.
Speaker 1: We need you to be Mamola of the country.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a vice president that's too close to the vice president and the vice president is like, fuck, true, You've ruined all my chances. So I've been listening to a lot of political analysis lately, and one actually, pretty much the only criticism of Kamala Harris is it she's cringe. Like that's actually the political use of that. They try and get her to do like relatable things, but that she's got this earnestness and this cringe that people don't like. Oh my gosh. And it's like, oh, dare you like what you're doing with Mamala? Yeah, is making her cringe, is making her more cringe than she needs to be. Claire. It is time for charges and sentences, Claire, do you want to go first? Yes, my charge? I love Drew Barrymore. Oh shit, I think she is cringe in a family, mostly except for Mama get but that's okay, okay, because being cringed. I checked the counseled law book. It ain't in there. I think it is definitely found people guilty of cringe before. Yes, but I think they have to do much more just cringing a fun way. Okay, my charge is being too close, She's she's almost it's triggering for me to watch as a mum of a small child, because you think, nah, we need personal space. And I know what it's like to have somebody gripping you all the tarching. It's because we've often said babies don't get it is. You'll be holding them like on your hip and you'll look down and they're staring at you eyeball to eyeball, and you have to go, that's not the dune thing. No, it's too close. It's too close. And I've been in social situations. I've been at you know, a party where I'm talking to someone, their face is getting too close to my face and I trip over a pop plant because what I'm doing is edging backwards. Yeah, I'm going our throws are getting touched. Yeah, Matil will be face to face, just staring at me, and then she does start sucking. Yeah, And Drew Barrymore looks like she might start sacking. She she looks like she one hundred percent is just gonna yeah on the nose. That's an adult. Okay, what's your sentence? My sentence. The Drew Barrymore Show needs a set of rules that actually resembles the rules of a school playground, and one of the rules of a school, playground. Oh wow. Yeah, no touching, no touching, and no play, no play, no sun, no fun today. But importantly we don't touch you know, it's not no touching, Claire. Let's keep your hands to yourself. Hands to yourself. Yeah yeah, hands on your head, Yes, your own head. Drew hands on your not Oprah's head, because we know you'll do that. Yeah, but she she needs to keep her hands to yourself. You can connect with somebody closely emotionally without touching them physically too closely. Okay, this is my imagine her at a boozy lunch.
Speaker 4: She lad.
Speaker 2: My charge. This is what I've written down too enlightened, question mark, too mentally well, question mark rain. But she has done so much work to be where she is and to have two kids, and she seems like a brilliant mother. She's got this striving career. I love that she looks her age. I don't know if that's offensive to say, but I said it. She's very entrepreneurial. I'm in awe of her. But you know how self actualization is like a developmental stage, yeah, which I'm so far from. Yeah yeah, And like you know how there's like I think there's like Maslow's hierarchy, self actualization isn't yeah, and the bottom is like shelter. I feel like I'm still baling. No, you actually are, like you barely have a home. Yeah, like self awareness, personal development, all of those things. I feel like, like, say, self actualization, and you've got your thing, most of us get to like it. Seven. I feel like Drew's accidentally got to know. Yeah. I feel like if you look at Maslow's hierarchy of nies, it just got Drew Barrymmel's face right at the top of it. So this is the thing. She feels things very deeply. Shaun's Kamala to me, Mama La. She wants to dance in the rain and embrace Oprah, And she can't sit on a couch with her feet on the floor. They have to be tucked under her, like she's asleepover my sentence. To be clear, I think Drew is an angel scent from heaven, barely any notes. But I would like her to get caught in the rain on the way to work. Oh okay, yes, yeah, don't miss the opportunity. You're walking to the train station. Once you get to work, eight hours in an office starts pissing down on your hair that you just washed. Your mascara runs, your shoes squirlke, your fingers are freezing. You get on the train, smells like wet. Everyone gasps, they ask what happened? You turn gray, you get hypothermia, and then you get to work and you look like crap. You feel like crap. You're very cold and wet. You got an interview Oprah on camera. Yeah, and it's not like you've got to be distance. She is looking at every pore on your face and it's got dirty, polluted rain in it from the clouds. Claire, remember when we were kids. We were wet and wild one day, beautiful day, and then things turned and it got very cold and very rainy, and Mum and dad had light dropped us there with our brothers and we had to wait out the front. I've never been so cold, Oh my gosh, it was never been so cold. You had to get off the riots because there was a risk of light. Mean, yeah, I don't even know if we had towels. I don't think we did. I was just in my swimmers, so king, wet, translucent skin, the blue extremities. All of us were just like I don't think we had any money for like odd chips or anything. I think we probably did get hotships, but that didn't even help. It was so even the hot chips would have been soggy. We were so so cold. I want her to have that experience. I think we all got sick for a week. Yeah, and that's what I think she needs to experience in order to have the full spectrum of human emotion, which I know she cares about, and then she can do a follow up video about that. It's like, you know, like I said that being caught in the rain was like great, but you know there are some dwn ties caught in the rain. I just really acknowledged that complexity. Love Love, Thank you so much for joining us on this episode of Canceled. I will be sharing that video and many more on the Twins Thoughts on Instagram. The executive producer of Canceled is to Listed Bazazz with audio editing by Tom Lyon, and we will be back at next week. Bye bye.