Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I'm a Shiny Dante, host of But Are You Happy? Did you know that one in five Australians experience and mental health condition each year, yet too many suffer in silence. Talking about our feelings and experiences is one of the most powerful steps towards healing and knowing we're not alone. That's why we're introducing I Never Told You This, a series created to spark honest, meaningful conversations that support better mental well being. Brought to you by Medibank. This episode includes discussions about depression and postnatal depression. If you're not in a space to engage with this topic right now, please feel free to skip this episode. You're always welcome to explore another episode of I Never Told You This or return to this one whenever you're ready.
Speaker 2: I think our family just doesn't deal with emotions very well. We're not really there for each other during those moments.
Speaker 3: Two people, one big reveal. I Never Told You This a simple card game where one question could change everything. It starts LI whats.
Speaker 4: More Things brings you joy.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to answer that.
Speaker 3: Then comes the moment that could shift a relationship forever. As they finished this sentence, I never told you this.
Speaker 1: I've never told you that.
Speaker 3: I never told you this. Today mother and daughter, Judy and Christina will be sitting down together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling a lot of vulnerable. Me and my mom don't generally talk about our feelings very often.
Speaker 3: Christina has something big to tell her mother.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see how she reacts. How are you feeling, mom, nembus? Yeah, all Lee a little bit. Mum. I know we don't really talk about our emotions very much. But I've got these minibank Feely Worst cards here hopefully help us park a conversation. Would you like to play?
Speaker 4: Of course? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, oh all right, I'm gonna pick up one. Can you tell us something you're grateful for in this family?
Speaker 4: Even we're not getting along sometimes, but I'm grateful to have you all in my life. I'm gonna pick up a card. Is there a family tradition you hope continuous? Poor generation?
Speaker 2: It's karaoke, the traditional Filipino way to celebrate. All right, Mom, I'm gonna pick up the next card. Okay, this one says, I never told you this. Back when I was young, you know, I had a quite heavy depression and so oh, then I'm tearing out pardon. After I had my son River, I went through another quite deep kind of spiral of depression and anxiety, which I like, never really spoke to you guys about. I think our family just doesn't deal with emotions very well. I think we don't talk about when things get really low. We don't say, you know, we're not really there for each other during those moments.
Speaker 4: I know I said that, but even me I didn't know. I saw you, you said you're going to therapist or whatever, and I'm asking you, but you don't say nothing. I don't want to interfer on what you're going through. It's not I don't care, it's something like I can see that you don't want to share it with me. That's why I just step quiet and about how you're feeling. You should tell me.
Speaker 1: The rest of this episode of I never told you this right after the break.
Speaker 4: Being a mom is not easy. I'm telling you, being on my own, I'm not thinking of myself. I always think of you, my children, all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can never deny how much she loved us, Like how much you sacrificed to love us and to provide for us. I think I know that you don't show emotions, but I think I don't. But I think the way that you love us is through your actions.
Speaker 4: I get. Yeah, I'm I'm your mom no matter what, I'm always there for you. It's not because you're my paperite.
Speaker 2: Now now we've got that.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry, It's like I'm a mom and I'm always there no matter what. I'm always there if I can help, I will.
Speaker 2: You look like you're getting a bit of a shot all their mom Oh yeah, yeah, true. I think it's just hard talking about depression because at the end of the day, like I know I'm supported by family and by you, by Shane, my husband, I feel like my brain just automatically skips all those things and be like, I should just fix myself because I know I understand.
Speaker 4: I understand that being on my own raising yous. Yeah, I've been through a lot.
Speaker 2: Was it hard because I know you raised us basically on your own. Like, did you go through any like postpartum depression?
Speaker 4: No, I don't, because I tried to fight for it. I work though jobs as well back then, and one time it happens to me, I'm so sleepy, I bark my car on the sides. I just walk up. The sun is coming on my face and I said, oh, I'm late, and then I go straight I drive and I said, I'm so sorry I fall asleep. You know how hard it is. Yeah, we get a chance to know more of its utter now that you're grown up. Before when you were young, yes, I know you. But when you grow up you have your own family. Of course, some things you don't tell me anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's just a matter of us making sure we reach out to each other, Yes, openly talk about things more. It feels good to know that you've seen what I went through, and then now knowing that I've gone through it again, and we're a little bit closer.
Speaker 4: Just knowing that I'm just a pond all away. Yeah, I can come and see you no matter what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Talking about it early really does help processing those emotions and not letting it. I guess spiral as bad as it used to get.
Speaker 4: But do you know, the hug and just the embrace of your parents at least can really a little bit, even just a little bit that's true.
Speaker 2: Can I have a hug mum,