Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm I'm a mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, a podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. If you can remember the way your strawberry shortcake doll's head smelt, you can't remember why you just walked into the kitchen, if you wore blue frosted eye shadow badly, and if you genuinely in your bones sought your a chance of marrying George Michael. Yep, you're in the right place, ladies, and welcome.
Speaker 3: Come.
Speaker 1: Okay, who is on the sofa today?
Speaker 4: How people? It's Grace fam fashion stylist.
Speaker 5: H Hi, I'm Mary Kustis, I'm an actress writer.
Speaker 2: Ginny Men's book, I'm a JP and I'm Kasmahon, your comedian. Wherever you're listening and clenching, you'r clench your pelvic floor and get ready to UNLEASHO.
Speaker 1: Great to see your ladies. What have we got this week?
Speaker 6: Before we get started, Kath, last week you admitted that you're using AI to be your relationship coach, and one of us is not happy, and she's not here, she's not dead, but she's in Melbourne and her name's Sally Hepworth.
Speaker 5: And this is what she has to say about you and Claude.
Speaker 7: Oh guys, it's Sally.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm alive, unlike your new dating coach, Kath. And look, I've got to say, I'm a little offended.
Speaker 8: Claude is your relationship guru.
Speaker 3: It's hurtful because I have obviously been offering premium dating advice along with mons to you for quite some time, and I, unlike Claude, have a pulse and also, more importantly, the ability to share gossip. So I just want to point out a few reasons why I am superior to Claude as a dating coach. Obviously, Number one, I'm human, actually had relationships, not great ones. But point number two, Claude probably understands attachment theory.
Speaker 4: Good for him.
Speaker 3: You know what I understand vibes. Vibes are ninety nine percent of dating, and we all know that's true. Number three, Claude might be able to tell you what a man might mean when.
Speaker 4: He says it's a busy week.
Speaker 3: He is guessing, you know what, I'm basing it on punctuation response time, whether he's watched his Instagram story. I am doing my due diligence. What the fuck is Claude doing like a sweep of what he can find online. That's bullshit. Mine's personalized number four And I think this is the most important. Claude has never once poured you a drink and said respectfully. This man is a red flag. So saying, enjoy your robot boyfriend whisperer cap But when it starts to fall apart, I'm just saying I'm going to be here.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Here with emotional support, with mild bias, always in your favor, an unqualified confidence that I would like to share.
Speaker 4: So stop going to Claude. You've got a team.
Speaker 3: Of women very bad advice right on the couch with you. No Claude, stick with unleashed bye.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 4: I love how miss Sally is so competitive of Claude.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would like to say to Sally, who will be listening because she's not.
Speaker 1: It's still not.
Speaker 2: Is that I do go to her like I go to her first. But you know, she's a busy mum, she's got three kids, she'd be writing another best seller as we speak. She's got hot Dan that she'll be having some you know, love time with, and she's just moved into a new house that she's you know, wrecking one room at a time if you watch your Instagram stories. So I just think I hear you, Sally, but I can't. I don't want to be that needy friend.
Speaker 8: And Claude gave good advice. I thought Claude's advice was like, bang on.
Speaker 4: And sadly is not twenty four hours you know exactly. Oh yeah, here's what.
Speaker 6: I find about chat just on a loose generic level. They're very American. Yes, it's all very positive, and it's all very generic, and they talk us up like it tells me I'm a genius, and it tells me you're terrific and you're marvelous.
Speaker 5: And I love that idea.
Speaker 6: And this isn't going to be like anything else ever seen before on the planet. And I sometimes think it plays to our ego.
Speaker 2: Claude and he was very much like he has not tried to reschedule since he canceled at six thirty seven am in the morning. You're meant to see him at ten am because he'd had a bender with his mates. And Claude was like, do not reach out under any circumstance. I was like, what about a DM on Instagram? No, no, what'sapp No, no telegram, no pigeon.
Speaker 1: No, you're better than that. So that's so.
Speaker 2: I think I had my back he did. But I do agree, you do. Yeah, they are quite you know. They do puff you up a bit, they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, I think that's enough about me and my my nondescript love life. Let's talk about something else. The stirrup pant, the stirrup legging. Annalise, who is one of the writers at Mama Maa, did a fantastic piece on the new job per stirrup trousers. She wore them for an entire week to work. I also saw them at Marks and Spencer's and Kmart. Really, Gray Slam, Are they coming back? What are we doing with them?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not bin them?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: Would I want to look like Borret? You know?
Speaker 1: You know what it.
Speaker 4: Reminds me of. It doesn't matter whether you're Cando Jenna or you're like Cindy Crawford who is like six foot weather. It just doesn't look good to me. Like it does not look good. It reminds me of when I had braces when I was nine years old, with elastic band. When I open my mouth, yes, it's just like that. Yeah, And I don't want to see people dressing like boret every day.
Speaker 1: No, it's a lot of vagina.
Speaker 4: It's just not cool.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I'm scarred because I remember it was a big thing with women to wear those stirrup pants tight.
Speaker 5: And I do remember a bit of camel.
Speaker 6: Toe, a bit sort of pulling down but cutting up at the same time.
Speaker 5: So the big w was always on show with those pants.
Speaker 1: I had them in black and I had them in thorn.
Speaker 2: Base literally like a job per, like I was about to get on some Jim Karner and.
Speaker 1: They weren't good the first time round. So I'm saying no.
Speaker 4: I mean, just because it appears on the catwalk doesn't mean that we all have to jump into it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: I am in the middle of doing my master cast a jewel as an online thing, and I'm teaching people not to follow tramp because sometimes when it's trendy, people just jump into it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Not in my book, I have.
Speaker 8: Never heard of a stirrup pant. Wow, I am the last person on the planet you would ever discuss fashion with. I've got absolutely no clue. I'm going to play the feet on everything to do with fashion.
Speaker 1: These were the eighties, weren't they the first time round?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, people, let's not go there. I mean, if they're going to bring that back, then I much rather have the big shoulder pads come on. At least I can like wear them so people don't touch me, you know, with their germs and stuff. I would love that bring back the shoulder pads that.
Speaker 5: Never left me.
Speaker 6: If he wears a lot of shoulder pads, yeah, it's not the boxy jacket like from Working Girl. It's more cinched at the waist so you look like a bit of a superhero.
Speaker 5: I don't mind a shoulder pad very pro Hats.
Speaker 8: Off to whoever invented shoulder pads. I think that was a really brilliant thing, and I hope they have absolutely cleaned up. I don't know about you guys, but I always think that I have come up with the latest greatest invention and that I'm going to clean up. And one recent hike that I did, I was desperate for a weei and what I thought was, wouldn't it be great and Grace You'd be so into this if there was like an app where you could be told not only the nearest toilet, but like where people get to rate it, like trip Advisor, and so you actually get to know like is their toilet paper? Is there a toilet seat, which in Europe is quite frequently absent. I think that kind of thing would be very useful information, Like you know, you get a four point nine out of five.
Speaker 4: And so I decided that.
Speaker 8: I would call my invention AIRWINP and I had it all worked out, and I went home and found out that there are already five of those inventions in existence, and so you know, my Telstra Business Award kind of fantasy just fizzed, going up in flames. Guys, are you constantly inventing things that you find out somebody else has actually already beaten into it?
Speaker 6: I am a big fan of items that help give you confidence, Like that's what the shoulder pad was about, right, makes you feel powerful. There's just so many of those things because I think society in general is just trying to rob us about confidence, yes constantly, especially as women. Oh you got to use this cream in order for you to look beautiful, and you got to wear your hair like this, and your body's got to be looking like that and I was thinking.
Speaker 5: Well, what about men.
Speaker 6: You know, men don't have a lot to choose from in terms of what gives them confidence. Like they have pants, a singlet if they're built and they've got guns and their body confident, a shirt, a jacket, maybe an ugly pair of shorts.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: They don't have the options that we have when it comes to fashion. So I was thinking, how could a man feel more confident? And then I was thinking about balls, Men's.
Speaker 8: Nuts, you know, confidence boosters.
Speaker 1: Right there exactly.
Speaker 6: They're just a factory, aren't they. They just do all the work. And I was thinking about their boys boobs. They're like our boobs, except they're.
Speaker 5: In their pants.
Speaker 8: No one they look at them.
Speaker 5: And no one wants to see them.
Speaker 6: And then I thought, what if they those balls deserved to have their moment. Maybe we need a ball bra, you know, with straps that you can shorten or lengthen, depending on what you're doing that day. Say you're wearing, you know, a tightish pair of pants and you want to feel confident, you tighten the straps and the balls come up, and then you're at home and you want to relax and you are where it tracks her or something like that. You release the straps and they you know, they flump around, they hang and go command ask a question.
Speaker 8: I seriously do not know the answer to this. If men run, particularly if they have large balls, do their balls hurt? Like you know, how a woman needs a sports br a man? Does a man need a sports ball bra?
Speaker 4: Is that a thing?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of it, but I don't you first we pat it?
Speaker 5: No, I just thought of.
Speaker 6: It on stage when I was doing a show a couple of weeks ago, and a guy told me he worked for Bonds. He designed underwear for Bonds, And I said, well, that's already been done, has it? How many times can you design a g stream or a brief or a box a short? And I said, what you should be? And I hadn't thought about this until that moment. You should be designing a ball bra. And I pitched him there, and then the ball bra for Bonds?
Speaker 1: Yes, why would they not take it?
Speaker 8: Exactly natural?
Speaker 2: It's got to be a thing, right, So this hasn't Actually, this is not a thing yet. So I don't know market unleashed, except maybe it would be more leashed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a great idea. One of us uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: We're uncomfortable all the time. I remember today how I used to do up my mum's girdle when I.
Speaker 1: Was a child.
Speaker 5: Respects wow, and the poor thing.
Speaker 6: I had to pour all and meat into the back there and then push with all my light.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I'd have to get my brother involved. Oh my god, that's tubes in the seventies.
Speaker 4: Katha, honey, Yeah, sure. Invention.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought it was going to be my invention, but apparently it's already out there. I was like, as a you know, eternally single person, I just thought, there must be so many times that I walk past someone else who's single that I don't know. And what if there was an app we could put your details on to say I'm single and I'm interested and this is what I'm into and you pinged when you walked past.
Speaker 1: It was called happen and it's already been out Was it any good?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe we should redo one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, be like find my phone, except find my day or my person.
Speaker 1: This is great, We're on. That's what we'll call it.
Speaker 6: You know, like how they say when you go to the supermarket, like there are all these signs to say you're single, Like if you put your bananas on the top thing and you do it like that, maybe we need to wear not a yellow carnation, because you know, I wouldn't trust anyone that wore a yellow carnation, but some sort of fashion item that singled you out in some way to say, you know, I'm open to meeting someone great. And it was something that you wore that maybe only single people knew about.
Speaker 1: Ma'am.
Speaker 4: What is the banana and a trolley thing?
Speaker 6: There was some talk that at Woolli's or Coals, I don't even remember which one that on certain times of maybe early evening when you're going home, you would stop at the supermarket and if you were single, I think it was you put them in the top part. Remember you know how there's that top section in a trolley and they'd have them up right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, had to face them up. That meant you were single.
Speaker 5: That meant you were single.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Now I've heard that. It's definitely a thing tried. Well, I've always got bananas in my trolley, but nobody is approaching me in the cold dial. To be honest, there was a guy on my street that I kind of I sat on the bench and he was coming out top of my street and doesn't have a ring on right age. I tried to smile a bit but couldn't get his attention, and I really nearly put like a note on his windscreen.
Speaker 8: Oh but I just thought that was exactly.
Speaker 2: But how else you want to meet people, I'm going to ask Claude. Yeah, actually, well, I think sporting events. My son is obviously nowaday age where he's seventeen, so every weekend I have to schlep to another sporting event, and a lot of them on Saturday are with schools. He's seventeen, so he is like peak age of other kids his age having parents who.
Speaker 1: Were divorced or divorced.
Speaker 2: So I would just like to do a thing at halftime where it's like all the single people would like to come on the field just offer themselves to the other single people.
Speaker 1: Would be great because there's got to be people out there.
Speaker 2: And if I've got to watch rugby in the rain for eighty minutes, like at least the data out of the end of it, I like it. Kav.
Speaker 8: That is your invention, football Spade diating, I don't think it's been done yet.
Speaker 2: And we don't need an app, we don't need a tect build, we don't need startup phase.
Speaker 8: We could do it.
Speaker 1: You just need a megaphone.
Speaker 4: So, ladies, something crazy happened to me recently. I got invited to Parliament House camera by the Health Minister, whoa quite a surreal moment because they were launching the first ever perimenopause campaign in Australia and they invited me and some of our lovely listeners might not know that I advocate a lot for perimenopause because I want to break the stigma. I want to normalize this conversation. And I also want to show people that perimenopause a woman, a menopause woman, we are fabulous and cool and very fashion. And then when I got to Canberra and on the way there, I had a lovely uber driver who's also an immigrant and we exchanged stories and what was so amazing was he was asking me so many questions about perimenopause because he's suspecting his wife is going through it. He took out a notebook he was going to write notes. I'm like, don't do that. You're driving, let me, let me write everything safe anyway, and when I entered the building, everyone was like, oh my god, who's this girl. First of all, I don't dress like a politician, so I wore like a pin striped suit, like a gray suit from a Melbourne designer best and inside I wore a bright red turtleneck because people keep telling me it's really cold in camera. And I wore a rough old dress underneath so you can see it through my suits, high heeled fun Pokado socks and then my Chanel bag. So the minute I walked into Parliament House, everyone knew I'm not a politician because they were not dressed like that, right. And I deliberately didn't tell my mom because I just wanted to surprise her. So I sent her a picture of me doing a selfie in front of Parliament House. Her reaction was like.
Speaker 1: Is it ai? And I was like, oh, man, come on.
Speaker 4: So I went into Parliament House. So, first of all, the outside of the building it's quite spectacular and the energy that is very strong. I had a bit of out of body experience and I didn't know what was going on because I just everything was so overwhelming, because it was quite strange to be there as an immigrant, and everyone there were super friendly, supersed But it was just a moment for me to remember for the rest of my life, and I thought if I was really scared of doing something, nothing ever happened like that.
Speaker 8: Right, Did you made elbow the Prime Minister?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't. However, he was in the same room as us, honking the mic because we were supposed to get on in front of the news, and he took so long because we was speaking a long time. Fun fact, the Assistant Health Minister is a fan of Unleash, so she listened to us because when I told her, she goes, oh, no, no, I listened to you on Unleashed.
Speaker 8: Well, obviously it's so good for her heart health to be laughing along with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she's quite a gentle person. Actually, she speaks very gently. But it was such an amazing experience for me because I left Hong Kong based on fear because of the social unrest and it was very unsafe. I left there and I went to Perth. Didn't know anyone, and I'm not very close to my husband's family, so I didn't know what was happening, and I didn't know what's going to happen to my life or my career. Nothing. And then when I was in Parliament House, I thought, how does this happen? It's so strange to me that all I did was just talk about menopause because I didn't want people to typecast us. I want to make sure the message is out there that we're still fabulous and fun and cool. And then suddenly I'm in this place with all these people and it was quite a surreal moment. And my message here is at fifty three young, I feel like, oh my god, fear doesn't face me at all. So what I want to know is, why have you done that's completely fearless? Doctor Ginny.
Speaker 8: Oh, I've got imposter syndrome all the time, and I always am full of fear. I always think that somebody's going to rip off the mask and actually reveal that I'm just a bit of a screw up.
Speaker 4: But no.
Speaker 8: But I think often we are our own worst critics, and we don't see any achievements that we've ever done, and you look at other people, like when we started doing Unleashed, and I realized that I was going to be sitting with the fee from my childhood and my teenage years in my twenties, I was like, I was so in awe and for all of you, all of you guys have done so much, and every one of us, I think probably thinks how am I sitting in this room with everybody else?
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 8: But no, I think. I think a lot of women are constrained by maybe imposter syndrome, maybe by fear.
Speaker 2: Hang on a minute, you've built a skincare empire. Come on, you've got to be a little bit.
Speaker 1: You're very fearless.
Speaker 8: I think the thing that so many women have when we talk about fear is that new languages can feel really overwhelming, and finance is one of those languages. Like you can look at a balance sheet or a profit and loss statement or an income statement and go, I don't even know what this means. And realizing for myself, I had always thought that I was absolutely clueless, couldn't manage a spreadsheet, did not know one end of a checkbook from another. And it turns out I'm actually not bad at doing finance, but I still can't reconcile that with who I know. I am like that I always think, like I don't know anything. I'm going to take advice from everyone.
Speaker 4: You know what I love about doctor Jeanie. And this is a fact that a lot of clever people or high achiever they never think they're clever enough or done enough. And there's all those assholes that pretend to have done so much that they bs their way out right. So I think this is a really nice trait that you have.
Speaker 8: I think you're always aware of the things you don't know, like I think women are always very focused on the things that they don't know. Your gaps in your knowledge, the things that you have failed at, the things that you have not achieved that you might have thought you could have achieved. That's where our heads go to. And you never see yourself. Sometimes it's really nice to see yourself reflected in somebody else's vision of you, because it's like, oh, I didn't really think that about myself, But I think you can end up. There are so many women I know who don't step into their power because I don't even see the.
Speaker 1: Power they have.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mah, I've had my own parliament House experience. One of the biggest core jobs you can do in the entertainment industries to do the mid Winter Ball, and that is when all political parties put away their differences for a night and it's run by the Press Gallery, and you know, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: It's a very beautiful event.
Speaker 6: Everyone dresses up and the room looks spectacular and I've had the pleasure of hosting it twice.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I felt the same grace.
Speaker 6: I felt like, you know, what were the chances of the child of an immigrant in my case, you know, my parents came out here in the fifties for their daughter to be performing for the Prime minister in front of the most powerful press in the country and all the politicians.
Speaker 1: It was a really good feeling.
Speaker 6: And I think it needs to be something that is more accessible to more people, not just as a tourist to turn up to and look at, but to realize the power that we have as a population and as individuals to make a difference. And sometimes you just need to push for what you believe is right enough for it to make a difference to me more people than just us. And I felt that night that I was representing a lot of people like me that would think, you know, I'll never get to be in that rarefied space or talk to people. And I do a lot of research before I do my jobs. And Malcolm Farr was a big political writer at the time, and I spoke to him at length, and then I spoke to the head of the press gallery, and then I wrote a monologue for the evening and they thought it was written by Malcolm and it wasn't. I just did a lot of research and I put Effie at the Efie Center in Australian Politics for a night and it felt really good. Yeah, So congrats, Grace. We're really really proud of what.
Speaker 1: You've done for all women. Grace Mary.
Speaker 2: Are you guys saying that we should do an unleashed show live at Parliament House?
Speaker 4: I mean, now that me and a health mins are besties, maybe I'll just tell them, well.
Speaker 2: We can't all be galli hunting to Canberra, miss Grace Lamb. Some of us are firmly planted on our sofa. It's winter, it's cold, it's dark at five pm. No one wants to leave the house. So for those listening who are family planted on their.
Speaker 1: Sofa, put this show on your X list right away.
Speaker 2: It's called Rivals, okay, and it's not hated rivalry.
Speaker 1: No. You can see there's a theme isn't there with the shows that I like.
Speaker 2: But before you go all judgey, let me just say there is two seasons of this TV show. It is based on Jilly Cooper, or Dame Jilly Cooper's book Rivals, that was, you know, one of the paperbacks in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Two seasons.
Speaker 2: Season one ninety five percent Rotten Tomatoes, Season two one hundred percent tomatoes. It was Disney's number one drama in twenty twenty four and The Guardian gave it ten thousand stars.
Speaker 1: Way now you're interested on it? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, what's so good about it?
Speaker 2: It's so good because it is right up our gen x Alli ladies, because it is set in the eighties. The very first scene from season one is two people bonking on Concord. Do you think of anything more Eighties than Concord?
Speaker 1: It's fabulous.
Speaker 2: It's got David tennant In, it's got Aiden Turner, it's got Danny Dyer. It's got Catherine Parkinson who won a BAFTA for the IT crowd. It is launchy, it's a bonk fest. There are shoulder pads coming out of your shoulder pads. If it's smelt, it would be deal poison coming out on all Links Africa. It is all of the things you want.
Speaker 1: It's so joyful. You need to watch that.
Speaker 4: I'm going to watch it.
Speaker 2: You can watch it on Disney or I think through Apple, but truly, like it is so joyful.
Speaker 1: It takes you so back, you know the way we talked.
Speaker 2: A couple of EEPs ago about the Kilimano Dooco that's on Netflix.
Speaker 1: It takes you right back. It's the eighties. The last episode I watched.
Speaker 2: It starts with in the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle. The line he's driving like with his top down, and I was like, go, oh my god, followed.
Speaker 1: By Banana Arma, followed by Duran, Duran.
Speaker 2: It's so good. Lots of sex, lots of all the things you want.
Speaker 1: Really, I love.
Speaker 8: From you's so good because you are so passionate when you give a reco I love it like you really give things your heart. So yeah, thank you for that and your your reco. Enough is enough for me to download this.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's so in a world of not always happy. It's just a show. It's wonderful. It's wonderful. That's all I've got to say. Thank you for coming to my show.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, cap I love the eighties.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, to do we.
Speaker 6: Get enough of that stuff? Which brings me to this question. I've been thinking about this a lot. Can you girls remember the first ever are film you saw, either you snuck into or you saw that left a mark on your mind and warped the way you looked at the world forever.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, I My first ever R rated movie was at a friend's house whose parents were never ever home, so we were allowed to just run riot there. I think I was in year seven and we watched Christian f Do you remember that movie? It was from Berlin. It actually had subtitles, but was really really popular. It was cult when I was at high school, but it was about a high school girl like us who got drawn into the world of drugs and heroin and crime. Once you became an addict, it was terrifying. There was actual scenes of people injecting heroin.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: But I remember just thinking I couldn't understand before then why anybody would inject heroin. And I don't know whether this happened in your families, but my mom would say, like, if you go to the movies, don't sit on the because there are heroin pushes who go and inject you with heroin and then you're you're hooked for life. And I was like, was in terror of ever going to the movies with a group of friends and Meg stuck on the end. So this was actually a really amazing way segue into understanding drug addiction that was so huge in the seventies. It was set in the seventies. It's a beautiful, beautiful movie. And I think that's how I ended up eventually for so long doing drug and alcohol medicine prescribing method owned for heroin addicts. I think my first my first interest in it was kindled by that movie.
Speaker 4: No Way, That's crazy.
Speaker 6: I remember at school reading a book called Go Ask Alice, Do you remember, Yes, it was The Personality Disorder, Yeah, And it was a diary of a heroin addict. And then I remember writing in my own diary that I was scared that someone was going to inject me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't end up becoming a doctor or a heroin addict, which.
Speaker 1: Is good, which is good, which is good to use.
Speaker 6: The first R rated film I watched was The Exorcist. People in those days, there was nothing more horrific. I knew relatives and family friends that started sleeping in the bed with their parents.
Speaker 5: After watching that for months.
Speaker 6: It was so so scary, and she I think the priest is Greek in it, so you hear a bit of Greek language about her head turning around and all of the Greek vomit tongues and the green vomit. That was a film that changed everything. And then later on it was Jaws, but that was the first film I remember being terrorized by.
Speaker 2: You bring up a few for me, Jaws, The Exorcist and Nightmare in Elm Street. Oh, that was one of my I can't watch horror for films now, can you?
Speaker 5: No time?
Speaker 6: I mean, this wasn't an R rated film. But I remember when I was little there was a television show that was They used the front of an apartment building in Mulara in Sydney, and it was called Number ninety six and it was really ahead of its time. There was a gay guy and there was a raunchy blonde chick, and I remember hearing on the grapevine that the blonde actress, Abigail was her name, was going to do full frontal.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I was so excited. It was like my Christmas is at coming once? How was I going to get to see this?
Speaker 6: Like? So, I remember it was on and all of Australia was, you know, because we only had a couple of channels back then, maybe three four. Max knew that this was the night that Abergil was going to do a full front and I'm sure my parents were parked in front of the telly and I kept pretending I was sick and I needed a glass of water because I was so horny and excited.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my god, I have to see this.
Speaker 4: So my first film where the first film I ever saw people kissing or any sex scene was Seeing Amma's Fire. So I was in UK boarding school and we have a TV common room and it was the first film that they have a show to all the girls in one big room. I didn't know what it was. And when I saw them kissing, I mean, it was such a cool film. You know. I was a big fan of Roblow.
Speaker 1: I lovedro Blow more.
Speaker 4: She was so gorgeous, still gorgeous. Yeah. And then Andrew mccarthury, Yeah, oh my god, he was so hot. I actually like him more so that film changed everything for me because I thought, wow, a bunch of people living together, they're really good friends as they're so cool and they're like young, you know, all that beautiful. That was my first introduction of like our rage of film.
Speaker 8: Do you remember the movie When a Stranger Calls? It was from nineteen seventy nine and it's about a girl. It's a horror film rated R and she gets a phone call. Have you checked the children? Oh yeah, And it's about being a babysitter. And this was in plumb Age where we were all doing babysitting, and it was just the most terrifying, like blood curdling movie ever.
Speaker 9: It's like Exorcist level bad. And so yeah, that mean really scared to be a babysitter. Amateurville horror remember that we love And it's the seventies in America, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It was always just yeah, you're right though. It was when I was old enough to babysit my brother and sister, So you'd want to watch these films and then as soon as you'd finish, you were just terrified.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I often slept with like a knife by my bed.
Speaker 6: Weirdo, that is weird, But I remember sunces were really we'd go over to a family friend's house and the you know, the adults had been at one end of the house and we'd set up a Wiji board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, talk to dead spirits. And I remember I was always the one pushing.
Speaker 6: It, and we always saw that there was like you know, frosty misty bit, yes, you know, in.
Speaker 5: The corner of the room, and we just loved being scared chill.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was the original claude as my kids are so old now, but seriously, our sounds has gone, and your kids not do that anymore.
Speaker 1: You don't hear much.
Speaker 5: We expect everyone to do everything for them.
Speaker 6: And I'm not just talking about on a parenting level, but why would they try to scare each other when someone, a great filmmaker can do it for them. We would, you know, we weren't watching those films enough because we're at the mercy of television programmers. We couldn't just find them on a Netflix or you know.
Speaker 2: You've got to Blockbuster and you get like the video cover and you'd be like this out, do you remember, No, it's out.
Speaker 1: It's devastated kids these days, Yeah, they will never know the pain.
Speaker 4: We want to know from our listeners what our rate of film that you've watched and dm us on Instagram and leased doc show is it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And we want to know everything what you've watched and did it permanently warp your brain after watching that?
Speaker 2: Well, now we're all remembering how scarred we were back in the eighties. I think that's all we've got time for, ladies. I know another app over. Big shout out to all of our listeners who love reaching out to us, including Chanelle.
Speaker 7: I'm not a genixa, I am City three, but it is such a joy to listen to you every Tuesday. When you laugh at something, I laugh. And when you cry, that's something I cry. So I always say to my husband on a Tuesday when the show comes on, I say, my.
Speaker 4: Programs coming on.
Speaker 1: I've got to listen to my program.
Speaker 7: So thank you guys for being my regular program and podcast. Could listen to you all day.
Speaker 1: More of those play ladies.
Speaker 2: Please, if you do want to reach out to us, dm US anytime at Unleashed Dot show on Instagram. We read everything, don't we lay absolutely everything? And if you've got a friend that you think might like to listen to this episode, share it, Share the love now, as we like to say, Ladies, Tuesday Tuesday and until next week, Stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay on Bye.
Speaker 1: Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on