Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello friends, it's Lee here, and it's a lovely Monday. Well it's better because I've got a great episode of You Beauty that I want you to listen to. Kelly and I have some genius tips if I do say so myself, that's going to help you make more of an effort on Monday.
Speaker 3: So have a listen.
Speaker 1: Makeup is my therapy.
Speaker 4: I'm in love, I'm obsess and I don't even feel guilty about it.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to You Beauty. I am Lee Campbell, I'm Kelly McCarron.
Speaker 1: And before we get into today's show, let's see what's happening in the world of beauty.
Speaker 3: You look like a real news reader saying I do.
Speaker 5: This is the Beauty Edit, your weekly download of everything you missed in the beauty world. I'm Amy Clark, mom and me is lifestyle editor and tinted lipbum lover.
Speaker 4: And I'm Cas Green mom and me is Morning editor and I forgot Miscara today. Anyway, here's what's trending.
Speaker 5: Forget your face. You can now try micro needling hair products. So something that was not on my beauty bingo card for twenty twenty five but definitely should have been micro needling shampoo. From the same Korean skincare brand that brought us that viral micro needling in a bottle Reedle serum comes a scalp shampoo that promises a cleaner scalp and healthier hair.
Speaker 1: Juna Zoo reviewed the new.
Speaker 5: VT Cosmetics PDRN Reedleshot Scalp shampoo on mammamea dot com de au and wrote that her scalp has never felt so fresh. What did you think when we first published this storycast.
Speaker 4: Look Amy, The formula is really interesting because it contains a lot of buzzy kind of ingredients, the first being something called PDRN otherwise known as salmon DNA, but in this case it's actually a plant derived version. So it also has the brand's Reedle shot microspicules, which for the uninitiated are kind of crystallized ultra fine needle like structures about fourteen times smaller than a single paw on your face. Juna says these don't but they do help to remove dead skin cells and create microscopic channels in your scalp skin for better ingredient absorption.
Speaker 5: It is just another example of that skinnification of all of the categories. But as someone who doesn't wash their hair without a scalp step ever, I would one hundred percent try this. I have seen people who dorm or roll their scalp and this looks like a lot less effort.
Speaker 1: Plus, it feels much.
Speaker 5: More low risk than the reedal face serum because it's in.
Speaker 3: A wash off format for my head.
Speaker 4: Louis Vuitton has just launched its first ever makeup line, Love You Tay Woo Woo So, with legendary British makeup artist Dame Pat McGrath leading the creative direction. The line features refillable high end products, including an eye shadow palette and lipsticks in Balm, satin and Matt finishes. So this collection is a lot more luxury airlooms than makeup products.
Speaker 1: The main catch is the price.
Speaker 5: I am like low key obsessed with the fact that in twenty twenty five, with cost of living, not only are Louis Vaton's beauty products to luxury for the everyday person, but they're also too luxury.
Speaker 3: For the luxury beauty category.
Speaker 5: As Business of Beauty put it four hundred and twenty dollars for an eyeshadow quad or a seven hundred and sixty five dollar monogram LV cosmetic lipstick pouch is quote in an entirely new galaxy of inaccessibility. For context, let's compare some luxury lipsticks on the market, So do your lipsticks. They start at the lower end of the scale at sixty nine dollars, Chanelle from seventy five, tom Ford from eighty eight dollars, and the Ermez lipsticks are one hundred and eleven dollars. There's also Patmogra's eponymous line costs seventy dollars, while this Louis Vaton lipstick sits at two hundred and sixty five dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it's quite shocking and quality wise, there is absolutely no doubt that any Patmograth formula is going to be impeccable and what you're paying for it is an innovation, but a piece of fashion and beauty history.
Speaker 1: They're essentially collectus.
Speaker 4: Items and we're all going to want one in our bag, but can we afford it?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting choice to take this route when Traditionally luxury beauty products have been priced as a kind of entry point into fashion houses. So you can also buy these direct from lou Vaton, but we're yet to see where Elsi's might be ranged in Australia.
Speaker 5: Can AI replace your dermatologist? Lareo is kind of asking us to consider this. Recently, they have launched their own beauty genius AI Skin Assistant. It's different to a virtual try on, which has been around for a while, where you can kind of virtually try on a lipstick, shade or a foundation through AI on various beauty websites. Now you can actually do a skin consultation through your smartphone, kind of like a skin therapist, kind of like a dermal clinician in your pocket. I mean, working in media, we are all very sensitive about how AI could be coming.
Speaker 1: For our jobs.
Speaker 5: Cas, do you think dermatologists should be worried?
Speaker 4: Look, Amy, I think there's always going to be a place for dermatologists. There's really no getting over their kind of expertise. But I do think it's a really fun new tool. I think most of us are feeling super overwhelmed when it comes to beauty and skincare. Most of us are googling actives like crazy and looking up ingredients in our various products. So I think a way to kind of decode that at home makes a lot of sense as a kind of replacement for your Google search or your own kind of research that you might do and like. This particular app has over one hundred and fifty thousand annotations from dermatologists and supposedly delivers up to ninety five percent accuracy, So I would say is probably better than Google, but it's definitely not going to be better than your dermatologists. They go to school for a reason. They're amazing at what they do. We love them, so yeah, it's not about to replace them, but it's a nice little addition to your beauty regime. Now you're up to date, let's get into all your beauty Q and a's with Lee and Kelly.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help, but wonder asked me anything. You ask many questions, potty question. It's coming through from our instat would love to hear how the collective? How are you touching up your makeup during the day? Is powder still a thing? How do I know which powder to use? Do I choose the same brand and color as my foundation or is there some universal touch up powder that everyone is using. Help. I have dry skin, but I get a shine going through the day as my makeup wears off.
Speaker 2: Well that's good because we can both probably help because I'm a powder girl expert and you're dry.
Speaker 3: But do you ever touch up with a powder?
Speaker 1: I don't touch up, but I do.
Speaker 3: Oh I do?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, as we will talk about like obviously I'm still going.
Speaker 2: I did my makeup on Saturday, it's now Monday. Can you imagine, Oh my god, I drop.
Speaker 1: I actually think that my makeup would still slap. It does not move, I can imagine. And you know how some products are like seventy two hour ware. I'm like, why if you're bendering, that's why.
Speaker 2: No, that is not appropriate. You should still wash your face anyway. Yes, my lovely Instagram friend, powder is such a thing. And I think maybe you're thinking back because you say, do I choose the same brand than color as my foundation. That's a bit a bygone era where you kind of used to see women open a compact and it was you know, skin tone color, and oftentimes if you still see those, they're a powdered foundation not really kind of a touchup. You want something translucent and truly translucent. I am the boss of that because I need to touch up throughout the day. I have been out with Kelly and I think even Mia, and I've just sat there with blotting papers on my face. So as it warms up, I definitely need to do this too. I'm combo, so the sides of my face are actually getting dryer and dryer as I get more experienced, but the center remains combination.
Speaker 3: Oily, Can I make some recommendation?
Speaker 1: Please do?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: The fenty Beauty in Usy Matt instant setting and blotting powder is fantastic. You can get a little size for twenty seven dollars, so that's a pressed powder. Ain't nobody got time? Well maybe people do, but I don't do a loose powder when im mountain about because it's just way too messy. So that's really good. Another one that I really really love is the inners Free no Sebam mineral powder. There's two versions, so if you're looking online, the new version is new Little travel Guy, but you only ever need travel in these situations. Firstly, because you said you're touching up but secondly, you're never gonna go through it all. It's nine dollars fifty. I love it, and you're gonna need if you're gonna use one of those. You want a little brush if you're gonna do a pressed powder thing, ease. Some of them come with that little puffy thing. But meno liky don't know because it's you can't really, I just don't like it.
Speaker 3: I mean you might.
Speaker 2: So two brush recommendations to go with your powder that you're taking in your handbag. The Mecha Max retractable travel brush. It's just one of those boo but it's gonna lid because you don't want brush in your makeup bag. That's then gonna dirty it. Twenty bucks or on Amazon three pack retractable brush. So it's like three little face brushes. So you might use one like you're a cream girl. You could use one for cream products. You could use one for you know, bronze or whatever, and one for setting powder. Sixteen touch up if you want to. Some people want to touch up their cream contour. Well, I just think do it right the first time. You won't have to anyway. Just get three brushes and then you've got one in rotation when you're washing it. Another thing I want to tell you about is blotting paper. I feel like you, my dry friend who just gets a bit shiny. Blotting paper is perfect. It's literally a little rectangle of like it looks like baking paper, and it's got the tiniest film of translucent powder and you just blot like that comes in a really thin little packet. They're wonderful. Models prefer has some blotting papers. Unpack is six dollars. My favorites are from Muji, Themoji Face blotting cosmetic paper two dollars fifty.
Speaker 3: Oh one more thing.
Speaker 2: There's lots of them, but I like the Revlon one, The Revlon Beauty Tool Volcanic Stone facial roller. Yes, it's this little It kind of looks like a makeup brush, I guess, but then the head's like a little it looks like a marble, like a stone marble. It's made out of volcanic rock, which is really porous and absorbs oil, so you just roll it over your oily bit.
Speaker 1: Because that's what I'm thinking. Given that she said that she's dry, I actually don't think that her makeup is wearing off during the day if you're priming and then layering properly.
Speaker 2: So do you think she could fix this problem at application? It depends because some people are face touches me. So if you touch your face all day like you rest your hands. You said that I want to touch my Yes, then of course your makeup's going to start separating and coming off a little bit in those areas.
Speaker 3: But she's saying she's just getting shiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I agree with you. I think just a blotting paper.
Speaker 2: Oh, she does say, as my makeup wears off. But yes, if you're layering your products.
Speaker 1: The difference between I think that I could do my makeup and it would look the same between ten minutes and twenty minutes. The difference is like I've got time to do it, Yes, Like I could do the same look to the naked eye. Yeah, in ten minutes or twenty minutes. But when I spend the time and lay up my products properly and spend time, my makeup will not move. Like I will go play netball after a full day of recording and my makeup is still pretty good. The only place that it tends to move at the moment is my upper lip because of hey fever season. So I'm blowing my nose a lot, that's it, and I eat and drink, so my lips around there, but the rest of my face it doesn't move. And if I was.
Speaker 3: Going to touch what are these steps, lady.
Speaker 1: Well, for everyone it would be different, but for me, it's like just taking the time doing my skin care and then waiting a little bit.
Speaker 2: Waiting is a lot of it because I think you go, you know, skincare, sunscreen, foundation, and it's like everything's fine, but it starts peeling off and wearing off a lot quicker because you haven't allowed it.
Speaker 3: To think of it.
Speaker 2: When you're trying to paint your own nails, you've got a let it dry between steps.
Speaker 3: It goes glug city.
Speaker 1: Exactly as soon as you touch anything. So and then I will always prime, and then I start with my.
Speaker 3: Creen to not prime miss a crime crime.
Speaker 1: And then I'll always start with all of my cream products and not use heaps of them, but lay out after your foundation. After I've primed, and then crime, then foundation, then like my conceal is my cream contour, my cream blush. Then I will set everything with the equivalent powder products. So in the areas that I've cream contoured, I will bronze whoa like It takes twenty minutes, not ten minutes, but it lasts all day. And then if I am like.
Speaker 2: When do you do your setting spray last like a Charlotte to every setting spray.
Speaker 1: I don't usually do it at the end of doing my makeup. I'll just do it throughout the day to sort of refresh my skin and make it look a little bit glowier. And if I have got movement around my mouth, I just sort of like press a dirty concealer brush into the area without I do that done to it, or I just cause you have fingers and warm I kind of just smooge when it comes back. And I also think that you need to remember that no one's looking at your facely as closely as you are, So though you think that you're make up separating and wearing off in different no one's noticing. But also we do it for us, so of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but no one else is going to look at you in as much detail, and why are we looking it up? Like if I looked at my makeup right now, actually closely, I'd find a lot wrong with it.
Speaker 2: Well, you've been out since Saturday, I have. Yeah, that's try one of those powders. Get a travel size, try something affordable. But yeah, these truly translucent. They're called universally translucent. They are actually clear, yes, exactly, and anyone can use them. Maybe not the deeper skin tones. I think they've got really nice translucent powders. It aren't white because they can do a bit of a white cast, do they Yeah, but for a lot of skin tones you can use the translucent white ones. But then they do have specific ones for darker skin tones.
Speaker 3: Excellent, Okay.
Speaker 2: Naomi sent us the question, this is another makeup question, because you know what we often find, we get a lot of skin questions, you know, year round, but then coming out to spring what we call.
Speaker 3: The party season.
Speaker 1: I've seen that this is going to be playful makeup summer. Like people are saying that people are going to be having fun. That doesn't mean you have to.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I want to. I feel left out anyway.
Speaker 2: Naomi asked us the following question, Hello, I have a makeup challenge.
Speaker 3: So as a girl in the know, I do what girls do.
Speaker 2: Challenge I think she means like problem problem, so at if you will an undrum. So, as a girl in the know, I do what girls do and head to your beauty podcast for answers. I'm finding my makeup is pilling, but only on one side of my face, between my eyeline and my temple. It's the combination of serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, and tinted BB cream. That's its well everywhere on my face, but those two spots. It's Pillar Paloosa. I love her, She's got personality. Is it a combination of layers, poor application technique? I use my fingers and a foundation brush, not pouncing a sponge. She doesn't pounce Kelly, Kelly's a pouncer. I've got to get you pouncing in Or is it just some sort of weird karmic revenge for all the times I've parked badly?
Speaker 3: Please help? I know the answer?
Speaker 1: So do I?
Speaker 2: Oh, well you go first, Now you go. Well, we might have different answers, but I have experienced such conundrum.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I just think that potentially there's a build up of dead skin cells and old makeup in that area, and so she needs to use a chemical exfolia ding ding Ding.
Speaker 2: This happens to me here, see because also I have the strangest hairline where I have like three millimeters between my eyebrows and my hair.
Speaker 1: How many do I have?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Way more? Remember when I.
Speaker 2: Use that type and my hair joined my eyebrows and I had to have it threaded. So I often neglect that area because I, you know, doing my skincare and whatever chemic soolion or my vitamin A, I often don't even I offically do stuff to its skincare wise, but not enough. And this happened to me when my makeup was great. I knew all the layers, I know what layers play well, but just these two, like my temple pretty much or just above my browbone to my hair was peeling. Yeah, because even if you think about if you do have a lot of space, yeah, a lot of the time we just sort of focus on that center part of our face and we don't. I even sometimes have to remind myself to do my skincare up onto my ears, yes, like my especially sunscreen, sunscreen and exfoliation, because that skin is really neglected. Okay exactly, And I'm going to recommend some products, but use one of these because I've got some just you know Bha. You want to probably an Aha Bha blend, just because there's sounds like there's a lot of dead skin cells to get rid of.
Speaker 3: But some of the.
Speaker 1: Wipes, like I think a cloth wipe is really easy. Here those doctor Dennis Gross ones that are so expensive, yes, well I've got cheaper ones.
Speaker 3: Well are they? I mean they're not as expensive.
Speaker 2: The First Aid Beauty has like a little twenty eight pad travel thing, and also there is the prep and glow by New Face and they've got little individually packed cloths. Can I tell you get one of these when you're doing your little eyebrow bit, do is behind your ear.
Speaker 1: And look at it. It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: And also do your back because we often don't scrub our bot.
Speaker 2: I agree, but just like do this and then also do in your ear and all around like this behind here is foul. I do mind quite a lot because I enjoy it. So long story short, Naomi, it's probably exfoliation, so use you know anything that you've got at home. If you've already got a chemical exfoliant. The Paula's Choice BHA is great that now comes in a little travel size. I related to travel sizes today. It's a great way to try different things as well, isn't it? As I said, the new face little wipes are great. So it's the first day. They're like little discs, but you could also try if you wanted something that's a bit more manual. Although this has kind of enzymes in it is our favorite Dermologica daily mycrofole Oh yes, which is.
Speaker 3: Like a little clay.
Speaker 2: You had a little bit of water and then you can kind of custom.
Speaker 1: Buff how much buffing you want, yeah, how much.
Speaker 3: Stuffing you want on your face?
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I actually think that that is the only possible option as to what well.
Speaker 2: I literally had this problem both sides, and I was like, what's going on? And this was a time where I was using the consistent like serum, sunscreen, makeup. I knew they worked well. I exfoliated ding ding fix it right up. Please everyone go get a swipey or even just a cotton pad and clean behind your ears and of your face.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun. Yeah, and just report back on the difference that it makes.
Speaker 2: And also when you're in the shower, if you cleanse in the shower or not make sure you cleanse your ears as well.
Speaker 3: It's very important.
Speaker 1: I clean myase every day just because it feels so good. I know it's not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, the ear buddy things, but no, I mean, like, actually, not inside your ear drum. Does inside your ear drum feel that's naughty? I know I like doing that with tooth foss.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: We're not in my ear anyway.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to floss your teeth. That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but I like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, onto, beauty bite, beauty bite. I did not even mean to have a segue, but mine's got to do with tooth foss. I wish I brought some, but my hair's up anyway. So frizz City's either raining and your hair's frizzy, or it's getting humid and your hair's frizzy.
Speaker 3: Maybe not when I want.
Speaker 2: I know I'm weird, but obviously sometimes you can just use product and a serum. You can use a toothbrush. But did you know this is what I've done when I've been in an emergency, a frizz emergency. Do you have toothfloss with you? Like all the time?
Speaker 1: No, because I hate the feeling, and I never floss my teeth. I'm fine. The dentist has not know.
Speaker 2: Well, look I'm a floss addict, and it's not great. I normally have those little pixture things. But if you've got regular toothfloss and you don't have any hair products, you get a tiny bit of lip balm or something and you put it on the floss.
Speaker 3: I wish I could do it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even already have like some product on.
Speaker 3: It's a bit waxy, but you know, we're working with frizzy, okay. And then you put it. I put it on my centerpart and then I go, h really firm.
Speaker 1: I bet that works a true it does.
Speaker 2: It's so satisfying. I mean, if you've got hairspray, great or like whatever. But if you've really stuck on a desert island with lip part and toothfloss and you're really worried about your frizze, you know, because the island's great, you literally get like a length of you know, a couple of centimeters. Well what's that twenty centimeters? I don't know, yes, and then like just like I just put like a tiny bit of lip balm. I've got like a a chuby lip barm on it and then you just hold it where your parties are, where the frizze is quite firm, like like you're putting a hat on, and then you just slide it down the length of your hair and it just MUSHes it. Yes, and then you're not getting lots of juicy lip farm on your hands. But also your hands are way too heavy handed because it's the tiniest string with the of lip balm, it just smushes them down. But it's like nothing happened.
Speaker 1: That's genius.
Speaker 2: That's actually I love that I starting a guiver of beauty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really should. It should be like a little sub channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've run out of ideas, but that was all I had besides all my other great ones.
Speaker 3: What's your Beauty?
Speaker 1: A bit of a PSA and I'm really loving a p SA right now. I actually really am on eye. I feel like yeahs soap and we will link the video that I'm referencing in the show notes. But it's been making the rounds on socials over the last couple of weeks. There was this lovely lass who basically came out and talked about what an esthetician has done to her skin. Have you seen it? Yes, in La an esthetician is kind of like between a skin therapist and a dermatologist.
Speaker 3: I would say, like.
Speaker 1: They've done a bit of training, but not well.
Speaker 3: I mean it also depends where here they're very good.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, America, I think you can just like go and buy lasers and stuff and call yourself.
Speaker 1: A And it was just a reminder. So firstly, this esthetician who she trusted with her face after many treatments, burnt her skin, actually burnt her skin so badly.
Speaker 2: The treatment was she having. Do you recall they were doing appeal? Yeah, yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Appeals. People think, oh, it's just appeal. It's just something that you can know.
Speaker 3: Like putting acid on your phone.
Speaker 1: People can go so wrong. And this is just why it's so important to know who you're going to and anyway, and then she proceeded to like the lady was kept trying to fix it. She spent sixty thousand dollars. Firstly, if someone ever stuffed something up, they kept.
Speaker 3: Going back to the same person trying to get it fixed.
Speaker 1: Because the lady said, hey, I can help you with this, I can fix this. Sad, but that lady should have then covered it.
Speaker 3: I remember, but I would also not go back to that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But I remember when my sister was younger, she's always had really sensitive skin, and she went to a salon for her eyebrows to be threaded and plucked, and they waxed, and she'd said to them, I've got sensitive skin.
Speaker 3: Much skin lifted, like literally takes his skin off.
Speaker 1: And that happened. And the next day was her formal and she was so self conscious. And I called them up and I said, she told you that she had sensitive skin. And I've always been a really like bossy big sister. I said, so you can help her cover this up. So I took her back in there and made them help cover it up. Yeah, because my makeup wasn't cutting it. And also just to be like, look what you did because you didn't listen.
Speaker 3: I think it's a.
Speaker 2: Really important reminder that these things are serious. You know, we especially in our beauty bubble here, we talk about like these things like it ain't no thing, but getting professional treatments, whether it's needling, lasers, peels, it's pretty full on and it can cause a lot of damage in the wrong hand. So word of mouth, asking for recommendations from friends.
Speaker 1: Also trusting your gut. So I have told you about this before. When I was in my twenties, I was doing a trial with a brand, so I was in beauty media, so it was comped, and I was doing weekly facials because they were trying to clear up my accounts, right, And my skin progressively got worse and it looked always burnt, and my acne was just catastrophically getting worse, and they were going, it's purging, it's purging. No, no, uggr gut, You're not purging for that long. And in the end I did finally listen to my gut and just went, no, no, this is not right. But I just I really felt for that girl. And it's just a real reminded to look into don't buy group on vouchers for treatments. Yeah, don't go to someone with a little to no qualification sex, word of mouth, asking the your beauty.
Speaker 2: Facebook and how about a consultant. Go home and think about it.
Speaker 1: I google reform.
Speaker 2: But there's a scar on my arm that's from when I was nineteen. I got the bus in from where I lived into the city and I had a laser hair removal test patch back then because I've got very hairy arms. I shaved them now see busines, and that scar still I'm forty three, because they burnt, like through to the bone. And I remember calling the next day and like there was no camera phones. I was like, and so I had to go back and show them and they're like, oh, that's yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Your fault, and I was like okay.
Speaker 2: And I was already ashamed of my hairy arms, and you know, then you ashamed of your scars, and that's the thing. Well, I'm not I'm just like your negodgence. But when you're younger, I don't think there was no social media to call people out.
Speaker 1: And I'm not a huge calling out. I firmly believe that a lot of business should be handled behind cl doors because you don't realize that it can really impact a small business. So if you can sort it out behind.
Speaker 2: Closed doors, please, And most people have good intentions, but yes, follow your gut, do you. Yeah, just don't go for the bargain when it's your face in someone else's hands. I was just a little another soapbox persae that toothfloss soapboxes better finally go home and wash my makeup. Oh, I hope you had a good time. Thank you so much for joining us on New Beauty. We'll be back together our gosh, before we know what. I hope Kelly's been home by then.
Speaker 1: Hopefully I've showered.
Speaker 2: If you will faith In the meantime, follow us on Instagram you can see all the behind the scenes treths and on.
Speaker 1: YouTube that's where the episodes go live. Every single note. The episodes drop in your podcast feed in the morning and then on YouTube later at nighttime. Yeah, so you can listen and then watch, or you can do whatever your preference is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 5: Bye bye,