Speaker 1: Whatever the reasons for cutoffs, I think they are among the most impactful measures that you can do to a family system. And the way I know it is because there is not a family that I've worked with that when this has happened, even in the generations before, doesn't tell it to me within the first three minutes. Hi, I'm Kateline brook and my guest today is Esther Perrell.
Speaker 2: Esther is one of the world's most influential relationship therapists. She spent decades helping people understand love, desire, marriage, infidelity, intimacy, and family. Her books have become international best sellers, Her TED talks have been watched by millions, and through her podcast Where Should We Begin, she's invited us into the private conversations most people only have behind closed doors. What makes Esther's work so compelling is that she doesn't just talk about relationships. She talks about relationships as a reflection of the culture we live in, the families we come from, and the people we're trying to become. And lately, there's one story that seems to be playing out everywhere. We've watched it happen publicly with Brooklyn Beckham and Nicola Pelts with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. An adult child falls in love, chooses a partner, and suddenly finds themselves caught between the family they came from and the family they're trying to build. The details are different, but the tension is familiar. What happens when your parents don't approve of the person you've chosen, What happens when a partner enters a family and changes its dynamics forever? And why can choosing the person you love sometimes feel like betraying the people who raised you. Today, Esther and I are talking about loyalty, family love, estrangement, and what happens when our most important relationships collide. This is Esther Parrel, Esther Perel, Welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's a great thrill to have you here. It's a pleasure for me to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, let us see at the end who's been pleasured. But I was thinking about you and really your contribution to I think a public analysis of relationships that is at once very personal for people. And I was thinking about your heritage. You come to us from New York but by Belgium, and my dad, who was Dutch, was married in Belgium. He married my mum and he would always say, oh, the Belgians are very unusual people.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: They have the practicality of the Dutch and the romance of the French. And I think that that is kind of attendant in your work.
Speaker 1: Do you think, But my origins are not Belgian. Oh oh, my origins are Polish.
Speaker 2: Ah, so I could probably like post holocausts.
Speaker 1: Yes. So my parents arrived as refugees to Belgium from Poland and where refugees for a good five years in Belgium until they became nationalized. But I think that the metaphor holds. I definitely had the practicality, and I am from the Flemish part of Belgium, but I did absorb a lot of the French culture as well as the Latin romance part. And now the big difference between Belgium and Holland is that one country is Catholic, the other is Protestant. Ah. Yes, and that also influences right, yes.
Speaker 2: And because the Catholic have the flambuoyance I guess in even in their worship that the Protestants do not have. Correct yeah, correct, yeah, quite austere I mean, but Dutch people like to go to Belgium when they want to go out, Yeah, when they want to have a good time, because part of it is about, you know, a certain vivre in abundance rather than the more freedom. Yes, so you brought I think that freedom to what previously I think a lot of people would have thought as as quite a dry science, the science of psychotherapy.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never thought of psychotherapy as a Drey saying say I'm stepped in it. I still am a practitioner today. I keep myself close to the craft and my feet on the ground, and I think it's an endlessly fascinating occupation and preoccupation. So maybe what I have done that I was thirty five years in my office, and I was teaching and practicing, and I felt at a certain moment that I wanted to lower the worlds of the office, and I wanted to bring to the public the insights, the revelations, the conversations that take place in this closed room and that most people have no access to. I wanted to also democratize it and bring it into the public square. And I did that with the podcast Where Should We Begin, which is basically one time of anonymous therapy sessions, consultations with couples and individuals now as well, kind of you'll be a fly on the wall and listening on what other dilemmas of other people, because when you listen carefully to them, you will actually see yourself. And then I decided not just to lower the walls, but then I thought I wanted to get out of the office, and I began to speak in public and do lectures and tours. They're not lectures, they're really interactive experiences. That's how I came to Australia. The last time I was on tour here and I went to a bunch of different cities and right after the pandemic, right when people began to come out of lockdown, and it was a most moving experience because for many people it was the first time that they were back in public and with other papers, with other people. The intimacy of that. It was two things. One was for them to be back with close by sitting. For so many, many years, we had seen every person as a potential contaminant, and now we were back, you know, allowing the nervous system to let people come close to us and not instantly go into a fight or flight. And at the same time, I also noticed how much people in Australia had listened to where should We Begin during Lovetown to the podcast, and so they had a whole relationship with me, a parasocial relationship with me where they felt like I knew them in some way, and that gave a whole different tone to the to the evenings because people had questions that are way beyond what are the typical questions asked the public talk like what sort of questions. It's the question, it's a depth of question. You know if I trust you and I know you have a good sense of me because I've heard you do it with somebody else, and that you understand my dilemma that when I ask you should I stay or shall I go? Or how do I know that I am not repeating a pattern? Or how much can I learn to to build trust again when it has been broken? But it's the questions, there's the same, but it's the level with which a vulnerability with which you ask it because you feel that this person in me has come close to you, talking to you through another couple who was going through the same mejor dilemmas as you because it's almost like.
Speaker 2: Listening, for instance, to you know where should we begin, or generally to listening to you speak. The power that you have is almost like you're a mind reader. But I feel like you're speaking about me and my relationship. But hundreds of thousands of other people also feel like you're doing that. That's extraordinary, and I do think, beyond the science of it and your study of it, that it is some kind of gift. When did you realize that you had an understanding of humans beyond textbook?
Speaker 1: I would say around twelve oh ten twelve oh Quite early. I was fascinated with understanding people. I came from a community of people who had experienced massive trauma, collective trauma, displacement, destitution, annihilation, extermination, etc. And I just I was very interested in who are these people that are around me that have lived things, including my parents, that are no words for I saw them, and I saw those who be treated from life, and I saw those who kind of grabbed life at its fullest, and I wondered what makes one person go in this direction and what makes other people react differently. I saw their reactions to their children, to to how much they trusted the world, or were hyper vigilant. I felt all of these things, and then I and then I saw the kids us, you know, and and then I got interested in romantic relationships because I was tipped into the French world and poetry and the songs and the films and that whole thing. And so I would say, very early on, as a teenager, an early adolescent, I was interested in relationships, in studying relationships and looking at relationships across cultures, and looking at how people navigate different cultural codes in their relationships. And very early on I came up with this trede also to speak that I they would say, the quality of your relationships determines the quality of your life. Yes, and that has stayed. I probably didn't express it in those words back then, but it actually became my way of living and also my way of what I can offer two people. Because also your timing has been extraordinary, because I think people have never felt more isolated, even though we're supposedly more connected, and there's a real hunger for people to understand as things change, and as our cultural norms have changed, how to still connect with that part of your humanity, which is that you want to be loved and you want to love. So I would say that the actual turning point is before that. It's before modern loneliness. It starts with when I wrote Meeting in Captivity, right, which was this year is its twentiethniverse two thousand and six, yesh, and so we are celebrating the twentieth diniversity and of relation captivity Meeting in Captivity, and that was a book that really questions some of our fundamental assumptions about what are the expectations that we bring to modern love. How do we grapple with these contradictions, What is the relationship between love and desire? What does it mean to have a relationship in a world where sexuality is no longer because you want to have multiple children, nor because it's exclusively a woman's marital duty, but it is rooted in pleasure and connection? And how do you do that for the long haul? And what does the long haul mean when it gets twice as long as it used to be? So all these questions, what happens to a generation of people who have permission like they've never had before, but don't really feel like they want it. They would want to want, and they don't know why they don't erotically speaking, not just secually, in terms of the life as they bring to their relationships. So that was the first part of this. That's long for social media, that's long before smartphones, et cetera. Then I think things begin to shift. People begin to a gradual retreat from relationships. And I would for me this is really a tipping point during the pandemic. The pandemic imposed a level of isolation that slowly became an unmet level of loneliness.
Speaker 3: And then the extrapolation of that is wash is that more and more people began to lose their social skills, that there is a massive social atrophy.
Speaker 1: When you don't use a muscle, the muscle atrophies. It is no different in our social life when you don't talk to people, when you don't reach out. When you begin to live a contactless life where you don't need to leave your house, whether it's to work or to eat, or to shop or to exercise, but you live primarily in a state of domestic gravity and enforced presentism for a long time, you start to have a harder time going out and reaching out again. You don't remember it, you know, it's exactly actually what people used to experience when they began to come out of lockdown. At the same time as you are socially retreated, you are also digitally more connected. Yes, modern loneliness masks itself as hyper connectivity. It isn't that people don't have connections, but they lack debt.
Speaker 2: And is it also that, for instance, because of our digital connection, that we're getting those rapid dopamine heats that once we would get from contact with another person socially or romantically. So with that part of our brain is cited if we do what if we are digitally online, we feel like our brain feels like it's getting that reward that once upon a time you would have to get from another person.
Speaker 1: So everything changed. In two thousand and nine, two buttons were created, the like button and the algorithm that was going to feed you things according to what you had been hitting on before. Right, those two buttons pretty much have changed the social landscape, and that includes how the brain responds to the kind of interactions that we seek. We became even more comparative. We also became even more performative. What we you know, people have performed forever. This is not a new behavior. People performed on the steps of a church. You know, people brought their best suit out on a Sunday morning. But the speed with it, the absolute scale, you know, for me, for so long, a scale was something you stand on and don't get good news. You know, this concept of scaling of massa of accumulation, that made a big difference. You can have a thousand virtual friends, but nobody to feed your cat. There is a line that I have used often because everyone gets it. It's like, what is the difference between friends and friendship?
Speaker 2: And as you're traveling the world now speaking to people, what is the overriding sense of what they are seeking from you?
Speaker 1: It has become okay, let me put it like this. If I have in the palm of my hand advice that gives me straightforward answers what to do, where to go, what to eat, how to get there, what to listen to, what to watch, and takes away all doubt, all experimentation, all mistakes, all serendipity, all uncertainty, all unexpected, all adventure, all adventure. Then I begin to expect a certain predictability in life and perfection for that matter. That makes it much harder for me to deal with the uncertainty that is at this point at a core of our existence. Not that we haven't had uncertainty before, but we used to live we used to know how to live with it, and we had a whole set of institutions that helped us deal with the unpredictable and the uncertain and the unknown. It was called primarily religion, and then social institutions, and then community and rituals. All these things helped us to deal with the fact that we didn't control many things. But now that we have a device that seems to be able to control everything, we have become even less capable of dealing with ambiguity, with complexity, with uncertainty. And they come to me and they ask me questions that they have sat with, sometimes for a long time, but they would like for me to be able to answer it in a way that would take away that ambiguity and uncertainty. That's one piece. I think people have questions about where is technology taking us. People have questions about how much do you have to remain loyal and dutiful to your family when your family doesn't treat you well. Yes, I think people come to me with questions about what do you do when inside a relationship there are different world views, political stances, approaches to nature, broach just to religion that seem to make it impossible. Can you still be with somebody who sees the world fundamentally different from you. People come to me wanting to know if they should leave or if they should stay. People come to me wanting to know if they met the right person. Wow. People come to me to know how should they relate to the person that betrayed them? And can trust be rebuilt? And how do they deal with the fact that they no longer trust their own perception. People come to me with all the questions that people ask themselves, because sometimes they want a language to basically articulate that which they sense but cannot put into words.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I imagine that they need someone who has replies the role of friend that they might not necessarily have. You're the person who can feed the cat.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I'm not faking. I don't feed the cat. And I'm not a friend, not your friend. But I will help you know how to make friends. I will guide you to make contact. You know, a stranger is often the best friend you haven't yet met. How to talk to people again, how to stand in a queue.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yesterday when I landed, I was waiting for the uber and a young woman was standing in front of me and she heard me leave a message to someone and she turned around and she started talking and we had a little bit of a chatter. You here first time, Yes I am No, I'm not. And I just told myself, Wow, this is becoming an exception. This is not right. Disengagement, This engagement, you know, rather than everybody with their face down. And it was so nice because we had a long queue. I learned a lot of things. She learned a lot of things. But it is no longer a given. I went to the gym last week and somebody saw that I was struggling with the machine and he offered to help. And we started this whole conversation about the bright use of the machine and how often do we do it, And then he said, you know, everybody else is with their phone as they're sitting on the machine, and they're not even sharing the thing with you. And I said, this is so nice, And I said I don't have that often enough that somebody just you know, shows me how to do this better, correct me, you know, without having to flirshing. No no, I was talking about how his wife is doing this. It was it was No, that's the nice thing. It was just a bunch of people who are all training there. It's the fact that the spontaneity of it, the serendipity of it, is no longer just an obvious thing. It's it's you notice it and you have to go out of your why now to create it. That but also when you are the recipient of it, you realize, oh my god, I don't get this so often anymore. I used to. This used to be part of my daily life. I talked to people on the subway, I talk to people at the just as you went to the er a movie or came out of a movie. What did you think?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: You just that kind of what I would call a social social lubricant is not present. So then everything starts to feel like it's an unusual effort.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then you become suspicious of any encounter because you're so unused to it, and the foreign feels somehow too peculiar.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the unknown, the mystery, the discovery, the exploration, the pull towards you know, what else is here? That's the risk taking. Everybody is very focused on the safety and the risk taking which is part of a lifeness and creativity and connection and playfulness, is really suffering after the break Esther Perel discusses the dynamics of bringing a new partner into the family.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have questions, yes, and I have a question about I think very often there'll be a moment, a cultural moment that resonates with people like broadly, and I think that it probably reflects questions that we have in ourselves about our lives, or there's it's some kind of touchstone, and one of those is to do with family, and it's to do I mean, there's quite a few examples, but top of mind at the moment is Brooklyn Beckham and his wife Nikola Peltz and for instance, Harry Prince, Harry and his wife Megan. And it's to do with when you have fallen in love with someone and your family doesn't approve, and conversely when you and the opposite, right, So.
Speaker 1: What was it meaning? Well, the opposite meaning that either your family doesn't.
Speaker 2: Like the other time.
Speaker 1: Yes, some questions about that.
Speaker 2: In particular, what is it that's so triggering in a family when as a foreign a foreigner comes in which anyone sort of is brought into the family. Faulty is I guess to a certain extent, but they pull against the moras of the family. Why do you think that's invoked such a strong reaction? Like worldwide and a curiosity? What is it that is that we find so fascinating about that?
Speaker 1: And we'd like to start from two places, and I know which one. Number one. There is nothing that is more impactful on a family or on a relational system in general than the addition and substraction of new members birds marriages. That's more people, less people is the stuff that has the most impact on a family, period. So that question that you're asking me needs to be put in that context. How the family absorbs the loss or absorbs the addition of the new person is the question that you're asking. So I spent the first twenty years of my career working with mixed families, interracial, intracultural, into religious couples and families. So I was steeped in the subject of families that we're having all kinds of reactions to the foreigner in our midst so to speak, not just because of immigration, but it could be religion, it could be culture, It could be class, it could be anything that wasn't part of the endogamous model of that group, and many groups have practiced various forms of endogamy in group marriage. So when does the person become a threat to our cohesiveness, to what we think is our way of doing things. How much will we need to change for this person that is not what we expected from you. It's a betrayal if you marry or if you go and live with someone who is outside of the boundaries of what we have decided is acceptable. So that's on the part of the family, and then on the part of the person. It is the battle, maybe not the battle, but the tension between loyalty and individual freedom. Individual freedom is I choose whoever I want. Love is a free choice enterprise. I decide who I choose to be with and to make my life with. And that value stands in conflict with the value that even in families where there is no arranged marriage, there has been an implicit sense of what would be the acceptable marriage for the tribe, for the family first, and then for the community and for the tribe, but certainly for the family. The fact that we you know, it is the battle of romanticism with tradition. Tradition meant relationships are not a free choice thing. You go and you stay within your class, within your group, within your you know whatever other values that have been deemed as chosen by your family. And what has changed today is that more and more the notion of individual freedom has taken precedence. Relationships used to be about duty and obligation and loyalty, yes, and today they are about free choice and options and personal authenticity. And personal authenticity means that I'm going to be true to myself and that that may be more important than my connection with my family. Now, what do people do. They want a family to accept the person they chose. They want the family to be gracious, to not be insulting or contemptuous or ignoring. They want recognition for their own identity and for their own authenticity.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the autonomy too, of yes, And the autonomy that comes with the free choice that I choose who I love, and who I love is who I choose to make a life with marriage or not.
Speaker 1: And you are to accept that. That is a reversal of what family life has been organized around across cultures for most of history. The family wasn't there to adapt to you. You were there to adapt and to adjust to the family's expectations. We are at a real crossroads in that level.
Speaker 2: On that level, and if someone has been brought into the family, which and I know many families in which this is the case, someone who is like trying a grenade into the family by maybe just by virtue of who they are, or maybe by intent, what can the family do to accommodate that and to not alienate the person that loves the person.
Speaker 1: But what I ask the family first and foremost is I mean, I do a lot of work around family estrangement, have done. But the first question is what is important to you to maintain your continuity, your identity, your cohesiveness, or to maintain contact with your child. Depending on what you answer me, I may have an idea of what you need to do. Those are two very different programs. You want to you want to see your kid again, You want to see your grandchildren again, if there ever are any, or you want to be at first because you said not over my dead body, or your grandmother would roll around in her grave, or you know, and that level of continuity is more important to you than harmony in the family, and it's not for me to make that decision. Now, that's provided that the various members of the family agree. Most of the time, when a grenade is thrown, there is a role distribution inside the family about the reactions to the grenade.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so mu's impossible to not really, that's a normal, totally expected enormal. So one person is, you know, intent on going frontal with the grenade. One person is becoming the diplomat. One becomes the facilitator.
Speaker 1: One becomes the one who says, you can all have a party without me, you know, have your own drama. I'm out of this. One goes on the site and has secret conversations with the people who've been shunned. One gives money which the other one doesn't know. You know, this is actually really not new. It's just that the actual declaration is more official at this moment.
Speaker 2: And in a family, if you have very painful by the way, yes, it's I think it's important to say.
Speaker 1: It's that these things are not done lightly, and they are usually not instant. It's not like, you know, the moment you brought the person that was the grenade. Things it's been brewing. It's very slight. One ignoring, one indifference, one contempt. There's layers and layers of accumulation, and then at one point something is done and that becomes the breaking point on one side or the other. I think that's very important. It's not people usually what happened, and they give you the last thing. No, that last thing sits on the law, the camel's backs, the straw.
Speaker 2: Yes. But you know, I also i'd be curious to know how often the protagonists in this are women, because I have a theory.
Speaker 1: I'll be interested in women that are the partners of Yes, the women who are very.
Speaker 2: Acutely aware of the slides where sometimes I think two women can be going to war in a room and the men will be oblivious, Whereas I think women have a very nuanced way and a rating of things.
Speaker 1: And so they going to say to their partner, look, you're being mistreated, that are being unfair to you. You've never seen how they favored your brother. They give them an analysis of the relational map, the hidden map of the family, and how you've been taken advantage of and you didn't know, and I'm going to correct that for you. So here's the thing. It is often the women, but I think the main issue you're highlighting here is different. Very often a partner will become triangulated explain the term in the relationship between their partner and their parents or parents. So you are having issues, I'm having issues with you male female, It doesn't really matter them. The person is having some issues with their parents, all sorts. But I don't fully confront you. So there's two options. A Version one is I don't fully confront you, but my partner becomes the person who confronts you. My partner is expressing my anger to you, and what it actually produces is that I then can become the loyal person that defends you to my partner. That's the triangulation. So you're doing what a partner should do it. That's right, you do the dirty job. You're taking on the feelings and the confrontations that your partner isn't that they should be having with their own parents, and you're doing it for them, and then you will be burnt for it too. Quite often. Version number two is I have been in an open confrontation with you, and therefore I picked the one partner that I knew for a fact, you were never going to accept as a as a statement of my autonomy, my sovereignty, and my freedom and the fact that you ain't going to be the best of me. Yeah, we call that a fuck you. Okay, you said it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So in your law, in your work as a therapist, how often are people coming to you because it's familiar all and how often because it's personal?
Speaker 1: Or can you not separate? That's a beautiful question. Look, I'm a family therapist by training. I'm a systems oriented family therapy. That's where I really was incubated. Then I moved to coppers. Why did I move to couples therapy? That's an interesting question to your because couple's therapy really became more prominent and popular when, for the first time in history, the survival of the family depended on the happiness of the couple. Throughout history, the couple could be miserable, it didn't really matter because the family stayed together no matter what. But once we could leave, our expectations about what would make us stay fundamentally changed by women, by the way, primarily, So this is why couple's therapy became no longer just to bring in the partner, because they have a child that's having challenges. But this is because the relationship between the couple is what's going to determine who the children are going to live with and if the family will stay together or not in its original composition. So are the issues familial or as the individual. I think that it's very hard to separate where you've learned how to connect or how to be more vigilant, where you've learned to trust, where you've learned how to express your emotions, how you've learned whether to cry is okay, whether to laugh out loud, whether to be ambitious, Where you've learned to be held and rocked and sowed versus being attacked and violated and harmed. All of those major foundational experiences about being in relationship. You have learned with the people who raised you, the parents of parental figures. However, where you've learned, it doesn't mean that that's where you stay. You are not just what happened to you. You are also what you become, and that's where you have control over what you become. Yes, but I'm not sure I would use the word control. I think it's a conversation. Some pieces will stay, but you can choose to do certain things with it. You can turn them around, you can become more creative about it. They are your raw material, but your raw material sometimes you can, you know, warm it up again and then give it a new shape. Right, that's the thing. Yes, exactly After this short break, Esther Parrel answers a question about her own marriage, which might even have surprised her. You've been married for a long time?
Speaker 2: Or is something when you have an argument with your husband?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Who wins the argument? Ester Parrel? Oh, it's going back and forth. I think, you know, it depends what you call winning the argument. Is it the person who says, I had enough of this, We're not going to talk about it? Is the person who wins? Or is it the person that for two days walks around in a funk drive because you know, you really annoyed me and I have nothing left to say to you. I think who wins the argument is actually humor and the notion that love can encompass at the same time, not in the same moment, but one after another. You're impossible. I can't bear the thought of staying with you another minute, and then, oh my god, I can't imagine my life without you, and that's the winner. The winner is the love that knows that when this is over, this comes back, that after the rain comes the sun and a good dose of humor will help that too. I think that the winner is less about him or me, but the force that we are able to bring in at that moment that says, really, is that what we're going to do? And I would say he's better at the humor, He's better. Yeah, he's the better diffuser. But he's a psychologist.
Speaker 2: He's a psychologist, and in what why does he differ from you in his approach to so.
Speaker 1: My husband has actually worked for decades in global mental health and in collective trauma, disasters, terrorist attacks, wars, post conflict, and more injury of war. I re jokingly said that he does pain and I do pleasure. Well, you know that's the complete package. Yeah, you need both. You do need both. And that also is the story of life, isn't it. It's not that you need both, it's a fact that both are. Yes, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: My mother always says, if you live long enough, something terrible is going to happen to you.
Speaker 1: And it's true, or you can put it this way. Can you know joy. If you have a known sadness, can you know pleasure? If you have a known pain? Do you need to know one in order to be able to identify the other? Can you know? And I think that that juxtaposition that yin yang is actually effectively it's the.
Speaker 2: Parrella I love you, I love you, Go and listen to my mother, so good, like such a gift twelve years old. You were right what you thought? Thank you, Thank you for sharing us this moment on no filter. So it start for someone, say, who is listening, who is having this issue with their parents, who perhaps are not accepting of their partner. What strategies can they employ two lead to some sort of softening of relations, thawing of relations.
Speaker 1: So an image I often have when I work with families who are trapped in a rigid, repetitious impass like this accept me I want anything is when you play pool, if you want to kick this ball to go in the hole, that is not the ball you kick? Which is the ball I need to kick for this one to then be pushed and then to go right. It's the angle. Yes, So who else in the environment of your parents, brands, clergy, physicians, neighbors would you speak to who have leverage, grandparents, who could speak to the parents, and first and foremost understand what is this intransigence? And often you will notice that in transigence, the rigidity, the stock, the no I want is not just because your partner is this, this, this, but it's because if my mother saw what I let you do. Everyone has a loyalty or a debate or a conflict that it goes up to the next generation, an allegiance past, yes, an allegiance or an act to grind and be both. So you are at this level. You're meeting people at the ground level. Sometimes you have to go to the attic and sometimes you have to go to the basement. Otherwise you're just staying in the same place. What I can for the attic is God, my religion, my tradition, the larger forces, what my people did in order to get here, that you are doing in one thing. You know, on what where did you get the idea that you could just you know, we fought for this, you know, and you are just like so everybody is negotiating the loyalty and the freedom and individuals. And in the basement is the grandparents, is the generations it's the roots of the story, the invisible things that are pulling at this conflict that have nothing to do with what people are actually thinking they're talking about. So my strategy is to go up, down and sideways. Sideways is all who can we talk to? Is that really? What is it that you you know? So now we bring in the best friend of your parents, or your mother or your father. And are you doing this in a sense.
Speaker 2: Where you are going in with an open hand, I need your helpier or are you really just shoring up that relationship in terms.
Speaker 1: Me or the child. The child, my relationship with my mother or my father with my mother is very important. My relationship with my dad really matterss to me. My dad thinks that because of who I'm bringing home, I'm basically saying, fuck you, I don't care about you. If only they knew, this is the thing I also say to the parents, if only they knew how I've been thinking about his response day in and day out, and how much conflict with my own partner I'm having because my dad is saying no over my dad body, I'm not coming to your wedding, and that is interpreted as you don't care about what I think when in fact, the kid is obsessed with what a parent is thinking at the same time as they're doing what they want to do as well, but they're not really doing what they want because the whole thing is being poisoned. So there's a number of things happening at the same time. So what is it about my dad? Why do you think this is?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: You know, it's like, would they would he be humiliated, would he feel like he failed? Would he feel like he conceded to something that he has? You know that that would make him feel less of a father, less of a man, less of what? You know? All of this? What's the subtext here that I'm that I am? What are the things that I'm fighting about that I don't even know I'm fighting I'm fighting with? So that's number one. The number two is at the same time as this is happening. I think what's also important in the strategy is to not just think that you have no other choice but to go back to your parents and go back to your parents, and that either it's something is going to soften. Sometimes people don't come to the wedding, but then when the grandchild arrives, they actually do have a rapprochement, and they are willing to reconnect through the grandchildren and they don't lose faith. Their honor is maintained as well.
Speaker 2: And then on the other side of that equation is that sometimes you have to extend grace.
Speaker 1: Yes, at that moment, you can say now you're coming too little, too late, or you say, you know, there are a lot of people that have been much better grandparents than they were parents, you know. But on the other side, if that rapprochement doesn't happen, I think it's very important to also tell the young couple in this case, who else is in your life who could take on some of that role for you. If it was not your family of origin, it can be your family of choice. Are their friends, neighbors, mentors, teachers, intergenerational friends that you know you could develop that relationship with so that you're not just thinking, if it doesn't happen with my on biological parents, then I'm bereft and I have to deal with the grief. You will deal with the grief that the loss will be there, The grief will be there, the resentment will be there. The did I not matter more to you than that? That that's all you know, but go and create those things, build the world that you want. Yes, yes, have those relationships with other people. You're not deprived of these relationships. You're deprived of these people to have those types of relationships with.
Speaker 2: And then if you joint have and you can't build those sort of relationships, might be the problem isn't with your parents, The problem is with you.
Speaker 1: You know, then it's you know, other community organizations are the horses of worship. But you need to go to places that value these kinds of that have the same values and for whom these bonds matter. And I think that, I mean, those are the first two that that come to mind right away. Once you have kids there and they go to school, you meet other parents too. I mean it is communal. It is not a one, one on one thing. But that's the first two strategies. Is this what I've just described, all right?
Speaker 2: Esther, the story of Romeo and Juliet, the opposition from the parents intensifies the desire for two star cross lovers to be together. How often do you think that is the case?
Speaker 1: How About if we look at it developmentally, it is sometimes the case when there is no sense of we have a common enemy. We are both strengthened by this rejection or this refusal, and it only emboldens us. But it is a defensive state. It doesn't just mean that you know. At first, that defensive state is introduced, but they don't understand the specialness of our love. Our connection is a divine intervention what we have. The world cannot understand. That's nice, a nice way of telling the story, but that is just one of the narratives. Then comes the next narrative, which is, you know, I have to stand we stand with each other. I have to stand by you. That wicked step mother that you know it's a and so you. Then comes the next narrative, which is I saw you being nice to my wicked step mother. You know I don't want to trial. Yes, now you are leaving the defense lines where we agreed on what kind of strategy we'll be going to protect ourselves with. And you we have to be united. We have to be united means we have to be the same. We have to be the same, means you are risking to become enmeshed in order to preserve ourselves against the forces on the other side. So the story shifts, It reinforces the couples at certain points. It also it becomes a defensive posture at other times, and then it becomes a fusional force where you are not allowed to actually experience it differently because we have to be a united front. And then what happens. Can of relationship continue when it's lumbering around and it has to be a two backed base. I've seen every version. I've seen people who let their children go and meet the grand parents secretly. I've seen the people go and talk to their brothers without the partner knowing because the partner had said, you know, your brother spoke to me not nicely, and I'm never talking to them again. And it's look, here's the one thing you need to know. And I think that that is so important. Cutoffs, be it from the parents to the children, children to the parents, or interest sibling. Cut offs in families are anything but distance. Even if I don't see you for years, a cut off has a tremendous psychic energy. To talk to somebody is sometimes way less burdensome than not to talk to somebody. So I may not have spoken to you for twenty years. I never saw my parents again. I never talked to my brother again, and you know that kind of thing. But I have yet to meet a family who when this is happening, this isn't part of what they tell me within the first three minutes. If you're telling me this within the first three minutes, it means it had an identifier, a defining element to the entire relational history of this family. When you do genograms intergenerational trees, every time there will be a description about these people. Never talk to these people. This person took all the money, this person took the partner of the other, this person refused the person that they are. Whatever the reasons for cutoffs, I think they are among the most impactful measures that you can do to a family system. And the way I know it is because there is not a family that has that I've worked with that when this has happened, even in the generations before, doesn't tell it to me within the first three minutes. Silence is violence. Silence is loaded.
Speaker 2: As well, And hence the expression you know someone's living rein free in your head because the absence.
Speaker 1: That is a powerful say that I see the image, Yes, the real estate of absence.
Speaker 2: The realest side of apps, like the empty lot, Yes, the empty lot with squirrels.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know this is a very vast topic. Yes, and it has always been a part of working with families and couples and mixed marriages, and but at this moment there is a real resurgence of family estrangements, low contact, low contact. Yes, why do you think I think the best? There's many ways probably to understand it. But the way that I get it is that because the underlying assumptions of what drives relationships has fundamentally shifted. I used to be able. I used to have to continue to see my parents and the rest of the family no matter what I thought, no matter how I felt, it was duty, it was obligation. That is what drove relationships to their relationships and our free choice enterprise, And they are determined by how I feel. And if I don't feel close to you, and if I don't love you, and if I don't I don't think you loved me properly, I don't really feel like I should have to. That is a different set of assumptions about the basis with which I decide how to behave in my relationships. What I'm to accept and what I am not to accept, what I'm to keep silent. Where's the truth to myself versus my obligation to you?
Speaker 2: And where once you were in Gigi bound to be at church on Sunday whatever, so you would have to cross. That's not really a thing anymore because what does.
Speaker 1: The church mean to me? If it is meaningful to me to be there? So the individual is in the center. Before that, the family was in the center, and the individual adjusted to the family. I'm traditional, but you know I used to go. People were going home for the holidays and they had to endure the same banter, bad jokes, questions, And now it's like, why shall I go? We never get to talk about anything. They start to bother me, they start to humiliate me, the embarrass me, they make me I should I don't think I should go. And if I live by the how does it affect me? I will make some kind of decisions. And if I live by it doesn't matter how it affects me, because that's what's expected of me. I will react differently. And the complicated thing today is that many of us don't just live within one value system. We will integrate multiple value systems inside of us.
Speaker 2: And do you think baral question it is better to put the individual above the social structures, or vice versa.
Speaker 1: When people lived in the bosom of community and communal life and tribes and villages, they longed for freedom and for free choice. And when people live within the individualistic, hyperindividualistic structures of modern urban living, they are obsessed to talk about community and rebuilding the village. Are people never happy? People will often long for the part of life that is not attended to enough in the model that they're living in. Beautiful, beautiful. I really think that that's the It's not that people are that you need both. You need freedom and you need security.
Speaker 2: But I also think that there's a maybe because of the departure from the church, et cetera, in those community structures, there's a lot of people who give out advice like just cut them off. Just do they make it feel bad, that's the end of story. So I think there's encouragement to people to there's a conflating exercising your power with cutting people for extriciding yourself from a situation and then never returning to it, And I don't think they necessarily beneficial.
Speaker 1: My answer to this is that I always invite caution in giving people that type of advice do this or do that, or don't do this, because the only person who has to live with the consequences of the decision is that person, not you. It's very easy to say to people to cut things off or to leave or to stay or I don't have to live with the decision. You, the person, the protagonist, will have to live with the consequences of your decision for the rest of your life. And therefore, if you are going to accompany others, accompany them in their deliberations, accompany them in their ambivalence, accompany them in their self doubt, and stay with them in that. Create a holding container that lets them think out loud, the pros, the CONTs, the ifs, the yes, the no, and you create that space for them and be quiet. I'll be quiet. It's like, you know this is to me. I say, it's because because especially when you see how much pain and doubt and resentment and grief, especially grief it brings up in people. Let them first work all of this out. How do you not how do you not misuse your power? Because I think all the time I probably may have at times. You know it's not, but I often just think I am not the one who's going to have to live with that decision that is fundamentally going to be the property of the other person. So it's so easy to tell people it's three words to say, but it's a whole life to live and you have to really respect that. Look, I think that the best way I can put it aview is this, it's a real sentence that I hold by a lot of the relationship dilemmas that people are grappling with are not problems that you solve. They are paradoxes that you manage. If you stay in touch with these people, you're gonna have to endure this and this and this. You may receive some of that. You're gonna lose here, You're gonna have to stay quiet there, you're gonna it's a whole map. It's not the doer. It's not either or black and white. If you don't stay in touch with these people, this is what may happen. You may feel this, but it's gonna come with that. And then you present all of this it's Morgos board of the lemmas, and then you let people slowly find their way to it. And that takes time. In our speed up sped up world where everything has to go without, you know, without much friction with you know, we want to bypass these stages. Look, many people will say I wish I had done this sooner, and some people will say why did I never do that? Or I wish I hadn't done it. But that said, they need to get there on their own terms. That is the role of me as a therapist. If you can't do that, then you need more training. I have a feeling you're a pretty good therapist.
Speaker 2: For some.
Speaker 1: You haven't been good. For Yes, I think that the better you become as a clinician, the better you are. For some people you are the perfect fit, and for others you need to know that you may not be the right person that you recognize. Yes, you know that there are other people who will be better at this than you. They know the subject more, they have more patience. This needs this kind of intervention. That is not what you are. Where your strength, Liz, And actually, the better you become, the more discerning you are. Esther Parrell, thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: One of the things I loved about talking with Esther is that she never gives quick, simple answers. There's nothing right in a world that increasingly encourages us to cut people off, or draw a line in the sand, or choose a side Esther reminds us that relationships are rarely that simple. Families are messy, love is messy, loyalty is messy, and often the most important questions in our lives aren't problems to solve, but tensions to live with. I think what I'll take away from this conversation is the idea that growing up isn't necessary verily about choosing your family or choosing your partner. It's about learning how to build a life that makes room for both where possible, and having the wisdom to know what matters most when it isn't. If you enjoy this conversation, we'd love you to follow no Filter wherever you're listening now and leave us a review. I'm kateline Brock, and I can't wait to see you next Monday.