Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome out loud as to mom and me, are out Loud, it's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the third of August. And my name is hollywayen Wright, and I'm em Vernon and I'm Amelia Last and here's what's made our agenda for today. She's one of the world's most famous trad wives, but she says she's actually the absolute opposite.
Speaker 2: Plus an Alista has announced her taking a break from public facing work after facing endless scrutiny.
Speaker 3: And are you a sale or an anchor? This new theory has me thinking about how in some relationships I'm one and in some relationships I'm the other.
Speaker 1: But first, in case you missed it, So, just when we were sitting down to plan this show, the news came through that Delta Guldrum had just closed the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. There was the Commonwealth Games. This led some people to say that and I'm very wary about this because remember what happened recently when we did some sports reporting here on out loud. Lest even said Ozzie's don't.
Speaker 3: Really like very much, which was a heart take.
Speaker 1: The out Loud has got really upset. But the thing is is We've been talking a lot lately about the World Cup and various things, but it is true that it is not really we have not really gone. We should talk about the Commonwealth Games. Why why is that?
Speaker 3: Okay? Is part of it that it wasn't meant to happen or something?
Speaker 1: Yes, so a little bit of context first of all, ozzi or because we smashed we didn't The Commonwealth Games hasn't just finished. We smashed it on then we won. We won the Commonwealth Games m with seventy gold medals. The closest behind us were England with twenty nine.
Speaker 3: So that's a big, huge We don't even need to do that thing we do at the Olympics with the per capita medal tally and this one we're just on top.
Speaker 2: Just England's very Commonwealth's.
Speaker 1: They they are, one fact, say they were the responsible for the whole theme and so yeah, but this was the Games. Remember that was meant to be in Victoria. There was a big.
Speaker 3: Bad memory hold in the culture.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, is that there was meant to be not just in Melbourne but in several regional cities in Victoria. It was a very ambitious statewide project and it was meant to be there.
Speaker 2: And then remember we were very excited because we were like, oh, Commonwealth Games and then Brisbane's getting the Olympics after that, and we.
Speaker 1: Were all very exports world sport, right. But in twenty twenty three, the then premiere Dan Andrews went, actually, no, that's so wild that he just said, we're.
Speaker 3: Not doing that.
Speaker 1: No, no one had done that, I don't think, and they just were like nah. And then for a while it looked like the Gold Coast might take it, and then they.
Speaker 3: Were like we got too much going on.
Speaker 1: They didn't get any support from the federal government, so basically everyone was just passing around the common.
Speaker 3: It falls to Scotland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Glasgow picked up the potato and you know what, we'll make chips with this.
Speaker 3: I feel like Victoria in this scenario is like, you know how like in every friendship group there's someone who is the most flaky and just kind of counsels at the last minute when you've bought a group dinner at a particularly nice restaurant.
Speaker 1: One and so somebody else might step in as Glasgow did and said okay, we'll do it, but not at that really nice restaurant. We're going to do it at the Byo.
Speaker 3: Which just seems so Scottish of them, right.
Speaker 1: I don't say that in any way to critique Glasgow, but the whole thing is that they said we're going to do it, but cut price.
Speaker 3: I love it, yep.
Speaker 1: So a reduced number of events and a new model with a reduced number of events, a shorter period of time and basically with the fewer bells. It's so great.
Speaker 3: Glasgow like stepping up like that.
Speaker 1: Because they'd done it back in I think twenty thirteen, and so they had the infrastructure in place and they were like, we can do it. But given that we're on a time just.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, maybe we're not going to put up a lot of decorations. Maybe there'll be like a set menu for the table as opposed to ordering the car.
Speaker 1: It was very much like that. Still, so Channel seven had the rights and they had it on stream. You could do catch up as well, because obviously the time difference has been a problem, but still take up hasn't been huge.
Speaker 3: That's because trying to watch it on Channel seven as I did, it was very complicated.
Speaker 4: You couldn't.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to watch them swimming and maybe a little bit of weightlifting to get some inspos from my midlife.
Speaker 1: Weightlifting weight program.
Speaker 3: I will say I really loved how the Power Games and the non Power Games events were mixed up.
Speaker 1: Together, all happening at once.
Speaker 3: Which was awesome because I was watching it with kids and it was just like they're all in there together, and I just thought it was a great idea to do that. I don't know if that was a Glasgow innovation.
Speaker 1: I think it was, and I think that's a model that would should be repeated. So in the end, it's been very good for Australian that we've won lots, but the ratings were down quite considerably.
Speaker 2: Actually feel very sad and very un Australian and I think we should repent.
Speaker 1: We should repair.
Speaker 3: Does that mean that next time you're actually gonna watch one.
Speaker 1: Particularly for the swimmers, because obviously we always do really well in the swimming and swimmers, unlike the footballers who we all just celebrated at the World Cup, they don't get to do it every week on a world stage and get paid millions and millions of dollars like Ronaldo and Messy and Ballyund and all those guys. So anyway, apologies to the Commonwealth Games for not bringing you updates. I'm sorry, but the most important thing, Delta smashed it. There you go, did she? Okay? Good?
Speaker 2: Good, good love that Ariana Grande is taking a break. In an exclusive with People magazine, a representative from her team put out a statement saying Ariana will be taking a step back from visibility after she completes the Eternal Sunshine Tour. She looks forward to finishing the tour and ending it on a high note, both healthily and happily, and then taking a much deserved break from public facing work and appearances, which has led to endless ongoing public scrutiny. So a few days before this statement was made, Ariana released a music video to her song Petal.
Speaker 1: Have you watched the music video? I have watched it. I really like It's a very.
Speaker 2: Like artistic storytelling music video. She's portrayed as a woman who's going to all of these acting auditions and in the men that she's auditioning for keep rejecting her, and they were telling her we want the old Ariana, and then she gets a chainsaw and murder them.
Speaker 3: It made me clutch my pearls.
Speaker 1: A bit gonna murdering or the thinness the murdering very violent.
Speaker 2: So on this video, when you look on YouTube, the most popular comments have nothing to do with the video. Instead, they read, it's not about wanting the old Ariana back, it's about wanting her to be healthy. At this point, I'm judging her team, friends and family. This is insane. Who's going to tell her we miss her being healthy looking and not the old music. We're living in a black mirror episode. So that's in reference to her weight.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Yes, we talked about this on I think a subs episode with me, didn't we a while ago when she when the tour first started and the visuals were being released from the tour. It's not really a question of whether or not she looks very very thin. She looks very very thin. The debate that erupted is whether or not it was okay to kind of say that, And the discussion that we had at the time was whether it was a help My point was maybe it's not. Maybe it's okay to say that, but is it helpful to say that, Like, what are we supposed to do with that? Or is it just an excuse to sit around and say shit about a woman's body. But the sentiment that you've just described in cap in that comment is one that was also made publicly, very recently after the pedal video by people like Jamila Jamil and Charlie Howard, who are both sort of body positive advocates. I guess you could say just saying this is so grossly irresponsible to be celebrating this this level of thinness, and I guess in the question of what are we supposed to do with that, the idea is maybe pressure her people into doing what they've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is taking her way from public facing roles. The Eternal Sunshine tour finishes on the first of September. I think she has a few more concerts, but there have been things that she's completely canceled, Like she after this tour, she was going back to Broadway to do a show with Jonathan Bailey in London, and that's been canceled, so she's not doing that anymore. But what was really interesting is all the comments from her team about what's going to be happening and her performing. There was another source I told People magazine she performs a very physical show and there's a lot of athleticism involved, she performs healthily and successfully at a very high level night after night. I think using the word healthily for all of these sources from her team is very telling in what they are also trying to address the scrutiny and what everyone was saying about her body.
Speaker 3: Has the tour been broadly a success? Because there's such an interesting dynamic right now right between basically Taylor Swift and every other artist is finding that it's impossible to get bums on seats for their tours. Has her tour been broadly a success?
Speaker 2: Ther tour has been very successful. She isn't in like the massive, biggest stadiums like a Taylor Swift, but it's been very successful. And everything I've seen on TikTok, and I don't know if this is my algorithm in particular, are all clips of her tour and people very excited to be there, praising her work, saying they're so glad she's back on stage, even showing her running across stage and showing that what her sources are saying that she is performing really really well. And I think it's also about everyone enjoying her old music and very excited for her after wicked putting out new music, that there is a huge part of a fan base that aren't talking about her body in the way that other people are.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, maybe not fans so much. What's interesting about that statement to me is that it almost it's saying, look, she's fine, but all of you talking about her is what she needs to take a break. That's what the work of saying Healthily twice is doing, and saying she's not got any problems, but you are making problems for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly what they're saying. It's become the conversation around her body has got to a pitch and a level that she cannot be put in public like in the way that this video, you know, the Pedal video did without everybody just exploding about it. Charlie Howard, her comments, for example, were, I think it's absolutely appalling from both a moral and capitalistic standpoint to have released these videos and an album when this person needs psychiatric help and hospitalization.
Speaker 3: Who's Charlie Howard?
Speaker 1: So she's a body positivity activist And Jamila Jamil said something very similar. She said her team are thoroughly irresponsible for not guiding her away from this deeply damaging image. For her young fans to see so glamorized. It's so interesting because and this is what we discussed last time, is that there's an element of this kind of commentary that I find very concerned, trolly, very much like we want to talk about your body, but we want to dress it up as a way that we're really really worried about you. But then the flip side to that argument is what Jamille is saying there, that it's irresponsible to celebrate and idolize somebody so thin. Yeah, it's really complicated because I wonder it's being sort of heralded a little bit, the fact that she her team have released this statement saying she's stepping back. It's being sort of heralded as a good thing by those in that we're worried about her camp, right? Is that good? She's going to get the help she needs. But the language of the statement, as you've just pointed out, Amelia, is more like, you guys have made us do this, and can you bully someone into getting help? And inverted commas experts would say no, you can't.
Speaker 3: Well, and the other thing to mention here is that the message of the pedal video, there's a lot of anger in that video. Obviously she literally gets out the chainsaw. But I think that one message you can take from that video is that she is angry at her fans, or at least the public generally, because as mentioned, there's a moment in the video where these kind of entertainment haunt shows say we want the old you, and she's saying in that video, I've changed and you can't deal with it, which is similar to what the statement is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's I mean, she's made public statements in the past, because the commentary about her body has been going on for years obviously reached a sort of fever pitch around Wicked and then again around this tour. But she's come out before and said just stop it, stop talking about it. It's not helpful, it's not healthy. It feels like the discourse has just gotten has just overtaken that, as well as.
Speaker 2: The timing of the statement, like knowing that the statement has come out here in early August and the tour finishes early September, so there's still a whole month of her being in the public, and from the footages I've seen of her tour so far, they also seem very deeply emotional, like there's parts where she's like crying and she's overcome with emotion and she's so happy to be there and she can't believe so many people have come to watch her. And I think this like it if you are attending a concert between now until it ends, I feel like you would feel really sad, Like it's just going to be a very sad concert because of knowing what's going to happen after, where she's going to leave the spotlight and you won't see her again. So I don't know if it's like her team using the time we have left with her unquote left with her as a way to kind of make people feel really bad for having all of this public scrutiny about her.
Speaker 3: And also, of course the concerts are always going to be overlaid with emotion for her because of what she and everyone who went to see her in Manchester went through. And I think whenever we talk about Ariana Grande, it's kind of strange to me that we don't always mention that enormous traumatic event that happened to her and her fans yea, and how that must be informing that doesn't just go away, the memory of what happened to her.
Speaker 1: Then twenty seventeen, it was a terrorist attack on her arena performance in Manchester that killed twenty two of her fans, and then the following year her longtime boyfriend on off boyfriend died of a drug overdose. She is like a She's become a sort of symbol of resilience, a little bit tragedy tinged, as many of the divas always are in a way, you know, And when I say diva there, I literally mean a singing diva, not a you know, she's being a diva often are, and she has become that sort of symbol. I just I find it so interesting because objectively you can't look at her and think she looks healthy. But then on the other hand, I really push against the idea that we really know what's going on with somebody and whether or not they have, as Jamille is suggesting, as Charlie Howard is suggesting, a really serious mental health condition. You can't diagnose that from the out.
Speaker 3: But do you think that, and do you think that the Jamila's and the Charlie's of the world are going to feel like, okay, fine, A to your earlier point, Holly, you've done what we asked you to do. All we wanted you to do is take some time off, stop making money off your pain, and go away for a bit. I mean, do you think they feel vindicated.
Speaker 1: I think they will feel vindicated because I think that, as I say, the sort of the public service element of this discussion. So interestingly, Jamala Jaimil said, how talking about this is a bit of a trolley problem. You know, the trolley The trolley dilemma is the idea that if a runaway tram was running towards people and you could pull a lever, that it would only hit one or it would hit ten. Would you pull the lever right? That's the idea of the trolley problem, And Jamila Jamil says the shrinking pop star situation is something of a trolley problem. If we comment on her body, we could harm her mental health, which would be awful, and nobody wants that. If we don't comment on her body, we run the risk of normalizing that image to hundreds of millions of teenage girls, kids, and even impressionable adults consuming her. So I guess they would say that we've managed to raise the discourse to a level where she had to address it and it had to be addressed. A lot of people have said, it's her team, this is so cynical. They're making money from her. But that assumes a lot of bad will and ill will on behalf of her family, her team, her friends, which is probably unfairly placed. But I think that yes, these commentators would see this as a positive step to your point, though, em there's a month to go between now and then, and I would not want to be Ariana Grande with this much scrutiny on every single thing you do at all.
Speaker 3: It's curious timing for sure. After the break, are you a sale or an anchor? John Cena is a delightful man. You probably don't even know how you know him. He's been in a few movies. He was in train Wreck, he was a merman in Barbie. He had an illustrious wrestling career. No one for an internet meme. You can't see me bring you with anyone.
Speaker 2: He's very into big action movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen him in a movie except for Barbie, but I've seen him in a million means.
Speaker 3: He's got great energy. He just seems like a good dude. Anyway. He was recently on Amy Poehler's Good Hang, and he put forward a theory about how it's about the energy you put out in the world and how you relate to other people, and he said that everyone is either an anchor or a sale. I'm going to play two clips from their conversation. In the first clip, he's talking about his hometown called West Newbury. It's a town in New England, and that's a region in the US no one for its straight talk. They don't sort of beat around the bush there. And then in the second clip, he's talking about his friendship with Paula Pell, who was a comedian with whom he appeared in the movie Sisters.
Speaker 4: Because my brothers are all hitting that like late forties, approaching the half century now, and we all have wisdom of like, man, it's kind of a shitty mindset if somebody's like, hey, that's life and you're like, it's taken forever.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's also West Newbery totally.
Speaker 4: And man, as beautiful as the landscape is, sometimes there's a lot more anchors than sales over there.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's so great about Paula What do you like about her?
Speaker 4: I like her, her perspective. I love her courage, man, Like, I just like that energy. I like, again I say anchors and sales, she's a sale, yeah, you know, like always curious, always creative, off the wall. Yeah, I just know. I know any idea is going to have like that whimsy, that magic in it. Yeah, And I want to be with those people.
Speaker 3: So what I think is interesting here I think I kind of disagree with John Seyer a little bit because what Hayes seems to be saying is that anchors are always bad. They're always dragging you down. I guess literally, they're always negative and they're kind of curmudgeonally. And then sales are just people you always want to be around because they're always propelling you forward and encouraging you. But I think it's a bit more complicated than that, because I don't know a lot about boats. And I asked you if you knew anything about sailing before this, and you told me that you knew everything about sailing from the Odyssey.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But my understanding is that boats require both anchors and sales to function.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So true.
Speaker 2: So I look this up and on AI and the AI told me, so sail catches the wind embraces change and move towards new horizons. Anchors hold firmly against storms, provide safety and prevents drifting.
Speaker 3: Did you type into AI what is an anchor and what is a saiale? Because I think that's one of those moments where the AI is just like these humans, I can't wait to replace them too much.
Speaker 2: And I was probably like, she really loves the Odyssey, because what I will say was the Odyssey is that they had a lot of sails and they needed some because they've gone to all the wrong islands.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting. So his reading of this is that anchor is trying to drag you down hold. Now, successful Hollywood people are always telling this story. I had to leave my hometown because everyone in my hometown was just telling me work in the local store. You'll be going exactly I'm about to say. So people love that story. They're like, I had to leave that place because I needed to go to a place of possibility. I could tell my story that way. I grew up in the north of England where it rains all the time and peoples, as famously talked about on the pod our slogan, is it's the hope that kills you. You should always expect either the worst or just more of the same. Really, it's probably better to just not go outside because you're gonna get wet right now. That would be an unfair characterization of my hometown, which is actually a bed of much creativity. But I get it. I get that idea. If you've pulled away from that and gone to sunny California to seek your fortune or sunny Sydney to seek your fortune, you're like, I had to get away from those people. But I agree with you that actually it's much more complicated than that. You need a bit of both, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's like, here's an illustration of why you need both. You know, sometimes you'll go shopping with a friend and you'll put on something that looks objectively terrible. But I'm a little bit guilty of this. I get excited by shopping. Maybe I get a bit over excited. Maybe I egg people on a little bit just because it's fun. And maybe you kind of want an anchor in those situations instead of the sale. You want someone who's like, those those stripes are doing you no favors, you know, like, rather than someone who just tells you, yeah, I just sorry, we do that.
Speaker 1: I'm just That's why I said, stripe, I love that. To keep it in.
Speaker 3: I don't want it, okay, Anyway, I was not talking about you there.
Speaker 1: I was looking at for people who were just listening and not watching this. They're both wearing stripes, and.
Speaker 3: Am your stripes look so nice? For the records? You so much? So you sometimes don't You don't want someone to ex you on. You want someone who tells you the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a sale is the one saying by the stripe is like try spots? Is that the idea?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So? I think in relationships sometimes you need a bit of grounding energy, you need a bit of honesty. Maybe. Look, I sometimes dream up these crazy plans that I should not execute, and I go to friends who I know are gonna give me a little bit of a reality check on it.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I think I'm a sale professionally, but an anchor person.
Speaker 1: How do you mean?
Speaker 2: I think when I'm looking at work, I see myself as a sale because I like love doing new things. I don't really like doing the same thing every day. I want to experience new things. I'm up for a challenge. I want to just like travel the world in terms of work, whereas in my personal life, I feel like, especially when I look at my my friendships, I feel like I'm an anchor who's friends with a lot of sales. Like I'm the kind of friend I need like stability, I need repetition, I need safety, Like I'm a big believer in like clubs like book club, sports clubs, something that we can do every week for the end of time, because a lot of my friends are very much like, let's get dinner on Monday. And then in my head, I'm like, oh, that means we're going to get dinners on Monday all the time. And they're like, oh no, we're done with Mondays. Let's do something and they're like no, And does that mean you don't like it when your friends change on you? Like so if they decide that they no longer want to a club, book club, or why would you go there or live there or date that person when friends move away? No, you are literally the actor I will follow you.
Speaker 1: Are you an anchor or a sale Amelia?
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the situation and the relationship, right, Like as I mentioned, look, I'll get over excited on a shopping trip for sure, and become a little bit too much of a sale. I think my friends would describe me that way in negative terms in terms of shopping, But I think that in a professional setting, a bit of anchor energy is good, Yeah, just to like ensure people don't get carried away, right exactly. I was very curious about how you classify yourself.
Speaker 1: I don't know what do you tell me?
Speaker 3: You tell me, well, you've obviously got some man cunion anchor about you.
Speaker 1: I do, and I tend to stay in a workplace a long time. I don't flit around, although I have flitted around between jobs in this workplace for a long time, but I've been I do, and I do quite like a routine. But I'm also a very itchy sagittarian in that I hate feeling anchored, like I hate it.
Speaker 3: And you don't like feeling tracked or surveyed, and anchors like a little bit of tracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like feeling tracked or surveyed, and I don't like I don't like everything to be too planned out. I'm the opposite of you in that way that when my friends are like, we need to book that weekend in October. I'm like, whaty no, no, no, no, which country I'll be. I am such a free spirit even though I will be doing exactly what I'm doing now in Octager. So I think that I'm probably both, but I understand the I think I'm probably more of a sale. I think I probably I.
Speaker 2: Think you're an anchor when it's like your own anchor, Like, it can't be someone else's anchor that's impeding on your life. It has to be you put that anchor there yourself and you like that. Oh, we're getting very nautical, John Cena. So wise it's.
Speaker 3: The true crime case, which would be anyone's absolute worst nightmare. And now there is a tragic update. So we've spoken on the show. Incredibly enough, it was six months ago that the US Morning TV and Casavannah Guthrie's eighty four year old mum, Nancy, went missing. She was taken from her bed in Tucson, Arizona. It was middle of the night, and we now know she was taken by at least one masked intruder. Nancy had a bad back and a heart condition, and since then, in that six months, we've basically gotten no real developments on the case. There have been various updates. So, for instance, Savannah returned to host The Today Show on April sixth, and we talked about that, or you talked about that on this show and how hard that must have been for her. And then in the last few days came what I would say is probably the biggest development in the case since she originally went missing, which is that the authorities released two of the notes that were purportedly sent by Nancy's kidnappers, which have not been released to the public, even though they actually came a long time ago. So the first of these notes was an online message that was sent to the local TV state in Tucson on the Monday after she went missing. She went missing on a Sunday. This note was sent on a Monday from an encrypted URL and it began, because again these notes have been released now to the public. Hello Savannah, we have your mother Nancy. It demanded five million US dollars in bitcoin, and it gave them a week to get that money together, and it said that she would be killed. Nancy would be killed if the money was not received in time. That's like straight out of a horror Yeah, I mean, let that just sink in for a minute. But now we know that there was a second note that was sent that Friday. So again goes missing on a Sunday. First ransom note sent on a Monday. Then this second note is sent that Friday. And remember that's a couple of days before the ransom deadline. That's a key piece of information. This note said we never intended to hurt her. We are truly sorry. We did not fully grasp the seriousness of her physical condition and that she had passed away, and they said that she was buried in nature.
Speaker 1: Do the authorities well, I guess the fact they've released them suggests yes, they obviously give full credibility to these.
Speaker 3: Yes they do. I think we are being led to understand that they think these are from the actual kidnappers. And to highlight one detail here which people have been honing in on, the kidnappers sent that second note saying she's died before the deadline for the ransom, in other words, essentially essentially forfeiting their ransom demand, saying, actually she's died. We didn't intend for her to die. And I guess then, therefore releasing Savannah and her family from paying the ransom.
Speaker 2: The second note comes across as like creepily kind, which weirded me out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why. So Savannah released a video message last week. She's been releasing sort of periodic video messages clearly very targeted to the kidnappers, kidnapper or kidnappers all along. Last week she released a video that pep were confused by. In the video, she said, you have tried to do the right thing, and now we ask you to complete this and to give us closure. And obviously everyone thought, what does she mean you've tried to do the right thing. You kidnapped her mother. But now what we understand is she's saying, you told us that she died, you were no longer asking for the ransom. But now what we really need to hear from you is where she is buried.
Speaker 1: Well, it explains obviously why the case kind of went away in a way, because it was all over in a week. It was all over. When we were talking about Savannah recently, Mia was talking about the incredible stoicism of being able to go back to work and what that must feel like to have all this scrutiny and all these questions all the time about what was happening with her mother.
Speaker 3: She knew.
Speaker 1: Not that that means no less, it's more so in many ways. But she knew from the first week what had happened.
Speaker 3: To her first week, what had happened.
Speaker 1: That's so sad, and so it's so illustrative in a way about we have obsession with true crime stories, as if we're all amateur salutes, but we don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: No. Well, and unfortunately in this case, it seems very clear that the authorities don't know what's going on, because that's why they've released both these notes so many months after it happened. They've said they hope that people might be able to pick up on the wording or maybe connect if someone in their life has seemed attached or or has seemed weird lately, that they're hoping that that may lead to a fresh round of leads, because they're out of them.
Speaker 1: Because there have been no leads none. Oh, it's such a sad story. After the break, there is a tradwife, one of the most famous of them all, who wants us to know that we got it all wrong. Nara Smith wants a word friends, she wants a word with us. If you are not familiar with Nara Smith. We have talked about our a few times on the show, but let me play you a little grab of her signature style of content.
Speaker 6: My husband's been craving the most random things lately, but today it was extra weird. When he asked me whether we had top ramen at home, told him, before you go out and grab it, let me just make it for you.
Speaker 1: Now. I just kind of adore her, So picture the fact that what happens then is Nara Smith makes Ramen noodles from scratch, which have to be rested for five hours, so it's not like he wanted it now and he can have it now. And she is wearing while she does that, a black evening gown, and I had to ask fashion expert Amelia Lester what this was? A chain? Yes, a chain, metal and pearl hood, like a sort of shruggy hood, a full face of makeup, and an inscrutable expression. Nara makes these kind of videos where she cooks something almost ridiculous from scratch, not that making rama from scratch is ridiculed, but she makes chewing gum, she makes cheerios, aureos toothpaste from scratch while wearing full evening whear to her twelve plus million TikTok followers and her five million Instagram followers. She is a big deal. Now. You would have also heard us talking about her because she also has been going through something unbelievably difficult lately. She uncharacteristically really sort of posed as herself and told her followers that for the past year, her little daughter, Whimsey, who is the second youngest of her four kids, has been in cancer treatment and she's now in remission, which is why Nara shared the details and why she is now out on the promotional trail because she's got a cookbook coming out right, and she's done what widely believed to be her first long form interview with Alex Cooper on Call Her Daddy. She talks about how the thing that drives her crazy is that everybody thinks because she makes her food from scratch, and that's a thing that she is a trad wife. Along with Ballerina Farm, she's hell up as a poster child for that movement, and she says she has no idea why here she is speaking in her real voice about it. I just want to there's a reference in here to her autoimmune issues. She tells Alex that she started cooking things from scratch and eating nonprocessed food as a result. After her first baby was born when she was just When Nara was just nineteen, she started having lots of autoimmune related flare ups like XMA and different issues. Here she is speaking to Alex in her real voice about why she is not a tradwife.
Speaker 5: A trad wife is a woman who embraces or promotes a traditional model of marriage and family life, where she typically prioritizes being a homemaker and a primary caregiver for kids, takes primary responsibility for cooking, cleaning, and managing the household, supports her husband's role as the primary breadwinner, often values traditional gender roles within marriage. So with that definition in those points and none of that, and we can go through it point by point. I don't prioritize being a homemaker. I'm a working mom, Like sure do. I love cooking because it's my passion and because I kind of have to do it given my autoimmune absolutely primary caregiver for my kids. Now, my husband and I split it fifty to fifty, like when he works, I watch them, When I work, he watches them. And now, given everything that's been going on, we also have helped my moms out. We have someone that helps us with the kids because it's just not doable for me to do it all.
Speaker 1: She says. If you turn the camera around from one of her videos of her wearing her chain mailhood, you would see a chaotic scene of four kids, her husband being there, a messy house, all the usual things, and that she's actually always working. Do we feel like Nara Smith has been done wrong?
Speaker 2: Firstly, I love how she memorized the definition of tradworth.
Speaker 1: Oh she was reading it, Oh, Alex Cooper was saying, and she was like, so, Nara said, I had to look up what a trad wife was and this is what it.
Speaker 2: Is, right, Because I was She's probably gets asked this question all the time. I do kind of feel bad that, like, not because we've kind of like lumped it in with the tradewife, but because she is so upset by it, Like she definitely doesn't want to be a trad wife. And I do think that she did become a casualty in the tradwife movement because she became famous around the same time as like Ballerina Farm.
Speaker 1: And all of that.
Speaker 2: And I think the reason why is because her videos are just very similar to the content we were seeing then. Yes, they are like similar to Ballerina Farm. It's like a woman at her kitchen cooking something from scratch. She's got like a million kids. She always looks good, always looks put together, and we were just so I think it was around the time where we were seeing influences turn into brands and we became obsessed with wanting to put terms on these things. So we came up with a term trad wife, and we were like, Ballerina Farm, yup, you go in there, you go in there, you do cooking videos, you go in there, Nara Smith, you go in there. And now we're like, we have this big term for all of them that we can just group them together and then just use them as a group to say whether they're good or bad, or they do this or don't do this. And she's just fallen into that group. And she was like, no, get me out of the group. You see me as I can own my own person.
Speaker 3: But being in the group has made her a lot of money. Like that's the thing. I think She's flirting with the appearance of a trad wife, but now wanting to distance herself from it, and I think that's a little bit like wanting your cake and eating it too.
Speaker 1: I think I've always argued that Nara Smith is not a trad wife because if you watch her content is so obviously satirical, Like it is so obviously there to be humorous and weird. Like, really, no one is suggesting that you really make chewing gum from scratch while wearing cature like she is. It's entertainment, But.
Speaker 3: You mean you're putting her in the same categories as Celeste Barber In other words.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to Satirical might not be the right word in that it's played for humor, but it's entertainment. This is my thing about trad wives being the term that's thrown around for any woman who cooks dinner. Right, there are actual, real tradwives, and they're defining characteristic. Really is that they are. They are telling you how to live. They will, they have an agenda, and they're feeding it to you. They are telling you that women have been sold a lie by feminism, that traditional family roles are the secret to your happiness, that terrible mothers leave their children in daycare. They exist. We've got plenty of them here in Australia. I see their content all the time. Not every woman who cooks dinner on the internet is that person what a Nara Smith has done. She's a model. She's maybe very deliberately, maybe or most accidentally, stumbled across a winning formula and she created a persona around it, which is this soft speaking woman who's making aureos from scratch and chewing come from scratch and Nando's from scratch. But she's not telling you she's not got a like a political or no, she doesn't have a political agenda. This is just entertainment. And I think think that what happens is well two things. I think I think one of them is as women, and we've talked about this many times, even to almost two decades into social media, we are almost incapable of watching a woman do anything without seeing it as some kind of judgment or instruction. So we're so primed to feel judged and guilty and insecure that we're like, well, Narasmith makes her own chewing gum while wearing Chaparelli, Like, clearly I'm doing life wrong when that's not what Narasmith is doing. But the other interesting point to this to me is she became massive very quickly, so a huge bread We're making all kinds of brand deals. She does lots of sponkn Now she's her cookbook is going to be enormous. You know, it would have been a bidding war. It's been years in the making. She actually admits that she had never read a cookbook before she got the deal to make one, and her publisher had to be like, so this is how a cookbook works. Let's remember Narrosmith is twenty four years right. She goes into this interview with Alex Cooper saying that you know, she's been working so hard because she has to keep feeding the beast, the social media beast, to keep the dollars coming in. She says that her and lucky husband's model too, are kind of like joint breadwinners. After her last baby, she was incredibly burnt out and had a massive crash in an anxiety, terrible postnatal anxiety. And so really she's a girl. She's that other archetype that we like to grab onto. She's like overworked, burnt out girl boss. And yet because she makes her content in the home where like, oh no, tradwives are all about the soft life and the comfort, and that's not been it at all, and I kind of feel that that's more on us than it is on her.
Speaker 3: Now, look, you've actually totally won me over to this. I had never thought of her as like the Celeste Barber of tradwives, but maybe that's exactly what she's doing.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's suggesting anyone actually makes c cerios.
Speaker 3: And I think to sort of prove your point, she chooses to go and Call her Daddy. Now, like that's one of the biggest podcasts in the world. I think anyone with a book to promote wants to go and call her Daddy. But there is a huge ecosystem of right wing media in the US that she could plug into if she did want to push a particular political agenda, and she chose to go not on the right wing media Ferris Wheel, but instead on Call Her Daddy, which does not have the political agenda of tradwives.
Speaker 2: Which is what is kind of confusing to me, because, like you said, whole like you see her videos as entertainment, but there will be like a majority of her audience who thinks she is a trad wife who are following her because she embodies what they think the same values as themselves. So by doing the opposite and saying I am not this, doesn't that just like push her away from all of those people who followed her originally.
Speaker 1: I think that the tradwife thing was thrust upon her. And to your point, Amelia, has it been helpful? Yes, I reckon because it's been one of the biggest trends on social media of the past few year even but a lot of people who watch tradwive content, myself included, are not necessarily tradwives. I just find it really interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, and the social media platforms know that rage bait keeps people engaged like nothing else.
Speaker 1: And so she knows all that. Has she had played the attention economy, Yes, but I think that we Ballerina farm who's slightly different, but she both of these women are now moguls. Basically, they're both run a business. They are the main product, and what they make and what they put out to the world are the main products. But because they're women, and because they're making domestic content, as in food, you know that every woman has to cook to a point, every parent has to cook to a point. All of those things we immediately put them in a certain instructive basket.
Speaker 3: But Ballerina Farm is different. I think Ballerina Farm is kind of aspirational in a way that I think your point here is so true and interesting. I hadn't thought about it that she's that Nara is doing satirical content. Ballerina Farm is not satyrian. No, there's no like wink wink either.
Speaker 1: But look, I think she doesn't like the tradwive term either, because the key ingredient to a tradwife really is you're submissive. That's the key ingredient is my husband rules the house, and there's a whole lot of beliefs and agenda that goes with that. And Hannah Nielman also does not agree with that statement. Now some people do. Infamously, when a journalist went out there to do a profile, she very much wrote that in terms of I think he's in charge. You know, we've seen that phenomena has become so big. There are books about it now, infamous Yesteryear. But whether or not they're just actually very savvy business women who've chosen this as their arena to play in. I think it's really interesting because I think that Anara Smith, who as she says, I'm a busy working mom who's actually burnt out and needs a break. Is a really interesting viewpoint what we think of tradwives as we think, oh, they're just frolicking around in the country. She doesn't even live in the country, doesn't she. And she travels all the time, she's always on a plane, and she's, you know, making big deals with every like. She's not that, but we've just kind of decided it for her. It's really interesting. I think we should all maybe accept particularly on TikTok, we're literally just like watching Telly, right, We're just watching and this is the Nara Smith Show. And on the Nara Smith Show, she wears ridiculous clothes while making ridiculous food, and it's funny and entertaining, and there's something very soothing about her voice. She's not telling us that we should all be making chewing gum, although I do believe there is a recipe for chewing gum in the court So delicious.
Speaker 3: So there are two things that people on the internet don't like about me. I'll tell you what they are.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 3: I'm just sharing facts I agree with them. But these are the two things that people have identified as problematic about me. The first is my voice, which I can't do anything about.
Speaker 1: None of us can. I thought everyone liked your voice.
Speaker 7: I'm just sharing the hot takes about what your voice. They say, I'm nasally, They say I am like wet cardboard, and also like I've just risen from the grave, which given the night's sleep I had last night, is not completely untrue.
Speaker 3: So the second thing they say about me, which I actually do think is sort of fair, is that I don't have any sense of personal style. And this I will own because I am very interested in fashion. As at Ladders know, I am this show's fashion correspondent, but I do it because I'm interested in it. I am not pretending that I'm any kind of expert to this point. I went to see an expert last week about fashion because I don't know anything about it. I needed to learn some more, so I went to see a color expert. Then I'll go and see a voice coach after that.
Speaker 1: I think, I think you're the only one who does homework for show.
Speaker 3: You saw the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: I watch a lot of Nara Smith videos.
Speaker 3: And you also asked what the difference was between a sale and anncas So whatice that? So there are two things I from the color expert that I wanted to share today. The first is sixty thirty ten. This is a rule of how you put color together. Because we're not doing the like various shades of Latain cappuccino anymore. You know the neutrals, the Cutaushian neutrals that dominated for so long we're doing color. There's enough depressing stuff happening in the world. We have to uplift he very bad in beige, very bad. Most people do. This color expert was like, put on a bright color that is right for you, and you can wear less makeup and you just look happier and more cheery and like you had a good night.
Speaker 1: If it's this on the.
Speaker 3: Right for you.
Speaker 2: Because I find color is sometimes a bit intimidated, it's very intimidating.
Speaker 3: But this is a rule about how you put color together. Sixty thirty ten. So sixty percent of your outfit should be one color, thirty percent should be another color, and ten percent should be another color. So three colors. She did say that as you get more advanced in fashion, you can do five colors, and then you can do nine colors.
Speaker 1: But that's like, that's me. I'd colors like fifteen colors up to that level, but for us, it's three. Got it.
Speaker 3: And what I found really revolutionary about that is that I think I sort of assumed that it was more fifty to fifty, Like I'll aim for two colors, and I'll make one my top and one my pants. But no, sixty thirty ten, So tell me what that would mean.
Speaker 1: So that would mean my pants are one color and my shirt is another color.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what it means. So I went home and I tried to put an outfit together based on sixty thirty ten. I'm wearing a pair of really bright red pants that I've struggled to know what to pair them with, And so I put the bright red pants with a pink jumper and then with a coat that was a checked pattern that had red in It had a bit of a blighting outfit, and it totally worked, even though it shouldn't have. And I would never have thought about it beforehand. Because that brings me to the second point she made. It's about how to wear prints. When you wear a print, look for the color that is the least obvious color in the print. And then that's your ten. Bring out that as your ten. So, for instance, Holly is wearing a lovely shirt today that's got a floral design and the main colors are pink and cream, and it's a gray shirt, but there's a tiny little bit of mustard in there, and she would say, bring out the mustard.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: This sounds tricky but important because it is interesting. Amelia walked into the meeting today and we all just exclaimed about outfit. And you know, this is a supportive workplace. We often tell each other that we look nice. But there was a universal cry of approval. And that's because this.
Speaker 3: People cry so beautiful.
Speaker 1: To do.
Speaker 3: And I said, this is just Monday for me.
Speaker 1: It's math, That's what it is.
Speaker 3: It's just math sixty thirty ten, forget fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: All right, we need some examples of this. That's so good because the last time we did colour rules, Amelia, was when we all got our colors done. And I can't I can't make my head work with it. I think I've got some weird color thing going on, because you do, I don't understand me. I was trying to explain to me the difference between a warm tone and a cool about your veins. I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: It's like the undertone of the color that you're looking at warm cool that I would say was cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. I don't understand anyway. But also I'm a spring, but I don't like pink, so I'm right anyway, So this is very healthy color problems of this whole podcast.
Speaker 3: Some how very you that someone sits like type past your color is spring, and you're like, I'm a sale. I'm not accepting it.
Speaker 1: True, I don't like I don't like rules. I'm not having that anyway. Out Louders tell us, we'd love to know how you're got to apply it's sixty years please.
Speaker 3: It's actually really fun because then you get to make all new outfits that you would never have left.
Speaker 1: Let's have a bit of color therapy in the group. That would be great anyway. That is all we have time for this Monday. Out Louders, thank you for being here with us. As always, we'll be back in your ears tomorrow. Bye. Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.