Speaker 1: You're listening to i'mum with mea podcast. Hi, I'm a Shiny Dante and welcome to him. But are you happy? Do you ever feel a sense of dread when you're added to yet another group chat? What's meant to make communication easier can often feel exhausting. Between the constant notifications, endless message threads, and multiple conversations happening at once, group chats can quickly become overwhelming. It's hard to know what's important, what can wait, and whether you're being rude if you don't reply. And while they're designed to keep us connected, they can also create a surprising amount of mental fatigue. There's the pressure to always be available, to keep up, and to constantly make tiny decisions like do I reply?
Speaker 2: Can I mute?
Speaker 3: Without feeling guilty?
Speaker 1: In this episode, I speak with Nearly Rose batter Stuff, gen Z specialist and award winning founder of youth mental health charity all Kind about why group chats can feel so draining and what we can actually do about it. We talk about what we lose when so much of our communication and lose from face to face conversations to digital ones, the pressure to always be on, and some practical ways to make our relationship with group chats feel a little less overwhelming. Here's our conversation. Really welcome to but are you happy? I am very excited to dive into this topic with you today.
Speaker 3: Me Tooshannie, I'm so happy to be here with you.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting, right because I feel like with group chats it is so niche, yet it is so relatable, and I think we need more airtime to talk about it. Hence why we're going to be talking about it today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely niche to our generation, but a very very real experience that I think we should unpack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And I'm actually really curious for you. What are you like in group chats?
Speaker 3: I'm a bit of a ghost, to be honest. I yeah, because I'm on my phone so much for work, I see notifications as all the same thing, unless it's like a phone call from my mum or my partner that's kind of the only outlier, or you know, my closest friends that kind of thing, or a one on one text from one of those above people. But if I'm in a group chat, you know, from three people all the way to like ten people, which I don't really have that many groups of friends to be honest, but I see them as part of my Slack notifications, my emails, Instagram, dms, which having kind of a business profile means that it's not really just for friendship. So I group them all together in my brain, and to me, it is admin. Like at its core, it is admin except for those kind of one on ones and those phone calls. It's just it's I find it so difficult, and therefore I become a bit of a ghoster, to be honest, what about.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, I love the archetype of the ghost. I think we've got one. I feel like I am the lurker, so like I'm really I am really shit with group chats, Like I get really overwhelmed. And that's why I'm like really excited to talk about it, because I feel like I'm the type of person. So you know, I might have a lot of group chats going on WhatsApp and then I will like hover over it when I see there's a notification, but I don't click in because I don't want people to see that I've seen it and haven't replied yet. Yeah, so I'm already overthinking everything. And then I go the other way where like I want to take a step back. So that's that's my archetype. I got the ghoster and the lurker.
Speaker 3: Oh it's so hard. I've also heard of people who, you know, get so overwhelmed by these things, and you know, maybe they have Like this particular anecdote I heard she had multiple kids, she has running a business, and she's trying to keep up with, you know, this group chat of all of her kind of like high school friends or whatever. And she also had ADHD, So it's like just a recipe for disaster. And I don't even think you need to have neurodiversity or kids to experience this sort of challenge with group chats. I think it is just at its baseline overwhelming, and some people are better at diving into that than others. But she kind of got to the point where she was missing kind of like core updates in the group that weren't just like sharing, you know, about pop culture or memes. It was like, oh, no, like my kid is in hospital because he broke his leg, and she's missing these things. And then she's feeling this like intense guilt for not keeping up in the lives of the people that she cares about because it's wrapped up in this constant like asynchronous pinging notification situation, and so her friends were like, Okay, you know what, Like we understand that, like you've got a lot on your brain works a bit differently, So we're just going to create another channel called like key life updates for you in particular, so you don't miss anything, but you can also stay in the other one and you can dive in when it suits you. But like, we don't expect you to like trawl through hundreds of messages, you know, if you're just looking for those key updates.
Speaker 2: I really love that. That sounds like a healthy group chat.
Speaker 3: I know, and it makes sense because yeah, not everyone's brains work the same way or have the same capacity to be constantly across, you know, many conversations in one y.
Speaker 2: It's so hard.
Speaker 1: It is really hard, and it gets me thinking a lot about like why do you think group chats have gone from this space of fun and connection to I guess, well, for some people pretty stressful.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's this constant like social hype of vigilance. Right, like you were explaining before, this overthinking, you're constantly having to not just keep up with the constant influx and the quantity of messages, but you're constantly having to like tone read, you're analyzing the social situation, the energy. You're then self editing as well, and like by the time you've come up with what you deem to be an appropriate response with the appropriate emojis, or you're trying to drop like a really funny response, like my love language is definitely human, Like I'm at my best when like me and a couple of friends are just like firing off, you know, different reels that we found or memes like around the same kind of topic, and it's just like this pure kind of joy. But that might be like ten minutes out of my night as opposed to like this prolonged, evergreen conversation. But yeah, if you're constantly self editing and kind of only perfecting your message to what you deem to be appropriate, you're kind of like already missing maybe two topics, Like you're too late, you know what I mean. Like it's so it's so hard to keep up, and it's so hard to reserve all of that brain energy on top of your work. Maybe you're a parent, maybe you've got other things going on, a chronic illness, whatever, it is, like it just makes complete sense to me as someone who you know, works in mental health and the conversations that you have all the time on this podcast, like it would make sense to you. And I just hope that people listening, particularly women who are constantly overburdened with the mental load of running. Maybe it's a household, maybe it's a business, maybe it's both, maybe it's something completely different. Taking care of your elderly parents were constantly overburdened, and we know that we're taking on like nine more hours per week of unpaid labor, Like it just makes complete sense. So I really want people to understand that it's not just a personal failure. It's like something that our brains were never ever designed to take on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 1: I mean, like you think about it, it's like thousands and thousands of years ago, like they.
Speaker 2: Did not have this issue. No, you're so right.
Speaker 1: We haven't been like our brains haven't been programmed to be in the generation that we're in where we're so hyper connected with the technology and our bodies are breaking down, like it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I guess at the same time, if we do think about that our brains were designed to fear social rejection. So it's like, that's why we care. That's why we care about keeping up and making sure that no one is laughing at our response behind our backs, or no one replying to something that you thought was really funny. Like that plays on you more than you think because of the fact that our brains are designed to fear social rejection, because that used to mean being ostracized from the group and facing death, you know what I mean. So it kind of comes back to like our lizard brains being like, oh wow, like I really do need to participate, not just because of FOMO, but because I have this innate fear of being rejected by the people.
Speaker 1: That I care about totally, totally, and sometimes it's even people that you don't even know, like you want.
Speaker 2: To still get a part of it. You're like, wait, what do I care so much?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting too because there's this sense of feeling like we're always on in group chats, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I hate it, oh my gosh, being always on just in general, even if you don't work in social media, you feel like you have to always be on.
Speaker 1: Always beyond it's a lot and exhausting, But what do you think that actually does to someone's stress levels over time.
Speaker 3: I think it's like this chronic adrenaline fatigue of like, you know, one that fear of social rejection. That's kind of why we are always online, either that or fear of being fired because we're not across you know, current events or news or responding to emails when our employers expect us to. It's also part of our identity as well, particularly for young people who are shaping themselves at the same time as they're consuming. You know, Pinterest is absolutely booming with young people, particularly after the social media ban, because it is that kind of like discovery and editing of self. You know, it's like this identity shaping through other people's content around their lives, and it's like the first time we've been able to look further than just a magazine or Hollywood and go, oh, hey, that's kind of who I want to be, I think, Or maybe I could try that on, or that hobby looks really interesting, or I didn't even know that job existed. Like, it's part of this sense of self that is like one and the same. There is no offline and online to young people. It is this one kind of ambient sense of self. It exists all together and it's really really hard to separate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so true. It's also connected now, yeah, too connected.
Speaker 3: What have we done? I don't know how do we go back from this?
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I have this theory where I feel like we're going to go through this massive pendulum swing as a society where it's like, you know, the last I don't know, twenty thirty years, Like there's been this ramp up of technology and social media and everything, and then now I'm noticing whether it's my algorithm or not. This is also variable is people are now getting devices like the brick phone, know all these.
Speaker 2: Things, and that's coming up more so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are annoyed, like I now try to rebel against a system. Like I'm on the train and I'm trying not to look at my phone. I'm looking at them.
Speaker 5: A book, Ohno, I like this, Yeah, I feel really like superior. Yeah well yeah, or a paper book even better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally old school way.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: So why do you think group chats sometimes feel more intense or performative than that one on one connection.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's because you are talking to multiple people at once, and you're self editing for multiple different personalities and lives, and some people just do better with one on one situations in general. Like I fear like group scenarios in person, especially when I don't know everyone, Like that is so hard for me. I'm a socially anxious person and I find that really difficult. But even so, at least when you're in person with these people, you get feedback in real time, you get body language, you get a sense of tone, you can move around the space. You're not like trapped. You don't feel this sense of like that you owe anyone anything. You can remove yourself like, it's just how humans have always connected with each other. That's like, you know, dog downa stage, you will talk all about like oxytocin and the dopamine involved in that human connection and being side by side with someone. Whereas when you are looking at like a group chat that you're catching up on, it feels like you're socially catching up the same way that you might catch up on emails, Like the two are the same thing to your brain, you know what I mean. Like, essentially, you're just going through notifications and you're reading new information the same way as if you're on your Slack channel for work, like it just yeah, unless you have a particularly enjoyable like pop culture event that you're all like weighing in on, and it's like haha, it's light and enjoyable, like if someone's you know, disclosing something really difficult and personal, Like, that's a really hard thing to put into a digital group environment, you know what I mean, Like it's so flattened. There's no nuance. It's so hard to feel like you're saying the right thing. You don't get immediate validation in terms of that eye contact or body language. It's like for people who are socially anxious and you know, find it hard enough to do it in person, Like how is it going to be any easier when we're just like typing data and putting it out into the ether, Like it just it doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting you talk about social anxiety because I definitely can get socially anxious going to events and if there's people I don't know, well, you know, it's a lot. And it gets me thinking about is there such a thing called digital social anxiety? And does that show up in groups, because it sounds like it does.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's any different from social anxiety. I think, like we touched on, the online sense of and the offline are one and the same. You know, like us, we have a public kind of profile on Instagram, we're still us, Like we're still representing our human selves, and so yes, it might be a further extension on one side of us, like it might be further up the spectrum in terms of like polish and credibility and things like that, but it's still at its core, you know, who we are. And that is exactly what it feels like for people on Instagram or Facebook or whatever socials they're on at the moment as young people, because they feel this kind of pressure to curate and edit and so it just, you know, it's not any different that anxiety that they're feeling for their online self is the exact same anxiety they're feeling for their offline self.
Speaker 1: It's hard, it's hard, it's hard, and I definitely feel that because when you especially when I've done like self development programs or courses, you naturally get added into a group chat. So you know, there's that feeling of oh, Okay, there's all of these people I don't know, so I know myself spending a bit more time thinking about my message. And then so like that's self editing piece, like are doing that And then so that's one process, and then you put it into the group and then you're kind of waiting to be like will anyone reply or will anyone like it? And then you're comparing how many likes did I get to other people?
Speaker 2: And then you're just in this whole other voice leave terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone gets a notification exactly like basically, you non consensually signed this social contract by being like plopped into that group that you would participate, that you would validate other people's experiences and opinions, that you would be active and present, because you know, if people feel like you're not present, that maybe you don't value them as much as other things in your life. Like it's like this, Yeah, it's like this social contract that we all unwillingly sign when we enter these spaces, and what that actually means for the emotional and mental labor in real life can be like astronomical when you tie it by thirty group chats like there is no way. I think I have maybe like three four group chats, and a couple of those are family, and like I love receiving photos of my parents' dogs and things like that. So it's like it doesn't feel like work, but man, like it is so exhausting and I often sounds really bad, but I often like let my notifications, like even texts with like you know, three people in a group chat or on Instagram, Like I have a few group chats and things like that, I'll let them pile up till like the end of the week, and then I will literally put on my to do list like clear out notification.
Speaker 4: Organized.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's organized, but it, like we kind of said before, it kind of lumps everyone into the same sense of admin and it's like, okay, cool, now I'll sit down with a cup of tea and I often do it like on my desktop as if I'm like responding to an email because it's faster, like how did we get here?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It's like insane. Yeah, yeah, it's really it does feel like admin. It does feel like a burden. Sometimes it does feel like extra load and extra work on top of what you've already got going on in your life, So I think like we have to really look at ways that we can be like, you know what, like this woman who spoke to her friends and said, you know what, like this is really hard for me, Like my brain finds this really difficult. Can we just do like an updates only kind of situation where I can opt into that and just get like the key headlines instead of having to search for nuance in masses and masses of data and not feel like I'm letting you down. Like people want that sense of like feeling less overwhelmed in terms of the quantity and volume that you have to look through, but they also want that feeling of like I don't want to let you down. I want you to know that I care about you, I value what you have to say, but like I'm struggling right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: It was interesting you mentioned even you talked about burden and it gets me thinking, like do you think people are more driven by fomo or not wanting to come across as rude when they feel this pressure to reply.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on what level of empathy they have, right Also, like if there are people pleaser, I've experienced both myself like I've like, oh, like I wonder what's happening, like you know, and also did my comment that I thought was really funny did it get a lot of reaction? Yeah? Did I make everyone happy? Did I make everyone laugh? And yeah, if there's commentary on something that I'm interested I think At the same time, though, we have to kind of look at like what's the cost of that fomo and not wanting people to feel like you don't value their messages because is that worth more than you intentionally spending a bunch of time like on your device? Are you sacrificing time with your family? Like are you sacrificing time working? Because I think the like the flip side of this conversation is what it looks like for someone in the life of say a Shani, who is constantly on her phone responding to all of these different group chats because you feel a sense of fomo, because you feel a sense of duty to respond to your closest people and the people that you care about, and then these random people in the group project or whoever. It is, like it doesn't really matter, you know, like what's drawing us to that? It's like what is it drawing us away from because I am pretty good about putting my phone down when I want to. Mostly it's like me just like throwing my phone in another room and closing the door at the end of the day because I'm so over stimulated and I'm so over like my hand hurts, because it's like part of my job. I'm just always on it, right, and I find it a little easier in my personal life to close it or like seven pm, put on charge and that's me done for the day. But my partner, on the other hand, like he doesn't use his phone for work at all. He's a health practitioner, so he doesn't go on social media, like he doesn't need that at all, And so when he gets home from work, he's catching up on all of the like AFL conversations and like fantasy football or whatever. He'll probably hate me for outing him, but like my lord does he spend a lot of time in those group chats that are really kicking off, particularly around footy games, which happened like I don't know, three times a week at the moment or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is such a different world for me. I'm like, what is that world?
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, that's all. I love it. Like he's great, Like we talk about you know, like can you just put your phone down and like we'll have dinner. It's not like he's constantly engaged in it, but you do notice him picking it up a lot more around like footy games and key events and things like that, and like I look at it and I'm like, that is just like hectic the amount, like it's ping ping ping ping ping pin pin and he has the phomo. But at the same time, it's like, what is that dragging you away from? You know, like are we trying to have dinner right now? And sometimes he'll be like wait, like there's like one minute left in the game, like everyone's going crazy, and I'm like, okay, cool, cool, cool, that's fine. But like what if like we had kids and they really needed you or yeah, So I think we just have to look at the flip side of it as well, because group chats aren't harmless. They one can make the participant feel like really overwhelmed and like really overburdened for trying to care for everyone in there emotionally and the mental load of responding to everything and making everyone feel validated. But at the same time, What are you missing out on in your real life?
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good reflective question as well, because it's like we only have attention towards one thing, which means we're giving it to somewhere where are we taking it from?
Speaker 3: So I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that reflection.
Speaker 1: So when conversations move from face to face to text, you know we do, and I know you mentioned this before, we start to take out tone and body language. How much do those factors contribute to overthinking and misreading things?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think a lot. Like I don't know too much about body language and things like that and the psychology of that, but I think just like everyone will know what that feels like to have a conversation one on one versus on a think a group chat like that is. Yeah, it's just completely different. So yeah, I think we just have to always come back to that and be like, there there is a reason that it's a lot more taxing to do that on the group chat, because it's costing us a lot more thinking. You know, it's not just innate.
Speaker 1: We have to think about it totally. Yeah, And it's funny because I feel like I'm a very expressive person online so like, I'm the emojis explanation marks xes for the kisses and stuff. So if I get a message back and it's just a straight message yeah K or like no X or maybe one X, I'm ruins your day?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and you're just I'm.
Speaker 1: Left with thinking, oh, did I do something?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: And then I'm just spiraling in this illusion when it has nothing, like there is nothing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, and it's so exhausting.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh wow, okay, this was just this was just me and my overthinking and me feeling insecure.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And everyone has that experience of like having a difficult conversation over text when you knew that you probably shouldn't have but you did it anyway, and then it just like turns to shit and you're like, oh wow, like I really shouldn't have done that. It would have been so much easier in person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: I listened to a podcast of this behavioral specialist and she specializes in body language, and she was saying that our brain is twelve point five times more likely to believe our gestures over our words. Yeah wow, And I was like, that is so interesting but also so powerful to realize how nonverbal communication it's a thing.
Speaker 2: We need that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent, and you don't get any of it.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Group chats, Yeah totally, And I think that's why I probably subconsciously overcompensate. But I'm like, I'm going to give you more explanation marks emojis and yes yeah ha ha ha ha you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which costs two more energy if you were to just do it naturally in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely more of my conversation with Nilly after the break.
Speaker 2: So I feel like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people they have this burden where they need a reply, but they feel exhausted at the same time. What would healthy digital hygiene look like in this particular situation.
Speaker 3: For me personally, I probably feel like I can leave the text or you know, like group chat situation for like a few days, maybe till the weekend, maybe like four days. You know, like I feel like my people in my life they know that that's how my brain works, Like I'm overwhelmed with work and you know, like there's a bit of grace there. But if it was something that was like you're like, I don't want to leave that, Like I want them to know that I have gone their message, I am thinking about them, and I will just text them that I will be like, hey, I'm going to come back to you. I'm just in the middle of like a bunch of stuff right now, and I want to have the time to respond to this properly. And that just buys you more time, but it also means that you're going to be much more present when it does come time to like respond to them, and you can be like, okay, cool, Like I have a bit more space right now, I'm going to be able to think about my response instead of just like firing something off just as a space filler, because I think it's like so easy. There's this poll to like fill that blank space, like as humans were, like, we don't want that uncertainty and that blank space. We want to fill it and we want them to know that we haven't like discarded them as a friend, we don't hate them, like we just want to feel that. But I think as I'm getting older, I'm getting more confident in letting that space exist a bit more. But yeah, if you feel like you do need to, you know, if someone's told you something really hard, like just go to them. Like I got your message, like I'm here for you either like I'll give you a call later or like let me get home and respond to this proble Like that actually makes it sound like you care more. Yeah, So that's what I've been doing a lot recently.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's really helpful. And it's interesting too, because you know, I think a lot of this comes down to setting boundaries and really tuning into you know, what is it that I need, what's going to be in service to myself but also for the group. So how can someone set boundaries in a group chat without worrying that they'll come across as distant or rude?
Speaker 3: I reckon the same thing, right, like, just like really transparent communication, and I think that telling the truth is always the best option, you know, like people get it, and if they don't, then why are you in a group chat with them? Leave? So I mean I actually probably haven't really tried that in a group chat situation, I don't think, because I've been more comfortable letting that space exist because other people fill it, you know. But I think if we go back to the example at the top, where where someone's missing like key life updates, like she had this honest conversation like, hey, like this is really hard for me, guys, Like I'm really battling and it's not because I don't I'm not interested. I'm battling because I care so much that it's actually making me feel so guilty and eating me up inside. Like that's awful to feel like that, and it's helping nobody totally so by just like being honest and like actually being brave enough to be like, hey, guys, like I'm going through a bit at the moment, like I'm here, I'm lurking, but I'll jump in, you know, on the weekend or like when I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I might not be like as cringe as that because that's like a weird thing to type, maybe, but you will do it in your own voice and you'll find a way. But I think that is just more of a win win for you, but also for the people that you're scared of hurting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting too because I think there's a reality where you know you might say the things you'll stand up for yourself, and there is a reality where you may come across as rude or distant to someone else. But I think this is the whole bit around taking responsibility. It's like, well, you're not responsible for that other person's experience right as well, So it is that world of oh okay, cool, this might not come across great, and I've got to learn to be okay with that, which is a lot, you know, especially for the people pleasers out there, as including myself.
Speaker 3: M that's right. I love Rerene Brown's quotes about boundaries. There's something around like boundaries or the distance at which I can love you and me, and you know, setting boundaries more in like this kind of professional setting when we're involved in like lots of you know, conversations and chats and workloads, like the boundaries that you set at work so that you can go home whole. And maybe that's something in there about group chats as well. It's like, look, I need to be whole for my people at home, like that includes me, my dog. You might be single, you might have a partner, you might have a whole family. You need to remain whole, and boundaries are really the only way that you can do that, no matter how hard they are to set.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 1: So do you feel like if a group chat does start to become more tense or negative, do you advise someone to address that head on or just step away.
Speaker 3: I've actually never had that experience before. I probably would just ghost for a bit. To me, Yes, I don't know what I would do if I wanted to leave, Like what would you do? Would you be like, hey, guys, I'm leaving. Would you announce your exit or would you just leave?
Speaker 1: It's funny, right, I had a situation and it wasn't that it was negative or tense. It was just a group I was a part of that started to feel not aligned and I just had a lot going on in my life in that season. And I just sent a message to the group in like hey, like love what we're all like creating here, And I essentially just said I just don't have capacity to be in this group, but if there's anything you need, please let me know when I left. And then I also voice messaged the organizer of the group, and I just because again like tone, I want them to feel my tone. And yeah, and I get it's the whole thing when you've organized a group and you've brought people together.
Speaker 2: So I really understand that.
Speaker 1: So I just sent them a voice message, and I'm like, hey, look, I'm really sorry. Da da da da. But I don't know if they took it that well. They didn't reply, whether they got it, I don't know, but I just I have to be with Okay. This is a massive edge for me because I want everyone to like me. But also it was one of those things where it's like, Okay, am I doing this just because I'm not wanting to come across as rude, or am I actually going to do this to honor where I'm at. So it was a massive moment for me. But the thing that happened that I was scared of happened, and I just had to be okay with that.
Speaker 2: Which is hard.
Speaker 3: I think you did the right thing in the right way. Thank you, And I think that you past a shy yeah yeah says more about them, I guess totally, because I think I would like to think I'm the type of person that would get that voice note and be like power to you, like, thanks for jumping in, totally respect your wanting to leave that to keep your self whole. That's what you know. Someone with empathy and compassion for other people's experiences like they potentially had no idea, what was going on in your life at that time, you know what I mean totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know it's it's okay.
Speaker 3: Your worst fear happened and you survived.
Speaker 2: That's a thing.
Speaker 1: This is the other side of overthinking as well. It's like you overthink all this potential scenarios and then it happens and.
Speaker 3: You're like, it's not that bad.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm still here, I'm safe. I made it.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting and it's funny too because it gets me thinking about in group chats, how conflict I find tends to spiral and it can be hard to resolve versus in real life.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. Yeah. It's like any you know, interpersonal situation, Like I've had fights with like you know, past boyfriends, parents, my best friend over text, and I'm like, this wouldn't happen if we were just maybe even if we got on a phone call as opposed to texting.
Speaker 1: It's not is it harder to resolve over text then.
Speaker 3: The phone thing? Right, because it's so like I don't know, I guess like in person is also immediate, but at least you can like take a breath and be like, you know what I'm feeling this or this is my experience, Whereas when you're with a text, you want to fill that blank space so quickly and like get back to them because it's so uncomfortable to sit with those emotions that come up when conflict arises, particularly with people that you really really care about, and I find it incredibly difficult to sit in like silence. So if like I'm having a fight and doesn't happen that often, like with my mum or my best friend or whatever overtext, like I want to instantly reply because I want that experience to be over as quick as possible. I do not want to see it with those uncomfortable emotions. I absolutely hate it. That is something that I'm working on in therapy because it's not great to not be able to sit with those uncomfory emotions. But yeah, those kind of instantaneous replies mean that you're not really coming at it from like a regulated self. You're coming at it from like a heightened emotional state, and you're not going to come up with your best replies. You're probably not going to be honest. You're probably gonna come from hurt and only make things worse. And it always makes things worse, like it never resolves, and then even if you think it's resolved, you're like, oh, well they put a full stop after that. K. Maybe they're not actually okay, maybe they're still resenting me. Like it doesn't just stop after the conversation is supposedly resolved on paper. It's like, well, I won't know until I see them in person if it's actually resolved, So what's the point. You may as well have just in person anyway, totally at a hug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting too because I remember back when I was doing workshops for teenage girls, like we would talk about social media, and I mean this was before the band and everything like that, but it was this interesting split where people loved communicating online, especially because it gave them space to really think about what they would want to say in response. But it's interesting too because then we're not setting ourselves up well to develop those skills with being in real time and sitting with the uncomfy feelings and still needing to reply. It's interesting, like there's so much nuance to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's good for us to practice having uncomfortable conversations in person, even though it feels really hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is hard.
Speaker 1: I really love the story that you talked about at the beginning about essentially how it sounds like a healthy group chat. And I know, like we've kind of negged a lot about like the you know, the negative impacts of chats, but there is a lot of good to it, right, So I guess my question is, like, what would be some of the green flags of a healthy, supportive group chat.
Speaker 3: Probably taking the group chat offline at times, you know, like how often you're meeting up in real life, because that can be a good measure stick for the depth of that connection, and it also deepens the connection every time that you're able to get together. I think this generation, including us, like we've gotten really good at constant access, right and like visibility, but that doesn't necessarily equate to intimacy and connection. Those two things are different. They can coexist, but it makes it really hard to get that kind of depth because it's just physically impossible for us to get depth with everyone that we access online and in group chats. So I think, like, yeah, a good mans stick for that is like could we meet up all in person like once a month, or like start a book club or something. Because yeah, otherwise it's just I don't know, is it just noise? How close are you to these people? It? Does it fill your cup? Does it make you excited and happy? And I feel like I'm not really part of any group chats that I wouldn't hang out with in real life unless it's maybe like professional like work related or you're in a unique group project or whatever like that stuff's kind of non negotiable. But I'm just like really big at the moment on that, like you said, the pendulum swinging the other way, and yeah, getting offline to gather because I think we've become really really good at being accessible, but we've completely forgotten how to gather in person.
Speaker 4: So true.
Speaker 1: And it feels like as well because I think about that, because I think that's a really good markup, being like let's actually just connect offline. And it's interesting because we are so busy, Like I try to catch up with my friends and it's really hard to coordinate like four calendars. Yeah, it's like we're thinking like months away, and then you get closer to the catch up and then someone has to cancel. So there is that feeling of it's hard to connect to people.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just in my thirties where I'm like it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you're like, you know what, the second best option here is the group chat because it keeps us close, keeps us SYNCD yeah, And I mean like maybe that works really well for you. And then when you do get offline, like it's obviously not a weird thing, it's like, oh my gosh, we finally got our calendars in sync and yay, like this is such an awesome moment. But I think the thing about group chats is that, like it's really hard to make new memories, you know what I mean, It's really easy to catch up. And I feel like we're a bit of a catch up generation, Like we're always just meeting up for coffee or going for a walk, and we're not really making new memories because, like you said, we're tired, we're financially stretched, we're just like overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that's on our plate, and so when we do catch up with someone or a couple of people, it's more just like, Okay, cool, how's your work going, Like did you end up doing that thing? How's your partner? What happened here? Like it's just catch up, but we're not actually making new memories. So it's like, can we go a step beyond the group chat, which is more just like yes, catching up and then the coffee dates, to like what can we do to make new memories so that by the time we've completed this the loop or the circle of our friendship and we come back to the group chat, we have new material to talk about and I love that new photos to share, Like we're going to talk about how funny it was in the pottery class when like that guy's like apron fell off and like whatever, and he wasn't wearing anything underneath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know it is so true.
Speaker 1: It's so true, and it's funny too because I know this is something for me that I've observed with friends or even for myself where it's like we have the offline catch up and we're like, oh my god, that was amazing. It's like in the space between we forget, Yes, how nourishing and healing it is to have those offline connections.
Speaker 3: It feels like a bit of a chill sometimes, like it's easy just stay in one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally after the break. Practical tools to help us feel less drained by group chats. So there's something else I think I want to talk about, because I know we're talking about healthy habits when it comes.
Speaker 4: To group chats.
Speaker 1: How can groups normalize slower replies or even silence without taking it personally.
Speaker 3: I think someone just has to set the tone, yes, to be the one that does that. But I don't think that necessarily means that we have to punish people for those instant replies, because you know, like someone might be breastfeeding and they're on their phone and they're like boom, instant replies. Like that person in that season of their life is going to be a lot more maybe on their phone than someone who's like working full time, you know. So it's just like depends where people are at in their lives, but also like mentally and also how their brain works. Like some people just like to get it off their to do list and be like boom, okay, cool, I've replied. I can tick that off and like yeah, you know, go back to yeah, or I have FOMO and I need to open that and I need to reply because they've seen that I've seen it, So it's yeah, I think we have to just be open to both existing at once and not judging each other for doing either of those options.
Speaker 1: I really like that when you said not judging each other because I think naturally, I know, for me, I can look at the way someone's replying in a group chat, like I feel this subconscious expectation of oh shit, I should reply straight away too, or I feel like, because they're replying fast, I should be replying fast. And it's just we're walking around with these expectations that no one has said. You've actually just created in your mind where I need to show up like this or X has got to think of this. Yeah, and it's just so funny, yeah, exhausting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need to do that anymore.
Speaker 3: No, we really don't. And people are allowed to change as well, you know, like they might be really on their phone for a couple months and then they might be like, I need to just like throw that thing on the other side of the room, and then they're like they ghost for a couple months. But that doesn't mean that they don't like you. That just means that they're doing something different with their time, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And I think that's really the essence of a group chat. The whole point of gathering in a group is that we are all different, Yeah, and it's around celebrating our differences in a way that you know, ensure safety and respect and it meets everyone with where they're at and like there's understanding yeah as well, exactly.
Speaker 3: Like imagine if there was a group tyd of ten people who were all the exact same person and like replied instantly like you just have this pin pink ping, you'd run out of things to talk about. Yeah, Like that would not be a fruitful conversation. That wouldn't be a conversation. That would just be like just data flying around that means nothing has no meaning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: What do you think is some of the red flags that a group chat is becoming more draining or unhealthy?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: I think if it is becoming draining, that is a red flag, right. I think it's just like how does it make you feel? But I don't think that necessarily has to be like okay, call it, get out. It's like how often does it make you feel like that? Maybe it's something that you can change in your own life and you can be like, okay, cool, I'm not going to touch that until like Friday afternoon, when I know I'm going to have space to like respond to all of my notifications, and that change might be enough to make the red flags disappear. Like maybe it's something that like with a couple of lifestyle changes, you can like fix and you can be like, Okay, great, now I can have both. I can have my space and my time and I can also respond to the people I care about and this works really well. But yeah, if it's not something that you can do with a couple of changes on your end, and like there's stuff happening in the group chat in terms of the actual content that's like oh this content is draining, then do what you did and just be like, hey, this is like not like none of this is really serving me. I don't feel good, Like it just doesn't feel good in my tummy, like in my gut. And it's okay to want something different for my time because maybe by not being in this group chat, I would have time to be in a different group chat that would like just fill me up, or I would learn all these new things or connect with these really interesting people that I want to develop more intimacy with. So yeah, we just have to remember that like our time and our energy is a finite resource, Like we cannot just make new time and make new energy. So it's like, how do you want to spend that?
Speaker 4: That's so true, very wise words.
Speaker 3: I love it. I do a lot of overthinking, as you can tell.
Speaker 1: So if you could change the unwritten rules to group chats, like what would you change first?
Speaker 3: I would just scrap the rules altogether. Yeah, you know, it's like you said, we've signed this weird social contract with all these rules, and like who made them? Someone really who had no life, you know, like someone who doesn't understand the intricacies of what it's like to be a human, messy being, you know, who goes through different seasons, maybe all in the space of one month, you know, like when I'm on my period, I don't want to talk to anyone Like that's yeah, it's so many different factors go into how we operate as human beings, let alone into group chats. And at the end of the day, it should be something that is additive to your life in a really positive way, not something that takes over your life or detracts from your life. And I think you just got to have confidence in your empathy as a human bean, your compassion for others, your understanding that no, you know what, I am self aware enough to know that, Like, I'm not trying to hurt anybody. I'm not trying to devout you anyone's participation or conversations. But I, at the same time also really need to respect my finite resources. And I think those two things can be true at once as long as you're surrounded by the right kind of group of people who understand you, and even if they don't know you that well, if you're part of some you know, bigger group like the one you were talking about, like at least they have compassion for other human beings, Like they don't need to know your full story to know that they don't know your full story, you know. So, yeah, that is an ideal world. Of course, you're going to come up with all these like gray areas of like, oh, this is a lot trickier than it being that simple. Yeah, but I think we just have to at the end of the day, like we're all just trying to survive. And so it's not the worst thing in the world if you have to leave a group chat and then the owner of that group chat doesn't respond to you because they're pissed off that you left, Like that's not the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 1: It's really trying to get that perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: It feels so big, doesn't it, especially when you're young, like that your device and your social situations and dynamics are the be all and end all, like, whereas at least you and I now can have that perspective and that self confidence and awareness to be like, no, you know what, it's it's not serving me. And maybe you wouldn't have done that fifteen years ago. Yeah, me neither. So it just would be really nice if we could just like instill that confidence in young women to be like, you have to just keep yourself safe and whole first, you don't owe anything to anyone. You can still be a kind and compassionate person while setting those boundaries.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's so true.
Speaker 1: So do you feel like we know too many people?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that is the case, and it's not normal. No, it's not normal. And like, evolution wise, I don't think we have become these mass data processes like we were never supposed to see this many other villagers. It's like, oh, my goodness, Like we're only supposed to see, like, what two hundred people. We can only remember a certain amount of people's faces and names, their stories. It's too much for us to be processing. Every single day. When we're scrolling on social media, we're seeing people jump into group chats like it is just basically digital and informational overwhelmed. It's too much data.
Speaker 1: So I know that we've focused a lot on friend group chats, but I want to talk about family group chats because you know, technically, I feel there's generational differences there. Oh yeah, and there's also tone and the way that they communicate, like it can get quite.
Speaker 3: You know, challenging, hmm, very challenging. You've got like a difference in pace, Like I feel like my parents don't pick up the phone as much as I would to check notifications. My dad maybe like once a week, as opposed to my mom who's like maybe once a day. No, probably a bit more than that, because I'm the most important person in their life course. But you've also got a difference in sense of humor. They don't understand the gifts and the memes, they don't know how to send photos maybe, And then also as well, like the difference in tone as well, like my dad will respond like k full stop and it's like, oh my god, I would never I would never have the audacity to send anyone that, let alone my daughter. And then when you bring all those dynamics together with that like intergenerational kind of grouping, maybe there's a bit of anticipatory anxiety around like how that generation will react to certain things, whether they're going to have to be filled in once a week when they do look at that group chat. It's just like makes the dynamics a lot more difficult. But that's what we do for the people we love, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Gotta love those dynamic family chats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And imagine like a family argument going down in one of those that would be that would be even harder, that would be brutal.
Speaker 2: Oh dis mute it ghost.
Speaker 1: So how do we stay author and tick online as well as offline?
Speaker 3: I reckon it's just kind of like reading the room similar to being in person. Yes, it's harder, and we've talked about the detriments of that, but kind of thinking like, Okay, well, I'm participating in this social situation with a bunch of different personalities, like how would I behave offline? Would I steal the conversation away to myself and like constantly just talk, or would I give space for other people to contribute their own stories. And then maybe there's like sensitivities too around like different life milestones, Like maybe there's like a pregnancy and someone's going through IVF at the same time, it's like, how do you announce that while also being sensitive to the fact that someone is going through something difficult, Like there's so much nuance there, And I think like as long as you're self aware enough and compassionate enough to like practice ways to do that and maybe like withholding some sort of information maybe or language like just being maybe a little bit more self editing in a good way that can make other people in that group chat feel more comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, whether it's online or offline, everything is building your own awareness. Like there's the like intra personal, like you know, within ourselves, and then there's the inter personal as well, like reading the others being aware of what's going on for the other person. So if I feel like it should be the same, ye, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. And you will get it wrong sometimes mostly in the group chat situation because it's a lot harder to get it right. Yeah, but you can resolve that, like pick up the phone or see them in person and give them a hug or just yeah, really be honest and try and just do what you normally do in real life in terms of reading the situation and caring for the people that you care about.
Speaker 1: And I guess, like my last question would be, there's kind of two types of people listening, right, You've got people who are like owner of group chats and then who are participants in group chats. Like, what's one small habit people could start today to make their group chats feel better and not worse.
Speaker 3: Maybe something I've seen like on socials and I have someone who works with me who does this. They do like a weekly sink where they all send in like a minute long voice note because you get that like tone and emotion and it's not like you're getting them sporadically throughout the week and you've got to drop everything and listen to these voice notes. It's like cool, every Sunday afternoon, we all do a week rap and we share like our highs and our lows, and it can only be like max like sixty seconds or whatever, like a bit of a challenge and we all just listen to each other's kind of run down on where we're at.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like something simple like that. So it's like, okay, cool if at the very least you just jump on on a Sunday afternoon, maybe not even every week, and you just listen to everyone's rundown and you participate by giving yours, Like I feel like that's something I personally would like to do. I love little rituals, Like rituals feel like they develop meaning quicker because it can become like a nice little tradition. There's like some nice little expectations around it in terms of like cool, like we're showing up for this amount of time, like everyone knows their role within that, and it can feel like a deeper presence than if it's just like firing off like random little shorts like snapshots like all week round, Like yes, you might have that as well, but at least you know, like at the end of the week, like cool, I'm saving I'm saving this really funny story that happened at work for my week rap because I need them to hear the emotion in my voice.
Speaker 1: I really love that's it, and I really love how intentional and simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is as well. I really like that.
Speaker 2: Do you want a feel though.
Speaker 1: With the ritual side that it feels like you need to keep up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that could be. That could definitely be something. But I feel like maybe you don't have to do it every week. Maybe it's like just it's a bonus when everyone does more special And.
Speaker 1: I guess in a way, that's another extra tip for anyone that is listening that is an organizer in a chat, being like, cool, these are the expectations, and we understand life happens, should happens. I'm not going to hold you against it. I'm not going to send you a personal homework and being like I haven'tive machine. Yeah yeah, yeah literally, So it's just like everyone needs to relax a little bit more and have a bit more fun.
Speaker 3: Totally. Yeah. It should feel like something you want to participate in or something you have to in an ideal world. Yeah not all the time. Yeah yeah, definitely. Oh my gosh, thank you so much, Millie.
Speaker 1: I've really enjoyed unpacking group chats with you, and I just feel like you are the person to be in the seat to tell us everything about how we can have healthier group chats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, And I just love the idea of like us learning how to gather again. And I think, yes, we can do that to an extent on group chats. But I think like if we can, when we can in the ways that we can, they don't have to be expensive or fancy. They can just be really simple. They can be group ad mid nights or something I run is a social volunteering program where we all just get together and you know, make things and donate things to charities. Like it doesn't have to look like anything fancy, like a restaurant dinner with your girlfriends. It can just be like, oh, let's all go over and clean out your closet together and like laugh about all the old clothes that you know, we've had since we were in high school. Yeah, just togetherness, like practicing togetherness. Like, yes, group chats can be a great place to facilitate that in the absence of being together. At least it's a little bit of togetherness. But like, yeah, when we can and how we can, moving that offline would be would be amazing.
Speaker 4: Going back to the ancient ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, love, it's so ancient. Yeah, but haha. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.