Speaker 1: Hello and welcome, Welcome, Welcome to mom and Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the tenth of August. I'm Holly Waynwright, I'm m Vernon, I'm Amelia Lester and here's what's on our agenda for today. Robots have killed homework and I'm not happy about it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Plus, have you ever been betrayed by a friend and what did you do about it?
Speaker 3: And is the cozy life making you a bit depressed?
Speaker 2: But first, M Vernon, in case you missed it, Zendeia and Tom Holland have gone and married again, so we knew they were married earlier this years, and Deya has been wearing a wedding band on her ring finger. Tom also referred to her as his wife during the Odyssey press talk, and Law wrote the stylist said they that you guys have missed it. It's already happened. The wedding's already happened, That's what Laurache said. But now it's been reported that a few weekends ago they actually had a private wedding celebrat at Beaverbrook Hotel, which is a which is a luxury country house hotel in Surrey, UK.
Speaker 1: So they've had two secret weddings.
Speaker 2: They've had two weddings. What I think has happened is that they listened to our conversation where we said the millennial wedding is over, and they were like, not yet, we have some do.
Speaker 3: There were some lavender sprigs in Mason Jarles at this wedding celebration and other millennial wedding tropes.
Speaker 1: No, because they're the King and Queen of gen Z, aren't they those people? They said it.
Speaker 2: It's been reported it was a private ceremony, still with close family and friends.
Speaker 1: So I so now there are two wedding dresses. I haven't seen. It just seems selfish. I need to talk about them though. Okay, So between them, between Spider Man whatever it's called, Spider Man singy thingy, Brand New Day, Brand New Day, and the Odyssey. Between them, they are bringing in about three and a half billion dollars for the box office this summer.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what couple do you relate them to from your generation?
Speaker 1: I don't think that even is one really because Madonna and Champagne. But Madonna is never box office. I mean, she was obviously like musical box office I guess so, but no, because they're more sensible. In fact, they're very gen z in that they seem like they have this very healthy, respectful, friend based relationship and all that stuff. But what is interesting is people are always saying movies are dead, movies are dead, but they're clearly not dead. If Sendaea's in them, if Zendea's in them, they are alive. Those two. They talk about how movie stars are the people who can open a movie, and they have opened the two biggest movies of the year by a really long way.
Speaker 3: But what is also so GenZ about them is that I saw photos of them grabbing coffee in London last week. These are people bringing in, as you said, three and a half billion dollars in the box office, and they are living, by all accounts, pretty normal lives.
Speaker 2: I think what works for them is that they've always been or had this essence of being unbothered, like unbothered about everything right from the get go. I feel like when Zendeia was on Disney Channel in particular, she was doing so many movies, so many press tours, trying to push her celebrity esque and the minute she broke out from Disney Channel and went into Hollywood. Like, during the phase of her being in euphoria, she started to become more and more quiet, and I think that's worked really really well for.
Speaker 3: Oh that's interesting. So basically, the more famous she's become, the more quiet her persona is.
Speaker 2: And I think she's bringing Tom Holland with her on that journey.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, you know how we talked on the show a few weeks ago about how big movie stars can be a hindrance to film and TV because you're just watching Zendaya. I went to see The Odyssey on Saturday at EM's instructions. Obviously very much for listening. I sent your five years later at the text say said something like, you were right, it's really good.
Speaker 3: And then you crist And is onto something apparently so.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, it's interesting sitting next to my daughter who's sixteen, and all the way through she like, no one ever calls Tom Holland by his actual name, He's just Tom Holland, and she's just Sendeia and then every movie star who came on, and there are famously many many movie stars in that movie. Matilda would say to me, is that person famous? And I'd be like Yes, that's Shelley's there On. Yes that's Matt Damon. Yes that's San Hathaway. Yes that's John Lagisimo, that's Robert Pattinson. And I was just like that, It's true. The rail has dropped even on a movie that big, that sensational, that amazing. It's just Tom Holland's Tom Holland. Yeah for just bad. I think it's fine.
Speaker 2: I mean Tom Holland is always not worse than being Tom Holland is that he's always a kid, like he's never played an adult, grown up role. He's been in Spider Man for years. He's one actor who's had the most Spider Man movies made of him being Spider Man. And since then he's done The Odyssey, He's done.
Speaker 1: Like a few other roles. He's worked with Robert Pattison for a very long time.
Speaker 2: But he's always been a kid, or like a younger brother, or like the little guy.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking, like he is going to be typecasted now.
Speaker 2: Has always been the kid, and I'm interested to see how he transitions from doing these roles like these like boy from Queen's roles into being a proper adult role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been some think pieces about that, saying it's time to put your big boy pats on.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is his wife, I think, is a little bit less resistant to type casting. It seems to me that what she's done so successfully is separate her acting persona from who she is as a person, and I'm thinking that on the odesty press to it. She actually run into a little bit of controversy when her stylist, who we've mentioned here today, law Roach, got in a bit of hot water because he told press that one of the dresses she wore had been put on a private jet to go from the US to Europe or maybe it was vice versa. And obviously the carbon footprint of that dress is quite significant. But what was interesting is and Diya didn't get any of that associated criticism. It was understood that that was for a role, it was for work. Law Roach made the final call on that, and she didn't pick up any of the flag for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has that like cool edit similarly to Taylor Swift. Where even Taylor Swift, I remember during the Ara's tour, there was talks about her catching a private jet to go from her airs tour in Tokyo to watch her boyfriend play a game and then fly back.
Speaker 3: It was the super Bowl, we should add, and.
Speaker 2: I wasn't talk about it like she did get crap for doing those private jet flights and people were tracking each flight she was doing, but it never actually like tainted her essence of celebrity.
Speaker 3: I actually think she has two private jets, but people don't. People don't necessarily associate that way because I.
Speaker 1: Still want to go to a concert and they will still listen to her music. There's what's most interesting to me about Secret Wedding number two is that those two have been on a red carpet NonStop for three months, like every premiere in every country in the world, pretty much every continent ever, increasingly ridiculous outfits for Zendea ever increasingly are shucks adorability for Tom and don't you reckon that when that press was all over as it is now, you'd just want to put your rugs on. No, they want to go and have a big web beaver Brook. A beaver Brook in a massive win for both robots and high school students. AI has killed homework for good. I exaggerate, but only just It's been announced that in New South Wales at home assignments are going to be broadly banned for HSC consideration because everyone knows that the kids are not doing them themselves. They are getting a lot of help from their mates chat jem claude. Other states and territories are doing similar things. Victoria and Queensland are both pushing closed book exams and limited screen time in schools. Controlled classroom environments featuring computer screen monitoring and network firewalls are hot right now. Work firewalls so that you can't be in class and using your chat. All around the world, this is happening too. In Denmark, for example, high school students have to orally defend their work. The reason I'm pronouncing it like that, Amelia, is because on Friday I got in trouble from Mia for saying orally wrong wrong again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounded like you were saying orally.
Speaker 1: Orally say it so orally really?
Speaker 3: Orally is hearing orally is speaking?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, but it's I think I'm blaming my accent, but sure I get it. Orally defending any work like an essay completed at home, so you can't just hand it in. You have to like stand up and defend and explain all these things. Teachers are also getting better and better catching the kids out. Last week, this video went kind of viral from an American professor. Now, he said that what he's been doing is laying little trap for his students. So in the bit you're about to hear, now, he's going to tell you the result of what he's been doing is he'll set out the instructions for an essay and he'll hide inside it in white text and ridiculous prompt So in this case it was used the word Madagascar, but the kids can't see it, and so then he sends the essay away. And he said that when this one came back, thirty two out of the thirty five kids in his class had not only usdai, but not read back their homework because Madagascar is everywhere here, he is saying, giving a few examples.
Speaker 4: Part three, A lot of y'all wanted to actually hear how Madagascar was used in.
Speaker 1: Some of the prompts.
Speaker 4: I won't read the entire prompt, just maybe the sins before in the sinence it was actually used.
Speaker 1: Here's the first one.
Speaker 4: Today, technologies such as artificial intelligence, smartphones, and automation is changing many jobs by making work faster and reducing the need for some manual task. Madagascar flow sideways through the afternoon.
Speaker 1: And that was in the essay that came back. There's another one too, where is it here?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: At the same time, not everyone has the same access to technology, which can make social inequality even worse. Madagascar Purple Bicycle whispers to the ceiling.
Speaker 1: That guy is a professor from Mississippi called doctor James Gibson, and he has gone viral for showing these tricks, which, of course now the kids are all across, so they're going to have to develop more. Everyone hates homework, right, Is this a win for everybody? Or is this sadder? Is it just a sign of the times.
Speaker 2: I think it's a win for kids for sure. Why does homework exist? You're already doing it at school, and then you want me to do more work at home. We don't even do that in the workplace. But like kids have to do, like sport. They don't even get an afternoon nap anymore. You know how many times I would have loved an afternoon nap when I was in high school. The fact that these kids don't have to do homework anymore, I think is a whim for society.
Speaker 1: Well, because assignments are part of the school, right, So when you're doing directsc you still have to do exams, but you're doing at home assignments which might be deeper work, more creative work, like over a long period of time, putting together a lot of research information.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think broadly speaking, what we're seeing is a big correction from the last two decades of what was happening in Australian schools. Two decades ago, Kevin Rudd said, I'm going to make sure personally that every high school student in Australia between the years of nine and twelve is going to get a laptop. And everyone at the time thought that was so great, and it was the digital revolution. Remember that phrase information super highway, all of these phrases that we do not use anymore because we've realized it's not, in fact a super highway. It's more like a pothold road to nowhere. So then everyone got the laptops. Then they got to university, and then their professors there realized that they were behind where they should be. And now we're trying to sort of have the pendulum swing back in the other direction. There's a word for what you're describing here, hollywhich is descreening. So a lot of Australian schools are consciously figuring out ways to make sure that screens are not used in the classroom. And part of this is we've also realized in the ensuing years that the actual act of writing things down with a pen and paper can aid in learning and internalizing knowledge. If you're just typing something, you're not getting the knowledge imprinted on your head in the same way as when you actually write something with pen and paper.
Speaker 1: And if you're just copying and pasting it from chat GPT without checking that it doesn't say mad doing basketball, that you're not learning anything at that they're not even reading the antwers before they admit. It's like a whole it is. We have a lot of teachers who listen to out loud and I my heart goes out to them right because as if it's not hard enough, we're always talking about all the extra things that are piled on teachers in terms of looking after kids social and mental well being as well as their education and all these things. And now it's also you have to be wilier than a fox to try and trip them up on AI use, so it feels like you're just always running to catch up, whereas we any parent of kids who are old enough to have access to technology knows they are streets ahead of us always.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So you think that you're being really cool and you've got your screen time limits on there and you've got all that kind of thing, but they always find a way around it.
Speaker 2: It's almost embarrassing on how much we forget that kids are so so smart. I remember when I was in year six, which would have been two thousand and eight, we had two police officers come in for assembly and they were talking about the dangers of Facebook and MySpace, and kids were laughing because it was stuff that we already knew, but we knew it was stuff that our parents didn't know.
Speaker 1: Like every kid had.
Speaker 2: Like a Facebook profile on MySpace page that they hid from their And it went on with like being on a egle and talking to strangers online, like every person knew how to use technology, and we were years ahead of our parents and trying to catch up even with the social media band. I know so many kids who still have social media, Like it's almost embarrassing on how we don't we always forget that kids are so so smart and so ahead of the curve, and when we implement these new processes for AI and things like that, we're always doing it from an adult perspective, where it's like, how do we use AI? How do we be safe on AI? Forgetting that kids who were doing it probably a few years before us.
Speaker 1: Well, that's interesting. I'd love to know what you think about that, Amelia, because it's like, to me, in a way, this seems quite quick, Like it feels almost as if education systems in Australia and around the world are being quite reactive, quite fast on cracking down on this because for a lot of people, unless it's your industry, they're only just figuring out what AI can do, and we're and are only just learning now, Oh, they can write your essay for you, they can do interpret your but we're only just going, oh, that's interesting. So it does feel like this reactivity is working well. But then isn't it a bit unfair, Amelia, because not all kids perform really well in exams. For lots of people, kids who are more creative or less sort of conventionally knowledge based assignment work is so much better for them, and that's just going to go and it's going to be back to books, exams, closed rooms, pens and paper. Is that a good thing?
Speaker 3: You're just on the quick point. I think part of the reason why the education system is trying to get on this so quickly is that there's a sense that social media society as a whole drop the ball for kids. Yes, we did not understand quickly enough the damage that it did to kids' brains, and things like the social media band have only been so effective, in fact mostly ineffective. So I think as a society we feel determined not to let that happen with AI. On the fairness point, I think that's a great point. And I also think kids look around and they see everyone else using AI, and there's a sense of rules for me and not for these. So just today there was this article in the nine newspapers about how Kmart is using AI now to hire holiday casuals. This is not by any means restricted to Kmart, Woolworths, Bunning's Conscious. These are all companies that are now using AI in hiring. My husband actually did an interview on AI recently and it was the weirdest thing he had to dress up in a shirt and a tie for this AI interview, and I heard him doing it in the other room, and there was just there'd just be a period of silence, and then he would answer the question because the AI would give him a prompt, and then he would have to speak to the AI as if it was a human. There was something very sort of almost humiliating about that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like trying to impress because I'm not a human entity, and the I don't want to sound like I'm clutching my pearls like a nana. But the idea of all the things you would learn if you were sitting across the table from your husband, from his body language, from the way he talks, and the way he presents, whether he's smiling, whether he's not just gone, that's exactly frightening.
Speaker 3: And look, with this came out interview that the nine newspapers wrote about today, the AI bot says at the start, we'll ask you five thought provoking questions that will reveal your strengths and help you identify areas for growth. And then apparently it says you're not allowed to use AI for your responses, which first of all, just feels like a very clear power imbalance between employer and would be employee. And then after the interview you were emailed some areas for improvement. So the AI emailed this journalist and said, look, you seem like you're very trustworthy on the plus side. On the con side, you seem a bit bossy.
Speaker 1: Oh the robot's telling me I'm boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not in so many words. It was phrase more tactfully than that. But I don't want the AI telling me what's wrong with me.
Speaker 1: I've got commissions to do that, Amelia. I'm trying, we try really hard on this show to remain positive or not beaten.
Speaker 3: Now I just want to.
Speaker 1: Walk out of the store on the PUSA.
Speaker 3: I do think that just to bring it back to that idea that we are not going to as a society, let what social media did your kids happen to? This next generation of Jena so interesting.
Speaker 1: I have one complaint, which is why I said that in my throwaway thing about this that I'm unhappy, and that's that we need homework to stop the kids from just being on TikTok and video games at all times. If you do away with that homework, now my kids are just unfettered into the algorithms that have been set for them by other robots in other places. So I'm like, there is no escape. Please bring back.
Speaker 3: Homework after the break, grab a cup of tea, snuggle up under a crochet blanket, and let's figure out if there's anything wrong with just wanting to be cozy. Okay. On Saturday night, I went out with a friend just for a quiet drink at the pub and we were sitting in I love a quiet drinking.
Speaker 1: I was so great for you.
Speaker 3: We meditate thirty, which felt rather daring for me, and across the courtyard we spied a group of young women who must have been no older than maybe twenty twenty one, and they were huddled over a game of cards. My first instinct when I saw them was that looks incredibly cozy. But then my friend, who had a wilder and more adventurous youth than I did, said she felt sad because she said they should be out making mistakes, they shouldn't be just playing cards together. So this is the cult of cozy in action. I've been thinking about this cult of cozy lately because there's been this spate of articles about how young people, particularly after COVID are prioritizing their well being and their happiness in a way that other generations such as mine and Holly did not. We didn't prioritize well being in happiness, no hangovers. You're doing fewer recreational drugs, they're drinking less, they're having less sex, and instead they're embracing creative, wholesome, tactile activities. The New York Times called it hobby maxing or hobby hobby amory. Another term for it is having a side quest. I think it brings a little like whimsy to your life, which has nothing to do with your job or anything like that. The New York Times says, though, that there is a dark side to this, which is that, okay, fine, you're in great health. You're not vomiting into toilets, which Holly and I may or may not have done. You are instead pursuing these hobbies at the expense of romantic relationships. In fact, get at your pearls, Holly, clutch them because some of them aren't dating at all. Frum gen Zis are just saying I just want to crochet, I'm not interested in dating. Are we okay with this? And m what is your side quest.
Speaker 2: Oh, my side quest right now is I'm learning a lot about wines.
Speaker 1: Which I don't think young people would think that's something cool.
Speaker 3: No, but that is cozy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I Holly, I do prioritized hangovers as well. I thought, give it like a more elevator.
Speaker 3: You like getting into your sideways.
Speaker 2: I'm going into wine bars where like they can educate me.
Speaker 1: On the wine that I drink. This is a very thirty This is because you've turned I turned thirty doing that. I saw a thing recently.
Speaker 3: I won't.
Speaker 1: I will get all the stats wrong if I quote it. So I shan't but that young people aren't drinking wine right, and that the wine industry is panicking. But they just need patience. The people thirty and suddenly be like that someone with the skin.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 2: There are two reasons I think why having a hobby is better than having a boyfriend. The number one reason is that hobbies will always be there, and hobbies always look good in an Instagram post. So I do understand why young people are choosing that over romantic relationships. But I also want to bring up what your friend said, which is people should go out and make mistakes. Why why do all the people want to always make mistakes.
Speaker 1: Why do they always want us?
Speaker 2: There's so many thing pieces about why people people are panicking. The young people aren't having sex anymore, and.
Speaker 3: Let me explain why. So when we were having this chat on Saturday, I said that looks cozy. She said they should be making mistakes. But she had at first said, oh, that's so cute, because that's what me and my boyfriend do. Now they are both in their forties and this is what they do. They play cards together. And I think that's fine for them. But the point is you had the rest of your life to play cards together. I think that's the argument as to why the young people should not be playing cards.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting, it's so fun.
Speaker 2: Like when I in my early twenties, I was very much like, go out every night, get drunk, make mistakes, do all of that. And then COVID happened when I was around twenty four to twenty five, and then since that, I've literally been only doing hobbies like that.
Speaker 1: Life is gone.
Speaker 2: So I think about with the young people who are younger than me, who might be in their mid twenties. Now I'll talk about my sister an example. It happened to her when she was in UNI. She didn't make a single university friend because she never met a single university person. So her whole Uni, those whole three years, she did completely online.
Speaker 1: This is your sister, This is my sister. She's now twenty four.
Speaker 2: So is she into hobbies. She's so into hobbies. She's developed an Instagram page just for her hobbies. Wow, and she is so into it.
Speaker 3: What abby?
Speaker 1: Her hobbies include?
Speaker 2: She reads a lot, like, she reads about three books a week, and she made an Instagram page on that. Drinking tea is a big hobby of hers.
Speaker 3: Is maxing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is very cozy. She's never been to a nightclub. She's never been Amelia that remember, never been to.
Speaker 3: A night never a club.
Speaker 2: She's never gotten drunk. And I'm sure she'd love me airing her. Don't laundry, but like, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Know any laundry laundry.
Speaker 2: I don't know many young people her hey age, All her friends and stuff are all the same. And I think that's because when they came out of COVID, they actually didn't know how to make friends. And I think when I see young women out hanging out together doing beating together, going to book clubs together.
Speaker 1: This is our way of learning how.
Speaker 2: Because if you tried to make friends at a nightclub, it's not going to be a good friend.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you that right now.
Speaker 3: I'm could have made good friends in nightclubs. That is the worst argument ever get and have sex all the business.
Speaker 1: It's so true. You have a really good point there about why does everybody want you to have more sex?
Speaker 3: It is making good friends in nightclubs a less good point.
Speaker 1: It is creepy that we are all nostalgically obsessed with trying to make young people do all the dastardly things that we did, and then we should be at home doing homework in.
Speaker 3: The same confusing.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because gen X, which is where I am, you know that we famously partied pretty hard, and there's saying another big area of growth in terms of nightlife is old people raving gen X basically still not wanting to let go of that lifestyle. And they probably aren't drinking as much or in vibing quite as many you know, questionable things as they were when they're doing when they're twenty, but they for them. Then nostalgia is lots of people big room, big noise, being out being in that, and that's the nostalgia. And I think that it's very hard for any of us to understand why other people don't love the things that we love, right, Like, you're kind of going, but that's energy, and it's true. Is that I on Saturday night? Actually, if we're all sharing our Saturday nights here, not that anyone asks, but hey, I went to see live music on Saturday night. One of my friends is a performer and she had a show. Now, I was not in the mood. I wanted to be cozy, Amelia. I was tired a bit, you know, stuff's going on in life. I wanted to be in bed and just let not go. But I did the grown up thing. I did the thing that's true to my gen X self, and I got ready and I went out and I drank champagne. I had a great time. And you're like, I remember why it's so wonderful to be in a room with lots of people who are all listening to the same thing and enjoying the same thing, and watching someone create art and all that stuff, like it was great. Beating would not have been the same.
Speaker 3: And I love beating them.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love, I've got my own meaning, but I do have my own cozy hobbies, like I love my garden and all that stuff. But it's very I think that part of why jen X in particular is always going on at the young people to like go out and get get drunk, make mistakes, sleep with the wrong people. Is almost our own sense of shame. We want it to be. We see it as judgment that they're not doing it, you know what I mean, Whereas I think you could see because obviously there is judgment. It is judgment, it definitely is. Because there are lots of reasons why. Finance is a reason why you've made a very good point about the pandemic. The other reason why is that we're everybody's so perceived all the time now, and that you know, and if you go out, it's a whole thing's to be documented. There's a lot of effort involved in that, in terms of being ready, being looking great, having everything instagrammable. It's exhausting. So I get why you wouldn't want to. And I think it's interesting because a lot of gen X is carry the weight of all that, you know, acceptance of over drinking and all those things, and it's almost like we want to push it on you, like you have to have these problems too. We can't just be up here with our red flag drinking and our broken relationships and all those like that. You guys have to get into this. It is weird. I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so when you see young people hobby maxing, are you just like sad or you kind of like, wow, good for them. They seem like they're having a really good time, and I should probably respect that.
Speaker 1: My instinct is what Amelia said, which is you've got your whole life to do that. Like I remember being young and I had a boyfriend and I was really keen for us to like cook dinner together, and you know, like that was so cozy. But you know, I'm sure you relate. You're kind of like that would be so nice to just stay in together on a Saturday night and make something nice for tea. But then when you've had twenty thirty years doing that, you're like, why was I doing?
Speaker 2: But then when you cooked dinner together, then you can meal prep for the rest of the week, and then you don't have to buy lunch.
Speaker 3: Batch cook's sensible. Look, holy what I'm going to quote from her substack, rather than sort of project onto young people. She wrote a substack recently called are You Cozy or Are You Depressed? And she talked about how her interest in being cozy and in sort of leaving parties early and not going out at all did coincide with her becoming depressed, and she's now realized that that was sort of too extreme and the issue is finding a balance, which sometimes does mean getting out of her comfort zone, but which for her will never mean clubbing and drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I think, yeah, the definition, I don't know depends on a definition of cozy, because I see cozy also being out and doing things like going to book clubs, going to a wine bar. Like you're still going out, You're still doing things. I think there is exactly what she said, a difference between being inside all the time and doing things. And this is from like my perspective, and I've also been diagnosed with depression of you can get in like a little bit of a rut if you're constantly doing things on your own at home in the dark, under a blanket, disguising it as the idea of doing a cozy activity. I think that's exactly what she said where it becomes dangerous, But I think.
Speaker 1: You can still be cozy. Like those group of girls.
Speaker 3: They like they looked cozy.
Speaker 1: They're going out.
Speaker 2: There, they're making friends, they're playing cards, they're doing something.
Speaker 1: They're just not making mistakes.
Speaker 3: Mark Zuckerberg's in his villain era. I'm just going to read the headline from The Guardian which came across the Chance in this morning. Zuckerberg faces questions over why super yacht reportedly declined to help stranded vote. Oh wow, zuck was yourch was cruising in Alaska. It costs four hundred and twenty five million dollars. This yacht and a nearby skiff ran out of fuel, but Zuckerberg's yacht failed to respond to the distress call, and instead a small commercial cruise ship, which was much further away, had to come to the skiff's aid. You might remember this yacht because earlier this year there were some dawning headlines when it sailed into Seattle Harbor at the exact time that Meta laid off hundreds of employees. The yacht, actually it sounds like a really nice yacht. It was originally owned by a sanctioned Russian oligarch. They've always got really good taste. And now I should say apparently Zuk and his wife were not on the yacht at the time, so it's not their fault, but they are the yacht's fault. It's the yacht's fault. But they are also in the headlines for another classic villain move, which is they closed a school they founded for disadvantaged children. The Primary School, as it was called, was co founded by Zuckerberg's pediatrician wife, Priscilla in twenty sixteen. School was outside San Francisco. Reading from its website, it says the primary school was founded on the guiding principle that raising a child is a team effort. Well, apparently not that much of a team effort, because the sixth richest man in the world and his wife cited difficulties in raising funds for the school as a reason for closing it. They just passed around the hat didn't get enough money and said, you know what, did yousa found each kids really need a school?
Speaker 1: Probably, no, we really need a yacht.
Speaker 3: And now the local school has to put up portable trailers because there are five hundred students who need to stay in school ahead of the start of the next academic year.
Speaker 1: They should have thought of a better excuse. I don't think they could say there isn't enough money for this school when they've got.
Speaker 3: More money than anyone.
Speaker 1: You know. There's been a bit of chitchat about how much chitchat we do about billionaires.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people think I mean to them well.
Speaker 1: And also some people are like, why do you talk about them, like they are not relevant, But I want to make the point that they are relevant because we live in an era where they are the most powerful people in the world, right, like no question.
Speaker 3: If you're on the skiff.
Speaker 1: But also they're more powerful than most governments. They're way more powerful than most politicians. They've got more money than most you know, small nations and large nail and.
Speaker 3: Mask is like the twentieth richest country in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it's like that's kind of why it's interesting what they do, where they go, how they behave. I was when I went to see The Odyssey, as I have already mentioned, because I'm so proud that I went to the movies. I saw the trailer for The Social Reckoning Have you seen that? So it's kind of like the next wave of the Social Network movie written by Aaron Sorkins, starring Jeremy Strong, Jeremy Strong from Succession.
Speaker 3: And Jeremy Allen White.
Speaker 1: Yeah play yes, So Jeremy Strong plays Zuckerberg. And one thing you can get very quickly from the trailer is this is not a very flattering It is going to be really interesting because it very much plays them just again, I've only seen the trailer, but as being in the villain era and being the villains of our time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they said recently they couldn't afford the school, but now they're redirecting the funds that they used to spend on research into early childhood education into drum roll please ai oh.
Speaker 1: Oh no, interviewing you for your next job. Happy for them, I guess. Okay, we've got to have something cheerful to talk about, I'm sure. And what's next.
Speaker 2: After the break, we have a very famous actor on why he ended a twenty nine year friendship. Very cheerful actor Richard E. Grant went on the Mad, Bad, Sad podcast Great Name, hosted by a Paloma Faith, and he talked about how he was betrayed by his best friend and exactly what he did about it.
Speaker 1: Take a listen to this what I thought was.
Speaker 5: One of the five best friends of my life. She sent an email. Because my name was in the body of the email I got inadvertently sent this email and it arrived on a day when I had heard for the third time that a film that I'd written and was about to direct the finances had collapsed, and I was doing the final episode of Frasier. I got this email that wasn't intended for me to see, but there was a paragraph of such toxicity and I out here, Yeah, and I thought, this person is that's not a real friend anymore. And I was absolutely devastated. So I copied and pasted that and then sent it back and I said, twenty nine years of friendship.
Speaker 3: Question, man, what was it? Ann annihilation of your character?
Speaker 5: It was of my script that I had written, which was entirely autobiographical. My daughter was very smart because she was sixteen. She said to me, in your heart of hearts, haven't you always known this about that person? So when you're betrayed like that, it's there's no going back for me.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to unpack in that A lot. Number one. If you ever wondered what a posh English accent is that's a Polish got it go away?
Speaker 2: When I first listened to this, my fear that instilled in me was like, how did that email was accidentally sent to him?
Speaker 1: Because his name was in the bottom.
Speaker 3: I think it's because sometimes this has happened in lower stakes ways than me. Sometimes, when you were thinking of a person who the email is about, you can sometimes accidentally address it to them.
Speaker 2: That's disgusting, it is I think I'm blaming the Okay, I have some questions for the for the group about this.
Speaker 3: Yes? Right? Is there? So?
Speaker 1: There are two things that are really interesting to me in this is. One is talking shit about one of your friends, if there's ever a safe way to do that, And the other is about criticizing your friend's work. Because those are two quite different things.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So the first one is, if you've been friends with someone for twenty nine years and you've got an intense relationship, probably sometimes you need to let off a bit of steam about them.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Is there any such thing as a safe place to do what you could maybe term healthy venting about a friend? Or is that the very definition of not being a friend. I don't think you can.
Speaker 2: I think if they're your best best friend and you need to vent about something that they're doing. The person you should be venting to is that friend. Can you say, without wanting to get you in any trouble, that you literally never talk to your friends about another friend? Literally you never do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're driving me crazy at the moment. Or I wish you'd do blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Close acquaintances, yeah, free for all. Yeah, yeah, I can do whatever close close friends, hand on heart. Never, I'll never talk to a friend about another friend. I will talk directly to that friend if they're doing something I don't like.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a high bar. I'm very impressed. I try very hard not to talk shit, but sometimes sometimes it's very hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yes, I don't quite believe this. I'm sorry, really, okay.
Speaker 1: I know that you've always prided yourself a memory direct and I know that's very true about you. But let's say that one of your really good friends is in a relationship that you think is bullshit. Let's use that as an example. Are you really telling me that you would never say to one of your other friends in your friendship? I wish Betty would like he's such a dick. Really never a good example, because you know how they say a test is would you say this to them? And if you wouldn't say this to them, you shouldn't say it.
Speaker 3: But the reason why that's a good example is because that's not bitching about your friend. That's saying like that choice is creating problems for her soul.
Speaker 2: So friend a shitty relationship. I go to friend B and I say she's in a shitty relationship. I want to do something about it. I want to address it. I will never just let that conversation stay with friend B. It'll always has to bring back to friend A, and I'll be like, I talked to this person, we think you should do this, Or I'll bring all of us together and be like, we think you should do this intervention. But I will never just let a side conversation happen about a friend but am addressing it in the end.
Speaker 1: I try very hard. I can't say that I always live up to that. It's very impressive because.
Speaker 2: I think my friendships and I was thinking about what Richard was saying about ending the twenty nine year friendship, and it made me a bit like, oh my god, that's really scary. Because I think my friendships live in between romantic partner and sibling. If a romantic partner did that to me, I think immediate breakup. If a sibling did that to me, I like, that's fine, Like it will be really really hard, But you can't break up with a sibling. And friendships live in that middle space. That's always a great area. So I actually don't know what I would do.
Speaker 1: There is a possibility that friend who wrote the shit about rich D Grant did not see their friendship in quite the same frame that he did.
Speaker 3: What I was intrigued by in that is, he said this person was one of the five best friends of my life, which struck me just as a surprising formulation because I don't think I've ever had the thought of this person as one of the five best friends of my life. It just feels like a strange way of putting friends on tears.
Speaker 1: I think that that makes sense to me, Like, because over your life, you probably have you're closer to different people at different times, and you probably have maybe you know, you might have school friends, uni friends, work friends, whatever, and at different yeah, you probably gotten inner circle that is your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Yeah, I could see that. I guess. The other thing about this that I thought was, this is a particular predicament about work and friendship and mixing the two of them. And I know you're as a novelist, Holly, You're putting your work out there in the world, and it must be sometimes stressful when you have a book coming out? Do you how do you navigate that with your friends?
Speaker 1: So I'm weird in that my friends will tell you, particularly my friends who are like not in my world, like my professional world. I hate talking to them about my professional world. I don't do it. So I was thinking about this in that it isn't a prerequisite to be my friend that you have to like my books, like, because I can't control that. Like, you might love me, but you might think my books are shit. I don't want you to tell me that you think my books are shit. But you don't have to pretend that you like them, because that's worse. You can always tell when somebody doesn't really like your work and it's like it's so interesting, like or they're reaching around. So I think you have to if you've got if your work is in the public sphere in any way, or maybe it's creative or well who knows, but it touches people in a way that they would have opinions about it. You kind of have to make for me. The way that I do it is there's I feel like there's a firm divide, like you don't have to and we don't have to talk about it, and we can pretend that I don't have a book coming out and that it doesn't matter. In fact, I would rather than like professional like friends who are in the same professional world is a bit different, which is maybe where this falls for they grant is you would expect them to support you and help you do well. It's because it's like whether they love it or not is not really the point. You just would like their support. But if my friend's a teacher, then I like she doesn't always prefer that.
Speaker 2: She doesn't exist because it's unequal, Like you're not going to go to a friend who works in a bank and like judge them on their job and go to their presentations. But I think what's a bit different about the Richard story is that because he said that it was a memoir, so I have a feeling that what she critiqued was something that was quite personal and was more of a critique on him as a person rather than his actual skill set, and I think that can depending on what exactly she said, that definitely could end a friendship.
Speaker 3: I had a friend who I think me. I had a very close friend in my twenties and we just shared everything with each other. We would have been the ones playing cards at the pub all through our twenties when we were at that stage, as Richard E. Grant is saying, where you're sort of seeing who's going to make it, who's going to live out their dreams. And this Warmer friend of mine is very successful at what she does and it's in the media, so we are in the same field. But I invited her to my wedding when we were sort of a little bit rocky, because I just had this feeling of I just want to sort of have a big tent, literally, so I invited her to the wedding. And then I learned later that she had criticized my first dance that's not okay, and look, I'm not a good dancer, but I wasn't trying to be a good dancer, and it was just.
Speaker 1: To other people at the wedding.
Speaker 3: Yes, apparently as it was going on, she like live critiqued it, know live critique, Like she gave a live critique, and so I literally never spoke to her again, does she know that you?
Speaker 1: That's what happened, Like, did you know how Richard E. Grant copied the paragraph back? You could have been like, I heard you said my footwork.
Speaker 3: Well, actually what happened was I learned about it on Twitter back when it was Twitter. Long story, but so, I mean I guess she knew that it had been publicly disclosed.
Speaker 1: WHOA, Because so here's my thing about Like I know you shouldn't tear friendships, and I don't really, but there are people who are friends of mine who I like and I enjoy hanging out with, but I don't necessarily trust them, and it's not an important thing then, But you're in a circle your five best friends, as he describes, they should punch someone in the face if they're critiquing your first dance. I don't mean literally, we don't condone violence. But what I mean is there's like, if you're an acquaintance at that wedding, you can make a little joke about something, but not in that in a tent, absolutely not like you expect a level of trust that would not allow that to happen.
Speaker 3: And what I relate to in what Richard E. Grant is saying here, I'll always think of him as mister Spice World, But what he's saying here is that it's it's particularly helpful because when you make friends in your youth, you really do share absolutely everything with each other. And so there was this sense that she knows everything about me and everything that has led to and arguably culminated in this moment, and for her to then sort of demean the moment makes it even more egregious.
Speaker 1: Do you think there is any way back for a situation where that line's been crossed, like in the Richard E. Grant case, Like, is there any way back from the email or the overheard conversation or the you know whatever. Do you think there's any way back from that?
Speaker 3: I think there is. I'll just would you if she had come to me and said, here's why I chose or here's why I wanted to kind of bring you down in that moment and then gave me an explanation that was rooted in what was going on for her vulnerabilities, that she was some vulnerability the issues she was bringing to the table when she made that criticism. I think I would be very open to that, because it's a source of sadness when someone with whom you were so close is no longer in your life. But she never did that, so I guess it's hypothetically.
Speaker 1: And I guess Richard E. Grant's friend never said, this is why I was so harsh about your work. It's because I'm jealous, or it's because I wish that for myself, or because I think you're better than that, or whatever. It's really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The older I get, the less less tolerable I am of mean people.
Speaker 1: One last question the daughter who said, did you always know?
Speaker 3: Deep down?
Speaker 1: That's a really good question.
Speaker 3: Yes. The answer yes, that would make me.
Speaker 1: Spon because it's you often know, don't you like? I'm very if you know how sometimes you might call someone by mistake or they call you by mistake, and you can listen in on what they're doing. I can't, like I have I don't want to know. I don't want to know, you know, I'm like, what if they're saying something about me? And that's why the voice got no. I don't want to know la la la la laud rather not know but you.
Speaker 3: But you do always know. And with this particule person I, when I first met her, I didn't trust her and I should have just went gone with my first instinct.
Speaker 1: Interesting out louder, You always know, do you? How do you deal with a friend's betrayal? It's a big, big deal in our worlds. We'd love to hear from you, how loud as. That is all we have time for this Monday. We have as usual, been all over the place. Thank you for being here with us. Today we are pulling the lucky out louder who wins the books? So on Wednesday we'll be able to.
Speaker 3: Tell you who.
Speaker 2: Yay.
Speaker 1: Until then, we'll see you tomorrow. Bye bye. Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.