Speaker 1: You're listening to a mom and me a podcast. Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: I heard a voice in my head, in my mind, in my heart that said run, and he had gone to his office to get his gun. So if I had stayed, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, and we drove.
Speaker 1: Away from Mamma Maya, you're listening to no filter and I'm mea Friedman. When I was a teenage girl, I was kissing boys and dating, and I was hanging with my friends. I was working at Woolly's, and I was desperately trying to get a fake ID so that I could sneak into clubs. Well, the usual teenage behavior, but I was also dreaming about my future, thinking about who I wanted to be when I grew up, what I wanted to do, what adventures I wanted to have out in the world when I left school. When Tia Levings was a teenage girl, she was preparing to serve a husband that she hadn't even met yet. Because Tina was brought up as a Christian fundamentalist, where being a trad wife was the only option for girls, a marriage with strict, old fashioned gender roles where the man was the boss and the woman served him. And that's exactly what she did. Around the time Tia got married in the early two thousands, the whole trad wife lifestylethough, wasn't called that then. It was been glorified on TV around the world by a show called nineteen Kids in Counting. You might remember it. It was about the Dugger family, the parents, Michelle and Jim Bob. They were also Christian fundamentalists like Tea and the community where she grew up. They wore old fashioned clothes and they chopped their own wood, and they homeschooled all their children. They had so many children. It was kind of fascinating to watch. But what we've since learned is that there were some really dark things going on in that house among the Duggers, and Tea experienced similar things in her own tradwife marriage. She barely escaped from that marriage with her life. She had to grab her children and flee in the middle of the night. Tea's story is a story about survival, indoctrination, fundamentalism, but it's also a story about marketing and how trad wives aren't just a quirky trend on Instagram or a funny reality show. This is why Tea has written a book about her trad life and why she wants you to hear her story as the former trad wife who got away. Tea are welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: You start your story in nineteen eighty four when your family moved from Michigan to Florida. Talk to me about your early years in the way that your family changed when you made that move to Florida.
Speaker 2: When I was ten, we moved to Jacksonville, Florida, and my parents wanted to give us a good childhood, a protected childhood, a happy one. And in Jacksonville, the message was all over the city that the best way to do that was to join the biggest church in town. So it was a Southern Baptist megachurch. We had thirty five hundred members at that time, and then it quickly grew to ten thousand, and then twenty thousand, and by the time I graduated high school, our sanctuary sat over ten thousand people. I was there six days a week. It was a lot of fun. I would not have pointed to a lot of it as being particularly traumatic or problematic. I was being systematically groomed and conditioned to self subjugate and self gaslight and cooperate with an authoritarian model. But I didn't know that. I knew that I was just having this Christian evangelical experience that had a lot of money and privilege attached to it, and I didn't know any different. I talk about this sometimes like a culture within a culture, and it's based on the verse in the Bible that says be in the world, but not of it, And so we really were practicing a parallel Christian culture in the world, but not engaging with the world, not informing our worldviews, not growing and into adults. We were growing to prepare to be Christian wives and mothers. And that is all. That was my second ten years. I got married at nineteen.
Speaker 1: You call it a cult without wolves, which is really interesting because by that I assume you may it's hiding in plain side. You talked about it's a megachurch, so it's not just like a fringe few kind of people meeting in a basement. It is like literally tens of thousands of people. What is the IBLP. Is it Gothard or Goddard.
Speaker 2: Well, Gothard is how we say it, but it's God Guard, which is just so funny to me. Bill Gothard started the Institute of Basic Life Principles the IBLP. For sure, there's a headquarters in Australia, there's a headquarters in America. His model of growth cross denominational lines in that he taught biblical principles, so Christians from churches all over would come and then they would be sent back out to their churches to proselytize within their congregations for this stricter form of Christianity. If you're familiar with the Dugger family on TLC's Nineteen Kids and counting, that's the most visible family of the Gothard system. I was in Shiny Happy People last year and that did a big expose on the IBLP and how it works and how it has gone into because of its agenda, it's gone into every branch of government and the entire evangelical movement. That's why I call it the cult without walls, because we were part of this high control group with very strict criteria that meets all of the cult definition, but it doesn't have a building, and so people identify with cults is like it's a place you go and it's a single person you follow, and that is not how high control religion works. I believe it does meet all of the cult criteria. And if you listen to survivors, you hear from multiple backgrounds, all kinds of different evangelical sex and denominations, with very similar experiences.
Speaker 1: What's the role of the Duggers in the Ibopa and Gothard?
Speaker 2: You know, as the leader of that church, they were kind of reputation ambassadors. They had some influence in sway, but they were one of star families because of the number of children that they had and their high visibility and their political involvement. But really their role was lifestyle evangelism. So their purpose was to show the world what a great lifestyle this is, so that people will feel attracted to it and choose it. And it worked in a big influential way in America. Plenty of people watched that show just to watch the car accident and the crazies, but plenty more thought it was an enviable way to live. And the trad lifestyle that we find ourselves in today is in large part influenced by fundamentalism on TV.
Speaker 1: So while you were preparing for womanhood, talk to me about your teenagees and what influence the IBLP and Gothard had on you.
Speaker 2: So it was an invisible influence for me in my high school years because I didn't know about him. His people were around me, and I was observing them, and I was learning all their special rules, and I was observing that there was this way in our church to be a special kind of Christian, a holier Christian, somebody who was more devout and more sold out and serious in their faith, and that it had a lifestyle projection in that they wore different clothes, and they had lots of children, and they decided to homeschool their children, and so we had a lot of respect and reverence for them. Not everyone wanted to live that way, but it seemed very much like an option you could take. It wasn't a serious pursuit of mine until I was married and very quickly a young mother, and I was in abuse and I needed to keep my baby quiet at night, and I turned to an older mother in that system to teach me how to help my baby sleep but also keep the home. It's called keepers of the home, and so I wanted to be a godly Proverbs thirty one woman and be good. You know what I was trying to be, which was just a Christian wife and mother.
Speaker 1: You talk about in your book that at fourteen, when most young girls at the mall and shopping and maybe getting on Instagram and posting selfies, your job was to prepare at age fourteen to be a Christian wife and mother within the church. What did that preparation actually look like?
Speaker 2: Hell, that's a great question, because we weren't actually preparing to be wives. And if they had been teaching us here's what you might practically face as a wife, I might have had some more tools under my belt. Instead, it was looked like a lot of what you don't do, very heavily focused on purity culture and remaining a virgin not tempting men.
Speaker 1: What's purity culture for someone who's not familiar with purity culture.
Speaker 2: Purity culture is an entire culture that's built around keeping you sexually pure. So it includes modesty so that you're learning how to dress in a very modest manner that won't tempt men. It also includes your behavior, your speech being modest in all ways. We call it purity culture here, because this is the idea that your behavior can make you impure and that you are trying to stay pure so that you can be an undefiled bride for your husband.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about modesty, because what does modesty actually mean in this context, because for most people, modesty means you don't go around perhaps begniting yourself. You have humility, but that's not what this kind of modesty in religious fundamentalism means. Can you explain what it is?
Speaker 2: That's the big irony is that modesty, especially in scriptures, has a lot to do with your bearing and behavior. But what it's become an evangelical culture is a hyperfixation on the length of a girl's skirt and whether or not her brasstrap is showing or Bill Gothard has a teaching called eye traps. So these are the way clothing is designed to draw your eye to say, a slender waistline or cleavage or something that might attract a man's attention, and that is ruled as immodest clothing. Your behavior can be immodest, and that you can be loud or laugh too loud, stand out in any way you know that can become a thing. But it's all external.
Speaker 1: Is it about sexuality? Because it's at an age. You know, a fourteen year old girl, she's growing breast, she's menstruating, she's suddenly aware that men are looking at her in a different way. She's maybe feeling hormones, she's maybe feeling things. In fact, she no doubt is all of the things. How are you taught to interpret that that all of that was dangerous and that it was sinful, and that it was your job to protect men from the sin of you.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's completely internalized. The actual scripture says that if a man lusts, he should pluck his eyes out and never mentions what the girl is doing. But we flipped it, the evangelical culture flipped it. It was all focused on first how we were addressing and being, but then eventually our very worth was sinful, distracting, dangerous, tempting. I interpreted the things I was feeling as a sexualized young person, those were my temptations to sin and step out of the will of God. So constantly suppressing any urges or attractions or desires so that I wouldn't feel them. It's very important to not feel them so that you can remain pure, and then it's supposed to magically turn on when you're married, which we know now it doesn't. For a lot of women's sexual dysfunction is very, very high because our nervous system does not acclimate that way. That's not how the human body works.
Speaker 1: Did you have sex before your wedding at nineteen?
Speaker 2: I had an early sexual assault when I was thirteen that I interpreted as maybe my first kiss. I wasn't really sure. I didn't have anybody to talk to about that, and I had one kiss with a boyfriend otherwise, but no, did not have any real experience before my wedding night.
Speaker 1: After this brag, tea gets married at nineteen and her life is about to change dramatically, and then she realizes she was in danger really from the first night of that marriage. How did you meet your husband?
Speaker 2: Yes, So this big mega church I go to, or went to, is Jacksonville support City. So we have a naval port and he was a sailor that came in on a ship and attended our navy ministry. We had this big military ministry to reach the sailors for Christ. They come in for you know, community and to meet girls. So that's what happened. I went to a hay ride and he was there, and we met at a mixer near Christmas time. About four weeks later we were engaged. I didn't really know him, but he had decided I was the girl he wanted to marry, and I was in pursuit of a husband at that time. I was very open to this is the only thing I can do with my life is to be a Christian wife and mother, so I need a husband to do that. I was primed and ready to receive whoever said they were God's will for my life.
Speaker 1: Did having a job or a career ever occur to you or was that ever presented to you as a possibility When you say an agent girl, it's.
Speaker 2: A grief, you know. I share in the book how I learned to split myself. I had dreams and desires and opportunities and talents, and I had to learn to suppress them and stuff them down. They were not in accordance with what I was being told was the only acceptable outcome for my life, and it was unbearable to feel the loss of them. So I learned to stuff them away. And there was a season where I tried to I wanted to be an artist, and I thought, oh, if I'm an artist for God, I can do it. That's how I'll get through this. And that didn't work because I was chosen for marriage first and it just didn't work.
Speaker 1: You took about being chosen. Did you want to marry this guy? Was he nice? Did you like him?
Speaker 2: I didn't really know him. I did not feel attracted to him. I know in hindsight that if we had given it natural time, you know, to unfold, he would have shown his true character. He had behavior tendencies that were masked, carefully masked under charm, and that charm would have fallen away if we had given it more time, which he knew, and that's why he needed to secure me so quickly. So I was locked in very quickly and did not feel like I really had a choice by that point. You don't believe you can say no to a man or to God, and they are one and the same.
Speaker 1: So when he decided that he wanted to marry you, was it on an option to say no? Or you were like, yeah, I need a husband, Like why not?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, because I just feel for a little nineteen year old me who yeah, really didn't spend that much time thinking that. I think I project onto her that she wanted to say no, but I think that she actually didn't spend that much time deliberating. She'd been taught that you were going to say yes, and that's how you're going to know it's right. If you're asked, then you know it's right. And I was very practiced at shutting down my signals, my arguments, any resistance I had, and I instead funneled that energy into talking myself into it.
Speaker 1: Tell me about your wedding day. Did you like it?
Speaker 2: It's magical? I did love it. My parents went all out. My mom's just seems dress. She spent so many hours on my dresses and my bridesmaid's dresses. And we had a very traditional wedding, and it was near Christmas time the following year, and so it was just I took advantage of the whole season feeling festive, and we had a horse drawn carriage, and I had a cape, and it was romantic and candlelight and really beautiful. I mean, it was not smooth and without issue, but I was overwhelmingly really happy, and I felt like I was celebrating this launch into the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: You say you had a very traditional wedding. Before you walk down the aisle, your dad was like, are you ready, and you said, I can't see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My veil was heavy chiffon. I wanted it to drape differently than the bridal tool. Bridle tool is very puffy, and I wanted a romantic drape. So I picked this fabric. It looked gorgeous and photos and it looked gorgeous by day, but we were standing in candlelight, and so when we flipped it over my head, I couldn't see anything. It was a shrouded woman and I had to walk the aisle blind.
Speaker 1: Which was very symbolic, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: We ended up being quite metaphorical.
Speaker 1: Yes, your wedding night. What did you know going into it about what was going to happen on your wedding night?
Speaker 2: I knew that we would have sex. I did not fully understand what sex was. I knew there would be insertion of anatomy and that it would hurt, but that it would be romantic and loving and God designed, and so it would be okay. That I would be held in, caressed and cared for. We had a book by ed Wheat. It was called intended for pleasure. And then also like this is what they tell young fiances. We had been in an engaged class and had premarital counseling through the church, and so there was no real sex education or instruction or transparency. But they did, you know, set us up. We also read Elizabeth Elliott's Passion and Purity, which talks a lot about remaining pure until your wedding night so that you can give yourself as a spotless woman to your husband and you will be rewarded with great pleasure and married passion, and it will be beautiful and procreative and song of solemn and love of joy. That's a book in the Bible that talks about sexual pleasure.
Speaker 1: Sounds awesome. Is that how it went down.
Speaker 2: That's not how it went down. What actually happened is that I had three sexual assaults on my wedding night and no language to describe that or a way to ask for help or explain. And a week later I ended up with a raging infection and a doctor who shed light on the fact that there had been battery involved and violence. But I really did not understand what happened on my wedding night until a good fourteen years later when I was finally given language for marital rape and what consent means.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry that that happened to you. It's shocking, and when you talk about it in the book, it is so shocking. I don't want to make you relive it. But was there a part of you that thought, oh, this doesn't seem right. It sounds like maybe there there was no consent because you you his property as well. Consent wasn't something you even knew about, was it not?
Speaker 2: At all? That is not a word I knew until I was out of this marriage. Part of that is just culturally, we didn't have very much of a conversation around consent. The therapeutic language that we have available to us today has evolved because survivors and because of researchers and therapists. At this point, we're in nineteen ninety six. In the story, I did not have that.
Speaker 1: What does the term quiverful mean? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is based on a verse in the Bible. It's relating children to weapons, and if you're going into war, you want lots of weapons. So the verse says weapons in the hand of a warrior are children unto the Lord, happy is the man that has his quiver full of them? And so that is metaphor that child is an arrow, and you want a quiver full of arrows for your culture war against the West and against secularism and democracy, everything that the Christian nationalists and the dominionists are against in the Bible. Of course, this was the Psalm, so there was an actual war that they were talking about with the weaponry that they had available in Bible times. The quiverful mindset in the evangelical movement was promoted through Bill Gothard's institute. He did not author that. It's just what they latched onto because dominionism is their underlying theology. They want to dominate the world's government through population, so they want to have as many babies as possible without.
Speaker 1: Stop, which was turned into such a kind of a funny, quirky joke on fifteen in Counting or sixteen on counting with great doggers. But from what you say, there's something a lot more insidious about it. It's literally repopulating the world with a particular type of fundamental religious belief.
Speaker 2: They want white Christian babies, They want to dominate elections and population with an ideology that is not pro democracy. It is not equality or freedom. It ejected five's children because it reduces them to a number. And there's a host of lifestyle accommodations that come with that kind of backwardness that modern society would ordinarily reject.
Speaker 1: You were careful to say in your book that your world was not fringe. It was very mainstream, and that's how it thrives. Can you tell me more about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the Duggers again are going to serve as a really good example. This is a lifestyle. When we talk about it, the tendency is to say that it was fringe and extreme, except TLC put it on TV and it had many years of seasons and lots of money and millions of viewers. They promote themselves as a innocence and a wholesome aesthetic. That's very appealing and attractive because who doesn't love rows and rows of beautiful, obedient children and sweet babies. And the women involved want motherhood. I always say fundamentalism exploits the thing you wanted for yourself. I wanted motherhood. The mothers I knew all wanted motherhood. And it's the very vehicle that they are reduced by until sometimes the point of death.
Speaker 1: You say sometimes until the point of death. Do you mean that they are encouraged to keep having pregnancies, Because I thought this for a long time actually about Michelle Duggerh. I'm like, it's not safe. She'd had cesareans, she'd had complications, she was still trying to get pregnant and pregnant and have more and more and more babies. Are women really just seen as baby factories? Essentially, is that the role of women within this system.
Speaker 2: Women are seen as breeding cows, and they're interchangeable, and they die from things like ongoing uterine issues, prolapsed uteruses, early cancer diagnosis, exhaustion, depression, lack of resources, and then they're replaced with a younger model who will continue having babies. That happened again and again. We would see a mother die in her thirties early forties from essentially exhaustion related causes, and then replaced it with a younger a younger woman, and she'd continue having babies for that man.
Speaker 1: It's interesting what you say about also, so you've written about how the wives have to talk in a very quiet voice. I mean anyone who's heard Michelle Dugger and watch that TV show. It is so unthreatening and soft, and you write it's on purpose, like the trained childlike voice. Fundy women. Fundamentalist women are trained to adore their men by offering their rapt attention, even if he's an idiot, even if he's not saying much at all, even if you have an intelligent point to make. He's your head, he's a conduit of Jesus. He's amazing, and of course you're also his consumable resource. So don't be surprised if he's up in your business, undresses you with his eyes, wants to devour you, invades your space. Is that what your life was like? How did that play out well?
Speaker 2: In my case? I don't know if we can say fortunate or not. My husband really hated physical contact and sex, so in my particular case, he was not in my business very often. And it's a miracle that I had the number of pregnancies that.
Speaker 1: I had, because when you say in your to be clear, you mean sexual assault and rape by husbands of their wives.
Speaker 2: Right. I feel entitled to women's bodies, and they're raised from childhood to believe that. Most cases most of the survivors I talked to, frequent assault is just the norm, and they don't know any different, and they don't even know to call it that. Again, not vocabulary available to us. It would never dawn on us to say no, because we haven't been able to say no about anything else, and they've never heard something like if you can't say no, then you're not free to say yes. It's just they got married. Their marriage was consent, period. That's the world.
Speaker 1: Did you ever step out of line? Did you raise your voice talk to him in a way that wasn't adoring and approving? Because these women are also humans, So did that ever happen to you?
Speaker 2: This is part of my self preservation. Yes, it happened to me. My parents actually, you know, they're just they just took us to church. They weren't high control people themselves. I was a spirited child. I was raised to run an play and explore and do things like that, so being married to this did not come naturally to me. I was constantly at war with my expression, and I was also getting in trouble for things that weren't really wrong. So I was always trying to suss out where the line was what is small enough for you, because sometimes just my breathing could make him angry, or an expression and opinion at the table. You know, you're not supposed to have an opinion. But I'm somebody who is a lot. I am a lot of person. I am a lot of expression, and I have ideas and dreams and thoughts and opinions. And I was also the more mentally capable parent for my children. So a lot of times I didn't agree with what was going on, and I would push back for their sake, to be protective, and that usually would get me in some serious trouble in consequences. So yeah, I think that was descriptive of most of my years with him, that there's a stance happening between us.
Speaker 1: How so, enough to your wedding night, did you have your first child?
Speaker 2: I had a miss carriage three months after our wedding, and then I had my first baby. I was pregnant three months after that, six months after the wedding, so he was born the next year.
Speaker 1: How did having a baby and becoming a mother, which was clearly your job description and your purpose, how did that change the dynamic within your family and how did it change your life.
Speaker 2: It was also my dream. And so again I split in this way because I loved being a mom and I loved having my babies, and I wanted every single one of them, and it was always attention within me because I just because I wanted them doesn't mean I wanted one a year. I wanted to give my body a break. I wanted to give us, as a newlywged couple that was struggling some time in space to find our feet. I thought I had sound arguments for using contraception, and I did use contraception on the sly, even though I was heavily trained not too I was really trying for our health to not do that. And it also just really up to the stakes because now there's a child involved, and then children involved, and it's not just me anymore that's going to pay the consequences. And I so badly wanted to give my children a happy childhood in a secure home. So it just made me dig in harder. You know. It didn't have any way out, so there was not a lot of time spent dreaming of escape. I dreamt of salvation. I wanted someone to come save me and make it better. But I didn't dream of escaping because divorce is absolutely forbidden. They would probably rather you commit suicide than divorce, but of course they don't say that, but in general, if you die, it's a little bit nicer than if you get a divorce in that circle, so I didn't want to do either. I didn't want to die and I didn't have access to a divorce.
Speaker 1: Because women in the church were so consumed and are the ones that are still there of course looking after you know, up to a dozen children, sometimes more, but many children very close together, which puts an enormous amount of pressure. And often these women are very very young when they become mothers. What the church and the IBL pay tell you about motherhood and parenting. There was a list of things that you could skip. Wasn't there? How did that work? And what was on that list?
Speaker 2: So in my work today, I have a list. I started compiling that list, and I call the series things my Gothared fundamentors said I could skip to have a quiver full, because there was a whole long list of ordinary things that I took for granted that were part of child rearing that they just didn't do so that they could have more babies. If you did that thing, and it interfered with your decision to have more children. Then you stopped doing that thing.
Speaker 1: Can you read that list to me?
Speaker 2: These were forbidden? And I just warn you the list is jow dropping well, child visits and pediatricians, academics, haircuts, shopping, play dates, socialization, extended family gatherings, birth control, rest, mom friends, a second income, the entire concept of being a teenager, toys, snacks, education for girls, gynecological visits, consent, sleepless nights, privacy, the dentists, separate bedrooms, baby food, pants, voting, therapy, art, and debt.
Speaker 1: What do all of those things have in common?
Speaker 2: Oh, they have many things in common. One of the largest is mandatory reporters.
Speaker 1: So to keep you away from anyone who could alert authorities to what was going.
Speaker 2: On exactly, agency and ideas that you might have options. That's a big piece of the why you would not have academics in your homeschool. We weren't allowed to go to library. We weren't allowed to educate our daughters, you know, because why do they need college. They're going to be just wifes and mothers. So their education really stops around sixth seventh grade. And then they become just little mothers paramothers to prepare to be a wife and mother, and then there's skilled at being keepers of the home. We don't want our daughters knowing consent. We don't want our boys to feel like they need to ask for consent. The lists all has a very subtle sales process. I was like, shouldn't I take my child to the pediatrician? I should get them they're vaccines. No, you don't need to do vaccines, and you don't need to do well child visits because the pediatrician will pressure you to use western medicine, and we don't use that. We don't use doctors.
Speaker 1: You don't use doctors.
Speaker 2: Only in case of emergency.
Speaker 3: After the shortbreak, how one of the greatest losses of Tea's life was also her greatest gift and ultimately the cay to her freedom.
Speaker 1: You had four children very quickly. You actually had five children very quickly, but one of your daughter's, Clara I, died at nine and a half weeks old. Yes, I'm so sorry for the loss of Clara. That must have been impossibly difficult. How did that thrust you into the world outside the church, just because of hospitals and doctors. She was born with a heart condition, wasn't.
Speaker 2: She yes, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, which is where just half of the heart develops. After she was born, we traveled out of state to have surgery, and so I was immediately immersed into a world where women could be doctors, women had jobs, women used childcare. I was alone and apart from my husband, I was apart from my babies and my mentors. We were in a completely different environment and believed that we were on the way to wellness. You know. It was definitely with that mindset that we were going to get better and go home. And I include her story in the book the way that I do because the entire experience of Clara absolutely broke me open. It broke the spell of mind control. I had never lost anyone before I lost my daughter, so it was just jarring and shocking all by itself, all for the reasons that anyone can imagine and when you lose a child. But the experience was so complex and it was impossible to box myself back up after I could not be the person I had been, and there was a great demand on me to become that again. When I got back home. There was so much pressure on me to not grieve too long, you know, don't make people uncomfortable with your grief. Get back to business quickly, have another child, give God all the glory. And I just couldn't box myself into that anymore, as she made that impossible.
Speaker 1: And there was no therapy. No in that list that you recited, mom, friends, you couldn't even talk to other women.
Speaker 2: No, And if I did, the only women I would have been speaking to were my mentors, who would have been schooling me to more practical activity and husband obedience. Like there's no compassion, empathy, friendship to.
Speaker 1: Her, it's the Handmte's tie.
Speaker 2: Well, I call my story the prequel, the real life prequel to the Handmaid's Tale. And it's important to note that Atwood used real Christian fundamentalist groups as her model, like she didn't make that up. Everything in her books already happened.
Speaker 1: What did the church teach you about discipline and obedience, both of your children and of yourself high control?
Speaker 2: It has to have a method. So one of the things that's true in patriarchy is it's very fear based, and they're terrified like these fundamentalists are not evil, crazy people that want something different than the rest of us. They are just like you and me, and they want comforting answers, they want reassuring binaries, they want organization in times of chaos, and they want happy families and successful children. And so they're convinced that if there aren't this high control model, their children will go bad, and that they will lose them into a lake of fire. The stakes couldn't be higher, because it's an eternity in hell. And so all of that convinces parents to do whatever their authority tells them they need to do. And there's no shortage in patriarchy of resources encouraging parents to treat their strong willed child, you know, with a rod of correction. This environment that I was in and that is just so alive and well today. One teacher really does lead to another, and one book leads to another, and so the ideas in one book will build off of that and take you to the next level of extremity. And while everyone may not achieve that far and extreme where in my story it includes disciplining wives as if their children and wife's banking and maybe not everyone experiences that A lot of them experience a lot of harsh corporal punishment of children and on the very beginning of the spectrum babies because Michael Pearl's books talk about switching through blanket training, which begins at four months old.
Speaker 1: What's blanket training? Can you explain what blanket training is?
Speaker 2: Yes, Blanket training is a behavior modification practice that begins in infancy. So as soon as the baby starts to move, put them on a blanket, and every time they try to crawl off of the blanket through a normal child development of exploration, you stop them and swat them and tell them no.
Speaker 1: When you say swat, does that mean hit?
Speaker 2: Yes, you hit them with any kind of switch approved switch. So they recommend it a twig, a stick, a twig, a piece of plumbing, PVC plumbing, pipe, glue sticks, flexible craft glue sticks. There's a number of implements they recommend. But you start as a baby and you teach that baby to not move unless you've.
Speaker 1: Given it permission. My god, it's barbaric. It sounds illegal. Is it not illegal?
Speaker 2: It should be, Oh, it should be. In America, spanking children is legal and children have died from it, but they are still publishing, and they are still practicing. And this movement fights very hard in court to protect parent rights over children's rights. So in the Christian page rich children have no rights. Neither do women, and so that's not the mindset they're operating from.
Speaker 1: You mentioned wife spanking. Did that actually happen to you?
Speaker 2: It did. It's a practice called Christian domestic discipline. I said in Chiny Happy people like a careful read of these books on discipline, Michael Pearls to train up a child, being an example of many. They don't have an age limit on when you should stop spanking your child. So if you listen to survivors of these movements, you will hear older daughters spanked by their fathers into their young adulthood, and you will hear wives who have been spanked. It is tied up in the theology that tells a man that he's responsible for everything that happens in his home and he's answerable to God for all of the behavior. And so that's how it's sold that you need to hold her accountable and train her because her choices are going to reflect on you on judgment day.
Speaker 1: Women can't vote, can they? They're not allowed to vote.
Speaker 2: It's not as clean cut as that. I was not allowed to vote, and they don't prefer women to vote, but they will utilize the female vote if the popular numbers are close, and in American elections lately they've been very close, and so women are allowed to vote, but they're expected to vote in compliance with their head of household.
Speaker 1: So that husband tells them who to vote for. Yes, you mentioned how Clara then losing her cracked you open. Was there a definitive moment when you decided that enough was enough?
Speaker 2: It took me seven more years to reach that point. I really came home from the hospital with this endeavor to be the best Christian wife and mother I could be. I felt emboldened in my faith. I felt empowered by christ. I felt like I'd seen an example of strength and power and that I could color inside the lines, so to speak. And that really did work to a point. I had two more children after Clara, and four more pregnancies. It was life, you know. I did not realize that there was not an entertaining again of getting out. It's till depth of you part, even if it's at his hands, And it did come down to that. I think one of the traits that I have as a Christian girl groomed to people please and fawn. I tend to stay in environments longer than I should. I can see the writing on the wall, and then I lack the courage to save myself and take myself out of that. It's a life discipline I'm working on, and this is the biggest example of it. I had to get to a place where he was about to kill us. I had to realize I was grooming the next generation of abusers in order to put my foot down and say enough is enough. And then when you try to leave an abusive person, it becomes much more dangerous and violent, and that's what happened. Then violence escalated.
Speaker 1: You wrote in the book that as you began to find your power, your husband reacted very badly, and you wrote balance was a delusion. As I became more independent and healthy, high control, religion and domestic abuse tightened their grip, my husband became more erratic and dangerous. You know. October of two thousand and seven, things came to a violent head and I narrowly escaped with my children in the middle of the night. What happened on that night if it's not too distressing to recount.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm going to give you like the high level version. I knew that I had to leave, and I had been making arrangements to leave the next day with my children while he was at work. We had gone trick or treating, which was the first time our children had participated in Halloween and was part of a kind of new progressive community that we were in, and I felt like excited that they could do that, you know, I didn't want to take that from them prematurely. So we had gone trigger treating, and after we got home, he had some sort of psychotic break. I really don't have good language for what happened with the inside of him, other than that he snapped. He held me hostage for four hours with the length of firewood, threatening to kill me and kill the children. And then he suddenly left, and I heard a voice in my head, in my mind, my heart that said run. So I packed us up, grabbed the laundry and the children and my laptop, and I left. And he had gone to his office to get his gun. So if I had stayed, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. We drove away.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, how old were your children.
Speaker 2: Then ten and down ten to two and a half.
Speaker 1: How old were you thirty three? And you mentioned grabbing your laptop. There was a group of an online group of women who became your lifeline and really showed you the door and the possibility that there was a way out. How did you come upon them and how did they play a role before that night happened?
Speaker 2: Way back, we go back into the timeline to when Clara died. Just after that, my oldest was old enough for homeschooling, and I had stumbled on the homeschooling forums that had just formed. The Internet was brand new, you know, we were all pioneers in this new technology. I had a way to connect the outside world from home. And it is a big, big through line of how I survived this mentally, how I educated myself and the connections that I made that were outside of the religious groups that we were in. And they were other Christian women going through very similar dynamics with different expressions. Like none of them were like in as much high control as I was, but they had toxicity in their marriages, and they had family dynamics where we could relate to one another and talk in a real way about what the kinds of things we were facing. And I had also started a business by the time I left, a blogging business, and I had a successful website at that time. So I grabbed my laptop because I knew my livelihood was in it in all of my contacts, and those women helped me hide. They sheltered me and took me in. And I do believe I know that we're seeing this again. There's underground railroads forming of women connected to women, helping one another out of dangerous situations, and in America, you know, helping women get abortions, helping women find health care and resources and get out of domestic violence. So they saved my life, they really did, and they kept my children's world somewhat balanced during that time.
Speaker 1: Was there a moment where you thought, Okay, I've done it, I've left and I can't return to that life.
Speaker 2: It was that night. Yeah, that was done. It was a complete severance.
Speaker 1: And what happened after that? What was the next twelve months like for you and your kids?
Speaker 2: We had to go into hiding. We started divorce proceedings, which had to be separated from the custody proceedings because those required forensic investigations. The violence continued, and it was about a ten year process of all of that. You don't get divorced cleanly from someone like that and easily. But I was also going through trauma therapy through those years and putting my life back together. I mean, I really did set to healing, raising my kids, securing my employment, getting on my feet, and I had it in this context that this bad marriage happened to us. It wasn't till years later in therapy when I had to start reversing my decision making process and exploring what made me make those choices in the first place, what made me go along and comply, And that's what led me to the religious trauma and understanding the grooming and conditioning I'd been part of as a younger woman.
Speaker 1: How do you unbrainwash yourself, because essentially you've been brainwashed since the age of ten about even how you think. One of the things that struck me so much in your book, you told me, You told me, you wrote that you couldn't even write a journal because you didn't even have any privacy of thought. You were worried that God would see it, or that your husband might find it. Because you had no right to say no, I don't want you to read this. How do you undo that?
Speaker 2: It's a mixture of big BINGI growth spurts, and then a lot of careful day to day retraining rediscovery. I prefer like to emphasize curiosity and question asking and meditation. I have come up with my own steps of recovery and my own process of and I've had breakthroughs along the way that I'm writing about now. But there were also giant moments, like when Clara died. That was a giant moment where a lot of the spell was broken in my mind and I was curious and wanted to learn. And then there were harder times where I have deeply embedded patterns of fawning and people pleasing and cooperation, and I have to really work on situation by situation and carefully with a therapist. So it's a little mixture of both. But I did not accept that. I wouldn't heal like I want that from my life.
Speaker 1: Well, this is not the end to your story, not by a long shot, because it takes a lot more than leaving a marriage to leave a cult. How do you unbrainwash yourself? How do you trust again, find love again, and learn how to be a grown woman in a world that you'd been kept apart from for so long. And what is ta you think about tradwives like Hannah Nielman in Ballerina Farm who are trying to sell this life to a whole new generation of women. There's so much more of this incredible conversation, more than we could share in one episode here. So if you're not already a Mum of Me a subscriber, let this be the episode that makes you one. I'll put a link in the show notes and I'll see you in Part two.