Speaker 1: We acknowledged the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Welcome back, shitters. Oh gosh, it's good to be back. It is a brand spanking new season and error of your all time favorite podcast, Eat, Sleep, Shit, Repeat, your unhinged podcast about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between. I'm Kelly mccaren.
Speaker 1: We are back baby, not officially yet in studio. I'm Kiries and I'm currently have a baby not attached to me right now, but any moment now she is going to wake and attached to my very engorged, mastitis filled right breast.
Speaker 2: Oh poor thing.
Speaker 1: I'm on the front line here for the shitters, but we're back in front of the mic, and I am so excited to be using my brain in a different way. I can't tell you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, if you are new here, welcome And if you missed us, welcome back. We really missed the show too, and the messages I've been receiving we've been off really reminded me just how important it is and the impact that it's having all over the world. Now. Really, there's been a couple that I've sent through to key from like random locations that she's like, Oh, whoa, We've got shit is everywhere.
Speaker 1: I know, Isn't it cool? That's what's so fun about podcasting, Like you never know who is listening. Speaking of though, can we actually take this opportunity, just at the start of a brand new season, brand new show, to kindly request that you go and leave us a rating and review. We want to make the pod bigger and better than ever, and we really need the Shit has helped to do so. So it's super easy. You just find us wherever you listen to your podcast, So right now, wherever you're listening, scroll down, make sure you're subscribed, and then leave us a little rating and review.
Speaker 2: So, with this new season and era of the pod, I love the word error. I know that it's era, but I like saying error just error more impactful. We are going to try to do things a little bit differently, and of course you are welcome to share your thoughts and feedback.
Speaker 1: Yes, So after a few months of this new format, we're going to be putting out the feelers to see what you're thinking and see what the general consensus is. Because if the majority of our shitter is aren't vibing the new format. Then we're going to switch it up again. We just want the show to grow and evolve as we are growing and evolving too.
Speaker 2: So today's episode is going to be a standalone catch up episode in probably some pretty curty glory because it is us, we will update you on exactly what the fuck has been going on.
Speaker 1: And then from next week our monthly rotation of episodes will start and it's going to revert back to the start every four weeks. So if that's confusing, don't worry. We're going to run you through it.
Speaker 2: So the first episode of every rotation will be a good old fashioned rant, probably one of my favorite things to do. This episode will kick off with both of us doing our weekly peek and pit.
Speaker 1: Then can I just be a bitch for a sec? This was actually inspired by one of my favorite podcasts that I listened to called Las Culturistas. Shout out to them. Obviously they're not going to listen, but we have to give credit where credit's due, and we're going to link them in the show notes so you can start listening to them because you will love So the rant will go for like mac sixty seconds and it's timed and it's about something that we are annoyed with, about motherhood, about something that's happening with our little ones and.
Speaker 2: Our life, really like something's just really grading on us.
Speaker 1: Just relatable stuff that we are talking about, and then we're going to debate or have a little bit of a discussion about the topic in question. We will of course take turns, but I'm going to be kicking off things next week because it's only fair that I get to rant about the fresh hell that is going from one to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sort of trumps like what's going on in my life, which is just my cat who insists on urinating where she shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not good.
Speaker 2: To fix, really really annoying. I need help. Then the next episode will be I just don't know if I care. So every month, once again we'll bring article, a study, a report, or you know, TikTok video that's really conversation provoking and thought provoking and something that people really seem to care about but we just don't know if we do, so are we interested or does it boor us to sleep? This will also just be a really good deep dive for shitters who can't be ass looking into things and want them explain to them in like a really easy to digest way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm always like, let's talk about the study and Cal's like that's boring, and I'm like, but someone might care. So then also originated from.
Speaker 2: The idea is that we've got to make it interesting exactly exactly at the end, we just go nas still don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I don't care, but thanks for your work done. So the third episode will be shitter Led. We're going to have a guest joining us and they'll be kicking off a convo with their sixty second bitch about something before we have a good old fashioned yap and yeah with them about it. So no experts unless they're super fun and interesting. We're just going to be getting on your regular Joe blows, friends of ours, people we know that are going through the same things. Hit is, Yeah, shit is, shit is.
Speaker 2: Finally, every month our rotation will finish with an episode dedicated to drunk parenting advice with us, except we're not always going to be drunk because sometimes we might be recording at nine am on a Tuesday and no judgment. But yeah, you know we're not on holidays. No, you loved the Unhinged solo app I did, so we're going to make it into a regular thing. This is the one episode per month that we won't have a peek and pit. We're just going to drive straight into your conundrums. Questions please if you will, and you can submit your questions via the link on our install It'll just live in the bio and it will always be completely anonymous. Yep, exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's the plan and we're really excited about it. But as promised, we kind of need to catch up. There's a bit that's been on, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: We have so much to catch up on. Okay, key, what the hell is going on in your life?
Speaker 1: Oh god? Well, I'll start off with the biggest thing, because as if having a newborn whilst also having a toddler isn't enough, We are trying to buy a house.
Speaker 2: Yay, And are you feeling really defeated? Yes or no?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. We are in our fifth month of looking for a house. We have been every single Saturday, bar the weekend of Rou's birthday to open homes, and I've been going during the week and we have come really close twice. The first time, I don't think it was our house the second time was our house and someone stole it from us, so that's pretty hard to get over. But my God, like it really opens your eyes up to the process. Like everyone says, it's one of the most stressful things you'll do in your life is buying a house and having a baby, which we've decided to do both at the same time, which is.
Speaker 2: Very stupid, which we know.
Speaker 1: But literally my apartment is I hate it. And I don't know about UKL but like when you're living somewhere.
Speaker 2: That you just hate, you want out.
Speaker 1: I want out, And because it's also where I work, I just don't have a sanctuary. And because I'm here all the time with the baby and working, it's just a little much. So I think it's the stakes are a bit higher. I've also been through a complete identity crisis because spoiler alert, we cannot afford to live on the beaches in Sydney. It's just not attainable for us, so we are going suburban outrageous, So it's also been a bit of an identity crisis. But I'm feeling really good about the area.
Speaker 2: Key is so funny with something she messaged me one day, She goes, do you know much about this suburb, and I was like, oh, yeah, I've got a bunch of friends that lived there. I used to live like two suburbs from there. It was really great bub bluh. And she goes, oh, I just don't know. Maybe I'll get in touch with that person and talk to them about oposed. Like I've never met someone that's just like, oh.
Speaker 1: No, it's really okay. But this is my reasoning, right, It's like I grew up in britzee shout out to Brisbane, we love you. Have lived in Sydney for ten years, have only lived in the same suburb for ten years.
Speaker 2: So whereas I've always chopped changed suburbs exactly, I've lived in the most rogue Sydney suburbs, which I think is the right way to do.
Speaker 1: With anyone that's moving to Sydney who I chat to, I'm always like, biggest piece of advice. I really regret not moving around when I didn't have like ties like now, when the thing that kind of decides the area that we want to live in is like, is there a sense of community.
Speaker 2: Are the schools great? Like?
Speaker 1: Where are we zoned? Like all of those really sensible questions. Whereas when you're younger and a bit more agile, you can live where it's really cool and fun and edgy. Like right now where I live, it's like, on a Saturday night going out with a baby and a toddler, I'm walking into a freaking night club on the street. It's just so not good. So we had a big weekend. We were looking at houses in the suburb that we want to move to, and we had our friend's birthday party who they live out there as well, and we would just honestly, it's the best day I've had in so long. Even though I had mass status and was like in paying serious pain the whole time, it was so nice being in our suburb that we're hoping to move to. And then we came back to our house and we were just like fucking the suburb.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, the news is were buying a house but haven't found one yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think I've worked with different people that have been like on the auction circuit before and it just seems awful, like weekend after weekend, Yeah, which is why I stopped before I even really started looking like we were looking, but we didn't actually, like ever go bid on something or go speak to a bank. And I still sometimes have a peek at real estate dot com just to see what's.
Speaker 1: How addictive is it once you get into the hang of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, with everything that's been going on with my nanny, I just was feeling like extra sentimental about keeping her house, and yeah, I get that I don't really need any more, like we could really use it, but like that's we don't need it. And yeah, so that's sort of been put on hiatus for a while. But I do at some point need to speak to someone about money because I've got no idea what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, financial advisor, I reckon that's a good good step for that. I luckily have Charlie, who is in finance, really good with money. He knows what to do. But if we were not together, I would be getting definitely a financial advisor. You just want to make sure that you're making the right choices with your money, and they don't teach you that stuff at school, so it's like you have to find someone who is going to educate you and give you tips and tricks on what to actually deal with it to make your money grow.
Speaker 2: But I'm not very good at spending money. On things that bore me, which is why I still don't have a proper accountant. I've given you my accountant's name, and I'm just so like, I hate spending money on things that are boring, Like I'll spend the most outrageous money on things that are fun and like pretty, but on anything like that that's going to benefit me more. Nah, hate it, hate it?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess because it's not a house is tangible because you'll be living in it. But I get what you mean. It is snoozy. It's like when you're You're Red Joe, You're like, oh, this is annoying, but I've got to do it or else I can't drive my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I need to update everyone on my beautiful nanny because.
Speaker 1: I'm still like people of wanting to know what's going on. Dying.
Speaker 2: It's not funny, but Gallow's humor it is like a little bit funny. So, like six weeks ago, the doctor said, yeah, she's dying. There was the palliative like little sign on the door at the aged care thing. Everyone was sitting with her around the clock, like she did not have long Yeah. Sometimes you know when you just do things and then you look back on it and you're like, oh, for goodness sake. So at one point I posted this like sad little video on Instagram going, well, it's Nanny's time and it's time for her to go. And now it's like six weeks later, well she's still here, duh with no, she's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but cal those were real emotions in that moment, Like I was talking to you pretty much every day. She's a strong woman actually, and she's turned it around.
Speaker 2: This is why it's just so funny because her entire life, so she's got four boys. When they were all really little, she was in quite a bad accident and that's why she's got like this thing on her head. So she was in such a bad car accident for my first birthday. That was her first ever heart attack where she needed a triple bypass. What she since had a further two oh my god, like severe heart attacks with triple bypasses. She has emphysema. She had a fall so bad in Perth that she was in a hospital for weeks in her entire body like she was black and blue. She was in such a bad car accident that the other person in the car ended up dying. This was such a bad car accident. She's been in car accidents with me before. I had to save her from drowning when I couldn't even swim that well myself in the pool that my sister now owns. She got hit by a boss Kelly, I'm not joking. She got this as wild how it was in the paper local elderly woman hit by bus. She was fine. There is just so many things.
Speaker 1: She is so resilient, resilient, but and lucky and lucky.
Speaker 2: She's so lucky. But it is also really sad and awful because there's no way if she was of sound to mind that she would want to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's back up and at it, but not walking. But she's in a chair every day. Like they use this little thing. It's quite funny. It's like you know those things that they used to get sea creatures out of the ocean, like a little hammock almost, Yeah, that's how they get her in and out of bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, someone proll shamoo back in the ocean, and the nurses don't really get my humor. Anyway. So she's in the chair like she's got a catheter in permanently and like there's just no dignity left and there's no Yeah, she's just such a proud lady. And the dementia, you know, she doesn't know who I am ninety eight percent of the time, and I've got a good sense of human most of the time. Like, you know, she'll say to me, I've never seen you before and you're in my life, and I'm like, well, that's unfortunately not true. And you know, I'm so glad that I bother coming every day. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's one of those things where she's not eating and drinking that much, and I know that she's tiny and not doing that much, but I don't see how you can sort of go on for too long eating and drinking such little amounts. But yeah, it's just like this long, awful process. But my god, that lady is stubborn and resilient, and you know, she's my nanny through and through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's often I think, especially with dementia. I've experienced at it within our family, and it's often harder for the people that are left caring for them. I just don't feel like there's enough acknowledgment of that, Like it's really hard to still show up for someone every day, which you would do it in any circumstance, of course, but when they don't remember who you are, it's really difficult sometimes just to not not let it affect you deeply. So to have a sense of humor about it, I think is the best way.
Speaker 2: It's the only way. Key You've got to laugh, where you cry our life motto. Because it's also sometimes and that people don't really talk about. They can get quite cranky.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, because.
Speaker 2: They're very frustrated as well.
Speaker 1: They called it at my Nana's thing, they called it the like when it's coming sundowners sundown. Is that's right, Yeah, you wouldn't want to come at that time because it's awful basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I sort of have to go at that time. Well not at the moment actually, because she's eating a lot more and better. But there was a period like a couple of weeks where I went every single night for dinner to make sure that she ate some dinner. Yeah, because like even if I could just get her dessert into her, I was like, that's better than nothing. But like, yeah, she was shouting at me and like get away. I don't want it, and I'm like, Nanny, please, you have to eat something like for your own health. But yeah, anyway, and then I was thinking I was having like a big sob about it last night because I was thinking, Oh my god, imagine if I was her age and I didn't recognize Lenny, Like, it's dementia is fucked. It is the Yeah, it's really It's so cruel.
Speaker 1: It's really cruel.
Speaker 2: Because at the end all we have our people and our memories of our people. If you don't have that, you don't have anything.
Speaker 1: It's really heartbreaking. I remember my grandad got released from hospitals is when he was dying and basically there was nothing else they could do for him, so he was released into palliat of care. And my nana's dementia because of obviously he had this heart attack and that his end of life was approaching, it sped up her dementia, which often does when traumatic events happen. And I just remember standing outside of the room when we had brought them back together after he had been in hospital and she had moved into the home, and I remember him just like pleading with her to remember who he was, like I'm your husband, like you're my wife, like we love each other. That was the hardest thing I have ever heard, Like it was just heartbreaking, heartbreaking, and he had been living with her and her dementia. They had hidden it from us for years. We all had suspicions, but it never was told to us, and obviously when everything happened, it all kind of came out. It is the cruelest of cruel thing that can happen to you when you live a long life and you get to the age where you just want to enjoy life, and then that's what happens.
Speaker 2: It's just awful.
Speaker 1: So I really think of you guys all the time a lot, and I think, even though she doesn't remember you, you being there with her is just so beautiful.
Speaker 2: And she does sometimes yeah, yeah, Like there's usually because I ask her every day and I never like try to force it or anything, but every day I go, do you know who I am? And she most of the time is like she just laughs and she goes no, or most of the time though she's still sort of happy to see me. But then every now' they're familiar.
Speaker 1: I think they like they know you're familiar, so they know that you're safe, safe, and they.
Speaker 2: Don't really know who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It did break my heart though one day when I went to grab her hand and she sort of flinched, and then I realized, like, oh my god, she doesn't know, like I'm just a weird stranger touching her. Yeah. Yeah, fucked me like that was awful. But the other day she looks at me when I asked that question, she goes, you're my granddaughter, like it was just so, and it's like whenever those moments happen, she looks at me like I'm crazy, Like as if I wouldn't know who you are. Yeah, yeah, yeah, hello, Oh so I have to tell you something funny that I do when I'm stressed. Yeah, And because I'm currently recording this in lef his room because there's so much space. When I'm stressed, I get rid of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yep.
Speaker 2: So I sold. There was like a couple of days where people were just turning up because I was just selling things on Facebook marketplace, but I didn't have anything to replace it with. So now I'm just living in some pretty empty spaces with just piles of crap everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. You just want like quick things to make you feel good. So you're like, I'm going to sell this. I'm going to sell this, and you're like oh.
Speaker 2: And then I was doing some donations and oh my goodness, I have like a bit of a rant at some point to go on about Salvos and Vinnie's and the donations. But I was giving away some really good stuff and my sister was like looking through one of the bags and she goes, why are you getting rid of these? You love these. I just.
Speaker 1: Sit with you while you're getting rid of the things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I probably needed someone here when I was selling everything on Facebook marketplace. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: You were showing me Lenny's big boy bend. You're like, yeah, just don't look at the piles. There's nothing to put his things in. And I was just like, all right, I'm not gonna ask. I'm just gonna push through.
Speaker 2: Cute bed that was a few weeks ago. We're still here, and the bed also doesn't have anything on it because the cat keeps pissing on it. Honestly, she's doing my head in. Every time I make the bed, she pisses on it. She also pisses on Luke's clothes, like piles of clothes. But that's it. It's so annoying.
Speaker 1: It must be like a becuse.
Speaker 2: Men.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's some hormone that they release.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got to get a dsex soon, so hopefully that will help.
Speaker 1: Fuck, that's annoying. No, I can't deal with pee.
Speaker 2: It just it's disgusting. He I would rather pooh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pooh's a lot easier to deal with. We it just seeps into stuff and it seeps.
Speaker 2: And cat wi smells disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 2: It's like there dehydrated elderly men. That's how bad he is.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't need that. I could have done about that, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Anyway. I know that we're going to get into the going from one to two more in your round next week, but talk to us a little about like how you're going with wrangling and newborn managing businesses, dealing with the shit show that is life.
Speaker 1: It is not for the fainthearted. I think it is. Really it's really testing me. I think I have to say, like, we have got a pretty easy baby, and I think that had she not been easy I would have lost my mind, because I already did a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Over I wouldn't say that she's an easy baby. From what I've heard, she doesn't sleep independently most of the time.
Speaker 1: Well no, that was in her first weeks of being a baby, but now she.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't sleep in a cot or like at nighttime.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't sleep in a cot at nighttime. But this is all in like I feel like we're now she's gonna be thirteen weeks this week, still just over three months, so she's still a baby, not a newborn anymore. But I think in the first eight weeks it was rough because I was really trying to breastfeed and get everything happening with that. I was trying to learn who she was, and she was just a very clingy baby.
Speaker 2: Very different to Rue, very different to Rue.
Speaker 1: Rue was like really happy to be swaddled really tightly and sat down and she would just kind of go with the flow. But very quickly I learned that Suki just wanted to be on me. So it was a lot in the first eight weeks, I would say, is when it was extremely hard, because I think what happens is like you forget the newborn stage. So I had like blacked out or something that first bit, but everyone kept I.
Speaker 2: Think everyone does. And it was quite funny though when people would be like, oh, does Key having a newborn make you clucky? It all? But like talking to you every day, I was like, God, no.
Speaker 1: No, we were in the trenches. Like I can't even imagine had she not been a good feeder, had something else been wrong, because it was tough and she was a very textbook baby. Like everything I was saying to my midwife, which can I just it is obviously a massive investment and something that was such a privilege for me to be able to do. But having that midwife come every second day and every four days and every week for like six weeks postpartum was the best thing because I was going to her, is this normal? Is this normal? She's like, I don't know what to tell your key, Like she's gaining weight, she's really happy, she's looking good. She's just a baby.
Speaker 2: She's just a baby. And that was just so cute and smiley.
Speaker 1: She's so cute and smiling. She's just the most delicious thing. But that was the thing that I think was the most difference this time. It's like, obviously, yes, you've done it before, but it really doesn't mean anything because there's completely different personalities, right, So you don't get freaked out by like if they don't pooh for a few days, because they're like, okay, that's normal. So you're not as highly strung, but you're still really tired because you've got another baby as well to look after another toddler.
Speaker 2: But I wake having still.
Speaker 1: And they wake up still, and they get in the bed and the dogs in the bed, and it's like, thank god, you've got a king bed, because fucking I'd be sleeping on the floor if not. But I think what was so good is just reassuring that she's a baby, like this is all normal stuff, Like don't worry, there's nothing more that you can do. So having someone to remind me was like, yep, I've just got to lean into it. So I just leant into it. For the first three months of her life, it was like she only sleeps on me. That's fine, that's it. I just have to kind of get used to it. And also like trying to work, it was like I just have to go with the flow, Like if I'm recording a podcast and she's talking or yupping or crying or whatever. To not let it stress me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean fair enough. If she's crying, then you know you sort of have to press pause. But yeah, she's having a gurg or having a suck like, it's fine. And so I think it has been really hard.
Speaker 1: Like, don't get me wrong, there are days when I have called Charlie to be like, you've got to come home now. But it's more so the sleep deprivation and then having to deal with a toddler who is just turned three. It's just a bit of a recipe for a disaster. And I think obviously which you can relate to Kella's not having I do have my sister in law here who does help and is amazing, but yeah, but she's got two young kids herself exactly, and she works full time. So it's like it's not having a grandma around to come. That's the thing that's missing, you know.
Speaker 2: That. That and not having Charlie's mum this time around to call the way you did with U exactly, which I would have been heartbreaking as well, and something both to navigate over the past couple of months.
Speaker 1: It's just an added layer of because you're so happy because you've got this new baby, and they're just delicious and delightful. But there's someone that's missing out on and that has been there previously, and you know how excited they were to meet your baby and just to you know, take them off your hands when you're in the depths of being like, what the hell am I doing? But it's been good. Like as we've come out of the three months, I feel like once you get past that twelve weeks, it's still hard, of course, but I really didn't think so this time when it was leading up to the twelve weeks. I'm not gonna get to twelve weeks and it's all going to feel easier.
Speaker 2: But somehow it does.
Speaker 1: Like you just I think it's just a perfect amount of time for you to understand the rhythm of your baby. And obviously things change, but you know, I know that when she wakes up in the morning, I'm gonna feed her and she's going to do a big pooh straight away. I know that she's gonna probably want to sleep for forty five minutes after I drop real daycare. Like, you start to notice the consistencies and the patterns, and you're like all right, and then that gives you a bit of confidence to plan your day or I don't know, it's just what they say about getting to that twelve weeks that you know through the fourth trimester is really true. It kind of gives you a bit of breathing room to be able to get to the next bit. Although the adrenaline does run out, so I'm falling asleep during every night feed and waking up being like, shit, I've just fallen asleep, Like I've definitely the adrenaline's definitely worn off, but caught a bit of a stride. Do you get to nap during the day, No, because I've scot shit to do. Like it's not like when you've got one baby and you're like, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I never napped, obviously, I never napped even with one little baby. Bit yeah I wish that I had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was doing that in the early early weeks. But now I'll get I'll have a shit night and I'll be like, I've got to take a nap today, and the day just gets away from me. It's like, well, no, there's stuff to do. I've got to reset the house. A house is a mess like toddlers are so messy.
Speaker 2: They are so messy, they get their every single toe out, Like God, I'm obviously painting this with a very positive brush. Like.
Speaker 1: My most recent breakdown was in the middle of Sheridan. I was buying Rue a big girl bed for her birthday. I thought this would be so nice. It was a Friday, I had the baby, I had her. I'm going to take her out and we're going to get big girl sheets for your bed. I said, you can pick them out. Obviously, I was only going to give her the ones I liked, and she could pick from those. Yes, And we went to two shops and then I was like, why am I giving her like the options of shops? Like I kind of fucked up. I know that I did. Anyway, we get to Sheridan and I'm like, I'm just gonna get everything here. It's all forty percent off, it's all good quality, fine done. And she just ran circles around me. It was so bad, and I was so exhausted that I was weeping in the middle of Sheridan and.
Speaker 2: She screaming or just going crazy, just.
Speaker 1: Going crazy, running around, laughing, pulling things out of boxes.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, but not listening. To you when you were like, stop.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, not listening to me. Like the thing with Rue is like she isn't a hitter, that isn't anything I have to worry about with her, right, but she does not listen to me. So I will say her name twenty times in a row and she will not even look at me. And I cannot tell you how frustrating favory when you've spent a whole morning. So up until that point, I had said her name a million times, like just to get her to do basic stuff. And for me, I get really upset when things aren't fair. And that's something that I find really and hard about raising a toddler.
Speaker 2: It's like because they don't have that.
Speaker 1: They don't give a shit. And I'm like, it's like, fus fair, yeah, Like I've done everything for you. All I'm asking is for you to not take your arms out of your seat, bet in the car because I'm trouble, And then I can't duck drive the car, can I Because I'm gonna lose all my points, not to mention the bloody money that happens that you have to pay. But I had just reached my limit. It was like she does not listen to me. I'm out numbered, I've got this baby on me, my boobs are aching, and I'm just trying to do fucking nice thing for my toddler and she does not give a shit. So that was my most recent breakdown, and that was off the back of Suki just deciding for three days that she was not going to sleep like we had been sleeping. One thing will happen with the baby, the toddler will act up and all compounds. You've had no sleep and it's a bit of a disaster. But the toddler calms down, you get a solid couple of days sleep or not even think I got one good night's sleep, like Suki just went back to sleeping pretty well, like only one wake up a night. I couldn't put her down during those three days basically overnight, so it was like awful, But I just got one good night of sleep where I could put her in her cot and maybe work up once or twice.
Speaker 2: One or two feeds and then goes back to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one to three times I'm waking up overnight at the moment, so that's like standard. I can deal with normal, but then should go through something developmentally, and it was like I could not put her down. I'd put her down, turn the lamp off, She'd start crying, and I was just like, how am I going to sleep? I cannot sleep sitting up anymore.
Speaker 2: My neck is fucked. She still hate the snoop. Yeah, we sold it.
Speaker 1: We put it on and she screamed. She screamed, and I was just like, all right, we don't have enough space in the apartment, sell it, get rid of it. We got the side sleep all to toe and she liked it because she's so clingy, she has to be right next to me. I literally will walk into a room she's crying, Charlie's holding her. I'll walk into a room.
Speaker 2: And she'll go, ah, I can see her, I can, I can.
Speaker 1: I can smell her, like if I'm in the room, Charlie can hold her because she can smell me. But if I'm not there, it's just she's getting better, she's getting better. But it was really intense there for a moment. But what I was saying was that things can switch on a dime, but they can also switch back, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can recover with like a bit of sleep and a toddler that is being nice to you for at least, you know, and before they turn on you again.
Speaker 2: The not listening is driving me crazy as well.
Speaker 1: What are you doing because I bribe everything. You're not going to daycare unless you do this, And she's like, I want to go to daycare, and I'm like, well, put your shoes on.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to see. I have a bribery box, which I'm sure the experts you would have a lot to say about, but they're not here, are they. I am just at my wits end with the not listening to me, and I just said it in the way that I say it to him. I'm like, you need to listen. Yeah, listen to me. Oh my god. It drives me insane. And Luke has started night shifts. Oh, he hasn't started recently. It's been for like four or five weeks now, Yeah, which means that four five nights a week. It's just me. Okay, so I have to finish work early to pick Lenny up, organized dinner, bath, teeth, getting him to bed. Every single thing is on me. I'd say overall, I'm mostly fine, but there's some nights last Tuesday, he started whining at me in the car on the way home, and I literally just burst into tears because the thought of another night of just us ahead of me with no help, and just also I think I'd probably been by myself a lot during the day, so I was just like probably a bit lonely as well, and I was just so off it. Oh, it's so bleak.
Speaker 1: It's so bleak when you are down the barrel of a dinner bathom bed routine. It's all on the toddler as to whether or not this goes well exactly. And they're psychotic, and so it's literally it's not even fifty to fifty, I reckon, it's eighty twenty to whether there's no final reason, Like no, you know, you you could think, oh, well, if they did nap during the day, then maybe they'll be nicer at nighttime.
Speaker 2: No, sometimes he doesn't nap, and he's still an angel. Sometimes he has a long as snap and he's an absolute monster. Still. Yeah, And I really struggle not to lose my temper so much. I lose my temper, like I'm so not proud of it, but like, oh my goodness, it's just so to try to not just with a awful little monster.
Speaker 1: It's honestly so hard. I'm the same like cal I just get really like shouting. I'm like, don't do that. All of the good parenting stuff goes out the and I'm just there being like bribing it. And they lead up to her birthday. I canceled her party maybe one hundred and fifty times. You know, like you're not having a party. That's it. That is not good parenting. But they are so young, that's all they understand.
Speaker 2: My thing is, though, is that, like I say this to Luke all the time, I'm like, you need to give him a punishment that makes sense, and you need to follow through with it. However, I still don't actually know if that works because the few times that I have followed through with Lenny certainly didn't make his behavior any better the next day.
Speaker 1: Still no, and I think, like, I can't cancel a party that was never going to happen, you know.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, I follow her sometimes I'm pretty strict.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't, but do you know what I have done is that we do put her in her bedroom. And I know that this is a lot of people are like, you can't do this, but I think it's different to time out where they're like sitting and looking at an empty wall. I say, you've got to go and sit in your room. You can play with whatever's in there. But that's how I basically break the cycle of you're not listening to me, you're having a tantrum. It's reached like a ten and there's nothing else for me to do, and I myself need a break. So she'll send her room she wants. She just scream in there though, Yeah she screams, but then she'll pick up a book, start reading, coloring in and then I'm like, okay, have you come down now?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you ready to come back out?
Speaker 2: Yes? All right?
Speaker 1: Can we get Oh that sounds good.
Speaker 2: Then it's working.
Speaker 1: Well, it is working, but it feels wrong. Let me tell you. It feels wrong being like you've got to go to your bedroom. I think it's the smartest way to do it, to put a little bit of space between you both and just to stop the cycle of whatever the fuck is going on in their head.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I would do that, but Lenny literally will stand at the door, throwing himself against it and screaming no. He's an intense little kid.
Speaker 1: He's well, yeah, I mean the screams aren't great, are they.
Speaker 2: It's not good. How did you feel about returning three, because remember I made an entire episode learning turning through it. Yeah, I had so many feelings.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a little bit different to you, Like I like celebrating those things. I think I like creating those core memories. For me. It was really exciting this birthday, just because it's the first one they're really going to remember. Like I don't think they really remember two, but three. She's like, I want a ballerina party. I want a blue ey cake, And it was all she talked about for months, Like the month leading up to her party. It was like every day she would have a tandrum because she thought she was going to her party, but no, she was going to date.
Speaker 2: Because the concept of time is two minutes, four minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So next time, I'm probably not going to tell her until a week out. But it was awesome. I was so excited for her to have her birthday and for her to like to teach her you know that she's this many she's three, because we learned for weeks. I was like, you're two and holding up two fingers and then you're going to be three soon. So we were like learning that, which was really fun, and then the actual party, Like I was really proud of how the party turned.
Speaker 2: Out so good. Yeah, Kelly came, I did. Sorry. I came, and I dressed for the occasion.
Speaker 1: She came and she slaid. She came and she slaid in a full too. Two get up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I just tell you, I never look up somewhere before I go. Yeah, so I thought it was like a sports hall or something that you'd hire it. Oh okay, yeah, so I didn't think about like other patrons, you'd actually been there and I rock up and it's like a pub. Yeah. Yeah, it's like our little lots there. And I was dressed like a ballet teacher.
Speaker 1: It's true. But you were also like twinning with Charlie who had a full leotard, Radley.
Speaker 2: Who was best dressed. He was he was better than Rue even with her teeny tiny little bottom and cowboy boots.
Speaker 1: This is the difference between went men and woman. I'm like having a bit of a breakdown, being like, oh babe, I'm just so overwhelmed with this party planning, Like do you have any ideas basically like fishing to be like you're not even helping kind of thing. And he's like, yeah, yeah, like you know, I've got to sort out my tutu. I'm going to do maybe like a dance with her. And I was like, Babe, I'm talking about logistics, not about your outfit. I don't fit any of my clothes, Like, I don't really want to hear about your tutu that you're gonna buy to wear her party.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was the sleigh Dad move though it.
Speaker 1: Was, And you know what, I honestly think I've got the formula to having a kid's birthday party which isn't overwhelming and stressful. And it all lies and spending a bit of cash on a children the entertainer, because honestly, it takes the sting out of it for sixty minutes or however long you want the entertainer to stay based on what your budget is, they are centering your party. Basically the kids will all flock to them, and it means that you, as an adult hosting a party, are able to kind of move around talk to people for five minutes, say thanks for coming, catch up with them, whereas if you don't have a cholsres an entertainer. They're all kind of like running around in different directions and it's really stressful and you feel like you can't relax. But I felt like I could relax at that part.
Speaker 2: It's good. I looked like the children's entertainer, Well, she can just tire me. I'll just do it for you for free. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's three hundred dollars for sixty minutes. It's not a bad gig. When she was leaving, I was like, oh, thank you so much for coming, Like, do you need help getting to your car? And the whole time she was talking to the kids, she had an American accent. When she answered me, she was Australian again, and I was like, Oh, where's your accent from? And she's like, oh no, So we actually talk in an American accent because the kids listen to us more. It makes them pay attention to what we're saying if we're talking in an American accent. And I was like, what, Yeah, because I watched television, maybe if I call ruin an American accent, she'll actually listen to me.
Speaker 2: Do you know what, I will try it to Lenny brought back, Lenny, get ready for all out of time? Come on, can we tell that she is? What Lenny did? It'striddle's birthday body? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh god. I felt bad. But he had a good time. Apparently told me he.
Speaker 2: Had a good time, and I was like, are you sure? Yeah, he from the moment he walked in, he sat and glared and hid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you understand now why I don't like children's birthday parties?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, well, because you don't really get to have time to enjoy the party either, like you're yeah, you're sitting with him. He's just so shy and shy things. And I get it because whenever I go someone with real, I'm like, oh great, it's gonna be like half an hour forty five minutes before she let's go with me and then enjoys what we're doing. But that didn't finish fill in It.
Speaker 2: Was no, that did not. The only time he was happy was when we were on the football field kicking a ball, just us. Yeah, like he actually And then we went onto the play equipment, but no other children from the birthday party with hair and he goes, mummy. I say hello to like one random boy who then asked me why Lenny was wearing a dress.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because it was a ballerina party, so all of the kids were wearing two does.
Speaker 2: And that's so cu really cute. Well, even if it wasn't a ballerina party, he can wear whatever the fuck he wants exactly. And the thing that breaks my heart is that he was so excited, like he just gets so overwhelmed, and you know, but he kept being like, oh, where Strudle And I'm like, oh, Darling, she's busy actually having fun. She doesn't want to come and sit in a corner with you, like I.
Speaker 1: Know, but that's just, you know what, He's better in a one on one scenario, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: Like like if he's really comfortable and not too many adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a lot of Look, there was I don't know how, but I somehow, with a newborn, ended up planning a party for sixty people, twenty kids and forty adults. I was like, very chill about the party, and then I realized how many people coming and I was like, fuck, but it was fine.
Speaker 2: It was at a pub, so it was fine. Like it was fine.
Speaker 1: And again, the children's entertaining was great. Outsourcing your cake. Lucy and her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Job they al it. I mean, sorry, Lucy, but you didn't really do anything John John, Oh it was so good. Was it gluten free? Did you get to eat any Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was gluten free dairy free.
Speaker 2: You're joking. It was that good and gluten and dairy free. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She makes it every year the same. It's just packet mix actually that they get this awesome dairy gluten and dairy free one.
Speaker 2: It was so yummy. Lenny did enjoy his piece of cake. And he really liked the goodie bag. Oh yes, the slimy rag.
Speaker 1: I slayed the goodie bags. Can I just say, I've been going to a few parties and like the goodie bags. All the parents are like, can we not do goody bags anymore? Because they're just full of lollies, because that's what they're meant to be. But I was like, all right, how do I like make this different? So I went onto Amazon and I got these mini coloring in books, packs of stickers, I got some slime. I got some Plato, like not real Plato, like fake Plato that's cheap, all of Amazon and it was so good.
Speaker 2: And the cars there were some with cars because Lenny got on with cars, which he was thrilled about.
Speaker 1: And then I put a little nostalgia purposes, like a little roll up in there. For the sweet things, I thought, that's kind of like fun. We had them when we were kids.
Speaker 2: I think it's nice to have one sweet thing.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Yeah, But honestly, I was so proud of that birthday party.
Speaker 2: It's late.
Speaker 1: I have never enjoyed hosting as much as I did for that bay and I really liked it, considering how like that was also the day after, or the weekend after I had my breakdown in Sheridan, So yeah, there you go about.
Speaker 2: Did she clean up? I was really jealous of how many beautifully riped gifts she had because I love presents.
Speaker 1: Literally today I have to go out and buy a new storage container because she has so many gifts, which is so nice. She's so lucky, and all of them are like so well fought, like hell, the books that you got her very good, she's obsessed, very cool good.
Speaker 2: I got her an arrangement of activity books and normal books about Ballerina's.
Speaker 1: Very cute, very cute. And she also got a few dress ups. This time a couple of tea party sets, so it's so cute. But now I'm like, okay, well, currently all sitting next to me, I need to put these somewhere, so I'm just gonna go and buy some of those, like you know.
Speaker 2: She had so much fun and wrapping them all.
Speaker 1: It took us three days to unwrap the presents, like we would unwrap some every night, but because Charlie gets home late from work and he wanted to see her unwrap them, I'm like, yeah, Pattie gets home and then I'm like, all right, we really need to kind of go to bird now, so just do two. And it was good.
Speaker 2: I think as well. They get so overwhelmed with toys and new things, so that's probably a really good way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also I wanted her to kind of take stock of what she was getting. You know, have you ever seen the kids at Christmas and they just like rip one open and that moves straight on too the next because it's not so like and I'm like, no, no, no, let's just like take stock of what we've got and be thankful. I was trying to explain to her, like, not everyone as lucky as you are, Like you're very lucky to get these presents. But yeah, it was really nice, and it was so nice seeing everyone, I think is the main thing. So yeah, birthday parties, I'm still into them, and I'm not upset that she's three. I'm excited, like I'm excited to barn her personality for this year.
Speaker 2: You know. Okay, to finish up the episode, we always want to leave you with at least one good recommendation, because who doesn't love a wreck. So it's the author Noel w ill eh Hill. I don't know, we'll link her in the show notes. She writes horror books, and I read five when I was in Bali in February five. Wow. Yeah, I don't know why I was reading horror books while I was like on a solo trip by myself. That was probably a little bit silly. But you know, regardless, if you like horror thriller. But the reason I don't want to publicly recommend them on Instagram is because some of them are a little bit ooh why did your brain go there? Kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, do you know what I mean? Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I always think that about horror stuff. Though, I'm like, you have to be a sick person to write anything like.
Speaker 2: True true, but I think it's more so with supernatural. I don't know. Maybe I just I read a lot of thriller, but I don't read a lot of horror, and maybe that's very true.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just feels weird that I enjoy reading about that sort of thing. But there's obviously lots of other people enjoy reading horror. I enjoyed watching horror as well, so.
Speaker 1: New genre that people just love to be scared shitless.
Speaker 2: Not me anyway, Key resells, you have got a bassinetch. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk about this because I mentioned earlier that Suki came out and she immediately I just knew that she was going to be a clingy baby, that she was gonna want me a lot. And I never really heard much about co sleepers when I was pregnant with Rue. And I think we've got a bit of a culture when we have our kids that they've been inside of us for nine ten months, and then it's like we want them to sleep independently away from us, right, But it's not actually realistic. We Kelly and I have talked a lot about the fact that we have co slept safely in the safe way in which you can do so.
Speaker 2: I also co slept very unsafely before I educated myself on it because I had no one to talk to about it or no one to say hey, exactly.
Speaker 1: And I famously wrote in a girl's chat, who's co sleft? And no one answered me, and I was like, I'm the worst mother in the world.
Speaker 2: I'm me And I was like, oh, of course we all do. Here's some information so you can do.
Speaker 1: It properly exactly.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I had heard from a girlfriend of mine about a co sleeping basin at and I thought when Suki wasn't vibing the snoop, I also found that my anxiety with her, for some reason was quite high. I think it was because my whole brain was consumed by a toddler that I didn't feel like maybe there was enough room for me to, like, I don't know, keep my baby safe or something. I just wanted to see her at all times. And so I actually reached out to our friends at Aultuto, who you know, at the start of the year we did the sponsorship with for their lovely nursing chair that I'm sitting in now, which is just.
Speaker 2: You have become ash one with that chair.
Speaker 1: If you see me, I'm with the chair. We are one. And I reached out to our friends all because I had heard that their close sleeping bacinet, the Cozy Breeze Plus, was amazing, and I just said to them, hey, guys, like in the depths of my newborn state, would you be interested in me trialing this out and seeing if I like it or not. They were really lovely and they sent it to me. And I cannot tell you how good this crow sleeper has been. You can change it from just a normal bacinet on wheels to one that rocks. There is an attachment on it that you kind of put underneath your mattress so that the co sleeper does not move. There isn't like any way it can move. And it has a little side that you unzip that falls down so that you can basically your baby is level with you, so they can really sleep next to you, but separately in a bacinet. It's really good if you want to breastfeed sidelining.
Speaker 2: So the side comes off. I'm having a look at a photo of it.
Speaker 1: I'm here, Yeah, the side comes off, so it's mesh yeah, and the side zips down and then your baby you can just basically move your baby from your boob, you know, into her back over, Yeah, roll her back over. And for me, it meant that Suki, I just knew straight away she could sense me anywhere. So putting her into a basinet just wasn't working. It was too far away and it was disturbing her sleep. So being able to just pass her into the co sleeping bacinet, which is attached to the bed, was so good. And then I found that during the day I could wheel that bacinet into the lound room and have her next to me. Like That's how I was able to work in the early days, or even just like watch TV without having to hold her. The bacinet was really handy for that. So it's a little bit larger than your average like bassinet, which is good, so you get a bit more use out of it. And it's chic. It's a lovely color that looks good. It looked good in the room. But I can't recommend it enough. It's just an option to have that maybe you haven't thought of, because for some reason people don't want to speak about co sleeping in ways that they have been able to do that, and I just think it's the most genius way to be able to co sleep with your baby, have them next to you, have them in sight. It was really good for my anxiety with her. And yeah, we'll put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: And with that we will love you and leave you. She is. We'll be back next week with a truly great rant from key Oh where she shares exactly how she's found life lately navigating a toddler and newborn, so she will really go into the fresh hell and all of the feelings that poor Strudle has had. And I say poor Strudle, but I should say poor Key Yeah, us.
Speaker 1: Or both of us really our last reminder to please rate and review us wherever you listen, and make sure that you are subscribed, and share us with a friend. I think that's the easiest way to get the word out about the pod. If you love it, share it with someone else that might love it too. This podcast was produced by us Key Researls and Kelly McCarran, with audio production and general awesomeness by Maddie joannau See. And It's which it is.
Speaker 2: Bye, good to be back.
Speaker 1: Woo