Speaker 1: I got sacked on Maternityly, jess you didn't get sacked, you got boned the I cannot stand that word, and I wish people wouldn't use it because I find it so offensive.
Speaker 2: It has really stuck though.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm kateline Brook and my guest on No Filter today is Jessica Rowe. Jess has spent much of her life in the public eye as a journalist and TV presenter. She delivered the news into Australian homes for decades, but she also became the story. She was criticized for her laugh her appearance, her personality. She was publicly humiliated during what became one of the most difficult periods of her life. She became the face of a media storm that years later still resonates with women across the country. But what fascinates me about Jessica isn't what happened to her. It's who she became afterwards. Because somewhere along the way, Jessica stopped trying to be perfect. She stopped apologizing for taking up space, She started snorting again when she laughed. She stopped shrinking herself to make other people comfortable. Today, she's one of Australia's most recognizable advocates for mental health, the creator of the wildly successful Crap Housewife movement, a podcaster, author, mother wife, and perhaps most importantly, she's entirely herself.
Speaker 2: This is Jessica Rowe, jess Row, Welcome to lay Filter. Ah, you too.
Speaker 3: I think this is a conversation that's been a long time coming, because it seems to me that you've been such a presence in our media lives for a long time. But I haven't heard a lot of you on your podcast, which is great. I love some big talk. It's about the other person. This is about you, and you've not always been a person that puts yourself forward first.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's very say each of you.
Speaker 1: I think to say that because I'm someone who I think I'm never good at putting myself first. No, you don't seem like you are. I always look after everyone else around me. So it's an interesting question I think that you ask, and I think it's an interesting time that I'm at in my life now right, I'm fifty six.
Speaker 2: You just had a birthday. Happy birthday, thank you.
Speaker 1: And I mean I love getting older, I really do. And I know some people say, oh, what do you love? Because I'm more comfortable with who I am right and I'm a far happier person now than I was as a teenager, as a twenty something, as a thirty something, and really probably as a forty something year old.
Speaker 2: I feel that I'm coming more into my own You know, when you say you're more comfortable with who you are? Who are you? I am? You know what? I am?
Speaker 1: Quirky, eccentric, messy, funny, compassionate, warm, and am passionate about the people in my life. I'm someone who is unapologetic about chasing joy. I want to surround myself more and more with good people, and I want to do things in my life that fill me up as opposed to deplete you yeah, or things that you feel that you have to do. What's interesting about you that I never knew was that you've almost got an old fashioned start to the business in that you were a receptionist at Channel nine, a receptionist at the Wide World of Sports. Really I I did a journalism degree at Bathurst at what was called Mitchell College became Charlestad University. Loved it, absolutely loved it. Because I'd grown up in Sydney. I was very much a city girl, and I've had this opportunity to move to study and I was nervous because it was a big step. It was brand new living in the country and I'm so glad I did it. So I had a ball at Uni. I took a year off. Actually I took two years off because I deferred my first year, studied for two years, took another year off and traveled, and then it was really hard to get back to finish my degree. And I remember my mom's the probably but I remember Mum sage me. Now, Jessica, you do realize that most prisoners escape from jail when their parole, their parole is almost about to appear. Do not escape, you know you've done so much.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I went back to finish my degree.
Speaker 1: And I realized though, because I had done quite a lot of work experience over that time, and I knew I just had to get a start.
Speaker 2: And that start was a receptionist.
Speaker 1: Like I sent out video VHS tapes. This was in the days of your VHS tapes and of me networks or works still all sorts, you know, to news rooms all around Australia, and then and cover letters and then I got a sort of a job as a receptionist.
Speaker 2: I thought, well, you know what, I'm going to take this.
Speaker 1: It's a start, because someone had said to me early on, take whatever job you can get, doesn't matter what it is, get your foot in the door. And once you're there, then you'll meet people, and also you'll work out if you really like it, is this what you want to be doing. So I remember, though I was the world's worst receptionist. I'm not surprised because I'm not organized. And I got flustered. And this was again like phones that you'd have to push for runs connect people.
Speaker 2: And I would hang up on people all the time.
Speaker 1: And I knew nothing about sport. I hate cricket. I still hate cricket. It's so boring.
Speaker 2: I love Formula one.
Speaker 1: Now I didn't at the time appreciate it, but there'd be people ringing up wanting the latest results on this and that and yeah, so that that was my very first job.
Speaker 3: And yet you must have been there was something about you which must have been your personality, because it certainly wasn't your your technical prowess.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, yeah, perhaps it was my willingness to just give it a go, and I was enthusiastic. I've always been an enthusiast for life, and I think that's important. I don't know where, Well, where did that come from? My what was your upbringing? Where were you what was your family? And who were you in the family.
Speaker 2: I was the eldest.
Speaker 1: My parents divorce when I was younger, and yes, I was the eldest. So I was very much the capable one, the tap answer of the real you were.
Speaker 2: The cave Yes, I was. Can you believe it? Well, you see, you know what.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that, cake because I'm a lot of life skills I'm not capable at, but the big things I am very capable. So I'm capable in the emotional matters. But when it comes to oh my god, I've got to pay this bill, or I've got registered, Yes, I've got to register the car, like what, I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not capable in that way.
Speaker 3: So when you so after being a receptionist, who noticed you?
Speaker 1: Well, what I did when I was a receptionist on the weekends, I was what was called a production assistant, which essentially meant running around with paper scripts for the presenters. So I was wearing overalls cater but like you're wears, running the scripts around and there was a particular producer and I was chatting to him about what I wanted to do, and he said to me, why don't you put your voice on this script and we'll just put it to air because at the time with the Whiteboard of Sports that they had enormous programming on the weekends. There was Sports Sunday Wide, World of Sports, there was sports updates.
Speaker 2: So I remember it was the Stall Gift, which is like the.
Speaker 1: Race in the Race Yes, which I still All I know about the Stall Gift is that was my very first voiceover, and so this particular producer said to me, let's do it, and so I put it down and they ran it on a news update and on the Tuesday, no it was the Wednesday, because we get Monday Tuesday off because we work weekends. My boss called me in and said, along with the producer, I want to talk to you about this. And I thought, oh, no, I'm in trouble. And he said, I heard your voice on the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I went yes, and then he said, oh, you can keep doing that.
Speaker 2: So that was you're entree a beginning.
Speaker 1: But at the same token, I knew I was not a sportsperson and that wasn't going to be where I would keep working in the sense of I thought, well, here's my foot.
Speaker 2: I've got my foot in the door.
Speaker 1: And I was still sending out VHS tapes to people, and I.
Speaker 2: Ended up.
Speaker 1: Getting an interview with a beautiful man called Ken Beg who became a mentor of mine. And he was working in Canberra and he was head of the newsroom for Prime Television and he'd been a longtime Channel seven political reporter but he was now a news director and I happened he happened to see my VHS tape and he was looking for a weather presenter ah, and he got in touch with me, flew me down for an interview, and I mean a few things didn't happen in terms of someone else got the job, but in the end this particular person couldn't take the job. So Ken got back in touch with me and said, I'd really like you to have this role. So I went down to Canberra and I became I was a weather presenter and a reporter and it was the best possible job because Ken, I think if I didn't have him as a mentor, I wouldn't have stayed in television because he believed in me. He gave me confidence, he let me make mistakes. I remember doing her because I was like anyone when you first begin, you are not you have a lot to learn, yes, And I remember my darling like grandmother saying to me, because she had copies of my early weather reports, Darling, you weren't very good?
Speaker 2: Were you quite terrible?
Speaker 1: And I was like, actually, you're right, I wasn't very good because you had never done it.
Speaker 2: I've never done it before.
Speaker 1: But I remember with Ken there was a particular night where because the weather for people who don't know so is often that's the stop gap with Sometimes you don't have much time, other times you've got.
Speaker 2: A lot of time.
Speaker 3: That's where they cushion time wise, whatever's happening in the bulletin.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, so sometimes you've got a lot of time, other times nothing. And this particular evening, a whole lot of stories had fallen over, so I had a lot to do. And but when you get nervous, you speak quickly. And I remember Ken coming into the studio and I'll never forget it. I was like looking down the barrel of the camera talking and he was just off camera and he was there going like this to me, slow down, Yeah, it's okay. So he had me and he did that a number of times for me during those years, and so it allowed me to breathe and to believe in myself. And also beautiful Melissa Doyle was the newsreader and Meil was wonderful because she had had more experience than me, and she took me under her wing as well and gave me tips about because as well as doing the weather each night, I was doing two or three news stories a day, so it was a lot of work. And so she helped me with things to keep in mind when you're going out interviewing people and you've got to turn it around quickly. So there was a number of people who were very kind and also just just looked out for me. Right. So it was a great start. And you also had this work ethic, Yes, of course I did. I was ambitious and I still am ambitious. And I think as women sometimes especially that time when you're younger and in those decades, it's not a you're not encouraged to be ambitious or you can't own that's right, you have to act like la la la whatever. Yes, yes, yes, yes, And I knew that I wanted to be someone.
Speaker 3: What did you want at that point? Like, what would have been the dream? Was it what you ended up doing on the Today Show?
Speaker 1: Well, I think my dreams changed over time, and I think as you grow through life, what you think you want isn't actually what you want, And so yes, I think definitely, then my dream would have been to be on the Telly in a sort of a national role, in a significant role, you know what. At the beginning, when I was in high school and then doing as a receptionist, I think I would have I wanted to be an overseas correspondent.
Speaker 2: Oh, I had dream years of that, but then flat jacket. Well yes, but then I helmet Yeah, all of that.
Speaker 1: But then I had girlfriends who would just laugh and go, no, yeah, that's that's not you.
Speaker 2: But and the same beautiful girlfriends.
Speaker 1: One of them now works at UNHCR and I used to at UNI. I'd buy I spend my money on shoes, and I'd have no money left for the week for food, and so I'd go around to her.
Speaker 2: House and she'd feed me. That was the start of her do gooding, and it was.
Speaker 1: But also it was kind of this sort of difference of I had in mind that's.
Speaker 2: What I wanted to do, but really is that what I wanted to do?
Speaker 1: And then you ended up being a news reader? Yeah, then I ended up so yeah, I did the weather. Then I moved to Melbourne where I was a reporter at GTV, and during that time I really.
Speaker 2: Thought I'm going to leave.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do this anymore because it was not what I had imagined it would be. Did not like it at all. It was a really tough news room. I'm not someone who felt comfortable with the style of reports. Doorstops sort of right, well, it was, I mean that awful phrase death knocks, where you would have to go.
Speaker 2: And talk to people who had just lost a loved one.
Speaker 1: But what was very wonderful about that time is the crews that I worked with. There were some wonderful people that I worked with, some beautiful women in that newsroom, and we supported each other through quieter mucho environment. And so say, for example, with those death knocks, we would remember the crew saying to me early on we just call it knocking on the grass, so you don't actually go and do it. So essentially you just drive, you drive the news car around, you park outside the person's house, right, and you wouldn't do it, right, You tell your boss you did it, and they weren't there, Well exactly, Yeah, no one answered the door. So that idea of knocking on the grass was literally, yeah, you weren't knocking on their door.
Speaker 2: And yet you're a very compassionate person.
Speaker 1: Which was why I was not going to be knocking on someone's door who had just lost someone, because I think you are exploiting someone at the very worst time in their life, and that's.
Speaker 3: A very I mean, there are people who would say, well, that's the news and that's the job of the news, but it's not the news.
Speaker 2: But also it's.
Speaker 3: A very macho kind of thinking behind it. That also seemed to infect the whole probably the whole industry at that time, I imagine. And was that where you had incidences of sexual harassment? Yes, that was that same environment. How did that come about? And who were you in the context of that, very different than you are now? I was.
Speaker 1: It's a difficult thing to kind of think about it because it, unfortunately is something that has happened to far too many women. And it was at a time when you didn't feel you could speak up because there was a sense of you are so lucky to have this job and if you make waves, you will lose your job. And I remember, though, calling a very senior person saying, this has just happened to me, and what was it that had happened? Well, it was I had been It was sort of very narrow corridor and a particular man sort of rubbed up senior. It's very senior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always yes, yeah, okay, basically rubbed up against me.
Speaker 1: And it was one of those things where you think, has that happened? Have I? And it's that thread that so many women say, have I imagined that?
Speaker 2: Or was that just an accident? But it wasn't an accident.
Speaker 1: He really pushed his body up against me, and I was in a situation that I couldn't get out, and I remember the editor saying to me, are you all right? And I was like, ah, oh, I think so, but but it was awful, and and I called a very senior person and said this has happened, and it was then put back on me, well, what do you want to do about it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I knew I had to be quiet, and or I shouldn't say I knew I had to be quiet, but it was made clear to me.
Speaker 2: There would be a cost and you would be paying it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was There'd be a consequence, and so it made me think, do I want to raise my voice about this? And what is so infuriating is I'm someone who I do raise my voice, but that's a voice that I've over time become more confident using. And I look at my daughters who are seventeen and nineteen, and they what I love is they raise their voice. They call stuff out and in a way that I did not have the confidence or the courage to do. Like when my daughter Allegro, who's now nineteen, when she was fourteen, she was out to dinner with a girlfriend and they were walking in Bondai, walking past a restaurant and there were these much older men sitting there looking them up and down and calling out to them, and Allegra basically turned round and said to this man, and I don't swear, so I'm not going to swear. But she said, get ft, how old are you I'm only fourteen.
Speaker 2: At the rush.
Speaker 1: And she told me that, and I was just like, oh, my darling, Yes, I mean there was two things.
Speaker 2: Actually, what would fourteen year old you have done in that?
Speaker 1: I would have scuttled away, Yes, yes, I would have thought, oh that's terrible, oh and sort of scuttled away. But there was a part of me that was I was thinking too with allegra, Oh no, be careful, because you don't know then if you yell at someone, what is there going to be how they actually reacts. Yes, But she said to me she already had a cupboard. She's like, mum. It was in a public place, those people all around, so and she said to me, I'm not going to let him get away with that.
Speaker 2: I'm fourteen. He was, you know, twenty plus years old. How disgusting. I do love it that.
Speaker 3: Our daughters, our collective daughters, stand on our shoulders because we have learnt how not to be. Yes more with Jess Row coming up. When you started on the Today Show, which was two thousand and six, which seemed like yes, yes, world, here I am glorious and ended up being a steaming part of murd.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you see, well Allegra, though Allegra wasn't born then.
Speaker 3: Right, So that was when you took the maternity leave. You were pregnant with Allegra exactly. So I got sacked on maternity leave, Jess. You didn't get sacked, You got boned.
Speaker 1: The eye cannot stand that word, and I wish people wouldn't use it because I find it so offensive.
Speaker 2: It has really stuck, though, do you know what I mean? Because no, no, it's stuck as.
Speaker 3: A concept because the word itself denoted the truthfulness of what you were saying. Do you know what I mean of your experience? Because it was such a strange expression that at the time I wasn't really familiar with.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I hadn't heard it, and so you knew that it was in fact what had happened.
Speaker 3: But we've gone ahead of ourselves here because I'm struck by what you said earlier about who you are as a person, and I would take these things to be strengths. Your vivacity, your quirkiness, your colorfulness, your fine feathers of a fine bird. When you started the Today Show, which was with Karl Stefanovic, he was new to the role who had been doing it before him, and then before you Tracy Grimshaw, Oh okay, and she'd gone to do a current affair and he had not been doing it for particularly long himself.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So I think I think he began with Tracy okay, all right, and then you got the gig.
Speaker 3: Now this reminds me of you know how people always say about a boat, it's the best day of your life and the worst day of your life. The best days when you get the boat. The two best days of your life the day you get the boat, the day you sell the boat. The best day of your life would have been getting that call about you're going to be the new co host of the Today Show.
Speaker 2: How was that? Well, I mean, it's funny. It's what I try and think about. That time is so two thousand and six, and that is now, what are we now? So twenty years ago? And I'm so mindful of.
Speaker 1: I don't want a particular time to then define everything about me and how people see me and view me. And I don't like to give certain people energy that they don't deserve or time, no and so, and I'm a huge believer in put the good energy here because they're not worthy of that negativity or.
Speaker 2: You don't want to feed the wrong farm. No, that's right.
Speaker 1: And but but on a more I suppose if I look at it more broadly, it getting the job, I mean, but a whole lot of things that happened because I had been taken to court before I got the job, because I left Channel and then they sued me for breach of contract. So they really wanted you. Well, actually they didn't, because I mean, the point is if anyway, but you know that's also a whole separate saga. So it when I got the offer, I was thinking, Yes, this is a dream come true.
Speaker 2: This, Yeah, this is what I've been working for. I'm perfect for your personality.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is I've dreamt of this, I've worked so hard. I was someone I'm different now, but I was someone who was very gold driven. If I do this, if I work hard, if I give these things up, if I focus here, it will pay off.
Speaker 2: So I had that mindset that isn't life.
Speaker 1: I've learnt that, But at the time I was very you know, you know, career you think is like steps upwards, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not near and it's messy. However, I didn't realize that.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, wonderful and I was so excited I couldn't believe it, And went through the court case that was horrific, finally got the okay to join Channel nine.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 1: So because there was already it was a perfect storm. There was the attention on me anyway because of the court case. Right, Channel nine was going through a massive cultural shift.
Speaker 3: That was when Eddie Maguire was the head of appointed the head of Channel nine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually he wasn't when I began the Today Show, but then he shortly afterwards. So yes, it was this massive change, and so I was almost sort of the lightning rod for everything, escapegoat for want of a better word. But again, what's so important to me is that is just a weany part of my story, and it's a public part, but it's a small part, and I don't no, no, But the point is Jess, that that is what has led you to you now true is yes, of course, but such a crucial part of it because it was brutal and people experience things in life that a brutal all the time.
Speaker 2: As my mum says, in a positive way.
Speaker 1: The longer you live, the worst things are going to happen to you are okay, thanks mum, But yours happened really publicly. That has another that has another strata to it that is brutal. So you start the show in all good faith, all goodwill. I think the important thing to note too is that that has not occurred to me before.
Speaker 3: But you must have been so energetically different to your predecessor, who was Tracy Grimshaw, right, So that's a taste that the public then has to learn to deal with. People don't like change anyway in their viewing. So you come on. That's another lightning rod ass inspect and then suddenly you who comes in as our mutual friend Sarah Harris says, she said about you, she's pure sunshine.
Speaker 2: Oh I love Sarah.
Speaker 3: So you come in, You come in, pure sunshine, and what happens.
Speaker 1: Oh I I'll never forget. The next day, and this was before Twitter and all of it was before social media, so really.
Speaker 2: It was through It was newspapers, letters.
Speaker 1: To the editor, email was there, and letters probably snail mail, letters, cycles, all of that.
Speaker 2: But the day after I remember, and I was so excited. But then the day after I remember there was this.
Speaker 1: Article where I was likened to a velociraptor, you know those awful creatures, onto prehistoric basically, my hair, my weight, my love, everything. It was horrible. It was this awful article and I remember just initially going, oh, that's all. But often what happens is you think that's it. But it was. It wasn't the end of it. It was just the start of a very public almost a campaign. Yes, and I couldn't ever work out why. But again, I don't want to waste energy on that. But it began with this particular column, and then it just continued. And I'll never forget. There was this TV guide. It was when there was like color TV guides, and there was this headline, the most annoying person on television, and there was me.
Speaker 2: It was me.
Speaker 1: Oh and I remember opening that on a Sunday morning and just being in floods.
Speaker 2: Of tears because I thought, like what And.
Speaker 1: At the time, like Pede, my darling husband, he was doing sixty minutes, so he was away for eight months of the year.
Speaker 2: Wow. But so it just it just it kept going. When you opened the newspab that day, was he home or he was away?
Speaker 1: He was away, So you're on your own yeah, oh, and it wasn't but it was daily. And I remember again with the snail mail, that people would send me letters. And I remember this particular one someone had sent me again from a TV guide and they'd highlighted all the awful things and then write me a letter about how awful I was, and and it was it was mind boggling that people could be so cruel. And I remember then saying to the receptionist at nine, can you please go through my mail? So I I'm not already doing that, no, So there was no protection for you coming into this role. Knew nothing had been constructed around you, so I said, can you just make sure that that doesn't get to me? And so it was just this sense of it kept like things just kept happening, right, but and you were turning up every morning at three point forty five ding, And I'll never forget Kate, a particular boss saying to me, oh, there've been complaints about the way you laugh. Can you stop laughing? And I made the mistake of listening to him, so I stopped laughing for a time.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez.
Speaker 1: But it was a really good lesson because I now would never ever listen to someone telling me not to be myself?
Speaker 2: What are you without your laugh? Exactly? Who were you in that period?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Who was I? Indeed?
Speaker 1: And so because I was grappling with how do I fit this role, this mold of what they expect or what people want me to be like?
Speaker 2: But the real lesson for me.
Speaker 1: Was I will never ever listen to anyone telling me to be less than who I am. And that is something that I tell my daughters. Don't ever ever let anyone take your shine or your power of who you are. But when you're in the midst of this sort of time, you lose your way. And that was a mistake I made, but I would never do that again.
Speaker 2: The steel is.
Speaker 3: Tempered in the fire, of course, how else would you know that? Of course, how else would you have learnt that, to know how it is to be diminished and to know how it is to not be truthful to your essential self. The irony being that your essential self was what got you the job in the first place. Maybe because there was a changing of the guard. Do you think it had been you weren't the captain's pick?
Speaker 2: Again, I who knows?
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to waste energy on that, because what I want to think about that time is what I learned. I learned what I was made of. I learned what mattered and who matted. And even though I've mentioned the negative things, what kept me going was the kindness of people. There were beautiful people who would come up to me in the street and give me a hug and say we love you.
Speaker 2: Keep going.
Speaker 1: People knew then, yes, what people could tell, they would see, they could read things, they were hearing things. And then people would send me emails. People would send me letters. So thetionist, what she would do each morning was this was in the like Manila folders, that be a Manila folder in my dressing room that had all my scripts and things.
Speaker 2: Because she was a good receptionist.
Speaker 1: That's right, like me, right, she would have on the top of my notes all of the lovely emails from people that she would have there. So before I'd go on, there was all of this positivity. So that kept me going. I had amazing emails, letters, calls from people in the media, people I looked up to, people I've mired enormously, and that kept me going. The late great Peter Harvey, I remember he sent me a wonderful email about you know that, And it was so beautiful what he said about you know that it's the caravan or keep going, you know, just just keep on keeping on. And yeah, an event who I still want to be when I grow I remember she took me aside and said, hang in there, because when you least expect it, it's.
Speaker 2: Going to turn.
Speaker 1: And there will be no rival reason to why that it will suddenly turn.
Speaker 2: That you hang in and.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that I really discovered, and I've always been stubborn, but I thought, I'm not going to let other people win. The best thing I can do is show up every day and do my job.
Speaker 2: So sure, how you can get me.
Speaker 3: How long was that period of the of the vilification campaign, the whole time which was how.
Speaker 2: Long before you got pregnant?
Speaker 1: It was I got well, it's because I was going through IVF, so I became I think the in the August I might have announced I was pregnant, so eight months into the role, and yes, it would have been. And then I went on maternity leave and then didn't come back. But the sort of sense of showing up every day, yeah, the stubbornness, so I knew the thing is I knew that they wanted to get rid of me, and that they were going to get rid of me.
Speaker 2: I knew that. I knew that, but I thought, how did you know?
Speaker 1: Because if the vibe, but not even the vibe, if there is a negative campaign that is waged about you publicly across media.
Speaker 2: And then I remember, actually a Current.
Speaker 1: Affair did a story about me being the most annoying person on television what the same network?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'd been told subsequently by a good friend that they had been publicity had been instructed not to do promote any story good stories about me.
Speaker 2: So I knew.
Speaker 1: So that was how I mean, if people want to look after you, you'll be looked after.
Speaker 3: Yes, and particularly particularly a network that had the might of Channel nine.
Speaker 2: At that time.
Speaker 1: So I knew they wanted to get rid of me, and I just thought, Okay, I'm going to make this really hard for you, in the sense of I'm going to keep showing up. What can I control in this situation. I can't control what these people think of me, what their plan is for me, but I can control how I show up every day.
Speaker 2: I'll be back with Jess Rowe after this short brain.
Speaker 3: I listened to your Big Talk, in fact, your first episode of your podcast, so twenty twenty one, I think, was with Karl Stefanovic, and he apologizes to you. It's a really beautiful apology. That guy's good at apologies, very good at apologies. He apologized to you. He said he was not the man he should have been, and he was not the co host he should have been. And it was only really through listening to that that I got the sense of how enormous it was what had happened to you. And it was the first time you'd really had a conversation about it, and that was what fifteen years after it had happened, and you said, it means a lot to me. I could hear how it helped rebuild something in you that, no matter how strong you are, and you were like a fortress, hearing the truth and hearing that it wasn't you. How did that feel?
Speaker 1: It was incredible you it wasn't me. But I think hearing cul apologize to me was very important because I had that was the first time we'd spoken.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I hadn't heard from him, and so it takes a lot. I think guts and courage on his behalf to show up and say that, because he could have said I'm not coming on your podcast.
Speaker 2: Well even and to be the first Geese.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it did mean a lot to me because we have to be able to have hard conversations about tough times in our life, and that was a particularly hard time. And it was also I suppose a recognition from him, Yes, that he had a responsibility too.
Speaker 2: Yes, that he had not lived up to that he'd let me down.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're pregnant with Allegra, which should be a time of enormous joy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: And the thing was that kept me going. She was my secret She was my real sense of you know what, all of this noise doesn't matter because I have something far more meaningful, powerful and important that is happening.
Speaker 3: Then Pete was away still, your husband was, yes, still overseas. So you're secretly pregnant. Well, yes, so.
Speaker 1: Secretly pregnant, And it was I waited, well, you know, you wait until the twelve week mark till you can tell people. But it was this wonderful time and I was not going to let anything detract from that. And having gone through IVF, I knew how precious.
Speaker 2: It was to have hard thought, Yes, and that was what mattered.
Speaker 1: So you're on matt leave, how do you find out that you've been boned again?
Speaker 2: That word cake, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but the word is, the word is has become a shorthand for we not only a sacking, but a certain experience of a sacking and a certain execution of something. It wasn't even sort of our right to begin with. It was suggested to me, well, what was happening was there were articles that were coming out about me.
Speaker 2: When I was on maternity leave already, and they weren't lovely, right Jess and her baby? Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, however, and then it was suggested, suggested to me that there was a press release released that because of the demands of motherhood, I decided to stand aside news to you. Yes, and I said, I'm not doing that and I'm not releasing that and because that isn't true, and then and they, I mean, I'm very I don't want to get into all the he said, she said, it's I don't think anything can be gained from that. Some I think someone was already employed to take over my role before I But but again, right, let's not get into all of that. And in the end, it was appalling that I remember having meetings with my lawyer, breastfeeding in the morning, putting breastpads into my bra, going to have meetings with my lawyer, and just thinking what has become of me? And I remember lying on my front lawn in tears, just thinking.
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: And I got to a point where I didn't have the energy to take them to court. And I was really torn because I thought, what am I going to tell Allegra about what I did in terms of standing up for what's right.
Speaker 2: But in the end, I decided I have to do what's right for me now. And you were also you had postpartum. I had post natal depression.
Speaker 1: However, it hadn't developed at that point, but it did develop, And you can say, why did I have postnatal depression? Combination of factors. It's very common women who have I go through IVS when you have a baby, the hormonal change, I have a family history of mental illness, my mum's got bipolar.
Speaker 2: And you have massive.
Speaker 1: Life changes at the same time, and you've been subjected to a campaign of public persecution.
Speaker 2: So I had all of that happening.
Speaker 1: So it's little wonder that I then developed postnatal depression, and in a funny way, I'm so I'm the way life does sort of turn out. It's again that was just a small part, public part. But I learned so much about myself, but then going through the postonatal depression, learning to be gentle on myself, learning that I didn't have to be perfect, and I thought I had to be perfect.
Speaker 2: In my career hard being perfect exactly. It didn't work.
Speaker 1: But and my career had always been i'll work hard, I'll get this result. I worked hard, finally had a baby. I was doing everything right, but I was falling apart as a mum. I felt like a failure. I didn't have a job. I'd been someone who had to find who I was through my identity through work.
Speaker 2: I didn't have that any longer.
Speaker 1: Felt like I was a failure And it was such an awful time in my life. And I never ever want another mum to feel as alone as I felt. And that's why I talk about my postonatal depression still, because it is the most isolating time, because there is this myth around motherhood still that it's meant to be the best time of your life and easy and you know what you're doing, And for a lot of women it's not, And that is not of your choosing. You simply have an illness that you need help to get through. Interesting though those external factors as well, to take those into account of what was happening to you internally?
Speaker 2: How was How was it?
Speaker 3: Because sometimes I think it's harder for the people that love you to watch you endure what's happening. Then it is even for you. It's hard enough for you. How is your husband? Because he was also at the same network, so that must have been crazy for him.
Speaker 2: Oh it was, and it was terrible for him.
Speaker 1: And there were a number of times where he was like, I'm leaving, and I said, you can't leave because or not, you can't leave, but why implode both of our careers.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Not be the bigger person, but don't let this define everything. But yes, it was terribly hard for PD and he though, is such a darling man. And I mean I had I was able to pretend to him that I was all right because I was very good at putting on the mask. I'd had a life tiling, yes, of experience of doing it in my family, in my career. But I got to the point where I thought, I can't pretend anymore. I've got to tell him. And he was such a darling because he just took me in his arms and he said to me, it's going to be okay. And that's what you need to hear from someone when you tell them you're not coping.
Speaker 2: And what had you said to him?
Speaker 1: Well, I said, we've been talking and he was saying, oh, I'm so you know, you're doing so well. And he calls me pussy cats. I'm a crazy cat lady. Oh, pussy cat, I'm so proud of you, and oh, so wonderful. And I said, well, I said, it's not. I said, I'm really frightened. I'm really frightened that I have postonatal depression. And he took me in his arms and he said it's going to be okay. And that was what I needed to hear, because it was so very scary saying that, saying that out loud, and for anyone who's listening, who is having those thoughts in their head to then put voice to them is scary because it's an admittance that I'm not okay. But by putting voice to it, it begins your recovery. And I really urge people to do that because you don't have to do it on your own, and it's so common you can't do it on your own, Well, you can't, but unfortunately so many people think they have to, and they wait too long. And then the longer you wait, the harder it is to get back to yourself again.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And also you're trying to do something, You're trying to pull yourself out of a hole when you're at your weakest.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Then you had period of what did your life look like after that?
Speaker 2: So you started treatment.
Speaker 1: You love my antidepression, still take my meds. I love them, So began antidepressants. I was lucky because the ones that were prescribed for me were the right ones.
Speaker 2: They were right.
Speaker 1: There's not always the case, not always the case. I had a wonderful psychiatrist. I would see her, not always the case exactly. So all these things worked well for me, and I know for a lot of people it's not as simple as that. Often the struggle is you ask for help and the right help isn't available. Yes, And and it began a.
Speaker 2: Sort of a what's the word, because journey is such a ridiculous word.
Speaker 1: But I've a rising rising, And also I learned more about myself and I'm learning I'm still not there yet, And I think having the postnatal depression, in a funny way, was one of the best things that could have happened to me, in the sense of it really taught me to be gentle on myself. It taught me I didn't have to be perfect. It taught me you could be a crap house I could be a crap housewife. I could be quirky and crazy and dye my hair different colors and do craft and do things that brought me joy and not have to be perfect. What was the when you really leaned into the crap housewife then, which was territory that sort of then became crowded. But when you started at nobody else was really doing that. What was the process where you gave yourself permission to do that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: It was It was a process of I like to liken it to being a crap housewife was like the phoenix rising from the ashes of my postnatal depression. It was my reclaiming my imperfection and my vulnerability and being enough that I didn't have to be perfect, that I didn't have to know how to breastfeed, I didn't have to have perfect meals for my kids. They didn't have to have perfectly brushed hair, and we'd have meltdowns and that was okay. And I didn't have to have a tidy house and it was okay to fall apart.
Speaker 2: What did you have?
Speaker 3: So we know the things that you didn't have and that you didn't do, But what did you learn? Was your strength?
Speaker 2: My strength was that? Oh, that's a tricky question. What was my strength? But I, oh, that's a really hard it's hard.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I know what it is, but sometimes it's easy if you see it from outside.
Speaker 2: And I would say your strength was happiness.
Speaker 1: Well, joy, My strength is my capacity for joy, because I think happiness is this idea of oh, I have to always be happy, but joy is more deliberate and you have to be you have to kind of chase joy, and it's pockets of joy. So you can feel unhappy and you can be having a crappy day, but you can think, where's.
Speaker 2: My joy in today? So for me, my joy was seeing you today.
Speaker 1: But I've put on some sparkly stockings.
Speaker 2: Dress beautiful and pink lippy.
Speaker 1: So that's that's my strength that I chase joy and I want more of that in my life, and not only for me, I sort of I want other people to embrace that, because there's so much darkness and gloominess in the world and you can feel powerless in that. And what we can do, though, is go for those pockets of joy. And I want that to almost be my way of combating the nonsense, the noise, the hate, the sort of like, what, why go down that echo chamber. No, let's do the echo chamber of joy, or not even echo chamber. Let's reach for that. Why not spread that. It doesn't mean I don't care about those things or I'm not mindful of those things, but I'm making a deliberate choice not to buy into that hate. I'm making a choice to look for that joy and to encourage other people to look for that, because it's too easy otherwise to be negative. Now, all right, that is so true. But what you are describing is.
Speaker 3: The Academy Award principle, which is a comedy never wins an Academy awards.
Speaker 2: Should, Yeah, but what wins Academy awards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a thing with actors where you're always like, you know, make a nose out of putty, make people cry, You'll win an Academy Award.
Speaker 2: Comedy.
Speaker 3: A comedy has never won an Academy Award. The world responds to pain, cruelty, fear. Instilling fear in people, we learn during the pandemic can make people do anything. What the world doesn't value is people who come in open hearted, with a hearty laugh and a healthy snort. People somehow underestimate the value of that. To hear you say how important it is is.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I do think I feel that part of your redemption round was also doing Studio teen with that gentle morning audience who loved that wake up and to start the day with you where you were understood and loved by the people that you were doing the show with Sarah Harris, who have mentioned Ida buttros Jo.
Speaker 1: Beautiful nissistrised up on my firsties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people loved you and you did you learn to Were you like one of those Chinese sun bears, you know they opened the cage door, but they're too scared to walk outside because they've never stood on grass.
Speaker 2: Were you like that. At the start, No I was. I just came out.
Speaker 1: I came out because what I loved about Studio ten was that I could be myself and I was given permission to be myself. And in the interim before I did Studio ten, I did a whole lot of other really fun, crazy for one of a better word, things that allowed me to be me. So, you know, there was a time when the phone didn't ring and I thought, am I ever going.
Speaker 2: To get a job again? Will anyone ever employ me again?
Speaker 1: And then I realized I just had to sort of reinvent myself and do things for me and then let's see what happens.
Speaker 2: I did singing lessons. I was a terrible singer.
Speaker 1: I sort of had fantasies of being on the stage and doing musical theater and ended up narrating a musical in Geelong and other places. But I had so much fun because I met these creative, beautiful souls and one of my dearest friends now I met through that, and so I met people who encouraged me to do things for the sake of the joy it brings, as opposed to the goal at the end.
Speaker 3: But you know, you said you would like, is the phone going to ring again? In the meantime, Karl's career was going like that, how did you find the grace? Well, again, it's I don't want to waste energy on that because it's putting energy into what matters, yes, and people who matter. So that was a mental discipline that you would exist.
Speaker 1: But also there's far bigger, better things I had. By then, Giselle, I was doing Weekend Sunrise, which I love. That was so much fun with beautiful Sammy Samantha Armatage and I had a ball doing that show. And I was able to do that on the weekends and you know, be with my girls, and I was able through all of that time to sort of find myself again. I did Dancing with the Stars and that was great, and that was a good lesson for me because I had this idea in my head, this warped idea that I'm gonna win and then when I win, then I'll redeem myself and I'll get back on Telly. I can't dance, and like Katie's like, but that I discovered that was the first way of doing realizing the joy just in doing something and realizing it's what you do along the way and what you learn about yourself as opposed to an end game in this and so it helped me do zigging and zagging of things. I auditioned for play school, and I remember doing the audition and thinking, oh my god, I've lost my mind.
Speaker 2: What am I doing? But it was fun and I'm so glad I gave that a go.
Speaker 3: And even when you stepped aside from studio team, what was the thinking then?
Speaker 1: Well, I had done that for six years and I loved it. But like anything, there's a season for things in your life. My daughters were Allegra was just starting high school, Giselle was in primary school, and I knew my girls needed me more.
Speaker 2: And how could you tell?
Speaker 1: I just knew that it was more to how I was feeling each morning. It was harder. It was more work, and of course work is work, and there are some days where it's tougher than others. But there was less joy. It was more grind and more fraught with.
Speaker 2: Arrangements. Yeah, it was I was. I was more.
Speaker 1: I was just more worn down, and I didn't like the person I was becoming at home to the people I loved most. I didn't like that I was being snappier and more irritable and just tired, creeping through the week, and and I thought I got to a point where and I appreciate that it's not as straightforward for many women. I was lucky because with p D's work, I was in a position that I could I could take a step back.
Speaker 2: Yes, we weren't reliant on the two salaries.
Speaker 1: He was because when I first told him, he was like, because he's very sense, whereas I'm a bit more no, come on, let's do it. He's more measured. And we're on holidays. And I said to him, I'm going to leave Studio ten. And he said, pussy Cat, are you sure? Because you love that and I know you get so much out of it. Are you going to be bored if you leave? He said, why don't you give it a few more months? So I did, and I went it was sort of thinking about the March or the April, and I just thought, I have to listen to what my heart is telling me. And as women, we don't often do that enough, that we try and logic things away. But my heart was saying, you need to take a break, You need to step away from this. You are not happy and I had to really go you know what, You're right, I'm not happy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to live.
Speaker 1: And that was scary as well, because I thought, oh, you know, I've worked so hard to get to this position, but also to do something that is me that I do love, and to walk away from a group of people that I love. And but but I don't regret it. I'm so glad I was brave. Sometimes we've got to be brave and make those calls. But you know why because I was present for my family and it may sound old fashioned, but it was the right thing for our family. I Alegra needed me, Giselle needed me, and and your husband needs Yes, he needs me less.
Speaker 2: That's what you think, true. I don't. Yeah, sometimes we take the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're right, we do. We just think they'll just be there ticking over.
Speaker 3: Everyone likes attention. Don't you know you're the right card of the right card?
Speaker 1: Final question for you, Jess Row in your discovery of yourself.
Speaker 3: You'll continue discovery of yourself and your conversations with people on your podcast. Will Eddie Maguire be one of them?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, all right, he'll be very disappointed. Someone better call him and tell him he's been bowed.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: You know, I do not like that word.
Speaker 3: I wish you every continued happiness in your joy hunting. You're a beautiful woman, as Sarah Harris said to me, you are pure beauty, pure sunshine and pure beauty. And there's not enough of that.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Kate. Well, but let's all lean into that. It's really my message for people that I believe we underestimate how much people want the hope and the joy and if that is, you know, if people do more.
Speaker 2: Of that, then that's how we rise and keep rising. Amen.
Speaker 3: Well, that, my friends, was Jessica Rowe. One of the things I kept thinking about during this conversation was how easy it would have been for her to let those difficult years define her, to become smaller, or quieter, or more cautious. Instead, she seems to have done the opposite. The woman who once was told her laugh was too much has reshaped her life around being unapologetically herself, and I think that's why so many people connect with her, not because she's perfect, but because she's willing to be seen exactly as she is. Thank you for listen to No Filter. If you enjoyed this episode, we'd love you to subscribe, leave a review, and share it with someone who might enjoy it. Also, I'm Kate Lanebrook. I'll be back next Monday.