Speaker 1: So a situationship is comfortable. That doesn't mean it's right for me and what I need, but it means that I don't have to be super vulnerable. I don't have to fear being hurt. I don't have to fear being consumed by someone and having to give everything to them. And that might be too much. If we're thinking about those people where yeah, on the surface, situationships really suit them, It's not really that it suits them. It's more that I'm scared that if I allow more of myself to be seen or to be given to someone, that I then could get hurt.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you, but are you happy? I'm a Shani Dante. Dating can feel confusing enough, but now there's a new kind of dynamic that a lot of people are living inside, often without even realizing it. The situationship. It's an undefined romantic connection that sits somewhere between dating and a proper relationship. It can feel warm, convenient, and even intimate, but it's rarely clear to the two people in it what they're relationship actually is. Today, we're unpacking the psychology behind situationships with Sarah Bays. She's a Sydney based psychotherapist and host of MoMA MIA's relationship podcasts This Is Why We Fight. She also runs Motivated Minds, a counseling practice with a strong focus on relationships. Sarah spends a lot of time helping people make sense of their relationship patterns, especially how attachment styles play into the way we connect and situationships come up a lot on again, off again dynamic, the blurry boundaries, the we're not really together but we're definitely not nothing kind of relationships. She's here to help us unpack this today. So join Sarah and I in the Butai Happy Studio for this incredible conversation. Thank you so much Sarah for joining us today. I'm excited about today's episode.
Speaker 1: Me too, thank you for having me. I'm yeah, this is a really fun topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's fun. And also there's like I just find the term is very new as well, like in my space. I'm like, oh, I didn't know much about it until I started researching about it, and I'm like, oh, wow, this is a thing. Yeah, but it's interesting because you know, for people who have clicked on this episode, some maybe wondering whether they are or their friends are in a situationship or not. So let's start there, like what actually is a situationship?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I love that this idea that some people may actually be in one and not know, because I think until you put a name to things, sometimes it is this kind of just like ambiguous, you know, situation that I'm in. And I love how the words situationship kind of has this self explanatory part to it, where it's like it's a situation that I can't really label or put an exact title on, you know. So it's often I guess the point of them usually is either we don't want to be putting a label on something, so we're keeping it as a situationship, or it's too new to put a label on so at the moment, we're just sort of like letting this thing organically grow and it might turn into a relationship, it might stay this way. It's kind of like we don't know what direction it's going in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just sounds like it's it sounds messy, like you kind of get the unknown. And I've did a bit of research and it was talking about how situationships are being labeled as a liminal space for a relationship, where a liminal space is basically that messy in between stage. You're not in one room, but you're not in the other room. You're kind of lurking in the hallway. Yeah you're own Yeah, yeah, yeahs it's limbo, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think a lot of people really struggle in that space, you know. I mean, I think as human beings, our brain loves to have things in categories and be really clearly defined. And that can be a good thing in some ways, but in other ways it can make us sort of push things before they're ready, or pull out of things before we've given it a chance. And so I think it depends on your personality type, whether you're the type of person who would do well in a situationship or who would find one like an absolute nightmare. Yeah, you know, and I think that situationships have always been around. I think the term is fairly recent. But if I think about, you know, without sounding super old, but in my time, it was like seeing each other rather than dating. Well you know, so it's like if I was seeing someone, it meant that something was going on, but we weren't committed or fully dating, you know. So I feel like this is a thing that has always been there's just been different ways to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And it's interesting because you know, one thing that I'm thinking about that I'm sure people are wondering, is like, what are the red flags or warning signs that a connection is turning into a situationship rather than a healthy defined relationship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, even they're healthy defined, right, So the word defined means that we have actually about it, but we have had an open and transparent conversation about what this is, what I want, what you want? You know? Do our needs match up? Do our expectations match up? So that really is that difference where of course, in the beginning we can allow for some ambiguity. We can just go, okay, let's see where this goes. Like we both know each other's general intention, like is this friends? Is this more than friends? You know? Where are we at on the intimacy front? So there's you know a few things we can kind of let organically grow, But there usually becomes a point where someone or both one or both parties want a bit more definition. And situationships in themselves aren't bad, I think when they are not properly discussed and almost negotiated, Like everything is a negotiation. Friendships, relationships, we have to look at what can I bring, what can you bring? What are my needs? What are your needs? Can we meet each other? So does this work for both of us? And if we don't have that conversation, expl people get stuck in these situationships that they're not really happy in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: But if you have those conversations and there's two people who are quite securely attached, so they have a secure attachment style, good communications skills, a situation ship can be really beneficial for both parties and just suit where you're at in life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I really like that because, like I'm hearing, communication is a really important thing, and getting really clear on your intentions early on makes the massive difference. And it's hard too, because I guess there's nuance to that too, because people will be like, well, you know, it's still really early, I can't really know my expectations. So again it's like we want to kind of have a bit of a step by step guide, but it feels like there it is a bit ambiguous in a way.
Speaker 1: So I think what's important here is looking at what your level of tolerance to discomfort is the discomfort of ambiguity. Some people find that very you know, anxiety inducing or just really like, you know, I'm starting spiral? Are they even into me?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Am I being too full on? Am I not being full on enough? And you know, so some people can get like that other people. If we think of people who maybe you know a bit more on the avoidance side, situationships are kind of like the best of both worlds for them, So they will probably be the one that's least likely to bring anything up and decide we need to define anything, because to be honest, they're getting the closeness and connection that avoidance do want, but without the pressure and without that sort of like neediness and like having to commit in a big way, so they'll be less likely to want to make a change to anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's interesting. You've brought up some terms which I'm really curious to unpack with you around like attachment style and personality. And I'm curious because we've unpacked a lot of what the signs are of a situationship. But is there kind of a hidden formula or pattern that you've noticed in relationship dynamics. So people who come to see you in the clinic where you're like, oh, okay, this is classic situationship formula, you know in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I've seen some really lovely situationships. Actually, yeah, you know some of my clients they've been really great at kind of just being able to almost hold what they need in life right now. And it's like, you know, I might have kids at home, or I might be like really focused on my business, or I might just you know, want to take things easy. I've come out of a long relationship. I'd love to have a bit of fun and a bit of company and things. But you know, so they've been quite clear and intentional around like, hey, this is where I'm at and what I need. Does that suit you? If it does, great, and also like checking in on that because things change, you know, a month later, six months later, a year later, we might be in different places. So it's that kind of revisiting of like how is this working for you? Like do we see each other frequently enough? Are we having enough intimacy? Do you want more from me? Am I pushing too much on you?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: These are just normal conversations to be had, and that's a great formula where it works really well, yeah, but both parties have to be able to have that level of I guess communication skill really and transparency. But the other type of formula I see, which is maybe not so positive, where it does get quite complicated, is when there is this I guess maybe on both sides, it's reluctance to have real vulnerability. If one person is not able to say, hey, I want a bit more or this isn't really working for me, then it's this kind of trap where we have this like faux security and faux stability, but really I can only rely on you in particular windows and in particular ways. I actually don't have that secure and stable partnership that I might want, you know, And I think there's this sort of bread crumbing that happens. And this is not intentional bread crumbing like in a narcissistic type of way, but just this where you get these moments of like connection and closeness and like, yay, we got to see each other, or we had a great phone call, or we you know, went out and had a nice date. But then the rest of the week, maybe I don't have them as like that person that I could call and just you know, have a cry about something too or you know, just bent about something and it depending on what your needs are, that might not be enough. Yeah, and for people with an anxious attachment, they might notice that, but they're so used to that inconsistency in relationship that this is just like that same old chase cycle that they're in.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember, like back in the days where I mean I'm sounding like we're really old.
Speaker 1: That's just like the ninety podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like, you know, is that has something to do with when people are like, yeah, I like to go for the bad guy or the bad person, you know, just is that playing into that kind of they're trapping themselves in potentially what they deserve and the attachment style they have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that you brought up the bad guy. I think because there's something there, and because there's a gender thing there too, right as well, but which and to be honest, more and more now I find the gender is less. It's less, you know, the guy is the avoidant, the girl is the anxious. It's becoming less. So that way, there probably is still a skew that you know, it's not fifty to fifty in that sense, but I do find it not so stereotypically always the man that's the avoidant and the female that's the anxious one. But I guess this is where that whole bad guy thing. I don't know if it's a stereotype that men don't want to commit because they want to be able to play the field blah blah blah blah, where I feel that nowadays, this is what feeds into a lot of that anxious need to be in this committed relationship because the only reason you wouldn't want to commit is because you want to play the field totally. Yeah, yeah, where, Yeah, I think there's a lot of other reasons that could be happening. That is one of them. Yeah, but there are many other reasons to think about. And this is where that communication piece comes in. Yeah, A really interesting thing that Esther Perell talks about. I love her, love her, so you know, she does so many drops of wisdom from this woman. But she talks about how monogamy is really like where desire and passion goes to die. And that sounds depressing it first, really, but it sounds very depressing it first, and probably you know, might trigger a few people into being like what do you mean what she means by that is for our nervous systems to really feel safe, to be vulnerable and intimate and rely on someone and trust someone, we need consistency, We need security, you know, we want to know that that person is there. We know we can predict their usual behaviors, we know that they show up for us, they show us nurture and kindness, all these other things. Then relationships do need. So what the problem is, though, is that desire and passion that thrives on like mystery, thrill you know, these kind of like novelty like that's what desire and passion gets fueled by. So if you think about like committed relationship doesn't really have that stuff, Like it's not that it doesn't and you can't have passion and desire in a monogamous relationship. You absolutely can. But there's something about situationships they give you this kind of like foot in both worlds where it's like there's still this like novelty, adventurous, like thrilling, mystery part because we're not like in this fully committed relationship, but we have these like pretend parts of the committed relationship. So we get a bit of both. So I think that that can kind of keep that sort of like I don't know, like bad boy or like kind of excitingness or you know, sort of thrill thing to the relationship. But I think people in like it's it can be a bit like a drug and it's hard to jump off that rollercoaster in that sense.
Speaker 2: So you were talking about attachment styles before. I'm curious to know how does one build their awareness around what kind of attachment style they are before they go into something like a situationship. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So look, there's a lot of online little tests and surveys and questionnaires that you can do, and you know, like I would say, like do that. It's fun. It's probably a little bit more complex and complicated than that, but from a basic level, a lot of people will go and do something like that. So if even if you look up like attachment style, John Bowlby is the person who actually created that sort of even the term I believe, but also just a theory around attachment. And if I break it down really simply, there's four main attachment styles and it can it has sort of broadened out over the years where there's like these sort of like multiple half like merged attachment styles, which you know, is a kind of more complex if we start digging into it deeper, but if we keep it just sort of on that more foundational learning about it. We've got four main attachment styles. So we've got secure, which speaks for itself as that real sort of more secure attachment sort of those people who are really quite authentic and show up in their relationships being able to be vulnerable communicating well, yeah, there's this kind of just like stable consistency to their relationships. Then we've got the anxious attachment style, which is very much the one who fears abandonment. Could come across as like clinging or needy or like having space doesn't work well for you. You know, you want to fix the problem right now. You don't want to have space, You want to just everything is made fine again. If someone's upset or angry, I get really distressed. I find it hard to tolerate distance and disapproval.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we've got the avoidant attachment style, which is more so Yeah, people who seem a little bit like a bit more guarded kind of of takes a while to let you in. Usually they might in an argument just want to go away and not talk or they shut down. They don't want to talk things through now. They really need their space. If you kind of get too needy, they really sort of back off. Yeah, so they just It's interesting because people with avoidant attachment style very much want the connection, but they fear the connection. So where anxious attachment style is where I fear abandonment, and the avoidant is where I fear being consumed by and taken over by someone else's needs. So I still want the connection, but I'm scared you're going to kind of take over me if I give it to you. Then there's the insecure attachment style. And a lot of people worry about being this one. I feel like if you are this one, you might know you know, So it's probably quite clear generally, an insecure attachment style sadly comes from quite a history of trauma and particularly in early childhood. But people who they struggle to make healthy connections, they probably don't have many long lasting even friendships like so they kind of you know, short friendships, short relationships. It can be very hard for them to be able to maintain that consistency instability. So they're people who they oscillate between the anxious and avoidant, but they do it sort of so frequently that it's hard for anyone to kind of keep up.
Speaker 2: I was doing a bit of research and going to one of our greatest resources, TikTok oh. Yeah, and I was just looking at just looking up situationships, and I know, it was really great you spoke to the gender piece because I was like, a lot of them were women talking about their experiences of a situationship. But it was really fascinating because I noticed this trend of women realizing they were in a situationship after they left. Yeah. And it just gets me thinking around, like why is it that we see the unhealthy signs after we leave?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, And you know, I think it's that that bread crumbing where it's like, oh, I get yeah, yeah, this is what I want, this is yeah, this makes me happy, this is what I'm looking for, And then that kind of like tides you over until the next bread crumb. And but in between the bread crumbs, there is this discomfort of like, oh, okay, you know, I thought maybe we'd be seeing a bit more of each other, or I'm really disappointed that he didn't show up to my thing that I had that was really important or you know, like different things like that I think get sort of minimized or swept away by the kind of good bits and whether or not there's something there around Is it that you didn't know that it was a situationship or were you not willing to bring up certain things that would have clarified that for you. So there's a resistance in actually finding out or talking about your grievances or saying like, hey, I need a bit more than this.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah totally. And it's interesting too because I guess what I noticed was that I guess there's like a greater perspective that people get once they finish, like finish all the relationship changes, where they're like, oh shit, yeah, I fully betrayed myself in that moment. Oh yeah, I actually did want him to show up to that thing, and I was fully people pleasing. So it's like it's such a mirror of where within ourselves we need to kind of look deeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a really really common thing I see is people excusing things. And it's not to say that we have to hold everyone to the highest accountability for every single thing they do or don't do, but there's a dishonesty in ourselves, and it's often to protect you know, if I really admit to myself how hurt I am about that, I have to actually let that pain come up and I have to feel it. And maybe it's just easier to say that, oh, it wasn't that important. And you know, their work is really really important to them and they're really busy, so that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I think that people struggle to hold both. Yeah, yeah, yes, they have an important work sing on. But I'm also really disappointed that they didn't make the effort to come. You can hold both. It doesn't have to be they are a terrible person for not coming to my event, but it could be. It really hurt me, and I am sad about that. But I do also understand that they have their own stuff going to so yeah, whereas we're often either in one camp or the other. So they're horrible or it was fine.
Speaker 2: That's so true. No, I fully see that, and I think it's important that we yeah, give light to both. Yeah, more of my conversation with Sarah after this short break. I'm really curious, like, why do people become so emotionally invested in situationships, even when there's no real commitment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is the hat. This is where I was thinking before about the different personality types. Some people are not able to be in a situationship without catching feelings so to speak. You know, and you'd like to think that anybody in a situation has a certain amount of feelings for the other person you know, and cares about them and enjoy spending time with them. But when that trickles into you know, falling in love or things like that sometimes inevitable. But some people, particularly when you bring sex into the piece, right, or intimacy in whatever way, some people can make really sort of I guess, I don't know if it's about being in denial, but they sort of actually like, oh, yeah, this will be fine. I can have sex with this person and not catch feelings or you know. And that's that's slippery slope where it's like, yeah, it sounds like a great idea, and then you know, a month or two later, it's like, oh no, I'm now like fully invested in this and yeah, whereas other people can really separate sex and love and you know, sex is fun, it's all great, you know, but it doesn't create this sort of like closeness and intimacy. From an emotional perspective, I can sort of separate the two. So you really need to think about knowing yourself, understanding yourself, and whether a situationship is something that you can get into or whether sort of from the beginning, it's like, hey, if that's what you're after, that's all good, but I know that that doesn't work for me, Like I'll be you know, a month or two time, I'm going to be in love with you, and if that's not what you're after, like, let's not do this, you.
Speaker 2: Know totally, and you can, I guess in a way, you can get so swept up and like the you know, getting attention and feeling loved, Like it's a great feeling being loved and being seen. So I can imagine it being really difficult. So what's the brain's role in keeping people stuck in situationships? Like there's things like hope or fantasy or the intermittent reactions that you were kind of talking about before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so there's all of that sort of like the oxytocin, the dopamine, the serotonin, like all the good feelings that you know, if we think of it as like I'm almost imagining like a pinball machine is, like you know, and it's very similar to like the pleasure center the rewards center of the brain. And then if we're thinking thinking about like in any sort of addictions work that I do, it's very much around what are the things that kind of light up those areas in my brain? And then what happens when I don't get it? And then, you know, do I fall into that chase cycle where it becomes like I'm obsessed or consumed by it? Da da dah, Because even the chase is part of the addiction bit, and it's not to say we're registicted, but yeah, it all becomes this cycle, and every part of the cycle is just as sort of like pulling you in as the other. I also think that part that Esteperell talked about where it's like, you know, the desire, the thrill, there's a fantasy element because usually in a situationship you're not there, you know, all throughout the night, or like when they're having a really shitty day, or you know, when they're like got horrible diarrhea while they were on holidays and got gastro or something. You know, like you're usually not there for those is like real lifelike, you know, kind of mood killer moments, and so it keeps that novelty thing alive. So it's kind of like, you know, we swipe and we see a new reel and it's like, oh, you know, so we kind of get this still novelty thing that keeps coming with the situationships. So the brain is very much like getting a lot of these rewards stuff happening. Whereas when you live with someone or see each other a lot, or like, there's this real you know, stability and consistency that reward like novelty center isn't going off so much. That doesn't mean that there aren't beautiful experiences that you have in committed long term relationships, but it's just different. It works on different parts of the nervous system in the brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally totally. You know, that's good to note. So when it comes to situationships, like, how because again it is it's great that you've painted that it can be great, but also can be really hard and can have massive impacts. How does situationships impact self esteem and self worth over time? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that. It's like our brains were connected because I'm like, that was exactly the next part I we needed to talk about, you know, yeah, the self worth and the self esteem thing. So I think on both parties, right, So let's say, let's say that people who are really happy with the situationship in terms of well, let's put this away. There's two types of happy with being in a situationship. One where it really is actually meeting my needs and it's legitimately where I'm at in life and it's great. And then there's another happy with it, which is more like, this is just my comfort space. So a situationship is comfortable. That doesn't mean it's right for me and what I need, but it means that I don't have to be super vulnerable. I don't have to fear being hurt. I don't have to fear being consumed by someone and having to give everything to them, and that might be too much. Yeah. So if we're thinking about those people where yeah, on the surface, situationships really to them, it's not really that it suits them. It's more that I'm scared that if I allow more of myself to be seen or to be given to someone, that I then could get hurt. So there's this real sort of self esteem and the idea that if I get hurt like that, I don't know if I can cope. Yes, So there's real like sort of self esteem and self worth bit on the more avoidance side, but then on the more anxious side, who wants more and maybe a situationship isn't actually right for them, but they've kind of gotten sucked into one and now they're like, oh god, I think on that end, the not leaving or the not bringing up the parts that aren't working for them to even see if maybe we could make this something that could work for both of us. That's that self esteem peace there where it's like, you know, if I'm not keeping them happy, or that their needs are more important than mine, if I start to speak up or say what I want, maybe they'll leave me. Maybe there isn't enough that I bring that would make it worth it, if they don't have that flexibility that they wanted, or you know, so there's this idea that you know, my needs aren't as important, so just don't worry about it, or maybe that I can't find anyone better, I can't find someone that will commit to me. So there is an element of that self worth stuff that can play a part for some people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's interesting you talk about that last piece around one of the reasons being like, well, maybe there isn't other people, another person out there for me. And I noticed this with a lot of my girlfriends where who are still single and they're trying to find their person, and a lot of them are feeling really disheartened. So it's like, I can imagine just that being further evidence of why you might just stay in it because it feels comfortable, feels familiar in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and it is really sad, you know, this idea that and maybe some of it is exacerbated by social media or you know, just stories and Hollywood and all that stuff about there only being one person for you, and you know, like I think that that's wild to think that there's only one person out there that I could possibly have this amazing connection with or who could love me like that. And yeah, it really exacerbates this like, oh, what's the word scarcity. It really exacerbates this scarcity mindset of like there won't be anyone else or there won't be anything better. Yeah, yeah, I see this with my clients so much, and I'm always like trying to hold myself back from me, Like, trust me, there are people out there for everyone, and there isn't just one person. If you think you found that one person and then it didn't work out, like you have no idea who you're going to meet in life, and you have no idea what's even happening tomorrow, Like you just don't know what's going to happen. You know, in a good way, also in a bad way. It works both ways, but we just never know. And I think that there are so many things we don't even have in our mind yet of what type of person we might meet and want and how they might respond to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, Well that's good. I mean, you've been in this space for over ten years, working with a lot with a lot of relationships. So hopefully that's the side of hope for anyone listening. And I'm sure if they've got to buy their person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you're not happy, I'm just if you're not happy in something, and if it's not saying if you're not happy to sleave, but if you are not happy and you have tried quite hard to have these difficult conversations with that person, if it's not changing, and if they're not willing to at least put the effort to try and make it work with you. That's the thing I just see so much obvious people just go Okay, well, I guess this is all right. This I'll settle like this will be okay. And I think situationships can, for some people be a version of settling. I can't really get the thing that I want, but this is okay, so I'll just this is okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you bring that up because I was going to ask, like, what are some of the signals that someone should seriously consider leaving a situationship? So that would you say is one of them? Is there more?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think feeling lonely in a relationship is a big one. I mean this could also speak for committed relationships as well. But if you're feeling lonely and disconnected in your relationship, that doesn't mean you should leave, but it should mean that something is not right, something is not happening, there's a need that's not being met, and if you don't start actively having those open conversations about it, it's going to build and build and build. So I think noticing where I feel lonely even with my partner. Doesn't make it always their fault that they're doing something wrong. But there's something here that is not expressed on my end, and what is that? And if I express it? How do they respond? Are they dismissive? Are they open? Do they want to hear? Are they like, sorry, this is all I can give you? And sometimes we need to actually listen to what they're saying. If they're saying this is all I can give, at what point do I go, Okay, is that enough for me? No, so I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think often there's this like acceptance that the other person can't give me what I want. But then it's like, okay, all right, well that's just all they can give.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true, And I'm like, what I'm hearingto is like that honesty, the transparency is what you really need, and also the receptivity of yeah, okay, is this person really to hear what my needs are? And then if not all, then I think you've got a lot of your answer ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if this is to have a partner, whether it's a situationship partner or you know, long term partner, if they're not workable. And when I say workable, it's like, you know, can they see their part in things? Are they interested to know how they impact you? If your needs aren't being met? Can they hear that without getting defensive? And this also comes to how you put it out there too, So you know, you've got to also take responsibility for am I coming at this in the past aggressive way? Am I being you know, sort of demanding? Or am I being too vague? The one I see a lot is people be too vague. They kind of put their needs out there, and this really like almost like you have to be digging to find what they're actually trying to say, and then they feel like they've been out there and said what they wanted and their partner's like, what, I had no idea that this is what you're trying to say. Well, you know, because it's so hard to put my needs out there, that I'll do it in it's really convoluted, like low key way that goes straight over the other person's head.
Speaker 2: Is it ever worth? And I mean again, like with the work that you've done with a lot of couples, is it ever worth trying to turn a situationship into a relationship or is it just better to just walk away.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's a great opportunity to turn a situationship into a relationship, Like I said at the beginning, where situationships can just be an inevitable part of the getting to know each other and deciding if this is something that I would like to commit to and turn into a long term relationship. So I think that it probably becomes more difficult to turn it into a relationship if it's been a really long term situationship where one person hasn't been happy about it. That's where there's you know, there's a lot of pain and her and so that have to be quite a bit of repair and a really intentional change in how we communicate our needs and how we respond to each other in order to have that change into a long term relationship. But not that that's impossible, but you'd both have to be willing to work on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After the break, we unpack how to tell whether you're in a healthy or unhealthy situationship and what to do next, something that I am curious about, just in case anyone's tuning in and might be realizing that, oh shit, maybe I am in a situationship, or maybe they are in a situationship but they can't quite tell how to define it in a way. What are some concrete tools you give people to assess whether their current situationship is healthy or unhealthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, this is a good one, because again, it really is going to be about putting things into your control. So it's like looking at so if we look at Okay, I'm in a situation ship I can't control, So we're not even going to look at what the other person does, like he does this, she does that.
Speaker 2: Which feels nice, Yes, well exactly.
Speaker 1: We love going oh yeah, but they do this, and we're going to completely sort of ignore that half of the situationship and we're only going to look at ourselves. So that's number one. It's like, okay, I need to if I want to get clear around if this is healthy or not, I need to first look at me. Now. Do I show up in this as authentically as possible? Like when I am upset about something, do I say it? When something makes me angry? Do I show it? Maybe I hide those things or maybe I show it too, you know, maybe I'm uncontained and I don't show it in the right way or in a way that can be heard. So first we're going to look at, Yeah, what's my behavior like in this relationship? Do I feel proud of myself and the way I, you know, communicate and act in this relationship. The other one would be what is my sense of self and my self worth? Like? Now, it's not our partner's job to build our self worth. That's our own job, but based on particular behaviors and the way we're treated, our self worth can take a hit, you know. So I would be looking at, yeah, what do I think about myself as a person? Do I feel like my needs are important? Do I feel like I am a likable person, that I'm a good person. If the answer is no or I'm not sure to some of these, then I go, Okay, is that based on maybe some of the things that were happening growing up? Is that based on how I'm treated at work? Or is that based on you know, some of the ways my partner treats me, the things they say, or you know, the time and effort they give me. Yeah, So starting to look at is there an impact on my self worth and being in this Yeah, then we can start looking at the other person. So am I proud of that person? Do I have to respect and admiration for how they carry themselves, the way they treat people, the way they treat me? Like, these are a lot of important things, because if we have even in a situationship, if we're in a situationship with someone who you know, I don't know, treats people kind of crap or like doesn't have much respect for certain things, or maybe behaves in ways that we don't really look up to. I mean, that's an interesting thought in itself. It is like, well, what am I doing here? You know, like okay, yeah, yeah, we have fun together or whatever, but I don't really respect them, or like they don't drive me to be a better person, or you know, it's sort of not really going anywhere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I can imagine as well, Like so people have now like gone through those questions which have been really great, and they've got this awareness, so they're like, oh crap, yeah, it is unhealthy. I see the bits that I need to take responsibility for. I can see the bits that I probably need communicate some impacts that the other person's doing to me. So what's next After building that awareness? It's like Okay, do they come and see someone like you or do they just have that chat? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, I love it. I love it when people come in. I've even seen both partners of the situationship in together, which I love. That's great. You know, like people think that therapy like it's not a I guess really common thing for people to go, oh, let's go see a therapists together when we're in a situationship. Yeah, but I love the ones that have and I'm like, this is you know, particularly if it's something that you want to continue working through in yourself, whether or not that situationship last forever. There's a lot of learning you can get about how you have shown up in that dynamic and how they affected you and the type of sort of pitfalls that are common for people to fall in. So yeah, often people will nowadays and more likely to come in and see a therapist, which is great. But you can if you feel confident in your ability to communicate. I mean a step one would be to try and communicate it yourself. I think that's important and I think this is where people might struggle and if you're struggling with that, then usually therapy is a great place to kind of have a bit of a yeah, someone to help you be able to articulate things and help the other person to also listen and be able to kind of nut out some of the issues that have come up. But I think if you get to a place where you're realizing hmm, okay, I don't know if this is really working for me or I'm not happy with certain things, being able to say that really clearly is important because it gives the other person the opportunity to decide whether or not it's going to work for them. So if you sit on it the other person, actually they're not it's not fair on them totally. They're just going to keep doing what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're in a world of everything's good. Yeah, Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't. I was just gonna say I did want to do a little caveat there around we're not talking about like this. If we're going to sort of the place where there's abuse or abusive dynamics happening, then I think that it would be dealt with differently. So if you do your sort of introspective like reflective work around, Okay, what's going on here? How am I being treated, How is my self worth? What is my view of the other person? If you identify abusive dynamics, you know that are really unhealthy and probably quite painful to realize that might be happening. I think I would recommend going about it a different way because if there is a sort of a power dynamic or some type of domestic violence or abuse there, I think it's important that safety gets prioritized first, so you may or may not decide to directly communicate with that person.
Speaker 2: There is something that I am curious about because I think, you know, we all love our friends, and you know, we love when they get into relationships or if, let's say, if you know, a friend gets into a situationship that actually isn't looking good, Like, what do you do because it's this fine line right where it's like, it's not my business, it's their relationship. I shouldn't get involved. But then you have so much love for that person that you don't want your friend getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So well what kind of things would you be seeing? I guess that's the question, is like, because sometimes we can just sort of see our friends new man or new girl and be like, not a big fan, you know, yeah, versus like, oh, they're actually treating you badly, you know. So is it just the kind of like, oh I don't really get why you're with them, or is it like something is not great happening here?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I reckon it. Yeah, obviously that will just depend on what people see. But I think what I've really noticed is like friends being like, oh they're not treating you. Yeah, okay, like I've seen the impact on you, because I've definitely seen that where friends get into relationships and I literally see them change and somewhat disappear, and it's really hard to see that.
Speaker 1: It's really sad. It is really sad, And I think having good friends around you that can tell you that is so important. But I get that there is this fine line and sometimes it can push people away when we're too honest. So I think it's about even balancing our own emotional reaction to seeing our friend, you know, diminish in a relationship that's not great. So if I can't manage my own whether it's anger, fear, pain about what's going with my friend, then when I talk to them about it, it's going to come out too strong. It's going to kind of muddy the waters, and they're probably going to either be not ready to hear it, so they're going to deny it and whatever, or it could push them into a shame or you know sort of thing where they then want a distance. So it would be about really regulating yourself first, yeah, and being able to go, Okay, what do I want my friend to get out of this, Like if my conversation with them when I leave, what do I want to leave them with? And hope that they really take in And I think one of the biggest things would be, you know that I love and care for them, Yeah, and then the other thing would be that I'm worried about them, and probably some pointers around the things that I'm worried about, So the things that I'm seeing or hearing that are making me worry and why it's making me worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I think when people come in too strong and it's like you know, out of a good place, it's it doesn't sort of it leaves the more feeling judged, which is hard.
Speaker 2: And I think it's one of those aspects you were talking about before. Around there's certain things that are out of our control, like we can come with all the good intention, but yeah, it's just got to see how it all has in a way. Yeah, Yeah, it was interesting. You mentioned you spoke a bit about shame, and I think again, like when I was watching a lot of videos on Instagram and TikTok, I noticed a theme of shame or embarrassment that people feel after a situationship. So I guess I wouldn't want to hear from you, like what do you want to say to those people that are sitting in that at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's interesting that there's this almost like a self blame that comes with that. And I'm not sure if that's whether people are feeling shame that they didn't realize something was a situationship, or if it's more shame that they didn't I guess stand for themselves, like that they that they let their needs go by the wayside and that they prioritize somebody else, And then there's this kind of realization of like, oh, that person didn't really have my back and why was I so, you know, good to them. So I think there's a couple of things here. Is like the first one is the one where it's like I feel a bit bamboozled, like I thought this was a thing and obviously it wasn't. Part of that is I mean, that's life in terms of we will always be wanting to see the things that we want to see, and sometimes we're not ready to see the things that we don't. But it's also a learning experience. You know, I would be looking at Okay, was what did I miss? What were the things? So rather than looking at it with shame, it's like, Okay, let's get curious. I think curiosity is such a great tool to use in so many different ways. But if I'm too stuck in my shame, I'm just beating myself up and I'm not learning anything. And I would want to learn from things and hopefully not have it repeat, or at least if it is repeating, I might be aware a bit earlier in the piece. So yeah, getting curious around what were the things that I missed? What were the things that maybe I could have done so maybe asked for more clarity or communicated in a way that really was more upfront in the beginning, or you know, not let my needs kind of be secondary. So there are things that I might have contributed to this in a non self blaming way. It's just this was my part in that interaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the other side is that also, you know, if someone doesn't treat us, well, it's interesting that I feel ashamed about that. Yeah, that's their shame and they may not be ashamed in themselves and that's fine, but actually I'm carrying the shame for someone else's behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. Do you find that's a very common theme? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, particularly with you know, abuse and things like that. It's often the person who's been the recipient of abuse who feels in some way really ashamed of themselves, and it's you know, it's a very deep wound to try and work through. But really it's when one person is acting so shamelessly, it's almost like their shame gets transferred over to us and we're the ones carrying the shame which actually has nothing to do with us.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's massive. Yeah, And I really love that you're speaking to kind of the healing piece that can come, you know. And I love that you spoke about curiosity because I think that is like, yeah, the greatest teacher that we can have. Yeah, and I'm curious to know from you, like, is there anything else that you would advise from someone coming out of a situationship in order to heal in a healthy way. Is there anything else? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think the idea of rejection or not being wanted or not being good enough is a big piece around the coming out of a situationship because it's usually if you're the one who wanted it to become something more or you know, and it didn't. There's this idea of like if I had been different, or if I had been better, or if I'd been more beautifulh blah blah blah, like if I'd been funnier, like maybe you know, there's this kind of like self deprecating part. So looking at this sort of I guess rejection in general isn't actually a statement on who you are. It's just a statement on where the other person is at and where you're at, and that it wasn't the right time, place or thing. And so we do kind of fill in these gaps where it then becomes like, oh, no, it was something wrong with me, rather than like this just wasn't something that that person wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we make that leap and it's really unhelpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally, And it's so easy to kind of like measure all together. And I think what I'm hearing it is like not to make it a personal attack on your identity, your worthy, but just to see it purely as oh, this was just a misalignment and yeah, this is just it's not going to work and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I do think that there is then that whole scarcity thing. So it's like, Okay, I've been rejected and that hurts and that's normal, and it's okay to feel like, oh, you know, that wasn't to be in a you know, have your moment with it. But then it's like, okay, where is it that I feel I'm now you know that there's something wrong with me, or that there's something other people wouldn't like, you know, like, there isn't this. It doesn't need to carry on as a theme. It's just sort of like in this one instance, it wasn't what they wanted and that's okay, you know that whole I don't have to be everyone's cup of tea type of thing. Yeah, yeah, and that can be hard, particularly what people pleases or people you know, really want to be liked and all of that stuff. It's hard to build that muscle of going yeap. I might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that my cup of tea there is something wrong with it.
Speaker 2: There's no like consistency or stability like versus a secure one.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, so that's in a nutshell, the four main attachment styles. You can learn a bit more about it online. But if you sort of just reflect on what you act like when there's an argument with you and someone that you love, what are your fears, you know, and what is your way of coping, that would be a pretty good way to start having a think about what your attachment style is, and you know, thinking about your family relationships and the family you grew up in. You know, do I feel close and connected to my primary care givers? And based on where you're at and what your attachment style is, you will be able to know whether a situationship is going to work for you or whether that would actually be very stressful.
Speaker 2: I loved how Sarah gave us a lot of clarity around a topic that can feel like you're caughting a bit of a gray area. You can find links to Sarah's work in our show notes. If there's a topic you would like us to discuss or I guess you think would be a great fit for this podcast. Please get in touch with us at podcast at momamea dot com dot au or sliding to our dms on Instagram at but Are You Happy? Podcast? Also, if you haven't already, would love a review on app or Spotify. It really helps the show to grow, and of course, if there's anything in today's episode that has brought up difficult feelings for you, organizations like Lifeline and Beyond Blue are always there for free and confidential support. Thanks for listening. Tune it again next Saturday for another episode of But Are You Happy? Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded