Speaker 1: You're listening to another mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mumma Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gadigul people of the Eor nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and torres Rate Islander cultures.
Speaker 3: Hi, it's Anale's todd here from this Glorious Mess, introducing hot Pod Summer, one hundred hours of curated listening across the Mummamere network, just for you to escape the chaos and enjoy with the kids at home and the weather warming up. We've got episodes of Parents Anonymous to share. Parents Anonymous is part game show, part church confessional. You share your deepest parenting shame and myself and Stacey Hicks rate you, but the worst parenting wins the most points, so really you can't lose, and if you want more, there's a link in the show.
Speaker 1: Enjoy Parents Anonymous.
Speaker 3: Welcome to this Glorious Mess. I'm Annalise. I'm a single parent to two boys who are tween aged, so I secretly sniff other people's babies heads when their parents aren't looking.
Speaker 1: I love that from you and I'm Stacy Kicks. I'm the deputy editor here at MMA MIA, and I'm running on about four hour sleep because my toddler has decided that three am is a great time to party, which was a great time for me to party before I had her, Now not so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still party until three am sometimes, I'm single. Parents so cool. Yeah, welcome, Welcome back to Parents Anonymous, brought to you by this glorious mess.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Parents Anonymous, as you'll know by now, is part church confessional, part game show. So you tell us a story completely anonymously, as the name suggests, and get the guilt off your chest, and we give you made up points based on our very serious, very scientific grading system. And by very scientific and very serious, I mean vibes and vibes alone.
Speaker 3: It's a vibe check.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We thought to get you in the mood for confessing this week. We thought it's all very good and well for us to sit up on our hell and rape you and judge you from afar. But we actually haven't spilt any of our own tea.
Speaker 1: That's true. We haven't selfish. Yeah, we needed we need to get down in the trenches. It's elitist I have some really cooked ones, but I'm going to keep those for another day. Well, I'm going to tell you some of my little fun ones.
Speaker 3: It'll dip your toe in.
Speaker 1: I once spent one hundred and forty nine dollars on a starting solids guide for my baby that I never once used.
Speaker 3: Is it plastic tubs? Is it a machine?
Speaker 1: It was not even a real life book. It was a e book, one hundred and forty nine dollars with different recipes for mush, different ways to introduce allergens, different combinations.
Speaker 3: I didn't use it once, like a bit of banana in a bowl.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're talking about wasting money. Yeah, so do you still get the baby bonus when you have a baby. This was like twelve years ago, so the government gave and like I don't quote me, but it might have been like four or five grand.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I don't think you get that anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh well, this was the good old, heady days of the baby bonus. I think maybe k Ruj was in charge. Thank you. I spent all of that on a very expensive, obnoxious coffee table.
Speaker 1: I love that you're about to be stuck at home with a baby. You're going to be staring at that coffee table.
Speaker 3: You might as well like it aligned to proof. Yep, And this show it just it doesn't exist without your guilty confessions. So we want more of them. If you want to be fully anonymous, you can just email us. We'll never mention your name. Just have a look in the show notes. All the confession options are there for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And on today's show, we have three new mystery confessions that we haven't heard, and they are screens as co parents. Anywhere is a toilet? Yes, and out of sight, out of mind, great, I can't wait, great time, let's get into that bait.
Speaker 3: You got me? Yeah, And so for them, these ones stays just so that we could secure the an I can't say anonymmity, how do you say? Love it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: That was perfect anonominimity.
Speaker 1: Yep, we'll roll with that.
Speaker 3: That word. We're going to be reading these out.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going to voice them for you.
Speaker 3: It's like a sermon.
Speaker 1: So, my four year old daughter watches about three hours of TV a day, and I have no plans to change this. The concept of limiting TV is not part of my vocabulary. But maybe I'm the poster child for bad parenting. My nine year old son watches TV and plays video games for many hours a week. Adults say bad words in front of him. He knows what beer is. He doesn't drink it though, of course, and he doesn't brush his teeth twice a day. Oh well, that wasn't me saying, oh well, that was from the person who submitted this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, this there's a lot to unpack here. So the first one was the four year old and the TV. I mean, you know that there are guidelines from the government, a strangy government about how much screen time I think under five at zero hours now, I would say that there would be zero point zero zero zero zero one percent of the population that abides by that.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Yeah, absolutely, And look it does when you are in the trenches, especially when they're around this age, you need TV to help you. But you do feel horrible when you're doing it, Like every time you switch it on because you need a break or they demand to watch another episode of Bluey. You do feel bad putting them in front of a screen and thinking, am I damaging their little mind? Is this appropriate content? Maybe for the first child? The time when I second came out it was the pepper pig era and he, I swear to God, had a British accent. My daughter has a little bit of a British accent. She does ee Mummy, which is very cute. But we put on bluey to you know, even out the accent, so that's all fine.
Speaker 3: The second thing there was the nine year old son YEP, and video games and TV. Again I think for that age bracket, I think it's about two hours a week.
Speaker 1: But please, maybe there's also a guide on how much chocolate I'm meant to eat a week, and I'm ignoring that totally. So I'm actually with you on this.
Speaker 3: Do you know on that I do have a parenting strategy here. When my kids first went and discovered Fortnite, I thought, oh, life is over. I think it was school holidays. It just didn't coincide with a good time. There was no limits. But you know what, they eventually got sick of it. It was that binge until you cannot consume no more. So maybe that this child is on the path to that.
Speaker 1: I do actually think sometimes that works. If you've got an unlimited supply of something, you're not that interested in it anymore because it's just there whenever you want it. You're letting them make the decision. It's intuitive for them.
Speaker 3: It's intuitive streaming, screen parenting. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I actually think that's really great in that aspect. So good on you.
Speaker 3: Now the teeth, Oh look, I mean it is tricky to get boys to brush their teeth. Yes, this is the one thing that I would probably push for as a parent with a child that has had a few feelings.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a long term investment, isn't it. I hadn't even thought of it.
Speaker 3: You do the teeth brushing, I would say more just for the saving of the ball ache of going to the dentist and getting a filling. I would recommend pushing a little harder on that particular one.
Speaker 1: I think ones they've got their adult teeth, you know what their baby teeth are gonna come out anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nine you do have them, so you do? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, the grown up teeth.
Speaker 1: Can you tell I've only got a three year old? Yes, I've got that.
Speaker 3: Stay at least I'm here for you to show you the air of your future.
Speaker 1: Way, So what are we rating this one?
Speaker 3: I think that this one, I just feel like she's doing a great job. Yeah, there's a little room for improvement, but you know, we can all improve. No one's nailing every area of life parenting. No, I'm going to give her eight fillings out of ten.
Speaker 1: You know what I love about this and what the absence of in this is there's no guilt. Yes, she's not feeling bad. She's actually proud of herself for this, and I love that. So for that, I'm going to give her a few extra points and she can have eight and a half screens out of ten.
Speaker 3: All right, moving on, anywhere is a toilet. I'm going to read out this confession to protect the annominymity?
Speaker 1: Are we going to change the name parents and an anonymity in this?
Speaker 3: Might learn how to say that work for next time. I had a very colicky, unsettled baby, and when she was about five months old, I had to drive with her alone in the car for about an hour to a specialist. I was terrified the whole time and so frazzled getting everything organized that I forgot to pee. So by the time I pulled up at the address, I was busting, and that pelvic floor was not in top shape anymore. I hadn't been able to stop on the wave because, as anyone knows, if you stop even for a second of the baby, they'll scream and you'll cry, and it'll just be a total mess. So when I pulled up, it was in a residential street. There were no toilets around, and by that point the dam was about to burn. I didn't know if the specialists had a waiting room toilet or even where the entrance was, so in a moment of desperation, I had to pull out two of my daughter's nappies and just release right there in the car. My poor baby had to stay in the same nappy for four hours because I then had to ration her for the rest of the day. So let's unpack from the top. I want to hear what you think of this first. A one hour drive with a five month off is a ball ake, was brave. There's points for bravery just in that mission alone. Your pelvic floor will never be in good shape again.
Speaker 1: Let's just sw You and I both know this well.
Speaker 3: I am what last baby nine years postpartum LBL. It's a lifelong condition.
Speaker 1: It is. You and I cross our legs every time we laugh at one another. We're doing it we're doing it right now, just in case.
Speaker 3: I'm actually I'm surprised that producer Grace doesn't put plastic on our chairs. I called this, it's that dire, this grab for nappies. It's a macguiva move.
Speaker 1: It is it is.
Speaker 3: It is quick thinking, it's protecting the car seats. And I think if there had to be a choice between mum being wet or a baby living in a wet nappy for four hours, I definitely choose the baby.
Speaker 1: An Alice, I'm going to say something, and I'm glad you think all of these things because, in the spirit of confessions, that is actually me. That was me you I had to go in a nappy. I told you I have a week pelvic floor.
Speaker 3: You wat in the car into two nappy Look, because.
Speaker 1: If I had questions much, ok, you can ask me the answers. You can ask me while I was busting. Look, it was desperate times. It was a bear grills macguy iv a move.
Speaker 3: That's what I said, mcgui.
Speaker 1: I had no option. I had to go. It was either there or in my tights on the side of the street.
Speaker 3: My first question is why did you two nappies? Because because I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know how much liquid they feel very heavy after a full night and your baby in them, but I didn't. I needed to have a second layer of protection in cave.
Speaker 3: And then my other question is did anyone walk past? No?
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, but it was. There was little old men that walked past. Right before I got to this point. As I was, I had a bit of a Sophie's choice moment where I just didn't know what to do. Like I was like, do I get the baby out? Do I do this? I don't know what to do. I was panicking, and so I went with this option. Oh, I actually can't believe I've admitted this on a public podcast, but here we are either I am thrilled. Well, look, so what are you rating me? I'm raiding myself a ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: Obviously for the mcguiver like quick thinking that just alone is impressive for sparing your car and your clothes, but for the bravery of publicly share this, attaching a name and a face and knowing how you know you actually do get embarrassed in life. I do. For me to admit this, it wouldn't be as brave, But for you, I'm going eleven. Nappies out of all. Oh, thanks my highest score.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think I deserve it. It's a good sight.
Speaker 3: Out of mind. Do the reading.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Stacy. My fourth baby was a few months old and still breastfeeding through the night. My husband was into state for work when the four kids and I all got a stomach bug. I had two year old twins in nappies and the diarrhea was so runny that no nappy could contain it. There was literal boo buddles around the house, but I was so sick that I just had to put a towel down on top of the puddles and leave them for later. It was absolutely foul. I'm convinced there is no possible sickness scenario worse than this.
Speaker 3: Two year old.
Speaker 1: Twins and snappies and a stomach bug for all five of them.
Speaker 3: And your solo parenting.
Speaker 1: Ah, look, you deserve a gold medal just for the parenting of four well children. In my eyes, yes, on a.
Speaker 3: Regular day without a Poonami, crist exactly.
Speaker 1: That is an incredible feat. Minus the pooh puddles. Just how you get through every day. This is awful. This is one of those scenarios where you go. This has to be a joke, like, this isn't my actual life.
Speaker 3: And you know what the hardest thing is, there's no one you can call it. No, you cannot invite another human into that environment. No, there's pooh on the floor, there's towels. I hope there wasn't dogs, because that just would have added the dogs had been eating the pooh. Like, I'm just hoping there wasn't a dog in that scenario.
Speaker 1: This is pretty much as bad as it gets. But I think you did exactly what you needed to do in that moment and just get through it. Stick a towel on top of it. Deal with it later, you know how, Like you close the laundry door. Yeah, as far as you're concerned, it's cleaning there, and you deal with it later.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping the towels wire put in the bin, not washed. Yeah, just a small look.
Speaker 1: But I hope you had a few good budget towels on hand that you were ready to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to put those in the washing machine. That's just straight in the bin. Scoop it up in the bin, Glen twenty, move on. Yeah, this is a hurt locker. Yeah kind of scenario. This is a this is war.
Speaker 1: I think it's fabulous that you shared this, and so I'm giving you nine and a half pooh puddles out of ten. That's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you nine pounamis. Yeah, yeah, a lot of strong finish. I still think that anywhere is a toilet, which was the theme of your overshare which I read out, which I will never forget as long as I live. I think that you are the winner of today. I can't wait to tell everyone about this at work and for everyone to hear it.
Speaker 1: So if you've got a confession, we'd love to hear it. Please send us your secret chains. All the details are in the show notes, and I promise you they are so anonymous that producer Grace didn't even know that that one was mine, so really didn't know.
Speaker 3: No one knew.
Speaker 1: You are completely anonymous. It doesn't even show up your emails and not send them on through.
Speaker 3: A nonminimity guarantee guarantee Indeed, we'll see you next scene, next time. If you're looking for something else to listen to, Mama Miya is officially presenting one hundred hours of summer listens from Meaningful conversations to incredible stories, fashion, beauty, and more. There's a link in the show notes