Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with mea podcast from Mamma Mia. Welcome to this bill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Broadney and I'm and welcome to Weekend Watch, our weekly episode where we talk about the best new TV shows and movies that have just come out so you know what to watch it for the weekend. And this is a jam packed episode.
Speaker 2: A lot of things happen several weeks.
Speaker 1: We are looking through the depths of streaming services to find some good new stuff to recommend to you guys. And sometimes, like today, the docket is so full with stuff that we could do a whole episode on each that we're going to try and squeeze it all in before we get into two movies that are very highly anticipated and that we're going to talk a lot about. Can I quickly give you a recommendation for the weekend for a new show that has just dropped on Netflix? It is my brilliant career love that. Have you read the book I haven't reader? I think you woud actually love the book Can I Tell You? Written by Miles Franklin. Might have heard him one of the most famous authors. The book came out one hundred and twenty five years ago really holds up.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: It just goes to show that really girls have just been going through the same thing. I'm seeing their whole lives. So this is an adaptation, a TV series adaptation of the iconic book. It was made into a movie many many years ago, but this has kind of put a different spin on it. And it's about a young woman called Sabella played by Australian actress philipp And Northeast. So Sybylla is that classic thing of like she wants a big life, she wants to be a writer, she wants to explore and see the world, very kind of Joe March of her Anne of green Gables, all my favorite literary girls. But of course she lives in a time where her only job is to get married well and get married young and be a wife and have a family. And she lives in this like tiny little rural place called Possum Gully, and she moves to this big, lavish estate to live with her aunt with the hopes that she will find a rich and suitable high husband. But of course she sees it as a way to like see the world, and she's like, I'm going to write about the world. I need to see it.
Speaker 2: There's always like a flamboyant rich aunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that's literally my dream to be. My whole life has been building up with me to being the rich, crazy aunt, and I feel like I'm well on my way. Maybe not the rich part, the crazy aunt part on we'll get there. But of course her story kind of takes a bit of a twist because there is a love story involved and things get a little bit complicated.
Speaker 2: So it's a series.
Speaker 1: It's a series. It's a six part series, which is really interesting way to do anything because it really fleshes out the book and the story and an Australia in Australia. Yes, it's a strange story and filmed in Australia. Actually, Chelsea Hoy from our entertainment team, who's often we often pull her onto the spill, went to the set when they were filming My Brilliant Career, so she got to see the lavish estate and they wear a bus and all those things.
Speaker 2: I don't think she did, Chelsea.
Speaker 1: I should have sent her in him on it. That's a hr call waiting to happen. Chelsea just wrote her behind the scenes piece about going to the set of My Brilliant Career this week, and there was a part in it they thought was really lovely because she talks about it being on the set, and then later on she interviewed Philippa, who plays the lead role, and Philippa said that because it was like an all female production team, like how often does that happen? Like female writers, directors, producers. She said she walked into a room during pre production and she just saw all the women who were making the TV show crying together, and she was like, oh my god, they're all crying, like I don't even know these people. And then when she realized that it was the emotion hitting them of like a group of women together being able to tell this story and how often like there's no women in the room or there's one, So the fact they were all together was huge and then she started crying. So that was really beautiful. Chelsea's piece in our show notes it's worth reading, and I just thought that was a really important part of the story to sort of no, don't watch this now, I think you'll really like it.
Speaker 2: I already know my story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen a few reviews be like, oh, it's like it's a chiconic story, and they've made it a bit like wishy washy, a bit Mills and boom like they've into the romance, and I was like, hell, yeah, let's do that. I really liked I've watched the first couple of episodes. I really liked it. And I have read the book before and I've seen the movie, so I'm well versed in it. But I really liked this interpretation of the story, and I think it's one of those stories you could one hundred percent easily go into with no idea what it's about. Actually, sometimes that's better not reading the book, not knowing the characters, because then you'll, you know, really become invested in the story. So it's six episodes. It's out on Netflix now, my brilliant career.
Speaker 2: Make sure you watch it. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Okay me again, So I'm back. We've had a full week of movie premieres. I know, I literally got off a flight from being away in Queensland for like twelve days, and can I tell you, I have not done grocery shopping, I have not washed my clothes. I'm not unpacked a suitcase. I'm a shell of a human being.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you basically live out a suitcase.
Speaker 1: Now I know, well I will once I unpack it. I had, let me say tell you. Coming to work today, I was like, I'm down to like I nearly wore like an old ball gown bridesmaid's dress. That's how deep I had to reach into my cover to find things. Anyway, it's all been worth it because we've had a really good run of movies this week, so it's been worth it. So this is a movie premiere that I went to this week that unfortunately you can attend, but I'm going to tell you about it. It is a movie that we have been talking about on this podcast since the trailer was released. I know, and that trailer was insane and the movie is one night only, unofficially known as a sex purge movie.
Speaker 2: Finding love is hard enough. Tried doing it on the one night a year single people were legally allowed to have sex.
Speaker 1: This night's insane. I just want to find like a good guy.
Speaker 2: To finding true love on the least romantic night of the year. Nights almost over and we're running out of time. We're all just trying to find someone who makes going through it worth it.
Speaker 1: It's called the sex Purge movie, because when the trailer came out, remember I should it cheer on the podd and I was like, this is the Purge, but as a rom com. So first of all, if you're not across the Purge, it's a movie franchise. The sequels are questionable. The original movie is great in America. Of course, in modern day times, in order to stop crime, all crime is like highly illegal as it is most of the time in real life, except for one night a year where you can commit any crime you on, murder, theft, anything, and get away with it. Yeah, and it's like, how does society deal with that one night? Only? While they say has nothing to do with the Purge has a sort of similar premise in this movie. Pre marital sex has been outlawed in the US, and in the movie they do explain exactly how that happened. It's the same way all these things happen in real life, is that a group of politicians were voted in, they got into a room and they decided to push this through and they're in power, so it just happens.
Speaker 2: It also seems like something that could potentially happen.
Speaker 1: It did not seem that wild. It's kind of like when Margaret Atwood wrote The Handmaid's Tale and people were like, this is crazy, and she said, there's nothing in this book that hasn't happened in history at some point and in society.
Speaker 2: And like she read that in like the forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's crazy and it doesn't seem that out of place now. So yeah, so in One Night only pre mar all sex has been outlawed, and they do have a way to track it, which is crazy. They have like a thing on their wrist. I won't go into it, but they have.
Speaker 2: All they're masturbating.
Speaker 1: No, there's ways to kind of know what kind of I do believe, So yes, interesting, are you making a continuity? More like they have these senses on their wrist and if you're single, they're red, and if you're married, they're green, which means that you can have sex. And it sends up if.
Speaker 2: You have sex with another married person and you're married as well.
Speaker 1: I actually think that might be a loophole. WHOA can I say the movie did not dive into this. It the movie didn't like they explain how it happened. That it's a mandate. A lot of people don't like the mandate but they obviously have to sort of adhere to it. There's a scene whether they're like saying to police officers, is this what you want to spend your time doing, Like why you're resting people for having pre marital sex? And the police officers like, well, I have a pension to protect, like and this is the law. I have to uphold it. So there is that, But I'm gonna say it's not that type of movie. They're not delving into like the legalities of the mandate that much. They're not delving into the repercussions or anything. It's a rock com Okay, So yeah, no pre marital sex for anyone. You have a scanner on your wrist, and if you start to have sex, it like triggers something in the sensor that then the police will be called and they'll comes to your home, they'll arrest you, and people go to jail for going against the band aid, which brings us to it's coming up to the one night of the year where pre marital sex is allowed, and there's like a government thing where they're explaining like, see, we can meet people in the middle, we can come to a compromise, so we meet our leading Lady Ali played by Monica Babaro Oscar nominee. Love her. A lot of people know her from Top Gun Madreak. She was also in that Timothy Shallame movie that I can never say the name of.
Speaker 2: A completely unknown Yeah. She was also in Remember I recommended this really niche TV show starring Arnold Schwarzenegger called Fuber.
Speaker 1: She was in that. Wow, good job Monica.
Speaker 2: She I think I'd have gone too famous for now. She's probably won't be the next season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say so. She's great. So she plays Allie. So Alie is a single woman in her mid thirties living in New York, and she wants to be a singer, and she's got a beautiful voice, which is lovely because Monica Babara also has a beautiful voice and is a singer. But she can't sing in front of crowds that old chestnut. It's th very high school musical gens and so instead she sings like commercial jingles. So like she she sings like famous songs, but like re sings them to promote products. So she and her friend have this whole plan that they're going out to find the love of their life. Everyone just calls it the night. Everyone knows what the night means. So she dresses up and she finishes work. She's like all like the nights, starting goes home, puts on like a beautiful classy dress because her and a friend just neim to have like we're gonna just classy. They go to their first bar and they're like, we're gonna take our time this year. We're gonna go slow. We're not just gonna hook up with anyone. We're gonna find our prince charming. Her friend just meets a guy in a bathroom line within ten minutes and they look up and leave. So then Allie's left by herself and she ends up going home and through like her roommate restyles her into like this crazy sequined Vinnie dress, which is the dressy wear star at the movie is probably what you've seen the post. Then also we have Owen played by Callum Turner.
Speaker 2: Who was at the premiere.
Speaker 1: He was at the premiere. He came to Australia. People call him mister doua leaper because he've married do a lipa there. Well, here's the thing she's on officially in Australia. She hasn't been pitched or seen. I have heard on the grape vine that she is here interesting, but I also that girl loves a restaurant, she loves a cute cafe, she loves a bookstore. I just don't think that. I don't personally think that doua Leaper's in Sydney and has not been seen at a restaurant having like a an entreere. So he plays Owen and he has this whole night prepared where he is taking his girlfriend played by Maya Hawk, out to dinner and he thinks that they're gonna like this is going to cement their relationship. At the dinner, she's like, hey, I want to sleep with someone else tonight. Just yeah, this is all in the first like three seconds of the movie. This is a yeah, this is not a okay. And so she goes off to sleep with someone else that she's pre set up at their apartment so we can't go there. She's year they can do it sex crazy. He goes to his mom's house and when the door opens, you see his mom. I gasped out loud, like I can't. I knew she's in the movie, but it's just such a moment. It's Molly Ringwold. Do you know who that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like why she was in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she plays his mom.
Speaker 2: She's so good his mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his mom. No, that's age appropriate, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, sure.
Speaker 1: I think they're about twenty years apart. Molly Ringwold, for anyone who doesn't know, was the girl of like teen rom coms in the eighties, pretty in pink, all those kind of and she has gone on to be in a lot of rom com teen things since then. Like she I can't remember.
Speaker 2: The last time I really saw her. I feel like, like in my head, she's only a person I see, like on a red carpet. But I haven't like she was.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's been a lot. She often pops up in a movie, like if it's a true homage to rom coms, Molly Ringwoll be in it. But she like played Archie's mum in Riverdale. Yeah, she that kind of thing. So then you have you, Well, then you have Owen and Alle out on the street to New York and the night starts and they have a meet keit. They meet on the street and you think, oh my god, they're instantly attracted to each other. This is it, and then something happens where she's disgusted by him, and then the night just turns into this craziness of just everything that could go wrong goes wrong for both of them, and they keep being drawn back together. They keep trying to separate Ali and Owen, but they keep being drawn back together. The thing is like, you also will go to jail if you have unprotected sex. This is the thing. No one of this movie had good planning. A lot of people go out to find the person they want to have sex with that night. To me, that's very high stakes crunch and some point this is meant to be a comedy. My heart was beating so fast as like time is running out. Why didn't you have some people lined i'p to have sex with, which some people do, but also you kind of have sex with that protection, like that's against the law and they will know so then on that night, No, that night, Yeah, that's that's the whole thing. You can have sex as a person, but you must have a condom? Can anyone finelon? No? Do they have to steal one from a store? Do it then go down and drain and they have to get it out and all this kind of stuff happens.
Speaker 2: Then they have to all the stores to put their prices really hard.
Speaker 1: Oh they do. They go to buy the one that's left and she's like, that'll be two hundred dollars, and everyone's trying to pay for it. Everyone wants to Everyone's like three hundred day take it. We just need that one condom. And I'm also just like, guys, preparation. I know this is bad. You shouldn't have to do this. The government is evil, but also preparation for the night. So as it goes on, Ali and Omen keep trying to hook up with other people but keep being thrown back together. And at first they really dislike each other, but then obviously as the night goes on, I fall in love. Well, I won't spoil the ending.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: So it's directed also by Will Glock, who it does a lot of rom comms, including Anyone but You.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He has always said that his whole thing about a rom com. He's like, you can leave or take anything else, set script anything if the leads are good and you believe that they're falling in love. And I really respect him for that because I also believe that is the key to good rom com. Can I say in this Monica Barbaro is she's a movie star. She is great, she's got a good leading lady. And Callum Turner is fine. He's not a movie star, but he's a solid actor. Loved him an eternity. He's a solid actor. He doesn't like doing Red car but you can tell he's very He's very wooden, end just but sweet, but sweet lovely to everyone who interviewed him. That's a huge plus, not a Hollywood big head kind of thing. Like they are very British. He's very British. So the thing is all through the movie. Monica is great in every seat, and he's great when he's with her. Yeah, okay, so they do work together, and I fully I loved their chemistry. I wanted them to kiss so badly. That's all I care about. Now. This has been called the sex purge movie, and I just need to warn you because I want you to hear it in a safe I don't know what you're gonna say, there's not really any sex in it.
Speaker 2: What's the point?
Speaker 1: Well, Will Gluck thinks that sex takes people out of the movie, and I'm like, Will, I was on your side. I was rooting for you. You care about chemistry. I came about chemistry. You care about actors. I came about actors. And then you're like, oh, sex text people are the story. Well yeah, if it has no place.
Speaker 2: I bet they had the same test audience as people meet them.
Speaker 1: I do think a test audience was involved in some of this. So don't go into this movie thinking that you'll see any sexy time. Maybe you won't even see a real kiss. Oh no, it's not that type of movie. But it's really fun and I really liked it. The only thing is, like I'm out there searching my everywhere, searching and just willing to give all my own for a rom com to come into my life that I love so much that I want to watch over and over and over again. Some people that I saw this movie with so they will watch it over and over again. Personally, I wouldn't. I'm a bit one and done with it. Like it was great to watch, highly recommend also watching it in a cinema because people around us were screaming and laughing and like, it's a fun cinema watch. But I don't think it's a classic rom com. But it's really good. Okay, and you need to watch it. Yeah, I really and I actually want to watch your face watching it. Okay, it'll be so fun.
Speaker 2: I really want to take your parents. I've just been spending so much money the cinema. I think I'm just wait till streaming.
Speaker 1: Well, someone said, Emma, free ticket to go and see because she missed the premier lead and they were serving pizza because he makes pizza in the movie. It's a whole thing. So one night only and cinemas now highly recommend you see. Okay, just no sex, sex sad.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now I want to talk about a movie that we both recently watched together. We went to this early screening for it in Sydney. It's called The End of Oak Street. Looks like the whole neighborhood's lost power. That's that.
Speaker 1: I think that our neighborhood, our whole street. No, the hell is not even possible. And just to preface this, guys, just so you know, one a momentous occasion you're about to experience, is that we have been looking for to this movie for so long. Out of all the Anne Hathaway movies coming out this year, and there are a lot, this is the top of our list, but also very special for you because you love dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: I love dinosaurs, and this is a dinosaur movie. I'van Hathaway, I love you and McGregor like, this was a good good.
Speaker 1: The stakes could not have been higher. And also, just to preface what you're about to hear, we both went to the screening. We sat separately, and we have not disgusted for you guys for the listeners. We have not talked about it. So what you're about to hear is our unfiltered thoughts.
Speaker 2: I thought wholeheartedly this was the perfect movie.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, oh my god. I was Actually I'm so glad you liked it because as we were watching the movie, I didn't know where you were in the cinema, and it was a pack cinema, a huge one, and I kept looking around and be like, oh, I hope, I hope Emily is liking this because the stakes could not be high.
Speaker 2: Like, I love this movie so much.
Speaker 1: It is such an incredible movie to watch with the crowd. I cannot remember when is the last time we went and sat in the cinema and people were screaming, clapping, cheering, laughing.
Speaker 2: It was like the last Deadpool movie. Which was like years ago, and I was leading that yield understanding of action from LB and it's.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, it was such an it was such an incredible not only movie, but this movie experience. Yeah, and I do think you have to watch it in the cinema. If you could have to watch it with the crowd we watched it with, all the better. But if you can't really create that, it's so bizarre.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Jurassic Park enterprise has really honed in on like where the ones doing dinosaurs. No one else can touch dinosaurs. And to be fair, every other movie that tried to show dinosaurs in it just didn't hit the mark. We had that weird movie called sixty three.
Speaker 1: I think it was also I'm not as up on dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: They start like Adam Driver, where he's like on this prehistoric planet battling dinosaurs. Lame. Then so many other dinosaur movies come up lame, and then Jurassic Park has just been like, let's she going with this Jurassic World after world after world after world, to the point where I'm sorry to say the last Jurassic World, it Scarla Johansen, was so subper.
Speaker 1: And it had the most incredible cast. It is the most incredible cart and it had the best idea, budget, everything, but it just didn't work. Infact, all of the Jurassic World movies have left me cold. Yeah, And I was just like, I'm not the dinosaur fan that you are, but I love the original Jurassic Park. Obviously, we did a whole episode recently, and then I went and watched all the other Jurassic Park movies again and I was like to me, I actually said, as we came out of the cinema last night, I said, for me, in order of dinosaur movies, it's the original Jurassic Park. Then it's the end of Oak Street.
Speaker 2: That's the end of Oak Street.
Speaker 1: That's how high this movie is in a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Movies, the dinosaurs in the end of Oak Street are accurately depicted.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can I tell you because in our Jurassic Park episode, you were telling me and I had no idea you knew this much about dinosaurs. It's like your special interest area. You were telling me about the colours they should be and like the texture of their skin. And as we were watching this movie this week and hath always running from a dinosaur, I was like, I do think that that's accurate. Like I think Emily would think that this is Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was quite accurate, and actually, you know it was the most accurate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How like they also like played with like some of the inaccuracies of like dinosaurs just constantly trying to chase people. Yeah, and like most dinosaurs, if you know, would like eat their prey and then literally fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Well they're normal animals, reah, They're.
Speaker 2: Like a cyclops. Yeah, like eat and then sleep, that's their pattern. And then it's all these movies.
Speaker 1: That's a reference that Emily is not saying cyclops is real. You're like, it's like Cyclops is dinosaurs, lions.
Speaker 2: Firstly, dinosaurs are here, and then cyclops are real no sorry, from the Odyssey, and then every dinosaur movie well because it has to be tension, right, so the dinosaurs are always a bad guy. So I'm like that's fair. But what was really accurate with this is that they had a spinosaurus, which is more aggressive and more dangerous than a t rex.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I did not pick up on that.
Speaker 2: The one that's like leaning against the house and the one that first chases the yeah, with the big like spine thing on, so much more scary than t Rex.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, crazy, tell people the premise of the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, sorry, end of Oak Street. It's about this little family I think they called the Platte family, living on the street called Oak Street. It's set in the nineteen eighties. I actually didn't know it was set in the nineteen eighties until right at the end of the movie where they addressed it, when they actually said the date of the movie.
Speaker 1: She's on a typewriter. Yeah, she said, I'll go to the library, and she takes a photo on all cameras, like, I'll go to the library. Look this up.
Speaker 2: So I bought my friend and I was like, what year do you think this movie set in? And I was like, you're gonna hate me. I was like, maybe early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Emily, that's crazy. It's so clearly the eighties. Can I actually think they say it's nineteen eighty one or something like that, So that's before I was born. Well, if it's the early two thousands, why weren't they googling what was happening when the Oh.
Speaker 2: The internet wasn't like that in the early two thousand.
Speaker 1: No, But like when the weird plant. This is before the dinosaurs come, when weird stuff's happening. She's golding downstairs to type on a typewriter. It that's where they're analog activity and they have like a corded analogue old school phone. So true, no one has a phone. They're also wearing eighties clothing and they have eighties haircuts. It could not be Okay, we can't talk about that. Yeah, I did that.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, it could be the early two thousands. I just don't know why they dressed you when McGregor.
Speaker 1: Are so badly Okay. It's a huge plot point that it's in that it's a suburban Middle America, suburban family in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, starring obviously Anne Hathaway, you and McGregor. They play a married couple with two kids. Mazie Stella, who I didn't really recognize until halfway through the movie. She's in one of our favorite movies WI Old Ass Yeah, with Aubrey Plasen. She's amazing in that she plays the daughter and then they have a youngest son as well, Brian Brian. They're a really tight knit family. They live on one of those streets where the streets have its own fairs and fats, and everyone every party, everyone knows everyone in the neighborhood and the suburb. And also, while this whole movie is going on, the two of them have relationship issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's secretly writing a book that's like a thinly veiled account of her own life where it's a better a woman who wants to leave her family. And he's hiding a bit of a secret that you find out later why he's always having to go out of the house and do things. And they're just having this like marital situation where she's like, you gloss over all our problems and you're he's like, you're making the problems. And the kids are very aware watching them five that something's wrong.
Speaker 2: Then one night, at around eleven PM, all their power shuts off and their neighborhood is transported to a different time in history. And because we talked about dinosaurs before, I guess you can guess what time period.
Speaker 1: What time period do you think it is? Officially you're a dinosaur girl, it would be the Jurassic It would be okay, because I have no way to fact check that I think there was a t rex from what I think, and there was also stegosauruses, and there were no triceratops because tri seratops are actually from a different period.
Speaker 2: My mind sometimes which Jurassic Park, which Jurassic Park didn't got wrong because everyone loves try Yeah Jackie right, Yeah, they're so cute.
Speaker 1: So yes, this family, like they think a storm has just knocked out all the power and everything which has happened, not realizing that because of these portal things that have opened, that their street has been just dropped in the middle of this dinosaur time and some of their neighbors just get ripped apart. They have to figure out how to survive.
Speaker 2: Yes, and how scary were the raptors, Oh, my god, terrifying. They always make raptors the scary dinosaur, which they are because they they're.
Speaker 1: So fast and because they're they're the same like kind of height as the human so like with some of the bigger dinosaurs that are chasing them, they could jump into a house or something and get away from they can't be seen, but.
Speaker 2: A very aggressive and like mischievous like they're always like ye work in packs. To me, they're like the prehistoric version of chihuahuas.
Speaker 1: Annoying and always there into any space so they can kill you. And they look small, but they're aggressive. What I loved about this movie it's like, obviously, the performances are great and Hathaway is great, and the idea is very good. Like drop a suburban street from the eighties in dinosaur time and see what happens. That would have been enough, and it could have just been people running from dinosaurs. The story beats and the creativity of the situations they get into with the dinosaurs is so incredible. People were literally like gasping at moments. It's also like you're on the edge of your seat because the stakes feel so high and like the dinosaurs are like chasing people and people actually do die. And it's also funny as hell.
Speaker 2: It has so many like dark comedic elements that are just like mind blowingly funny, Like the whole cinema were like cry laughing during some of the scenes. And I love, I absolutely love Anne Hathaway doing physical comedy like that and doing like physical action like that. She gives it her all, and she's been having such a good run this year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, She's had a lot of movies come out and she's been. Actually, this is so hard. She's been in all of them. Yeah, because it's easy. I mean, if you're a good actor, you can be in a not good movie, like the direction and the editing can be really bad. But she's had this incredible run where she's been great in every role.
Speaker 2: I reckon she should be nominated for every movie.
Speaker 1: Everyone thinks she's gonna win an oscar for the Odyssey, but then she wins at the end of Oakue Street, which she actually don't.
Speaker 2: She should just.
Speaker 1: Also felt so fresh this movie and so just unlike anything I'd seen before. But it also felt like those classic like family and venture movies from the eighties. Like again, it also it felt Jurassic Park esque. It also felt like et It felt a bit like the It felt like that sort of place.
Speaker 2: I think what's different about this as like a modern action movie, which it definitely was, was that they gave room for the character arcs to also happen. Like each character like Ewan McGregor's character is like pretty much a wet blanket until he does something really drastic that like redeems his whole character and and had the way it goes from being like this writer who's like one job is to like care for her family and like figure out what's going on and deal with everything. And then she's put into like the such powerful position of like literally physically protecting their children, and then their children are shit, which they always are. And these Anamal.
Speaker 1: Movies, I know, everyone was like, I hate those kids. I'm like, but guys, kids would just be annoying and upset and scared at the end of the world, like they just would be. We've been lulled into a false sense of security because we grew up watching all these movies where something bad happens and the kids save the world, and that's just not historically accurate.
Speaker 2: And the star of the movie Starbuck or the dog the dog I want okay, like before this is a spoiler, but you need to know the dog doesn't die.
Speaker 1: People have googled that, Yeah, everywhere. People are so worried. I personally don't care in a movie if a dog dies, but in a movie I have to stress that, but people get really upset about that. I know there's a website called does the Dog Die that will tell you in every movie or TV shows the dog die.
Speaker 2: To the point where I need a sequel to this movie from the dog's perspective, because I just know that dog had the best time.
Speaker 1: And when the dog was out there saving lives getting things, he knew what was happening before anyone else did. He's the real hero of this movie. It also has I feel like I'm mosteening to see again. There's so many hidden moments which I'm going to say that maybe you missed if you didn't know if it was in the eighties. There's so many hidden moments at the start, there's all hidden east strokes at the end, all these little kind of plot twists and stuff. But it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good. So the whole premise of the movie is they're in this like big like time period and then they just have to find their way back to their house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: So it's like a fun adventure. Exactly what you said. But end of Oak Street, Adam Tinus highly recommend you watch this one.
Speaker 1: Watch it with an audience.
Speaker 2: Get it's so much fun. Well, thank you so much for listening to the spiel today. Do not forget that we have our Friday episode coming up later this afternoon. We're doing a very special movie round up based on one of our weekend watches. I'm not going to tell you which one. It's going to be a surprised but it is so so good, So make sure you tune back in and we will see you then.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, La Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gadigal people of the Oronation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.