Speaker 1: You're listening to another mea podcast Hello Unleashes Me and Friedman back in your ears. You know, there are some women who you feel like you've known your whole life. You grew up with them on your TV. You know their voice and their face and their jokes, and especially you know their hair. In the case of Mary Coustas, sometimes the woman behind the character has a story that's even more interesting. So many of you have fallen in love with Unleashed and told us we want to know more about the incredible hosts that are on the couch every week. We want to go deep. We want to get to know them a little bit better, one on one and fair enough. Because I love them too, which is why I was so excited to bring them together for this show. Today, I'm bringing you something from the archive that you are going to love. Yes, I've already spoiled it. It's Marycustas, the big hearted, brilliant, wildly funny woman behind the character of Effie from Acropolis. Now and now she is still around. I saw her just a few weeks ago in her live show, which I would encourage you to go watch if you possibly can. But before she was Unleashed on this couch. Mary sat down with me on the No Filter Couch or behind the No Filter Mike when I used to host that podcast, and we had a conversation that went really deep. She has a very wise presence, I think is the best way of putting it on unleashed, and you're about to find out why. She's like the mother of the group, and she's also like the Yoda of the group. She sits there, she listens, she takes it all in, and then she just comes out with a cracking pearla. I reckon. This episode will hit you right in the heart. Here is our beloved Mary Custace.
Speaker 2: When death and life arrive at the same moment, you know it's you know, I mean, you imagine it. You just don't know what to expect. Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm mea Friedman and welcome to No Filter, a podcast where there is no such thing as too much information. Joining me today is Mary Custas, or, as you might know her, Effie, the lovable, outrageous Greek girl who's become as much of a cultural like on as Dame Edna. But behind that big hair and even bigger sense of humor is a woman who's literally gone to Helen back more times than you would believe in order to realize her deep, unquenchable desire to become a mother. Mary. Welcome. I'm going to read some facts about you. It's going to be a little bit this is your life, and please jump in if I'm wrong on any of them. All right, you were born and raised in Melbourne and you're fifty one years old.
Speaker 2: WHOA I can't argue with that.
Speaker 1: You can't argue about? Well, that's good. You studied a Bachelor of Arts at Deacon University and you made it in performing arts and you also did a minor in journalism. In nineteen eighty seven, you had your first major role in the stage show Logs Out of Work. You were the most popular character. It was the most successful original Australian theater show ever produced and it toured for two years. It led to Akropolers Now and from nineteen eighty nine to nineteen ninety two on that show you played the role of Effie Stephanidis. In two thousand and three, you met George Betsis, and in two thousand and five you and George got married. Six weeks after your wedding, you found out you couldn't have children naturally and IVF was your only option. You had twenty three failed IVF attempts while trying to conceive, and you suffered an early miscarriage during this time.
Speaker 2: It was twenty three. But I got pregnant the third time, which was a miscarriage, and the seventeenth time, which was the twins triplets Steevie pregnancy that was the seventeenth and not again until the twenty third, which was Janie. So yeah, I felt pregnant. I suppose you could say three times in twenty three, three.
Speaker 1: Times in the twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You once said that you stopped counting your ivfs. Is that really true? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you have to. I think sometimes you just have to stay in the most positive frame of mind possible. And for me, I just had to believe that success was in front of me. And if I referred to the amount of failure I'd had in terms of IBM in tense, I think it would have just robbed me of the world to keep going. So I just I sort of had a vague idea. And it's really funny because I was with my IVF doctor, my Greek Australian who has got the clinic athms that I got pregnant buyer. I was with him, having dinner with him last year. This is like a year or so after Jamie was born, and I said to him, I'm going to throw you a number, and I want you to tell me whether I might or not. And he said yeah, and I said twenty three and he said yeah, it was twenty three. So I only found out when I was well out of it, and you know, with my healthy baby, did I dare to actually find out what the amount was? And it was twenty three?
Speaker 1: When when did you first have an inkling that you were going to struggle to fell pregnant?
Speaker 2: Look like a lot of couples at the beginning, we just thought we'd go a bit sort of commando on the contraception.
Speaker 1: Had you ever tried to get pregnant before? Or George was the one?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no. We just said, okay, well we're going to get married. Let's just start from now, and then six months is always what they say to couples of a certain age, you know, I give it six months and then yeah, after we got married, I said, well, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe we need to investigate, and that's when a laparos to be revealed that I had blocked tubes.
Speaker 1: How old was then at that point? I was forty And you said that it's really scary to look at the graphs that they show you when you embark on IVF at age forty? What do those graphs look like?
Speaker 2: A horror movie? In my case and for many women at that age. Look, you don't want people to be having children when they're not ready, but you also want to help people be conscious of the fact that, you know, anyone who's struggled with fertility knows that equality diminishes rapidly after the age of thirty five, So at some point you're sort of praying for a miracle science. You know, there's never been a better time in history to have children if you struggle with having them naturally, than there is now. And you know, we've got the best scientists, doctors, information drugs, alternative medicine practitioners helping to make that happen. But the assumption that we can just have children is a little bit of a myth. Beyond the age of thirty five, I mean, you really got to start weighing up what your battle is at that point, and yeah, those graphs, I actually said to my IVF doctors, I don't need to see that graph. I know what it looks like. Time I switched doctors or or had they felt the need to have to refer to it, seeming as though I wasn't getting there. So it is pretty frightened reality.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about IVF clinics, and I've never had IVF myself, but I've come close and to needing it. Is there a sense that you say that they're very open and upfront about the chances of success, But at the same time, IVF is a business and it costs what each cycle costs about ten thousand dollars, does it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? When I started, it was about seven and the government helped out with some of it. But I think in reality it's probably closer to nine to ten now. And so no, you don't seem to get as much back as you used to. And there are terms and conditions in terms of who can who is eligible for that help from the government now.
Speaker 1: And I think when you're over a certain age, I don't know if it's forty or maybe forty one or forty two, I think that you don't get anything back, or you get a lot less back. That's true, But is there a sense that anyone sits you down and says from the clinic and says, you know what, you're wasting your money.
Speaker 2: They don't like to be emotionally responsible for the result, They don't fit you with too much hope, but that they don't speak very negatively about it either. They just say, Okay, here is the graph, this is the reality. We're going to do everything we can to make it happen at some point. Though as much as I would like to think that doctors and staff of these places are responsible for decisions that we make, you have to, whether you like it or not, get proactive in terms of accepting responsibility for the fact that the chances aren't great, the cost is, and that how much do you tolerate before you look to a better chance at something? And as you know, I did fifteen ibfs in Australia and then came to the conclusion, you know, merely because of necessity and because of pain, that I had to look at donor Egg as an option. And I wish I knew ten goes before that that was an option for me that I could handle. I think I kept thinking, I know it sort of vaguely that I can go to that eventually, But I think I wish i'd known earlier that it was actually the best option on every level.
Speaker 1: When did it first? When did it first come up? And why do you think it didn't come up earlier?
Speaker 2: It sort of got brought up sort of loosely, maybe from other IVF you know, want to be mothers. I don't know whether I heard it from doctors very much. One did tell me on the phone, but he said it. He was a Greek, and he did say it in quite a brutal, you know, blunt maybe not brutal, but blunt way, and he said, you want a baby in a cot donor eggs? In other words, what are you doing? Are you trying to to have a baby or you trying to prove something to your body that your body can't deliver on, which is to work with what it's got. And he was right, and that was something that I couldn't handle right in those months. But then my next IVF doctor was very gentle in how he brought it up, and he just said, Mary, this is at this point your only option if you want to have the baby yourself, and then he put me on to the doctors that set it up with Greece. So you know, there are many privileges in having some public influence and attention. And I hope that my story, you know, makes the donor egue thing something that women are considering a lot earlier, rather than going through what I went through, which was you know, attempt or attempt and banging my head up against a brick wall of failure over and over. Because the reality is, there is something so spiritually uplifting in knowing that you know, you don't have to depend on your own body. There is a liberation in saying that I can do this, I just need a little bit of help. There's something really brave and liberating about that. And there's something fantastic about somebody saying, I know you can't get there, but I'll give you what you need in order to. I mean, it does take advantage, and nothing proves that more than you know, like the donor aspect of either sperm or egg in order for other people to have their family and live their dream. So you know, it's a great it's a great thing to offer somebody, and it's a great thing to accept when your body can't deliver for you.
Speaker 1: You aren't the first. I mean, donor eggs have been used by people for a long time, including a lot of people in the public eye, but you're the first person that I can think of who's admitted it. And I know that I've spoken to a lot of obstitutions who throw their hands up in frustration at the number of celebrities, particularly in the States, who have these miracle pregnancies, often twins at age forty seven, forty eight, forty nine. And the doctors say, well, quite obviously they would don't eggs, but the celebrity will never say that. So do you think it gives false hope to a generation of women?
Speaker 2: Definitely? And you know, look, I understand everyone has they're trying to protect somebody. My mother, for instance, in the Greek culture, she would prefer all the Greeks not known. You know, certain generations look at it differently. I think that's definitely changing now with these generations. And you know, but for me, holding onto a secret is so much harder than just being transparent. And I you know, you do get sold myths in life constantly. You get sold the myth that if you're beautiful and trimmed, then you're going to have a happy, you know, prosperous life. You get sold the myth that you know, if you get married, then you'll live together, you know, forever. And you know, we're into perpetuating myths or slash dreams or fantasies publicly because we all want to aspire to something. But then I always felt that it was my job to spew out the reality of you know, this myth. But I sort of felt that it was my responsibility to myself first and foremost, and then to other people like me, which I know that there are so many that need to know the how, and you know, we don't often talk about the how. We talk about the what, and so I just felt like for me, I needed to say it. My daughter will know, and you know, I want the world to know that this is how. And I wish I'd known how sooner. I wish there was another me that made it so public that it was unavoidable, so that I went, yeah, okay, I'm going to do that. But you know, no regrets. I you know, I wouldn't have written my book. I wouldn't have, you know, had the child that I've currently got. A best friend of mine is to say, you'll know why you waited so long for this child when you meet who that child is. And I wouldn't want a different personality than you know, the child that I've got. So I'm very, very grateful.
Speaker 1: After all of those years of struggling and striving and wanting desperately to be pregnant and weighing on sticks and only seeing one line, you finally did become pregnant, and at the seven week culture sound you discovered you were carrying twins. What did that moment feel like?
Speaker 2: Well, I just felt like I got everything that I wanted in one pregnancy, which was a child and sibling. And if I had contemplated twins the very first time I did IVF, you know, seventeen attempts earlier than that, I think I would have been you know, Petro. But after trying for so long, I felt like I was running out of time, And it proved to me the longer I tried how much I wanted it that you know, I've got the sibling and the child in the one pregnancy, and I was thrilled.
Speaker 1: So you had two glorious weeks of that feeling thing said.
Speaker 2: That I was bleeding a lot during those two weeks, So it was still a false economy as far as I was concerned, because I had, you know, and when you bleed and you're pregnant, there's nothing that implies that that's good UNI. So I was ecstatic and sort of a little petrified at the same time, not of the twins, but of the fact that I was bleeding. Apparently fifty percent of pregnant women bleed.
Speaker 1: It's common, but it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's a comforting fact for blood under any circumstances is a negative symbol.
Speaker 1: When you're trying to get pregnant, it certainly is, or trying to maintain a pregnancy. At that nine week culture sound, tell me what happened then, Well.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to be the same as the other one. I just thought, you know, I will just see that they've grown and it's all good. And being aware of the fact that I've never made any assumptions that things should go, you know, in a predictable fashion. Nothing in my history had implied that. But you know, I was in a positive space, even though I was sort of scared of the blood. But I certainly did not expect to hear what I did, And it was the way my doctor told me that I knew that there was a problem because he sort of went silent, and I'm like, well, that's a you know, I know that he's spotted heartbeat, so that wasn't the issue. But one of the eggs that split into two, and he wasn't able to see that on the ultrasound two weeks earlier. But it was very obvious now that I was pregnant with triplets, and I could tell from his face that this was not good news because suddenly now the risks for all four of us were really high. So together he just said get dressed. I mean, I just my heart sunk. It was the last thing I was expecting to hear. In that tiny breath of a moment, I thought, oh my god, I'm rocky. There's nothing I can do. Check this body out. I am abundantly pregnant.
Speaker 1: Abundantly pregnant. What a great term.
Speaker 2: And you know, he was someone that couldn't get pregnant no matter what I did, And suddenly, you know, I was overflowing with exactly. And then he said, I need you to get dressed. We need to have a conversation. And I was like starting panic now at this point, and then he sat down and he said this is the reality and went through it. And then I spoke to four other doctors separately, and they all concluded that in order for one child to survive, we needed to reduce the twins because the egg has split into two and they were in the one they were in the one unit, so they were robbing each other, they were sabotaging each other, and meanwhile they were risking the singleton. So and then how do you go from you know, finally getting there to having to look at a reduction, which is a very politically correct way of saying mortion. And time was running out because it had to happen before a certain point in the pregnancy. So we were coming up to the eleven week mark and we needed to make a decision. So we had a million conversations and you know, sleepless nights, and made the hardest decision of our lives, and that was to reduce the twins. And that was a whole other thing in itself, because what they proposed was that they reduced one and because they're sharing the same utilities, that that would then affect the other, so we wouldn't have to reduce both. But you know, they would reduce one, and therefore the other one would, as a consequence, also not survive. And so that happened, and I was crying so much I couldn't keep still, So then they had to keep me still. And so that happened on the one day, and then the day after that, I went back into check and the other one hadn't been reduced, so I had to go through it again.
Speaker 1: Marriage. For people who don't understand, I mean, I imagine you'd never heard of even the idea of selective reduction or reduction. For those who don't understand what the process involves without going into too much personal detail, for you and only what you're comfortable with, the baby's not actually removed from your body? Is it during that process?
Speaker 2: No, there is an injection which happens which therefore reduces that. You know, it's not physically removed, removed, it is terminated.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? How do you lie on that on that How do you walk into that room and lie on that table knowing what you have to do?
Speaker 2: Well, you feel like you're in a torture chamber. You know that you feel like for a moment, the dreams become the worst nightmare you could ever imagine, and you cannot with any logic understand you know what's happened or why this is happening, and yet you know you are I didn't go into either the IVF world or wanting to become a mother to give birth to children that were unable to experience life in the way that you would hope, and because of my size, there was no way I would be able to carry that pregnancy out. Separate to that, the twins were, in turn because of twinter twin transfusion, being high risk of sabotaging their own growth and well being. Oh my god, I mean, this is the stuff. And going to this what is what you think is a movie because you know it cannot be happening. It was horrific. And then the moment when I went home after the second day of this, I felt a big I was with a friend and I felt this liquid coming out of me. That was a major and I thought I was miscarrying the third because there are risks and I hadn't and I spent prior to all of this, I was still racing to my obstetrician's office two or three times a week, thinking I was miscarrying because of the level of blood prior to the reductions. And then yeah, then I raced to the hospital to see my doctor and he put the uldrasent on and said, no, everything's fine. That was that the eleventh twelfth week mark. At the nineteen week mark, we found out that the child that was the singleton, that was still the one that we.
Speaker 1: Were trying to protect, Stevie.
Speaker 2: Stevie was a girl, and we were thrilled. And two weeks after that, the blood continued all throughout from the eleven weeks, from the very beginning, all the way until my waters broke at twenty one weeks and then I don't know how, but I didn't go into labor for a further two weeks and I was hospitalized. And that was the twilight zone of psychological realities. That was one doctor after another coming in and telling us what the reality was of Stevie's state. I'd lost ninety percent of my amniotic fluid. She was disadvantaged by that, obviously. And then they would come in as they should and tell you if you were to give birth at twenty three weeks, this is where she'd be at in terms of her growth, and this is what the reality of that means. And then went through every single week until we got to the twenty eight thirty weeks. So then you know, and this is the will to want to survive, you know, the need that we have. I still prayed every moment of those two weeks that somehow she would get to twenty eight weeks and that she would survive and be okay, even though she only had ten percent amniotic to it. But on day one of week twenty three, I just woke up knowing. I just thought, no, it was the day after Mother's Day and I was in a maternity ward. It was just so and I woke up and there was no way I could be talked out of it. I just knew because I hadn't felt like that. I mean, I was upset and depressed and full of worry, but I just knew that a one hundred percent that that was the day. And I was right. About ten hours later, I started feeling what I didn't no, you know, but they were contractions. And then my doctor came in and had a look, as he did twice a day for me every day while I was in hospital and said, may everything's fine, don't worry, and I was like, no, it's the first time I didn't believe him. And then an hour later George came into the room and I said, Georgie, I'm feeling a clenching down below. Can you time them? Any timed them? And you know there was a regularity appearing. And so I called the midwife and she gave me a panadom and called my doctor and he came in and took me into the labor ward and he checked me and he said, Mary Stevie is still alive, but you are in labor and she won't survive coming through the birth canal. And now you you know, you have to give birth. So that in one moment she went from alive to not and so I was just completely shattered. But I had to give birth. So I was in the midst of the labor So he called my grief counselor who's wild debt of wild, and brought her in and so she was there with me. George was with me, my doctor and my favorite midwife and.
Speaker 1: I were scared, terrified, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was. I didn't know what I would encounter. You know, I assumed the worst, and it was the opposite of that.
Speaker 1: You were you scared of how she would look or how you would feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, when death and life arrive at the same moment, you know, it's it's you know, I mean, you imagine that you just don't know what to expect, and you know, our mind's giving to fear a lot more than they do. You know, fear is such an overwhelming feeling, and so you know, your mind tends to indulge that first, and so I assumed the works, but it was completely the opposite. I was completely in love the minute I saw her. I was so in awe of how beautiful she was and how perfectly formed she was, and how much love I felt towards her. Was just the overriding thing above everything else. And Dad placed her on my chest, and you know, it was incredible. George struggled with it a very different way, because I think, you know, he thought he could somehow fix, save, help, and you know, he was as helpless as I was in the moment. And I think it's different for women. I think that we our maternal instinct kicks in and overrides everything else and it was incredible. It was you know, I describe it as the crush of a lifetime, and it was.
Speaker 1: You wrote so beautifully in your memoir. All I know about the day after Stevie was born and your girlfriends came in because you got to spend the day with her. Some people would find that surprising or shocking. What was it actually like and how did you how did you get through that day?
Speaker 2: Well? I didn't. I didn't ask anyone to be there with me because I figured my best is, most of which are mothers, wouldn't be able to handle that, you know, like that it would be such a scary concept for them, being mothers, to hold a child that wasn't alive, you know, So I just I didn't ask anyone to come in if In fact, I tried to talk people out of it, and then deb just said to me, at one point, Mary dies in the waiting room. She's prepared to be sent away, But what do you want me to do? And I said, bring her in, And so she came in and we held Stevie and we kissed her, and we you know, we cried and we laughed and it was incredible. And then my other bestie Susie. It was like, you know, a groundhog day. Suddenly Susie was there, and then you know, after d left, and then Susie came back in, and both those girls would rate it as one of the highlights of their life. And I know, it's a weird thing.
Speaker 1: To say, no, you gave them such a gift.
Speaker 2: It was such an unexpected privilege to witness something that you know is a mother's greatest fear, and to be able to see something so great in it, and to be able to be convinced of that from from Stevie, just from her being. You know, it's just weird. I mean, these are the type of things that you can try to explain, and yet unless you've experienced it, you don't really realize the contradiction and the beauty that lies in the contradiction of all of it. And so it was a bond that was was, you know, forever, going to be there after that. And George wasitness to it, and he said, now I get why the sisterhood is so strong. There is no way men would do that. And yet we danced around her, you know, and we held her and we kissed her and talked about her and were in love with her together, George couldn't hold her. You know, George was too confronted by it all. I mean, he was a mess. He was crying all the way through it, but he couldn't bring himself to connect.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about that because I've lost a baby halfway through a pregnancy, and I've got friends who've had stillborn babies and lost babies at various times, and They've often talked about the difference between how they reacted and how their partner reacted, and I know that was true for me. Did it Did it make a gap between you and George? Did you? Were you angry with him or did you resent him for not being ab to grieve Stevie in the same way that you did?
Speaker 2: No, if anything, the opposite. I tell you what I'm being in such a such a difficult circumstance to you. This is the privilege of great crew, is that you realize that everyone makes a choice that they can live with, and that it's everyone's right to choose to deal with things in their own way. That who am I to say that my way was the only way? That was his daughter? He wanted her as much as I did and I respected the fact that I saw that he couldn't do more than what he could do, and I it became very apparent that that men and women are very difficult different in terms of how they deal with that sort of stuff, but that it was in no way an opportunity for me to handball my heartbreak, my disappointment, let it manifest into anger and blame Jordan for something.
Speaker 1: What about your own body, I mean, you went, you made the decision to go back for more more IVF, to try again with all of those years that you experienced, the IVF, the failed pregnancies, the twins Stevie, what was your relationship to your body like? Were you angry at it? Were you frustrated with it? How did you feel about your own ability to conceive and carry a pregnancy?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously I thought, you know, especially with the odds going up to fifty percent with Donor Egg. You know, I knew at the end of the day it was going to be a numbers game. You know that you suddenly minute I went to Donor Egg really strong, and so it was just a matter of what I could withstand. That's so pregnatic, I can get pregnant and that you know. As much as the fact that that delivered a lot of heartbreak, complication and loss, it proved that I could get pregnant. And any time you go in to see an IVF doctor, the first question I'll ask you is have you been pregnant before? Yes, if your body's done it before, it knows how to do it. So that with the with the confidence that I could survive such massive losses and still be upright, still function, somehow gave me the faith that you know, I could get there. It's just a matter of you know, where that finish line was for me, and how many we have to do before I said that's enough. And I sort of felt like I'd said that's enough after twenty two. At that point, I just thought, I'm kidding myself, this is not happening. I need to take the hint it's not going to happen for me. And that was one of the darkest moments for me, when I honestly had run out of hope, not just stamina, but actual hope. And then George said to me. I was in Greece on my own, and I ranged George and told him that we'd had yet another failed result, that was up to the twenty second and he said to me, Mayor, I'm jumping on the next plane. One more go, one more fresh batch. And then my mother spoke to my mother who was in Melbourne, who I retired from being my right hand a lot of this because she was with me when my waters broke and she held Steve. You know, that took a toll, as you would imagine as a mother watching their child go through that and all of that. So I'd retired her and I rang her and I said to her, it didn't happen. And I can't even get out of bed. I can't lift my head, I can't do anything. And she said to me, I don't care how you feel right now. That will pass. You will somehow find the strength to get up tomorrow morning and you will jump on that and go back to that sacred church that we prayed at, that that delivered that pregnancy for us. You know, she believed that there's a church in Greece that delivers miracles that people from all over the world go to. It's on an island next to Michinos, and when you go there, you see how many miracles it has delivered for people. Because then they they have these these symbols of thanks which are in the actual church, and it is it's like a chandelier of fankuse that are hung from the church ceiling. And so I went there after my sixteenth failed attempt, and we got pregnant and prayed, and we got pregnant on the next one, which was two weeks later. So she said to me, it delivered for us before. I want you to go back, jump on that ferry for four hours, go and pray and come back, you know, and just do that for me, if not for us. So I did. I don't know how I did, but I did. And when I went there to pray, I'd never been taken downstairs to where they christened the children. And then there's this whole other room and it's like a cave like room, and it's only lit by candles, and it's the most beautiful looking room. And I was so overwhelmed with how beautiful it was that I made a promise in that moment to God or to the universe or whoever whoever that power is, and said, I can't do this without you. I've tried everything, but if you can deliver me a healthy baby, I promise you I'll come back here to christen it. And so I got pregnant on the next attempt, which is two weeks later, and then the year before last, seventy two of us went to christen Jamie.
Speaker 1: Then wow, so you know, look, how was that pregnancy with Jamie? How did you get through it? What was the hardest point of that pregnancy.
Speaker 2: I was still bleeding in the first three months of that pregnancy, so that sort of kept me my alert as well. And we did the sixty minute story. I mean the book. I didn't tell anyone that I was pregnant. The book got released, and the book was written with probably, you know, with the assumption that I wouldn't get there. That book was about Stevie. That book was about not getting there. That was not you know, some sort of oh yeah, you'll get there too. That's what happens when you don't get there.
Speaker 1: And I interviewed you after that book came out, and I knew you were pregnant. I just took one look at you and I knew, but I didn't want to say anything because it's just too fragile, and I didn't want you to have to either deny it or confirm it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I sort of started when we did the sixty minute story. I was like a bad actress that was hiding behind filings. Every single shot there's me holding a very large handbag oddly in front of my stomachs. And so in the eleventh hour, literally the last day of the sixty minute shoot, I just thought, well, I'm twenty two weeks at this point, and I just said, oh, FYI.
Speaker 1: A lot of people were very scared for you after you said that. I bumped into one of your closest friends, Lisa Hensley, and we were talking about how the fact that you'd sort of come out as being pregnant on sixty minutes, and she said that what you hadn't realized is that by doing that sixty minute story, which was such a gift to other women who either had gone through something similar or would go through something similar in the future, so many people contacted you with their stories of loss and grief, and that included people who'd had still born children, children who died of SIDS. And you said to her, I didn't even think that something like that could happen. I hadn't even considered that I could get all the way have a deliver a baby and have her be alive and healthy and then lose her. And did you suddenly feel quite weighed down by all of these stories and all of these energies of these lost babies.
Speaker 2: Yes, and no. Firstly I didn't. I sort of had a feeling when I wrote the book that something bigger just happened. You know, when I finished writing it, I just thought, Oh, something's just happened now, you know, I could feel that, you know, it had a life, this book outside of my experience, certainly when people saw it on sixty minutes, I got so many I mean literally, I got my Facebook page for the book went from nothing to twenty two thousand in like a week. So but separate to the heartbreak, there were a lot of positives too, and there were a lot of There was a lot of support and a lot of people that told their stories that did get there that and a lot of people that said I didn't think I could go again, but I'm going to go now because I saw your story and I bumped into a lot of them or they've written to me. So the goodwill of being transparent and daring, and I had to, you know, I didn't want then suddenly a week later for me to go public with it, I mean I was with them. I had I had to say it, you know whatever, you know, it wasn't going to be as bad as what I've been through.
Speaker 1: When did you stop in that pregnancy going from being terrified to having faith that it would be okay when you held her in your arms?
Speaker 2: That pregnancy for me was week thirty one. Because the carrot was dangling in front of me, I felt like it was everything was going as it should, but it was still too far away as far as I was concerned, you know, Like I just felt like I thought I was doing a really good job of hiding it. And then I walked in to see my obstetrician VJ. Because the reception, I said, oh, don't you look great at it? And I'd had a terrible morning. I'd been crying to Lisa on the phone and she said, hey, you doing And I said, I'm really scared. It's close, but it's not close enough, you know, Like I still feel like eight weeks away still a long time, and am I going to get there? Like I felt like it was looking like I would, but I still had to wait another two months and so I walked in and VJ said, not having a good day. You know, knows me backwards, seeing me through the Stevie loss and all of that and all the way through this pregnancy.
Speaker 1: He delivered Steve right, Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: He told me about someone that I should go and see to talk to about having some tools to be able to lean on when the anxiety was going to kick in closer to the birth and throughout this last two months. And she was fantastic, and she is very good at sort of demystifying the psychological minefield that this is. And said to me, Mary, there are two ways that you can deal with this. One is to tell yourself that this is a fantasy of your own making. You don't have the privilege of that option. This is something you have not imagined, this is something that you've lived through. So that option is not going to work for you, So you can't talk yourself out out of it because it did happen. The next option, which is your only option, is to calmly tell yourself, this is the feeling I'm feeling right now, and there will be another feeling that will come into takeover from that feeling, and trust that you will move through many feelings and that you won't stay in the one feeling for too long. So she gave me some exercises to do come the day of Jamie's birth. Because it was a planned season, because of the complications of my past and my age and all of that, it was decided that we would do a cesarean day one of week thirty eight. I was nervous about going to the same hospital, the same corridor where I stood with a bath twel between my legs, bleeding profusely, and where I blacked out when I actually got to the maternity ward when my waters are broken with Stevie. I was going back into that same lift, same corridor, all of that, and I was scared about, you know, reliving that on what I hoped was going to be the happiest day of my life. As it turned out, I didn't none of that. I was so excited on the day and so calm that I didn't relive any of that until a male nurse came in to check me just before they took me into the theater and said I asked to be put on today, and I thought, oh, that's really sweet. And I am with my scrubs on and you know, in my little shower cap on, and he said, I've walked in your shoes, and he and his wife had had a stillborn months earlier, and he said, I needed to see the happy part of the story. And I thought, what a brilliant way for that to be delivered to me through a person, not through walls or you know, through another person. And we had a mind, we had a bit of a cry, and it was all fine. Then they wheeled me in. I was back in the excitement of giving birth. And the minute, I mean, we had four cameras set up, George set up close and everything, and one of the doctors was getting close ups while you know, it was so cute because we really wanted to capture it. And the minute Jamie was born and VJ spun her around for me to have a look, I knew the minute I looked at her that there was nothing to worry about anymore. I just thought, everything's going to be just fine. And I thought, oh my god, she's so cute, and that from that minute on there was this calmness that then took over my body, which is sort of very rarely left me. And as I was being wheeled out with Jamie on my chest, going to the recovery room. I looked up and that male nurse was there and we had a smile. We winked, and you know, he got to see that, and so did I. That you know you can get there doesn't take anything away from the grief of the loss, but it's just it's good to know that there. You know, if you just keep going, you can achieve incredible things. If somehow you can muster the strength to just believe that it can happen, and you make every effort possible to make that happen, then the result can be there. And then sixty minutes were waiting for my room and Michael Lovesha walked in. I'll tell you this, nothing good comes out of giving out. I mean, if I'd given up this, we wouldn't have got to this. I just thank God that somehow I had the will to continue.
Speaker 1: How old is Jamie now? Is she too?
Speaker 2: She's to it a bit, She's marry everything. She's very cute, she's very verbal, she's very bright, she's very violent. She loves a bite and a whack. She's very animated. She's just a dream. She's very tender and romantic until the bikes come and you know, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: His motherhood was would be it is.
Speaker 2: It is so incredibly illuminating of everything. You know. It forces you to look at the world through this whole other lens. And yeah, it is tough, you know, and you do judge yourself harshly because you expect yourself to be, you know, a superwoman. I believe that a great mother requires two things. Great snacks, like you better have some good handy, you know, like if you're going out and if you've got ten good snacks in there or even five, you're doing really well. And infinite patience. You know, you just need to be as patient as possible just to deal with the level of emotion and commitment children take. But it becomes second nature because you so in love with them that you know you want to understand them and help them, you know, express what they're feeling and all of that. Yeah, I've never felt more content, and I've never felt like the world was bigger than it is since she came along. Everything's bigger, that's beautiful, everything's better.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you by writing about Stevie and the twins and the IVF and by talking so honestly and openly and doing sixty minutes and speaking to me and giving interviews. I hope you know what a gift you give to women and to men, but particularly to women. And your generosity of spirit in sharing you know, Stevie with all of us is just an extraordinary act of generosity. So thank you, Mia.
Speaker 2: I just want to say that I've known you for a long long time and we sort of went up in our own little ranks similar time. But yeah, like you, I like to give back to my gender in any way I can that informs them to make the decisions that they need to make in order to have a full, better life. And it is a privilege. And what we get back, and specifically what I get back from my audience is what has propelled me to get back to what I love doing and to give back because I feel like I received so much. Females are fantastic at being excited by information given to them from other females as to how to you know, be better and stronger and braver and and happier and healthier. And that's what you do, and that's what I do. Mine's a bit more comic than yours usually, but you know, it's a privilege. So thank you to you, and thank you to everyone. I hope they come and see the show.
Speaker 1: Lots of love, my darling. Ah. Thanks for listening to No Filter. Subscribe to iTunes for more episodes. This show is hosted by Me and Friedman and produced by Eliza Ratliffe for the Mom and mea podcast network. That was Mary Custas on No Filter. If you've forgotten what you're listening to, because that happens to me sometimes. Every time I listen to Mary, I'm just so struck by her warmth and her strength and her absolute honesty. She's like ballast on a ship. She's just such a grounding, grounded force and it takes incredible courage to share such raw parts of her life. So if you loved that episode, I want to make sure that you never miss a deep dive. We want to make sure that you are following the Unleashed feed. I know you're listening to this, but you'd be shocked to hear shocked. I tell you that about half the people who listen to this show are not following it on their If you hit the little plus button, it means you are following, and it means that we know that you like it. It helps other people find the show, and it helps us keep making it. Thank you for listening to this special episode your regular Unleashed hosts. We'll be back with a brand new episode right in your ears. See you next Tuesday. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and mortars that this podcast is recorded on