Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 3: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on From Mamma Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture Fixed. I'm Laura Brodnick and.
Speaker 1: I'm m Burnham And on the show.
Speaker 3: Today Taylor Swift, a problematic man and a secret note what you're talking about. I practiced that in the mirror beforehand. No, I definitely did it, but it sounds like an old school Nancy Drew novel.
Speaker 1: But like I hope any kids you're setting this up.
Speaker 3: And a little viral clip from Saturday and out Live that has I guess's got a few influencers riled up, all their fans riled up.
Speaker 2: We're going to get into that, but first.
Speaker 1: But first, I am officially calling it myself. Okay, Martin Short and Meryl Street are dating. They were spotted having dinner in Santa Monica, looking very cutey, very cozy, and after dinner they drove home together. I mind of drove home together, but they got in the same car. They drove away in the same Meryl was driving like enjoying himself in that passenger's seat. So this rumor has been around for a while. We have briefly mentioned it on the podcast before. If you didn't know, Martin Shoan and Meryl Streep do play lovers on screen right now in the show Only Murders in the Building on Disney plaz one of my favorite shows right now. They start alongside Selena Gomez and Steve Martin. They were also seen being very close to each other at this year's Golden Globes Awards.
Speaker 3: You remember that they were like, yes, and that's what everyone thought Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift were gossiping about in those viral pictures that it wasn't Actually now we think it wasn't Timothy Shallamy and Kylie Jenner.
Speaker 2: It was the fact that those two were walking.
Speaker 1: Up And then Martin Short's publassist denied those rumors. But then at the season four premiere for Only Murders, they were holding hands on the red carpet, and then so after the dinner, cameras on their places so they had their big dinner that everyone to photos. Steve Martin posted a Glamour article to his Instagram feed that had like a feature image of him. Martin children. Meryl Streep and he like put a big like X emoji on his face and everyone's like, did Steve Man just hard launch their relationship.
Speaker 2: I think he did look part of me.
Speaker 1: I mean, you were a denier from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well, I might still be a denier.
Speaker 3: So obviously, Martin Shawt's wife passed away many years ago, and then Meryl Streep kept her divorce for yeah, kept her divorce under wraps for such a long time, so it's only come out recently that she's a single lady.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They might be hooking out, but I think as they.
Speaker 2: Are, it's not cute just because they're older.
Speaker 1: Jesus, I think it's cute. Well, you're finding love in their seventies. That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: That is beautiful.
Speaker 3: I feel like Meryl Streep could find love at any age though that bit. But I actually think they're having quite a bit of fun with the publicity.
Speaker 1: And a few kids around it all the fun. We're having fun too.
Speaker 3: I mean, they've both been in the industry such a long time, like they know how to got it, and they both not usually people that are in like the paparazzi New cycle or like the tabloidy news cycle, like Meryl Streep has avoided at her whole career, and so has Martin Short. They just like they only pop up to promote their movies. Everyone loves them, and they go back to their private lives. I do think they're kind of like working the crowd a little bit because they know what they're doing. When they were like whispring together in the Golden Globes like audience, when the cameras are on them, because you can see that massive camera, it has to be set up to be on you.
Speaker 2: It doesn't just appear in the order.
Speaker 1: They're very smart. I think they're teaching Amelia Demaldeberg and Ander Garfita what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they were holding hands on the red carpet at the Premier Yere like yes, they're friends, but they knew.
Speaker 2: What they were doing.
Speaker 3: And these photos were taken at one of the biggest celebrity like paparazzi hot spots in LA. It's like they went to a secret little spot.
Speaker 1: And they maybe they have been going to secret little spots.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sure they have, but I'm just saying this particular night, like you don't go to that restaurant and that strip of restaurants where paparazzi camp out because they know that celebs go there. You don't go there unless you want your photo taken. And the fact that they drove themselves away so they had to get into the car the valet came over. Those photos I've looked at so much.
Speaker 1: We don't endorse paparazzi photos here, but they are smiling like they're gleaming in the camera exactly.
Speaker 3: And also, again, you go to that spot because you know you're going to get photographed. They both have the money and the means. It's just like a little hobby for them, exactly in March shorts face. Actually, both of them look absolutely like they find the situation so funny that they're being paparazzied, and I just think that they're just leaning in.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I still think they're dating officially. Saturday Night Live recently did a skit that was a bit different to their usual sticks, so they decided to play into I guess, their younger audience generations, because I have a feeling that anyone above the age of forty would have no idea what was happening in this entire skit.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it. So the skit it was called TikTok. That was like the official title of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, what could they mean by that?
Speaker 1: What could they mean by that? And it started off with like an anonymous texter who receives a message saying where are you and they reply that they're on their way before getting inhaled into like a doom scroll of TikTok, And the entire skit is just like a TikTok feed that shows the SNL cast members acting out parodies of like big influences that made it like massive on TikTok. So for example, Chloe Fyneman plays Alex Cooper, host of Call Her Daddy, who does an absolutely brilliant job like I generally thought it was her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is up, daddy?
Speaker 3: Gang?
Speaker 2: It is your founding father.
Speaker 1: Today's topic is when to put a finger in Our guest today is Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Majorcis bowen Yang plays Harry Daniels, who's this influenzer who finds like celebrities out in the wild and starts singing to.
Speaker 3: That yes sometimes with great results. Sometimes the celebrities are horrified, but it's all about his videos because I guess secondhand embarrassment awkward like, but also that when celebrities reject him, that's all part of the contents. I think he's actually leaning into that when they look horrified.
Speaker 1: There was one where I saw him and I think it was Trevanoah. Have you seen this one? Yea in a restaurant in TREVANAA gets actually angry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's in a restaurant to have dinner. And also it looks like this guy's just coming and singing, but he has people around him filming like it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's a whole thing, And I think he's fear to.
Speaker 3: Get filmed for a TikTok prank in public. They just do it to random people. I just think that's the most annoying thing a human being can do.
Speaker 1: And I think Harry Daniels is at that level of fame now where he feels like they should know what's happening by now. Yeah, and when they don't, I think he gets a bit like embarrassed. So it was like reversed on him.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, celebrities do know now, like Katy Perry saw him coming to her across like a crowd of room once and she's like, Okay, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: Ariana Grana was like, no, we're not doing this again. I'm not doing this yeah, because she knows.
Speaker 2: What I to you making my way. He's on town walk in.
Speaker 3: Past vases Pert that was singing, well yeah.
Speaker 2: Airplane, no please.
Speaker 1: Stuff on me. So Bowen Yang plays him. This skit went completely viral, especially on TikTok and across SNL socials. Some of the comments had one of the most accurate skits I've seen in years. This was one of the best things I've seen on SNL in a long time. Wow, SNL finally did something funny as hell.
Speaker 3: The reason they forget the move dang skits sketch just recent weeks.
Speaker 1: The reason why I found them choosing the skit so interesting was because it wasn't aimed at their usual demographic, which I did some research and I found that their demographic is between thirty to forty years. Last year, Newsweek did a poll on SNL viewership and showed that the rising generations like gen Z were showing less and less interest in SNL like watching it live, whereas their most engaged viewerships are from those who remember SNL from the nineties who are kind of grown up with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it was like appointment TV to get home and watch it on Saturday night, so he didn't miss it, But now most people would just consume it like they do with every other TV show through like clips on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm kind of interested in like their gameplay here, Like, do you think we're still going to see them honing in on this younger demographic like range of content, maybe probably excluding some of their original engaged viewerships, or are they still going to be sticking to like the hardcore celebrities that we know.
Speaker 3: I think, like the hardcore celebrities and like things like politics will always be like their bread and butter. But I also think that with the influences they picked, they're ones that have crossed over from just like online fame or maybe fame that's hooked to one age group, because you've got parodies of Narrosmith and Alex Cooper in there, and I think their names that like have transcended just one kind of age bracket, which I thought was interesting that Chloe Fineman, who played Narrosmith or like a version of her the you know, the Internet's favorite child wife, Yeah, and Alex Cooper, the host of Call Her Daddy. She was like practicing her Alex Cooper impersonations on her TikTok, so like creating extra content for their but also try that fine line of like making fun of her because she was making a joke about her interviewing Kamala Harris and talking about her vagina being on fire, and afterwards she was like, that didn't happen. I'm just trying to get into her headspace. And I think the Narrowsmith one was actually the funniest.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: My husband asked for beef tacos, and I didn't want to let him down, so I slaughtered our cow and picked the corn myself.
Speaker 1: It started off immediately funny because she puts on like the Narrowsmith voice, which is very like soft spoken, like almost like a wisp. Yeah, my husband wanted to be so I slaughtered.
Speaker 2: A cow, so I went out and slaughtered a cow.
Speaker 1: It's like and she literally get a home mood and I would be like, oh, that's so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was so calming and nice.
Speaker 1: So we think that they're like I guess playing in that in between stage of like making sure that the influencers are known well enough to work for both audiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, spillers, we have some exciting news.
Speaker 1: We do have some exciting news because next month we are kicking off the Month of Move. Starting November first, the Move team will drop daily workout recommendations to keep your company for the entire month.
Speaker 3: So the Month of Move is designed to take the mental load out of movement so that you can focus on what's important and that's feeling good.
Speaker 1: If you want to join the Month of Move, you can get thirty dollars off a yearly mumu Me subscription which gets you unlimited access to move with the code month of spill. That's m O N T h O FSPI double L. The offer is valid until the end of November and we will put a link with all the details in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Have fun.
Speaker 3: Then you were troubling?
Speaker 1: You want down?
Speaker 2: So Taylor Swift might I've heard of her?
Speaker 3: Is on the final leg of her errors tour.
Speaker 1: Did you see her new reputation.
Speaker 3: Costs I did? And her new enchant to dress Gold. It's so funny. It just feels like what do we do in our lives? This tour is over, like I can't remember a time before it. Did you see that viral photo of a woman who has been pregnant twice at the Eras tour in the time it's been running, Like in this amount of time, she would have delivered two human beings the earth in the time that woman has been touring.
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 1: I need to I need to start checking things off my.
Speaker 3: Life to start achieving something. Ach I mean, I mean you got to go, but no, you didn't need any anyway.
Speaker 2: The headlines this.
Speaker 3: Morning, So every morning wake up to headlines. You're like a new outfit and new blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: That's nice. Florence Welch, is there great?
Speaker 3: This morning? I was really interested to see David Portnoy's name up in all the Taylor Swift headlines.
Speaker 1: Why does his name sound familiar?
Speaker 3: So he is the founder of Barstool Sports, which is like a big call her daddy. Yes, that's probably where most people I think, I think that's what most women. Yeah, well he's been bigger, like in the US in particular for a long time. He owns a media company and he's also got a huge social following himself through like tiktoks, and he does a podcast. I think his podcast is mostly just about what it's like to be Dave Portnoy, which so.
Speaker 1: He's like a boy boss influencing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a boy boss and that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Heeo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you probably across his name from if you cast your mind back to twenty twenty two when the Call Her Daddy podcast, which is a huge podcast at the time and it was hosted by two friends, Alex Cooper and Sophia Franklin, had a very.
Speaker 1: He's just not dead. The friendship is dead.
Speaker 3: The friendship is dead and buried, had a very public breakup and it became mainstream international news.
Speaker 1: And the negotiations I remember with Barstool Sports and.
Speaker 3: Called Her Daddy, and Dave port Noy because he was the one who brought them into the company, hired them, and then their podcast, Caller Daddy, became so wildly popular, and then there was this whole public breakup thing where Alex and Sophia had a fight behind the scenes. They also just stopped recording the podcast they were having a fight with Dave. He went into their podcast stream one day and recorded his thoughts because they couldn't get access to it, and then it all kind of ended. This is obviously an epic story that could be a six part podcast. I'm just breaking it down for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: We should do that.
Speaker 3: And it all ended with Sophia walking away and starting her own podcast, which I believe is called Sophia with an F that she still does now, and Alex Cooper retaining the Call Her Daddy IP and name and continuing to work at Barstools Sports before moving over to a huge deal at Spotify. And she and Dave Portnoy have had like a lot of back and forth over the years, but recently he's been a guest on Call Her Daddy and they're like in a good spot, even though he publicly got angry for not being invited to Alex Cooper's wedding. But you know, swings a roundabouts, so an interesting man to be all tied up in.
Speaker 2: The tailor stift head, So what's going on?
Speaker 3: So what happened is Dave port Moy, who I should say has always called himself a long term swifty, was at the Miami Era's tour show last night and Taylor Swift had her brother Austin deliver a handwritten note to Dave who was sitting in the VIP tend next to Andrea Swift, who is Taylor's mother, and in this beautiful envelope with a wax seal with Taylor's initials, like she has like medieval style stationary, because of course she does not, said Dave, I'm so happy to have you at the show tonight.
Speaker 2: Exclamation mark.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say thank you for always being so supportive, so loyal, and for having my back when a lot of people did it. I hope you have a blast tonight.
Speaker 2: Is that it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, love Taylor. And also it's just say that Taylor Sift has personalized stationary that underneath it says songwriter slash feline enthusiast, which I feel like is a point that no one has picked up on today, but it is quite important. Like that's embossed on her stationary.
Speaker 1: That's so weird of her to do. No, it's weird, okay, So like out of all the people, him just for saying he.
Speaker 3: Liked her, well, he has had a really long history with her, so recently he had defended her. Even though Dave Portnoy is a very outspoken Donald Trump supporter, which not even a red flag scarless little circle. So he is a big Donald Trump supporter. But after Taylor's siff came out and endorsed Kamala Harris, he defended her against people and was like, you know, she's allowed to speak on who she wants, She's allowed to support who she wants.
Speaker 2: To leave her alone.
Speaker 3: When Britney Mahomes, who is a friend of Taylor's from the whole Travis Kelsey's football situation, did the campaign with Skims with Kim kardashi and he came out and blasted Brittany for not being loyal to Taylor, and like, where does your allegiance lie because so.
Speaker 1: Much that's so weird from man, I know he's a man in his late forties.
Speaker 3: No, no, it gets it gets live Brittany. So when the whole thing with Kim Kardashian and Kanye West secretly recording Taylor Swift over the song lyrics that came out when Kanye West said that he was going to say Taylor and I might still have sex in a song lyric, but when the song came out, he said, I made that bitch famous, and Taylor released the same at Shane's who was really upset about it, and then Kanye West and his team said no, she approved it, and then Kim released that audio where she had secretly recorded Taylor where it looked like she was agreeing to it on the phone, but Taylor Swift later said that the.
Speaker 1: Beach line was the one that she didn't agree to, that the call.
Speaker 3: Had been edited to look like something else. But at the time, remember how people were flooding Taylor's social accounts with the Snake and Taylor.
Speaker 1: Gave us the best album Yeah my God, and Taylor Swift's over party was trending in stuff and obviously, like people never completely turned against her, but there was a lot of hatred for her at the time.
Speaker 3: Dave Portnoy made merch supporting Taylor Swift, which I feel like there could be a copyright thing there, but she must have been. He made merch that was calling out the singer's enemies. It said all You're ever going to be is mean and a liar and pathetic. It was a t shirt, Oh my God, and then there was a lyric. I know, I don't believe she wasn't upset about that. Maybe she was happy with it because he was selling them. In her defense, well.
Speaker 1: She's probably like, oh call her, Daddy's not there anymore, so we need some money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was.
Speaker 3: And then he also sold a T shirt that read like Kim Kardashian wear Scooter Braun and all of Taylor's ex boyfriends like put them on like one shirt that you could buy.
Speaker 1: So he like genuinely loves to Swift.
Speaker 3: This is what I mean. He's been like publicly supporting her and trying to get on her side for years.
Speaker 1: He's acting like a fan girl.
Speaker 2: No I know.
Speaker 3: So when the Brittany Mahome stuff came out also at this day, she hadn't really done anything. All she'd done was her and her husband had posed for a Skims campaign because that's what Kim Kardashin does. She gets very timely people in these campaigns. And he put up a TikTok and he's like, I'm on an airplane. I don't want to make too much noise, but I hope everyone can hear me for this emergency press conference. But when Taylor Swift news strikes, I gotta be there to answer it for the Swifties. And then there was a big backlash. I can't believe how much not about this. It was a backlash that he wasn't a real Swift in he was just trying to trade on her fame over the years, and that's what he's been pushing against. And then when Alex Cooper had him on an episode of Call Her Daddy, because she's a big Taylor Swift fan as well. She was trying to do a quiz with him of like playing Taylor Swift's lyrics and asking him which song they're from, and he couldn't name any of them, and he kept saying, no, I'm a fan, I just don't know like every lyric of every song. And there was a huge backlash of people being like, Dave's been trading off her name for years. He's always the first one to jump on the news cycle and he's not even a real Swifty. So obviously he was burnt deep by that and upset. So yesterday he was showing off this letter and he was like, you guys never believe me that I was a real Swifty. But look a handwritten note from this woman, hand delivered by her brother, and apparently he and her brother hugged as the letter was delivered.
Speaker 1: He would have loved that, hug. This is a wild story.
Speaker 2: It's weird, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Because also he doesn't necessarily need to be a Swiftie to be that level of famous that he is.
Speaker 3: Right well, I guess one of the things is, like he's really built his company obviously, having like bast Or Sports is meant to be kind of like this rogue male focused, you know, making content that's meant to be a bit like a bit controversial, like, and he's built a whole empire off that. And the interesting thing is he would probably I guess, get more hits if he was against Taylor Swift. Or maybe he just knows exactly where the line is to pick his battles and he's decided to throw his hat in the ring with her, or he's just a super fan, or he just loves Taylor Swift music because he has been like for a good like millly ten years I think, spending most of his time promoting her. So that part is not like that interesting, the fact that he's obsessed with her, like it's interesting, But the fact that she sent him a handwritten letter, knowing the kind of content he does, that he would do a TikTok about it.
Speaker 2: He'll do a whole podcast about it. He posted all over his socials.
Speaker 1: It's weird that she wants to be associated with him.
Speaker 2: It's weird that.
Speaker 3: Out of all the people, like the celebrities who have spoken up about her in the past and who come to her shows, like Nicki Glacier the comedian, She's gone to something like twenty.
Speaker 2: Taylor Swift show. She travels all over the world to go to them.
Speaker 3: You know, there's people like that who have always been really outspoken defense of her. Like I'm not sure if she's sending them notes, it's an interesting thing. I just find it interesting.
Speaker 1: They were just more demure about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like you would show.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It's like when you know, not everyone showed Megan's jam when they got sent and there was like fifty of them. I know.
Speaker 3: But well, it kind of reminds me of when Taylor Swift and Katy Perry were sending messages when they were, you know, repairing their fews, and Katie Perry sent Taylor and Olive Branch and Taylor's showed like.
Speaker 1: Do with this, it was a lovely gesture.
Speaker 3: So it's more interesting that she would just align herself so publicly. Well, here's a bit about Dave porte Noy, and I should say that all of these are allegations that have not been improved, and he has denied them all. But I'm just saying this is his public history that is out there. So back in twenty twenty one, a number of sexual assault allegations were put against him. A lot of them came from this big feature that was printed in Business Insider, and they all call these really distressing sexual assault encounters that women had alleged they had had with him. So one of the allegations came from a woman who was twenty years old at the time, and she said that in the summer of twenty twenty, she alleged that Dave Portnoy filmed her having oral sex with him and then choked her without her permission, and she said in a statement, it was so rough, I felt like I was being raped. And then she was saying that she said a message to a friend later which I think was caught up in these allegations, saying I was literally screaming out in pain. And then in the past another video was made public where it looked like he was choking a young woman, but then she came out and said that particular moment was consensual. She said that she wasn't classifying it as sexual assault, but she felt preyed upon by him. And then another woman came out and alleged that Dave Portnoy choked her and filmed her without permission. And all women spoke to this publication under the condition that their names would be kept out of the press because they were too scared of retaliations what they were saying of Dave Portnoy and his followers, because they said that he has a reputation for tormenting anyone and like publicly taking them down for anyone who crosses him. After that happened, Dave Portnoy immediately went on social media and said that everything with these women had been consensual. He then went on to show screenshots and DMS from a woman saying that a similar thing had happened, but she had no regret, and it went on and on and on, and obviously he has always come out and said that wasn't true, but these allegations sort of like have become part of his story and then pretty horrific. They're pretty horrific. Allegations, and Business Insider was like, you know, we've spoken to these women, we fact check this. These are the stories, the allegations they're putting out. He's also over the years like made jokes about rape and then say like, I don't condone rape, but he'll like make jokes about it. He's called other female sports reporters sluts and you know, sea words and stuff. When he's doing his comedy. There's you know, tapes of him choking another college age girl that came out, although that woman came out, so it sounds like he doesn't like consensual well except for Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loves Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: It's just like he has a very very problematic history, I would say, and there's a lot of gray area around that around things that have happened. And even if you sort of step aside the allegations because they're not pro proven thing, like they're just the jokes he makes on his own show that you know, he owns the company. He can say whatever he wants on his podcast, on his shows, on his social media, but a lot of it just so doesn't align with anything that Taylor Swift puts out into the world. And for a woman that is so careful of like curating her image and so aware of what she's putting out in the world, and so aware of who she aligns herself with and what her fans think of her. I just think that was a really strange move from her to say I'm going to like really align myself publicly with this man when he has that reputation. But maybe at the same time, she's just also sick of having to like tiptoe around and be so aware because on the other hand, like she is quite untouchable at the moment, Like this is a new story today, but it's not going to like affect her long term and Dave Porten, who's going to live off this forever.
Speaker 2: So it's worked out well for both of them.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to The Spill today. If you want more content from us, you can always follow us on our Instagram page. At The Spill Podcast, we post a little podcast clips we sometimes post when we go to premieres. If we're lucky enough to get an invite, we will put a link through that in our show notes and we will see you back here in your podcast speed at boo PM tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye. Bye, love it, love it,