Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Maya podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded onny Fuck.
Speaker 3: I just I can't believe this is so stupid. I mean, I thought, you know, throwing a pebble at your window would be it would be cute because it's our thing.
Speaker 1: I think maybe we need a new thing.
Speaker 3: Rise and shine, beauty.
Speaker 1: I let you sleep in. It's seven al not in Bali. I've had three cups already.
Speaker 4: Oh I like the service here. Well, don't get used to it.
Speaker 1: If hit a three day limit, it's part of your exit package. Herbert an office visit to What do I owe this honor? I've been trying to reach you, but your phone has been turned off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I turned it off because of truck.
Speaker 3: It's your father. What about daddy? He had a stroke.
Speaker 1: Well, what a hospital I'll go to. No, it's too late, it's gone.
Speaker 3: I slept with Kathy.
Speaker 1: What do you mean you slept with Kathy.
Speaker 3: After the airport. She was just so upset, and I mean we both were. I guess we were just trying to comfort each other. It just happened, and it will never ever happen again. It's just it won't so odd.
Speaker 1: But I kind of understand, Charlotte. What are you doing down here?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Why why are you holding adult male? Depends?
Speaker 4: Harry has prostate cancer.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want anyone to know or to find it.
Speaker 4: Oh, so that's why I'm all the way down here.
Speaker 1: And please forget that I told you.
Speaker 4: I'm only telling you because guess that depends.
Speaker 1: Hell, I was welcome to a bonus free extra supplementary episode of out Loud where we discuss and just like that, now this is sponsored by and just like that, which you can watch on Max. What does that mean? Doesn't mean that we are told what to say, doesn't mean that we aren't giving our free and honest opinions.
Speaker 5: Because we are, because we would have done this episode anyway.
Speaker 4: Just trying to stop us talking about this show.
Speaker 5: We watched every minute of this. We have much debriefing we do.
Speaker 1: So all it means when we are sponsored to be completely transparent is that we get to make another episode for you, so we get to talk all about and just like that, it's up to episode six. There will be spoilers.
Speaker 4: Do you know that there's another six? Because I've watched episode six and I was like, how much longer do I have to go? Don't tell me it's other because I asked half into it.
Speaker 5: Are we only half way?
Speaker 1: Thought?
Speaker 4: We're only half way?
Speaker 1: Halfway? Doll?
Speaker 5: I thought there were some louth hen.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, there are some really sense you were like, really, they've liked this girl flubbing? Anyway, why do you The way I'd like to start is by just recapping where we're at with our characters, and I think we have to start, probably with Carrie an Aiden. I think that episode six was a big one, Holly, take it away. How are you feeling about SJP? Sorry about carry ann Aiden?
Speaker 4: I should say, well, I really enjoyed the episode where Carrie went down to Virginia. I found that really interested.
Speaker 1: I think you're the only one I know.
Speaker 4: I think I was. But I found it interesting because although all that like I'm just gonna take it lightly stuff was annoying. I liked the reality check that she got when she had to see what a complicated family looks like up close, and she was kind of like, I don't really belong in this scenario. I quite like that. Then, of course we have the not so subtle seeding of the man downstairs.
Speaker 5: I like the callbacks right because Carrie has relationship, whether romantic or not, with Writer is from our Burger days when she had that very complicated, iconic relationship with him, who then left a post it note which we also saw in episode six, which was when Aiden put the post it note on the mirror.
Speaker 1: And Jesse, can I blow your mind further? You know, in real life Berger is married to Kathy, Aiden's ex wife. Yes, the Actressy plays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the rider downstairs. You know, it's always an interesting thing about whether the two writers should get him a thing, but he's clearly there to be seated as a potential interest. And what we found out about carrying episode six, and obviously this episode contains spoilers, so do not listen if you haven't watched it, is that when Aiden, who's clearly going through a bit of a bad time, turns up throws a rock through a window that doesn't get out well, but then divulges that he slept with Kathy, and Carrie kind of goes that was fine. I was like, is that in character or out of character for Carrie?
Speaker 5: I think it's meant to show evolution. Carry we know, and there's been a lot of discussion about whether she's changed or whether she is just the same carry as she has changed. I think that she's evolved. I think that she's more grown up.
Speaker 1: And I felt she's clinically depressed this season, which is understandable because of Big, Right.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't see that, but she.
Speaker 1: Hasn't mentioned Big one time. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like she's living her best life in a way, like being semi single in that beautiful house and tripping around in her shoes.
Speaker 5: I have two issues with I do love. Actually, let's just make it three, all right. One thing, take your shoes off. So there is a complaint from the neighbor downstairs that she's clamping in her heels and he tries to sleep during the day. Take the shoes off.
Speaker 1: Lady, don't want that. Just sewing throwing red meat to the base like it's just a way of showing lots of carrying shoes, like carry and shoes, carrying shoes. I thought that was actually a very effective way to get a ton of outfits from below the knee. Me too, and I was quite satisfied by it, even though I thought the plot was silly.
Speaker 5: Second point, she was a bitch about the window. I feel as though like he got it, window was a mistake. My issue with Carrie sometimes is that like she doesn't really apologize. She says something really hurtful, and then the person who is like that hurt me and she kind of looks at them and he's like, h.
Speaker 4: But hold on, so what happened, right, Let's be clear. So Aiden turns up after their sort of semi disastrous Virginia situation. He turns up and in the old days he used to throw pebbles up to her window when she lived in that beautiful brownstone. Kid, it's a callback, and so he's trying to do that, but he shatters the window, and she is upset because it's beautiful antiqu glass, and she's very obsessed with this at the minute. She's writing historical fiction that apparently casts little rainbows. Now, I had no idea that there were different types of glass. I didn't know that there was like fancy glass that casts rainbows and cheap glass that doesn't. But I thought her reaction was fair enough, because you know that sometimes somebody damages or loses or something that is important to you. Yeah, and we're all supposed to go, oh, it doesn't matter, it's fine, and she does go it doesn't matter, it's fine after a while, but your.
Speaker 1: Initial reaction everything's ruined.
Speaker 4: Can sometimes reveal how you really feel about it. And so when she made that stupid comment about like, but it won't cust the little rambos, that that's how she really felt. And then she realized she was being unreasonable and was this worth having a big fight about? And she tried to backtrack. I've done that many times.
Speaker 1: Is anyone still cheering for them? Because this man makes my vagina shrivel into.
Speaker 5: The SaHas too small suit that made me want to but just.
Speaker 1: Everything about him he is so even before the licking hand in episode one, the weirdness of will you wait for five years? The inconsistency about Kathy has a partner and what whyat can't ever be left alone? That whole plotline I just find incredibly unsatisfying. And what I also found awesome but then unsatisfying, because every so often the writers give Sarah Jessica Parker enough to get her teeth into and you're like, oh god, she's a great actress. That scene where he confesses about sleeping with Kathy, and so many things go over her face, and then she starts saying, well, actually, I understand it's not the reaction I thought she'd have. I understand how that could happen. And he's like, aren't you mad that I slept with someone. She's like no, and he's like, well, i'd be mad if you slept with someone, and she's like, well wait, I didn't agree to not sleep with someone. And then she says what we've all been thinking. I can't believe we're only just talking about this now, and I'm like, thank you, yes, they talk about it.
Speaker 5: We would like to know the parameters of this relation.
Speaker 1: But then the scene ends and the next cut is of them in bed when his Dick's probably still you know, and someone else like sting.
Speaker 5: That I don't think Aiden was invited to the funeral. I'll put that on the table. Have you even met her, let alone her father?
Speaker 4: So this is ltw's funerals. Her father dies, and there's a clumsy plot, but it's I get what they're doing of like, she was so busy at work, she didn't answer the phone, and she missed the final moments with her father. They all go to the funeral. The funeral is great, Like I'm just putting it out there. It was great. The funeral turns up and his two small suit, which is bad, But you're right, he probably wasn't invited, but he should go with her. I would expect my partner to come to a funeral with me if he was in town.
Speaker 5: No, I feel as though it was like a New York event hole exactly. They used it as date night. Two more little notes on carry The first one is is anyone really dictating their text messages? That was That's annoying me. The second thing is I worry about the lack of research going into the romantic fiction.
Speaker 1: Although I do have to say just on the text message. I have always been wondering how you do functuation, and now I know say that.
Speaker 5: So she's writing, she's writing that historical novel, and she's doing no research. She's just going off vibes, and I feel like she's got to read a few primary sources.
Speaker 4: She's done a lot of research into that house, a lot of research. Yes, she talked about it heaps in that first boring bit where she met with one who anyway back to we need to focus tiny bit more on that confession. Right, My view is I think it was very mature of her to be like, Okay, I can see how that could happen. I could see how it could happen too, But cheating with your ex wife is actually worse than cheating with just some random bar person.
Speaker 1: Don't you think, oh, we are clearer on the parameters of this arrangement, because.
Speaker 4: But that's okay. Relationships are messy. But I like that she knew that. I like that she went I wasn't thinking of being celibate, and I thought, oh, so now the man downstairs, the sexy gardener, whoever they're seeding for us that she might sleep with, she actually might sleep with them. But it doesn't mean it's over with Aden. But that was exciting.
Speaker 1: Whole We spent an entire episode with her angsting like a teenager about the thumbs down emoji, and then he goes, oh, I slept with Kathy, and she's.
Speaker 4: Like, as you rightly say, she was axting about are we supposed to be in contact? Aren't we all that? Now they are they're working it out in real time. But don't you think it's worse to sleep with your ex wives that are stranger.
Speaker 5: I actually don't don't know. No, I feel as though looking at them, I had the same reaction that Carrie did, which was like, oh, I don't really care that he slept with Kathy because they both know it's done. They both did it in like a moment of like sadness.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Bob's going to feel about it, Yeah, poor Bob.
Speaker 4: I think it's worse because they do have history and they're always going to be in each other's lives because of the kids. So how many more times might it happen? Oras If it's just the bar maid from the tavern down the road, that's a different situation anyway, from the tavern. We'll be back with more of our very real feelings about it.
Speaker 1: Just like that.
Speaker 5: In a second, can we talk about Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Please, let's talk about Charlotte. I'm deep in the and just like that subreddits, and there's a lot of discussion about Kristin Davis and her permanently startled expression. I like it, and just feeling like she's just a ditch and that she's just got.
Speaker 4: She's always been that. What did you think was gonna happen charlotte'suddenly going to be like reincarnated as Yoda.
Speaker 1: I do you have Charlotte in the club? I liked it when Charlotte went in the club. Harry has not had a good season, and now we know why he's got prostate cancer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel such warmth towards Harry, Poor Harry. Yeah. I found that storyline really stink, like whether she tells her friends and her acting out of character. She's someone who relies on her friends a lot.
Speaker 4: And also I liked how Carrie knew, like she just knew. Carrie was like, what's going on with you? That nothing? The others didn't care, but Harry could pick it up. But is it fair for Harry to have asked her of that? Because he gets diagnosed with prostate cancer? He makes it clear lots of guys my age do it's gonna be fine, but we can all acknowledge that cancer is a scary word, a scary diagnosis. It would be scary. So they're going through what they're going through, and he says, do not tell the girls. Is that a fair thing to ask?
Speaker 5: I think you have to honor it. And I think that when she's found in the shop by Carrie, she had no choice. She kind of had to just reveal what was happening. But I think so, And I think that that.
Speaker 1: Loadin Nigga's fair really no, because not only are you asking her to cope with it, you're asking her to cope with it without any support and having to be like everything's fine, everything's fine. And I think that that's one thing perhaps for men who might be able to have those kind of friendships, but as a woman, when you've got very deep friendships, as you say, oh, your friend's clock it, so either you've got to just sort of be detached from everybody, but the person around the person who's unwell in a situation like that also is going through an incredibly difficult time and they need support of their own, like the Karen needs caring too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I understand his point that he just doesn't want people. And if he told the way that they're all so enmeshed, like whenever someone meets him, they're gonna look at him a certain way and speak to him a certain No.
Speaker 1: I get that. I just think it's a tough ass.
Speaker 4: What do you think they're trying to tell us? Because obviously Charlotte and her friendship with LTW is more and more prominent. They're really good mates. Now, what's going on with LTW and the hot editor? What are they trying to tell us about that?
Speaker 5: Like the work crush line.
Speaker 1: I really like this because she's got a hot husband, they've got a great marriage, she's fulfilled in marriage, they have a great set, So it's not that anything's lacking, And I think that that now this grief situation, losing her father is an interesting complication, and she's clearly got complex feelings about work and about family. But I like what they're playing with here. And I also like this actor a lot. I think she's got the two hottest men in the whole show.
Speaker 4: She does, definitely George Washington Miranda.
Speaker 5: Miranda has a girlfriend. I'm quite enjoying. It feels like the first kind of grown up relationship that Miranda has had since she came.
Speaker 1: Out, Yes, since before she came out. I don't know if her relationship with Steve felt like an over relationship of equals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, I like very much. Particularly in the earlier scenes of her and Joy, the writers are really nailing their dialogue.
Speaker 5: The flirting.
Speaker 4: The flirting was great, that back and forth was great. I don't know, as is always the case, now that it's actually been fulfilled and they're moving into relationship church, it might not be quite It's so fun. Joy is a little bit painful about those little dogs, as much as I like dogs. But that was really fun and the actress is great.
Speaker 1: And I've really warmed to Brady in that scene that he has even met Joy. I was expecting that to go a different way. I also really liked, you know, this idea of the troubled teenager in Wyatt. But I liked that there were some other young men through the show with Aidan's other two sons and now Brady, who are like really good young men, yes.
Speaker 4: And welcoming of their parents' partners. I really like that, and I think Joy's great. Do we have high hopes?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I do have high I think I want some happiness from Aroanda. I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: We'll be back after this break to talk about Seema complicated feelings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why do we think that Seema suddenly everything's going wrong for Seema?
Speaker 1: I can't well, because they needed a complication, but I can't warm to Seema. I feel like they obviously brought her in. They brought a few characters.
Speaker 5: Into it, but she's the new amount.
Speaker 1: She's the news amount, and she was brought in I think as the new Samantha, like a very ambitious, ball busting, single, sex positive older woman. My problem with Seema is that she has none of the lightness and charm that Kim Kachrall Is an actor had, and that the character of Samantha had. She was a ball buster, but she was also a little bit naughty and a little bit mischievous, and she had a great sense of humor. I feel like Sema is incredibly negative.
Speaker 5: I disagree. I really really like I think that she.
Speaker 1: I think she's always complaining funny.
Speaker 5: I see her as being funny and ambitious and challenging, and the relationship that she has with Carrie seems a bit like a proxy for Samantha to me, and I like what she represents. I like that there's a fourth chair. I think it feels empty, yeah when there's just three of them sitting there, so I think that she's fitting quite well.
Speaker 4: I also really enjoyed I know it wasn't in these episodes, it was in one of the early ones, but I really enjoyed that little montage where she met all the time, you know, and she said updated type in New York. And there's the guy who want a bitch about his ex wife and there's and she's like, I can tell.
Speaker 5: You're going to be my favorite. Like that was when the man sat down and she just goes nope.
Speaker 4: I also really like looking at Sema. I think she's beautiful too. I like that her forehead moves. I like that her clothes are amazing, Like she has a very distinct color scheme. I'm very upset she's had to give up that car that.
Speaker 1: Don't give up smoking, which she definitely has not, given that car that.
Speaker 4: Is this particular custom color which you never see. It's very sad for her. Why are they bringing Sema to her niece?
Speaker 1: I know, I find that the way, And it's not the actress's fault, because the actress is amazing, Sarita Chowdry, but they write her as such a caricature, Like the way she talks is not the way humans talk.
Speaker 5: None of them talk like humans talk. But it's their shoehorning in and they're doing this with all of it. But like a plot line that is realistic for women of that age. So it's like us three could sit here and go okay, So you've got to have a health complicated even the exploring the sexuality thing that's been Miranda's and for her it's like this real crossroads. I mean, it's sort of like what mids almost like they've listened to a season of Midle. They have yes, they just don't bring up protein enough. I think that that's going to be the next thing. But with her, it's kind of going. She's at this crossroads in her career where she's like, do I want to keep working for someone else or do I have this wind in me to kind of do it myself. I think a lot of women are facing that.
Speaker 4: You're right, Actually, she is at a crossroads. So we're at the halfway point of the season. Let's make some predictions. What's going to happen with Carry and the guy downstairs. One of the things that I quite like about the Aiden situation is that they are setting it up that she could have both in a way, which I quite like.
Speaker 1: It makes sense actually now because you know the scene where she's having dinner with him, and what I'm loving is the dialogue because I just think Aiden's as dumb as a brick, and she can't flirt with him like Carrie. He's not quite a character. She's a writer, she's funny, she likes playing with words, she likes puns. She can't banter it. There's no banter with Aiden because Aiden just says something like you're as hot as a garage calendar girl, and like, oh, I just find that he's such a bumpkin and he's so dumb. But there's that big like frisson and good banter with Duncan.
Speaker 5: I have a theory about it, all right, so this is going to go. I'm loving the callback. So I reckon that she's going to give him feedback and he's going to take it on board, and she's going to find that very sexy. I wonder if, as you say, Holly, the thing about having them both he is only in New York for six months a year. I wonder if she's like six months on six months off like she does the Aiden and him thing, that would be fun.
Speaker 4: I really admire the confidence of her giving her first chapter of her historical row, which is terrible. Pull it surprise living biographer from London, who, by every like signpost we've been given, is a commogonally snob when it comes to writing. I like the confidence where she's like, sure, read this, that's good.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes sense to me now about their dynamic is that she's not like flirting coy. She's like they're equals and their friendly. And that's why in the scene after that, before Aiden arrives and she's brushing her teeth, she just mentions Duncan casually, Oh, I had this stew and Duncan something. There's something going on, by the way, So I think she's going to have a.
Speaker 4: Health problem too.
Speaker 1: They're definitely signaling something.
Speaker 4: Definitely, maybe she's pregnant, there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's definitely a health complication being signaled quite strongly there. But when she's brushing her teeth, she just casually says Duncan, So she's not like hiding anything. So obviously she's just yeah, I'm really liking that.
Speaker 5: I reckon that LTW is going to toe the line very close with her sexy man in the workplace, Like, I think that that's going to be a line that she tows, and it's a question of whether she goes over it or not. I don't think it's going to be a four blown affair or anything. She's just going to tell it and then she's going to be like, hang on, I love this man from Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why wouldn't you?
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think think Carrie is going to end up with Dunkan. I think that the aident. I'd love it to see if it was a polyamorous situation that would feel modern, it.
Speaker 4: Would feel it would be fine.
Speaker 5: And how about Charlotte. I think Aiden would.
Speaker 4: Not handle that. He's like, he would not handle it, but it would be fun for her woman.
Speaker 5: Charlotte and Harry, he's going to be absolutely fine.
Speaker 1: He'll be fine.
Speaker 4: That's just they can't take that up because, as you said about it being your favorite, like Charlotte and Harry lovely the best relationship, and you're right, he has another good season, but he gets a few good lines and every now and again, Harry.
Speaker 1: I'm just glad that she's got more to do than just have silly plotline about a dog being canceled.
Speaker 5: Seems is going to choose herself, just like Samantha always.
Speaker 4: She's going to be successful and.
Speaker 5: She's going to meet someone who's got yeah she is.
Speaker 1: Oh, so she's going to hook up with a gardener hot gardener. Oh yeah, of course, if not her type. And I think Joy and Miranda will be a solid thing. I think it'll be lovely.
Speaker 5: Agree. It just feels like a really safe place at a time that is not good in terms of the news and everything. I really like spending time with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. It's like I go through a whole journey. Every episode I get infuriated, and then I'm like, I want a million more episodes out loud as. You can watch the first six episodes of And just like that on Max Streaming Now see soon, Bye bye bye.