Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm on the Mere podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Unleashed, a podcast for gen X women who need a laugh.
Speaker 3: This podcast, I can promise you three things.
Speaker 4: What are they here?
Speaker 2: First of all, you will not learn anything else no longer. Secondly, we are not talking about the news. This is not that show.
Speaker 3: And the third, you don't have to remember anything. Hopefully we will anyway.
Speaker 5: Who is on the couch with me today? I'm Mary Christmas, I'm an actress writer.
Speaker 1: I'm Bruna pep Andrea. I'm a film and television producer.
Speaker 6: Hirah Babby is Grace Lamb, fashion stylist in their house.
Speaker 2: Hi, and I am Tony comedian. It is hard to follow, all right. On this show, we have a talking stick. Whoever has the stick has the floor. It can talk about anything you want, big or small.
Speaker 3: Petty or polarizing. Who wants to start.
Speaker 6: Me, I'll go first. I'm an own child, Grace, So something crazy happened recently? What I had to fight off an intruder?
Speaker 4: What I know?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 6: I mean for people who don't know what I look like, I'm only five with five ice Chinese. I would say I'm more of a slim built person. So one night I was sleeping.
Speaker 4: Hang on, hang on, you're fighting off an intruder in your home.
Speaker 6: So I was sleeping, and one thing about me, you don't You might not know that I have sonic hearing. I can hear everything from very far away. I can even hear even when you're asleep.
Speaker 8: You can still hear it like puppies.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, like when when my son coughs, I can hear it and he's on the other side of the flat. So one night I was sleeping and then suddenly I hear this rattling noise. And by the way, I can also hear you about me. I was sleeping and I heard some rattling noise and I thought it was our sun going to the toilet in the middle of the night. It wasn't. So I got out of bed, went over the other side of the apartment, went to the toilet, check on him. He wasn't there. Went into his room he was fast asleep. Then I still hear this rattling noise. I creep to the door, looked through the keyhole. There was a fucking guy in a red baseball cab jacket shot trying to break into God My immediate thought was that, oh my god, should I wake up Jason because he's on the other side of the apartment, right But by the time I get there, that guy might have come in and his where we were, it's much closer to my kids room. So I was like, oh my god, need to protect my kid.
Speaker 4: So okay, can I just stop you for a second.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would just be waking up my husband at screaming, screaming, screaming, or were you like, no, they're not in yet.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just go protect my kid.
Speaker 6: I don't know what came over me. All I thought was like, I'm gonna take charge and I'm not gonna inform Jason my husband straight away. And I basically started banging on the door like a crazy woman, but I lower my voice to five octave so I don't sound like a woman. So basically I was going.
Speaker 8: Got the fuck out of here, your fund.
Speaker 5: Off.
Speaker 6: I was going off, and he wouldn't budge. He would not budge.
Speaker 8: By then is Jason up? At this point?
Speaker 6: Jason, my husband's up already, and he was like, what's going on? What's going on? And another thing is, ladies, I wear a splint like a mouth guard, so me trying to threaten and intrude that when.
Speaker 2: I have my lips, I'm going stop it.
Speaker 6: It didn't go down very well. It didn't go down very well. Wasn't that stretching your son up?
Speaker 7: At this?
Speaker 6: I was, it's getting and I was like.
Speaker 8: Got the fuck out of you. Fuck what you're trying to do.
Speaker 7: He will not stop.
Speaker 8: What time is? It was three a m.
Speaker 6: And I turned around and said to Jason, called the police, call upge downstairs, and I think that guy hurt us. And he went away, and I thought, oh my god, he's doing the rounds on a whole floor. The thing with my building is it's a really safe building. Unless you have a fop on the same floor, you can't get in. So I thought, oh my god, how.
Speaker 7: Did he get in? Right?
Speaker 6: The blood thickens, Oh my god. And then I looked through a keyhole. He came back and he said, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm like, oh my god. It's the neighbors drunk. It was he was trying to get into the wrong party drunk.
Speaker 1: He got the wrong door and all that that I've done, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And I thought, you know what, my corterso went through the roof fl oh and after I I then I realized, oh my god, it's the neighbors drunk, right an intruder is not gonna apologize.
Speaker 5: Come on, Grace, you don't know your neighbors. You don't know what they look like. You've not seen him before.
Speaker 6: I've not seen him before. Do you know why? Because our next door neighbors is a couple, like a couple, an old couple, and they live somewhere else in other states, and they only come to Melbourne once in a blue moon to see their son and the grandkids. So I know that's the son who's probably having the weekend with the boys and got out of hand and away from the kids. So he was having a blast. But to be fair, our door is exactly the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I don't, kind of I'm that guy, I know.
Speaker 6: But three am in the morning, come down and I woke up the next So then I said to Jason, So Jason said, with.
Speaker 8: Kath with him.
Speaker 6: So I said to Jason, go to bed, let us sleep with you tonight. I'm gonna guard the door. And Jason just went you guarding the door? I'm like, yes, let me guard the door because I feel strong. You know, I'm like, not a mama bear because I was Chinese, like a mama panda. I'm like, you know what, let me gut the door. I'm going to fight whoever's going to come in. He was like, okay, Grace, you do you even though I'm six foot, I'm stronger than you. I'm like, go go sleep.
Speaker 4: But didn't you know at this point you were safe?
Speaker 6: No, I know, but I wasn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Too much. It was too much. And then the next day I woke up. The first thing I said to my boys were I already have a speech that I'm going to tell that guy what I think of him. Three am in the morning. I said, don't let me see him today. If I see him today, he's going to get it today. And Jason was like, good morning to you too. You know that's how I rolled.
Speaker 5: And Grace, did you sleep in front of the door? Did you sleep in your son's bedroom?
Speaker 6: I slept in my son's bedroom because it's very close to the door. And yeah, I was guarding it all night with your eyes closed right next to me.
Speaker 2: Did you keep your splint on?
Speaker 1: I did something I'd never done before, which I'm sure a lot of people listening have done before. I was at the Crown Hotel for something and had a room and the key wasn't working to my room and I was like, it's not working, and there was someone on the floor cleaning the rooms, and I was like, I'm so sorry. I don't want to go downstairs because it's a pretty large hotel. Can you please open the door?
Speaker 8: And they did.
Speaker 1: Turns out I hadn't looked at the room number properly and I walked in and a guy was sitting on the bed.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it was the wrong room.
Speaker 4: So I kind of identify with that guy.
Speaker 5: Then, Bunny, when you walked in and you saw they guy sitting on the bed, did you still think it was your room for a minute.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: At that point, I was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry, and I felt so bad that i'd also put this other person in that position, but that had never happened to me where I was like, fully, no, no, no, the key's not working. You guys, Oh my god, it always happens to me. And I totally just looked at the.
Speaker 7: Room number wrong.
Speaker 4: So I kind of feel for your neighbor a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yes, but I was so you didn't jump into him?
Speaker 6: No, not yet, but I am. Yeah, I'm looking up for him, don't you worry. I actually think that I saw him yesterday because he wouldn't look at this guy wouldn't look at me. He wouldn't look at me.
Speaker 4: In the eye.
Speaker 6: He knows, so he knows.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting to see you on the daily Mail. Not in a good way, viral.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, on that note, who wants a stick?
Speaker 5: I do marry Chris because okay, now what I'm about to say might make me sound like a monster.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: The other day I was on the phone to our fantastic producer Moms, and at the end of a very good call was not romantic in any way, Mon said, I love you.
Speaker 7: Oh that's lovely.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I love her, But I don't think we're at the point where we should be saying.
Speaker 5: And I was thinking, you know, we're saying I love you too much, and I love a lot you do. I've been loved well and I think I love really well. And yet I don't want to throw it around Willy Nelly Nilsen.
Speaker 2: I could go squirt it around like it like it's Sometimes I do. It's like, oh, it's like my HRT, I just cover everyone in it.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm all for saying it, but are we saying it now as a way of trying to communicate something else. Is it a way of saying sorry? Is it a way of saying hi, it is nice to meet you, or is it a way of, you know, saying I'm feeling grateful.
Speaker 8: I feel really good right now.
Speaker 5: I just feel like we've diluted the word the concept of I love you a lot.
Speaker 7: In general.
Speaker 2: I wish there was because in a lot of languages there are a lot of different words for love aren't correct, and I do wish we had something between like and love, especially on date two for me going out with a guy on second date, I'm feeling it for It's like I need.
Speaker 3: A mid mid range strong word. It's not love.
Speaker 5: I think we're flogging that three word little thing way too much.
Speaker 8: I mean, we're using it all the time. I don't know how you go.
Speaker 5: Grew up, but I didn't hear it all the time. Growing up, I knew I was loved, you know, I didn't say it. I didn't hear it, And now we're hearing it all the time. We're saying it to complete strangers. You know, on stage, you win an award, I love you, you know, like you get a good feeling in your heart and suddenly you.
Speaker 8: Have to tell everyone you love them. Right, Yeah, but I just thought we've gone too far. Yeah, we'll agree.
Speaker 1: I completely disagree. Yeah, I mean, fucking hater's got a hate bear, Like, come on, I mean, I'm like, I mean, I do tell my kids, and I also grumb it. My mum absolutely loved me, but we weren't a family who said it all the time. And I think that our generation probably didn't say it as much as this generation. And you know, certainly in America, there's a lot of positive affirmations, shall we say, you know what they are?
Speaker 4: Gap, I did, but I kind of go out.
Speaker 1: Of my way because I don't think I'm particularly naturally, you know, I'm not a big fan kind of a well, I'm not touchy, and I don't love a hug from a complete stranger, shall we say? But I do tell my kids and people I love, I love them all the time.
Speaker 4: And what's wrong with them?
Speaker 7: What's the negative?
Speaker 8: I've got no issue with telling the people you love.
Speaker 5: I have a issue with telling people that you might not even know their surname or where they live, they love them.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean I'm a big advocate for love.
Speaker 2: You know. The other day i'd sort of I'd ask Lewis to you know, say, you know, I said I love you. He's like yeah, he said, do you always say that? I was like yeah, And then I just said, you know what, no one says it to me.
Speaker 3: Maybe I just need you to say that. Can you say it back? And this is some way to school poor kid? Ba?
Speaker 8: I just need it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love love.
Speaker 2: But to Mary's point, I knew that I was loved, but like our family weren't weren't big on the big L words. So when I was last at home, and you know, my parents are late seventies now, so you know, I'm very kind of all over them like a rash just in case, and it's Christmas time, and I was like, you guys, like you never say you love each other, do you?
Speaker 3: I don't really see hugle hold hands.
Speaker 2: My dad have been like married, I think they've been married, Like my mama's only ever been with my dad, Like they are a rock solid couple. And they were just like, you know, we know, we don't need to say it. So now every WhatsApp chat, every time I close the FaceTime and they go love you, love you, we love each other.
Speaker 3: So yeah, what about you grow space.
Speaker 6: I mean I was Chinese. My parents have never said I love you to me until recently. I caught my mother off guard. Oh so it was I think it was Chinese New Year. I call my mother first thing in the morning. She was still asleep. Bear in mind, Hong Kong is two hours behind, two three hours behind, so I call her. She wasn't expected and she woke up. I was like, Hima, Happy New Year's I me and she was like.
Speaker 2: I ralph you.
Speaker 7: I'm like what God?
Speaker 6: And I said, did She's just say I love you or I rub you?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: She said in the English, which is even more funny. And I thought, Okay, she's not a drunk and she's some crack or she's just not working up. So I'm fifty three now, so that is the first time I heard her say. Come, I'm not joking. Chinese people do not say I love you in the family. Never ever have they show love. It's true action. So they could love you by giving you a plate of dumplings.
Speaker 4: Yeap.
Speaker 6: That's how they show love by feeding you throw up and that's how we roll. But with my kid, I'm completely opposite. Like my husband, Jason and I always very affectionate with each other, always I love you, and of course we fight. But with our kid we always make sure he knows. But at the same time, because I'm also a feisty mom, so sometimes I kind of I also like to say that for me, it's very easy to say I love you to a lot of people, right because people would full of like bullshit words. I can say I love you, Bruna Buch, I don't in your face, but what is my action? I much rather to take actions over retrick, you know, So it's just too easy. Words is too easy. I like to see action.
Speaker 4: I try and do both.
Speaker 1: I mean, I try and do both. But I think there's nothing worse. I mean, I'm sure we've all done it, but there's nothing worse than when you think someone said it to you, even just like in a friendly context, and you say I love you too, and they didn't say it, or that's happened, right, that's happened. It's like when someone says you think someone says, how are you? And you go good, thanks, and they never said how are you. I don't know why, but I do that all the time. I don't love you guys.
Speaker 8: Growing up, my mother told me this story.
Speaker 5: She was working on an assembly line like most migrant workers, and that's where you know, they learned all about sex and and they learned all about the different cultures because they were all working on that line together.
Speaker 8: And she told me about this Ossie woman.
Speaker 5: And every day the Ossie woman's husband would drop her at the factory and he would say I love you, and she would say I love you back, and my mother would of course, who loves sound effects like schlukschlook and things like that.
Speaker 8: She said, he would give her a kiss. Matts Mutz.
Speaker 5: That was them both kissing each other. And this Ossie woman would talk about how much she loved her husband, and every morning there he was again, I love you, darling, I love you too, Martsmortz, Mart'smortz. Then one day this Australian woman came to work and she was really really upset.
Speaker 8: And all the ethnic women like, well, what happened?
Speaker 5: And she said she got home from work and there was a note from her husband and he said, I don't love you anymore.
Speaker 8: I love somebody else. I'm leaving you.
Speaker 5: And so that's when I think my mother got a real healthy cynicism around how the word is often how you feel in that moment, it might not be permanent. And she said, your father and I never said I love you. I love you all the time, but God, I knew he loved me.
Speaker 1: Oh God, you really threw some rainbows and unicorns on that one man, that's all.
Speaker 6: Oh God, kath Ma, honey, yes, you know when you said, Lewis didn't say back to you. I think with boys it's very different than girls, I think. And I had that moment for so many times with my kid and he's only twelve. But the other day last week I dropped him off a school. Before he shut the door, he said, Mama, long eye late. I started tearing and then he shut that he left. It means I love you, And I was thought, wow, I didn't even ask, I didn't even say it, and he said it to me, So that means he meant it. That meant so much more than when I ask him to say it. So I think with boys you just have to let them do their thing.
Speaker 2: Oh look, in Lewis's defense, because you'll absolutely never listen to the podcast. He always says he loves me. And what I love is if I'm dropping him and a couple of lads to like footage training and we're talking like seventeen year olds.
Speaker 3: As he gets out, the carry goes love you.
Speaker 4: Mum says that a lot more than my daughter.
Speaker 7: Yeah more.
Speaker 2: I think I just wanted like an extra couple that morning was a need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sometimes needed like three or four and come on more, I'm back and forth. Do you really annoy the hell out of them?
Speaker 7: That's love?
Speaker 2: Right, It is time for blast from the Past and Bruno, you set us some homework last week, Yes, that is Legit kept me up.
Speaker 3: Explain.
Speaker 1: So last week I was in London and I was lucky enough to be. You know, there's this amazing Billie Eilish documentary which is basically a kind of concept film plus extra and one of the things that wowed me. My daughter is she loves Billie Eilish. But one of the things that struck me so deeply about watching the concert film documentary is the level of passion and connection that her fans, these young people all over the globe feel for her. I'd never experienced anything like it, and it made me think, like, what was that for me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I am a self confessed not a music person at all, but I feel like when I was younger, I was, and so I'd love to know from all of you. That's why I set you this homework. And I know you're kind of all really into music. What was that for you? Who was that artist for you? Or what was that song that really made you feel connected?
Speaker 3: Well, Brunett, what was yours?
Speaker 1: So I'm an interesting one. I always say I'm good at a lot of things, but I know nothing about music, and music has just never been my thing. Fun fact, when my car got broken into for the third time in London, they just stopped stealing my record collection because it was so bad that passion.
Speaker 4: In my car.
Speaker 1: But for me, the thing that really makes me feel happy when I think about music was the connection to my mother. When we were younger, she was always playing certain artists and the main artist that my mother always played when I was younger was Dolly Parton. Loved Love Dolly, So for me, lots of Dolly Parton songs, but the one that felt like it kind of was all about my life was this song called Code of Many Colors by Dolly Parton. So I want you guys to just listen to these lyrics for a second and then I'll tell you what they mean to me.
Speaker 9: My Code of Many Colors that my MoMA me me.
Speaker 7: Me only from bad, but I wore.
Speaker 5: It song round.
Speaker 7: Although we had no money, I was riches.
Speaker 6: I could be in my Call of Many Colors.
Speaker 4: Mama made me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I mean, I'm crying trying because for me, we grew up with no money, and my grandma and grandpa were Taylor's and they made all our clothes literally, and they made all my mother's clothes, and it was this very homemade it was very.
Speaker 4: Sound of music, you know, And so I just it makes.
Speaker 1: Me remember that kind of incredible time and that's love for me. And so that's why it just makes me really emotional hearing those lyrics so lovely.
Speaker 6: We are crying, Yeah, Kath.
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 3: Oh this is very different. I like, I mean, I live and die by my tunes.
Speaker 2: So when you set us this homework, I literally I went to bed one night at two am because I just went down a rabbit on.
Speaker 3: All the songs that means so much to me.
Speaker 2: So I want you to imagine that you are on a bus, you're fourteen, You're going to school. You've got your Walkman on, You've got clean battery, so you know it's going to get you all the way to school and back. You've just put a cassette in to the Walkman, and then this song comes on, not as teary as yours, still tune, So that was the Smith.
Speaker 3: There is a light that never goes out.
Speaker 2: And Damian Jones, who was in the year above mate, was my boyfriend and we just started a date and he made me a mixtape, which to me now would that's worth a diamond ring if somebody makes you a mixtape. Oh my gosh, I do miss that about our gen next days. And the great thing about him, apart from his chiseled looks and that he was a skater and a surfer and he did art and he's very moody and it's still very handsome now. He had an older sister who I'm still friends with. So I'm just probably just turned forteen. I'm in the world of Banana Rama, mccassley, Madonna, wam all amazing and music I would still listen to now. But when I heard that song, and I'm I suppose it's like that coming of age moment where I'm falling in love for the first time.
Speaker 3: I'm growing up, like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, the whole world is out there and music takes you to those places. And suddenly I'm hearing Morrissey and I'm hearing the like the juxtaposition.
Speaker 3: Of the music.
Speaker 2: You've got quite dark lyrics if a double decker bus crushed into us, did I by your side? But you've got it with like a jaunty pop melody that it's one of the most beautiful beasts of music. And so I think going from you Banana Ramas and mc cassis, I was just like, and you know, I grew up listening to like the Top forty on the radio, and I listened to my mum listen and dad listening to, you know, the Dollies and Kenny's. But this was me discovering like music that I just wouldn't have heard on the radio necessarily on see on Top of the Pops, and I just that was the beginning of my love affair with the Smiths and Morrissey, which still goes strong and storytelling, like the beauty of the like the stys you get and his.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Anyway, the romance with Damien was short lived.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean when you were fourteen, those feelings, because they're the ones that have come first, and you never forget your big first crushes. They're just all encompassing because we're so hormonal, so fresh to the mix, as they would say on bad radio shows, you know, and you just fresh legs on the field and everything. I remember boys used to walk past me, boys that I had crushes on at high school. They will walk past me in the corridor and I'd lose my breath and I miss those feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also just how a song can take you right back to that moment.
Speaker 2: Straight back to the bus. And I think The Cure was the next song on the playless. He just was a man of great taste or his sister was so thank you.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 5: So there has never been an artist that has impacted more on my life and the way I look at the world than Stevie Wonder. When I, like Bruna, grew up pretty poor in Collingwood, we moved to the white middle class and I was ostracized because I was not white, and I was not middle class. I was off white, and when I say off, I was off in the mixture of the.
Speaker 8: Whites in the area. And my dad bought us a record player.
Speaker 5: My brother and I went to buy a few albums and we bought Songs in the Key of Life, which is considered the favorite album of Prince of Michael Jackson of some of the greatest artists of our time. George Michael has redone some of the songs on this album. At my wedding, I had my very good friend Danni Olkaha sing a Stevie Wonder song and so as most people that are listening to the podcast if you've listened to an earlier podcast, I struggled to become a mum. And so when that day finally arrived, where our beautiful daughter who's now twelve and a half came into the world, we had a playlist. My husband, George, put a playlist together and the moment and this we could not have controlled this, because that playlist started, you know, ten minutes earlier or whatever. And when she first got turned around and shown to me by my obstetrician, first time ever I saw your face came on ROBERTA Flak. But the first time she was put on my chest, this song comes on.
Speaker 1: That's the one.
Speaker 8: So that was Stevie wonders, isn't she lovely?
Speaker 7: And she was.
Speaker 5: She was perfect and healthy and the cutest thing I'd ever seen. So here's my philosophy. If I'm not laughing, I want to be crying. I'm not really interested in anything else of them.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 5: So that room was the same room I'd lost my other daughter in. So this was the complete opposite experience.
Speaker 8: So that was epic. And it was the same people in that room with me.
Speaker 5: It was the same obstetrician, the same midwife, my grief counselor was there, and no one was crying more than my husband. He was crying so much I thought they were going to put a nappy on him. So yeah, look that that song. Stevie spoke to racism in a way that I've never heard anyone. He'd wrapped it up in this almost joyous sound, and he made, you know, really difficult things to get your head around sort of okay. And he became, you know, my my artistic musical god, and still is to this day.
Speaker 2: That song I think was number one or it was in the high in the charts when I was born. So Mum and Dad always say, when it comes on, that's what he used to sing to you.
Speaker 4: In You, that's Cat's way of telling how she's younger than.
Speaker 2: Us, not that much.
Speaker 8: What about you, Grace?
Speaker 6: All right, there's a lot of tears going on at the moment, So get the tashoe. Wub your eyes because I'm going to go shallow because I'm a shadow person.
Speaker 7: Sorry.
Speaker 6: So, when when I was in primary school living in Hong Kong, my go to music was always David Bowie and David Bowie and David and also Duran Duran, So I love those boys. And when China Girl, I mean not that my English was very good then, but I can read like China Girl, and I thought, oh my god, David Bowie is singing about me, trying to girls.
Speaker 8: It's my child.
Speaker 6: So not that I understood everything at that age what the lyrics was about, but I just thought, my god, God, my idol is singing about my race. I'm seen. It was so crazy.
Speaker 8: That's not shallow, that's deep, is it?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: You're less shallow than you think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm way more show than I think. And the crazy story about that is I met him in New York one time. I mean to say, meat is a very strong word. I actually like, what's the word stalked? Stalked him? Actually, So I saw him in New York when I was there with my friends. I literally ran down the street to chase after him and your man and they had to run into this building no, and the security shut the door, and I was banging David. It's like a crazy person. They both looked at me like this and then turned their head and they looked away trying to like not to see me. But that's how much I love him. And the video he had a Chinese model in there, or this Chinese girl, and then they actually dated very briefly apparent, and there gave me a hope that when I grow older, I could be his girlfriend. Yeah, you know, because he's hot. He was very hot, very hot and very he's got really good value sable. Yeah, I love him.
Speaker 4: That was amazing.
Speaker 1: I think we all passed the homework and I'm sure they could be like dozens more.
Speaker 2: Or so many more, so many more. We could do this weekly. Actually, if you're listening, we would love to hear from you. What your song was and what the lyrics were that just got into your heart and your brain and they take you straight back now when you listen. So dm us at Unleashed Dot show on Instagram. Please, oh it's so good to unleash today kind of the talking sick.
Speaker 3: Please bring yes my homey. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I would like to preface this by saying, not every single holiday, okay, but I do have to say with a long weekend coming up, I actually dread holidays and long weekends. Why well, you know, I've been divorced now eleven years, and I've got to say I just don't enjoy them. Like since I've been divorced and a single parent, I really struggle with holidays.
Speaker 9: Oh I do, like like that'd some good ones, but yeah, they really love you.
Speaker 4: Are you're talking about care?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about like holidays and then just long weekends like anything that feels like time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, something should be happening.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I think you know, being the other side of the world from your family, then when you make a family, and then when you're not in that family anymore, it's it's really hard because you have to kind of hijack other people's Christmases, other people's Easters and long weekends, and that's that's exhausting. But if you don't set something up, you know, it's also really lonely.
Speaker 3: So it's a really crappy time.
Speaker 6: Our welcome to our Christmas any time. And it's not because I'm sorry for you. It's because we like hanging out in me. Okay, I don't want you to think that you're going to be hijacking other people's Christmas lunch or whatever. So I'm serious thank you's, and I am good value.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, we know, we know that, but it's hard.
Speaker 2: You know, Like Lewis was five when we separated, and you know, he's an avid sort of little surfer, you know, him and dad would always sif so if we went on holidays, like a beach holiday, I was the mom that never went in the water, and then he could like there was all of these things that you just you just go oh wow. And now he's seventeen, you know, I can't even get him to watch a movie with me, let alone and go on holiday. So yeah, I just actually prefer just a normal weekend. So that's my loser moment. Sh Let me share a sad moment.
Speaker 6: You know, I mean, I think that could happen to any of us, you know, a single mom, single parents, right, so I completely understand. I mean, who's to say that, you know, me and my husband going to be forever, something might happen. I'm my big sister. She died when she was thirty nine, out of the blue. From the day we found out she had cancer to the day she died, we only had three months. It was so crazy. I watched my brother in law like crumble, like to the point that he was not functioning because the kids were young. So this could happen to all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you guys have really thrown more more more sparks.
Speaker 7: On this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've like never really said that out loud, because, first of all, you put on a happy face, don't you, for holidays, and you don't want to sound like the person that's you know, yeah, yeah, miserable.
Speaker 3: So that's the first time I've shared that on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what else, what would someone not know about you that you're holding carrying every Mother's Day?
Speaker 5: My daughter died on Mother's Day. Oh so that's always fraught for me. Oh may so my daughter always says, Mamma, what do you want for Mother's Day? And I said, three hours in my bedroom.
Speaker 7: On my head. It's probably good to cry.
Speaker 5: And also, my dad died when I was young, so Christmases were a shit show too. And it wasn't the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, it was the seventh. It's when the novelty wore off, when it started to become normal to be, you know, just two or three of us. And that's when Brunna and I decided we were going to do orphans Christmases from that point on. So I think it is an opportunity to really just say this feels terrible and this doesn't work for me, and I'm going to try find a way to turn it into something else or reimagine what it can look like, because that's what we do. Grace spent Greek Easter with us this year with her family. You know, you just you just try to work it into something that's actually fun if you can. And I think there's a lot of people that don't like these holidays for a million reasons. Yeah, Kath we're all struggling with invisible stuff. But I think vulnerability, you know, is a really healthy thing. To put out there so you're not alone.
Speaker 1: Who know, Yeah, I know, I think it's it's I think, particularly as high functioning women, we try and always put a positive spin on everything, right, Like Cath, I would never have thought that before you said it and shared that, and thank you for sharing it. I think what people because I'm so high functioning. I think because I have loopers and they call it literally the invisible disease because.
Speaker 4: You just it's gotten.
Speaker 1: It's not symptomatic in the ways that other things are, but you're just always in pain. Like literally, there's not a day I wake up where I'm not in pain. Seriously, Yeah, like where I just like the first like I would say, sixty seconds of the day, just like my legs are so sore when I get out of bed that like you know, just like you just have to like get into it, and you know, I mean occasionally I would say to my husband, I'm having a bad day, but for the most part, I just don't talk about it because it's boring to me and also because I'm just like one of those people who's like, Okay, we'll get on with it, right or you know, try and solve it. But yeah, it's a hard thing I think to carry all the time. And I know a lot of people, and I'm sure a lot of our listeners have lots of stuff like chronic pain that is invisible to everyone that they really struggle with. And I really have so much empathy for, you know, people who deal with that, because it's hard, and I think you just you know, you have to go on.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm the kind of person what you see is what you get, So I don't really hide stuff like if I've got off nipple, I would.
Speaker 8: Tell you that race we didn't know about your sister.
Speaker 6: Yes, so I mean, but it's not a secret. I tell when I need to tell. And I've had a lot of deaths in my life that people I love and very close to me, and I can proudly say that at this age, I'm very content of what I have. Finally, whereas even a few years ago, I'll be like, why have I not got this? I haven't I got that job?
Speaker 7: Or why haven't got more money for this?
Speaker 6: Why are you not always asking why? And then I realized, you little piece of shit, you are so ungrateful and that is why it's not happening to you. And then when I'm my mindset change. I'm actually content of what I have now. Maybe it's not a lot to a lot of people, but for me, it is enough. And I think when you when I've reached that goal recently, even I feel like, okay, good things will happen, because once you're grateful, things will start changing, starts shifting. And I mean some of you might not know. I have a huge cat phobia.
Speaker 3: Huge.
Speaker 6: Here it's the only pussy. I'm not scared of this all of us and hello kitty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, so I have a.
Speaker 6: Huge cat phobia. If I go to your house, the first our ask, not you're a dress, is do you have a cat?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, there is it. I get so freaked out. I don't even know what I'm doing. This is how bad it is. I once grabbed a guy off the street in Hong Kong because three cats jump in front of me. I literally grabbed him and said walk with me, and we ran up in my five inch tairs. That's how scared I am.
Speaker 4: I empathized with that.
Speaker 6: I really do so more things you don't know about me. Can I please have the talking stick?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 7: Grace.
Speaker 6: So I have a confession. I had itchy skin for ages, and I thought, oh my god, and other fucking perimenopause symptoms. So I asked my husband Jason, can you check my neck and my shoulder because it's very itchy, check the rash. He goes, there's nothing. There's nothing. Every fucking day. There's nothing for four days, and then one morning I woke up it dawned on me. Oh my god, and I said, Jay, can you please check my hair? And it's always itchy when I lie down in bed.
Speaker 7: Oh, and he said, you have ni.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, we have so to our lovely listeners. I'm germophobic. So can you imagine what went down the next three days after that, I basically burn a whole down, boiled everything, bleach everything. And it came from my kid.
Speaker 4: I told you that.
Speaker 6: So then I send my husband Jason out to buy all the shampool that we can get. Only one hundred of them, so if you ever need anymore, just ask me. And we did the whole shebang. And then I thought, how the hell did he get like headlines because we were on school holiday. It's a few months ago. Then I thought, oh my god, is that day?
Speaker 7: I knew it.
Speaker 6: I knew it that day when we went on a tram and it was very crowded and we were so squashed with against people. So ever since then, I do not get on a crowded tram I know in Melbourne. I swear to God. It's from the I'm one hundred percent of what was a tram because because we don't, I'm trying to throw but I don't get close to people.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 6: I don't get close to people. I don't even shake hands. I do fistbum all the time. So that was the only day when I said to Jason it's two crowd, let's wait. He goes, no, No, let's get on. I knew its it. He should have listened to me.
Speaker 7: So yeah. So when you.
Speaker 6: Blame something on perimenopause, it's not always.
Speaker 8: Yeah I am scripch is it?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? Or bloody hell? What kind of show can you say that? You can have a laugh, you can have a cry, music can take you back and we can talk.
Speaker 7: About head license. Yes, great, what do you reckon? Wow?
Speaker 3: I think we're done, though, ladies, are we done?
Speaker 7: We're done? Wrap it up, We're so done.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you've got someone in your life that you think would like to hear this show.
Speaker 3: You know, we do the lulls, we do the highs, we do the lows, we.
Speaker 2: Did the tears today. If you think that might help her, send her the link. Send her the link and if you have any questions or any suggestions and lyrics send them in at Unleash Dot Show on our Instagram.
Speaker 7: Yes m us, thank you, what do we like to say?
Speaker 8: See Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, and stay unleashed.
Speaker 8: Bye.
Speaker 7: Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on