Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm im a mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleash, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. Now, if you take songs off the radio, crimped your hair, and remember Scott and Charlene's wedding like it was yesterday, you're in the right place. Okay, So who have we got on the sofa this week?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: I'm Mary Kustas, I'm an actress writer.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Sally Hitworth and I'm an author.
Speaker 5: I'm brunapep Andrea, I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 6: And I'm Cas Mahoney I'm a comedian.
Speaker 2: So wherever you are, unclinch you jaw, clinch your pelvic floor and get ready to unleash.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Who Okay, who's starting us off today? Okay?
Speaker 1: I just want to jump in because I wasn't here last week, but I did manage to have a little listen and I heard your story, Brunner, about how you had escaped from a health retreat.
Speaker 5: Yes, any health retreats.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if I was the only one to be completely up in arms about this, and I actually being the researcher that I am, I decided to do a little bit of sluthing and find out how common this is. And I actually found a place and a person that I could speak to. I'm not going to reveal their name or where they're from, but here's what I found out.
Speaker 3: I know Your Wellness Retreat is incredibly exclusive. I was wondering, how often do you get runners, like people who check in and see the itinerary and think I'd rather be at Westfield and they just hotfoot it out of there.
Speaker 7: Oh no, I guess don't run. The clientele that we do have here. It's a I guess I sort of deeply, profoundly intentional about their wellness journey. So they've invested both spiritually and financially, simply not an environment that what do you say they run from yourself?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say no, Yeah, no, I mean I get it, that makes sense.
Speaker 7: It's an experience of relaxation. So our guests they do always stay. We have quite a weight list. Actually, have you been to our website?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I have, And look, I would never do anything like that, but I do have a friend who she actually had booked herself in Not Your Retreat, and she then ended up dating a prison break after twenty four hours. You didn't even unpack her back.
Speaker 7: I would say that's wildly uncommon. The one time I can assure you that we've never had a guest want to leave, nor have they left, especially after twenty four hours. I mean, frankly, so this type of exclusive retreat, I'd say, that's unheard of.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, a pioneer, unheard of, Bruna.
Speaker 1: So I am thinking for the future, either A, don't book yourself into this kind of retreat, or B take me and I will be the prison warden and I will make sure that you stay.
Speaker 6: And I can tag team in the car park.
Speaker 1: We do break and get away care unleashed goes retreat No, and you know.
Speaker 5: Can I just defend myself for a second contract.
Speaker 6: But it is unheard off?
Speaker 5: Lovely that number one, she's she's a lying beep.
Speaker 6: She's lying.
Speaker 5: She's lying one hundred percent. I'm not the only one. And to my credit, I have publicly said I will go again with you guys or a bunch of girlfriends. I just don't want to fly solo. And she's lying. She's heard of a lying one I heard of.
Speaker 4: I did see Bruna like lose blood from her face. When she mentioned this, this is a spiritual and I just said that exactly. That's where you lost, Bruna.
Speaker 6: Whereas I want a number yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Unleashed retreat coming soon, guys.
Speaker 5: Speaking of wellness and health retreats. I've got some thoughts about book club. Okay, I'm sure many of you are members of book clubs. I'm not because I say fuck book club. I want boxing club. I want fight club.
Speaker 2: Fight club like proper fighting, or we got gloves on?
Speaker 6: Or is this just like with.
Speaker 5: Okay, please let me explain. Okay, So as some of you may or may not know, many of our listeners, I'm sure feel the same thing.
Speaker 4: I go on and off?
Speaker 5: How should I put an exercise and physical health?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: And when I say on and off, mostly off? Yeah okay. So like I will be devout with a trend or something or fitness, I'll be like not once a week, I'm like six seven times a week and then cut to two years later, or I've done nothing. Maybe I popped on the treadmill for a quick thirty like okay, Bruna, it's time. So I had this revelation recently. I was for a minute there, I was going to a place down the road, and I was they had boxing and CrossFit together, so a bit of pilates, a bit of cores, a bit of weights and you know, as we know, particularly over fifty, we need the weight training.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So recently I was like, I need some inspiration, a bit like book club. I need a bunch of girls. I've never really been a group fitness person. So I rallied the women that work with me, and I was like, full no, I rallied.
Speaker 6: That I did.
Speaker 5: I did pay. I I did offer to pay. I said, I will offer to pay for yours and they accept ten or eleven classes. They did accept, and seven in the morning we went down to the boxing class. And as soon as I did it, I remembered what I loved about it, because weirdly, I am quite fit for someone who has not maintained their fitness. But what I love about it, what I love it. I used to go to Soul Cycle in America. I like the dark space, I like the loud new ze, I like Clubby. Like I'm not I'm certainly not going to stop at that Bond Bay outdoor gym and push weights, right, but in the kind of privacy of a dark room and it's pumping music with a bunch of friends. I felt unbelievable. Oh guys, here's a fun fact. Nothing's more emotionally satisfying than boxing. Because whoever you're mad at, whatever you're frustrated about that day, to really let loose on that bag, it's pretty amazing. So I would like you to propose an unleashed boxing day. I'd like you to come with me.
Speaker 6: I'd be totally up for that. Absolutely. I love boxing totally. Okay, it's like the morning nightclub, you know.
Speaker 2: I want to be in a dark space with pumping dance music firsting in the morning, caffemated.
Speaker 6: Hell yeah, yeah, that's like clubbing.
Speaker 5: The problem for me is I'm a little bit you know, I become upsets. So it's not once and once it's not enough. So I'm like five six times a week. I've got my own gloves, I've got my own raps, I've got my own wraps. Them here today, like the actual wraps the boxes wear.
Speaker 1: Wait, how many classes have you done.
Speaker 5: In the last four weeks. I've done about twenty five classes. Oh wow, Yeah, yeah, that's InCred Yeah yeah. Do you pretend that you're rocky when you're doing it.
Speaker 4: Going up the.
Speaker 5: Stairs, Mary, That's a great question. I do. And like yesterday I was like bouncing around like I was rocky. Like I'm bouncing around on my feet like light footed, and I'm like, who am I rocky?
Speaker 2: So are you punching into like a bag or pads on someone's hands?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, total full boxing bag And.
Speaker 6: Who is the face on that bag? In your mind?
Speaker 5: Great question, Cath. It changes every day. So when I first started, i'd had a business deal go south a few years ago, and I'm still, how shall I say it, carrying a lot of anger towards the person that dismantled it. Someone really sabotaged, They sabotaged on a deal, and I do often imagine her face. I'm not gonna lie. I do when I'm punching, but it changes. It is kind of who I'm frustrated at at the time.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. I don't exercise yeah at all, and if I do, I'm very much a yoga person. Something where I can be lying down is ideal. And while I'm really happy for you that you found your box hit, I'm hopeful that you're not going to become one of those exercise enthusiasts I am.
Speaker 5: I am going to become I have I've become that person. And I going to say just to say, Mary is a bit like you, Like she walks or I'm going to walk around the park.
Speaker 4: And I do a lot of that.
Speaker 5: I get it, but like that's just not enough as you get older, it's not enough. So I might hate you both because like, how do you you know, stay taught? You're all taught you.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 5: And I got to say maybe, I mean, maybe I'm an optimist and idealist, but look, I just don't think it's too late. I want to look like Jal and I think I still can.
Speaker 1: We all can't believe that.
Speaker 6: I believe it.
Speaker 4: I believe it.
Speaker 6: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's make a commandment together.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say that I'm happy that you live in Sydney and I live in.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Sally. I'll be cheering you on from home from bed horizontally. Okay, question, We're always on our phones, We're always looking for answers in life in general. I think that's a big part of, you know, keeping curiosity alive. Just as a curious question, what was the last thing you googled. Oh, okay, have a look.
Speaker 1: I googled for hints for word all this morning.
Speaker 5: Right, sense?
Speaker 6: Is it cheating?
Speaker 1: Will I play with my dad and my daughter? And my dad is really competitive and he always gets it in three goes and it really annoys me. So I was just going to see if I could find out.
Speaker 5: So you're cheating?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's allowed, isn't it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: It's cheating. Fine, does your dad know that?
Speaker 4: You but you can?
Speaker 6: What is it exactly?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: My god, wheel of fortune, fortune, wheel afford.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking Adriana Exea Mary Coustas.
Speaker 2: Here is what I googled, Because you know how I see things in like license plates.
Speaker 6: I have like messages from the universe.
Speaker 2: I saw two to two this morning, so I wanted to know two to two angel meaning.
Speaker 1: Yes is very on brown for you.
Speaker 4: Do we know what the answer was?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Seeing two two two is a gentle, reassuring message from the universe to trust the process and find your equilibrium. It's about duality, partnership, and harmony.
Speaker 1: Will I say that about everything?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Thanks, sal I'm sure that's what they say about the sevens and the ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the threes are different. Don't shoot me down, Bruno.
Speaker 5: What Samuel's My Google often is taken up by googling TV shows and who's in them. So I'm a little bit obsessed with off campus right now. So the last thing I googled was the off Campus cast because I'm like, where did these kids come from? I mean most of them are kids, They're about twenty seven, twenty eight, and then I like to know what they've done if I like them, and the Australian kid who's in it, I was like, I need to know everything. So if I watch a show, I tend to do a deep dive of like everyone involved. And that show is like one of the you cannot even believe how successful that show is, bigger than Summer Return Pretty. It's insane and unfortunately I was forced to watch it twice with my daughter. Did you mind as I covered her thirteen year old eyes?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 5: You can't not like it. It's like this generation's Felicity. You know, we had Felicity and they have off Campus Amazing. I love, I love, I love knowing what the young people are watching. So that's what I googled.
Speaker 1: So were you googling it because you were thinking about casting them in something for you or yeah.
Speaker 5: If I like someone or if I see a new face, I'm always like, oh, that could be interesting.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm always doing a lot of things at once. So yeah, there's always a slight thing in the back of my mind and I always want to cast people my daughter likes, well, that's good, become cool exactly. Yeah. My whole goal is like, how do I put Sabrina Carpenter in something in life? That's my entire goal with my business.
Speaker 6: You've said it to the universe, to.
Speaker 3: You you you.
Speaker 5: Thanks ladies, thank you.
Speaker 4: I've got to confess something. Yeah, I google. I do exactly that, Bruna. I always if I discover someone that I've never seen before on screen, I want to know everything about them that I do too. But what I did discover, which I did not know, was I accidentally was witnessed to someone I knew when they were looking at their iPad and I accidentally saw the last thing that they'd go. This was someone married, et cetera. And I saw they were trying to show me something and they had to go. They accidentally went back instead of forward, and I saw erotic gay porn.
Speaker 6: I love that stuff.
Speaker 4: No, that was a man anyway. I don't want to say more than my husband. No hilarious, yeah, George, no anyway. But I suspect it anyway, and it was I suspected years earlier and it was confirmed. Okay, So sometimes you've got to be really careful. I think when you're looking over somebody's shoulder. I wasn't doing it like in a pervy way. They were just trying to show me something. And then they showed me more. But I pretended like I didn't see it, and they think I didn't see it.
Speaker 6: Oh, you have to pretend.
Speaker 4: And I know that they don't listen to this.
Speaker 6: It is George hilarious.
Speaker 1: Hey, ladies, I've been thinking about this. It was my birthday recently.
Speaker 4: Sally haveworth happy happy birthday. Still young the youngest years and we know we know.
Speaker 5: You're younger, Sally will always be the youngest on this podcast.
Speaker 6: Quite wow. Thanks sal.
Speaker 1: But I wrote something on Facebook and Instagram and the response really surprised me because it was so enormous. It was about how at forty six I am happy and how I wish I could turn back the clock to when I was forty three and my marriage was falling apart, and you know, the future looked incredibly bleak, and I wish I could go back and tell them that this was what life was going to be like. And the things that I talked about as being really special on that day were that I had woken up in the morning and played wordle with Clementine, which is our morning tradition. She's really good at it. And then if we can't get it right, we usually ring my mum and dad and they will feel.
Speaker 6: It, and they've already done it.
Speaker 1: Often we've cheated, obviously, siRNA has just pointed out. And I then had plans to go out for dinner with my new partner and his son and my kids, and they all get along so well, and we've got this tradition that they have to make the world's crappest card, and I go around and I read all the crap cards and we declare a winner. And so there are all these little kind of not particularly special things but such special things that kind of mark my birthday now, and how they are the real joys now that I never would have thought would be a joy three years ago. Yeah, the surprising thing to me is that it's not the big things that bring me the joy. It's not the getting on the New York Times bestseller list, or the film deals or the big moments in my life, although they are wonderful. The real joys are those little moments playing word with my daughter or going out for pizza, these fun traditions with the kids. And just got me thinking about tiny joys or glimmers as they're called, and the things that really make our life wonderful. Do you guys have little things like that, little traditions that you that you do the little joys of your lives or is it the bigger things.
Speaker 2: Now you spot on because you do think when I get the house, or when I get the husband, or when I get the deal, or when I get that car, when I lose three kilos, and they're not the things at all. I know that this is not up everyone's alley, but I do like a gratitude list every morning, only it's only like three or four things, Or send it to a friend overseas she sends me hers, and it's a really lovely way to like reset your morning because at the moment I'm very pary waking up at three in the morning like this morning, worried about all of the rubbish in the world.
Speaker 6: Where does it go? Where does it go?
Speaker 2: Never worried about that before, and so I need that reset in the morning to do that. But some of the little things that bring me joy are my parents live on the other side of the world, and you know they're late seventies now, Anna Pete.
Speaker 6: Making them laugh, like.
Speaker 2: We speak pretty much every day, and to make my mum and dad laugh just brings me so much joy. And also this sounds really daggy, but I think it's quite gen x. Putting on songs I love, and workshopping outfits and dancing in front of the mirror alone, like getting a banger on.
Speaker 6: And then going, oh my god, I never thought about.
Speaker 2: This dress with those shoes and the scuff and like, it's just pure joy.
Speaker 6: I am single currently.
Speaker 5: Apparently apparently between husbands. I mean, it's so funny that you talked about this, and I did read your piece on Facebook and I was very moved by it, and I could see that other people were too, And Mary and I talk about this a lot. In fact, we were talking about this this morning, that the things that bring us most happiness are kind of available to everyone, right, Like I love every day I drive past the ocean and I look at it and I go, oh my god, this is available to everyone. But it brings me so much joy. And it is the little it's the tiny things for me too. And I've had a lot of high highs. I think we all have had those big career highs. But the thing that makes me laugh, like I'll have something make me laugh and I will laugh about it for five years. Yeah, I'm not even kidding, and I will never forget. I saw a couple was there ape of years ago, but he was also someone who dealt with a lot of people who were very close to death, and he said, trust me, no one is ever thinking about like the houses they didn't have, the things they didn't have. Ever at the end of their life. They only thinking about their interactions with the people that they love. And so that I think that tiny joy thing and all those core memories that you have, I feel exactly the same way. It's all that. It's like playing cards with friends. It's it's you know, funny story shared over a meal. It's just stupid things we all do. And it is it really is the stuff. I mean, I don't want to, you know, sound too earnest, but it's the stuff that's free.
Speaker 6: It is. It is a free style. It's so true.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mary, what about you?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Sally started talking and I immediately wanted to burst into tears. Just just just the way we choreograph our lives every day is really super important. And if you can find some joy in these little things, then you're covered. I really do think that you're equipped to handle the bigger things because you've always got those free, fundamental things to lean back on. Obviously, I had a long journey to motherhood, and I you know, during those endless IVF attempts, I would fantasize about what I wanted, not only the child, but the things that I would do with that child. And I conceived my child in Greece, in Athens, and so obviously Greece has a huge place in my heart. And we took our daughter there for the first time at five and a half months, and we've been going back every year since. And we're big card players and game players in our family, and my daughter and I because we get a bit little earlier than my husband. Will sit near the water and we'll play cards. I've got plastic Uno cards. I've got plastic playing cards. On every beach we've been on, At every little cafe that we've sat at for years, we played cards for breakfast. She has a nice chocolate, I have a coffee, and it's just those simple little rituals. Will walk there from where, you know, we'll go to our favorite swimming spot and we'll do that. We you know, it's a huge part of my love of Greece and my love of my daughter is that we can share that little playful stuff together, all those tiny little things, and we still do a lot of that, even at like she's going to be thirteen this year, we're still doing that stuff and I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could not agree more.
Speaker 4: Look, I had many many years where things weren't working out, you know, where my biggest dream was so far away from me. But I found that if I could just focus on something small every day, it made a huge difference to me. Like some days I'd wake up and I'd be so low and I'd think I'm just going to grab a coffee, and then someone would put a funny you know, how they do those little coffee cream illustrations. And I had this barista that lived close by at a cafe. He worked there every day and he would do big boobs and nipple sticking out for me or something funny or you know, like, you've got to find those small little things that start, you know, giving you hope and meaning, I think every day. Otherwise life can get very very hard, especially when you're so far away from where you want to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like Sue said, you know, a few years ago when your marriage ended, you couldn't imagine being this happy.
Speaker 6: And you do get through it, don't you. You do?
Speaker 1: And you actually you get through it by sort of changing your your vision a little bit and being able to see the little tiny moments within all of the difficult stuff. And actually, during that really hard time, some of the weirdly most beautiful moments I've had were one little I'd be walking the dog and there would be a beautiful sunset or something, and I'd force my mind to go, this is beautiful. Like everything else is bad, but this is one beautiful thing. And also I used to send it to someone at the end of the day, like you do with your gratitude list and training your mind to look for that one good thing, almost like you're kind of on a treasure hunt for a joy can sometimes be the thing that can turn you around.
Speaker 5: If yeh's so funny. I was listening to Mel Robbins had an interesting guest. I can't remember her name. She was a big Wall Street gun. This woman, she was amazing. I loved hearing her talk about you know how to win basically. And then this woman called in. They played someone who called in, and she said, I've had to I'm exhausted. I've had to reinvent myself so many times. I always do it, and I've always been optimistic, but I just feel like completely depleted and I just can't do it again. And the woman gave the best advice, which is kind of speaks to this, which is just like, well it's not today, Like just give yourself grace, right. I love this kind of idea of giving yourself grace and.
Speaker 1: If it's not today, maybe it's tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Exactly a few years ago, I was listening to doctor Tim Sharp from the Happiness Institute, and I'll never forget what he said, brings people the most happiness and it's not what we think. It's a successful bowel movement on the time with him, Yeah, he said that literally makes us feel so happy because we're released literally of shit in this case eight hours of good sleep yep, just simple physical things that we're going through. And this is what menopause taught me, you know, because it hit me really hard psychologically. Is I wasn't depressed. I was depleted, and we sometimes physically in a space that's holding us back from feeling good about things and ourselves and how we view the world. So I think there's some answers there.
Speaker 6: But it's like Bruno said, most of these joys actually free.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling really really flat and nothing is working. Got a beautiful partner where I live, and I just go and sit on the bench and watch.
Speaker 6: The dogs like people with their dogs. So I don't have it.
Speaker 2: I'd love a dog, I don't have one, and you just you can't be sad. Then I do, like the dog voices in my head, different voice, but that's free and you cannot be miserable.
Speaker 6: But it's very difficult to not lift your kind of mood.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Ricky Gervase talks about this a lot, obviously, he's got a huge love of dogs. Now here's an edgy comic known worldwide for his you know, view of religion versus science and you know, questions everything. One of those great public figures that is like literally makes comedy out of questioning things that we take for granted. He said, there is nothing greater because he's a huge animal advocate. Then patting a million dogs in the morning when he walks with his partner, he said, that is just an antidepressant for me. I just focus on this, these these hairy, joyful cre that just want a pat to be happy, and you know, sometimes it just takes that.
Speaker 1: There's a project called Big Joy that is being run through the University of California by the Greater Good Science Center, and it's a program where anyone can take part and it requires a time commitment of seven minutes a day for seven days, and it has activities that studies suggest are likely to increase positive emotions. And the whole point of it it is for us to work out what makes us feel good and what doesn't. And it's had a huge response. So there's a lot of science behind this idea of micro joys, understanding what brings us joy and looking for them every day.
Speaker 5: And that's an honest Sally. That's an online thing that people can access.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can just google the Big Joy Project and there have been almost half a million acts of micro joy.
Speaker 6: I love that. Wow.
Speaker 2: And it's free and it's free and it's joyful. Less than an hour we all need to do seven days. Okay, No, it's seven minutes in seven days. It's seven hour.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, see you guys, I did that. It's I got it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: Your maths gives me joy me too, all right.
Speaker 5: Gang.
Speaker 2: So Lewis, my beautiful son, is finally starting to drive. He turned seventeen in March. I would have chewed my mum and dad's arm off to get me driving like the day after I turned seventeen, but lose a bit more kind of you know, slow and steady on how he's rolling anyway. So we've got a lovely driving instructor called Dom, who's you know, got the car. He's got the air can, he's got the automatic. You know, he's got the plush in he is And as I saw Lewis kind of take off.
Speaker 6: Is that the right phrase? For the first time?
Speaker 2: It took me back to me learning to drive, because it was a lot different to Don with the electric steering for us kef.
Speaker 1: And we didn't take off, we bunny hopped down.
Speaker 2: It was a lot. I grew up in South Wales. I'm not Welsh, I'm English. So in South Wales there is a name. It's not very popular anywhe else in Mill but Dilwin is quite a Welsh name. So my driving instructor was called Dilwin deal I l w w y n And he really loved his name because he had a personalized number plate that said dill one hundred. So dil would get out the front seat, move to the passenger seat which had like the double the pedals side, I get.
Speaker 6: In the front. This was before electric power steering. Can you remember how old it was to drive? And then you had the choke, the clutch, the biting point.
Speaker 5: We had to learn the biting point.
Speaker 6: Remember the biting It was like had and he'll be like. But the best and worst of Dilwin was the fact that he traveled from his name. Apart from his name.
Speaker 2: He traveled side saddle with a wooden ruler on his lap. So every time I did something, none or I didn't listen to what he did. He whacked me on the legs with the wooden ruler.
Speaker 4: I don't like Dilwin and his name.
Speaker 2: I know you, but I think that would be illegal in most countries. He would slap you on the legs. Was he midd laid like he was with gray haird He wasn't hot deal, but yeah, he would hit your deal was creepy. I have to say though, I was first cab off the rank. Then my brother James, then my sister Sarah, all went through with Dilwin, and the three of us all passed first time.
Speaker 6: I think it was the.
Speaker 4: Fear, yes of the ruler.
Speaker 2: Yes, the fear of the ruler. So I thought today's blastomer past. When we go back in time, ladies should be driving lessons.
Speaker 6: Who remembers that?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean I've spoken about my parallel parking because you know, I've been using a Mary thank you very average, a driving instructor. But he did teach me how to parallel park. But of course you pay for your driving lessons from a professional, and then you lean on people, you know, sometimes family members to clock up your hours. Right, So my brother was that person for me. It was not good for our relationship at all. I remember in the middle of a very busy road him yelling at me, and I pulled over and I got out of the car and I screamed else for fucking learner.
Speaker 5: Because of how.
Speaker 4: Ruler.
Speaker 6: He did not have a ruler.
Speaker 4: But if I'd had a bloody mallet, I would have given him for what five At that point really broke.
Speaker 5: I don't think family should people to drive. That's my theory.
Speaker 4: Mary, Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: No. Well, I don't really remember my driving lessons that well. What I do remember is my driving test. And I don't know if you guys know this about me, but I'm an extremely cautious person, and I know it doesn't really fit with the rest of my personality. But I was a very slow driver, and I took my driving lessons very seriously, and so when it got to the test, I really wanted to make sure that I passed and I was doing everything right. The examiner pulled me over during the test and said, if you keep going this slow, I'm going to have to fail you.
Speaker 5: Prop Yes, I mean it's a thing to drive too slow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, My memories are not too much about lessons although I do remember going for my test and failing because my leg was shaking so much. Oh yeah, I was terrible with that because it because I was nervous. But my memories, and in fact, I was reminded because I was watching for the seventy fifth time Sex and the City the other day, and do you remember the episode Cary goes to LA and she has to drive stick and there's a lot of hills. So I started going to Los Angeles when I was really young, and so I would flit and flot for both sides of the road, right, which is like no small thing. So my trick was I'd put a little mark on my right hand, which just reminds you what side of the road you're supposed to be on. It's like a visual cue. But I was in love with the idea of driving along Sunset Boulevard in a convertible, so I would hire these Mustang convertibles, which was stick, and I just had so many memories. I think of the first time I took it back after like ten minutes, a bit like carry and Sex and the City. And the second time I was on a hill and I was like, oh no, I'm going to roll back and kill the person behind me. But to them, my memories of driving are all kind of associated with like this fantasy of driving with the hood down and down Sunset Boulevard in California Cobine. And I'm not driven stick in years, but I've got to tell you I still now, to this day, thirty years later, I drive down Sunset and I have that same feeling. You're like, oh my god, I'm in Outwood, I'm on Sunset Boulevard, but I won't drive stick all convertible again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, stick, baby, that's so hot. We call it manual.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I've spent i don't know, married twenty five years in America, So in America we call it sticks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you've got still the most Aussie accent I've ever heard. So stick that.
Speaker 1: Stop giving a stick about a stick.
Speaker 5: I mean, our kids may not learn to drive it. You're going to be driving soon, guys, it's coming. What Dylwind a job?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dad forced my mom to get a license in the early seventies. You know, it's very forward thinking and and he's like, you're going to learn how to drive, and you're going to be able to take yourself anywhere you need to go and I don't want door now. But she got a driver's license.
Speaker 1: Did she have driving lessons?
Speaker 4: She had driving lessons. She had many driving lessons, and she got her driver's license. I think it was nineteen seventy one or seventy two now. She drove three times with all of us in the car during those years, three times only three times stacked. Yeah, And so we retired her, but she kept renewing her driver's license right because she always she didn't want to have to go for it again should she need it one day. Well, then my dad died many years later, and she was in deep mourning and trapped at home because my brother was working and I was touring a lot at the time with various stage shows. So we bought her a car and we put it in the driveway and we said, you're going to have to learn how to drive again, and she said, I can't do it now. And then we got us some lessons, and she's never been out of the car since. You say, I think we're running low on milk, I'll log get it.
Speaker 5: I'll gog get it with my car.
Speaker 4: And she goes everywhere. And I remember when my daughter was born, she was up in Sydney with me because my mum lives in Melbourne. And for about two or three years, on and off I had here say to her girlfriends on the landline because she's very into landlines. I mish my car anymore. Oh no, she drives.
Speaker 1: Because Grace she was following her in her car.
Speaker 4: She saw her near my brother's cafe. Yes, she's driving everywhere.
Speaker 6: She drives faster than New Sally. Hepworth not hard. Okay.
Speaker 2: There is nothing better than solving problems, and it's even better when there are other people's problems the best. We love doing this segment, don't we It's time for other people's problems. This is where you send us your dilemmas, your questions, your life's difficulties, and we offer absolutely terrible advice. This week's problem comes from someone who calls herself Hotel Mum.
Speaker 10: Hi Alicia's I'm fifty five divorced and I finally thought I had my life back then. My twenty eight year old son slunk back home after a bad breakup for a few weeks.
Speaker 5: That was two years ago.
Speaker 10: He's got a great corporate job and he's generally saving for a deposit. Except saving apparently means buying forty dollars Wago steaks and boutique beer while treating my house like a hotel. The absolute breaking point, I came home early and found him and a girl I'd never met using my on suite, not his bathroom mine. When I said something, he actually suggested I was tense and needed to do some breath work. I love him, he's my son, but I want my house back. I want to walk into the kitchen without putting a bra on. First help, what do I do?
Speaker 4: Oh? I love that he used the en suite. I hope that's outrageous.
Speaker 1: Was he pretending that it was his house and it was the mark he was?
Speaker 4: Oh, must have been so embarrassing when his mother walked in.
Speaker 1: What do you think Brune's I mean, I'm I'm outraged.
Speaker 5: I'm outraged by the on swite thing. Can you imagine? I mean, I do think it's funny. That's the whole moving back to high and saving money. We're right, we're kind of we know people yes where you know the cost of living is high, so people are coming back home to live. I want my kids to come back home, so I fully encourage it. They haven't left yet.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 5: I really hope they come home.
Speaker 1: I've got some advice for the listener. You can do what my parents did, and that was my parents were very pro travel. They traveled a lot themselves. So each of my brothers, who were twins and I all got a ticket overseas for our twenty first birthday, So off we went. And then because there's only eighteen months between us, we all came home at the same time and moved back into the family home. Six weeks later, my dad put the house up for sale. They moved into a one bedroom apartment sally it's to find a new place to live. And at the same time they bought a beach house which had plenty of room for all of us, but not so so we could come and visit, but we couldn't move in to live. And it's actually worked out really well.
Speaker 5: Do any of you go live in the beach house.
Speaker 6: No, we all had to.
Speaker 1: We were forced to find somewhere to live, and we traveled and we had lived alone, and we had to make it on our own, and it was actually a really good thing. And taking into account, you know, things are hard, and there's one thing to move in home to save money. But you can't be disrespecting that he's an adult, he's earning money. That's not okay. I think the mom has to.
Speaker 5: Put some nice Can I tell you there's a I think I feel like I've told some people this because I read an article. This must have been three years ago now, and this is a real story. An Italian mother took her to forty something year old sons to court because they would not move out. Wow, and that she was just fucking she'd had jack of it, like she was like supporting them. They were in their forties and they just wouldn't move out. So she took them to court.
Speaker 6: But how can they she take them to court?
Speaker 1: Like, can't she just say leave if?
Speaker 5: Apparently she tried, they wouldn't leave, so she took them to court.
Speaker 6: Wow did she win on fact? I think she won?
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's another option for our yea.
Speaker 4: I remember, you know, like being European, you know, parents just want you there forever. Obviously not Italian mum, obviously not where the really old.
Speaker 1: Cho parents don't feel that way.
Speaker 4: But I remember growing up, our neighbors started charging their children board.
Speaker 6: Yes, we lived in a.
Speaker 4: Very Anglo suburb. And I think that motivated them thinking, well, if I'm paying my mom and i'm maybe I'll just go and pay rent and not have her nagging me and you know, questioning everything I do and being able to have sex anytime I want in the house that I'm renting, as opposed to waiting for my mom to leave the house for me to have sex, possibly in her bedroom if they're using the en suite.
Speaker 10: Ye.
Speaker 2: Look, if I lived closer to my parents who live in the Cotswolds, I would probably move back in with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my god, I'm so happy on my grown house and stay at my mom's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a dream. It's a dream.
Speaker 4: But living with someone going back to that, especially if you have lived away from home, that's when it starts, when it starts becoming too permanent. I think it's putting pressure on by.
Speaker 6: Change the logs.
Speaker 2: All right, So our official advice Hotel Mum is you have three options, sell the house, charge.
Speaker 6: In board or number three, which I think we all like taking to court. Yeah, happy to help.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we are at the end of another fabulous episode.
Speaker 6: Ladies.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, and for everyone listening. If this episode has made you laugh, made you think, made you cry.
Speaker 6: Actually, we weren't very emotional this week. Tears this week.
Speaker 2: Share the episode and follow us on Apple And a big shout out to Deb who reached out to say.
Speaker 6: That Unleashed makes her week. So thank you. Deb.
Speaker 2: Please never stop sending us your messages. Read them all and we absolutely love them, don't we, Lady, We please.
Speaker 6: Absolutely love them.
Speaker 2: You can dm us on Instagram anytime you want an Unleashed dot show.
Speaker 6: And, as we like to say, ladies, see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, stay unleashed.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on