Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 3: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mamma Mia. Welcome to The Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick and I'm m Vernon And on today's show, we are talking about Katie Perry's new rebrand, her new music video. There has been an avalanche.
Speaker 4: I think is the right way. That is a correct word of.
Speaker 3: Criticism about this, and we're going to delve into what's really happening, because I don't think it's as simple as she's just released a bad song.
Speaker 4: There's more to it.
Speaker 5: But first, but first, Sharon Stone posted a photo of herself on Instagram that's gone absolutely viral. She's wearing lingerie sitting like cross legged on a chair as a callback to her iconic scene in Basic Instinct, where she's wearing kind of like a white mini dress sitting in the same position being interrogated by all of these men. I personally haven't seen Basic Instinct, but it's on your list, it's on my list. But I have seen that scene.
Speaker 3: I would say one of the most famous movie scenes of all time. It's one of those movie scenes that is so strong that you can just see the even just the crop of her head and shoulders in the white dress and the way her eyes are looking in that scene, and you know exactly what movie and what iconic moment it's alluding to, Like what It's that powerful that just from a movie still you can tell what's happening.
Speaker 5: Especially because all the men are just sweating and she's just so chick and she can't yeah, and she's being interrogated and she slowly closes her legs and then puts her other leg over and there's a flash.
Speaker 3: And for everyone who wants to go and stop, like, watch that part of the movie and pause it. You can't really really see. It's like a little flash of skin.
Speaker 5: It's clear that she's not wearing any underwear. Yes, And what I didn't know when I was reading about this post that she did recently was that she actually claimed that she was tricked into not wearing any underwear because she was wearing white underwear and they were saying that it was reflecting off the lights, so she had to take her underwear off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that didn't come out until I think it was twenty twenty one where she released her memoir The Beauty of Living Twice, and that was one of the stories that was in it, because up until then everyone thought that she was very kind of in on the gimmick of doing that and what was happening. And then in the book she says, yeah, she's wearing underwear, and they kept saying, like, oh, can we just get one shot with the underwear off because it's reflecting the light and we're getting this like weird flash every time the camera goes, but I promise you we won't see anything. So she did it, and then that's the take that was in the movie, and the filmmakers have said that's not true and kind of refuted what she was saying. But she's really stuck to that story over the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: I love how she's stuck to that story, but like, hasn't let that take over the entire storyline of that soh yeah. Like the fact that she's recreated this position so many times and now she's in the sixties and she still looks so amazing, and the fact that she's just like given herself back the narrative I think is really cool.
Speaker 1: Nana Nana.
Speaker 5: So when I first heard the song, I was like, Okay, I understand. It's obviously very satire. It feels very poignant on like what feminism is. It's pretty much just talking about feminism as being feminism.
Speaker 4: I picture the song because I quite like the chorus. It's very damn I.
Speaker 3: Kind of like it too. It took me a while. I think the magic of pop songs is that their repetitiveness. A lot of the time, if you hear a song on the radio, like old school how we used to hear on the radio like millions of times a day, and it weaves its way into your head and that's why you start to like it. And I've got to say, listen to this song so many times because I actually heard it for the rest of the world, not to you did hear before this, Not to you know, make anyone jealous, But yes. I went into Universal Music Offices, very close to Mummea offices actually, for a little pre listening party before the song came out. And I listened to it in a room with a bunch of people and champagne and stuff.
Speaker 4: And people like bopping along.
Speaker 3: And my first thought listening to it is it sounds like a song that would play at the beginning of like an early two thousands rom com in terms.
Speaker 5: Of what the exact same note literally mine was like, so the rom com start, Yeah, she breaks up with her terrible toxic.
Speaker 4: A beautiful apartment in New York and she put five.
Speaker 5: Years and then she's like walking on the street and her friends are there and like.
Speaker 3: And she's whipping off her sunglasses and going into her like publishing job in New York where she makes it so.
Speaker 5: Exactly we need, we need someone to make a rom commented Star Kate Hudson.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Apart from that, like, it also sounds kind of very eighties and but I can also understand the criticism of it that people think it sounds a bit manufactured.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I think that's what the original criticism was for the song when it came out, and she kind of doubled down with the music videos, like kind of showing that it very much is satire. So before we go into like all the commentary behind the music video, I just want to take you through some of the symbolism.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, within it.
Speaker 5: I did a big investigative research piece to this. So it starts off with a construction site. There's a sign that says men at work and then they write wo, so women at work. They then do the iconic scene of lunch atop a skyscraper that everyone does.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, that was an image that came out that became this very famous image of these men on a big construction being raised above New York having lunch and it looks so dangerous and exciting, and it came out it was like a setup.
Speaker 4: Shot as promotion for the sky scrape. Yeah, but it works. It worked.
Speaker 5: She cause plays as Josie the Riveter, which is like the iconic women's World War two. Women can do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you've seen that picture around, women can do anything where she's like making the fear and head Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's drinking whiskey for women.
Speaker 1: I liked that.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really funny because it's a really interesting nod to all these products that are for women, like a women's razor or a women's cup or a women's anything, and then you put a little bit of pink on it and you have to pay more money for it. So I actually thought that was because you know that women's whiskey is more expensive.
Speaker 5: And then there's like a lot of beauty products featured. She has like sex toys, she's got like ger she's got like little led face masks. We also did a piece on Mamma Mia called the Hidden Details you might have Missed in Katie Perry's music video, and I couldn't read it without laughing. It's so funny. I want to read you a little bit. It said, from hammering to dancing to completing an extensive routine. The first version of Katie we see in the music video has a lot going on. When an enormous anvil inexplicably drops on the construction site version of Katie, she's reborn down on the streets now wearing a white bikini and bionic legs.
Speaker 3: I mean that storytelling.
Speaker 4: It is storytelling.
Speaker 5: So she kind of becomes like this bionic woman. She's seen like with the petrol pump in her thigh, like as she's refueling herself, which I thought was very interesting. Tricia Petus, who's a famous YouTuber, is suddenly there.
Speaker 4: She's pulling a truck on by back. Wait.
Speaker 3: Tricia Peters is the one who thought the queen was going to be reincarnated as her daughter.
Speaker 5: No She's the one who we thought the queen was gonna be a recinded in her daughter, and then it happened.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry for that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to mess up history.
Speaker 5: There's also this other line that I have to read because it's so funny. In the final scenes, Katie joins an influencer to film a TikTok dance before stealing her ring light and jumping on a helicopter. As the influencer yells who are you to the singer, she lifts the ring light, shaped like a gender symbol for female, into the air and screams, I am Katy Perry.
Speaker 4: That's factually correct.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna say I thought it was so good, Like I love the music video. Not everyone did, in fact, most people didn't, But I just thought it was the funniest way to kind of show how feminism has developed into this big thing in modern day that now everyone's kind of jumping on a bandwagon forgetting the real meaning behind it.
Speaker 3: I didn't completely understand what she was trying to say there, and I mean I don't think it was anything when there was meant to be a hidden secret. It was all very kind of heavy handed in terms of like this is what a woman is and feminism gets pulled away and so but I just think with Katy Perry, sometimes satire isn't where she excels. She's kind of almost better doing that when she forges her own path and does that more flippant and frothy, almost animation, unrealistic, very stylized art form, which I think a lot of people are saying, like, oh, she was never that popular, she's now that good, and like she was, she was one of the top selling female artists in the world for a very long time, and she had a very unique look about everything she did. And I think the fact that she just sold out a whole bunch of Las Vegas residencies with Katy Perry's World, like her show, and that her signature is very telling, and so I feel like she tried to tap into that here and it just maybe slightly missed the mark a little bit. But the foundation she was building on is there, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: There were a lot of brutal headlines far from nice. I want to read some out. We don't want to live in Katy Perry's women's world. A fail feminist anthem is the feminism in the room with us. Katy Perry just flopped so hard can she cover?
Speaker 4: And she recovered.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what we're gonna get into next, because obviously she's got a new album coming, there's a lot more coming from her, and that's what everyone's asking is, we're too from here.
Speaker 2: You go, girl, you were born to shine, and we're kind of just having fun being a bit sarcastic with it. It's very slapstick and very on the nose, and with this set, it's like, oh, we're like, we're not about the mail gates, but.
Speaker 1: We really are about the male gaze, and.
Speaker 2: We're really overplaying it and on the nose.
Speaker 3: I think one of the reasons why people have responded so negatively to Katie Perry's new song, apart from the fact that a lot of music critics just genuinely didn't like the material and that's their job to write their thoughts and we don't want to take that away and have them hunted down like Taylor Swift fans too, like you've still got to have that musical journalism. But I think there was so much build up to it and so much pipe around, like Katie peer, he's coming back and she's got this rebrand, and that is a good thing in many ways, but I think a lot of people also love to see a very famous woman fail and have a very public misstep, and I think a lot of it was linked to that in a way, because she finished up on American Idol, where she'd been a judge for a long time, and then after Las Vegas, there was like the safety of that residency of like you know, you only saw it if you had a ticket, and fans really loved it, and because she hadn't had a hit song for a long time and had been like many years since she released her last album, and she was also really hyping like this is a new sound, this is a new meat. And one of the things I thought was really interesting was that she had a very fashion makeover leading into launching this song, and she was at a lot of different events in these like really amazing less pop princess, like no big white boots and sparkly dress and no ice cream boobs or high ponytails or anything like that. It was much sleeker, much more fashionable. She actually has a young Australian stylist called Taddiana Waterford, who's done all of her fashion makeover and styles her. And I think even when she was like events of like Vogue World and stuff, people were talking about how amazing she looked. And she also had all the lyrics to Women's World on a cage going in and people were also just talking about how amazing she looked. And I've got to say, like her body does look a bit different in terms of like she looks like slightly smaller. It's that whole thing of like a woman can have a big makeover as long as she looks really ripped as well doing it. And so I think she was trying to tick every box of like this is what I know people like. They like a woman's body to look different, they like her to start dressing more high fashion, they like her to talk about now I'm a mother, now I'm this. Like she was doing everything right, but it's like all those things together put people offside before they even heard the song.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and she I remember her on TikTok falling into that trope of is she fashionable or is she just skinny?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think that, I mean she's always been super skinny. We're talking in these ridiculous entertainment things that we have for women at the moment around bodies and stuff which has just gone off the rails, and she can't be held responsible for that.
Speaker 5: But she also, like a lot of other artists like Taylor Swift, like does a full makeover rebrand for every album you put out. And I think I didn't read too much into it because I just saw it as like another era of Katy Perry, which is why I really enjoyed the ending of that music video where she was like, I'm Katy Perry, because she has talked about how this music in particular is the most.
Speaker 3: Like her, yes, and because her real name is what Catherine Hudson, Tate Hudson, So she's like just referring that I am Katy Perry right now, but in real life, I am had Friend Hudson. I think the other thing that people have really called out, and this is like a serious thing that I think deserves a lot of attention, is that in this new album there's a lot of collaboration with Doctor Luke, who's an old collaborator of hers and actually worked on a lot of her big hits in the past. They haven't worked together for a while, but they've come back together for this new album. And why people are upset about that is that with doctor Luke. In twenty fourteen, Kesher sued him for sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, and emotional abuse. Doctor Luke always denied the claims, and then he counter seed Kesha for defamation, alleging that Kesher, her mother, and her management had fabricated all of these claims to get out of a record contract with him that she had previously signed. This went on for a long time, and Kesha has spoken about why it sort of kept her for releasing music for a long time. And then in twenty sixteen a judge dismissed all of Kesh's claims. Kesher also made allegations that doctor Luke had raped Katy Perry, which Katy Perry and doctor Luke have always denied, and then in twenty twenty a judge rule that Kesher had made defamatory comments by saying that, and so in twenty twenty three, Luke and Kesher settled this defamation claim. So very lot yeah, so a lot of really upsetting facts and allegations in there. It should also be said that like doctor Luke, has never been convictive of anything, but across the music industry, there have been a lot of allegations from a lot of different people, and there's this thought that people don't across the industry, particularly women, don't want to work with him anymore. So when Katy Perry released a feminist anthem called Woman's World and she was a collaborator with this man who had had these accusations against him, a lot of people thought that those two things shouldn't go together and really judged her for that.
Speaker 5: Which is a fair criticism. And I'm surprised that she hasn't commented on that in particular because I'm also surprised why she chose him in the first place, Like she's Katy Perry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, not just sort of defending her at all. I think that that sort of this conversation is an important one to have. I just think we don't know in terms of like did she still have a contract with him, Like you know, sometimes you sign a certain amount of albums you have to do with someone. Also, a lot of her most popular songs have been in collaboration with him. So if you're wanting to have this kind of big comeback, you maybe sometimes would defer to the person you'd worked with in the past. So I just think it's very laated.
Speaker 5: I don't think it would have been as big of a deal if the album was about something else than feminism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but because it is, it just feels a bit gross.
Speaker 3: I don't think it would have been a big of a deal for people if people liked the song. I know that sounds really simplistic, but if people like a song or a piece of art or anything like that, you can be forgiven nearly anything in the entertainm industry, Like we've seen it time and time again. It's a fair criticism, but I think there's a small group of people that are really kind of were not going to like it. In any case, there's been a.
Speaker 5: Lot of commentary talking about how she's stuck in twenty ten, which is kind of where she had like her big I guess, like her big shot at stardom. It was like, well, after I kissed a girl during her teenage dream kind of years. Yeah, and I do remember that. What this music video reminded me of is her music video she did for TGIF Last Friday Night with Rebecca Black.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great music video.
Speaker 5: It just reminded me how it was during that time where Rebecca Black put out Friday she got absolutely slammed on the Internet. I think it was the first form of like severe internet trolling we've ever seen, and she was like thirteen years old. She was just doing it for fun. Katie Perry made a song called Last Friday Night, had Rebecca Black in the music video and literally rebranded Rebecca blackause that song just went off, and it felt like she was trying to do the same thing for Tricia Patus in this music video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's always been really good at tapping into internet memes, internet culture, whether it's bringing people who have had like a viral TikTok on something on stage or something like that back in the day bringing them into her music video. That's the thing. It's like she's doing almost everything right, but it's just not landing. And it's interesting why it's not landing for her, but it is when you look around the other pop stars that we're really gravitating towards at the moment. It's like Chapelmarone has blown up so much and her style is so obviously I think like her current songs are better than Katie Pere's new song. But also it's this very kind of like hyper feminized, like pop star, very girlhood music and we're loving it. And then I think like Sabrina Carpenter is the most intense throwback to an old pop star era of like a tiny blonde woman dancing on the stage, polypood dance around the stage, and a cute little pop star outfits singing silly little songs. Like that's so retro, but it feels like it's really hitting at the moment.
Speaker 5: And Charlie XX well, like they're all three different pop stars, and like they're all pop stars but in three different categories. And it feels like what's interesting with them is that they've been doing music for a long time, but they've never changed themselves for a new album, Like they constantly stick to like what they know, what they love, Like I think a lot of I've seen a lot of memes with them comparing them to the Powerpuff Girls, like shapeul Roan and then Serena Carpenter is like cute c girlye. Charlie XCX is like sexy girly, and then Katy Perry is just like constantly trying to evolve, to keep up, and I feel like she can't keep up right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe like she's slightly mischarged turn her team. They think we want this big feminist anthem, which also sounds like it's been made for TikTok, And we know that's how artists get their songs play at the moment if people sample the song on TikTok. So it feels like that's where it was going. But it's like, we just want to sing about espresso and not feminism at the moment. Whether that's right or wrong, it's just where we're at.
Speaker 5: So the piece I read in today's episode, all the hidden messages in Katy Perry's music video. We will link that in the show notes. It's so funny. Go check that out. Thank you so much for listening to The Spill today. If you want something different, Claire Stevens has interviewed Rob Mills for her podcast, But are you happy they had such a brilliant conversation. We will link that episode in our show notes. We will see you back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,