Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm Am A mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Unleash, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh.
Speaker 1: If you have spent.
Speaker 2: Hours trying to crimp your hair, welcome, your found your people.
Speaker 1: So, who is on the couch today?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: I'm Mary Cuss, I'm an actress, rider, I'm Brune Pevendre, a film and TV producer.
Speaker 3: Grace Bam Bam lamb fashion stylers.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Kat Mahoney, my honey, my honey. Right, okay, wherever you're listening and clencher jewel, clencher, pelvic floor. Let's get ready to unleash.
Speaker 1: Okay, who wants the floor?
Speaker 3: Oh go Grace, As you might not know that I am in love with Lewis Hamilton, seven times world champion, a former one eight times in my book, and he is the David Beckham of F one. Okay, welcome to my world. And Jason knows about this.
Speaker 4: You know, infidelity, it's pretty clear on your social media.
Speaker 1: Very clear.
Speaker 3: And recently there were rumors about him dating Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 4: It was more than rumors, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: So at the.
Speaker 3: Beginning was rumors, but now they've hard launched their relationship in the formulaa Monico Grand Prix because she went to the Grand Prix. Now all his loyal f one fans are so against this, including me, right, So I feel like I need to say something to my Lewis Hamilton. So Lewis listen to me. I don't think she's right for you, because clearly I'm more right for you than she is.
Speaker 1: Grace, I've got to ask, why do you think she's so wrong?
Speaker 3: I just can't comprehend that someone like him, who's so good on and off the track, all the amount of work that he's done off the track to help the underprivileged kids or the charity works that he's done, he is just a good human, whereas hers all about attention seeking and she's just what kind of talent has she got?
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't really know, And as this number one fan, I want to say to Sir Louis, ditch her because you can do better. I don't think Kim is right for you because I am right for you clearly, and as much as she is all that, I just don't think she's your woman. So as a loyal fan, I am totally against it. What I want to ask you, ladies, have you ever worn a girlfriend when you see that they're dating someone who's very dodgy or not right for her, and what happened to that relationship?
Speaker 4: Mah, Well, I have a very close male friend and he was dating someone and I didn't think it was for maybe the right reasons. He's quite wealthy, he's great guy, one of the best people you could ever have a friend. And I just felt like she was very icy of all his friends, and there was like a real negative energy. I didn't say anything because it was traveling fast in a very serious direction. But it didn't last, and now he's with someone that we all love. But no, I didn't say anything.
Speaker 2: I'm a real worse when it comes to saying stuff to people who were dating the wrong people, because I just think when I was younger, I'd said it to a few people and then they got married, you know, So I'm just I'm really cautious about doing that. Also, I have been that nightmare friend that has gone with all of the dramas that a current boyfriend has given me, you know, really like kind of got into the nitty gritty of what a douchebag he was they've totally agreed we should split up. We've split up, and then I've got back together with that person, and then that person, your friend is just sat there going, oh, I've said all this shit about them, and now I've got.
Speaker 5: That person.
Speaker 4: Oh where I'm too early when they split, I'm too early. I go in too hard, too honest. Oh my god, like you're so much better off.
Speaker 5: He's this, he's that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just go full like I'm all about you, and they always get back together, and then I'm the idiot who told the truth. So I've stopped doing it. I'm really cautious now. In fact, I did it the other day where someone was talking about a breakup and I thought I was doing the right thing to say, oh, you know, they're not that smart, you can do better, and they went full defensive mode of that. So I'm out on honesty. I'm out on honesty. I wish I could be that honest friend, but I can't.
Speaker 5: I've done both.
Speaker 3: I've won my friends and they've also worn me. But I think with relationships sometimes you have to go through it until you hit rock bottom or until you can see that person's not good for you, and then you leave.
Speaker 4: Has anyone ever told you you're dating the wrong person?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, A friend did. In the early days. The guy that took my cherry was ten years older than me. To take it, he took it on holiday with somebody else.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 5: I think it's popped my cherry.
Speaker 2: Just to clarify, yeah, yeah, pop, he took my popped, he popped my balloon. I mean that was never gonna work. Like I was seventeen, he was twenty seven. So my girlfriend was just I think preempting the heartbreak that came. Two months after he popped my cherry.
Speaker 4: I went out with a guy that was very polarizing. It wasn't I wouldn't say we're an official couple, but we dated for quite a while. He was a lot older than me. And this friend, this male friend that was with someone that I didn't think was great for him, was the one that pulled me to the side and said, are you really thinking about this? This person's got a terrible reputation. I don't know about this. I'm really worried about you, and you know what, I agreed with him, but I still went out with that person for a little bit.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think who it is now? Is it a famous football commentator?
Speaker 4: Piss off.
Speaker 5: To take my mind back in the day, Next brilliant girls.
Speaker 4: I've got a confession, Jake, premium on screen drama. Yes, that you'll enjoy for adults, for grown ups. But here's my dirty little secret. So I can't get enough of this kind of sexy teen drama that is taking the world by storm. I'm talking about off campus. I'm talking about the summer I turn pretty. I'm talking about every summer after. I'm talking about hated rivalry. Like there's just so much out there for the young people right now, and I'm watching all of it.
Speaker 5: I love it. Do I have a problem?
Speaker 4: No, I get it. I mean, look, love is never more exciting, I think than when it's crushy and when it's innocent. But Mary, it's not innocent. Like we grew up on the OC and not grew up. I mean I was older when I was watching it, but like we grew up on Felicity and like that stuff that Weeginex's grew up and is so tame compared to what I'm talking about, like the off campuses.
Speaker 5: Of the world.
Speaker 4: Do you love it because your daughter loves it. Yes, I think I love it because there's something we can share. But it's not just like young women. Like apparently the biggest demographic tuning in is women who are thirty to fifty five.
Speaker 1: I am in that demographic. I am mad for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you've been, if you know og and Lisha, you'll know that I talked about heated drive away in.
Speaker 1: At one back in the day.
Speaker 2: I'm only halfway through off Campus. Holy Moly, Holy Moley. And the good thing is Hannah and Garrett are the leads in that. Hannah is a nineteen year old actress. Garrett is played by a twenty nine year old man, so he is fair game.
Speaker 1: As far as I'm concerned to perve on.
Speaker 2: I think it works at our age because it brings that innocence back and a bit like Mary said, it takes you back to being seventeen. So for me when I was sort of sixteen or seventeen, apart from wanting to leave the small town I lived in, you know, and have a great career, I just wanted the happy ever after. All the pop songs, all the movies we watched were all promising you meet the guy and then it'll be fabulous, And back then you had that hope that there would be a happy ever after. As we get to our age, even if you're still with your happy ever after, you know, there's sleepless nights, there's kids, there's kind of you know, there's separate bedrooms, there is mortgages, there's stress, there's dishwashers to empty.
Speaker 1: When you're seventeen, you don't.
Speaker 5: Have any of that.
Speaker 4: Watching it to reclaim that optimism a bit for yourself.
Speaker 2: I think so, And I think it takes you back, like you feel watching it, you're back in that space again. You know, it is just and it's steamy. Yeah, it's steamy, and it's great. And you also it's not a guilty secret, you know, like that we are the biggest demo watching these kind of these movies.
Speaker 1: Is it because.
Speaker 4: Back in those days, when we were younger, we didn't have great expectations when it came to relationships. It was usually a pretty physical thing, it was a chemistry thing. It was all in our imaginations. We didn't expect them to have great income, come with no drama, you know, like all the things we put on adult relationships and all the expectations and pressures we put on adult relationships. Is it because it was just pure lustful love, you know, or whatever that crushiness was that we don't tend to feel the od we yet. But I think it's actually a little bit cultural, like the Americans, like there's a reason. I mean, there's not that many Australian shows that we can point to that do this right, but there is something the Americans do, Like the Americans have a college experience in a way that we do not, right. The Americans have like they like I remember going to America to live and they were like, well, we're dating, and the whole idea of dating is like a real thing. You have to declare your exclusive where we just like sleep with people in Australia we have like one night stance. We're not like it's very different, it's very structured. So I think there's something that we romanticize about American drama. Like This New One I watched every summer after that's a massive book series. I was so involved and engaged because it is like really nostalgic and really basic romance in terms of like will these two people who you want to be together be together?
Speaker 2: You're so open when You're young to love, aren't you, And I think as we age, you're so much more guarded to falling in love. So these shows allow you as the viewer to just fall in the way that you did when you're a teenager, you know, without without escape.
Speaker 1: Net.
Speaker 3: I have to disagree. I watched one episode and I hated it so much, which because first of all, off campum camp. Because first of all, I don't find any of those people attractive. I mean, I do understand all the muscle from Brussels, or all the bumbs and all the tits, but none I find none of them attractive. It was way too Americanized for me, and I just thought it was just too I just, you know what, because Bruno Pepperoni kept banging on about it. I started watching it and me and Jason, my husband, I had to fast forward the whole thing. I just couldn't deal with it. And then I start watching Heated Rivalry and I love it. First episode I was very different because when I watched something in I look at the camera angle, I look at the artistic direction, I look at everything about the lighting. Off Campus does nothing of that, and I'm just like thinking, I'm wasting wasting my time watching that show.
Speaker 5: Maybe you're not the audience.
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 4: But I will say, obviously ice skating, you know, getting a big comeback here.
Speaker 5: Maybe if you want to find someone there.
Speaker 4: Here's the lesson and all the shows head to the ice skating ring.
Speaker 5: Girls.
Speaker 3: So, ladies, would you want to go back in time to a teenage self? Me?
Speaker 5: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not to relive it, but I'd like to go back and tell her it's all going to be okay, even the shipbits, and that it is. There is no happy ever after, It just continues in highs and lows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Oh, I don't know whether i'd want to. There were good times and there were crushing times as well. I think that was really hard. You're trying to find out who you are and where you fit and all of those things. But I do miss that crushiness. I do miss someone walking past you and you're losing your breath, you know, all all of that stuff that lived in our heads so much, and you know, our really overactive imaginations.
Speaker 5: So I miss that.
Speaker 1: Brunes.
Speaker 5: No, I definitely don't want to go back.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think every stage is kind of amazing, but I definitely don't want to go back. But I saw a great Instagram post the other day, you guys, probably on the same feet as me, but it was a woman dancing and she was like, I'm not trying to convince people I'm thirty five. I'm showing thirty five year olds how good it is to be fifty five something like that. It was something like that, and I was like, that's how I feel. Do you guys think that like part of the appeal of these shows is because it's of the complexity of like young adult life right now, Oh, an escape.
Speaker 3: When you're that young, you're very free, right, free from trouble, financial burden, You're just trying to find your feet, you know, in the world, right, So I think it's all about how to build a relationship with your friends. Just having fun getting drunk.
Speaker 1: Is so freeing.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's a sign of the times where people are watching more of this stuff because it's so difficult to go out there and spend money because of the cost of living. And do you think people are escaping to romance and to young, you know, more optimistic ways of being. Do you think that's as popularity? Yes, I think that, like technology has a lot to do with it, because I think we're so you know whatever, electronics AI, everyone's so desensitized that I think people are craving the kind of basic things, and I think romance is thriving right now in film and TV because of that. I just don't think we had an shows to watch with our parents. I don't remember watching anything. I mean, obviously my parents were migrants, so what would I sit and watch with them? They didn't really want to watch English speaking shows, and back then maybe SBS had a few Greek shows. They'd watch the news and maybe on like Happy Days in the Brady Barmy we did, but we didn't watch it as a family.
Speaker 5: You didn't see I know.
Speaker 4: I mean what I know from Mcropolis now the show that I was in that birth Defie. People loved watching that with their parents because it was one of those shows that you know, minimized, marginalized Australians. New Australians I suppose what they were called back then, could watch this show. You know, two generations could watch the same show and get the same thing out of it. I didn't have that experience with my parents in terms of what I watched when I was young, do you think there's a lot of mothers that are watching these shows with their kids, and maybe that's where the older demographics.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of co viewing.
Speaker 4: I think when these shows really take off, there's two things that happened. Either people are viewing it in different generations and demographics, or they're watching it repeatedly. Yeah. Right, like the summer I turned pretty these kids just watched and watched and watched.
Speaker 5: You know the boys Wednesday.
Speaker 4: They're not watching it once stranger things, they're watching it over and over again and they're debating it.
Speaker 3: But you come watch off campus with Lewis?
Speaker 5: Can you?
Speaker 1: Or heated rivalry?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, So I think that's just some solo viewing at my house.
Speaker 5: I'm obviously a bad parent.
Speaker 2: Speaking of team drama, can we do a little blast in the past?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Something I read this week actually just took me right back down memory lane. Okay, So I am English, but we moved to South Wales and I was four and moved to a town called porth Call. I grew up in Newton, which was a tiny little village in poorth Call, and our house was right next to this twelfth century church. Literally you could climb from my house into the church graveyard. Kylie Minogue and Quentin Tarantino just filmed some scenes there. I heard about this, Yes, anyway, it took me back to remember that age where you were active in a pashing sense or a snogging sense, probably not having sex, but you know, having the kisses.
Speaker 1: But you didn't have a car. The guy that you with didn't have a car.
Speaker 2: You were not bringing them into the house for a snog. You couldn't go to bars, you know, a cinema for us was twenty minutes away. We were really limited for where you could cop off for people, and so there were two places to pash in Newton Village when you were like thirteen or fourteen.
Speaker 1: There was the bush shelter.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now, the good thing was the bush shelter was kind of like a quadrant, so there were four sides to the bush shelter.
Speaker 1: So if you've gone on a date with a lot of.
Speaker 2: Other couples, you you could take a corner and not be seen. So it was the bush shelter or the graveyard. And this is a time when we're trying to do Wiegi bars, when we're all scared shitless with all of the rating movies we've never seen.
Speaker 1: It's pitch black. It gets dark in the UK at five pm.
Speaker 2: If you're there on a Friday night at ten pm passing in a graveyard, it does give you the hebgb's. So you try not to think about ghosts. When do you know when you're heavy petting and having a snog.
Speaker 4: Were you worried that your parents were just next door that they could possibly look over the things?
Speaker 1: There was no street lights, no down lights. It's scared. It was just you and a lot of dead people. Yes, it was fine.
Speaker 2: Most of these people had been buried there since like the sixteen hundred, so you're pretty sure that they weren't popping.
Speaker 1: Up, but still popping up. A few things popped on the jeans. Anyway.
Speaker 2: My point is I was doing my business in a twelfth century Sue.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you're indug You've to go business.
Speaker 2: Doing the business. And as you know, it was just heavy petting, it was just snogging. So ladies, blast from the past. Where did you guys?
Speaker 1: There's weirdest place you have snogged or pashed?
Speaker 4: Well, I from a very young age. A lot of us, I'm sure worked part time jobs, and I got a job working in the ice cream department at Maya did the City Department. It was a food court type of thing, and I worked in the ice cream.
Speaker 5: I think they should bring that back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously I'm not a big fan of ice cream, but I worked there and I remember I had to go back to a storeroom to get something and the young boy that I was also working at that place with he came to help me carry some things back and we had a pass in the collroom.
Speaker 5: In the ballroom, it was Colledge.
Speaker 3: It was who started it first.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. Maybe I was like gigging like an idiot on the way sending the message.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. I can't remember, but I just just remember it was hot in a very cold environment. Well let me let me let me take you to something that is literally the physical opposite of that. Yeah, my I would say most anonymous.
Speaker 5: Adventure inurist pash occurred.
Speaker 4: I've been living overseas for a few years and I came back and I was staying to remember the Como Hotel in Melbourne, which was the place.
Speaker 5: Okay, so picture me. I'm going up to.
Speaker 4: The pool and I'm in a robe and the lift doors open, and standing before me is.
Speaker 5: Like an Adonis.
Speaker 4: Wow, gorgeous model like Adonnis. And he's in a robe and he says, my key's not working to the spa. Can someone let me in? And I go, well, I'm going in there.
Speaker 2: And so I let him in.
Speaker 4: He follows me into the sauna. Yes, not the freezer, Mary, the sauna, and some major passion occurred and it was completely names were not exchanged hot hot from room to sauna.
Speaker 3: So I was in a huge park with mountains behind me where people go hiking. Which country I'm not gonna say because then, okay, person will know I'm like talking about him. And it was nine pm. Start off as a snog, and then one thing led to another and the.
Speaker 4: Are you standing up? Are you sitting down?
Speaker 3: And you are standing up in the middle of the park. No one was around, and it was very dark, and as we were snogging, one thing led to another. I found myself, you know, just about to get some action.
Speaker 1: You know, when you.
Speaker 4: Feel in the park, in the park standing up, yes, you know, when you can feel someone's behind you.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 3: It wasn't. My mother by the way, I felt someone was behind me, and we both turn around. There was a group of wild dogs surrounding us.
Speaker 5: Like this story got very dark, right, and.
Speaker 3: Then I thought, oh my god, I'm scared of dogs at that point right now. I love dogs, but when it's like so many of them looking at us, you don't. Like in National Geographic Documentary, when a whole group of like hyhenas looking at you. That was exactly what was happening. And then slowly they were coming towards us. And I was slowly pulling back for this guy and he said, whatever you do, do not run. I mean, I said to him, I can't run with my nickas down my anchors.
Speaker 5: By the way, so we were.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I literally did the moon walk slowly trying to go back to safety. All the dogs coming towards they were coming to us like this, right, I mean, I have to say, like when when they saw my Chinese bun they want a bite of it, I have to say, I have a cute bun. So then I moon walked back and once we got to safety, I ran like a bitch and then escape.
Speaker 5: I went from a snot sexy part moment. Yes horror film Wow.
Speaker 4: We also used to go to the local laundromat that was hot.
Speaker 1: No worry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a laundromer at the top of the street.
Speaker 1: You do it wherever you could, couldn't it?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 5: I would not go to a graveyard.
Speaker 4: It's tragic when you have to hang out at a laundromaticon we're not doing your washing with Greek mother doing my washing, but I'm hanging out a load of sexy What's happened to just simple people watching? I wonder because I read Sarah Wilson when she got asked why she had moved to Paris, and one of her simplest ways of justifying her move to Paris. This is a well known writer and podcaster and she's got a huge social media following, she said, because the chairs face outward, and there is an art form to people watching in Europe. They like to sit out and watch life pass them by and people pass them by, and it's my favorite pastime. I can't get enough of that stuff no matter where I am, whether it's at a bus stop or a tram stop, picking up my kid from school, at the lights, I want to see what people are doing. But it seems these days people are so interested in what's happening virus screen that they're forgetting to look up and look out. So I was listening to the brilliant Esther Perell, who was fantastic. She was on No Filter with Kate Langbrook and she was talking about how much of a dying art form it is to just talk to strangers. Just have these little, beautiful community moments of just talking to someone of which you're not trying to get anything out of them. It's just saying hello, smiling, studying a conversation. Have a listened to what she has to say.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, when I landed, I was waiting for the uber and a young woman was standing in front of me and she heard me leave a message to someone and she turned around and she started talking and we had a little bit of a chatter.
Speaker 4: You here first time, Yes I am, No.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 6: And I just told I said, wow, this is becoming an exception. And it was so nice because we had a long queue and learned lot of things. She learned a lot of things.
Speaker 5: But it is no longer a given.
Speaker 6: It's the fact that the spontaneity of it, the serendipity of it is no longer just an obvious thing. It's it's you notice it, but also when you ad the recipient of it, you realize, oh my god, I don't get this so often anymore.
Speaker 1: I used to this used to be part of my daily life.
Speaker 6: That kind of what I would call a social lubricant is not present. So then everything starts to feel like it's an unusual effort.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then you become suspicious of any encounter because you're so unused to it.
Speaker 6: Yes, more and more people began to lose their social skills. That there is a massive social atrophy. When you don't use a muscle, the muscle atrophies. It is no different in our social life.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I grew up on a main road in Collingwood. We watch the world walk past every single day. We knew our neighbors' names, we knew what nationality they were, where the parents worked. You go to the local milk bar, you talk to the person there. They'd shout you something. I still talk to strangers all the time.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That is one of my favorite pastimes. But it seems to be a dying art form. And I think that's when you discover things that you don't anticipate. I was in an uber the other day going to the airport, and the guy that picked me up didn't seem that helpful. Suddenly they don't like opening the boot or helping you in put your case in the boot. And I'm like, oh I gay a bit chili con carnty from this guy was cool des ice, And we sat in the car and four minutes in he spills his guts to me, because he I'm just a genuinely curious person. I'm not going to tell anyone except for a listening audience on a podcast, Long Story Long, this guy tells me about how his marriage was falling apart, his wife started having affairs, He went through a really hard time, and then he came back to his marriage and decided that he was going to fight for it, and then told me that they're swinging, okay, swung in a direction I anticipated either. By the time I got to the airport, I knew more about this person than probably anyone else sexually that I'm close to. So I just wonder, you know, like, are we missing out on discovering things about how people live because we're not having those conversations. Are we losing our social lubric Well, I'm.
Speaker 2: A chatterbox and I love stories, and I think you and I are similar when it comes to curiosity. And sometimes I'm on my own for a few days, you know, if I'm writing at home, if Lewis is at his dad's, I don't see anyone. So I am starved for that. So I am the person that will just chat to someone in Nicole's queue. There are people in Centennial Park that I speak to every day when I walk. Any of their names, but we've like looped each there for like seven rays. So there's a lovely Russian guy who's about hundred who looks a bit like al Pacino.
Speaker 1: But I live for this stuff. Yeah, and you just get the.
Speaker 2: Gold, so I'm probably, Yeah, it's definitely not dying in my world.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's so dying in mine. I mean, I'm a little bit of the opposite to you, do I think? I mean, I have this joke with my husband.
Speaker 4: He goes, oh, he goes on a plane, and I go, oh, how'd you sleep? He goes, oh, not much. I was just talking to the person next to me the whole night, and I was like, what are you talking about? Like, I'm on the plane, the headphones go on, I'm sending the signal.
Speaker 5: Do not interact with me because I'm just like in the zone.
Speaker 4: And I think I've become more like that now, I will say, I will have.
Speaker 5: The occasional conversation.
Speaker 4: In fact, I had a similar experience with a driver recently actually in Sydney, and he told me the most amazing life story, Like I was like, I kind of wanted to give hi my number by the end of the drive. So I do agree with esther that it's a dying art and that we need to be more open. And I certainly see in young people that they barely call their friends and interact in usk questions, let alone strangers. So I think I could probably do with a bit more of it. My husband's the opposite. He actually believes, like he'll get in a cab and even if someone's giving off negative energy, he believes he can shift their energy, and so he'll always engage and find out the story and kind of get to the heart of it. And I am a bit envious of people like that because I don't think I am that person.
Speaker 3: I love talking to everyone off I'm so good at it. Yeah, I mean not to blow haunt, but I started when I moved to Melbourne year ago. I thought, we don't know anybody. Yeah, I want to meet people, so I start my IG series MSG Melbourne stuff O great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 3: I go up to people who look cool and I say, can I take a picture of you? And we start talking and you know, we start connecting on Instagram. And as you know, I'm a huge Formula one fan, so that's how I meet form On fans. When they wear anything merged from F one, I will go up to them, especially if they were Lewis Hamilton, the best of all time. I will go up and strike a conversation. And I have my own F one club, you know, WhatsApp group, so I find it quite easy to talk to people. And I also want to set an example to my kid how you strike a conversation, because nowadays young people don't know how to start conversation. And when I talk to people a bit younger, sometimes I don't even look at you.
Speaker 5: In the eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they just find it really hard to engage. And I really don't want my son to become like that. So he's very used to me chatting away with strangers talk about this and that. I mean on the way from Melbourne to here on my flight, there was a girl she checked in a massive cello. It was so big that everyone.
Speaker 5: Was like, what the hell.
Speaker 3: So I went up to her and said it's a dead body in there, and she goes, aha, yeah, And I said how long you've been playing? She's been playing since she was eight. She goes around the country. I mean, there's people have such interesting stories, and I think we need to share more stories. I loved chatting to people and just get to know what's going with their lives and then we say goodbye, no string attached.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do it from the stage every single show I do. There is half of that is improvised, where I'm just talking to the audience, and that's everyone's favorite part of the show because then the people in the audience get to start and I just think we've got to keep curiosity alive. I just think social currency is the most valuable one. If you can't feel confident to walk into a room where you can strike up a conversation with someone, you're really handstrung by what the opportunities are going to come your way. You can't rely on a piece of paper anymore. We know that a degree is not going to open doors anymore. We know that if you know someone that can open a door, that's considered like nepotism, So that's got a bit of a stench to it. So you can only really rely on your confidence, and your confidence comes from being able to connect with people yourself. I think the most powerful people in the world are the ones that are not privileged by money or attractiveness, but by character, by having the confidence to go in there and feel like you can improvise in real time with people, and you know, I have a conversation, exchange ideas and make a connection that way. That seems to be a dying art form. And I really worry about young people because most of them can't really even hold a conversation or carry one, or even answer a question beyond a yes or no, which I think is really concerning. Can I just like be counted to that because we all have a lot of young people in our lives, and I don't know, I see them kind of starting conversations and kind of thinking and being interested in things and kind of engaging with each other in a way that or with each other. Yeah, but with a friend group, with groups like I see them kind of engaging and being in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, kids will always play, right, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a young person being even able to have a conversation with an older person that is not their parent or you know, or an older person actually showing some genuine interest into a younger person, not just doing what's convenient, what's logical, or what's exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, may you started this to talk about this people watching. When I get into my building's lift, I always struck a conversation with my neighbors. And one time I was in the lift by myself. Two people came in, a couple older couple. They must he must be in his seventies and she must be late late sixties, and they were very lovely dovey with each other. And I started saying, because there was so lovely dovey, I said, Jesus, get a room, let me in, or something like that, right, And then she she just turned around looked at me. She goes, oh, hello, sorry about no, no, no, no, you guys are so loved I was so cute. And then she said, oh, we just met at the party last night. I'm like, oh, that's so sweet. And then I said to her, watch out for that one to the guy. Pointing at the guy, I said, he's a naughty one. He looked at me and gave me a look, and that's when I thought, oh my god, I've seen him with his wife.
Speaker 1: No I know, no. So then he looked.
Speaker 3: At me like with like dagger's eyes, and I quickly said, I'm only joking. And then we both went to the car. We got out, and then he makes some kind of joke and I was like, oh my god, that was a bit crazy. So that's a problem.
Speaker 1: I have been so.
Speaker 5: Nosy paying attention.
Speaker 3: Yes, too much attention.
Speaker 2: It's that time in the show where we take a problem from a listener.
Speaker 1: We call it other people's problems. Yay.
Speaker 2: This is the part of the show where you, the listeners, send in your dilemmas and we, the hosts, give you terrible advice. You ready, ladies, Okay. Today's problem comes from Katie, who says, dear unleash ladies, my younger sister has been posting things on Facebook that I'm a bit befuddled by. She posts about our childhood with long captions about breaking generational cycles and how toxic it was growing up. The problem is I was there, and while our parents weren't perfect, I don't really know what she's talking about. Last week, she posted a photo of versus kids with the caption no one knew what was happening behind closed doors. Oh but from what I remember, we were just eating apricot chicken and watching Hey hey it's Saturday.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Cousins are commenting things like you're so brave, and I'm like, what is going on? Am I the asshole? Can two siblings have completely different childhoods in the same house? Is this an attention thing?
Speaker 1: Help? All right, ladies?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Do you think what advice she needs?
Speaker 5: To have a conversation with her sister?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, if that's.
Speaker 4: Not a light small thing, right, Like, obviously her sisters had some kind of negative experience. I don't think she would be randomly posting that's pretty inflammatory. So my advice is, yeah, have an honest conversation with your sister and find out what's there. Well, I do think that two siblings can be looking at things from different points of view and without I mean, it does the way it's written, it sounds like she has created this whole other story that maybe didn't exist. But maybe maybe something did happen to this sister, and if she is lying, maybe something happened to her for her to want to tell that lie. So I don't know. Look, my brother and I grew up in the same house, and when we look back at history, he'll not have noticed something that I did, and vice versa. And I always say to him, well, between the two of us, we've got it covered. Because he was looking at it through his lens and I was looking at it through mine. And I did a one woman show and I gave him the script just before I started rehearsing it and said, you know, you should read this. It's about our life. And he came up the stairs and he said, I don't remember that ever happening in that room that night. And my mother didn't know what we were talking talking about, and she said, what are you talking about? And I retold a scene that happened at a hospital with a family friend of ours that was dying and what I witnessed in the moments after the death, and that was like the highlight scene in the show. And my mother, without knowing that that was the scene we were talking about. Said what are you talking about? And I said, you remember that time when we were at the hospital and such and such died, And she went straight to the bit that I highlighted in the in the script. So my brother said, I was there. I wasn't looking at that. So sometimes I think we're looking at very different things. It is the same house. There is a part of the way that that's written that makes me think that the sister is probably making a lot of it up, or at least amplifying it to a degree that maybe me makes you think that because her own sibling is seeing it very very loud to your point, like, I mean, I'll remember things that my mum will go that didn't happen. I'll be like, I've worked part time but much because no, you didn't, but did you know?
Speaker 5: I think not. I think she has a better memory than me.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying, like some people really specific things from children, and some people just have blocked.
Speaker 3: I also think that the brilliant Gabel Mates always said this, a group of children's siblings live in the same household would have very different experiences, right, And I think sometimes with siblings like I've had this experience, not that anything crazy happened, but I told a story once in front of my siblings, and one of them said to me, why you always make it up, like as if we had a really bad childhood and it wasn't my intention. And then I thought, well, that's your thought. This is my story, my side of a story. We're so different, so exactly your point, Bruno, like, sometimes when things happen to you, you look at it very different lens to your siblings, because we're all so different and we take things so differently. And I kind of feel this this girl's sister.
Speaker 5: I don't think she's lying.
Speaker 3: I think she's desperately trying to tell her older sister or youngest sister a story that she's not even asking, and whether it's severe or not, all you have to do is ask her and maybe say, you know what, I'd much rather you'd come and talk to me than put it on Facebook.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think Katie, you say like, I'm trying to understand what it is you're talking about.
Speaker 1: It agreed, and not come with judgment.
Speaker 2: I guess if Katie approaches his sister with perhaps we've seen things differently or I don't remember things the way that you do. You know, share with me, take me through it, Talk me through it, how you feeling, what happened?
Speaker 1: You know, what can we do about it?
Speaker 2: I am not pro putting this stuff on Facebook, though, I do think this is not always the place for people to pick over you.
Speaker 3: But also I feel sometimes with families and siblings that they the level of respect is very different from, you know, from maybe how they treat their friends, because if you're family, they feel like, oh, you know, what you're feeling doesn't matter, because we're siblings, you know, we should it should be fine. But I think, especially in my family, because we're also such strong women, we sometimes does each other's feelings without even realizing. Now, at fifty three young, I realize that's what we've been doing all the time, and this has got a change.
Speaker 4: I feel like I need to say what Ginny would say, like, I'm a Google doctor.
Speaker 5: I'm not your doctor. I'm a Google psychologist.
Speaker 4: I'm not your psychologist, So please take what I've said.
Speaker 1: With a look.
Speaker 4: I obviously look at everything through a theatrical lens, like I look for character, and I look for comedy, and I look for tragedy. And I look for those things that serve my work and the way I like to read into people's lives and create theater out of the every day. So I come at it from that point of view. My brother is a very different character to me, so I'm sure he sees it differently. Look, it might be just a character difference, or maybe something else happened that Katie doesn't know about, and a conversation to get closer to understanding why there's such a disconnect in the history that they share would be a healthy Wow.
Speaker 2: Aren't we in a privileged place where our listeners feel safe to send things like this into us? And we are the people that you can tell when you've got no one to tell. Yes, anyway, I hope that helps Katie. And if you're listening and you want to send in one of your problems, please do dm us at Unleashed Dot Show on Instagram.
Speaker 5: We love your problem.
Speaker 1: We do love your problem. Talk to us. I think that's all we've got time for, ladies. It's flown by, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So if you have a friend who has a shitty partner, perhaps like ce Lewis Hamilton, as Grace suggested, or if you're enter teen drama as much as myself and Brunna. Or if you've got a friend who's passed somebody in a graveyard, share this episode with them. We don't have big budget here, we don't have a billboard yet, but what we do have is the unleashers who can share in a very gen x way with other gen xers. So if you can share this episode, that would be fabulous. If you want to reach out to us or message us, go to unleash dot show Instagram and we might even.
Speaker 1: Ask you to send a voice message that we will then play on the show.
Speaker 2: All right, then we will be back next Tuesday, or as we like to.
Speaker 3: Say, see me Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, and stay unleashed.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you've ever walked into a room and forgotten why you were there, woken up at three am for absolutely no reason, or suddenly thought, hang on, is this my personality now or is it hormones?
Speaker 1: This is for you. Very Parry on Demand is here.
Speaker 2: This is Mumma MIA's Perimenopause series built especially for you. I've joined forces with Holly Wainwright, Lee Campbell, and our very own doctor Ginny Mansburg and twenty five Australia's leading women's health experts to talk everything menopause, brain fog, weight gain, sleep, rage, changing periods, HRT, libido, mood. There are more than twenty sessions, all completely on demand and bingeable, so you can watch them in your own home, in your own trackies with a cup of tea. Head to the link in our show notes now to get access for just fifty nine dollars. That's forty percent off, but only for a limited time. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on